Managing the Command Buttons

facema...@yahoo.com

Apr 9, 2007, 2:06:09 PM4/9/07
As I have moved up the levels (40), I accumulate more things I can do.
Thus, I have more things to do than buttons.

I was wondering what people do to manage this.

What I have been doing is having a few of the best spells on the main
bar for combat.

Raptor Strike
Melee Strike
Wing Clip

Two stings
Stun
Multiple shot
Rapid shot

Explosive trap

Aspect of the monkey
Aspect of the spider (maybe falcon...for ranged attack).

My normal sequence of a attack would be to. Go to the second screen of
buttons and select hunters mark. Go to the first set of buttons and
select aspect of the spider. Put an explosive trap at my feet. Wait a
few seconds. Send in the bird to attack. Wait a few seconds. Then hit
with arrows.

When the target turns towards me, hit him with a stun shot.

When he reaches me, switch to aspect of the monkey. Hit him with
raptor strick whenever available. Hit him with melee strike when not.
When the next explosive traps is ready, drop that.

Another row of buttons visible would be a big help at this point.

PS: What I have not figured out what the level of monsters really
means. At level 39, I could easily wack L44 welphs and rock elementals
-- but some L38 characters could easily get me.

John Salerno

Apr 9, 2007, 2:53:18 PM4/9/07
facema...@yahoo.com wrote:

> What I have been doing is having a few of the best spells on the main
> bar for combat.
>
> Raptor Strike
> Melee Strike
> Wing Clip
>
> Two stings
> Stun
> Multiple shot
> Rapid shot
>
> Explosive trap
>
> Aspect of the monkey
> Aspect of the spider (maybe falcon...for ranged attack).

Hawk. :)

Anyway, I tend to put my most used attacks in the 1-4 slots and I rest
my fingers on those buttons during a battle. Other often used stuff gets
a numbered slot, such as stings/shots/mana tap, etc. I put the tracking
abilities in an extra action bar above the main one, and I fill up the
other extra bars in some sort of order. I also got an add-on for the
aspects, so that saves room too.

I used to not like having all those bars on the screen, but now I'm used
to it and it's definitely necessary.

> My normal sequence of a attack would be to. Go to the second screen of
> buttons and select hunters mark. Go to the first set of buttons and
> select aspect of the spider. Put an explosive trap at my feet. Wait a
> few seconds. Send in the bird to attack. Wait a few seconds. Then hit
> with arrows.
>
> When the target turns towards me, hit him with a stun shot.
>
> When he reaches me, switch to aspect of the monkey. Hit him with
> raptor strick whenever available. Hit him with melee strike when not.
> When the next explosive traps is ready, drop that.

By stun shot, do you mean concussive shot? And do you frequently solo?
Nothing wrong with that, but does your pet not hold aggro well? Almost
always you should be able to stay at a distance and used ranged attacks.
I wouldn't put the melee abilities in place of more valuable ranged
attacks on the toolbar.

> PS: What I have not figured out what the level of monsters really
> means. At level 39, I could easily wack L44 welphs and rock elementals
> -- but some L38 characters could easily get me.

What do you mean by what they mean? :) Levels are just what they are in
relation to any others, yourself included. As a hunter it is very easy
to solo mobs 5 levels higher than you. I don't know why a 38 would be
hard, though. Any mob in particular? You sure it wasn't elite? (Although
solo'ing an elite of equal level is also easy as a hunter)

Darin Johnson

Apr 9, 2007, 4:08:09 PM4/9/07
On Apr 9, 11:06 am, faceman28...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I was wondering what people do to manage this.
>
> What I have been doing is having a few of the best spells on the main
> bar for combat.
>
> Raptor Strike
> Melee Strike
> Wing Clip

I put all the melee stuff on a separate bar. They're
rarely used. Last resort or specialized usage only.

> Two stings
> Stun
> Multiple shot
> Rapid shot

No Arcane shot?

I put all the basic ranged attack type stuff on the main
bar. I also pulled off the "auto-attack" button, since
you can do the same thing with the "t" key (and I always
start combat with arcane, sting, or aimed anyway).

