Ancestry.com freezes my computer

jburns

Mar 18, 2008, 12:04:51 PM3/18/08
Starting 2 or 3 days ago every time I view an image on Ancestry.com my
computer freezes. To unfreeze it I have to log off-big nuisance. I have used
Ancestry for several years and have never had this problem before. Does any
else suddenly have this problem? Just before this problem started my
security system, Norton, sent me a new update for their system-maybe
connected?
John

vincent

Mar 18, 2008, 1:57:12 PM3/18/08

"jburns" <john...@telus.net> schreef in bericht

Hallo,

I guess you have all documents seperated, remove the previous install of
Ancestry, (if you have a registry cleaner), clean the registry, restart the
PC and try to install Ancestry again.

gr vincent Wijchen NL

MikeS

Mar 18, 2008, 2:13:30 PM3/18/08

John, I encountered the same problem.. Used my other browser to
confirm that the problem wasn't with ancestry. I too downloaded the
Norton 360 2.0 and then the problems began. Consequently, removed the
2.0 version and reinstalled 360. Problem disappeared. Sent a message
to Norton but have not yet received a response.

Mike

jburns

Mar 18, 2008, 3:16:46 PM3/18/08
Sorry, I don't under your message.

jburns

Mar 18, 2008, 3:20:22 PM3/18/08
Mike,
I have contacted Norton though Live Chat and by email and they say it isn't
them. I don't understand what you mean by the 360 and the 2.0.
I have tried contacting Ancestry.com by e mail but my computer freezes as
soon as I try and I can't send a message.

MikeS

Mar 18, 2008, 4:38:12 PM3/18/08
On Mar 18, 2:20 pm, "jburns" <johnbu...@telus.net> wrote:
> Mike,
> I have contacted Norton though Live Chat and by email and they say it isn't
> them. I don't understand what you mean by the 360 and the 2.0.

I have used Norton 360 for at least a year. Norton's Symantec Store
offered me a free update to get the Norton 360 Version 2.0. As I
previously stated I downloaded the free update and then started to
have problems with ancestry.com freezing up on me. I removed Norton
360 Version 2.0 and reloaded Norton 360 and the problems stopped. I
still don't have a response from Norton to my inquiry. Before
removing the 2.0 version I used another browser (Opera) to see if the
problem was with ancestry. It was not. In my opinion Norton is
giving you the runaround and passing the buck.

Mike

Christopher Jahn

Mar 18, 2008, 5:24:08 PM3/18/08
"jburns" <john...@telus.net> wrote in

Norton has a tendency to screw things up, but I'd try clearing
your cache and deleting any cookies related to the site, then
restarting your browswer.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door
you're on.

Hugh Watkins

Mar 18, 2008, 6:15:45 PM3/18/08

I have droped Norton

AVG is better value - like free

Huh W

--
For genealogy and help with family and local history in Bristol and

http://snaps4.blogspot.com/ photographs and walks

GENEALOGE http://hughw36.blogspot.com/ MAIN BLOG

jburns

Mar 18, 2008, 6:35:10 PM3/18/08

I have used Norton 360 for at least a year. Norton's Symantec Store
offered me a free update to get the Norton 360 Version 2.0. As I
previously stated I downloaded the free update and then started to
have problems with ancestry.com freezing up on me. I removed Norton
360 Version 2.0 and reloaded Norton 360 and the problems stopped. I
still don't have a response from Norton to my inquiry. Before
removing the 2.0 version I used another browser (Opera) to see if the
problem was with ancestry. It was not. In my opinion Norton is
giving you the runaround and passing the buck.

