Madden Sells 1.3 Million in 1 week

Dan S

Aug 19, 2004, 3:38:32 PM8/19/04
This post is going out to No One who claimed Madden's sales were poor
this year.

- This is the best launch week they have ever had
- It sold a half a million more copies then ESPN at $30 more.
- They estimate selling close to 5 million copies this year.

Now personally I don't care which game is better etc, I own both. I just
wanted to post something factual so that little whinny bitch could go
crawl in a hole.

A few links for him to choke on:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/08/19/ea_video_game_madden_tops_13_million_first_week/

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6566/Madden-2005-Biggest-First-Week-in-Franchise-History

Skye

Aug 19, 2004, 4:42:02 PM8/19/04
Uh ohhhhhhhhhh

"Dan S" <d...@work.com> wrote in message

Anita John

Aug 19, 2004, 5:03:38 PM8/19/04

"Skye" <carolina...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Uh ohhhhhhhhhh
>

> "Dan S" <d...@work.com> wrote in message
> > This post is going out to No One who claimed Madden's sales were poor
> > this year.
> >
> > - This is the best launch week they have ever had
> > - It sold a half a million more copies then ESPN at $30 more.
> > - They estimate selling close to 5 million copies this year.
> >
> > Now personally I don't care which game is better etc, I own both. I just
> > wanted to post something factual so that little whinny bitch could go
> > crawl in a hole.

People, generally, are sheep and only follow ... leaders try new things. I
tried the newest madden ... comparatively and frankly, it ain't worth the
$50 ... compared to the $20 price tag of ESPN.
Flame on ...

dementia

Aug 19, 2004, 5:07:14 PM8/19/04

"Dan S" <d...@work.com> wrote in message

So much for the ESPN $20 price causing a dent in Madden sales.
Looks like EA just keeps increasing the user base year after year.

dementia

Aug 19, 2004, 5:11:45 PM8/19/04

"Anita John" <bri...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

The CPU AI and overall gameplay in Madden is superior to ESPN and that's all
that matters.
ESPN is more eye candy and *IMHO* a lil more fun then Madden, but when I
want a serious game a football I fire up Madden.

Madden's franchise mode leaves ESPN's in the dust.

SINNER

Aug 19, 2004, 5:20:19 PM8/19/04
* dementia Wrote in alt.games.video.xbox:

> So much for the ESPN $20 price causing a dent in Madden sales.
> Looks like EA just keeps increasing the user base year after year.

I am not a big FB fan and dont own either however ESPN has a bad
reputation and they finally came out with a good product, EA on the
other hand has been doing it for a long time and has always had a good
rep or at least better then ESPN. Give ESPN a year or 2, now that they
are on the right track you may be surprised by next years offerings.

--
David

No One

Aug 19, 2004, 5:25:03 PM8/19/04
Most of those sales were due to pre-orders before the price cut of ESPN was
even announced.

The sell through numbers are very poor when you don't factor in the
countless pre-orders.

Keep in mind, The almost 800,000+ number for ESPN NFL 2k5 is based on sales
from only July 20 to July 30. By now it is far past the million mark.

No one said that ESPN would outsell Madden completely, as there are many
brain dead people out there and those that pre-ordered months ago. However,
ESPN is selling just as well, if not better than Madden, especially when you
take away all of the Madden pre-orders.

Great job, SEGA!

Dan S

Aug 19, 2004, 5:33:13 PM8/19/04
Anita John wrote:

> People, generally, are sheep and only follow ... leaders try new things. I
> tried the newest madden ... comparatively and frankly, it ain't worth the
> $50 ... compared to the $20 price tag of ESPN.
> Flame on ...

Umm jackass, the only reason I posted this is because your running buddy
No One claimed Madden's sales were poor last week, without any
supporting link, so I just had to correct him. But kudos to you for
going with the much overused "Quantity doesn't equal Quality" argument.

By the way we are all still waiting to hear where you played College
football.

No One

Aug 19, 2004, 5:35:06 PM8/19/04
Madden did not sell half a more million copies than ESPN. From pre-order to
release, yes, however ESPN's 800,000 number is from sales from July 20 to
July 30. What about sales from Aug 1 to Aug 30? I'd imagine both games are
neck and neck now, which is a huge victory for Sega and smaller companies in
general that wish to go up against EA's braindead fans.

EA likes to tout that NCAA 2005 was the #1 selling PS2 game in July, however
that game had an extra week of sales compared to ESPN, which came in at #2.
On the Xbox however, ESPN NFL 2k5 was the #1 game in July.

I'm sure Sega is pleased with selling just as many games as Madden, when
last year Sega barely broke the 100,000 mark.

There is a new game in town -- the best console football game ever created,
ESPN NFL 2k5. That much is obvious.

John Lemings

Aug 19, 2004, 5:36:09 PM8/19/04
Dan S wrote:

You know I don't think anyone truly believed that ESPN would outsell
Madden this year. Madden has an incredible loyal fanbase and that
fanbase continually supports EA's product.

With that being said, it is very good news for Sega that after
*horrible* sales for 2K4 last year, 2K5 has done *exceptionally* well
this time around. Pricing of course has a lot to do with it, but the
game has been improved and the excellent reviews have helped as well.
Is Sega happy that after a few short weeks that have moved over 700,000
copies of EPSN NFL 2K5? You bet. With both games doing so well that
can only mean good things for video gamers everywhere.

Skye

Aug 19, 2004, 5:51:17 PM8/19/04

"Anita John" <bri...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Skye" <carolina...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Uh ohhhhhhhhhh
> >

> > "Dan S" <d...@work.com> wrote in message
> > > This post is going out to No One who claimed Madden's sales were poor
> > > this year.
> > >
> > > - This is the best launch week they have ever had
> > > - It sold a half a million more copies then ESPN at $30 more.
> > > - They estimate selling close to 5 million copies this year.
> > >
> > > Now personally I don't care which game is better etc, I own both. I
just
> > > wanted to post something factual so that little whinny bitch could go
> > > crawl in a hole.
> > >

> People, generally, are sheep and only follow ... leaders try new things.

Football fans want the best AI and gameplay. And yet again, that's Madden.
Well worth the 50 bucks.

Cole Porter

Aug 19, 2004, 6:00:48 PM8/19/04
The Carolina Cretin wrote:

> Uh ohhhhhhhhhh

Whasamatter, big boy? Shit your pants again?

GridIronGhost

Aug 19, 2004, 6:04:24 PM8/19/04

No One <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

> Most of those sales were due to pre-orders before the price cut of ESPN
was
> even announced.

Which is the reason Sega panicked and rushed the game out.

> The sell through numbers are very poor when you don't factor in the
> countless pre-orders.

????????????????????????????????????????????

> Keep in mind, The almost 800,000+ number for ESPN NFL 2k5 is based on
sales
> from only July 20 to July 30. By now it is far past the million mark.

Keep in mind that those numbers are from pre-sales and sales up to date from
release date and that they include both xbox and PS2. The Madden sales are
PS2 only as xbox sales has not been included in the 1.3 million Madden
copies sold in the first week.

> No one said that ESPN would outsell Madden completely, as there are many
> brain dead people out there and those that pre-ordered months ago.

Yes I beleive your buddy called them sheep. I call them customers.

> ESPN is selling just as well, if not better than Madden, especially when
you
> take away all of the Madden pre-orders.

Take a look at Sega's history, they have been owned and bitch slapped by
just about everyone in the industry. Do you think retailers and consumers
can forget Sega's failures? Sega makes very GOOD games, but do you think
anyone will give them a second chance? Look at thier advertising, it's weak.
EA spends more in advertising then what Sega spent on ESPN Football 2K5
development.

> Great job, SEGA!

