MGS4 barely fits on a dual-sided Blu-Ray disc

1 view

Andre Matuch

Mar 2, 2008, 2:19:24 AM3/2/08
To me, this is just solid proof that the direction MGS4 has taken is the
wrong one. I pointed out the other day that all we had seen about MGS4
(until a few days ago) were cutscenes. Now, we can all confirm the rumor
that MGS4 will be cutscenes aplenty with a little bit of press the right
button at the right time action... y'know, like Space Ace and Dragon's
Lair. Seriously though, I don't find any of this shit funny. Gaming is
going the wrong way.

http://www.n4g.com/tech/News-117932.aspx

In an exclusive interview with Hideo Kojima, the creator of Metal Gear
Solid series, has made complains about 50GB BD not been sufficient. The
Metal Gear Solid producer considers the Blu Ray disc too small and that
they had to make compromises in order to put the game on the 50GB BD.
According to Hideo, the programmers had to compress some parts in the game
to save disc space.

Kojima : I am not satisfied with the quality yet, however...there isn't
enough space.

Interviewer: Not enough space..on..Blu-ray..?

Kojima: Yes.(laughs). Not enough space.

Private Private

Mar 2, 2008, 5:01:36 AM3/2/08
Leave it to the japanese to fill a game with annoying cutscenes. The PS3
already is able to play movies,we don't need yet another movie in a
videogame package.
I guess the japanese just gotta have their multiple cutscenes in a video
game.
I can't stand the 'press this button when prompted' cutscenes either.
Why can't they forgo all cutscenes and make them in game real-time part
of the gameplay ,similar to Half Life2. This is the big reason I don't
like most japanese flavored games. If I wanted to sit and watch a movie
I'll rent one. What a waste

jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk

Mar 2, 2008, 6:41:19 AM3/2/08

And a badly dubbed, gibberish one at that... honestly, the MGS stories
are ludicrous. Completely kills the game for me.

Tom

Mar 2, 2008, 9:25:46 AM3/2/08

"Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

Well, this all but confirms that it won't be on the 360!

Really though, who gives a rats ass anyway, and why are you posting PS3 game
news in an Xbox group?

boodybandit

Mar 2, 2008, 11:35:00 AM3/2/08

"Tom" <no...@nothere.com> wrote in message

Gee. Take 1 guess why?

Andre Matuch

Mar 2, 2008, 1:10:07 PM3/2/08

I hate everything japanese and it doesn't surprise me that they're using
video games to create a new sort of interactive Hollywood. The Americans
own moving pictures so the Japanese might as well own interactive moving
pictures. The only problem is, there's so much fluff that there's little
stuff left.

khee mao

Mar 2, 2008, 1:19:49 PM3/2/08

> jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> I hate everything japanese
you hate ninjas?

and Godzilla?

and sushi?

and manga?

Blig Merk

Mar 2, 2008, 2:00:25 PM3/2/08
This hasn't been positively confirmed yet. All that is there is, once
again, a rumor site post of a bad translation interview. And it is
dual-layer, you nitwit, not dual-sided. That is a big difference. It
could be possible to go with a dual-layer, dual-sided release
eventually for 100GB. It would still require flipping over the disc
but it would still be less cumbersome than having to handle, keep
track of, and swap a second disc. I haven't seen anything that
indicates the PS3 can't read triple-layer BD either.

There has been no additional information regarding exactly what is
taking up so much space, it could just as well be very high rez
textures and high polygon count environments as well as uncompressed
7.1 audio. The other factor is Kojima and the Metal Gear Solid series
has always made every effort to use the in-game engine for the
cutscenes, not "movies" as most shit-for-brains xflop fanbitches have
been carrying on about. If these are lengthy, that would take a lot of
asset space.

The pre-order bonus material includes a separate DVD with a
compilation of the Metal Gear saga and the beta online MP. The MGS4
final game disc probably contains all the final MP maps for the
online, which take up a lot of space these days, and it probably has
extras plus some kind of Home integration.

The really significant news about this development is that DVD for
games is on its death bed. There are now PC games that come on one
dual layer DVD but exceed 8.5 GB uncompressed to the hard drive. There
are some PC games now coming on 2 DVD for the install. This means the
content can't be uncompressed to stream directly from a DVD anymore.
It is still working for some xflop 3-shitty games but they are so
downgraded in resolution and texture resolution that they still fit.
But going ahead, the xflop 3-shitty version is going to look and play
a lot crappier than everything except the Wii. Several developers are
now openly stating the PS3 is the platform they will develop on and
then make the inferior port to the xflop 3-shitty.

