Sleepy Wraith

Jeffrey Davi Verzak

Apr 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/19/97

In article <5jbc09$d...@tofu.alt.net>, USER NAME <USE...@pathway.net> wrote:
>Help-
> I have been back and forth on this issue with my players, and it has
>come to this. I am starting a new Wraith (owned for a while/ players
>just got interested), but in trying to hammer out the rules with my
>players (yes I talk to them about these things) concerning some of the
>typos I have found. Ok, someone tell me what he or she thinks isthe
>offical verdict on Slumbering in the game not during the game :) Also
>any opions on how good are the Guildbooks. THanx
>
>SaNguInist

Hhmmm... what do you mean? Slumbering is the act of a wraith "slipping
into" a fetter and resting in order to regain corpus. When slumbering,
the wraith is not able to be seen by other wraiths, nor is the slumbering
wraith aware of anything that happens to the world around it. I'm not
sure if the Inhabit ability "Detect Possession" will detect a slumbering
wraith within an object, but I guess that's either in the rules or up to
the ST. Also, I could see where a wraith could use LifeWeb to detect a
wraith in a fetter, but no rules that I know of are given for this. at
any rate, you slumber for about 8 hours in order to regain corpus. Then
roll your Stamina on a diff 6 and any success are points of lost coprus
regained.

In my opinion, I like the Guildbooks very much, although I've yet to get
the Artificers book. Besides the power thing (ooohhh! New uses for
Phantasm!) you get an idea as to how the guilds relate to each other, a
bit of biased history and other fun tidbits. Of course, in my chronicle,
no one is going to be using any new arcanos-effects except for the rare
NPC since none of the characters are guild members and thusly don't have
the learning. Still, I think the Guildbooks fill out the game nicely from
the basic 4 line descriptions given in the rulebook. And I'm anxiously
awaiting the Haunter's Guildbook and praying for a Pardoner's Guildbook to
come out soon. Hmmm... "praying for a Pardoner's guildbook?" Well, no pun
intended :)

WWBanquo

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Jeffrey more or less hit the nail on the head with Slumbering. Bear in
mind, however, that wraiths can just sleep as well as Slumber. Otherwise
Charon would have been on a fourteen-century insomniac ramble by the time
he went down in that whirlpool...

Pardoners, along with Puppeteers, will be the next Guildbook. From here on
in we'll be putting 2 under one cover - more words and a lower
price-per-Guild.

Oh, and just for completeness' sake, the Puppeteers half of the new
Guildbook is written by Elizabeth Ditchburn and Heather Grove (authors of
the Risen) while the Pardoners material is by Jackie Cassada and Nicky Rea
(who have Hierarchy, Sea of Shadows, and all sorts of other goodies to
their credit).

---the deadguy, who's kind of a sleepy wraith himself at this point.
00-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-00
"So I said all the best freaks are here
All the best freaks are here
Please, stop staring at me"/Marillion, "Freaks"
00-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-00
Richard Dansky, White Wolf Gaming Studio
Wraith/Mind's Eye Theatre Guy
00-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-00

Larry J Lennhoff

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

In article <19970425063...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

WWBanquo <wwba...@aol.com> wrote:
>Jeffrey more or less hit the nail on the head with Slumbering. Bear in
>mind, however, that wraiths can just sleep as well as Slumber. Otherwise
>Charon would have been on a fourteen-century insomniac ramble by the time
>he went down in that whirlpool...

Can sleep or must sleep? If must how often? Where does a sleeping
Wraith lie? Is it still visible? etc. The only reference I knew
to sleeping Wraiths was the Dreams of Sleep reference for the Phantasm
arcanos.

While we're on slumbering, does the meditation roll replace the
need for slumber or does it simply hasten the benefit? In other words,
must you fade into a fetter while meditating to gain the
accelerated slumber benefit? What about Wraiths in Stygia? Is the
only ways for them to recover corpus through the use of Pathos and the
Usury arcanos?

On an unrelated (but still Wraith) topic, I notice that people who
want unusual Arcanoi are urged to seek out the obscure elder wraiths
who know them. Is the degree of experience to create new variant arts
or whole new arcanoi beyond that which PCs are expected to reach?
Any suggestions for mechanics for researching such?

Larry
--
Barbecues, tea kettles, gobs of axle grease.
There comes a time for every man to sail the seas of cheese.