> My normal sequence of a attack would be to. Go to the second screen of
> buttons and select hunters mark.

Ok, I have all the stuff I need to use in combat visible
on screen. I don't have to shift tool bars. The way this
is done is to make more than one bar visible on screen
at once. If you haven't done this, you need to. Go to the
interface options page and click the second tab. (while
you're there, select the option that locks the buttons
down so you don't accidentally move them while in combat)

I opened up the rightmost bar and the bottom right bar.
You can experiment with other setups if needed.
Then for all my characters, the default bar to the left
has the most common combat abilities (since they're quickly
activated with number keys). My rightmost bar has buffs,
aspects , food, potions, and tracking usually. Sometimes I
put scrolls and quest items there, as a reminder to me to use
them. Sometimes I have a second bar on the right when I need
more. The bottom right bar I use for less common abilities,
like melee for hunter, heals and resurrect for paladin, etc.
I don't use the second bottom-left toolbar because the pet
abilities bar is already there and I didn't want a tall
stack of three toolbars.

Just keep things ordered logically if you can, so that you
can find the icon you need in a hurry when you have to.

Then on the hidden toolbars I put the less common stuff
that I don't use in combat. Tradeskills of course; plus
fishing pole and weapons so I can swap them easily. I also
put pet stuff on a hidden bar, like tame, train, revive, etc.
(I keep mend up and visible though) Really uncommon stuff
doesn't need to be on icons (I didn't really need to put
train pet on a toolbar).

For hunter tracking abilities, which you'll get a lot of,
you can put these on a bar of their own if you want. But
I made a macro that cycles through them all, so it takes
only one button.

> When he reaches me, switch to aspect of the monkey. Hit him with
> raptor strick whenever available.

Generally, they shouldn't reach you most of the time. If this
is very common, then maybe you need to teach your pet higher
ranks of "growl" (which you can do every 10 levels).

Also, if you get the "disengage" skill (level 20), use that
instead of raptor attack, which will help send the monster
back at your pet instead of you.

I rarely use traps, but I should be doing this more.
But if your pet is fighting one and a second enemy
is in your face, use freeze trap to immobilize it
while you go back to shooting at what your pet is
fighting.

Also use Feign Death if you need to (level 30).

> -- but some L38 characters could easily get me.

Are they elite? I don't have troubles with anything
that is one level below me, except maybe some specialized
elites. The trick is to make your pet fight them, not
yourself. If an elite of your level is in your face,
then you need to do something about it. Feign Death
or Disengage. Make sure the pet's growl is turned on.
(though at level 39, the level 30 growl the pet has is
not as effective as it used to be)

The goal is to make sure the pet dies before you do.

--
Darin Johnson

John Cochran

Apr 9, 2007, 4:14:11 PM4/9/07
In article <1176141969.6...@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

Have you looked at the Advanced options on the interface? Using them, you
can have 5 of your 6 action bars displayed on-screen at all times. My main
character is a hunter and when the pet is active, I have two action bars
down the right hand side of the screen. These bars contain my tracking
abilities and the various aspects I can assume as well as various "utility"
skills (mount, summon/heal/res pet, etc. Things that I don't immediately
need in combat).

On the bottom, there are 3 rows of buttons (the top row being pet abilities).
Just below the pet ability bar is two action bars for 24 buttons total.
This row contains on the left various combat abilities with melee towards the
left edge and ranged in the middle with heals (potions, bandages, food, drink)
on the right.
Underneath is a switchable action bar with my melee on the left and ranged
on the right. If I switch to the alternate bar, I have a quick cluster for
pet taming (aspect of monkey, freezing trap, tame beast) on the left and on
the right I have my various professions.

Overall, I have all of my immediately needed abilities visible on a button
somewhere at all times in the field and I even have room for "extras" For
example I moved my icon for the ammo I'm using to a button so that I can see
at a glance how much ammo I still have.

I did rearange my pet's action bar swapping the location of agressive/defensive/passive with attack/follow/stay so that in the center of my stack of three
action bars I have my primary ranged combat abilities available at all times.

facema...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2007, 10:54:17 AM4/10/07
On Apr 9, 2:53 pm, John Salerno <johnj...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> By stun shot, do you mean concussive shot? And do you frequently solo?

