OT: Water slide knocks more than socks off at Hersheypark, Pa.

Bluuuuue Rajah

Jul 27, 2008, 8:16:30 PM7/27/08

Water slide knocks more than socks off at Hersheypark, Pa.

http://snipurl.com/367h4 [www_sunjournal_com]

Newhouse News Service
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

HERSHEY, Pa. - Hersheypark's Waverider is designed to "knock your socks
off," as park spokeswoman Kathy Burrows said.

But as it turns out, socks aren't the thing that can be knocked off by
the boogie-board ride down a wide, two-lane slide with water shooting up
its incline.

"The water will rip off your bathing suit," said Chelsi Ball of
Cincinnati after she fell off her board, was hurled into a padded wall
and had her top and bottom pulled askance.

How often does that happen?

"All the time," said one lifeguard who was working when Ball, 18, wound
up splashing and flashing about a dozen people in line for a turn on the
slide.

One out of every five riders loses some part of their swim wear, the
lifeguard said.

When it happened to Ball, a Hersheypark lifeguard threw a blanket over
her, shielding her from those behind her in line.

"You wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it," Burrows said of
the blankets, strategically placed on both sides of the ride. "It's a
courtesy thing. We don't want anyone to be embarrassed or feel awkward,
especially a small child."

Warnings posted around the attraction describe a "very strenuous ride"
with "very turbulent water."

Potential bathing suit blunders are ninth on a list of warnings that
include wearing "proper swim attire" and "no jewelry."

"The flowing water may pull off bathing suit tops, bottoms and loose
clothing. Cover-ups are recommended," the sign reads.

"Depending on who sees me ride this, I might get to go home with
somebody," quipped Drew Tress, 18, of Baltimore. "So the bathing suit
thing is a risk I'm willing to take."

His friend, Derek Diem, 19, of Baltimore, agreed.

"We'll have to see if anyone wants me to lose my suit," Diem said. "If a
girl loses her top and she's good-looking, I'll probably stare a little
longer."

Manufactured by the Aquatic Development Group in Cohoes, N.Y., the ride
is featured in about 65 parks around the world. It pumps water from a
pool up an incline. A rider who falls off the boogie board - a small
surfboard - is hurled up the soft-surface incline by the water's force
and thrown into a padded wall at the top of the attraction.

Waverider opened last year in Hersheypark's popular new Boardwalk area.
On a ride-intensity scale of 1 to 5, the park map rates it at a level 4.
That means it is a "high-thrill ride" that "requires full body control."

Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Waterpark in Lake George, N.Y.,
has a similar ride called Boogie Bear Surf. Great Escape spokesman Tim
Drawbridge said there have been "no incidents" of bathing suit mishaps
reported since the ride opened in 2006.

"I've never witnessed anything like that," Drawbridge said.

Burrows said Hersheypark hasn't received any complaints about Waverider.

Some riders apparently don't mind losing their attire, said Sherri
Monticchio of Delaware, who visited the park last week. Monticchio
remembered waiting in line for Waverider last year while a girl tried to
conquer it.

"She was popping out all over," Monticchio said.

Burrows said Waverider lifeguards set a time limit for riders, based on
the number of people waiting in line, usually 45 seconds on a busy day.
An observation deck, parallel to the ride, allows visitors to watch
Waverider wipe-outs.

Burrows said guests are warned about the water pressure and that there's
nothing that can be done to prevent wardrobe malfunctions, except
wearing a one-piece suit.

"You couldn't have an attraction like that if the water wasn't moving,"
she said. "You've probably jumped in the waves in the ocean. The same
thing that happens on Waverider would happen (in the ocean) if you were
wearing a two-piece suit."

Tyler Oleskowitz, 14, of Lancaster, said she paid attention to the
warning.

"I thought about riding it," she said, clutching her pink string bikini
top. "But not in this suit. I'd be a little nervous."