Winter

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Larry J Lennhoff wrote:

> In article <19970425063...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> WWBanquo <wwba...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Jeffrey more or less hit the nail on the head with Slumbering. Bear in
> >mind, however, that wraiths can just sleep as well as Slumber. Otherwise
> >Charon would have been on a fourteen-century insomniac ramble by the time
> >he went down in that whirlpool...
>
> Can sleep or must sleep? If must how often? Where does a sleeping
> Wraith lie? Is it still visible? etc. The only reference I knew
> to sleeping Wraiths was the Dreams of Sleep reference for the Phantasm
> arcanos.

i wopuld say that since a wraith is pretty much nothing more than a
disembodied intellect, that physicaly, no, corpus doesn't get tired and
require sleep
the wraiths mind on the other hand,
if a wraith was accustomed to sleeping in life (and who isn't?)
i would say that they would sleep in the shadowlands also
perhaps someday they would stop, but i think most all wraiths sleep
sleping wraiths could sleep anywhere really
altho somewhere safe would be smartest
still visible

> While we're on slumbering, does the meditation roll replace the
> need for slumber or does it simply hasten the benefit? In other words,
> must you fade into a fetter while meditating to gain the
> accelerated slumber benefit? What about Wraiths in Stygia? Is the
> only ways for them to recover corpus through the use of Pathos and the

> Usury arcanos?well, wraiths don't HAVE to slumber
it'd make unlife dagnasty for wraiths with no fetters
as for styigian wriaths yes- they can't really slumber

> On an unrelated (but still Wraith) topic, I notice that people who
> want unusual Arcanoi are urged to seek out the obscure elder wraiths
> who know them. Is the degree of experience to create new variant arts
> or whole new arcanoi beyond that which PCs are expected to reach?

> Any suggestions for mechanics for researching such?not really
it's just that most of these powers are somewhat secret
and obsure elder wraiths are usualy the easiest (hah) way of learning
secret nifty stuff

as for players creating their own new arcanoi powers,
perhaps a system similar to the one in CB:Tremere for creating new paths

--
Winter---------...@odin.cmp.ilstu.edu
NetWraithInnerCircle Member #242, SpamFerryman

Winter

Apr 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/25/97

Kestrel the Fairly Decent Dragon

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

l...@netcom.com (Larry J Lennhoff) wrote:

>>Jeffrey more or less hit the nail on the head with Slumbering. Bear in
>>mind, however, that wraiths can just sleep as well as Slumber. Otherwise
>>Charon would have been on a fourteen-century insomniac ramble by the time
>>he went down in that whirlpool...

>Can sleep or must sleep? If must how often? Where does a sleeping
>Wraith lie? Is it still visible? etc. The only reference I knew
>to sleeping Wraiths was the Dreams of Sleep reference for the Phantasm
>arcanos.

Well, Slumber has a section unto itself. As far as I can tell, Wraiths
only need to sleep when hurt. They can Slumber inside a Fetter
or (at least in 1st ed.) a Haunt. They are absorbed into the Fetter,
and are not visible.

>While we're on slumbering, does the meditation roll replace the
>need for slumber or does it simply hasten the benefit? In other words,
>must you fade into a fetter while meditating to gain the
>accelerated slumber benefit?

Nope.

>What about Wraiths in Stygia? Is the only ways for them to recover
>corpus through the use of Pathos and the Usury arcanos?

Unless they can journey to the Shadowlands, yep. Stygia is the city
that never sleeps.

>On an unrelated (but still Wraith) topic, I notice that people who
>want unusual Arcanoi are urged to seek out the obscure elder wraiths
>who know them. Is the degree of experience to create new variant arts
>or whole new arcanoi beyond that which PCs are expected to reach?
>Any suggestions for mechanics for researching such?

New Arcanoi take a while to build, and are often bestowed
as opposed to given (Nhudri and Inhabit, the Wyld creature
and Pandemonium).

Kestrel

"But you know evil is an exact science,
Being carefully, correctly wrong."

-Shriekback, "Nemesis"

Bryan H. Mosier

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

USER NAME wrote:

> Help-
> I have been back and forth on this issue with my players, and it has
> come to this. I am starting a new Wraith (owned for a while/ players
> just got interested), but in trying to hammer out the rules with my
> players (yes I talk to them about these things) concerning some of the
> typos I have found. Ok, someone tell me what he or she thinks isthe
> offical verdict on Slumbering in the game not during the game :) Also
> any opions on how good are the Guildbooks. THanx
>
> SaNguInist

Yes it is in the book. Look up the meditation ability to find out what
slumbering does.