Yes and yes.

> Nothing wrong with that, but does your pet not hold aggro well? Almost
> always you should be able to stay at a distance and used ranged attacks.

I must be doing something wrong because my pet (L 41 owl)only seems to
delay. The owl attacks the baddie. I start shooting. After a few
seconds the baddie comes after me (with the owl in pursuit). My chance
of victory depends upon how much damage I have managed to inflict by
the time the baddie is on me.

It's rare (but does happen) for me to wack something near my level
before it reaches or the trap I place in front of me.

Thus, it seems if it L44 jumps me, I'm dead. If I can get enough shots
in it before it comes after me, it's dead.

> I wouldn't put the melee abilities in place of more valuable ranged
> attacks on the toolbar.

I which I knew what the difference ranged attacks really did. There's
arcane damage. Nature damage, etc.

facema...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2007, 11:04:56 AM4/10/07
On Apr 9, 4:08 pm, "Darin Johnson" <d...@usa.net> wrote:
> No Arcane shot?

Yes. That one seems to do the most damage.

> interface options page and click the second tab. (while
> you're there, select the option that locks the buttons
> down so you don't accidentally move them while in combat)

I'll have to check that. I have a big problem with items disappearing
whil in combat.

> Generally, they shouldn't reach you most of the time. If this
> is very common, then maybe you need to teach your pet higher
> ranks of "growl" (which you can do every 10 levels).

They reach me nearly EVERY time (unless they are the low level
creatures that jump me while traveling that I would rather ignore).
Occasionally, one will die when it hits the trap I put in front of me.
Rarely, I drop one while it's running towards me.

I have all the pet, hunter, and combat skills for level 41.

> Also, if you get the "disengage" skill (level 20), use that
> instead of raptor attack, which will help send the monster
> back at your pet instead of you.

I got this but have never used it. WIll have to try. I have a lot of
these skills that I don't know what to do with. :-(

> I rarely use traps, but I should be doing this more.
> But if your pet is fighting one and a second enemy
> is in your face, use freeze trap to immobilize it
> while you go back to shooting at what your pet is
> fighting.

I don't think I've used the freezing trap yet. I'll have to try.

> Also use Feign Death if you need to (level 30).

I've been using this one a lot. (When I can get to it in time.)

> > -- but some L38 characters could easily get me.
>
> Are they elite? I don't have troubles with anything
> that is one level below me, except maybe some specialized
> elites. The trick is to make your pet fight them, not
> yourself. If an elite of your level is in your face,
> then you need to do something about it. Feign Death
> or Disengage. Make sure the pet's growl is turned on.
> (though at level 39, the level 30 growl the pet has is
> not as effective as it used to be)

How does one tell if it's an elite? How do you turn groal on?

> The goal is to make sure the pet dies before you do.

I try that. And if you kill my pet, I make sure to come back and kill
you.

The big problem is I have more skills (and without reconfiguring) than
I can put on the buttons and use.

Urbin

Apr 10, 2007, 11:38:35 AM4/10/07
On 10 Apr 2007 08:04:56 -0700, facema...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 9, 4:08 pm, "Darin Johnson" <d...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > Generally, they shouldn't reach you most of the time. If this
> > is very common, then maybe you need to teach your pet higher
> > ranks of "growl" (which you can do every 10 levels).
>
> They reach me nearly EVERY time

You have a "growl" issue, then!

> I have all the pet, hunter, and combat skills for level 41.

I assume that you are telling me that you learned growl rank X from the pet
trainer (this means that *YOU* now know it). Did you also *TEACH IT TO YOUR
PET*? You do this using the icon that looks like a sling.

> > Also use Feign Death if you need to (level 30).
>
> I've been using this one a lot. (When I can get to it in time.)

Make sure you have it on a button easily accesible (or even with a hot key).

> How does one tell if it's an elite?

If a mob has a golden dragon around its portrait, it is elite (or in special
cases a rare elite). Or when mousing over it, your tooltip would say
"Bonegnawer Castermaster, Level 38 Elite" instead of "Bonegnawer
Castermaster, Level 38".