Indeed, great job Sega....just as expected.

dementia

Aug 19, 2004, 6:12:08 PM8/19/04

> Most of those sales were due to pre-orders before the price cut of ESPN
was
> even announced.
>
> The sell through numbers are very poor when you don't factor in the
> countless pre-orders.
>
> Keep in mind, The almost 800,000+ number for ESPN NFL 2k5 is based on
sales
> from only July 20 to July 30. By now it is far past the million mark.
>
> No one said that ESPN would outsell Madden completely, as there are many
> brain dead people out there and those that pre-ordered months ago.
However,
> ESPN is selling just as well, if not better than Madden, especially when
you
> take away all of the Madden pre-orders.

QUIT talking shit.
Eat some humble pie or supply a fucking link you zealot

Skye

Aug 19, 2004, 6:12:31 PM8/19/04
Last time I checked, a pre-order wasn't a guaranteed sale. You can still get
your money back. So it means people saw ESPN at 20 bucks, and still
unanimously said, "Madden is the best option, regardless of the price
difference, because gameplay matters."

Skye

"GridIronGhost" <GridIr...@hotmale.com> wrote in message

dementia

Aug 19, 2004, 6:14:03 PM8/19/04

"No One" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ginger
LINK!?

dementia

Aug 19, 2004, 6:16:28 PM8/19/04

"John Lemings" <lm...@cableaz.com> wrote in message

> Dan S wrote:
>
> > This post is going out to No One who claimed Madden's sales were poor
> > this year.
> >
> > - This is the best launch week they have ever had
> > - It sold a half a million more copies then ESPN at $30 more.
> > - They estimate selling close to 5 million copies this year.
> >
> > Now personally I don't care which game is better etc, I own both. I just
> > wanted to post something factual so that little whinny bitch could go
> > crawl in a hole.
> >
> > A few links for him to choke on:

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/08/19/ea_video_game_madden_tops_13_million_first_week/

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/6566/Madden-2005-Biggest-First-Week-in-Franchise-History

> You know I don't think anyone truly believed that ESPN would outsell
> Madden this year. Madden has an incredible loyal fanbase and that
> fanbase continually supports EA's product.
>
> With that being said, it is very good news for Sega that after
> *horrible* sales for 2K4 last year, 2K5 has done *exceptionally* well
> this time around. Pricing of course has a lot to do with it, but the
> game has been improved and the excellent reviews have helped as well.
> Is Sega happy that after a few short weeks that have moved over 700,000
> copies of EPSN NFL 2K5? You bet. With both games doing so well that
> can only mean good things for video gamers everywhere.

Graphics and presentation ESPN is second to none but VC/Sega has a long way
to go with the AI.

John Lemings

Aug 19, 2004, 6:25:56 PM8/19/04
Skye wrote:

> Last time I checked, a pre-order wasn't a guaranteed sale. You can still get
> your money back. So it means people saw ESPN at 20 bucks, and still
> unanimously said, "Madden is the best option, regardless of the price
> difference, because gameplay matters."

Um, is that a direct quote from the mind of *each* and *every* customer
who pre-ordered Madden? :)

Kyle Roberts

Aug 19, 2004, 7:22:17 PM8/19/04

"GridIronGhost" <GridIr...@hotmale.com> wrote in message

> No One <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Most of those sales were due to pre-orders before the price cut of ESPN
> was
> > even announced.
>
> Which is the reason Sega panicked and rushed the game out.
>
> > The sell through numbers are very poor when you don't factor in the
> > countless pre-orders.
>
> ????????????????????????????????????????????
>
> > Keep in mind, The almost 800,000+ number for ESPN NFL 2k5 is based on
> sales
> > from only July 20 to July 30. By now it is far past the million mark.
>
> Keep in mind that those numbers are from pre-sales and sales up to date
from
> release date and that they include both xbox and PS2. The Madden sales are
> PS2 only as xbox sales has not been included in the 1.3 million Madden
> copies sold in the first week.

The 1.3 million number is cross platform.

Kyle

Scott H

Aug 19, 2004, 7:52:45 PM8/19/04

"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message

I've got a question for you. If EA's been selling so many more copies
of Madden all these years, and Sega has been selling comparatively few,
shouldn't the EA game be that many times better as well? Who had more sheer
profit from their game sales, and who spent more working on improving their
game? This is evident in the documented changes from each year, and also
keep in mind that NFL2K was online, successfully I might add, way back in
2000.
EA's financial success with their franchises certainly isn't going into
their games. At least Sammy is going to use its pachinko sales to fund game
efforts, rather than just lining the company's bottom line. Meanwhile EA's
cash cows are doing what for gaming exactly?

Omarichu

Aug 19, 2004, 8:21:53 PM8/19/04
>People,

Shut up and fuck off, Angry.

dementia

Aug 19, 2004, 8:39:58 PM8/19/04

"Scott H" <sheat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

What did Sega (or should I say, VC) improve upon with ESPN?
Graphics and presentation, nothing else.
This years ESPN has more AI flaws then last years version.
ESPN is a blast to play but I strongly prefer EA's AI over ESPN and I have
played ESPN 2K5 10 times more than Madden 2005. What do you want EA to
improve upon, graphics? I would agree.
Their (EA's) AI is already second to none and that's far more important to
graphical upgrades.
Maybe if VC/Sega didn't rush ESPN out so fast maybe it would've been better.
IMTHO, both ESPN and Madden are way overated.
EA needs to upgrade their graphics and presentation and ESPN needs to have
everything else upgraded.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo

Aug 19, 2004, 8:59:15 PM8/19/04
In article <Ji7Vc.13122$Ms4....@fe15.usenetserver.com>, d...@work.com says...
Spin it baby! The fact that your here posting this shows ESPN is making a dent
in something.....your ego! Both are good games and both are selling well. Get
over it already.

Mattinglyfan

Aug 19, 2004, 10:33:41 PM8/19/04

"Scott H" <sheat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Do you even know what you are talking about? Do you know how many different
franchinses EA has? The success of their football title is what has allowed
them to make the Need For Speeds and the LOTR games. I don't know what
great innovation people are expecting from these games because it just isn't
really possible. The NFL2k game that you are talking about is not VASTLY
different from the current offering. There is only so much developers can
do over a certain period of time. Extra money doesn't mean anything. Even
new ideas don't mean that a company would be able to implement them in a
game. Every year, the message boards are chocked full of "there should
be...." and " why isn't there...." Just because it can come to someone's
mind doesn't mean it can be carried out.

The other thing that strikes me as odd is how many people say "Madden is the
same game as it was.... years ago." Well to the non-moron, we see that
....... years ago, it sold millions of copies. As did it the following year
and so on. So what idiot would completely change the most successful sports
franchise in video gaming. We aren't even talking about "If it ain't broke
don't fix it" but rather "In order to be the king, you have to beat the
king". Most of the people who talk about Madden haven't even played in the
last 3 or 4 years so while it is essentially the same game, those of us who
have been playing can definitely tell the difference.

Spiff

Aug 19, 2004, 11:14:18 PM8/19/04
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:33:41 -0600, "Mattinglyfan"
<Estosca...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Do you even know what you are talking about? Do you know how many different
>franchinses EA has? The success of their football title is what has allowed
>them to make the Need For Speeds and the LOTR games. I don't know what

<snip>

for gods sake Mattingly...quit taking the bait....
8)

Spiff

massivegrooves

Aug 19, 2004, 11:49:18 PM8/19/04

No One wrote:
> Most of those sales were due to pre-orders before the price cut of ESPN was
> even announced.
>
> The sell through numbers are very poor when you don't factor in the
> countless pre-orders.