Smelly socks

Mar 2, 2008, 3:40:43 PM3/2/08
On 2 Mar, 18:19, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>
> news:e4Cyj.13$2m4....@weber.videotron.net...> jeremieba...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I hate everything japanese
>
> you hate ninjas?

Pirates are FAR better.

> and Godzilla?

That fish-eating XXXXL sized slimy git?

> and sushi?

It's just uncooked meat.

> and manga?

Wanganum is better!

Smelly socks

Mar 2, 2008, 3:42:38 PM3/2/08

Do you lick windows?

jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk

Mar 2, 2008, 4:22:30 PM3/2/08
On Mar 2, 6:19 pm, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>
> news:e4Cyj.13$2m4....@weber.videotron.net...> jeremieba...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I hate everything japanese
>
> you hate ninjas?
>
> and Godzilla?
>
> and sushi?
>
> and manga?

Most manga is gibberish in my opinion. It's either so badly translated
that it makes no sense, or it never made sense in the first place. A
large percentage of it isn't even well drawn or animated. Some of it,
though, is excellent.

Blig Merk

Mar 2, 2008, 4:24:01 PM3/2/08
xflop fanbitches am cry, Blig Merk am laugh and laugh and laugh,
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

http://buyps3now.com/new-ps3-disc

Hitachi Develops 100GB Blu-Ray Disk Compatible With PS3
October 7, 2007

Hitachi has just reported that their new 100GB Blu-Ray discs will be
compatible with the Sony PS3. A firmware update will be required, but
that is all that will be needed. Besides this being bragging rights
over the XBox 360's HD-DVD format, which only holds 51GB, this is
great news for game developers as it gives much headroom for future
games. Even the first generation title, Resistance: Fall Of Man filled
16 of the 25GB available on a single layer Blu-Ray disc. The 100GB
disc supports quad layer technology, with 25GB per layer. Hitachi is
also developing an eight layer Blu-Ray disc with a capacity of, you
guessed it, 200GB. Although no new hardware is needed for your PS3 to
read these, the actual price per disc on the manufacturers side is
sure to be more than a sigle or dual layer Blu-Ray disc.

http://www.myistop.com/blogs/fordac/100gb-blu-ray-disc-playstation-3

100GB Blu-ray Disc for Playstation 3
October 7th, 2007

Hitachi's disc they have made required only the standard head and just
firmware update to either your current standalone player or your
current PS3
and you would be good to go. Hitachi is trying to make the signal
quality more
stable before releasing the discs for the public.
Hitachi is also already working in an eight-layer disc which can hold
200GB.

jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk

Mar 2, 2008, 5:04:21 PM3/2/08
On Mar 2, 9:24 pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> xflop fanbitches am cry, Blig Merk am laugh and laugh and laugh,
> HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Blig, this is what happens to your basic communicative skills when all
you do for 7 years is read console articles and shoot your diseased
muck into a lone sock.

khee mao

Mar 2, 2008, 6:41:30 PM3/2/08

"Smelly socks" <swam_...@jubii.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 2 Mar, 18:19, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
>

>> and sushi?
>
> It's just uncooked meat.

actually, sushi can be cooked or raw, and always comes with rice.

SHaKeY STeVe

Mar 2, 2008, 7:45:48 PM3/2/08

How dare Kojima fill a whole 50gig disc with content...shame on him.
And how dare he try to reach for the highest quality game experience
possible. This is about as nonsensical a post as I've ever read...

Smelly socks

Mar 2, 2008, 7:45:51 PM3/2/08
On 2 Mar, 23:41, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "Smelly socks" <swam_mol...@jubii.co.uk> wrote in message

Sushimi is better anyway...

Holy Moses

Mar 2, 2008, 8:33:03 PM3/2/08

sashimi

Private Private

Mar 3, 2008, 12:17:17 AM3/3/08
The latest OXM re-afirms there 'rumor mole's' expectation that a 360
version of MGS4 will hit the 360. It will be handled by a different team
and include different story ark. Keep in mind they still believe this
even though Konami keeps saying it'll be exclusive. Word is they have an
insider a Konami who gave them the tip. The 'rumor mole' is mostly spot
on.

