Xbox 360 S out of stock, Part II

Jonah Falcon

Jun 28, 2010, 5:17:34 PM6/28/10
http://news.punchjump.com/blog/2010/06/28/new-xbox-360-250gb-out-of-stock-at-us-retailers/

Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU remained out of stock at
online retailers this week amid strong demand for the product.

On Mon., the Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU held a sold out status at GameStop
Corp.'s online division.

In addition, the product held a sold out status at Amazon.com. The retail
will restock the hardware July 13.

The new Xbox 360 250GB Elite, which includes built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi and a
250GB hard drive, holds a retail price of $299.99.

The hardware is labeled 'Kinect Ready' to allow functionality to the new
Kinect gesture-based motion controller.

Tom

Jun 28, 2010, 6:07:32 PM6/28/10

"Jonah Falcon" <jonah...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

I can walk into a Walmart right now, or Meijer's, where I do my grocery
shopping, and get a Slim. When I was at Meijer's Saturday, they had 2 Slims
right next to (1 each) of a SC:C and FFXIII bundles.

Jonah Falcon

Jun 28, 2010, 8:29:49 PM6/28/10
Someone told me they have $212 GameStop credit and need to wait for GameStop
to restock.

Mattinglyfan

Jun 29, 2010, 12:41:59 AM6/29/10
On Jun 28, 6:29 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Someone told me they have $212 GameStop credit and need to wait for GameStop
> to restock.

The iphone4 is sold out. The 360sbis out of stock. One is due to
demand, the other is supply.

Jonah Falcon

Jun 29, 2010, 1:42:37 AM6/29/10
Translation from Sony Defense Force: Just wait for PlayStation Move
salezzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzz!

The alMIGHTY N

Jun 29, 2010, 10:39:05 AM6/29/10
On Jun 28, 5:17 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://news.punchjump.com/blog/2010/06/28/new-xbox-360-250gb-out-of-s...

> Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU remained out of stock at
> online retailers this week amid strong demand for the product.
>
> On Mon., the Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU held a sold out status at GameStop
> Corp.'s online division.
>
> In addition, the product held a sold out status at Amazon.com. The retail
> will restock the hardware July 13.
>
> The new Xbox 360 250GB Elite, which includes built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi and a
> 250GB hard drive, holds a retail price of $299.99.
>
> The hardware is labeled 'Kinect Ready' to allow functionality to the new
> Kinect gesture-based motion controller.

Of course, when you start accounting for brick-and-mortar retail in
the United States, you see a very different picture where the Slim is
available. Target, Toys R Us, Best Buy, K-Mart, and Wal-Mart locations
local to both my home and office have the system in stock.

Maybe that's the reason why the online retailers are out of stock -
Microsoft shipped so damn many to the physical locations.

It's very much like when the PlayStation 3 and the PS3 Slim came out
where the online stores were out of stock almost immediately,
prompting mega fanboi celebration, whereas the brick-and-mortar retail
locations were brimming with the consoles.

The alMIGHTY N

Jun 29, 2010, 10:39:26 AM6/29/10
On Jun 28, 8:29 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Someone told me they have $212 GameStop credit and need to wait for GameStop
> to restock.

Send 'em to the GameStop on 6th Avenue near 21st Street.

The alMIGHTY N

Jun 29, 2010, 10:40:29 AM6/29/10
On Jun 29, 1:42 am, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Translation from Sony Defense Force: Just wait for PlayStation Move
> salezzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzz!

Nah, just simple logic. People waited in line for a day to get the
iPhone 4. People strolled into a store to pick up one of many 360
250GBs.

BoodyBandit

Jun 29, 2010, 11:25:45 AM6/29/10
On Jun 28, 5:17 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> http://news.punchjump.com/blog/2010/06/28/new-xbox-360-250gb-out-of-s...

> Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU remained out of stock at
> online retailers this week amid strong demand for the product.
>
> On Mon., the Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU held a sold out status at GameStop
> Corp.'s online division.
>
> In addition, the product held a sold out status at Amazon.com. The retail
> will restock the hardware July 13.
>
> The new Xbox 360 250GB Elite, which includes built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi and a
> 250GB hard drive, holds a retail price of $299.99.
>
> The hardware is labeled 'Kinect Ready' to allow functionality to the new
> Kinect gesture-based motion controller.