You just get dumber and dumber. WTF does pre-orders have to do with
anything? Answer, NOTHING!! Yes Madden had high pre-orders, but if
people bought ESPN before Madden came out and played it and it changed
thier minds then they could easily cancel thier pre-orders. Likely a few
did here and there, have heard some people say that and actually know
someone that did this. But the pre-order thing don't mean shit dude!!
And there are also countless people out there that have or will buy both
this year, and ones that do this every year regardless of the price drop.

ESPN is a good game, I am enjoying it very much this year and I don't
own or plan to own Madden this year (due to being bored and burned out
with it-played it since the start) but this kind of stuff you keep
spewing is just beyond ignorant. ESPN will likely increase their
fan/user base from doing the $20 thing this year, but Madden will be
king for sometime to come...it would/will likely take several years and
some unforseen slip ups by the Madden developers to see any drastic
change in its dominance. Madden name is FAR too strong and recognizable,
as is the EA name as well plus it is just a solid game.

massivegrooves

Aug 19, 2004, 11:58:02 PM8/19/04

That to me is a HUGE factor. Sega just doesn't or can't spend the kind
of money that EA does to advertise its products. ESPN 2k5 has one
commercial and it is really not that great...decent but it could be MUCH
better. Madden I have seen at least 2 different commercials for it
already, and they always are better than what Sega puts out there.
Likely need at least 3 variations of commercials IMO for a game like
this to run throughout the football season, and in ESPN's case a REALLY
solid one that really grabs you and makes you want to "play this game."
This aspect is one that is helping to hold back Sega and the ESPN games
IMO...

Phil

Aug 20, 2004, 12:24:43 AM8/20/04
"Anita John" <bri...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<KA8Vc.2984$2L3....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

The concept of spending would depend on how important having what one
detrmines to be the best football game is to them. As someone who
actually knows football and wants the best. Along with footbal games
are among the most important games of the year, I didn't mind paying
$50 for Madden at all.

Jeremy Reaban

Aug 20, 2004, 12:47:26 AM8/20/04
Scott H wrote:
<snip>

> EA's financial success with their franchises certainly isn't
> going into their games. At least Sammy is going to use its pachinko
> sales to fund game efforts, rather than just lining the company's
> bottom line. Meanwhile EA's cash cows are doing what for gaming
> exactly?

Advertising, I think. And possibly bribing journalists.

While I think Madden is better than ESPN (though not $30 better), look
at reviews of two upcoming street racing games, Street Racing
Syndicate and Juiced.

The press has hammered SRS for being a Need for Speed: Underground
clone (and not as good as the original), despite having several
features that NFS:U didn't have, and overlooking the fact that Genki
has been making streetracing games since the SNES, so NFS:U is hardly
original.

Not just major stuff. NFS:U was a really lousy game. It ran like crap
on the Xbox, you could only have one car, it had linear gameplay, it
had lousy physics (no damage, very arcadey, you'd jump drawbridges and
trains and go 100 feet in the air). And don't get me started on the
AI - it has rubber-band AI - no matter how good or bad you drove, the
AI did the same. So winning was a matter of luck. I've got the PC
version, and a cheat that lets me use the nitrous as much as I want.
Despite this, I still only finish ahead of the AI by 1 or 2 seconds.
Even on straight aways.

SRS has none of those problems. But every review I've read compares it
to NFS:U and says it's nothing new. But they are basically just lying
through their teeth.

Rob Berryhill

Aug 20, 2004, 1:19:06 AM8/20/04
In article <Ji7Vc.13122$Ms4....@fe15.usenetserver.com>, d...@work.com
says...
> This post is going out to No One who claimed Madden's sales were poor
> this year.
>
> - This is the best launch week they have ever had
> - It sold a half a million more copies then ESPN at $30 more.

One clarification here. They've sold 500,000 more copies in ONE week
than ESPN has in FOUR weeks.

Not that I really care, but I hate shit-heads like No One running around
making false statements as if they were fact.

--
Rob Berryhill

No One

Aug 20, 2004, 2:21:19 AM8/20/04
Sorry, Madden does not have the best AI and Gameplay. If you like a slooooow
game, with poor control, then Madden is your game.

I've had the most competitive games ever using ESPN's sliders, you can
adjust the difficulty to your liking.

Madden is just... old and slow. ESPN is the champ this year, making a huge
dent in Madden's sales and perception. Look for even stronger ESPN 2k5 sales
in the coming months... sales are way over a million now.

"Skye" <carolina...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

No One

Aug 20, 2004, 2:24:12 AM8/20/04
What makes Madden's AI so great? Because defenders can back peddle? To me,
Madden's AI is the worst, due to extremely poor CPU running on any level and
a poor passing game. Add to that extremely slow, unresponsive control,
terrible graphics, even worse commentary, and you've got a bad game. People
buy it because it's a ritual, not because it's good.

"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message

No One

Aug 20, 2004, 2:25:20 AM8/20/04
ESPN has not released any sales numbers after July 30.

Their 800,000 number is from July 20 to July 30, that's it.

We don't know how many copies have been sold since August 1st.

"Rob Berryhill" <Rob_Be...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

No One

Aug 20, 2004, 2:29:08 AM8/20/04
More like, I pre-ordered Madden months ago, I've never heard of this ESPN
game... and since I own a Playstation 2, the most mainstream system ever, I
have no idea about all the great games that aren't made by EA or Square.

Lemmings will surely but surely come around. The $20 pricetag helps... but
ESPN being the greatest console football game ever created helps more.
People will always buy Coke, but that doesn't mean there aren't tons of
people buying Pepsi.

ESPN has sold well over a million copies, and is Sega's biggest selling game
in the US in several years.

"John Lemings" <lm...@cableaz.com> wrote in message

Omarichu

Aug 20, 2004, 2:42:39 AM8/20/04
>More like, I pre-ordered Madden months ago, I've never heard of this ESPN
>game... and since I own a Playstation 2, the most mainstream system ever, I
>have no idea about all the great games that aren't made by EA or Square.

You probably would've done alot better for yourself if you hadn't posted in
this thread at all. Before, your hysteria over EA again destroying Sega was
only guessed at. Now, it's cemented in stone. Continue losing, dipshit.

dementia

Aug 20, 2004, 7:25:13 AM8/20/04

"No One" <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

I don't and wont read a thing you have to say in reply to me until you
provide a link to back your claims in ESPN's numbers. Looks like Madden
*has* already passed ESPN's sales figures and it has only been out a week
where ESPN has been out a month @ $19.99 and cheaper! I think the masses
greatly disagree with you on what they feel the better football game is.

dementia

Aug 20, 2004, 7:29:57 AM8/20/04

"Jeremy Reaban" <j...@connectria.com> wrote in message

I don't agree with your rubberband AI comments even a lil bit.
I crushed the CPU cars in NFSUG.
The only time it was competitive was near the end of the game.

dementia

Aug 20, 2004, 7:31:04 AM8/20/04

"Rob Berryhill" <Rob_Be...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

All No One does is make false statements and he never supplies a link to
back them up, even when he is asked for one

Scott H

Aug 20, 2004, 9:07:21 AM8/20/04

"Mattinglyfan" <Estosca...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Scott H" <sheat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

My point was to ask why Madden isn't better than NFL2K when it's
outselling it by such a large margin. Why is Madden so overwhelmingly more
popular when NFL2K has been the innovator just as often, if not more often,
especially in the AI and physics, and online department? The reason, I
think, is simply that fans don't want a better or newer game, they just want
more of the same. Why millions of "gamers" will pay $50 each year for
slight tweaks on the same game, and a new roster (which ought to be
downloadable in previous versions) is beyond me.