Mike

I thought you must be referring to the version of Norton that you have but
my version number is so different-15.5.0.23. I have several more inquires in
to Norton. Who knows?
John

jburns

Mar 18, 2008, 6:43:15 PM3/18/08

> Norton has a tendency to screw things up, but I'd try clearing
> your cache and deleting any cookies related to the site, then
> restarting your browswer.
>
> --
> }:-) Christopher Jahn
> {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

Thanks Christopher. I have now deleted my temporary files, cookies, and
history and it is worse. At Ancestry it freezes before I even get to see the
census image. At least I got to look at them before.
John

Bruce Remick

Mar 18, 2008, 8:03:08 PM3/18/08

"jburns" <john...@telus.net> wrote in message
> [...]

I would hate to automatically presume Norton is to blame, but.......

jburns

Mar 18, 2008, 10:07:53 PM3/18/08
Ta Da! I found the solution on an Ancestry sites comment forum. I wasn't
sure if it was Norton but it seemed likely as it happened shortly after I
upgraded from Norton 2007 to 2008. A number of people there had the same
problem. It only happens if you use Vista operating system, upgrade from
Norton 2007 to 2008, and view images on Ancestry. The solution is to disable
all Norton addons in IE 7. The person got the solution from Microsoft. Odd
that Venkatraman at Norton didn't know about it.
I will be able to sleep tonight after all.
John
"Bruce Remick" <rem...@cox.net> wrote in message

Bruce Remick

Mar 18, 2008, 10:25:59 PM3/18/08

> Ta Da! I found the solution on an Ancestry sites comment forum. I wasn't
> sure if it was Norton but it seemed likely as it happened shortly after I
> upgraded from Norton 2007 to 2008. A number of people there had the same
> problem. It only happens if you use Vista operating system, upgrade from
> Norton 2007 to 2008, and view images on Ancestry. The solution is to
> disable all Norton addons in IE 7. The person got the solution from
> Microsoft. Odd that Venkatraman at Norton didn't know about it.
> I will be able to sleep tonight after all.
> John

Good for you! Those forums and focused newsgroups sometimes can be
lifesavers!

singhals

Mar 19, 2008, 10:09:25 AM3/19/08
jburns wrote:

I'd be more likely to blame Norton than Ancestry. That
/could/ be because when we installed one version of Norton
it wouldn't let us onto our ISP and so caused a teeeny
anti-Norton bias at this keyboard, of course.

Cheryl

jburns

Mar 19, 2008, 1:33:05 PM3/19/08

> I'd be more likely to blame Norton than Ancestry. That /could/ be because
> when we installed one version of Norton it wouldn't let us onto our ISP
> and so caused a teeeny anti-Norton bias at this keyboard, of course.
>
> Cheryl

You are right Cheryl I finally found someone at Norton who admitted that it
is their problem and they are working on it.
John

JRTowner

Mar 19, 2008, 5:29:29 PM3/19/08
Try disabling your Norton's. I have heard through other list that
Norton's is having problems. If disabling it does not work try
uninstalling it. If Ancestry works then you know it was the
Norton's. You may have to look for a Anti-Virus that is not so much a
space hog as Norton's is. AVG has a free antivirus that works well.

Denise

jburns

Mar 19, 2008, 9:27:00 PM3/19/08

"JRTowner" <JRTown...@att.net> wrote in message
Disabling Norton doesn't fix the problem. You have to disable the Norton
addons in Internet Explorer.
John

Johnny

Mar 19, 2008, 9:47:02 PM3/19/08

"jburns" <john...@telus.net> wrote in message

If you can get rid of Norton (any program made by them) your computer will
thank you for it. Norton is great software if you want your computer under
their control completely. Good luck on getting rid of all traces of their
software... it's next to impossible...

Johnny

Mar 19, 2008, 9:48:39 PM3/19/08

"MikeS" <csaun...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Mar 18, 2:20 pm, "jburns" <johnbu...@telus.net> wrote:
> Mike,
> I have contacted Norton though Live Chat and by email and they say it
> isn't
> them. I don't understand what you mean by the 360 and the 2.0.

In my opinion Norton is
giving you the runaround and passing the buck.

Mike

That is their MO!