LOL!
Man you are always good for a laugh.
The Best Buy in my area has a stack of them!
I just got back from viewing the new Sony 3D display they go in over
the weekend.
I was tempted to get one but, for once, common sense took me over.

GMAN

Jun 29, 2010, 12:48:51 PM6/29/10
In article <dd881841-461f-4c1a...@w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, Mattinglyfan <kyler....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jun 28, 6:29=A0pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Someone told me they have $212 GameStop credit and need to wait for GameS=

>top
>> to restock.
>

>The iphone4 is sold out. The 360sbis out of stock. One is due to
>demand, the other is supply.
And both are broken designs.

The alMIGHTY N

Jun 29, 2010, 3:50:31 PM6/29/10
On Jun 29, 12:48 pm, Winniethep...@100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:

> In article <dd881841-461f-4c1a-a425-7faf0a080...@w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, Mattinglyfan <kyler.jack...@gmail.com> wrote:>On Jun 28, 6:29=A0pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >> Someone told me they have $212 GameStop credit and need to wait for GameS=
> >top
> >> to restock.
>
> >The iphone4 is sold out.  The 360sbis out of stock. One is due to
> >demand, the other is supply.
>
> And both are broken designs.

What part of the Xbox 360 250GB design is broken?

SINNER

Jun 29, 2010, 4:26:46 PM6/29/10
* The alMIGHTY N wrote in alt.games.video.xbox:

> On Jun 29, 12:48 pm, Winniethep...@100acrewoods.org (GMAN) wrote:
>> In article
>> <dd881841-461f-4c1a-a425-7faf0a080...@w12g2000yqj.googlegroups
> .com>, Mattinglyfan <kyler.jack...@gmail.com> wrote:>On Jun 28,

> meS> >top

>> >The iphone4 is sold out.  The 360sbis out of stock. One is due to
>> >demand, the other is supply.
>>
>> And both are broken designs.
>
> What part of the Xbox 360 250GB design is broken?

Could ask the same question of the iPhone if the antenna thing really is
software fixable....

--
David

BoodyBandit

Jun 29, 2010, 11:33:23 PM6/29/10

I wouldn't say this is broken but I despise the fact it doesn't
support existing hard drives. That is down right fucked up on the part
of MS. It's bad enough they didn't make the hard drive standard and
everything is proprietary but now I have to use a USB stick if I want
to game on the multiple 360's I own? If you went to a friends house
you could just take your hard drive but now you have to pick up a USB
stick because it doesn't even support the original memory card as
well. Which I have two of. It just seems to me MS is always trying to
come up with new ways to nickel and dime people.

This is one area Sony shits all over MS. You can use nearly any
devices releated to gaming or the console "YOU" choose. You don't have
to pay for cheap over priced proprietary shit.

The alMIGHTY N

Jun 30, 2010, 11:41:48 AM6/30/10

I'd be surprised if it were software fixable considering the nature of
the issue...

> --
> David

The alMIGHTY N

Jun 30, 2010, 11:42:27 AM6/30/10

Fair enough...

khee mao

Jul 1, 2010, 2:42:54 AM7/1/10

"BoodyBandit" <allabo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

---------------------------------------

well...how the heck are you gonna stick the old hard drive on the new xbox
when they have completely different dimensions? should MS have made a slot
that sat diagonally across the top of the new 360 so people could use their
old hard drives and have it look like the Homer-mobile? seriously, this is
a case where backwards compatibility just isn't feasible. that you can
transfer licenses to the new box and use USB thumbdrives to move saves isn't
good enough? I really don't get what all the fuss is about here.

BoodyBandit

Jul 1, 2010, 8:14:28 AM7/1/10
On Jul 1, 2:42 am, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "BoodyBandit" <allaboutga...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> good enough?  I really don't get what all the fuss is about here.- Hide quoted text -

First it's not a big deal to you because you don't have multiple 360
units in your home.
2nd if MS wasn't so fucking money hungry everything on their console
wouldn't be proprietary including the gate they have their new hard
drive in. It's just a freaking sata drive but we can't even upgrade it
ourselves because of that stupid gate. 3rd it's not rocket science
here. MS could easily come up with a USB attachment if they chose to
do so for their original hard drive to work on the S model. It's a big
deal. All of the gamers I know, and trust me that is a LOT of gamers,
have multiple 360's and they all want to upgrade but none of them want
to have their XBL profiles on USB cards and having to transfer save
files every time they want to game in a different room.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 1, 2010, 10:08:38 AM7/1/10

They don't have to transfer save files between their existing 360's
right now?