Captain Jack Harkness

Mar 3, 2008, 4:06:03 AM3/3/08

<jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Mar 2, 9:24 pm, Bilge Merk <bilge...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > xflop fanbitches am cry, Blig Merk am laugh and laugh and laugh,
> > HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
>
> Blig, this is what happens to your basic communicative skills when all
> you do for 7 years is read console articles and shoot your diseased
> muck into a lone sock.

Pay no attention to bilgemerk. This stupid asshole perkoff throws its
immature spamtrums because it's the PoS3tard version of Cooper Lawrence.

http://www.godmodeonline.com/d/20080128.html

elr...@pop.uky.edu

Mar 3, 2008, 10:49:11 AM3/3/08
On Mar 2, 7:45 pm, SHaKeY STeVe <shakey.st...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> How dare Kojima fill a whole 50gig disc with content...shame on him.
> And how dare he try to reach for the highest quality game experience
> possible. This is about as nonsensical a post as I've ever read...

It's not about the "highest quality game experience." It's about a Jap
who includes WAY too many annoying long cutscenes in his game.

mordacp...@hotmail.com

Mar 3, 2008, 11:12:15 AM3/3/08
On Mar 2, 1:24 pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> xflop fanbitches am cry, Blig Merk am laugh and laugh and laugh,
> HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
>
> http://buyps3now.com/new-ps3-disc
>
> Hitachi Develops 100GB Blu-Ray Disk Compatible With PS3
> October 7, 2007
>
> Hitachi has just reported that their new 100GB Blu-Ray discs will be
> compatible with the Sony PS3. A firmware update will be required, but
> that is all that will be needed. Besides this being bragging rights
> over the XBox 360's HD-DVD format,

Someone needs to inform this idiot the 360 doesn't have an HD-DVD
drive for games.

> which only holds 51GB, this is
> great news for game developers as it gives much headroom for future
> games. Even the first generation title, Resistance: Fall Of Man filled
> 16 of the 25GB available on a single layer Blu-Ray disc. The 100GB
> disc supports quad layer technology, with 25GB per layer. Hitachi is
> also developing an eight layer Blu-Ray disc with a capacity of, you
> guessed it, 200GB. Although no new hardware is needed for your PS3 to
> read these, the actual price per disc on the manufacturers side is
> sure to be more than a sigle or dual layer Blu-Ray disc.
>
> http://www.myistop.com/blogs/fordac/100gb-blu-ray-disc-playstation-3

Now if just some PS3 exclusives were available for playing...

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 11:57:52 AM3/3/08

I believe Metal Gear was the first franchise examined in one of EGM's
new features where they decipher ridiculous convoluted plotlines.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 11:58:37 AM3/3/08
On Mar 2, 1:10 pm, Andre Matuch <n...@spam.com> wrote:

> jeremieba...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > On Mar 2, 10:01 am, KS...@webtv.net (Private Private) wrote:
> >> Leave it to the japanese to fill a game with annoying cutscenes. The PS3
> >> already is able to play movies,we don't need yet another movie in a
> >> videogame package.
> >> I guess the japanese just gotta have their multiple cutscenes in a video
> >> game.
> >> I can't stand the 'press this button when prompted' cutscenes either.
> >> Why can't they forgo all cutscenes and make them in game real-time part
> >> of the gameplay ,similar to Half Life2. This is the big reason I don't
> >> like most japanese flavored games. If I wanted to sit and watch a movie
> >> I'll rent one. What a waste
>
> > And a badly dubbed, gibberish one at that... honestly, the MGS stories
> > are ludicrous. Completely kills the game for me.
>
> I hate everything japanese

I love sushi, Nintendo and censored Japanese porn.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 11:59:21 AM3/3/08
On Mar 2, 1:19 pm, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> "Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>
> news:e4Cyj.13$2m4....@weber.videotron.net...> jeremieba...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I hate everything japanese
>
> you hate ninjas?

Ninjas are cool. Samurai are pretty cool, too.

> and Godzilla?

A man in a rubber suit? No thanks.

> and sushi?

Not when you eat it off a naked Japanese woman.

> and manga?