Johnny

Mar 19, 2008, 9:49:48 PM3/19/08

"Hugh Watkins" <hugh.w...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> MikeS wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 2:20 pm, "jburns" <johnbu...@telus.net> wrote:
>>> Mike,
>>> I have contacted Norton though Live Chat and by email and they say it
>>> isn't
>>> them. I don't understand what you mean by the 360 and the 2.0.
>>
>> I have used Norton 360 for at least a year. Norton's Symantec Store
>> offered me a free update to get the Norton 360 Version 2.0. As I
>> previously stated I downloaded the free update and then started to
>> have problems with ancestry.com freezing up on me. I removed Norton
>> 360 Version 2.0 and reloaded Norton 360 and the problems stopped. I
>> still don't have a response from Norton to my inquiry. Before
>> removing the 2.0 version I used another browser (Opera) to see if the
>> problem was with ancestry. It was not. In my opinion Norton is
>> giving you the runaround and passing the buck.
>
> I have droped Norton
>
> AVG is better value - like free
>
> Huh W

AVG is too much of a system resource hog... Try Avast!

Allen S.

Mar 23, 2008, 12:25:18 PM3/23/08
I upgraded from Norton Internet Security to 360 Ver. 2 a week ago and it
caused the same lock-up problem. I spent about an hour with their Technical
Support yesterday afternoon. The technician tried many things without
success in solving the problem. I'm going to uninstall 360 and go to
something else. Hope I can get rid of all the 360 stuff.

Allen

"Johnny" <thi...@notreal.org> wrote in message

jburns

Mar 24, 2008, 1:10:20 PM3/24/08
Everyone else I have been in touch with has solved it by disabling Nortons
addons in Internet Explorer. Even Norton finally admitted that was the
solution.
John
"Allen S." <ab...@suddenlink.net> wrote in message

Allen S.

Mar 24, 2008, 1:40:08 PM3/24/08
Thanks.

Allen S.

"jburns" <john...@telus.net> wrote in message

Johnny

Mar 25, 2008, 1:52:01 AM3/25/08

"jburns" <john...@telus.net> wrote in message

> Everyone else I have been in touch with has solved it by disabling Nortons
> addons in Internet Explorer. Even Norton finally admitted that was the
> solution.
> John

Norton still sucks...

rscan...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2008, 9:09:16 PM4/4/08
On Mar 25, 1:52 am, "Johnny" <thi...@notreal.org> wrote:
> "jburns" <johnbu...@telus.net> wrote in message

> > Everyone else I have been in touch with has solved it by disabling Nortons
> > addons in Internet Explorer. Even Norton finally admitted that was the
> > solution.
> > John
>
> Norton still sucks...
>

> > "Allen S." <a...@suddenlink.net> wrote in message

> >>I upgraded from Norton Internet Security to 360 Ver. 2 a week ago and it
> >>caused the same lock-up problem.  I spent about an hour with their
> >>Technical Support yesterday afternoon.  The technician tried many things
> >>without success in solving the problem.  I'm going to uninstall 360 and go
> >>to something else. Hope I can get rid of all the 360 stuff.
>
> >> Allen
>
> >> "Johnny" <thi...@notreal.org> wrote in message

I have used ancestry for several years without any problems. Ever
since installling Norton 360 I have had nothing but problems. It
totally crashed one laptop, bogged down my desktop to a crawl and
since the 2.0 "update" won't allow me to use the ancestry site at
all. Like everyone else it freezes up and you have to go through the
alt-delete-control crap. I have since uninstalled 360 and gone back
to Norton Internet Security and everything works fine. I got the run
around from Norton and Ancestry claimed it was unware of any problems
(especially when I wanted to cancel my subscrition). I used AVG for
awhile but had huge problems with it and went back to Norton. Why is
it every time they try to improve their product they f*&*%# it up?

