Killer of Hee Haw's 'Stringbean' denied parole

Peter H.

Aug 9, 2008, 8:49:49 PM8/9/08
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/NEWS03/808090353

Stringbean's killer denied parole
Victims' friends, family help thwart John Brown's release
By KATE HOWARD • Staff Writer • August 9, 2008

The man who shot and killed a Hee Haw star and his wife 34 years ago
will remain in prison, after the parole board denied his third attempt
at freedom.

John A. Brown got as close to release as he's ever been in July, when
two members of the Tennessee Board of Probation and Parole
acknowledged his rehabilitation and granted him votes in favor of
parole. A half-dozen family members and friends were there to speak of
Brown's commitment to the Lord and bettering himself. But once word of
the hearing got out to friends and fans of Dave "Stringbean" Akeman
and his wife, Estelle, the tide turned.

The district attorney general called on the board to keep Brown, 57,
in prison, saying his crimes were so callous and depraved that his
rehabilitation was irrelevant.

More than 1,000 people in the community where the Akemans died signed
a petition opposing Brown's release. And the subsequent four votes
cast by board members in the weeks after were against Brown, enough to
officially deny his request on Friday.

The parole board ruled, as it did in two previous hearings, that the
seriousness of the crime would be depreciated if he were released. The
board recommended the case be reviewed again in 2011.

"I feel justice has been done," said Ramona Jones, widow of Grand Ole
Opry star Grandpa Jones. "They were our best friends at that time, and
they were the best friends we ever had. I'm certainly glad to hear the
news."

Intruders didn't find cash
On Nov. 10, 1973, Stringbean and Estelle Akeman were performing at the
Grand Ole Opry while John Brown and his cousin, Doug Marvin Brown,
were ransacking the Akemans' farmhouse near Ridgetop. When the Akemans
returned home, Stringbean got into a gunfight with John Brown and was
shot. His wife tried to run away, but she was chased down and shot at
close range.

Ramona and Grandpa Jones discovered the bodies the next morning, when
Grandpa Jones went to pick up Stringbean for a hunting trip.
Stringbean was known to carry a lot of cash on him, and the Brown
cousins had been looking for it in the home. They never found the
bounty. But almost 25 years later, $20,000 of moth-bitten and useless
money was found in the Akeman fireplace.

Over three decades in prison, Brown has assembled a de facto group of
supporters working for his release. His wife, Debra Brown, told the
parole board he would have a job at Cornerstone Church.

"I truly feel that he is extremely repentant of his sins, what he
did," said Pat Dittes, a nurse who treated Brown six years ago. "It
saddens me that we can all preach forgiveness, yet we can't forgive."

Dennis Birdwell, a former Metro officer who gathered petition
signatures, said he feels like "right prevailed."

Contact Kate Howard at 615-726-8968 or kaho...@tennessean.com.

plainolamerican

Aug 12, 2008, 3:13:14 PM8/12/08
On Aug 9, 7:49 pm, peter7...@aolc.om (Peter H.) wrote:
> http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/NEWS03/...
> Contact Kate Howard at 615-726-8968 or kahow...@tennessean.com.

"I truly feel that he is extremely repentant of his sins, what he
did," said Pat Dittes, a nurse who treated Brown six years ago. "It
saddens me that we can all preach forgiveness, yet we can't forgive."

-------
idiot - regardless of forgiveness he has to do the time
he's damn lucky he wasn't executed

I knew String and Estelle. They were fine folks.
John Brown should NEVER get out of prison.

KingCountryI@aol.com (Noah Tall)

Aug 17, 2008, 12:23:00 AM8/17/08
On Aug 12, 12:13 pm, plainolamerican <plainolameri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> John Brown should NEVER get out of prison.-

EXACTLY ! I'd even go one further and say he should have been
executed ! End of story . The taking of someone's life, is the
ultimate crime, sin, whatever you want to call it. Excuses are like
a**holes, everybody's got one and they ALL stink. This has nothing to
do with forgiveness, because I personally believe you must forgive and
harbor no ill will toward the criminal, or it will eat you inside .
Having said that, justice DEMANDS your life in return for the one you
took, and it's ALWAYS with great sorrow, sadness and regret that the
sentence should be carried out. BUT, carried out it must be.