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 1, 2010, 10:09:35 AM7/1/10
On Jul 1, 8:14 am, BoodyBandit <allaboutga...@comcast.net> wrote:

Individuals with multiple Xbox 360's is a very small niche of the
entire market so complaints about what makes things difficult only for
them are going to forever fall on deaf ears...

BoodyBandit

Jul 1, 2010, 1:44:02 PM7/1/10
> them are going to forever fall on deaf ears...- Hide quoted text -

Yeah well the memory card isn't a niche audience so is that okay?
Face it. MS does this just to make more money with their proprietary
bullshit.
They are far and away the worst in the industry at wanting to get paid
for every little thing.

BoodyBandit

Jul 1, 2010, 1:45:51 PM7/1/10
> right now?- Hide quoted text -

You just use one hard drive.
Both me and my son have 250gig drive each. We just take it to what
ever room we want to play in.
I have a spare. Want one for a great price? $50 shipped.

BTW there are more people than you think with multiple 360's.
Most Forza nuts have 3 consoles, 3 copies of forza and 3 panels.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 1, 2010, 2:28:20 PM7/1/10

I'm quite confident that it's safe to say that the "Forza nuts"
segment of the video game market or even the Forza 3 market is quite
tiny.

I'm not disputing the spirit of your opinion; I'm simply disputing the
total market relevance of the specific scenario you used to support
your opinion.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 1, 2010, 2:30:51 PM7/1/10

It may seem that way to you, but if you really put your mind to it and
think about each of the three companies you may very well realize that
"far and away" is itself far and away from the truth.

BoodyBandit

Jul 1, 2010, 11:40:00 PM7/1/10
> "far and away" is itself far and away from the truth.- Hide quoted text -

No it's not. The only thing I have for my PS3 other than game is the
DS3 controller. Everything else I use to game with had nothing to do
with Sony. The racing wheels, mouse & keyboard, headsets, cables, usb
stick and memory cards, upgraded hard drive, nearly any bluetooth or
usb device works with the PS3. Sony doesn't force proprietary shit
down their consumers throats. Even their DLC doesn't require
certification. MS give me dah money!

khee mao

Jul 2, 2010, 1:07:34 AM7/2/10

"Jonah Falcon" <jonah...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1103509p1.html

the company says its new slim Xbox 360, unveiled last month at E3, is
experiencing "unprecedented demand" at retail. Microsoft also stated that
along with the recent $50 price cut on the older Xbox 360 models, the
company is seeing a "significant sales spike" for the console overall. "

khee mao

Jul 2, 2010, 12:57:58 AM7/2/10

"BoodyBandit" <allabo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

not sayin MS ain't a buncha money grubbin money grubbers, but I really don't
see how they could have made the hard drive BC with the new model unless
they kept the form factor the same, which would defeat the purpose of the
new model. you have a point with memory cards, though I gotta say, I've
never bought an MS memory card. nor a bigger 360 hard drive. nor paid for
download content (did buy Point Lookout/Broken Steel though). just on
principle. or maybe because the larger (than 20 gig) hard drives were
ridiculously overpriced. anyway, I presume the transfer cable is usable
multiple times if you have multiple xboxes you'd want to switch out.

terryfied

Jul 2, 2010, 5:12:27 AM7/2/10
> Sony doesn't force proprietary shit down their consumers throats.

Then how do you explain the original Sony memory stick?

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 2, 2010, 10:31:29 AM7/2/10

I didn't realize that the console industry consisted of only two
competitors.

I also didn't realize that Microsoft isn't allowed to do the exact
same thing that Nintendo, Sega and your beloved Sony did at the same
point in their involvement in the industry.

I didn't hear people bitching and moaning so loudly in generations
past yet suddenly people seem to have forgotten that Sony was just as
proprietary as Microsoft is now.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 2, 2010, 10:56:00 AM7/2/10
On Jul 2, 5:12 am, terryfied <sillyb...@live.co.uk> wrote:
> > Sony doesn't force proprietary shit down their consumers throats.
>
> Then how do you explain the original Sony memory stick?