Comic books are for kids.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 12:01:53 PM3/3/08
On Mar 2, 3:40 pm, Smelly socks <swam_mol...@jubii.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2 Mar, 18:19, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
>
> > "Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>
> >news:e4Cyj.13$2m4....@weber.videotron.net...> jeremieba...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>
> > > I hate everything japanese
>
> > you hate ninjas?
>
> Pirates are FAR better.

Only when they look like Keith Richards.

> > and Godzilla?
>
> That fish-eating XXXXL sized slimy git?

He eats fish? I thought he was just powered by the environmental
friendliness of the Japanese people (who think it's cool to hunt
whales to extinction so they can make whale ice cream).

> > and sushi?
>
> It's just uncooked meat.

Uncooked fish! Uncooked meat is disgusting.

> > and manga?
>
> Wanganum is better!

It's all crap.

GMAN

Mar 3, 2008, 12:08:59 PM3/3/08
In article <24e9d177-3078-48b7...@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, The alMIGHTY N <natl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On Mar 2, 3:40 pm, Smelly socks <swam_mol...@jubii.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 2 Mar, 18:19, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
>>
>> > "Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> >news:e4Cyj.13$2m4....@weber.videotron.net...> jeremieba...@yahoo.co.uk

>> > you hate ninjas?
>>
>> Pirates are FAR better.
>
>Only when they look like Keith Richards.
>
>> > and Godzilla?
>>
>> That fish-eating XXXXL sized slimy git?
>
>He eats fish? I thought he was just powered by the environmental
>friendliness of the Japanese people (who think it's cool to hunt
>whales to extinction so they can make whale ice cream).

Then they make weird sexual enhancing pills out of the powdered bones so that
the japanese men can feel taller and studlier than their 5'4" bodies allow
for.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 2:17:14 PM3/3/08

Sashimi, which is just sushi without the rice...

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 2:18:47 PM3/3/08
On Mar 3, 12:08 pm, glenz...@dontspammebro.xmission.com (GMAN) wrote:

The Japanese have some really weird tastes. I'm always bothered when I
see women who have weird teeth with giant front teeth, recessed teeth
next to those, and then gigantic incisors... but apparently, that's
sexy.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 2:35:01 PM3/3/08
On Mar 2, 2:00 pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This hasn't been positively confirmed yet. All that is there is, once
> again, a rumor site post of a bad translation interview. And it is
> dual-layer, you nitwit, not dual-sided. That is a big difference. It
> could be possible to go with a dual-layer, dual-sided release
> eventually for 100GB.

Game companies will never go for this since they wouldn't be able to
draw us those nice pictures on the discs anymore.

> It would still require flipping over the disc
> but it would still be less cumbersome than having to handle, keep
> track of, and swap a second disc.

You make it sound as if it's mentally challenging to swap discs. The
dudes behind Final Fantasy never had a problem spreading the wealth
over a few discs.

> I haven't seen anything that
> indicates the PS3 can't read triple-layer BD either.
>
> There has been no additional information regarding exactly what is
> taking up so much space, it could just as well be very high rez
> textures and high polygon count environments as well as uncompressed
> 7.1 audio.

The only problem with that theory is that it's clear from the high-def
videos shown from the game thus far that it doesn't have high polygon
count environments or high-resolution textures.

I, for one, would love to see a translation of the whole interview
instead of just three sentences. I tried running the article through
Google's translation function but the results were comical at best.

> The other factor is Kojima and the Metal Gear Solid series
> has always made every effort to use the in-game engine for the
> cutscenes, not "movies" as most shit-for-brains xflop fanbitches have
> been carrying on about. If these are lengthy, that would take a lot of
> asset space.

When you can't do anything but sit there and watch the characters
prattle on, it doesn't matter if it's pre-rendered or in-game... it
still sucks. This was one of the biggest complaints about previous
Metal Gear Solid games and it seems possible that it will be even
worse this time around.

> The pre-order bonus material includes a separate DVD with a
> compilation of the Metal Gear saga and the beta online MP. The MGS4
> final game disc probably contains all the final MP maps for the
> online, which take up a lot of space these days, and it probably has
> extras plus some kind of Home integration.

That's certainly a possibility. Doesn't anybody here know how to read
Japanese?

> The really significant news about this development is that DVD for
> games is on its death bed.