Madden '99
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/sports/maddennfl99/review.html

" The AI of the computer-controlled players has dramatically improved over
last year's Madden. When the computer is on defense, the way that it covers
the play is very natural, and in turn, more realistic. Cornerbacks no longer
look like they are simply running preset paths next to your receiver, but
instead act as though they are aware of not only the man they are covering
but the other receivers as well. This is demonstrated when you perform a
pump-fake or a fake handoff, and the defense falls for it. The AI will
recognize your patterns fairly quickly, though, and won't let you get away
with too much. "

" The control feels typical of Madden football games, with one exception;
the game has a new gameplay feature called one-button mode. "

NFL2K
http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/sports/nfl2k/review.html

" For anyone who hasn't actually seen the game on a TV right in front of
them, the screenshots look too good to be true. In fact, when you see NFL 2K
for the first time right in front of you, they still looks too good to be
true. Even when you have the controller in your hands and you're playing the
game, you still shake your head in disbelief play after play. That's how
good NFL 2K looks, plays, and sounds. "

" Any die-hard football video-game fan knows that a football game's
graphics, features, and extras only go so far. When it comes down to it, a
game is totally about the control and AI. NFL 2K delivers both, with precise
analog control and an easy, intuitive button layout. It really lets you play
the game of football instead of worrying about complex controller and button
combinations. "

" The controls are great. The analog stick lets you move players where you
want, when you want, and at the speed you want. It's so awesome when you
barely press on the stick before a play and see your linebacker creep up
toward the line just a little bit and then bust into a full sprint as you
press the stick all the way just as the ball is snapped. Aside from the
precise movements of the players, you can also pass the ball precisely where
you want it by using what the game calls Maximum Passing. "

" This Maximum Passing feature isn't necessary for you to play, but the
level of control that it allows you to have is so great that once you get
used to it you'll realize it's the only way to play. "

" NFL 2K has an unbalanced set of teams that accurately depicts the action
in the NFL in that some teams can pass, run, and defend better than others.
Some teams allow you can air the ball up against them and they won't be able
to do anything, while other teams have great cornerbacks that will intercept
the ball or break up passes nearly every time you go to the air...... "

Madden 2000
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/sports/maddennfl2000/review.html

" Madden NFL 2000 features the usual array of game modes, like exhibition,
season, franchise, create-a-player, and so on, and it includes the full NFL
license with all the teams and players. EA beefed up the franchise mode by
allowing you to play up to thirty consecutive seasons with statistical
tracking for your dynasty. Along with statistics this year are fluctuating
player attributes that allow players to have hot and cold streaks. A player
in a slump will fumble the ball more often than someone who's in the zone
and catching everything you throw at him. This little feature really makes
you pay close attention - if one of your guys is going through a rough time,
you'll know to avoid giving him the ball. In addition to these extras Madden
NFL 2000 has three really big new features - a play editor, arcade mode, and
the Madden Challenge. "

" The play editor is rather nifty; it lets you create your own plays by
assigning each player his own route and/ or command. ..... The Madden
Challenge feature is by far the best new thing about the series. The Madden
Challenge is just that - a bunch of specific objectives that are outlined
for you. "

" In terms of gameplay, M2K feels pretty much the way a Madden football game
should, although with a distinctly tighter feel this year. The controls are
extremely responsive and match up with the game's onscreen visuals quite
well. The analog stick really lets you put your player right where you want
him, when you want him there.The AI of the computer is actually quite easy
on the regular setting, although for us Madden veterans, if you crank the
difficulty up, the AI kicks in and plays a bit more aggressively. The
receivers and cornerbacks play the ball well and really make you battle to
get a hand on the ball, whether you're playing defense or offense. The
running game of the computer is strong, although every once in a great while
the running back will get stuck behind one of his own guys. While this is
annoying it is literally one of the only flaws in the game, and it happens
very rarely. "

NFL2K1 (Online)
http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/sports/nfl2k1/review.html

"... Visual Concepts, the developer of the game, realized this as well, and
the team has improved everything it possibly could in an attempt to correct
this. We played NFL 2K1 for a considerable amount of time, and the results
of Visual Concepts' work over the past year are clearly evident. The game is
a much more refined, balanced, and complete version of the first game and is
not only amazing for its online gameplay capabilities but also for its
improved running game and greater overall depth. "

" The most obvious change is the addition of online play. NFL 2K1's network
options make it possible to play with or against other players over the
Internet, as well as download team roster updates throughout the season -
all you need is an active phone line and a service provider. "

" The new franchise mode lets you take a team through multiple seasons and
lets you deal with tons of managerial tasks such as drafting players,
releasing players, and signing players. You even have to take into account a
player's age when signing him, since some players retire at the end of a
season. The franchise mode adds a new depth to the series, which will
undoubtedly keep you playing NFL 2K1 for a long time to come. "

" While the additions of the franchise mode and Internet-play capability are
huge, fans of the first game will find the subtle control and AI
improvements to be just as important. "

" In the end, NFL 2K1 is a deeper, more refined version of the original
game. The vastly improved running game makes all the difference in the
world, since now you can truly mount an offensive attack that consists of a
true-to-life air-and-ground assault. ... The addition of the online gameplay
feature and franchise mode is more than enough reason for you to upgrade to
NFL 2K1. "

Madden 2001
http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/sports/nfl2k1/index.html

"The game has more features and options than any other Madden game before.
It includes all of the fundamental options, like exhibition and season
modes, and all of the in-depth options, like franchise, create-a-player, and
Madden challenges. The Madden challenges have a bit more to them this year,
since the completion of each one earns you tokens, which you can use like
money in the game. You can purchase special items like cheats, secret
players, and teams. You can even use the tokens, with the help of a couple
of memory cards, as currency to wager with when challenging another player.
The Madden challenge cards, which are displayed when you buy items, were
made in conjunction with Upper Deck and look like really cool digital
trading cards. They add a whole new incentive for playing the game and
completing the Madden challenges. "

" The control in Madden 2001 is pretty much just like any that of any other
Madden game, although some will find the overall feel of the game a bit too
slow and unresponsive. "

" The game uses a momentum-based physics engine, which is supposed to make
the gameplay all the more real. The only problem is that it plays a bit too
real - players have to literally stop their momentum when making a change in
the direction they're running, just like in real life. This, while
physically correct, just doesn't translate into fast-paced, hard-hitting
football action. Instead, it causes the reaction time of a controller
command to be a tad too slow, leaving the game feeling a bit sluggish. In
time, you do learn to accommodate for this, and the effect isn't nearly so
bad. "

" The AI of the game will surely to seem familiar to fans of the series,
particularly those who've played this year's PlayStation version. The AI's
easiest setting will let you get away with a lot and teaches you early on
that the game is all about knowing your team's plays and your players'
abilities. Knowing which players to go to will help you blow the doors off
the computer on the lower skill settings, but once you start to move up,
you'd better have more than just a few tricks up your sleeve. "

(That just takes the cake right there, the AI is the same as the Playstation
version, I can't think of a better example of lazyness)

NFL2k2 (Online) (but seemed to drop the ball)
http://www.gamespot.com/dreamcast/sports/nfl2k2/review.html

"Fans of NFL 2K1 know that the game was an almost perfect game of football
that was marred by a couple of unstoppable money plays. The NFL 2K1 online
community at its peak agreed that if it weren't for the money plays that
caused almost every online game to be a simple contest of halfback tosses
and quick out passes that the game would, in fact, be perfect. Many hoped
that NFL 2K2 would be that perfect football game, and while those two
particular money plays have been deprecated, NFL 2K2 really isn't that much
of an improvement upon last year's offering. "

