January NPD - PS3: 203K, Xbox360: 309K, Wii: 679K

AirRaid

Feb 12, 2009, 7:37:22 PM2/12/09
PlayStation 2 101.2K
PlayStation 3 203.2K
PSP 172.3K
Xbox 360 309K
Wii 679.2K
Nintendo DS 510.8K

WII FIT (WII) 777K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE (WII) 415K
MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII) 292K
LEFT 4 DEAD (360) 243K
CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* (360) 235K
SKATE 2 (360) 199K
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* (WII) 155K
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (DS) 135K
MARIO KART DS (DS )132K
LORD OF THE RINGS: CONQUEST (360) 113K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352226

Trevor Smithson

Feb 12, 2009, 8:36:56 PM2/12/09

Very strong Wii Fit and Wii sales. DS sold more than PS2/PS3/PSP
combined.

Gears 2 dropped off awfully quickly it seems.

From that same thread, last year's numbers:

Nintendo Wii -- 274k
PlayStation 3 - 269k
PlayStation 2 - 264k
Nintendo DS -- 251k
Sony PSP ----- 230k
Xbox 360 ----- 230k

Jonah Falcon

Feb 12, 2009, 9:46:20 PM2/12/09
> Gears 2 dropped off awfully quickly it seems.

Gears 2 was released Nov 7. It's Feb 12.

Wii Fit is a peripheral - I don't count peripheral sales as "games". Do you
honestly consider Wii Fit a "game"? Or even Wii Play?

TheLightsAreOn

Feb 12, 2009, 9:57:41 PM2/12/09
"Jonah Falcon" <jonah...@mindspring.com> wrote in

Wii Fit IS a game that comes with a peripheral. Using your logic, the Time
Crisis series sales = 0 because it is sold with a gun.

Wii Play is a whole other animal.

Trevor Smithson

Feb 13, 2009, 12:15:44 AM2/13/09

Wii Fit is a game and a peripheral.

Jonah Falcon

Feb 13, 2009, 12:35:30 AM2/13/09

"TheLightsAreOn" <fa...@thisaddress.com> wrote in message

Wii Fit is a game? Minesweeper is more of a game than Wii Fit.

ks...@4email.net

Feb 13, 2009, 1:14:58 AM2/13/09

Wow Left4Dead still going strong, I Still play nightly , I'm an addict
at this point.

Can't wait for the free content, we desperatley need like 100 more
maps? Please , or at least a couple , like 20..heh

ks...@4email.net

Feb 13, 2009, 1:18:51 AM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 9:46 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Gears 2 dropped off awfully quickly it seems.
>
> Gears 2 was released Nov 7. It's Feb 12.

Left4Dead was released Nov 18th

I like Gears2 Horde mode ONLINE , but the matchmaking was horrible,
with matches taking 5-30 min to set up.

Left4Dead I can get a match in 30 seconds

Wolfing

Feb 13, 2009, 9:21:04 AM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 7:37 pm, AirRaid <AirRaid...@gmail.com> wrote:

You know? sometimes I hate these NPD times. A game nowadays is deemed
a failure if it doesn't show in the NPD numbers (it doesn't matter if
it costs 1/10th to make than another game in the list). Makes game
companies only go for 'AAA' production games which cost $10M to make
and may lose money, but if they show in the list, it's better than
making a game that costs $1M, makes $2M in sales, but doesn't show in
the list.

JordanLund

Feb 13, 2009, 9:26:47 AM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 4:37 pm, AirRaid <AirRaid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> PlayStation 2 101.2K
> PlayStation 3 203.2K
> PSP 172.3K
> Xbox 360 309K
> Wii 679.2K
> Nintendo DS 510.8K

Wow, continuing the trend that started in November... all the Sony
platforms are down compared to the same time last year:

Gain from January '08 to January '09:

Wii +147.88%
Xbox 360 +34.35%
PS3 -24.46%
PS2 -61.67%
NDS +103.51%
PSP -25.09%

January '08 numbers:

Wii - 274,000
Xbox 360 - 230,000
PS3 - 269,000
PS2 - 264,000
NDS - 251,000
PSP - 230,000

So much for the lie of Sony momentum.

- Jordan

Bill Cable

Feb 13, 2009, 9:32:26 AM2/13/09
It's tough being the most expensive choice during an economic
crisis...

Hopefully they're remedy that soon.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 13, 2009, 10:17:09 AM2/13/09

The Wii and Wii Fit appear quite plentiful in my area. There are
stacks of both in just about every retailer I walk into.

