Aberrant: an observation

Vorlon0952

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
Just got Aberrant, and I'm still reading the color section. Something caught
my attention, and I haven't seen anyone here mention it.

In the memo on page 81, Director Thetis tells Director Ozaki: "Whatever else,
be certain that Mercer doesn't find out about this. He has enough to worry
about already and the world needs him focused on his tasks."

My question is: who is Mercer? Could they be referring to Maxwell Anderson
Mercer, founder of the Aeon Society? That would make the man over a century
old! Have I missed something, or is this a hint that the founder of the
Society is still around and active?

Oh, well, back to the book.....

regards,

Vorlon

Marizhavashti Kali

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

Vorlon0952 wrote:

> My question is: who is Mercer? Could they be referring to Maxwell Anderson
> Mercer, founder of the Aeon Society? That would make the man over a century
> old! Have I missed something, or is this a hint that the founder of the
> Society is still around and active?

That seems to be the case. :-) Or it's his son.

--
Deird'Re M. Brooks | xe...@teleport.com | cam#9309026

watc...@no.more.spam.iki.fi

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Vorlon0952 <vorlo...@aol.com> wrote:
>My question is: who is Mercer? Could they be referring to Maxwell Anderson
>Mercer, founder of the Aeon Society? That would make the man over a century
>old! Have I missed something, or is this a hint that the founder of the
>Society is still around and active?

It's a bit too much of a coincidence to not have something to do
with him. It might not be the man himself, though; could be a descendant.
Also, considering the Mega-Intelligence people running around, it might
even be the man himself after some heavy duty medical treatment.
We'll see.

- Mikki
- Mikko Rautalahti -- "It seems an emotional enema is next on the agenda. -
- watc...@iki.fi -- Flush out the excess humanity." - JTHM ------------
- WatchMan @ IRC ----------------------- http://www.iki.fi/~watchman/ -

CeIestiaI7

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
Hey, every age has it's heroes...or so I've heard. In Aberrant, those heroes
live 150+ years. 2008-1925=83...heck, the guy is probably only 120-140!

いいいいいいいいい
Scott M Alvarado
To email, just wipe the crud off my address.
いいいいいいいいい

BTomlin101

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
also at the end of the book, with the newspaper with Mercer anf C). about
everhy age and its heroes( running on memory) then lists like 1920 2008 2120
gives me a hint that next year maybe a third part of the Aberant-Trinity
universe, and that Mercer and Co. may be something more than baseline??

Brandon Quina

Jul 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/10/99
Vorlon0952 wrote:
> In the memo on page 81, Director Thetis tells Director Ozaki: "Whatever else,
> be certain that Mercer doesn't find out about this. He has enough to worry
> about already and the world needs him focused on his tasks."

The part about how Director Thetis, apparently in an "interoffice memo"
also referred to Landers various rants as "lies", and "Teragen
prompted." Is it possible that, while certainly not entirely goody-two
shoes Utopia hasn't quite done as many bad things as Slider thought??

> My question is: who is Mercer? Could they be referring to Maxwell Anderson
> Mercer, founder of the Aeon Society? That would make the man over a century
> old! Have I missed something, or is this a hint that the founder of the
> Society is still around and active?

It's certainly possible, as stranger things have happened in the
trinity setting. I have a feeling we won't find out for sure, though,
until the pulp game set in 1925 comes out, though...

Brandon,

Chris Davies

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
Brandon Quina <lo...@tmgbbs.com> wrote:
: The part about how Director Thetis, apparently in an "interoffice memo"

: also referred to Landers various rants as "lies", and "Teragen
: prompted." Is it possible that, while certainly not entirely goody-two
: shoes Utopia hasn't quite done as many bad things as Slider thought??
:

This is what *I* believe.

Jennifer "Slider" Landers was a deluded woman on the verge of
accepting the Null Manifesto as part of her personal philosophy. But even
a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Some of her discoveries are "true", but she put a "false" spin on
them. For example, Utopia *is* putting contraceptive drugs in their
novas' food and drink, but not because they're ultimately planning to kill
them off while ensuring that there is no second generation. They don't
want the novas to reproduce ... because they have found out what the
second and later generations will be like -- the Aberrants from Trinity,
completely warped, and more Tainted than powerful. (How? I'm not sure.
I suspect that it was an early discovery in the timeline, but it could
very well be the work of time travellers or someone with a precognitive
talent.)

: > My question is: who is Mercer? Could they be referring to Maxwell Anderson

: > Mercer, founder of the Aeon Society? That would make the man over a century
: > old! Have I missed something, or is this a hint that the founder of the
: > Society is still around and active?

: It's certainly possible, as stranger things have happened in the
: trinity setting. I have a feeling we won't find out for sure, though,
: until the pulp game set in 1925 comes out, though...

Not even then. Aberrant has given us more questions than it
answered about the "now" of Trinity, and the next game will doubtless do
the same. I'm not complaining ... this is good storytelling!

