Left Leaning Mexico's President Cites Debunked Claim That Most Guns in Mexico Come From U.S.

The Tottering Left

Apr 16, 2009, 7:10:50 PM4/16/09
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/mexicos-president-repeats-
claim-guns-mexico-come/

In an interview Wednesday, Mexican President Felipe Calderon repeated the
often stated, but incorrect, claim that 90 percent of Mexico's guns come
from the United States.

Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Wednesday made an assertion -- cited
in the past by Mexico's U.S. ambassador and even by U.S. leaders, but
debunked as a myth -- that 90 percent of the weapons intercepted in Mexico
come from the U.S.

"I know that this is a very sensitive issue," Calderon said in an
interview with NBC News. He also said that he will tell President Obama
during his visit Thursday to Mexico City that the U.S. needs to clean up
its drug problem if Mexico is going to be successful in its battle against
the cartels.

"The source of the problem was the huge demand for drugs in the United
States the largest market in the world for drugs," he said. "The United
States, you have a lot of traffic of drugs. You have a lot of distribution
of drugs. You have a lot of corruption as well."

Calderon's comments came days after Auturo Sarukhan, the Mexican
ambassador to the United States, appeared on CBS' "Face the Nation" and
made the same claim that 90 percent of the weapons intercepted in Mexico
come from the U.S.

FOX News debunked that claim in a report earlier this month that found
only 17 percent of guns found at Mexican crime scenes have been traced to
the U.S., though even that figure is an imprecise estimate.

Calderon and Sarukhan aren't the only one to cite this myth. Secretary of
State Hillary Clinton, California Sen. Diane Feinstein and Willliam
Hoover, assistant director for field operations at the Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, have all said that 90 percent of weapons
used to commit crimes in Mexico come from the U.S.

Click here for FOXNews.com's report on the myths about guns in Mexico.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/04/02/myth-percent-guns-
mexico-fraction-number-claimed/

An ATF spokeswoman told FOXNews.com earlier this month in a clarification
of the statistic used by her own agency's assistant director "that over 90
percent of the traced firearms originate from the U.S." But a large
percentage of the guns recovered in Mexico do not get sent back to the
U.S. for tracing because it is obvious from their markings that they do
not come from the U.S.

"Not every weapon seized in Mexico has a serial number on it that would
make it traceable, and the U.S. effort to trace weapons really only
extends to weapons that have been in the U.S. market," Matt Allen, special
agent of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), told FOX News
earlier this month.

Sarukhan has claimed that Mexico seizes 2,000 guns a day from the United
States, or 730,000 a year. But the official statistic from the Mexico
attorney general's office says Mexico seized 29,000 weapons in all of 2007
and 2008.

On "Face the Nation," host Bob Schieffer asked Sarukhan for evidence to
support his claim that most of the weapons seized are coming from the
United States.

"The data we have is the one that we've been sharing with our counterparts
in the U.S. government, ATF and the Justice Department, and other agencies
that have been working with us to determine where those guns are coming
from," Sarukhan replied.

For example, Sarukhan cited the Mexican border town of Reynosa where he
said more than 250 assault weapons and half a million rounds of ammo were
seized in November.

"These had just crossed over the border from the United States in Mexico,"
he said. "By tracing these weapons, by looking at the types of weapons,
we're determining that most of these weapons are coming from the United
States."

Yeah Right

Apr 17, 2009, 5:33:12 AM4/17/09
The tottering left and the doddering right.

Tough choice.

1 Proud American

Apr 17, 2009, 10:23:48 AM4/17/09
He is just hopping on board the obama commie train. He has been paid off
by the liberals . He must help with the banning of guns. That way only
wetbacks and niggers will have them as they are the criminal society.
When the communism hits hard and the civil war starts , they only want
the criminals to have guns as they will be murdering the lawful people
and that will help out obama and his commies push their agenda.

RD (The Sandman)

Apr 17, 2009, 2:49:46 PM4/17/09
The Tottering Left <totter...@cox.net> wrote in

> http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/mexicos-president-repeats-
> claim-guns-mexico-come/
>
> In an interview Wednesday, Mexican President Felipe Calderon repeated
> the often stated, but incorrect, claim that 90 percent of Mexico's
> guns come from the United States.

So did Obama.

> Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Wednesday made an assertion --
> cited in the past by Mexico's U.S. ambassador and even by U.S.
> leaders, but debunked as a myth -- that 90 percent of the weapons
> intercepted in Mexico come from the U.S.
>
> "I know that this is a very sensitive issue," Calderon said in an
> interview with NBC News. He also said that he will tell President
> Obama during his visit Thursday to Mexico City that the U.S. needs to
> clean up its drug problem if Mexico is going to be successful in its
> battle against the cartels.
>
> "The source of the problem was the huge demand for drugs in the United
> States the largest market in the world for drugs," he said. "The
> United States, you have a lot of traffic of drugs. You have a lot of
> distribution of drugs. You have a lot of corruption as well."

Legalize them.

> Calderon's comments came days after Auturo Sarukhan, the Mexican
> ambassador to the United States, appeared on CBS' "Face the Nation"
> and made the same claim that 90 percent of the weapons intercepted in
> Mexico come from the U.S.

That twit also claims that 2000 guns a day come into Mexico. Interesting
since that would be 730,000 per year but Mexico only seized 29,000 guns
over two whole years.

So? 250 is a far cry from 29,000 or 730,000 firearms.

> "These had just crossed over the border from the United States in
> Mexico," he said. "By tracing these weapons, by looking at the types
> of weapons, we're determining that most of these weapons are coming
> from the United States."

Perhaps those particular weapons but not out of the total weapons seized.

--
Sleep well tonight.........RD (The Sandman)

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles
in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles
to extend your arm and whump that sucker up
alongside the head!!!!

1 Proud American

Apr 17, 2009, 10:06:25 PM4/17/09
I like it when they come up with stats on things that they can not know.
For them to know how many guns are going over the border they would have
to be counting them.
Just hype to further obama and his commies plans to take away guns.

1 Proud American

Apr 17, 2009, 10:08:56 PM4/17/09
This is mexicans fault.
100% of the guns found in Mexico that are brought from the US are
smuggled in by Mexicans or Mexican payed smugglers. Perhaps Mexico
should check Mexicans at the border. But then they could not blame
Americans.