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 13, 2009, 10:20:52 AM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 9:46 pm, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Gears 2 dropped off awfully quickly it seems.
>
> Gears 2 was released Nov 7. It's Feb 12.
>
> Wii Fit is a peripheral - I don't count peripheral sales as "games".

The Wii Balance Board is the peripheral. Wii Fit is one game that uses
it. The Playstation 3 Eye debuted first as part of the "Eye of
Judgment" package - does that mean "Eye of Judgment" is a peripheral?

Nevertheless, what *you* count as a game is irrelevant to what *is* a
game.

> Do you
> honestly consider Wii Fit a "game"? Or even Wii Play?

Are they not games? Look up the definition of a game. If that doesn't
satisfy you, perhaps you should tell everyone who plays Solitaire,
Mine Sweeper, Diner Dash, Bejeweled, Tetris, Hearts, Checkers, Connect
Four, Monopoly, etc. that they haven't been playing games all these
years.

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 13, 2009, 10:21:38 AM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 9:57 pm, TheLightsAreOn <f...@thisaddress.com> wrote:
> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote innews:wYOdnX3NcqJmQwnU...@earthlink.com:

Are you somehow going to argue that Wii Play isn't a game even though
you just showed exactly why it is one?

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 13, 2009, 10:23:35 AM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 12:35 am, "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "TheLightsAreOn" <f...@thisaddress.com> wrote in message

> > "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote in

> >> Gears 2 was released Nov 7. It's Feb 12.
>
> >> Wii Fit is a peripheral - I don't count peripheral sales as "games".
> >> Do you honestly consider Wii Fit a "game"? Or even Wii Play?
>
> > Wii Fit IS a game that comes with a peripheral. Using your logic, the Time
> > Crisis series sales = 0 because it is sold with a gun.
>
> Wii Fit is a game? Minesweeper is more of a game than Wii Fit.

Minesweeper isn't half the game Wii Fit is. You can do well in
Minesweeper just randomly dragging across the screen.

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that you haven't actually
played very much of Wii Fit at all and are just going by screenshots
of people doing half-assed yoga. I play Wii Fit a lot and I almost
never touch the yoga or strength training activities.

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 13, 2009, 10:24:07 AM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 12:15 am, Trevor Smithson <trevor_smith...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:46:20 -0500, "Jonah Falcon"
>
> <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >> Gears 2 dropped off awfully quickly it seems.
>
> >Gears 2 was released Nov 7. It's Feb 12.
>
> >Wii Fit is a peripheral - I don't count peripheral sales as "games". Do you
> >honestly consider Wii Fit a "game"? Or even Wii Play?
>
> Wii Fit is a game and a peripheral.

It's not at all a peripheral. The device is called the Wii Balance
Board.

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 13, 2009, 10:25:26 AM2/13/09

Then you must really hate it when games that cost much less still make
it to the top of the lists...

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 13, 2009, 10:30:41 AM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 9:32 am, Bill Cable <billca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's tough being the most expensive choice during an economic
> crisis...

The economic crisis only makes it tougher - it was tough being the
most expensive choice (by far) even when things weren't as deep in the
shitter.

> Hopefully they're remedy that soon.

They don't really have much real choice there. They have to drop the
price in the first half of 2009 to remain even remotely competitive.

Wolfing

Feb 13, 2009, 3:00:42 PM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 10:25 am, "The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)"

Oh no, I love that!!! but it's a very rare occurrence.

felonio...@aol.com

Feb 13, 2009, 3:11:26 PM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 4:37 pm, AirRaid <AirRaid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Xbox 360 309K
> Wii 679.2K

Ouch!

Robert P Holley

Feb 13, 2009, 4:00:15 PM2/13/09
On Feb 12, 7:37 pm, AirRaid <AirRaid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PlayStation 3 203.2K
> Xbox 360 309K

Eight million and growing.

Doug Jacobs

Feb 13, 2009, 4:29:37 PM2/13/09
In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 felonio...@aol.com wrote:

> On Feb 12, 4:37?pm, AirRaid <AirRaid...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Xbox 360 309K
>> Wii 679.2K
>
> Ouch!

Nothing new though. This generation belongs to the Wii.

