Real sleazy attack on low resources - Comments?

B. Ridge

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Yep, a real lame move. Shows no regard for class or sportsmanship.
I've met players on #macwarcraft who do the same thing.
Brian

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Andrew Heyes wrote:

> I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was killed
> by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...
>
> The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
> when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman). He goes and
> stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As
> soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange got in the
> first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold
> left. Presumably orange then retreats and begins to build, leaving it 2 on 1.
>
> So if you are listening Loohman, be prepared to be kicked out of any games I
> create and enjoy playing the rest by yourself because I (and most other
> players) won't play with cheap shot losers like you.
>
> Andrew
> LOBO on Kahn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brian Ridge~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Be a craftsman in speech that you may be strong, for the strength of
one is the tongue, and speech is mightier than all fighting."
Ptahhotep

Dave Pooser

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

In article <aheyes.60...@csir.co.za>, ahe...@csir.co.za (Andrew
Heyes) wrote:

> I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was killed
> by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...
>
> The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
> when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman). He goes and
> stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As
> soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange got
in the
> first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold
> left. Presumably orange then retreats and begins to build, leaving it 2 on 1.
>
> So if you are listening Loohman, be prepared to be kicked out of any games I
> create and enjoy playing the rest by yourself because I (and most other
> players) won't play with cheap shot losers like you.

Cheezy, yeah, except that one's easily beatable. Just make one trip to the
goldmine before you start on a farm. Presto, you've got $400 in the bank
and can start producing a second peon if he kills your first one.

Or (payback is hell) you can send this second peon after his wounded one...

Bubba Dave Pooser
bub...@altinet.net

jr...@mail.ccnet.com

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

.....sleazy!!!,
Last time I checked there were no rules in war. I believe you may be
over reactting just a bit. When things like this happen my advice to
you is to take a step away from your computer and tell yourself it's
just a game, reconnect after this cheezy(not sleezy) move and play
someone that is more interested in playing a challenging game rather
then just winning, by using super cheese technique. Or maybe hunt
cheese boy down(Loohman) and try and beat him next time:)

rob
Ender1 on IRC, #macwarcraft

Andrew Heyes wrote:

> I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was killed
> by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...
>
> The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
> when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman). He goes and
> stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As
> soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange got in the
> first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold
> left. Presumably orange then retreats and begins to build, leaving it 2 on 1.
>
> So if you are listening Loohman, be prepared to be kicked out of any games I
> create and enjoy playing the rest by yourself because I (and most other
> players) won't play with cheap shot losers like you.
>

> Andrew
> LOBO on Kahn

Andrew Heyes

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

ceptor

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

that IS cheap as hell, but i think it could have easily backfired if you
had simply ignored him. it takes a substantial amount of hits for a peon to
kill another peon, and meanwhile you can shrug off his assaults and collect
that one bag of gold needed for the second peon. start training
immediately, and after you come out, just keep running around your hall
until the second one is ready, then attack him with both your peons and
you'd have a 2on1 in your favor, with no dishonor. but then again, people
that play like that would prolly drop the game after failing the attempt.

--
CepToR
Team Stinger

Team Stinger Site
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/2477/

Andrew Heyes <ahe...@csir.co.za> wrote in article
<aheyes.60...@csir.co.za>...

MeltDown

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

Andrew Heyes wrote:
> stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As
> soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange got in the
> first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold

Man that really sucks.. That move had never crossed my mind. I didn't
think you would have to state in the game, 'no attacks till second
peon'. Anyway here is something you might want to try in the future:

What you should do before you build your farm is go to the mine once,
just to get the cash.. Then when he leaves thinking you are dead you
then pump out another peon, go hunt his ass down and kill his peon while
it is building a farm.. Since he probably doesn't have a farm yet
anyway.. That should piss him off...

Regards,

MeltDown on Kali

Get my War 2 Name Coloring program from:
http://www.csra.net/jlawton/war2col.zip

Dan Zerkle

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Andrew Heyes (ahe...@csir.co.za) wrote:
: I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was killed
: by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...

: The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
: when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman). He goes and

: stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As

: soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange got in the
: first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold

: left. Presumably orange then retreats and begins to build, leaving it 2 on 1.

This is stupid. Just send YOUR peasant to go mine gold. If he can
survive to the gold mine, HIS peasant will no longer be able to attack
(because of the lag on Kali). After that first load of gold, build another
peasant and proceed as usual. You'll be building while he'll be jerking
around. I suppose he could attack your farm....