> How do you turn groal on?

Make sure you have taught it to your pet using the sling shot command in
your spell book.

Then go to your spell book, with your pet around. There should be a second
tab for your pet. Check that one of the talents it has is "Growl Rank X".
Make sure that it has a "sparkiling" border. If it does not, right click the
icon to enable that. Growl is now on autocast.

Check your pet bar. The first three buttons are Attack, Return, Stay. The
last three buttons are Aggressive, Defensive, Passive. The middle four
buttons can be used for any special pet ability. Make sure growl is on the
leftmost of those four buttons.

Cheers
Urbin

--
Urbin (70), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Sunh (60), Nightelven Priest (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

John Salerno

Apr 10, 2007, 11:54:02 AM4/10/07
facema...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I must be doing something wrong because my pet (L 41 owl)only seems to
> delay. The owl attacks the baddie. I start shooting. After a few
> seconds the baddie comes after me (with the owl in pursuit). My chance
> of victory depends upon how much damage I have managed to inflict by
> the time the baddie is on me.

Couple of things I can think of:

1. You are dealing damage before your pet has a chance to reach the mob,
so the aggro goes to you first.
2. You are MM spec and sometimes you tend to get aggro more.
3. Your pet doesn't have any ranks of Growl, or perhaps a lower rank.

Any of these the case?

> It's rare (but does happen) for me to wack something near my level
> before it reaches or the trap I place in front of me.

I don't understand what you mean here.

> Thus, it seems if it L44 jumps me, I'm dead. If I can get enough shots
> in it before it comes after me, it's dead.

Even if something jumps you, there are several things that you can do.

1. If your pet is in defensive mode, it will attack the mob and should
get aggro, as long as you don't attack (especially if your pet has Growl).
2. Use Disengage to remove your aggro, then back up and attack at range.
3. Use a Freezing Trap to get range.
4. Use Wingclip to slow them down, then move into range.

> I which I knew what the difference ranged attacks really did. There's
> arcane damage. Nature damage, etc.

Why don't you know what they do? Just read the descriptions. What's an
example of something you don't understand?

If you're saying you don't understand when to use them, then it's really
just a matter of preference. On mobs I think will take a while (like
elites), I use Serpent Sting then Arcane Shot whenever it's ready. On
normal mobs of my level or lower, I use Arcane Shot twice and no more,
just to conserve mana. I don't use Serpent Sting as much as I used to
because it's often not necessary, and it costs about 150 mana.

You could also set a fire trap, pull the mob toward it, then send in
your pet (with Growl!) and that will do even more damage. Having a boar
is great in this case, because the Charge ability will stop the mob
immediately, and then Growl takes the aggro, so even though you attacked
first to pull it, the mob has completely forgotten about you now. :)

John Salerno

Apr 10, 2007, 11:55:58 AM4/10/07
facema...@yahoo.com wrote:

>> Generally, they shouldn't reach you most of the time. If this
>> is very common, then maybe you need to teach your pet higher
>> ranks of "growl" (which you can do every 10 levels).

> I have all the pet, hunter, and combat skills for level 41.

Is Growl "on"? You will see if it's on because it will have a glowing
border around the icon. If not, then right-click it and it will turn on.
Otherwise your pet isn't using it (or any of the other abilities if
they're off)

facema...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2007, 12:24:16 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 11:54 am, John Salerno <johnj...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> faceman28...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Couple of things I can think of:
>
> 1. You are dealing damage before your pet has a chance to reach the mob,
> so the aggro goes to you first.

I always the pet reach first. (Don't know the term "aggro")

> 2. You are MM spec and sometimes you tend to get aggro more.

Don't know what "MM Spec" means

> 3. Your pet doesn't have any ranks of Growl, or perhaps a lower rank.

I'll have to check. If this is something you can train as, I have done
all the training available.

> > It's rare (but does happen) for me to wack something near my level
> > before it reaches or the trap I place in front of me.
>
> I don't understand what you mean here.

I tend to put a fire trap at my feet before sending the bird in. I
give the bird a few second then start shooting. After a while the
target starts to attack me.

It is extreme rare for me to then kill the target before it reaches
the trap and it is rare for the trap to kill the target.