You can give me all the focus group studies you want, BUT ... I still
believe the death penalty is a deterrent. Not 25 years LATER, like we
do today, but as soon as possible. Everybody wants to spend 25 years
tying up the process with appeals, when in MOST cases, the accused
gave the victim less than 25 seconds worth of appeals for their life,
and then denied them coldheartedly.

What goes around comes around. They should get EXACTLY the same result
as their victims. Besides, if all these bleeding hearts are right,
there's a God and a heaven, so we're actually doing these criminals a
favor. : )

Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Aug 18, 2008, 11:10:01 PM8/18/08

<KingCo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Damn, you actually made sense.

Anthony Ferrante

Aug 19, 2008, 12:39:33 AM8/19/08

>> > John A. Brown got as close to release as he's ever been in July, when
>> > two members of the Tennessee Board of Probation and Parole
>> > acknowledged his rehabilitation and granted him votes in favor of
>> > parole.

Good! I hope he gets disappointed every year until he dies, which I
hope is slow and painful. With any luck, maybe he'll die from AIDS
from being raped.

> A half-dozen family members and friends were there to speak of
>> > Brown's commitment to the Lord and bettering himself.

So what! Does that bring Stingbean or his wife back?

> But once word of
>> > the hearing got out to friends and fans of Dave "Stringbean" Akeman
>> > and his wife, Estelle, the tide turned.

Yes! God is just!!

>> > More than 1,000 people in the community where the Akemans died signed
>> > a petition opposing Brown's release. And the subsequent four votes
>> > cast by board members in the weeks after were against Brown, enough to
>> > officially deny his request on Friday.

Thank you people!!!! The people have spoken!

>> > "I feel justice has been done," said Ramona Jones, widow of Grand Ole
>> > Opry star Grandpa Jones.

Not really as the asshole is still alive. I hope he never gets out.

>> > Intruders didn't find cash
>> > On Nov. 10, 1973, Stringbean and Estelle Akeman were performing at the
>> > Grand Ole Opry while John Brown and his cousin, Doug Marvin Brown,
>> > were ransacking the Akemans' farmhouse near Ridgetop. When the Akemans
>> > returned home, Stringbean got into a gunfight with John Brown and was
>> > shot. His wife tried to run away, but she was chased down and shot at
>> > close range.

And this creep should be let out???

>> > Over three decades in prison, Brown has assembled a de facto group of
>> > supporters working for his release. His wife, Debra Brown, told the
>> > parole board he would have a job at Cornerstone Church.

If that church would hire a killer, please remind me never to go there
and especially not give any money to them. I am sure they are
supporting the killer with monetary gifts.

>> > "I truly feel that he is extremely repentant of his sins, what he
>> > did," said Pat Dittes, a nurse who treated Brown six years ago. "It
>> > saddens me that we can all preach forgiveness, yet we can't forgive."

I don't preach forgiveness and I could never forgive him--NEVER! I
really hope he has changed as that will make his imprisonment even
more painful!

>You can give me all the focus group studies you want, BUT ... I still
>believe the death penalty is a deterrent.

Of course it is!! It is the best deterrent. I can honestly say that I
have never seen anyone who was executed return to kill again. I can
also say I had read many accounts of people who changed get out only
to kill again.

As far as the methods being used today as "cruel and unusual", I do
not think they are cruel enough. Do as they do in some Arab countries
and tie a noose around them and have them slowly lifted up by a crane,
say about one or two inches off the ground. Make them strangle to
death, slowly, as the spectators taunt them. People see that and I am
sure they will think twice before killing and if they don't, the crane
is always nearby.