It's kind of odd how Sony is trying to be less proprietary with this
generation when overall within the total electronics industry they're
one of the most notorious as far as trying to force proprietary
technology on the consumer.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 2, 2010, 10:58:52 AM7/2/10
On Jul 2, 1:07 am, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >http://news.punchjump.com/blog/2010/06/28/new-xbox-360-250gb-out-of-s...

> > Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU remained out of stock at
> > online retailers this week amid strong demand for the product.
>
> > On Mon., the Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU held a sold out status at GameStop
> > Corp.'s online division.
>
> > In addition, the product held a sold out status at Amazon.com. The retail
> > will restock the hardware July 13.
>
> > The new Xbox 360 250GB Elite, which includes built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi and a
> > 250GB hard drive, holds a retail price of $299.99.
>
> > The hardware is labeled 'Kinect Ready' to allow functionality to the new
> > Kinect gesture-based motion controller.
>
> http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1103509p1.html

> the company says its new slim Xbox 360, unveiled last month at E3, is
> experiencing "unprecedented demand" at retail. Microsoft also stated that
> along with the recent $50 price cut on the older Xbox 360 models, the
> company is seeing a "significant sales spike" for the console overall. "

Isn't that what happens any time a manufacturer releases a redesign,
though? Sony enjoyed elevated sales when they released the PS3 Slim.

Hell, Nintendo just changed the color and sales jumped by more than
half a million that month in the U.S. alone.

Tom

Jul 2, 2010, 5:15:12 PM7/2/10

"The alMIGHTY N" <natl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If going strictly against the 360, that elevation hasn't changed. It isn't
just a flash in time, but ever since Sony released the Slim with the reduced
price, that the 360 has only a but a few times since sold more on a weekly
basis. Since the release of the Slim, the PS3 has gone from being behind the
360 by over 8.5m units to under 5m units. It's interesting to note that with
previous revision releases of the PS3, that only a few times did it outsell
the 360 and that was with a major exclusive release or its launch.

BoodyBandit

Jul 2, 2010, 6:37:38 PM7/2/10
> multiple times if you have multiple xboxes you'd want to switch out.- Hide quoted text -

That only thing that sux about the transfer cable though is MS charges
for it.
Another one of those "give me the money" things from MS. My dumb ass
will probably trade all of my 360's in or a few of them to get these
new models. I'm crazy like that. I'm just not happy about having to
keep my profile on a usb stick. Then again I have been looking for an
excuse to have one main gaming area my kids and then friends don't
take over from me.

Any truth to the rumor that the S model boots up faster than the
standard units?

BoodyBandit

Jul 2, 2010, 6:46:56 PM7/2/10
> proprietary as Microsoft is now.- Hide quoted text -

No matter how you slice it AM MS took a huge step backwards with the
360 from the XBox in nearly every way.
They nickel and dime their consumers every single step of the way.
They even now charge for the transfer cable and took away the HDMI
cables from their units. We are talking now and not 5 or 6 years ago.
It definitely doesn't change the fact that what I said is true. Nearly
every single item on the 360 is proprietary and almost nothing has to
be on the PS3. Even XBL is locked down tighter than a virgin wearing a
chastity belt.

MS is all about GIVE ME DAH MONEY!
Even PSN+ is a step forward in making things cheaper for DLC fanatics
and less proprietary. Can you imagine MS doing something like that?
No. They want paid for everything.

khee mao

Jul 3, 2010, 2:59:01 AM7/3/10

"BoodyBandit" <allabo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

------------------------------------

booting seems about the same. _definitely_ quiter though. love the usb!
glad to see MS finally ditch the memory cards.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 6, 2010, 10:17:42 AM7/6/10

Now that to me is an interesting statement.

They removed the standard hard drive... and that's about it. Live is
better and there are numerous things you can do on it without having
to pay for a membership. You no longer have to pay for a little dongle
in order to play DVDs. Wireless controllers and headsets. Some form of
HDMI support.

> They nickel and dime their consumers every single step of the way.

As every console maker has at this point in their life in the
industry.

> They even now charge for the transfer cable

They gave away free transfer cables? I wish I was in on that deal.

> and took away the HDMI
> cables from their units.