> > Thus, it seems if it L44 jumps me, I'm dead. If I can get enough shots
> > in it before it comes after me, it's dead.
>
> Even if something jumps you, there are several things that you can do.
>
> 1. If your pet is in defensive mode, it will attack the mob and should
> get aggro, as long as you don't attack (especially if your pet has Growl).
> 2. Use Disengage to remove your aggro, then back up and attack at range.

I will have to try disengage. Never used it so far since there was no
room for the button (subject).

> 3. Use a Freezing Trap to get range.
> 4. Use Wingclip to slow them down, then move into range.
>
> > I which I knew what the difference ranged attacks really did. There's
> > arcane damage. Nature damage, etc.
>
> Why don't you know what they do? Just read the descriptions. What's an
> example of something you don't understand?

The description will say causes "nature damage" or "arcane damage". I
have no idea what these types of damage are. All I know is that
"arcane damage" seems to cause the most damage.

Maybe I need a new put....but I've had this one for sooooooo long. (My
very first pet.)

facema...@yahoo.com

Apr 10, 2007, 12:27:45 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 11:38 am, Urbin <u...@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2007 08:04:56 -0700, faceman28...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > On Apr 9, 4:08 pm, "Darin Johnson" <d...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> > > Generally, they shouldn't reach you most of the time. If this
> > > is very common, then maybe you need to teach your pet higher
> > > ranks of "growl" (which you can do every 10 levels).
>
> > They reach me nearly EVERY time
>
> You have a "growl" issue, then!
>
> > I have all the pet, hunter, and combat skills for level 41.
>
> I assume that you are telling me that you learned growl rank X from the pet
> trainer (this means that *YOU* now know it). Did you also *TEACH IT TO YOUR
> PET*? You do this using the icon that looks like a sling.

This may be the problem I have learned all the skills possible from
the pet trainer. I have never taught anything to the pet. So should
click on all my best ability icons to teach the pet?

> Check your pet bar. The first three buttons are Attack, Return, Stay. The
> last three buttons are Aggressive, Defensive, Passive. The middle four
> buttons can be used for any special pet ability. Make sure growl is on the

I've never put anything in those buttons. The first six are the only
ones there.

arrow down hill

Apr 10, 2007, 12:41:54 PM4/10/07

Aggro is the term used for when you draw an enemy to attack you. Your
pet is who you want to draw the most aggro, thats why growl helps. you
draw aggro by doing too much damage to the enemy. MM means
marksmanship talent tree. Disengage will help alot in "dropping
aggro", and as for your pet. Just make sure your going to the pet
trainer every few levels and keeping up to date, as well as trying to
keep the pet as happy as possible by feeding it, so that you can train
in all the needed abilities to maintain aggro.

disnia

Apr 10, 2007, 1:02:39 PM4/10/07

This is where a warlock is so good. By the time he gets to me I got
him dot'd up. He gets to me I just Drain Life till he's dead or wand
him. Wanding saves mana.

John Salerno

Apr 10, 2007, 1:25:55 PM4/10/07
facema...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I always the pet reach first. (Don't know the term "aggro")

Aggro stands for aggravation, I assume. :) Anyway, it means that your
enemy has more of a focus on you than anything else and will come after you.

>> 2. You are MM spec and sometimes you tend to get aggro more.
>
> Don't know what "MM Spec" means

There are three talent trees any class can train in. A hunter has Beast
Mastery (BM), Marksmanship (MM), and Survival. You are training in these
talents, right?

> I'll have to check. If this is something you can train as, I have done
> all the training available.

Even at a lower level, I don't think it's possible to have trained
everything on your pet. Something's wrong here.

> I will have to try disengage. Never used it so far since there was no
> room for the button (subject).

It *really* helps to open up the extra toolbars (advanced options under
interface options).

> The description will say causes "nature damage" or "arcane damage". I
> have no idea what these types of damage are. All I know is that
> "arcane damage" seems to cause the most damage.

For the most part the type of damage doesn't matter. When it matters is
when an enemy (called a "mob") has a resistance to it, so it won't do as
much or any damage.