Anthony

KingCountryI@aol.com (Noah Tall)

Aug 20, 2008, 3:01:09 PM8/20/08
On Aug 18, 8:10�pm, "Dr. Winston O'Boogie" <quarryme...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> Damn, you actually made sense.<

You, on the other hand ... : )

Actually scientists have proven that as we age, MOST people gain
intelligence. I hate to be the one to have to tell you, but the FACT
is I ALWAYS make sense, the problem is that in the past apparently
your ignorance prevented you from understanding. : )

Not to worry, at one time we were all almost as ignorant as you are.
The problem for you is we were about 3 weeks old at the time. : )

Hang in there and keep up the good work.

Hopefully, Mommy will reward you with a dish of ice cream !

Good girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plainolamerican

Aug 20, 2008, 4:37:20 PM8/20/08
> Contact Kate Howard at 615-726-8968 or kahow...@tennessean.com.

we can thank that horny couple who spotted them for JB's capture and
conviction

Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Aug 20, 2008, 10:47:07 PM8/20/08

On Aug 18, 8:10?pm, "Dr. Winston O'Boogie" <quarryme...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

Good girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh brother......................
For a dimwit, you seem to be able to string a few words together.
Unfortunately for the rest of us, they don't always make as much sense as
you claim.
It's too bad really, I think you could actually contribute to this group,
but your stupidity always seems to get in the way ;-(

KingCountryI@aol.com (Noah Tall)

Aug 21, 2008, 10:07:06 AM8/21/08
On Aug 20, 7:47�pm, "Dr. Winston O'Boogie" <quarryme...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> Oh brother......................
> For a dimwit, you seem to be able to string a few words together. Unfortunately for the rest of us, they don't always make as much sense as you claim.<

Pssssst. IDGIT. Lose your ego. You CAN'T speak for "the rest of us",
only for YOURSELF. : ) If you can't keep up, don't assume everyone
else is equally clueless. > It's too bad really, I think you could

actually contribute to this group,
> but your stupidity always seems to get in the way ;-( <

Again IDGIT, lose the controlling self importance. Apparently Mommy
told you you were "special" and I hate to be the one to break it to
you, but she was wrong. : ) Not only that, she did you a HUGE
disservice by not giving you any brothers or sisters to play
with . : )

Secondly, you're not qualified to comment on who is or is not capable
of contributing to the group, I AM ! : ) I've forgotten more about
Country music than you'll ever know. End of story.

Finally, I've probably contributed as much or more than ANYONE in the
history of these boards, so I'll let you try to figure out who's
control issues and stupidity is REALLY getting in the way. : )

Maybe you should stick to your "bubble world" . Don't you have some
litter boxes or parakeet cages you could be cleaning ? : )
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Aug 21, 2008, 12:59:08 PM8/21/08

<QueenC...@aol.com> muttered:

Pssssst. IDGIT. Lose your ego. You CAN'T speak for "the rest of us",
only for YOURSELF. : ) If you can't keep up, don't assume everyone
else is equally clueless. > It's too bad really, I think you could
actually contribute to this group,
> but your stupidity always seems to get in the way ;-( <

Again IDGIT, lose the controlling self importance. Apparently Mommy
told you you were "special" and I hate to be the one to break it to
you, but she was wrong. : ) Not only that, she did you a HUGE
disservice by not giving you any brothers or sisters to play
with . : )

Secondly, you're not qualified to comment on who is or is not capable
of contributing to the group, I AM ! : ) I've forgotten more about
Country music than you'll ever know. End of story.

Finally, I've probably contributed as much or more than ANYONE in the
history of these boards, so I'll let you try to figure out who's
control issues and stupidity is REALLY getting in the way. : )

Maybe you should stick to your "bubble world" . Don't you have some
litter boxes or parakeet cages you could be cleaning ? : )
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah Queenie,

I see the meds haven't kicked in yet., and your fantasies continue to be a
burden to you, by the way you ramble on. Those acid flashbacks can be a
bitch
It must be so tough, living in a big old scary world like that.
Don't worry, though, everything will be fine when the men in those little
white coats get there. I'm sure they'll let you have some ice cream and
watch CMT to help you relax..