Anyway, when you get enough peasants, attack his peasant and he'll essentially
be out of the game.

--
Dan Zerkle zer...@cs.ucdavis.edu
GCS d(---)(!) p- c++ !l u++ e++(+++) m s++/-- !n h+(--) f g+++(-) w+ t+ r(-) y+

Michael Ford

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

> .....sleazy!!!,
> Last time I checked there were no rules in war. I believe you may be
> over reactting just a bit. When things like this happen my advice to
> you is to take a step away from your computer and tell yourself it's
> just a game, reconnect after this cheezy(not sleezy) move and play

> Andrew Heyes wrote:
> >
> > I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was
killed
> > by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...
> >
> > The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
> > when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman). He
goes and
> > stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As
> > soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange
got in the
> > first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold
> > left. Presumably orange then retreats and begins to build, leaving it
2 on 1.

Sounds like a good trick I will have to remember it. I know it feels bad
to lose, but that is going to happen once in awhile, and what you call a
sleazy trick seems like clever strategy to me. What hurt I imagine is that
YOU made the mistake of just standing there and fighting without realizing
it was hopeless (first blow all that rot) instead of going and getting the
one load of gold that would have turned the situation around. Play and
learn, or make up a bunch of special rules that everyone else in the game
agrees to (no barracks first, etc.).

We now have what maybe four or five early win strategies, that isn't too
many to get that worried about.

Steven Liu

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

: Heyes) wrote:
:
: > I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was killed
: > by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...
: >
[...]

This tactic only works on less than top speed. You can't get your Peon off
gold once it goes to mine. Slow speed players ALWAYS mine before building
the first Farm for this very reason.

: Or (payback is hell) you can send this second peon after his wounded one...

Except at bottom speed, this usually backfires because the rushing Peon also
mine before it goes on the assassination run. And his second Peon can see
your second Peon (before his first Peon dies), so he has the choice of
either ignore you, or charge for you, while you have to watch your Peon
very closely and guess what he does.

: Bubba Dave Pooser
: bub...@altinet.net

--
--Steve Internet: sl7...@u.cc.utah.edu
Web: http://www.cc.utah.edu/~sl7506/

"Gender affects how teenagers develop sexually, according to a new study."
--The Daily Utah Chronicle, 1-10-1997

Andrew Heyes

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

In article <mikeford-140...@uupool1.gordian.com> mike...@kaiwan.com (Michael Ford) writes:
>From: mike...@kaiwan.com (Michael Ford)
>Subject: Re: Real sleazy attack on low resources - Comments?
>Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 15:01:35 -0700

>> .....sleazy!!!,
>> Last time I checked there were no rules in war. I believe you may be
>> over reactting just a bit. When things like this happen my advice to
>> you is to take a step away from your computer and tell yourself it's
>> just a game, reconnect after this cheezy(not sleezy) move and play

>> Andrew Heyes wrote:
>> >
>> > I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was
>killed
>> > by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...
>> >
>> > The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
>> > when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman). He
>goes and
>> > stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As
>> > soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange
>got in the
>> > first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold
>> > left. Presumably orange then retreats and begins to build, leaving it
>2 on 1.

>Sounds like a good trick I will have to remember it. I know it feels bad

>to lose, but that is going to happen once in awhile, and what you call a
>sleazy trick seems like clever strategy to me. What hurt I imagine is that
>YOU made the mistake of just standing there and fighting without realizing
>it was hopeless (first blow all that rot) instead of going and getting the
>one load of gold that would have turned the situation around. Play and
>learn, or make up a bunch of special rules that everyone else in the game
>agrees to (no barracks first, etc.).

>We now have what maybe four or five early win strategies, that isn't too
>many to get that worried about.

Thanks for the comments, appreciate your views. Here's my comments on them:

1) I knew it was hopeless as soon as the first blow landed, so I did try to
get to the mine then. However, you don't make it there as your peasant stops
and starts fighting everytime he is hit. It may be due to the usual lag or
something but you cannot convince that peasant to get that gold. I imagine it
would be even worse when he gets the gold, as he moves slower.

2) There are rules that are taken for granted when playing on kahn or kali,
especially town hall first. I don't see much difference between building a
barracks first or sending down a peasant, who due to getting the first strike
will almost certainly kill the other peasant. If we play with the "no rules in
warcraft idea" then you will end up with people doing other cheezy things
like building only a lumber mill and then building a tower just out of sight
in your town. Hey, they can't build a town hall anymore but they've won the
game.