John Salerno

Apr 10, 2007, 1:28:51 PM4/10/07
facema...@yahoo.com wrote:

> This may be the problem I have learned all the skills possible from
> the pet trainer. I have never taught anything to the pet. So should
> click on all my best ability icons to teach the pet?

Ah ha! Then your pet has no abilities! What you need to do is open your
abilities window (hotkey P) and then click on the General tab. Find the
"Beast Training" button (looks like a slingshot) and click it. This will
open up a list of abilities *you* know, but now you must train your pet
to know them. You only have a certain number of training points to use,
so I recommend skipping all of the resistances for now, because they
aren't needed. Growl, however, is free, so train the highest rank of
that to your pet and he will keep aggro for you from now on.

P.S. Aside from these abilities, you can also learn other abilities by
taming other beasts that know them. Once that beast uses that ability,
eventually you will learn it, then can pass it on to your pet. Since you
have an owl, look at this page:

http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/html/families/family_owl.shtml

Darin Johnson

Apr 10, 2007, 2:32:43 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 9:41 am, "arrow down hill" <arrowdownh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Just make sure your going to the pet
> trainer every few levels and keeping up to date,

Also, just to clarify this; go to the "pet" trainer,
not the "hunter" trainer. Then once you learn the
growl abilities you still have to teach them to the
pet with the "train" ability.

--
Darin Johnson

Darin Johnson

Apr 10, 2007, 4:00:12 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 10:28 am, John Salerno <johnj...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Ah ha! Then your pet has no abilities! What you need to do is open your
> abilities window (hotkey P) and then click on the General tab. Find the
> "Beast Training" button (looks like a slingshot) and click it. This will
> open up a list of abilities *you* know, but now you must train your pet
> to know them.

Train "growl" first, so that it shows up in the first
(I haven't figured out how to move these around later).
Then train a pet combat ability; for birds this might be
"screech". Don't train two active combat abilities
until you know what you're doing. Then train up
natural armor and great stamina to their max levels,
which you should be able to do at level 40. Though
soon you will find you may have to choose one or the
other.

Don't worry about other skills yet, like resistances.
You can learn other skills from temporary pets that
you train, but don't worry about this yet.

Make sure the "growl" button has a glowing/circling
border around it. This means it's on "auto", and the
pet will use it automatically when appropriate. Other
combat abilities should be on auto also. You can toggle
this by right clicking the icon, then activate it manually
by left clicking.

If you got to level 40 without doing this, then you're
going to find that the going will get much easier :-)

--
Darin Johnson

John Salerno

Apr 10, 2007, 4:16:19 PM4/10/07
Darin Johnson wrote:

> Train "growl" first, so that it shows up in the first
> (I haven't figured out how to move these around later).

I'm pretty sure I've just dragged and dropped them like other icons. Did
that not work for you?

king...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2007, 4:20:54 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 1:28 pm, John Salerno <johnj...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

IMO Petopia is THE best place to learn all about hunter pets. :)

for the original topic....
I use macros to put multiple abilities on one button.
in WOW, type: /macros
That will bring up the Macros interface.
Next, if you have more than one character, and the macros are
character specific, click on the "YourName" Specific Tab.
Click NEW
Next Choose your Icon from the icons below... there are a ton of them.
Then, pick a name for your macro, click ok

Now comes the fun part
Lets say you want to be able to use Raptor Strike and Mongoose Bite
when they're available but only want Wing Clip when you choose to slow
them down (Wing clip has only the global cooldown of 1.5 sec but does
cost mana...)
you'd type in the macro field:

/castrandom [nomodifier] Raptor Strike, Mongoose Bite
/cast [Modifier:alt] Wing Clip

Then drag the Icon down to your action bar.
now when you use the button, it will randomly choose Raptor or
Mongoose, but only if they're available.
Then hold down the Alt key and hit that button and it will do Wing
Clip.