Cost cutting decision. I can understand that. What I can't understand
is Sony blaring about how they have the only truly high-def experience
in town yet they only give you composite cables with their system.

> We are talking now and not 5 or 6 years ago.

I know that. I was actually pretty clear about that in my previous
posts.

> It definitely doesn't change the fact that what I said is true. Nearly
> every single item on the 360 is proprietary and almost nothing has to
> be on the PS3.

You're welcome to have an issue with that. I don't because Sony and
Nintendo were exactly the same way at the same time in their lives in
this industry.

Both the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 were every bit as proprietary,
if not more so, than the Xbox 360 is right now. Sony can afford to
give away the farm, so to speak, because they've had their successes.

Do you honestly think that if Sony hadn't won the previous two
generations (and by a huge margin as in the previous) they would have
done all this?

Hell, Nintendo is still quite proprietary aside from using SD cards as
memory units. Every company that gets into this game is doing it to
make money, and every one of them loses money early on - the trick is
always to reduce costs as much as possible and that generally means
proprietary shit.

Nintendo did it. Sega did it. Sony did it. Now Microsoft is doing it.

You have every right as a consumer to not like it, but to act as if
Sony is some saint because now, a generation and about five or six
years ahead of Microsoft's curve, they were trying to alleviate the
frustration of gamers having to pay for technology they didn't want
just so Sony could win a format war in another industry by using some
standard components, is beyond ridiculous.

> Even XBL is locked down tighter than a virgin wearing a
> chastity belt.

That's pretty funny considering with XBL you can download DLC you
bought and paid for as many times as you need to whereas with PSN
you're allowed - what is it - two downloads before you to re-buy it.
Even Apple's ridiculous iTunes restrictions are nowhere near as bad as
the ones Sony introduced into the video game market and the
entertainment market with Blu-Ray.

> MS is all about GIVE ME DAH MONEY!

In other words, they're trying to be like their elders. Why do you
think Sony shoved a Blu-Ray drive into the PlayStation 3?

> Even PSN+ is a step forward in making things cheaper for DLC fanatics
> and less proprietary.

...?

> Can you imagine MS doing something like that?

Conceivably... next generation, though.

> No. They want paid for everything.

Sony can afford to give some of the farm away since they had their
decade plus of milking the consumer for all they're worth.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 6, 2010, 10:19:08 AM7/6/10
On Jul 2, 5:15 pm, "Tom" <no...@nothere.com> wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:d78133d8-f056-4bef...@m18g2000vbg.googlegroups.com...

I fully understand that. My point was simply that any sales bump for
any console after a form factor redesign shouldn't be a surprise.

Tom

Jul 6, 2010, 5:00:23 PM7/6/10

"The alMIGHTY N" <natl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Except my reply to you was because you mentioned Sony's "sales bump" as if
it were in the past tense, when it is still ongoing..

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 7, 2010, 11:43:57 AM7/7/10
On Jul 6, 5:00 pm, "Tom" <no...@nothere.com> wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:6d273041-ac82-41a8...@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

What I should have said was that Sony enjoyed a sales spike. While
sales are still higher than they were before the release of the
slimline model, they're at nowhere near the levels they were in the
weeks following that launch.

It should also be noted that there's no reasonable expectation that
the 360's new sales numbers will be anywhere near those of the PS3
Slim's considering:

a) The PS3 Slim was released relatively close the holiday season
b) More importantly, the Slim represented a price cut that many gamers
on the fence had been waiting for

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 7, 2010, 1:58:47 PM7/7/10
On Jul 2, 1:07 am, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >http://news.punchjump.com/blog/2010/06/28/new-xbox-360-250gb-out-of-s...

> > Microsoft Corp.'s new Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU remained out of stock at
> > online retailers this week amid strong demand for the product.
>
> > On Mon., the Xbox 360 250GB Slim SKU held a sold out status at GameStop
> > Corp.'s online division.
>
> > In addition, the product held a sold out status at Amazon.com. The retail
> > will restock the hardware July 13.
>
> > The new Xbox 360 250GB Elite, which includes built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi and a
> > 250GB hard drive, holds a retail price of $299.99.
>
> > The hardware is labeled 'Kinect Ready' to allow functionality to the new
> > Kinect gesture-based motion controller.
>
> http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1103509p1.html

> the company says its new slim Xbox 360, unveiled last month at E3, is
> experiencing "unprecedented demand" at retail. Microsoft also stated that
> along with the recent $50 price cut on the older Xbox 360 models, the
> company is seeing a "significant sales spike" for the console overall. "

http://gear.ign.com/articles/110/1104309p1.html

One quote in particular caught me: "Though well constructed, the new
design looks and feels cheaper than previous iterations."