3) One of the other guys had the best idea so far i.e. collecting 100 gold
before starting the farm. I think I will try that in future, but I will have
to slow the game right down to allow me to stop my pesant mining gold (again.
lag problem).

I still think its sleazy, not cheezy, sleazy.

Rgds
Andrew
(LOBO on Kahn)

Schwarz Drachen

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

ahe...@csir.co.za (Andrew Heyes) wrote:

Well...if you are concerned about 'who gets the first hit' why don't
you start to run away from him...then turn around and attack
him(thereby getting the first hit that time(hopefully))

or just keep right clicking on the mine and your peasant won't stop to
fight..and when your peon comes out click on him and keep pressig G(I
think thats the letter to make him return with goods)

( ) ( )
|\^^/| Bis ans Ende... Schwarz Drachen |\^^/|
(@::@) Black Dragon -==(UDIC)==- (@::@)
\\// sch...@earthlink.net \\//
(oo) http://home.earthlink.net/~schwarz (oo)
'' ''

Jerome Lanig

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

Andrew Heyes wrote:

> The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
> when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman).
> He goes and
> stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As
> soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! I'll do that to my brother (he'd new at it).

What a laugh! That stratagy will only work once since you'll
know to get your gold before the farm, but I guess it'll only
have to work once. That was very a clever from your opponets.
It's kinda cheezy but effective.

I woulda loved to see your face when that happened.

jerome lanig
jer...@intur.net

mufungo

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

> Thanks for the comments, appreciate your views. Here's my comments on them:
>
> 1) I knew it was hopeless as soon as the first blow landed, so I did try to
> get to the mine then. However, you don't make it there as your peasant stops
> and starts fighting everytime he is hit. It may be due to the usual lag or
> something but you cannot convince that peasant to get that gold. I imagine it
> would be even worse when he gets the gold, as he moves slower.
>
> 2) There are rules that are taken for granted when playing on kahn or kali,
> especially town hall first. I don't see much difference between building a
> barracks first or sending down a peasant, who due to getting the first strike
> will almost certainly kill the other peasant. If we play with the "no
rules in
> warcraft idea" then you will end up with people doing other cheezy things
> like building only a lumber mill and then building a tower just out of sight
> in your town. Hey, they can't build a town hall anymore but they've won the
> game.
>
> 3) One of the other guys had the best idea so far i.e. collecting 100 gold
> before starting the farm. I think I will try that in future, but I will have
> to slow the game right down to allow me to stop my pesant mining gold (again.
> lag problem).
>
> I still think its sleazy, not cheezy, sleazy.
>

> Rgds
> Andrew
> (LOBO on Kahn)

This still falls under the addage of BOO HOO! Should we call you a
Whaaaambulance? You got beat by a cold blooded strategy, so what. You've
probably played the scenarios on the disk before and so you already know
that the objectives in some of the games are achieved not by playing in a
linear sense but by using strategy.

Sun Tzu- "You cannot be fought if you're not there."

"The secret of battle is knowing when not to fight."

--
Change for the machines?

Mutant

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:41:40 LOCAL, ahe...@csir.co.za (Andrew Heyes)
wrote:

>I was playing GOW on Kahn yesterday (low resources, 1 peasant) and was killed
>by what, in my opinion is a stupid sleazy trick, see if you agree...
>

>The game was two on two. I had finished my hall and my farm was being built
>when in comes orange's peasant (orange was a guy called Loohman). He goes and
>stands just below where your peasant comes out after building the farm. As

>soon as my peasant appears orange attacks him. Obviously, as orange got in the
>first hit for free, my peasant dies . Game over, as you only have 300 gold
>left. Presumably orange then retreats and begins to build, leaving it 2 on 1.
>

>So if you are listening Loohman, be prepared to be kicked out of any games I
>create and enjoy playing the rest by yourself because I (and most other
>players) won't play with cheap shot losers like you.

hmm.. this is an interesting problem, since it doesn't actually break
THF, but it is a pretty cheap trick... however, if you use the lumber
bug (click on lumber with your peasant before you build the town hall)
then you won't have to harvest lumber to build your first farm, and
should hopefully have another peasant going before anyone can get to
you... you'd have to be *very* unlucky otherwise, especially on GOW.
This is all assuming that you are playing version 1.2 or higher with
colour randomisation, otherwise then that sort of thing is easy to
do...
--
Mutant