If you know you always use the same 3 opening shots. You can do
castsequence:

/castsequence Aimed Shot, Steady Shot, Arcane shot

This will start with aimed shot, then when you hit the button next it
will do Steady Shot, then Arcane
if you want to do Multishot you hold down alt while pushing the
button, and the next button push will pick up where it left off. you
can also do a reset so it will start the sequence over when you change
targets...
for instance

/castsequence [reset=target]Aimed Shot, Steady Shot, Arcane shot

Or you can do it as state dependant

/cast [group] Aspect of the Pack
/cast [nogroup] Aspect of the Cheetah

Also, if the ability doesn't trigger the global cooldown you can do a
macro to do 2 things at once. For example

/pet attack
/cast Hunter's Mark

having your pet attack doesn't call the global cooldown so it will
immediately cast the Hunter's Mark. both things in one button press.

There are great macros to literally copy and paste, and lots of
pointers on macros at Http://www.WOWwiki.com

Hope that helps
Kint:)

Urbin

Apr 10, 2007, 6:40:49 PM4/10/07

Yes, drag and drop should work nicely

Urbin

Apr 10, 2007, 6:40:15 PM4/10/07
On 10 Apr 2007 09:27:45 -0700, facema...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Apr 10, 11:38 am, Urbin <u...@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

> > > They reach me nearly EVERY time
> >
> > You have a "growl" issue, then!
> >
> > > I have all the pet, hunter, and combat skills for level 41.
> >
> > I assume that you are telling me that you learned growl rank X from the pet
> > trainer (this means that *YOU* now know it). Did you also *TEACH IT TO YOUR
> > PET*? You do this using the icon that looks like a sling.
>
> This may be the problem I have learned all the skills possible from
> the pet trainer. I have never taught anything to the pet. So should
> click on all my best ability icons to teach the pet?

This is the problem then. Look for the slingshot icon in your spell book.
You will most likely not be able to teach your pet everything, but make sure
you at least teach it the highest rank of growl.

> > Check your pet bar. The first three buttons are Attack, Return, Stay. The
> > last three buttons are Aggressive, Defensive, Passive. The middle four
> > buttons can be used for any special pet ability. Make sure growl is on the
>
> I've never put anything in those buttons. The first six are the only
> ones there.

Usually, the abilities you teach your pet are put there automatically. But
if it doesn't - yet - have any, there are none.

Darin Johnson

Apr 10, 2007, 6:51:08 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 3:40 pm, Urbin <u...@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:
> Yes, drag and drop should work nicely

I have toolbars locked though, and the normal
shift-click did not work. I can try unlocking
them if this problem comes up again.

--
Darin Johnson

Darin Johnson

Apr 10, 2007, 6:51:29 PM4/10/07
On Apr 10, 3:40 pm, Urbin <u...@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:
> Yes, drag and drop should work nicely

I have toolbars locked though, and the normal

Zil

Apr 11, 2007, 9:33:32 AM4/11/07
facema...@yahoo.com <facema...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 10, 11:54 am, John Salerno <johnj...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> > faceman28...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Couple of things I can think of:
> >
> > 1. You are dealing damage before your pet has a chance to reach the mob,
> > so the aggro goes to you first.
>
> I always the pet reach first. (Don't know the term "aggro")

Aggro (derived from the word 'aggravation') is a term used in WoW do
describe some of the mechanics behind the game.

Any computer-controlled monsters ('mobs') in WoW will internally keep
a list of which players (and player's pets) they dislike. They will
attack whoever is at the top of this threat list.

When you do damage to a mob you will move up its threat list. When you
heal someone that is on the mob's threat list you will move up the
list too. Different attacks produce differing amounts of threat and
move you further or less up the threat list.

When you get to the top of a mob's threat list he will stop attacking
his current target and switch to you (in WoW terminology you 'get
aggro').

As a hunter, you need to keep your pets threat higher than
your own so that the mob attacks your pet in preference to yourself.
The best way to do this is to train your pet in the Growl skill, and
make sure Growl is on automatic (on your pet bar, right-click the
growl icon until there is an animated border around it - the border
indicates the skill is on auto-cast). Growl causes a high amount of
threat and forces the mob to concentrate on your pet.

Also, don't use high-damage attacks (like multi-shot) early in the
fight - you need time for your pet to build up threat with the mob
before you unleash all that power so that the mob won't immediately
turn to you.

