life expectancy

1 view

singhals

Mar 4, 2006, 10:23:04 AM3/4/06

Anyone have any data on the life expectancy of a professional prostitute
in the 1910-1930 time period?

In 1900 the woman was a 15-yr-old living at home with her parents. In
1910, she's showing up three states away as a prostitute, married, one
child one living (but no marriage record, no child present with her).
In 1918, she's named in her father's obituary. She then vanishes from
sight.

She's not being named publically because IF she has living descendants,
naming her would be tactless.

Before we spend too much time looking under rocks, what are the chances
she'd have died between 1918 and 1930?

Thanks.

Robert Melson

Mar 4, 2006, 11:22:29 AM3/4/06
In article <XaadnYOWyotFLZTZ...@rcn.net>,

You _do_ come up with some doozies!

Thinking of the state of medicine during the period in question, the prevalence
of (ahem!) STDs, for which there really were no cures, I'd go with short,
brutish and nasty. If she was 15 in '00, I'd say she didn't survive to 1930
for certain and probably didn't make it to '25.

Opinions, of course, are like portions of the anatomy - everybody has one.
FWIW, that's mine.

Sportin' Ol' Bob
(but he's _still_ an SOB!)

-----
"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." Thomas Reed
-----

Sharon

Mar 4, 2006, 11:52:36 AM3/4/06
Interesting phrasing, Cheryl. Whats the difference
then between a professional, and an amateur? ;-)

Sharon

--- singhals <sing...@erols.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any data on the life expectancy of a
> professional prostitute
> in the 1910-1930 time period?

http://mail.yahoo.com

John Nichols

Mar 4, 2006, 11:59:23 AM3/4/06

"singhals" <sing...@erols.com> wrote in message

Hard data, no. Besides STDs back then, there's also the great flu epidemic
that swept the planet after WWI, which killed more people than the actual
war. It was not unheard of for a heretofore healthy person to start feeling
ill in the morning, and be dead by that evening.

So, there are lots of reasons why she could have died in that timeframe, and
not necessarily because of her profession.

Sarns

Mar 4, 2006, 6:23:05 PM3/4/06

"singhals" <sing...@erols.com> wrote in message

Quite sad, but prostitution was often used as means of survival back then,
which i believe was probably even more so warranted than prostitutes
nowadays...at least there is some forms of government help for the down and
out now.

My own g grandmother was a 'barmaid' at one stage...she had a few
illigitimate children including my grandmother... it's an interesting part
of genealogy..looking at situations in different eras.

--
Cheers,

Sarndra, Christchurch, New Zealand
www.angelfire.com/ok/nzfamily

This is my country,
The land that begat me,
These windy spaces
Are surely my own.
And those who toil here
In the sweat of their faces
Are flesh of my flesh
And bone of my bone.

Sir Alexander Gray

Hugh Watkins

Mar 4, 2006, 7:41:35 PM3/4/06
Sarns wrote:

> "singhals" <sing...@erols.com> wrote in message
>

>>Anyone have any data on the life expectancy of a professional prostitute
>>in the 1910-1930 time period?
>>
>>In 1900 the woman was a 15-yr-old living at home with her parents. In
>>1910, she's showing up three states away as a prostitute, married, one
>>child one living (but no marriage record, no child present with her). In
>>1918, she's named in her father's obituary. She then vanishes from sight.
>>
>>She's not being named publically because IF she has living descendants,
>>naming her would be tactless.
>>
>>Before we spend too much time looking under rocks, what are the chances
>>she'd have died between 1918 and 1930?
>>
>>Thanks.
>

> Quite sad, but prostitution was often used as means of survival back then,
> which i believe was probably even more so warranted than prostitutes
> nowadays...at least there is some forms of government help for the down and
> out now.
>
> My own g grandmother was a 'barmaid' at one stage...she had a few
> illigitimate children including my grandmother... it's an interesting part
> of genealogy..looking at situations in different eras.

it seems to be a matter of tempeament too

some families are the same with generations of unmarried mothers

or all married 3 monhs before the first birth

Hugh W

Message has been deleted