Do you agree with that assessment?

khee mao

Jul 8, 2010, 3:33:59 AM7/8/10

http://gear.ign.com/articles/110/1104309p1.html

I think it looks great. like a slice of a Lamborghini. materials seem
quality too. the touch sensitive controls are way more satisfying than the
sloppy buttons of the previous iteration, there isn't an ugly hard drive
dangling off the side/top, and the tray door (wish it were a slot load)
matches the body, all of which are improvements, imho.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 8, 2010, 10:24:48 AM7/8/10
On Jul 8, 3:33 am, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:b7b80f27-2e22-457e...@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

You don't agree with their opinion that the touch sensitive controls
are *too* touch sensitive?

It looks great to me. I haven't actually seen one open yet so I can't
form any opinion about what the material "feels" like.

Personally, as long as the thing looks decent, doesn't seem like it's
going to fall apart with a little knock and plays the games I want to
play, I couldn't care less about anything else really.

AGENT47

Jul 10, 2010, 12:22:15 PM7/10/10
> play, I couldn't care less about anything else really.- Hide quoted text -

I'm waiting for GameStop to get them back in stock, so I can trade in
my "barely working" pro and arcade system.

After all is said and done 'according the prices the clerk gave me for
my systems' I'll be getting an just about an even swap for the new
360.

Since my other system was headed for Salvation Army I said what the
heck pulled it out of the closet and it's still working fine.

$100 for each bare console

plus $$ for each HDD , I have a 120g and a 20g and 5 controllers I
don't need, plus some other crap

khee mao

Jul 12, 2010, 12:43:46 AM7/12/10

"The alMIGHTY N" <natl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

============================

nope. I think the touch controls work great. I guess maybe it could be a
problem with pets or kids or something, but I can't imagine accidentally
hitting either of them. if I'm ever within arms reach, I'm either swapping
discs or dusting, and dusting doesn't set them off. one of my peeves with
my ps3 is that you have to hold down the power 'button' for a few seconds to
shutdown. not so on the new 360.

material feels like any other abs plastic. I mean it's probably the same
stuff of the fat PS3, just molded differently.

too, you mentioned source switching sometimes caused spontaneous shut downs
in another thread. I haven't seen that.

The alMIGHTY N

Jul 12, 2010, 10:59:21 AM7/12/10
On Jul 12, 12:43 am, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:4c3669e2-ecf1-47df...@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

Sweet. Maybe I'll have to get one of these down the line... I'd like
to actually be able to use my HDMI connection for it since I use it
for everything else connected to my television.

AGENT47

Jul 12, 2010, 9:15:48 PM7/12/10
Guys I'd hold off from getting a S 360 , until they figure out the red
dot issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKb78oADxpk

The video was from a reviewer on Amazon who just after transferring
his game saves received the red dot.

After my short investigation , other than a heat issue , someone said
this happens when the new 250 gb isn't seated properly.

Since I regularly play on my Jasper at 15 hour stretches with no
issue , I might wait until the fall to see if this a real issue.

AGENT47

Jul 12, 2010, 9:26:26 PM7/12/10

Power brick issues, it seems you can't use the power brick with a
surge protector, this is the 3rd video and all users had it plugged
into a surge protector.

Ehh I'm just keeping my Jasper,it looks like the most reliable
version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7s_Oem7K1s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc-qAujBkTo&feature=related

Nick Soapdish, Jr.

Jul 13, 2010, 7:14:45 PM7/13/10

That is just ridiculous. So I can't protect an Xbox 360 S from power
surges because it'll cause the system to fail in a different way?????
It's just plain incompetence. While Sony's made its share of dumb
mistakes, they haven't made the same consistent type of mistake as
often as Microsoft has with its QA and design reliability for this
generation.

AGENT47

Jul 13, 2010, 11:46:02 PM7/13/10

Yeah there's more, I found a ton of vids where the power brick is
making a popping sound. XBOX support told the purchaser to still use
the console, holy sweet jesus. (video below)

I was gonna get the new 360 , but my Jasper runs for 15 hour+
stretches without fail and it's plugged into a surge protector for the
last 2 years.

