Have your guilds 'branched out'?

phlip

Jan 24, 2006, 12:20:27 PM1/24/06
Curious...has anyone else's guild formed a branch of lvl 55+ to lend itself
more cred when recruiting 60 players for hi-lvl end-game instances, content,
etc? Our guild is in the process of trying this, with mixed results.
Officers are saying it's necessary due to 60's leaving to join raid guilds
vs being in a 'care bear' guild of lowbies, etc.

Anyone else have experience with this split in their guild? Has it worked?

Phlip

Hornet

Jan 24, 2006, 12:51:14 PM1/24/06
A guild with a dozen 60's and a bunch of lowbies is no worse off than a
guild with a dozen 60's and no lowbies. The lowbies are the future of
your raids, and people who level together have more loyalty than just
random folks coming and going. My .02: if the officers really wanted a
strong raid, heavily(over) recruit the classes you're short of in the
53-59 range, stop recruiting anyone under lvl 50 except friends, limit
members to 1 main+1 alt, and get a ZG group going ASAP.

Hope it works for them anyway.

Lehi

Jan 24, 2006, 1:06:06 PM1/24/06

I recently left a guild. The whole reason I joined was because we
were going to be doing MC a lot, and there was a "guild alliance" set
up for that. After about 2 weeks, the alliance broke up - I think
mainly due to peoples' disagreements over dkp, etc. A little bit
after that our 2 main leaders left the guild in favor of an
established MC raid guild. So I followed the example of our leaders,
and joined a semi-established MC raid guild.

I still have contact with my former temporary guild, and understand
they have "merged" somewhat with another guild. Apparently, their
lowbies are now in one of the guilds, and the highbies all migrated to
the other guild. I guess when they hit 60, or some set level, they
"graduate" to the other guild. But supposedly they are the same
guild, or at least act like one. I think they are still short on
having enough for a MC raid, but they are headed in the right
direction. This arrangement has been in place less than a month, but
it looks positive.

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue
Avocat - 53 Gnome Warlock

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 60 Troll Rogue

Percentage

Jan 25, 2006, 3:56:00 PM1/25/06

"phlip" <phil*nospam*m...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

What guild are you talking about?
One of the biggest guilds on the PVP Oceania server Tempest... put all there
under 55's in Tempest Lite
Most kinda like it. Helps with grouping and you don't get endgame talk (I'm
Sham lvl44)

Nathan Engle

Jan 24, 2006, 4:23:50 PM1/24/06

I've been in a situation where that was discussed, but it seems
to me that when the 55+ people all move over to the different
"branch" they might just as well have gone to a raiding guild
because once high level people in a guild convince themselves
that they're justified in leaving their low level friends to
fend for themselves, that's pretty much the death knell on
any assistance or association.

--
Nathan Engle Computer Support, IUB Psych Dept
nen...@indiana.edu http://php.indiana.edu/~nengle

David Carson

Jan 24, 2006, 4:58:39 PM1/24/06

The guild I was in en route to level 60 merged into another guild a
while after that, for reasons of having enough players for high-end
content. Three or four different guilds are all merged into my current
one, actually.

It has worked well.. none of it happened without fairly extensive
"feeling out" from both sides, and now we have a good bunch of people,
and numerous enough to raid totally in-house (like Lehi, we too used to
be in a raiding alliance and that too fell apart, although in our case
it was more over arguments as to who of the 50-60+ people who signed up
for a raid actually got to go).

Cheers!
David...

Jack Hollis

Jan 24, 2006, 8:12:55 PM1/24/06

My Guild split into 2 with all +55s in one and the rest in the other.
We had around 300 members so the old guild became a bit unmanagable.
When you get to 55 you're promoted in to the senior guild. There is a
/5 guild channel so the two guilds can talk to eachother. The +55
guild has done fine, but a lot of people dropped out of the low lvl
guild, which is basically now for alt characters. It started out with
about 200 charactes and there are about 125 left.

C F

Jan 25, 2006, 10:49:43 AM1/25/06
Right now my guild is facing this dilemma. A small group of lower levels
want to branch off but still be a part of the bigger guild. The reasoning
was so that they could all level at the same pace without bringing down the
rest of the guild till they caught up. To me, it brought to light a bigger
issue. It wasnt that they wanted to leave the guild persay, its that they
wanted help in completing there quests without asking for a L55+ for help.
So what WE have done is dusted off a few alts (lvl 30-40) and are helping
them with that. That way they get the XP for their level, they get the
quests done, and they know that we care and are not gonna dust them as we
progress

So for now, even tho its in discussion, we would rather stick as one guild.
Have a Officer -> player ratio and keep open communication.

Some people have said this worked for them, having two guilds, but IMO it
will lead to a split that will be permanent.

Just my 2 cents