Tiecher of Ferrante & Teicher dies...

Anthony Ferrante

Aug 4, 2008, 12:30:27 PM8/4/08
Friends,
Sadly, last night I got a phone call from the manager of
duo-pianists, Ferrante and Teicher that Louis Teicher died of massive
heart attack at his summer home in North Carolina. He has been a
resident of Sarasota, Fl. for many years.
Ferrante and Teicher became my influence (and my idols) for the
piano which I love very much today, all thanks to them and their
music. I was fortunate enough to have seen them many times in concert
and I am pen-pals with Arthur Ferrante still today.
Lou Teicher was five years of age when he began the preparatory
classes at The Julliard School of Music and Arthur Ferrante was eight.
The became friends when teamed in the piano ensemble class, a
friendship that lasted 78 years. Both won EVERY award Julliard had to
offer by the time each has reached their 15th birthday and began
teaching there two years later. In October, 1947, The Friends of Music
in Toledo, Ohio called the school and requested two piano players who
could perform Poulenc's Concerto for 2 pianos. Art and Lou accepted
that offer and enjoyed it so much they began to perform
professionally. They maintained a basic classical repertoire until
1960 when they teamed with Don Costas and recorded the first of many
show-themes, the first being, Theme from The Apartment. Next, came The
Theme from Exodus and on and on the hits came under the label of
United Artists Records. Their 1969 hit, The Theme from Midnight Cowboy
is a classic!
Louis Teicher was 83. The news, as of this writing, has not hit the
AP Wire Service, but is expected to today. Their manager's brother is
the executive producer for Entertainment Tonight, so tonight, Monday,
there may be some news on his passing.

Anthony Ferrante

牛魔王

Aug 4, 2008, 2:25:54 PM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 9:30 am, Anthony Ferrante <ferrante276-ngs...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Any relation?

MDB1...@hotmail.com

Aug 4, 2008, 2:59:59 PM8/4/08
> Any relation?- Hide quoted text -

Whether the piece was Ernest Gold's 'Theme From Exodus' or Bob Dylan's
'Lay Lady Lay', they put their inimitable stamp on everything they
recorded. Growing up in the '60s and '70s, their music was as often
played as the hit vocalists of the day were.

Anthony Ferrante

Aug 4, 2008, 7:40:02 PM8/4/08
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:25:54 -0700 (PDT), ???]?? <Gyu...@aol.com>
wrote:

No, I just chose that name when I decided it was not really safe to
use my real name on the Internet, so why not adopt the name of my
idol?

Anthony

2nz

Aug 4, 2008, 7:45:09 PM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 10:30 am, Anthony Ferrante <ferrante276-ngs...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Their version of 'Tico Tico' was the best.

Big J

Aug 4, 2008, 8:44:08 PM8/4/08
2nz <U.Betc...@gmail.com> wrote in news:aa3a15a1-c813-4adf-acb2-
1fbcae...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I don't recall F & T's version. Many back then to jumble up, like Ray
Coniff's and Montovani.

My fav Tico is by Los Indios Tabajaras.

I don't care for the sung versions. Carmen Miranda's version is OK, but
it's damn had to sing all those notes! The Andrews Sisters version is
more accurately sung because it is mucho slowed down, and even "swung" in
a verse or two.

Big J

-----

Message has been deleted

2nz

Aug 4, 2008, 10:20:52 PM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 6:44 pm, Big J <b...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> 2nz <U.Betcher...@gmail.com> wrote in news:aa3a15a1-c813-4adf-acb2-
> 1fbcae055...@y21g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

F&T's version is REALLY fast without being too jumbled. It's as if
they drank way too much coffee or something.
It's also quite percussive, almost to the point of being cartoonish.
You can hear it here:
http://ferrante-and-teicher-tico-tico-mp3-download.kohit.net/_/186330

2nz

Aug 4, 2008, 10:30:23 PM8/4/08

Now that I've just heard it again, it sounds like something Esquivel
would have done.

Big J

Aug 4, 2008, 10:48:35 PM8/4/08
2nz <U.Betc...@gmail.com> wrote in

Agreed - the F&T version does sound a little like Esquivel space music.

For the Indios version, let's see if this link will work:
http://boomp3.com/listen/4bez44f2_6/los-indios-tabajaras-tico-tico

2nz

Aug 4, 2008, 11:35:15 PM8/4/08
On Aug 4, 8:48 pm, Big J <b...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

Ooooh. Very cool. Thanks! I tried to download and save it but it cuts
off early.
I'll seek it out elsewhere.

Big J

Aug 5, 2008, 1:10:04 AM8/5/08
2nz <U.Betc...@gmail.com> wrote in

>> > Now that I've just heard it again, it sounds like something
>> > Esquivel would have done.
>>
>> Agreed - the F&T version does sound a little like Esquivel space
>> music.
>>
>> For the Indios version, let's see if this link will
>> work:http://boomp3.com/listen/4bez44f2_6/los-indios-tabajaras-tico-tic
>
> Ooooh. Very cool. Thanks! I tried to download and save it but it cuts
> off early.
> I'll seek it out elsewhere.

A decent bio is at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Indios_Tabajaras

Their biggest hit is "Maria Elena" and made the US Top Ten.

2nz

Aug 5, 2008, 1:46:27 AM8/5/08
On Aug 4, 11:10 pm, Big J <b...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

Yeah, I remember them (and their regalia) but I hadn't heard their
take on 'Tico'.