Chris Davies, Advocate for Darkness, Part-Time Champion of Light.
"It's not THAT different from [a] traditional comic-book superhero set-up
... it just adds in the fact that modern media personnel are starving
piranhas." -- Jon Hickman, speaking about White Wolf's "Aberrant".
Fanfics: http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/banks/277/index.html
Fanfic Revolution: http://come.to/hauthor/

CeIestiaI7

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
>For example, Utopia *is* putting contraceptive drugs in their
>novas' food and drink, but not because they're ultimately planning to kill
>them off while ensuring that there is no second generation. They don't
>want the novas to reproduce ... because they have found out what the
>second and later generations will be like -- the Aberrants from Trinity,
>completely warped, and more Tainted than powerful.

Oh GOD, you are SOOOO wrong. :-)

The Directive is DEEP into Triton and the Project and have engineered the
pharmaceuticals to have this very side-effect. The goal is to ultimately
discredit the Utopians and usurp their nova backing.

Chris Davies

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
CeIestiaI7 <ceies...@aol.comCRUD> wrote:
: Oh GOD, you are SOOOO wrong. :-)

: The Directive is DEEP into Triton and the Project and have engineered the
: pharmaceuticals to have this very side-effect. The goal is to ultimately
: discredit the Utopians and usurp their nova backing.

Uh-huh. And your evidence of this, please? Page numbers?

Marizhavashti Kali

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99

Chris Davies wrote:

> CeIestiaI7 <ceies...@aol.comCRUD> wrote:
> : Oh GOD, you are SOOOO wrong. :-)
>
> : The Directive is DEEP into Triton and the Project and have engineered the
> : pharmaceuticals to have this very side-effect. The goal is to ultimately
> : discredit the Utopians and usurp their nova backing.
>
> Uh-huh. And your evidence of this, please? Page numbers?

It's his theory and he likes it for his game? What else does he need?

Bill Dowling

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <7mbghh$hns$1...@pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca> , Chris Davies
<cda...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:

> Jennifer "Slider" Landers was a deluded woman on the verge of
> accepting the Null Manifesto as part of her personal philosophy. But even
> a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Not if it's digital.

BArmor9292

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
>> : The Directive is DEEP into Triton and the Project and have engineered the
>> : pharmaceuticals to have this very side-effect. The goal is to ultimately
>> : discredit the Utopians and usurp their nova backing.

Thats a rather clever theory. I like it :)

"...there are evil men in the world, truly evil men. Sometimes we hear of them,
but more often they work in absolute darkness."
Stephen King, _'Salem's Lot_

Mirober

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99
In article <7md3dg$9rq$1...@pulp.ucs.ualberta.ca>,

Chris Davies <cda...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> CeIestiaI7 <ceies...@aol.comCRUD> wrote:
> : Oh GOD, you are SOOOO wrong. :-)
>
> : The Directive is DEEP into Triton and the Project and have
engineered the
> : pharmaceuticals to have this very side-effect. The goal is to
ultimately
> : discredit the Utopians and usurp their nova backing.
>
> Uh-huh. And your evidence of this, please? Page numbers?

I think he meant it as his own personal theory. I think it's kinda
interesting. Though one has to wonder if Proteus has infiltrated the
Directive as well. They did discovered and eliminated the General and
his plans, after all.

> Chris Davies, Advocate for Darkness, Part-Time Champion of Light.

--
Matt Roberts
"I'm NOT a vampire!"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Brandon Quina

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
Marizhavashti Kali wrote:
> > Uh-huh. And your evidence of this, please? Page numbers?
>
> It's his theory and he likes it for his game? What else does he need?

Yep yep; not like either one of them had page numbers for their
theories. You certainly don't /need/ page numbers -- a theory is fun,
and it doesn't have to be exclusively backed up by page numbers and
stuff from various books... In fact, sometimes the "off the cuff" ones
are the funnest storylines.

Brandon,
who liked both ideas, personally...

Johnny Mayall

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Bill Dowling wrote:

> > Jennifer "Slider" Landers was a deluded woman on the verge of
> > accepting the Null Manifesto as part of her personal philosophy. But even
> > a stopped clock is right twice a day.
>
> Not if it's digital.

12:00
<blink>

12:00
<blink>

12:00
<blink>

12:00
<blink>

12:00
<blink>

12:00
<blink>

12:00
<blink>

--
Johnny Mayall Everyone's got an opinion... But don't wear
joh...@prometheus.frii.com yours like a red-assed mandrill's hemorrhoids

Roland X

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99

BTomlin101 wrote:

After two+ years semi-ABEND, the Freelance Immortal delurks...

Yeah, I like the idea that Max is still around. Also, one of those disembodied
heads
on the back of the softcover book sure _looks_ like a very old Mercer...

Roland X
Freelance Immortal
T2M