" When you get right down to it, there are two big differences between the
way NFL 2K1 and NFL 2K2 play, and one is that the money plays from last
year's game are gone. Unfortunately, the second is that the running game in
NFL 2K2 has been tweaked to the point that it's nearly impossible for the
computer AI to stop your ground attack. Running backs can simply blast
through or around the defensive line, thanks to a new tripping/bumping
mechanic that literally lets ball carriers trip and bump their way right by
defenders. The mechanic is really more of a simple animation, but it's
extremely effective nevertheless. The only way a defender can really put the
ball carrier down is to really square off and deliver a solid tackle. There
still are, of course, shoestring tackles and such--it's just that as a
whole, it's much easier to get five or six yards on almost every running
play when playing against the computer. The one thing that's extremely
important to note is that the effects of this new tripping/bumping animation
aren't nearly as noticeable in an online or multiplayer game. Against the
computer on the default difficulty setting, you can call a running play
every single time with just about any team and end up destroying the
computer. "

" The overall responsiveness and control of NFL 2K2 hasn't really changed
that much. The game is just as fast, responsive, and as much fun to play as
the first two games. The only real gameplay element that feels different is
that the maximum passing--which lets you lead, underthrow, and overthrow
receivers when you're quarterbacking--is a bit less forgiving this time
around. Pushing the analog stick all the way to the right and throwing the
ball to a receiver will result in a wide right pass that can't be caught. It
takes some time to get a feel for the passing game, which requires a bit
more finesse than before. "

" In the end, fans of the NFL 2K series will undoubtedly find that it's hard
not to like NFL 2K2. But it's really a tale of two games. The computer's
inability to stop repeated running plays is fairly frustrating, especially
if you have played the first two games and were looking for a new
single-player challenge. But if you're looking to get back online and
challenge people from all over the country or just your friends sitting
across the room, NFL 2K2 is better than last year's game. "

Madden 2002
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/maddennfl2002/review.html

" While it shouldn't come as a surprise that Madden 2002 is simply a
beefed-up, slightly refined version of the first PlayStation 2 Madden title,
it is a bit disappointing. Even still, the game manages to one-up last
year's Madden in most categories. Madden 2002 includes a good list of new
features and options, as well as some slight but noticeable visual
improvements. "

" In the gameplay department, Madden 2002 plays almost identically to last
year's title. The game still features a momentum-based physics system that
accounts for the weight and speed of the player when determining how fast he
can change direction when running. This system makes Madden 2002 feel a
little unresponsive at first, but it quickly becomes second nature. The AI
is very solid, and the inclusion of an AI adjustment scale--which allows you
to adjust the AI of certain aspects of the computer's game, such as
receiving, running, run blocking, and so on--just makes it that much better.
"

" Once everything is accounted for, Madden 2002 is fundamentally the same
game as last year's title. "

NFL2k3
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/maddennfl2003/review.html

" Whether you're a hard-core football fan or a casual follower of the sport,
you'll find that NFL 2K3 delivers nearly every aspect of professional
football flawlessly. The game offers several different modes to choose from,
including a revamped franchise mode and the Sega Sports challenge, which
allows you to have your stats ranked against those of other players from
across the country. Aside from a few very minor gripes, the gameplay is also
incredibly balanced, and the introduction of the ESPN license gives the game
a better overall presentation and feel. "

" Perhaps one of the more intriguing options is the situation mode, which
lets you edit everything from the score and the amount of time left on the
clock to the line of scrimmage. So, for example, you could set up a game so
it starts in the fourth quarter with two minutes remaining, and your team
has the ball but it's losing by six points. You can create just about any
scenario with this feature, and it can present quite a challenge for even
veteran players, but if you're looking for something with a little more
depth, then you'll find it in NFL 2K3's season mode. "

" The running game in NFL 2K3 is excellent, and the running backs are easy
to control and have a nice assortment of moves, including jukes and
stiff-arms. In addition, when you're running the ball through the line, your
running back will turn his torso slightly so he can slip past his blockers
and the defensive line, which almost solves the problem of not being able to
get by the linemen in most previous football games. Similarly, if a defender
or a member of your team falls to the ground, your running back can leap
over him and pick up a few additional yards. The run blocking is also
excellent, as the fullback and guards will almost always pick up the
linebackers or any linemen who happen to break through the line. "

" Passing the ball in NFL 2K3 can be difficult at first because of the
excellent defensive back AI, but you'll start to adjust once you learn how
to read defenses and get the timing down. In fact, timing is a crucial
aspect when the defense is playing zone, as you have to throw the ball when
the defensive backs are switching up coverage. "

" The only annoying aspect about the passing game (and perhaps NFL 2K3's
biggest problem) is the defensive backs' propensity to time tackles
perfectly so your receiver can't hold on to the ball--just when you think
you have a completion, a safety will come running in and hit the receiver
the second the ball makes contact with his hands. Of course, this encourages
you to look for receivers who are a little more open, but it happens so
frequently that it seems a little unfair at times. "

Madden 2003 (Online) <Finally>
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/maddennfl2003/review.html

" If you're relatively knowledgeable about the sport of professional
football, then you'll want to check out some of the customizable options,
namely the playbook editor, before jumping into a game. Like with most other
playbook editors, you can scour various playbooks from coaches around the
league and pick plays that you'd like to add to your own repertoire, but
this option also gives you the ability to create your own unique formation,
and from that you can create an entirely new play. "

" The defensive play editor is almost identical--it lets you make your own
formations and place defensive players just about anywhere on the grid.
Other editable options include the ability to make your own team and players
and to adjust rosters before starting the game. "

" The practice, situation, and two-minute drills are also helpful for
brushing up on your skills and getting to learn the different elements of
Madden NFL 2003's gameplay, which is still based on the momentum system seen
in previous games in the series. Essentially, if you're holding down the
turbo button, the player has more speed but less maneuverability, which
makes basic cuts a little more difficult to execute. However, this isn't a
huge issue since you can ease off the turbo to make a sharp cut, or you can
use a juke maneuver, but Madden NFL 2003's biggest problem is somewhat
related. "

" While the running game is pretty solid overall, it does have a few
lingering problems, the most apparent of which is line blocking, or the lack
thereof. Even with a high-powered offense, it seems like your offensive line
is rarely capable of clearing a large enough hole in the defensive line that
you can run through and not collide with any of your teammates. "

" For the most part, the passing game is really good. .... The only
noticeable problem with the passing game is that the out passing route
(where a receiver makes a sudden cut to the sideline) is still a little too
reliable for getting those 6 or 7 yards in a pinch. "

" But the defensive AI has been improved, so it's not quite as bad as in
previous Madden games. "

" Madden 2003 for the PlayStation 2 has online play, a robust franchise
mode, and plenty of secondary modes to keep you busy, but the minor issues
with the running and passing game really prevent it from being the absolute
best representation of professional football that's available. "

ESPN Football (NFL2k4) (Online) <again>
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/nfl2k4/review-3.html

" While Madden is the most realistic-playing football game on the market,
ESPN NFL Football is simply the most exciting football game on the planet.
You're not only forced to think strategically when picking plays, like
Madden, but you also pay or reap the rewards of actually making the right
cut when running. You're the hero when throwing the ball with just enough
push on the analog stick to lead your receiver so that he catches the pass
in-stride and continues downfield for a touchdown. Every play that goes your
way happens because you make it. ESPN NFL Football's responsive controls
simply give precedence to the action and the skill of the player rather than
to the animation or the will of the AI. "

" The advanced passing mode, called maximum passing, gives you a much
greater degree of control over the placement of the pass by tying the
direction of the pass to the left analog stick. It still works like the
basic icon passing mode, in that you press the corresponding button to the
receiver you want the ball to go to, but it lets you lead, overthrow, and
underthrow your receiver by simply nudging the left analog stick in the
direction you'd like the ball to go. "

" This year the game's running and tackling has become more realistic in the
sense that receivers who catch a pass in-stride are now rarely caught by
defenders who are lagging a couple of steps behind. "

" The AI balance of the computer-controlled teams is very well-done and is
extremely representative of the actual preferences and tendencies used by
individual teams. "