How do you figure? Final Fantasy games on the Playstation always came
on multiple discs. Lost Odyssey just came out on 4 discs.

Heavenly Sword could have easily been done with DVD as the storage
medium since it was just extra language tracks that were taking up
space.

A bunch of bloated cut scenes courtesy of Hideo Kojima is far from
proof that DVD is outdated as a storage medium.

> There are now PC games that come on one
> dual layer DVD but exceed 8.5 GB uncompressed to the hard drive.

I disagree with the people here who think installation for recent
games is bad. I'm more than willing to wait a little bit in order to
have better performance. I ripped almost every game to my modded Xbox
before playing so I wouldn't have to wait for all the damn loading...
and that drive was much faster than the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3.

> There
> are some PC games now coming on 2 DVD for the install. This means the
> content can't be uncompressed to stream directly from a DVD anymore.
> It is still working for some xflop 3-shitty games but they are so
> downgraded in resolution and texture resolution that they still fit.

Such as?

> But going ahead, the xflop 3-shitty version is going to look and play
> a lot crappier than everything except the Wii. Several developers are
> now openly stating the PS3 is the platform they will develop on and
> then make the inferior port to the xflop 3-shitty.

You're almost correct. Some developers are now openly stating that the
Playstation 3 will be the lead platform because it's relatively easy
to get the same quality and performance when porting to the Xbox 360
but not worth the trouble when porting to the Playstation 3.

This is definitely good news for Sony since most of these developers
were ready to just say "Screw the PS3 version" late last year.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 2:37:35 PM3/3/08
On Mar 2, 4:24 pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> xflop fanbitches am cry, Blig Merk am laugh and laugh and laugh,
> HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
>
> http://buyps3now.com/new-ps3-disc
>
> Hitachi Develops 100GB Blu-Ray Disk Compatible With PS3
> October 7, 2007
>
> Hitachi has just reported that their new 100GB Blu-Ray discs will be
> compatible with the Sony PS3. A firmware update will be required, but
> that is all that will be needed. Besides this being bragging rights
> over the XBox 360's HD-DVD format, which only holds 51GB, this is
> great news for game developers as it gives much headroom for future
> games. Even the first generation title, Resistance: Fall Of Man filled
> 16 of the 25GB available on a single layer Blu-Ray disc.

<snip>

It's kind of sad that even with all those uncompressed textures
filling up the Blu-Ray disc, Resistance still looked so ugly. The
sequel is looking better, for sure, but still not very "pretty."

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 3, 2008, 2:39:27 PM3/3/08

It would be nice if the content in question was actually game content
as opposed to 10 hours of cutscenes interspersed with about 1 hour of
actual gaming.

Watching cutscenes that are longer than the time spent gaming to get
to said cutscenes is not a high quality game experience.

Doug Jacobs

Mar 3, 2008, 3:50:02 PM3/3/08
In alt.games.video.xbox Blig Merk <blig...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://buyps3now.com/new-ps3-disc

> Hitachi Develops 100GB Blu-Ray Disk Compatible With PS3
> October 7, 2007

Well, that's good news. Maybe FFXIII will only need 5 or 6 discs now.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Doug Jacobs

Mar 3, 2008, 3:54:36 PM3/3/08
SHaKeY STeVe <shakey...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> How dare Kojima fill a whole 50gig disc with content...shame on him.
> And how dare he try to reach for the highest quality game experience
> possible. This is about as nonsensical a post as I've ever read...

50GB of game play - good.

50GB of cutscenes masquarading as a "game" - not so good.

Isn't Heavenly Sword something like 4 hours of cutscenes and 2 hours of
actual gameplay?

Nick Soapdish, Jr.

Mar 3, 2008, 8:40:26 PM3/3/08
> to said cutscenes is not a high quality game experience.- Hide quoted text -

What, you've played the game already?

Anyway, MGS3 had a lot of cutscenes......but it also had more gameplay
than cutscenes.