If you *do* gain aggro, the quickest way to shed it is to hit Feign
Death. This clears you from the mob's threat list completely, causing
him to lose interest in you and go back to your pet.

Hope that helps a little.

--
Zil, Level 70 NE Priest, Aman Shan're, Stormrage Europe

facema...@yahoo.com

Apr 11, 2007, 12:06:57 PM4/11/07
On Apr 10, 1:02 pm, disnia wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2007 07:54:17 -0700, faceman28...@yahoo.com wrote:

A really big thanks to you folks. Following your lead I did get the
additional buttons on the screen. It works great.

I got the pet trained. Now the behavior is completely different. I was
wacking gorillas to get five gibliets to scare some guy in Booty Bay.
It took 32 kills to get 5 the five. However, as you folks said, the
gorillas stuck with the pet.

The only problem I encounteres was going south along the eastern coast
and fighting the warlocks, winged girls,.and sailor was that with
their concentrated attention on my pet, the pet was getting killed a
lot more (then they would come after me).

RogerM

Apr 11, 2007, 12:54:56 PM4/11/07
facema...@yahoo.com wrote:

> On Apr 10, 1:02 pm, disnia wrote:
> > On 10 Apr 2007 07:54:17 -0700, faceman28...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >

> A really big thanks to you folks. Following your lead I did get the
> additional buttons on the screen. It works great.
>
> I got the pet trained. Now the behavior is completely different. I was
> wacking gorillas to get five gibliets to scare some guy in Booty Bay.
> It took 32 kills to get 5 the five. However, as you folks said, the
> gorillas stuck with the pet.

I recommend having the pet do a couple of attacks on each of its mobs,
so you won't pull aggro with the occasional mend pet.

> The only problem I encounteres was going south along the eastern coast
> and fighting the warlocks, winged girls,.and sailor was that with
> their concentrated attention on my pet, the pet was getting killed a
> lot more (then they would come after me).

Your level or gear might be insufficient. Are you concentrating your
fire on your pet's target?

John Salerno

Apr 11, 2007, 2:15:08 PM4/11/07
facema...@yahoo.com wrote:

> The only problem I encounteres was going south along the eastern coast
> and fighting the warlocks, winged girls,.and sailor was that with
> their concentrated attention on my pet, the pet was getting killed a
> lot more (then they would come after me).

The warlocks and their succubuses (succubi!) come together, but you
should try to avoid getting any additional mobs (the sailors). Focus
both you and your pet's attacks on a single target until it's dead, then
switch. I tend to go for the warlock first, then the pet. In the case of
imps, they hit hard but are very easy to kill, so it might be better to
take them out first.

AlphaWoolf

Apr 12, 2007, 3:02:07 PM4/12/07

Lay out a freeze trap in front of you, and intentionally fire at an
enemy your pet is not attacking. It should run toward you (unless it
casts spells, do this to a melee opponent) and into your trap. Take
care not to attack it again; start shooting at your pet's target.
With that enemy in the trap you have time to concentrate on killing
the mob that is still in the fight.

Gnuthulhu, Undead Warlock
Fthagn, Undead Warrior
Rhyleya, Troll Hunter
Wydefoote, Tauren Shaman
Curwen, Blood Knight
Thunderhorn,US
Remove your coat for email.

John Salerno

Apr 12, 2007, 4:50:19 PM4/12/07
AlphaWoolf wrote:

> Lay out a freeze trap in front of you, and intentionally fire at an
> enemy your pet is not attacking. It should run toward you (unless it
> casts spells, do this to a melee opponent) and into your trap. Take
> care not to attack it again; start shooting at your pet's target.
> With that enemy in the trap you have time to concentrate on killing
> the mob that is still in the fight.

Yep, I do that a lot when the mobs are higher than me. But like you say,
be sure you aren't trying to pull a caster, because then you're in a bit
of trouble.

(You'll have to manually make your pet take aggro again. This isn't hard
to do though. I did the chicken escort quest in Feralas by myself. The
first ambush was three or four bears (plus an add who wanted to join in
on the fun). At first they were all attacking the chicken, so I sent my
pet to attack each one real quick, then they focused on him until they
were all ready for me to skin :)