" With ESPN NFL Football's online capabilities, you can simply skip the
process of tweaking artificial intelligence all together by competing
against human opponents. "

Madden 2004
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/madden2004/review.html

" It's not an easy task for a development team to make enough improvements
to a yearly sports game series to warrant a purchase every year. However, EA
Sports has not only managed to add enough features and gameplay tweaks to
make Madden NFL 2004 a more than worthy purchase for those who bought last
year's game, but it has also created one of best football games to
date--especially in the case of the PS2 version, which is the only console
version featuring online play. "

" A perfect example of this is the playmaker control feature. While it
initially seems like nothing more than a quick audible option, playmaker
control is actually much more than that. Before the snap of the ball, if you
don't like what you're seeing on defensive side of the ball, you can adjust
the offensive play to compensate without calling an audible. "

" Similarly, after the ball's been snapped, you can direct teammates on the
field to block opposing players in front of the ballcarrier by pressing the
right analog stick in the appropriate direction. There's a little bit of
risk involved in doing this, since its effectiveness depends on the speed of
the teammate running over to block. "

" When using it on a passing play before the snap, playmaker control can
quickly change the route of a receiver if there appears to be a gap in the
secondary. "

" Defensively, the playmaker mechanic isn't quite as prominent. Essentially,
if you see a key receiver lining up one-on-one with a cornerback that you
don't have too much confidence in, then playmaker can be used to shift your
coverage over to that side, making it a little more difficult for the
receiver to get open. "

" The fundamental gameplay mechanics in Madden NFL 2004 have also been
slightly tweaked. Like in NCAA Football 2004, play-action passing plays are
much more effective against opponents, especially those controlled by human
players, since the camera briefly follows the running back--making it seem
as though it's actually a running play--before panning back to the
quarterback. "

" The running game in general feels much better, ... in other words,
getting stuck behind the ample posterior of an offensive lineman is much
less of a problem than it was in the previous game. "

" With all these slight refinements and changes, even blitzing seems to have
much greater risks and rewards. "

"All these changes are great, but perhaps one of the biggest single reasons
to buy Madden NFL 2004 is the owner mode, which is directly tied to the
game's franchise mode. The owner mode gives you an entirely new perspective
on the sport by portraying it as a business where you have to do everything
in your power to ensure not only that the fans are happy, but also that
you're making enough money to support the team and the stadium."

" If you don't feel like dealing with the business side of the NFL,
you can simply turn the owner mode off and the game will automatically
change to a more standard franchise mode. However, there are some slight
differences from last year's franchise mode. "

" All the other modes in Madden NFL 2004 are pretty much the same as
in last year's game. "

" The graphics haven't been changed all that much either, but the game
still looks great. "

" The PlayStation 2 version of Madden NFL 2004 is the only one that
supports online play. "

> The other thing that strikes me as odd is how many people say "Madden is
the
> same game as it was.... years ago." Well to the non-moron, we see that
> ....... years ago, it sold millions of copies. As did it the following
year
> and so on. So what idiot would completely change the most successful
sports
> franchise in video gaming. We aren't even talking about "If it ain't
broke
> don't fix it" but rather "In order to be the king, you have to beat the
> king". Most of the people who talk about Madden haven't even played in
the
> last 3 or 4 years so while it is essentially the same game, those of us
who
> have been playing can definitely tell the difference.

There are differences, in both NFL2K and Madden, but which company has
the greater amount of profit, and therefore the greater amount of ability to
improve on their game? Neither game is anywhere near perfect, especially in
AI and physics, these two areas alone could be improved upon greatly, and EA
has had by far the greatest opportunity to do so and has chosen not to. The
amount of money EA is making on this franchise alone would allow for a brand
new graphics, physics and AI engine every year, and they'd still have cash
to spare. *That* would justify the huge gap in popularity. Instead, just
like Gran Turismo, we have a bunch of fans that want that familiar feeling,
not innovation. I'm not sure which is worse, the fans for being that way,
or EA for feeding them. When new hardware comes out they'll get around to a
significantly improved gameplay experience, but that experience could be
getting refined today on the current hardware.

b.gif

Scott H

Aug 20, 2004, 9:09:52 AM8/20/04

"Jeremy Reaban" <j...@connectria.com> wrote in message
> Scott H wrote:
> <snip>
> > EA's financial success with their franchises certainly isn't
> > going into their games. At least Sammy is going to use its pachinko
> > sales to fund game efforts, rather than just lining the company's
> > bottom line. Meanwhile EA's cash cows are doing what for gaming
> > exactly?
>
> Advertising, I think. And possibly bribing journalists.

Definitely bribing journalists. Reviews read more like advertisements today
than anything else.

> While I think Madden is better than ESPN (though not $30 better), look
> at reviews of two upcoming street racing games, Street Racing
> Syndicate and Juiced.

> The press has hammered SRS for being a Need for Speed: Underground
> clone (and not as good as the original), despite having several
> features that NFS:U didn't have, and overlooking the fact that Genki
> has been making streetracing games since the SNES, so NFS:U is hardly
> original.

The game made by the developer spending more advertising dollars (and
giving more free trips and trinkets) *will* get the better press.

Mattinglyfan

Aug 20, 2004, 9:18:53 AM8/20/04

> What makes Madden's AI so great? Because defenders can back peddle?

Spoken like a true dumb ass. AI has nothing to do with the fact that they
can backpedal. AI involves intelligence which you obviously wouldn't
understand. Backpedalling is just common sense for football.

Mattinglyfan

Aug 20, 2004, 9:20:18 AM8/20/04

"Omarichu" <omar...@aol.com> wrote in message

What do expect from a moron who consistently contradicts himself? You
pre-ordered Madden huh? Lying scum bag.

Hank the Rapper

Aug 20, 2004, 9:46:40 AM8/20/04
Politics, religion, and console football games really bring out the worst in
people.

Dan S

Aug 20, 2004, 10:27:04 AM8/20/04

Enter the #1 dumbass of the group.

Did you read the message?

Did you see No One claiming that Madden was selling poorly?

Do these links contradict that post?

Even for a dumb fuck like you this must make sense now, or would you
prefer I have Elmo come out and sing it in a song for you.

In fact I'm not entirely sure you and No One aren't the same person.

dementia

Aug 20, 2004, 10:28:04 AM8/20/04

"Hank the Rapper" <fake...@coldmail.com> wrote in message

> Politics, religion, and console football games really bring out the worst
in
> people.

OMG!!!!!
Standing Ovation

Cole Porter

Aug 20, 2004, 11:20:17 AM8/20/04
Hank the Rapper wrote:

> Politics, religion, and console football games really

> bring out unmitigated stupidity in people.

I fixed your post, Hank.

John Bigbooty

Aug 20, 2004, 12:14:09 PM8/20/04
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:11:45 -0400, "dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote:

>Madden's franchise mode leaves ESPN's in the dust.

I see lots of people writing this and I was hoping someone could go
into detail about what makes the franchise mode in Madden so good. I
not about to spend $50 to find out and a rental period simply ain't
going to cut it to explore the depth of franchise mode.

Mark K

Hank the Rapper

Aug 20, 2004, 12:50:41 PM8/20/04
Cole Porter wrote:

That too.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo

Aug 20, 2004, 5:47:21 PM8/20/04
In article <JQnVc.20828$m31....@fe42.usenetserver.com>, d...@work.com says...
Enter the #1 idiot of the year. I did read the post and I'm smart enough to
realize that your both dumb fucks because both games are selling well. Like I
said get over it.

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo

Aug 20, 2004, 6:00:53 PM8/20/04
In article <TfqdnZfx1tY...@comcast.com>, Estosca...@comcast.net
says...
Uhhh I hate to say it Matty but please read his post again. The sarcasm was
almost dripping off his post.