>> PlayStation 3 203.2K

While this is also nothing new, it's just pretty sad. I would have hoped
that the PS3 could have at least kept up with the 360, instead of slipping
further and further behind.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

TheLightsAreOn

Feb 14, 2009, 1:36:53 AM2/14/09
"The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)"
<simply...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Feb 12, 9:57 pm, TheLightsAreOn <f...@thisaddress.com> wrote:
>> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote

>> innews:wYOdnX3NcqJmQwnUn
> Z2dnUVZ...@earthlink.com:

>> > Gears 2 was released Nov 7. It's Feb 12.
>>
>> > Wii Fit is a peripheral - I don't count peripheral sales as
>> > "games". Do you honestly consider Wii Fit a "game"? Or even Wii
>> > Play?
>>
>> Wii Fit IS a game that comes with a peripheral. Using your logic, the
>> Tim
>> Crisis series sales = 0 because it is sold with a gun.
>>
>> Wii Play is a whole other animal.
>
> Are you somehow going to argue that Wii Play isn't a game even though
> you just showed exactly why it is one?

No. I am just saying the popularity of it borders on crazy.

Bill Cable

Feb 14, 2009, 10:42:36 AM2/14/09
On Feb 13, 10:30 am, "The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)"

<simplytheb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They don't really have much real choice there. They have to drop the
> price in the first half of 2009 to remain even remotely competitive.

Everybody knowing this is definitely cutting into sales. A drop to
$299 should unleash the floodgates.

Paul Murray

Feb 17, 2009, 11:00:12 AM2/17/09

Seems like 777,000 people in the US disagreed with you in January

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 17, 2009, 2:06:52 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 11:00 am, Paul Murray <p...@murray.net> wrote:
> On 2009-02-13, Jonah Falcon <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > "TheLightsAreOn" <f...@thisaddress.com> wrote in message
> >> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote in

> >> Wii Fit IS a game that comes with a peripheral. Using your logic, the Time
> >> Crisis series sales = 0 because it is sold with a gun.
> > Wii Fit is a game? Minesweeper is more of a game than Wii Fit.
>
> Seems like 777,000 people in the US disagreed with you in January

777,000 people bought Minesweeper in January?

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 17, 2009, 2:07:42 PM2/17/09
On Feb 14, 1:36 am, TheLightsAreOn <f...@thisaddress.com> wrote:
> "The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)"
> <simplytheb...@gmail.com> wrote innews:11af9d31-397e-4955...@m2g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Feb 12, 9:57 pm, TheLightsAreOn <f...@thisaddress.com> wrote:
> >> "Jonah Falcon" <jonahny...@mindspring.com> wrote
> >> innews:wYOdnX3NcqJmQwnUn
> > Z2dnUVZ_t_in...@earthlink.com:

> >> Wii Fit IS a game that comes with a peripheral. Using your logic, the
> >> Tim
> >> Crisis series sales = 0 because it is sold with a gun.
>
> >> Wii Play is a whole other animal.
>
> > Are you somehow going to argue that Wii Play isn't a game even though
> > you just showed exactly why it is one?
>
> No. I am just saying the popularity of it borders on crazy.

Ah, got it. I interpreted it as you saying that, unlike Wii Fit, Wii
Play was just an accessory. My bad.

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 17, 2009, 2:09:02 PM2/17/09
On Feb 14, 10:42 am, Bill Cable <billca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 10:30 am, "The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)"
>
> <simplytheb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > They don't really have much real choice there. They have to drop the
> > price in the first half of 2009 to remain even remotely competitive.
>
> Everybody knowing this is definitely cutting into sales.  A drop to
> $299 should unleash the floodgates.

One would hope... as much as I prefer the Xbox 360, lack of
competition does nobody any good. I'm not entirely convinced that the
response would be quite as seismic as you think, though.

The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)

Feb 17, 2009, 2:11:10 PM2/17/09
On Feb 14, 10:42 am, Bill Cable <billca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 10:30 am, "The Almighty N (Blig, Creamy and Jonah's owner)"
>
> <simplytheb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > They don't really have much real choice there. They have to drop the
> > price in the first half of 2009 to remain even remotely competitive.
>
> Everybody knowing this is definitely cutting into sales.  A drop to
> $299 should unleash the floodgates.

The other thing to consider is that when (not if) Sony drops the price
of the Playstation 3, Microsoft will do the same.

There was a tremendous increase in the sales of the Arcade model when
it dropped to $200. Imagine if the Pro dropped to $250. Hell, imagine
if the Arcade dropped to $150 and the Pro dropped to $250 or, better
yet, $200.