I've been investigating the the new model and have found four common
issues.

1 is the red dot , presumable a poorly seated 250gb hard drive and/or
a premature shutdown when the unit is on for too long? 4 hours ??
2 the power brick doesn't behave well with surge protectors
3 the power brick makes a rather loud crackling sound
4 when vertical the disk makes a rather large sound when spooling up
(My Jasper does not do this)

power brick snap,crackle and poppin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHpOuQnA3k8

not so quiet after all, disc spin noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGIRB_poxjY&feature=related

Plus I've heard the slim shuts downs prematurely to presumably save
the console from overheating, since I game for long stretches at a
time I'm holding off on the slim.

Tom

Jul 14, 2010, 5:09:58 AM7/14/10

"AGENT47" <ks...@4email.net> wrote in message

So far, these Slim issues certainly haven't gotten the attention that the
RROD boxes got in the first two years of the 360's life cycle. Having said
that, I know the Slim model is very new, so the media attention it garners
remains to be seen if and when these failure ratios ramps up. I am not
getting any newer model(s) this gen at all, even if this Jasper model here
goes belly up and is outside of warranty for free repair; I won't even
replace it. I am simply waiting for the next gen consoles and what they
offer.

The Jasper I have had since December of '08' has been quiet, runs cool as
well as plays smooth. I haven't touched it in months though as my wife plays
it nearly all of the time. I haven't bought but one physical game for the
360 this year.

GMAN

Jul 14, 2010, 7:58:08 PM7/14/10
In article <1a2e973b-cbe3-4bee...@x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, AGENT47 <ks...@4email.net> wrote:
>On Jul 13, 7:14=A0pm, "Nick Soapdish, Jr." <JGordon...@aol.com> wrote:

>> On Jul 12, 8:26=A0pm, AGENT47 <ks...@4email.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Power brick issues, it seems you can't use the power brick with a
>> > surge protector, this is the 3rd video and all users had it plugged
>> > into a surge protector.
>>
>> > Ehh I'm just keeping my Jasper,it looks like the most reliable
>> > version.
>>
>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Db7s_Oem7K1s&feature=3Drelated
>>
>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Duc-qAujBkTo&feature=3Drelated
>>
>> That is just ridiculous. =A0So I can't protect an Xbox 360 S from power

>> surges because it'll cause the system to fail in a different way?????
>> It's just plain incompetence. =A0While Sony's made its share of dumb

>> mistakes, they haven't made the same consistent type of mistake as
>> often as Microsoft has with its QA and design reliability for this
>> generation.
>
>Yeah there's more, I found a ton of vids where the power brick is
>making a popping sound. XBOX support told the purchaser to still use
>the console, holy sweet jesus. (video below)
>
>I was gonna get the new 360 , but my Jasper runs for 15 hour+
>stretches without fail and it's plugged into a surge protector for the
>last 2 years.
>
>I've been investigating the the new model and have found four common
>issues.
>
>1 is the red dot , presumable a poorly seated 250gb hard drive and/or
>a premature shutdown when the unit is on for too long? 4 hours ??
>2 the power brick doesn't behave well with surge protectors
>3 the power brick makes a rather loud crackling sound
>4 when vertical the disk makes a rather large sound when spooling up
>(My Jasper does not do this)
>
>power brick snap,crackle and poppin
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsHpOuQnA3k8

Sounds like a geiger counter!!!

>not so quiet after all, disc spin noise

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhGIRB_poxjY&feature=3Drelated

Smitzor

Aug 10, 2010, 10:51:43 PM8/10/10

> too, you mentioned source switching sometimes caused spontaneous shut
> downs
> in another thread. I haven't seen that.

My experience with the source switching issue occurs when I have an audio
dongle where the analog cables normally plug in and I am using the HDMI out.
When It is all connected together and I change source, it will soft reset my
kit upon returning to the 360's source. If I pull the dongle before
switching back, I won't have any trouble at all. Plugging the dongle back in
though will reboot the kit as well.

I'm willing to bet that the new unit's will have the same results with my
setup because this is how MS prevents you from using a component/composite
to vga converter or anything that isn't MS certified.