Mattinglyfan

Aug 20, 2004, 6:45:37 PM8/20/04

"John Bigbooty" <BOGUSevi...@mindspring.comBOGUS> wrote in message

There is nothing so "fantastic" about Madden's franchise, it is just very
solid. However, with ESPN, it is the worst part of the game (bugs galore)
so when put head to head, Madden seems flawless.

GridIronGhost

Aug 20, 2004, 8:06:39 PM8/20/04
No One = MSI
MSI = No One

GridIronGhost

Aug 20, 2004, 9:27:58 PM8/20/04
What can one say about ESPN franchise mode? Only that it was an after
thought on VC part. They spent most of the development time on weekly preps,
which happens to be tedious and boring. Weekly prep does nothing to enhance
the franchise mode. Preseason games are worthless and don't matter since the
CPU will never use it's second string unless you sim. You have to manually
adjust the depth chart every quarter if you want to play your rookies. I can
go on with ESPN's broken franchise, but lets get to your question. What
makes Madden franchise mode better?

Enter Madden 101 Preseason:

Maddens preseason is a work of art if your into franchise mode and want to
develop the best franchise possible. The interface flows so smooth, every
bit of info is at your finger tips thanks to the PDA. From the minute you
start preseason players are put on the trading block you see who they are
what the team wants in return, from the same screen you can see your roster
and determine if you need the player or not. No more having to go into
another screen to see your roster or stats.

Before getting on the field for your first game, you have the option of
taking some players thru mini camp. This mode is a whole game in it self and
very fun. What I like is that I can improve my lower rated players and I
have control over their progress. It's a fun way to churn out a star player
over a few seasons I guess.

It's fun to read the newspaper to see what players are holding out and if
you want to try and get them via a trade. So lets get to the on field play.
The CPU does an excellent job of using their players and yours. They are
subbed when tired and in the second half of the game your rookies (second
string) get to play the rest of the game. The CPU will also put in the third
string in a blow out.

During preseason you have several players battling for the starting job. If
you go into the screen for position battles, you can view the player
movement from week to week and see the players stats. The owner will also
tell who he wants at a certain position and if you don't listen to him, he
gets pissed and puts you on the hot seat.

What makes franchise mode so great is that the CPU makes smart moves. What I
mean by this is that the CPU will not trade, dump, sign a player based on
ratings, age, salary, etc. but based on needs. The trading block is a good
indication of this. I was able to pick up a DT with a 89 rating for one of
my HB, with a rating of 71 because the CPU lost a HB.

Preseason ends and now you get to see your players progression and set your
depth chart according to position battles. Here is the cool part, my 68
rated WR won the starting job over my 90 rated WR. The bastard was on fire
in the preseason. Remember to keep the owner happy. Well I so far covered
preseason, I can not give an opinion on the rest of the franchise mode
because I have not played it. Preseason is so much fun that I played it over
again :)

ESPN is a very good game and could of been great if it copied the Madden
franchise and GUI. I wish that you could make your own VIP for each coach in
ESPN franchise mode. This would be very cool. I believe that the VIP in this
years game is revolutionary and hope to see the expand on it. Does Madden
play a better game then ESPN? This is a preference question and will be
answered differently by others, but for me ESPN footballs game play is just
fine. I have the most fun playing ESPN. Just my opinion, thanks for
listening and feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes.

John Lemings

Aug 20, 2004, 10:22:26 PM8/20/04
Hank the Rapper wrote:

> Politics, religion, and console football games really bring out the worst in
> people.

Well said. As if your entire self-worth as a human being depends on
whether or not you prefer Madden or ESPN.

Ridiculous.

Both games have their pros and cons. Both games do many things right
and many things wrong. No one football game is going to satisfy every
gamer on every front and be "just like the real thing."

Pick the game you like the most and play the crap out of it! Enjoy it
and let others do the same with what they prefer.

Richard Hutnik

Aug 20, 2004, 10:55:41 PM8/20/04
SINNER <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<Xns954AA634E374CL...@140.99.99.130>...
> * dementia Wrote in alt.games.video.xbox:
>
> > So much for the ESPN $20 price causing a dent in Madden sales.
> > Looks like EA just keeps increasing the user base year after year.
>
> I am not a big FB fan and dont own either however ESPN has a bad
> reputation and they finally came out with a good product, EA on the
> other hand has been doing it for a long time and has always had a good
> rep or at least better then ESPN. Give ESPN a year or 2, now that they
> are on the right track you may be surprised by next years offerings.

After playing this year's ESPN, and the presentation, I am a convert
to the ESPN series, IF they manage to smooth out the gameplay. I need
the QB autorun, but I am hooked on the presentation. NFL2K5 is more
fun in its presentation, with the Sportscenter and halftime
highlights, and also the numerous cut scenes. However, I do have
Madden for head to head play, so that I can have the QB autorun play.
I hope next year it is in NFL2K6.

I am looking forward to the other sports titles in the ESPN series
this year. For me, the presentation mode makes it more fun.

- Richard Hutnik

Robert P Holley

Aug 21, 2004, 8:56:45 AM8/21/04
richar...@hotmail.com (Richard Hutnik) wrote in message news:<37bc9e37.04082...@posting.google.com>...

Then you should be ready to pick up ESPN NHL 2K5. It's only $20 this
year, and its already crushing NHL 2005 in reviews so far.

Spiff

Aug 21, 2004, 11:58:58 PM8/21/04
On 21 Aug 2004 05:56:45 -0700, holl...@delanet.com (Robert P Holley)
wrote:

>Then you should be ready to pick up ESPN NHL 2K5. It's only $20 this
>year, and its already crushing NHL 2005 in reviews so far.

that game is also going for US$20 as well???? Wow..i gotta find this
one then..
Go Canucks!!!

Spiff

Jim S.

Aug 22, 2004, 12:18:29 AM8/22/04
Everyone keeps talking about how great Madden's franchise mode is and
how screwed up ESPN's is, largely because of silly trades. Now while I
agree ESPN's is buggier than Madden overall, after my first season in
Madden I played the Arizona Cardinals in the preseason. I was shocked
to see who came in to play QB the second half for the Cardinals: none
other than Brett Favre. He was 2nd on the Cards depth chart behind Josh
McCown. That is just plain wrong.
--
Jim S.

Richard Hutnik

Aug 22, 2004, 12:29:55 AM8/22/04
holl...@delanet.com (Robert P Holley) wrote in message news:<6ed688b3.04082...@posting.google.com>...

It is on my list, but I am not really a hockey fan. All ESPN sports titles are now.

- Richard Hutnik

No One

Aug 22, 2004, 8:07:35 AM8/22/04
Madden -is- selling poorly. It will not come close to EA's expectations this
year. Go to your local EB or Gamestop and look at the stacks of Madden
trade-ins. One week of "fanboy" sales mean nothing. These people would buy
Madden 2005 if you opened the box and all that was inside was a pile of John
Madden's shit. That's basically what they get anyway.

"Dan S" <d...@work.com> wrote in message

Mattinglyfan

Aug 22, 2004, 10:36:48 AM8/22/04

"Jim S." <quin...@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote in message

McNown is the future get with the times Jim. On top of that, this is the
Cardinals we are talking about guy, what the hell did you expect?

Mattinglyfan

Aug 22, 2004, 10:57:43 AM8/22/04

> Madden -is- selling poorly. It will not come close to EA's expectations
this
> year. Go to your local EB or Gamestop and look at the stacks of Madden
> trade-ins.

EB Games sales leaders last week

1) Madden collectors edition
2) ESPN
3) Madden 2005
5) NCAA 2005

You sound like an idiot. Stop inflaming all this crap by saying stupid
stuff. Nobody cares if you hate Madden nor do they care if you love ESPN.
Your stupidity will do nothing but rile up people who will continue to point
out that Madden is outselling ESPN almost 2-1 at this point. We don't care
about the sales if we ALREADY HAVE THE DAMNED GAME YOU DUMB ASS. Shut up.

