Problem with WC4 in Windows 95

Chris Remmers

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

I recently purchased the Windows 95/DOS version of Wing Commander 4.
The game works fine in DOS mode, but in Windows 95 the movies stutter
slightly and there is a strange purple line above them. I think it may
have something to do with either the settings of my Soundblaster AWE
64 or the multimedia properities in the conrol panel. I would
appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Christopher Reid

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Run it in DOS? :) Check your DirectX and sound, video, CD-ROM, etc
drivers if you have them. If it's not something wrong with a video
driver, it could be WC4 conflicting with something else running in the
background. Try starting WC4 after turning off as many background
programs as you can.

Chris Reid
CRei...@aol.com

Jacob Englander

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

Install Directx 5.0, but first get rid of any directx you currently have
installed. I had the same problem, but without an AWE 64, and that's how I
fixed it.

Chris Remmers <crem...@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in article
<6dhtp0$g...@ecuador.earthlink.net>...

Kelvin Lim

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

On Tue, 03 Mar 1998 21:47:51 GMT, crem...@nospam.earthlink.net (Chris
Remmers) wrote:
> I recently purchased the Windows 95/DOS version of Wing Commander 4.
>The game works fine in DOS mode, but in Windows 95 the movies stutter
>slightly and there is a strange purple line above them. I think it may
>have something to do with either the settings of my Soundblaster AWE
>64 or the multimedia properities in the conrol panel. I would
>appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

It might be a DirectX problem, or a problem with your display or sound
card drivers. Try re-installing DirectX, then the latest versions of
your display and sound card drivers.

/*======================================================================*/
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
char *s = "\xA\x2C\0#my$~od$iclcikzJgcfdc|foa\"*gcF*dc|foA*gexL", *i;
for(i=s+*(s+1);i-s-1;) printf("%c", *i--^*s); return 0; }
/*======================================================================*/

As'yr'wrath Cryme

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

Chris Remmers wrote in message <6dhtp0$g...@ecuador.earthlink.net>...

> I recently purchased the Windows 95/DOS version of Wing Commander 4.
>The game works fine in DOS mode, but in Windows 95 the movies stutter
>slightly and there is a strange purple line above them. I think it may
>have something to do with either the settings of my Soundblaster AWE
>64 or the multimedia properities in the conrol panel. I would
>appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Also you could try to adjust the CD cache in the Performance tab of the System Properties window. At times, if set too high, the read ahead cache will actually reduce FMV playback because of the extra space required for the large cache size. Try it at it's second to highest setting, or lower if needed.

Hope this helps,
As'yr'wrath.

F1Filter

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

>I recently purchased the Windows 95/DOS version of Wing Commander 4.<BR>
>>The game works fine in DOS mode, but in Windows 95 the movies stutter<BR>
>>slightly and there is a strange purple line above them. I think it may<BR>
>>have something to do with either the settings of my Soundblaster AWE<BR>
>>64 or the multimedia properities in the conrol panel. I would<BR>
>>appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this problem.<BR>

I myself had the same problem and it took quite sometime to get things working
correctly so here's a few things I found out that may help you:

-If you have a Soundblaster AWE64/64 Gold, go to their site and get the latest
revision (ver.12 I think it is they are up to now), apparently there was some
kind of bug with Dir.Sound, so that may fix it right there. Apparently the
earlier fix of turning off the 'full duplex' mode doesnt work anymore, as the
card doesnt support Dir. Sound in that setting. Also, make sure that you are
running Dir.X 5.0 properly (using cert. drivers and the sort).

-If that doesnt work, then it's an acceleration problem with your video card.
I found that on some cards (the #9 Imag. 128 series 2 card more than others)
that when you lower the 'hardware accleration' setting under the 'performance'
tab, it virtually eliminates any of the video frames getting dropped or the
sound to mis-sync. Start it at the lowest setting (none) and see if that
clears up the problem. If it does, then try to increase the accleration in
increments until the problem creeps up again.

-The only other thing I have found is that if you are using FastVid, you are
better off just disabling it. On my PPro233 system, that add-on was one of the
major culprits.

If any of those things dont work, then you might want to try adjusting some
settings as stated in the 'read me 95' file. Try using the "true_color" switch
if your card supports 24 bit or higher color resolutions.

Either way, it seems that this patch isnt exacly one of the most
hardware-friendly patches out there.

Good Luck,
F1Filter