Didn't you mean "Bubble Puppy"?

KingCountryI@aol.com (Noah Tall)

Aug 23, 2008, 2:47:48 PM8/23/08
On Aug 21, 9:59�am, "Dr. Winston O'Boogie" <quarryme...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

. I'm sure they'll let you have some ice cream and

> watch CMT to help you relax..<

CMT ? PUH - LEEAASE ! It figures you'd mention it. CMT is for women,
or guys who don't know they're gay yet . :) LOL !!!!!!!!! . : )

Do you watch soap operas too ? :) LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pardon me for noticing Bunky,but apparently "woodworking" isn't just
your job it's a 24 hour a day occupation, eh ? :) LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Aug 23, 2008, 8:32:25 PM8/23/08

On Aug 21, 9:59?am, "Dr. Winston O'Boogie" <quarryme...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

You really ought to be a comedy writer.
Nope, no soap operas,
I just figured a queen such as yourself would be thrilled to death to watch
CMT. Maybe while you're doing your nails!

Bunky?

Hugh Jass

Aug 26, 2008, 2:59:19 PM8/26/08
Dr. Winston O'Booger picked and flicked this:

> Oh brother......................
> For a dimwit, you seem to be able to string a few words together.

Please, if there's any "dimwit" around here, you've already proven time
and time again that you are the dimmest of wits. For example, every time
you try to match wits with our beloved King Esker, you end up portraying
yourself as some sort of odiferous, beslubbering, flap-mouthed
canker-blossom! Hang it up, you mammering miscreant!

> Unfortunately for the rest of us, they don't always make as much sense as
> you claim.

The rest of us? Oh, so now you claim to speak for everyone? Speak for
yourself, you dankish, dizzy-eyed dewberry!

> It's too bad really, I think you could actually contribute to this group,
> but your stupidity always seems to get in the way ;-(

There you go again, you fobbing, folly-fallen flap-dragon!!

Try to contribute something worthwhile instead of embarrassing yourself
irregularly, you hasty-witted, hell-hated horn-beast!

Hugh Jass

Aug 26, 2008, 3:07:55 PM8/26/08
Dr. Winston O'Booger whined:

> Those acid flashbacks can be a bitch

Believe me, you vain varlot, no one is interested in your drug
experiences. Didn't you serve time for that stuff?

> It must be so tough, living in a big old scary world like that.

How would you know, way up there in your ivory tower?

> Don't worry, though, everything will be fine when the men in those little
> white coats get there.

Well, at least you are able to speak from experience. But it still has
nothing to do with country music.

Get a life, you gleeking giglet!

Hugh Jass

Aug 26, 2008, 3:09:42 PM8/26/08
KingCo...@aol.com (Noah Tall) astutely noted:

> CMT ? PUH - LEEAASE ! It figures you'd mention it. CMT is for women,
> or guys who don't know they're gay yet . :) LOL !!!!!!!!! . : )

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hugh Jass

Aug 26, 2008, 3:15:02 PM8/26/08
Dr. Winston O'Booger, bloated and cramping, continues nagging:

> Maybe while you're doing your nails!

The ten-penny type, maybe.
What's your excuse, Ms. Maybelline?

Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Aug 27, 2008, 12:28:04 AM8/27/08

"Hugh Jass" <h...@thebbqcookout.net> wrote in message

Swell, the wanna-be King/Queen has a ball washer!

Hugh Jass

Aug 27, 2008, 3:02:30 PM8/27/08
Dr. Winston O'Booger blurted:

> Swell, the wanna-be King/Queen has a ball washer!

And tote golf bag, keep score, and hand him his clubs.
You, on the other hand, are a royal cocksucker!!!