Jim S.

Aug 22, 2004, 8:02:52 PM8/22/04
Mattinglyfan wrote:

Hey, I'm from St. Louis. I know all about the futility of the football
Cardinals!
--
Jim S.

GridIronGhost

Aug 22, 2004, 9:24:35 PM8/22/04
There you have it folks...Sega is the new leader due to the high Madden
return rate at EB Games.

Hello Tommy where do you buy your video games from....EB Games? No Toys R
Us...whats EB Games?

No One <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Mattinglyfan

Aug 22, 2004, 9:31:17 PM8/22/04

"Jim S." <quin...@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote in message

Roy Green is the greatest!

Jim S.

Aug 23, 2004, 1:12:45 AM8/23/04
Mattinglyfan wrote:

> Roy Green is the greatest!

Lomax to Green...TOUCHDOWN!!!

Roy "Jetstream" Green!
--
Jim S.

John Lemings

Aug 23, 2004, 4:28:23 AM8/23/04
Mattinglyfan wrote:

> You sound like an idiot. Stop inflaming all this crap by saying stupid
> stuff. Nobody cares if you hate Madden nor do they care if you love ESPN.
> Your stupidity will do nothing but rile up people who will continue to point
> out that Madden is outselling ESPN almost 2-1 at this point. We don't care
> about the sales if we ALREADY HAVE THE DAMNED GAME YOU DUMB ASS. Shut up.

He just keeps throwing the bait out there and you just keep biting on it.

Let him rattle on Mattingly, he's not worth your time.

Jayhawker

Aug 23, 2004, 12:58:23 PM8/23/04
On 8/23/04 12:12 AM, in article 41297CCD...@nowayinhellcharter.net,
"Jim S." <quin...@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote:

> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>
>> Roy Green is the greatest!
>
> Lomax to Green...TOUCHDOWN!!!

I'm from St. Louis as well. OJ Anderson and Roy Green were my favorites.
Actually I'm a Chiefs fan now, as I moved to KC in '82, and Bidwell was an
asshole.

I'm living in St. Louis again. The other day I saw a story about the Big
Red and they showed a clip of Bidwell responding to Auggie Busch's offer to
build the Cardinals a stadium. The dickhead said that he would agree to
accept the stadium and keep the Cards in St. Louis, if Busch would agree not
to sell alcohol at the stadium.

I mean, forget what beer means to St. Louis, but beer is a pretty big part
of football, period.

Jayhawker

Mattinglyfan

Aug 24, 2004, 12:41:20 AM8/24/04

> Mattinglyfan wrote:
>
> > You sound like an idiot. Stop inflaming all this crap by saying stupid
> > stuff. Nobody cares if you hate Madden nor do they care if you love
ESPN.
> > Your stupidity will do nothing but rile up people who will continue to
point
> > out that Madden is outselling ESPN almost 2-1 at this point. We don't
care
> > about the sales if we ALREADY HAVE THE DAMNED GAME YOU DUMB ASS. Shut
up.

> He just keeps throwing the bait out there and you just keep biting on it.
>
> Let him rattle on Mattingly, he's not worth your time.

You are right John but that guy just bugs the hell out of me and he is the
first one to call others on this group trolls.

Jim S.

Aug 24, 2004, 1:34:30 AM8/24/04
Jayhawker wrote:

> On 8/23/04 12:12 AM, in article 41297CCD...@nowayinhellcharter.net,
> "Jim S." <quin...@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote:
>
> > Mattinglyfan wrote:
> >
> >> Roy Green is the greatest!
> >
> > Lomax to Green...TOUCHDOWN!!!
>
> I'm from St. Louis as well. OJ Anderson and Roy Green were my favorites.
> Actually I'm a Chiefs fan now, as I moved to KC in '82, and Bidwell was an
> asshole.

Well, your Chiefs demolished my Rams tonight. This could be a good year for the
Chiefs, though the AFC looks TOUGH this year.

> I'm living in St. Louis again. The other day I saw a story about the Big Red
> and they showed a clip of Bidwell responding to Auggie Busch's offer to build
> the Cardinals a stadium. The dickhead said that he would agree to accept the
> stadium and keep the Cards in St. Louis, if Busch would agree not to sell
> alcohol at the stadium.

Yes, Mr. Bidwill is one of the most inept owners and biggest weasels in the
history of professional U.S. sports. A complete and utter loser who doesn't
know what to do with good will when it comes his way.

> I mean, forget what beer means to St. Louis, but beer is a pretty big part of
> football, period.

It is?! ;-)
--
Jim S.

Jayhawker

Aug 24, 2004, 3:36:57 AM8/24/04
On 8/24/04 12:34 AM, in article 412AD366...@nowayinhellcharter.net,
"Jim S." <quin...@nowayinhellcharter.net> wrote:

> Well, your Chiefs demolished my Rams tonight. This could be a good year for
> the Chiefs, though the AFC looks TOUGH this year.

Well, we'll see how the Chiefs do against a team with an OL that is not 40%
retired guys. At least Pace will be there later. I'm sure he's just
holding out to skip training camp, at this point.

Martz has assembled a team that just seems very confused. I swear Sega used
him as a model for their franchise mode. Too bad, because Vermeil is the
example of how a team is built.

How many games until Chandler takes over?

Jayhawker

Jim S.

Aug 25, 2004, 12:46:32 AM8/25/04
Jayhawker wrote:

Agreed. Vermeil is the ultimate football coach, someone who guys would kill for
because he cares about each and every one of them. He has plenty of flaws but no
one gets more out of their players than Vermeil. Plus he has the added benefit of
not being an arrogant asshole like Parcells.

Martz, on the other hand, is a brilliant offensive mind. He just seems completely
overwhelmed (at times) as a head coach. His game-management is
junior-high-school-level bad.

> How many games until Chandler takes over?

Who knows with Martz? I say the Rams go about 6-10 this season and some lucky
teams gets to have Martz as their offensive coordinator next season.
--
Jim S.

Robert P Holley

Aug 25, 2004, 12:35:12 PM8/25/04
"Mattinglyfan" <Estosca...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<TfqdnZfx1tY...@comcast.com>...

> "Omarichu" <omar...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > >More like, I pre-ordered Madden months ago, I've never heard of this ESPN
> > >game... and since I own a Playstation 2, the most mainstream system ever,
> > >have no idea about all the great games that aren't made by EA or Square.
> >
> > You probably would've done alot better for yourself if you hadn't posted
> in
> > this thread at all. Before, your hysteria over EA again destroying Sega
> was
> > only guessed at. Now, it's cemented in stone. Continue losing, dipshit.
>
> What do expect from a moron who consistently contradicts himself? You
> pre-ordered Madden huh? Lying scum bag.

Not sticking up for No One, but just in case you ever wanted to side
with/reply to Omarichu again, check this out.

http://tinyurl.com/4jgop

John Bigbooty

Aug 27, 2004, 4:07:11 PM8/27/04

Thanks for taking the time to give me a run down on Madden's
franchise. I'll admit it sounds much deeper the ESPN's. However, I
think I'll pass on spending $50 for it. Plus, I'm not sure I want to
have to cater to the owner's whims. I want to be owner, coach and GM!

I agree, the VIP feature is one of the best features of ESPN's
offering. Too often people tend to forget about this feature when
mentioning changes the VC team made this year. I'd love to see them
expand on it and offer information, stat tracking by down and
distance.

I was finally able to play a game of ESPN on Live this past week as I
was one of those for whom the bug made online play impossible. What a
great experience. Of course, a lot of that had to do with the opponent
who played a very sim oriented game.

Mark