Charliec

Apr 9, 2008, 9:25:37 PM4/9/08
John,

The problem is not just with Viata, it is on WinXP as well. The
solution is to disable the Norton Confidential in IE7 Addons, not all
Norton Addons. I disabled just that one on my XP system and
Ancestory.com start working again as normal. Appears to be a conflict
between NIS Phishing Control and Ancestory.com, with each pointing the
figure at each other. Norton finally owned up to the problem and said
a fix was underway and would be released soon (a couple of months
ago), but all the latest updates do not contain the fix (as of today
4/9/08).

Charlie

>On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 02:07:53 GMT, "jburns" <john...@telus.net> wrote:

>Ta Da! I found the solution on an Ancestry sites comment forum. I wasn't
>sure if it was Norton but it seemed likely as it happened shortly after I
>upgraded from Norton 2007 to 2008. A number of people there had the same
>problem. It only happens if you use Vista operating system, upgrade from
>Norton 2007 to 2008, and view images on Ancestry. The solution is to disable
>all Norton addons in IE 7. The person got the solution from Microsoft. Odd
>that Venkatraman at Norton didn't know about it.
>I will be able to sleep tonight after all.
>John

Charliec

jburns

Apr 10, 2008, 1:28:14 PM4/10/08
Charlie,
Then it is a widespread problem. You would think they would warn people
about it so they don't have to struggle with it.
John
"Charliec" <char...@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

Josiah Jenkins

Apr 10, 2008, 5:40:28 PM4/10/08
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:28:14 GMT, "jburns" <john...@telus.net>
wrote:

>Charlie,
>Then it is a widespread problem. You would think they would
>warn people about it so they don't have to struggle with it.

Symantec warn anyone ?
Not much chance of that.

You couldn't pay me enough to put one Symantec's products
on my machine nowadays. And I was a confirmed addict of
Norton Utilities and Anti-virus in the days of DOS6.2 and
Windows 3.11 (Workgroups) and a long time user of
Partition Magic until Symantec swallowed them both up.

rawstuff

Jun 6, 2008, 5:30:57 AM6/6/08
On Apr 10, 2:25 am, Charliec <charl...@invalid.address.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> The problem is not just with Viata, it is on WinXP as well.  The
> solution is to disable the Norton Confidential in IE7 Addons, not all
> Norton Addons.  I disabled just that one on my XP system and
> Ancestory.com start working again as normal.  Appears to be a conflict
> between NIS Phishing Control and Ancestory.com, with each pointing the
> figure at each other.  Norton finally owned up to the problem and said
> a fix was underway and would be released soon (a couple of months
> ago), but all the latest updates do not contain the fix (as of today
> 4/9/08).
>
> Charlie
>
> >On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 02:07:53 GMT, "jburns" <johnbu...@telus.net> wrote:
> >Ta Da! I found the solution on an Ancestry sites comment forum. I wasn't
> >sure if it was Norton but it seemed likely as it happened shortly after I
> >upgraded from Norton 2007 to 2008. A number of people there had the same
> >problem. It only happens if you use Vista operating system, upgrade from
> >Norton 2007 to 2008, and view images on Ancestry. The solution is to disable
> >all Norton addons in IE 7. The person got the solution from Microsoft. Odd
> >that Venkatraman at Norton didn't know about it.
> >I will be able to sleep tonight after all.
> >John

> Charliec

Excellent!! Symantec couldn't help ~ they suggested a settings change
that didn't make any difference. To spell it out for those who get
lost:-
Go ~ Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage add-ons; then find
Norton Confidential in the list and set Disable.
Many thanks!
Richard

herman...@thuis.be

Jun 6, 2008, 7:26:27 AM6/6/08
rawstuff wrote:

Excellent ????
Either this addon has a real purpose and function, and any advice just to
disable it is plain .....
or
the addon is a piece of ... and why do you install (and pay for it?)

If a proper solution is not available, try another browser.

Herman Viaene
--
Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)