Why does everyone feel the need to engage in hyperbole?

khee mao

Mar 3, 2008, 9:36:08 PM3/3/08

<mordacp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Someone needs to inform this idiot the 360 doesn't have an HD-DVD
> drive for games.

and the HD-DVD add-on for movies has been entirely SHIT-CANNED.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 4, 2008, 9:24:08 AM3/4/08
On Mar 3, 9:36 pm, "khee mao" <a...@asdf.asdf> wrote:
> <mordacpreven...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

So anyone who KEEPS making this comparison is a complete idiot.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 4, 2008, 9:29:13 AM3/4/08

Nope, just mimicking the Sony fanboys and using history to predict the
future. However, at least there *is* a consistent history to go with
as opposed to the false notion that Kojima has reached "the highest
quality game experience possible" with any of his games after the
first Metal Gear Solid.

> Anyway, MGS3 had a lot of cutscenes......but it also had more gameplay
> than cutscenes.

Obviously I was using hyperbole to make a point. There was also more
gameplay than cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 2 but it sure as hell
didn't feel like it since it was pretty damn close.

> Why does everyone feel the need to engage in hyperbole?

That's just the way of the world, brother.

boodybandit

Mar 4, 2008, 11:45:34 AM3/4/08

"The alMIGHTY N" <natl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 3, 8:40 pm, "Nick Soapdish, Jr." <JGordon...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 3, 1:39 pm, The alMIGHTY N <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Nope, just mimicking the Sony fanboys and using history to predict the
> future.

Ok well then let's all quit arguing since (using this logic) Sony will sell
a 100+ million PS3's and MS will sell 30 million 360's.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 4, 2008, 1:51:26 PM3/4/08
On Mar 4, 11:45 am, "boodybandit" <allaboutga...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:2b2b57b6-2ccf-4715...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> > On Mar 3, 8:40 pm, "Nick Soapdish, Jr." <JGordon...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> On Mar 3, 1:39 pm, The alMIGHTY N <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Nope, just mimicking the Sony fanboys and using history to predict the
> > future.
>
> Ok well then let's all quit arguing since (using this logic) Sony will sell
> a 100+ million PS3's and MS will sell 30 million 360's.

That's exactly the inane PS3 fanboy logic I was trying to spoof. I've
heard the same old shit so many times - Sony sold so-and-so million
last time so they'll easily do it again. Hell, I've even heard some
idiots go so far as to claim that the Playstation 3 is following the
Playstation 2's sales track almost to a tee which is also wholly false.

boodybandit

Mar 4, 2008, 6:01:50 PM3/4/08

"The alMIGHTY N" <natl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

LOL!
I knew I would get you with that.

Honestly though?
I do believe Sony will hit the 100 million mark again.
Why? Because Sony will keep selling them until 2014 to 2016.
This is one thing that I really dig about Sony and wasn't so happy with MS
and Nintendo over. I just hope MS doesn't pull that shit again when they are
ready for their "Next Box".

Nick Soapdish, Jr.

Mar 4, 2008, 6:42:24 PM3/4/08

?

I'm not sure anybody except a few deluded fanboys would say that. As
far as I'm concerned, MGS4 could go either way, as MGS2 was just not
very good as more than a tech demo, while MGS3 was the Rambo emulator
I've wanted out of 3D games for years since the "death" of 2D gaming,
but never really got until then.

> > Anyway, MGS3 had a lot of cutscenes......but it also had more gameplay
> > than cutscenes.
>
> Obviously I was using hyperbole to make a point. There was also more
> gameplay than cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 2 but it sure as hell
> didn't feel like it since it was pretty damn close.

MGS2 couldn't have tried harder to sabotage the series (if it's
possible for a game to "try"). The game engine was good, but what was
done with it was not- endless wandering through light blue, gray and
orange metallic environments which all looked too similar, with
cutscenes thrown in almost randomly. I haven't bothered to finish it
yet, even though I've had it for over 5 and a half years.

> > Why does everyone feel the need to engage in hyperbole?
>

> That's just the way of the world, brother.- Hide quoted text -

Damn.

Blig Merk

Mar 4, 2008, 7:07:57 PM3/4/08
The alMIGHTY N wrote:
> idiots go so far as to claim that the Playstation 3 is following the
> Playstation 2's sales track almost to a tee which is also wholly false.

Wrong. Boy, you sure are dumb. Look at the sales chart below. The PS3
is now tracking the PS2 sales track almost exactly. It is just a plain
fact, you dope. Look at the chart, the blue line is the PS2 and the
red line is the PS3. They are not the exact same curve but the PS3
sales are now tracking the *historical* PS2 sales referenced to the
same time frame from launch. I know you are too stupid to understand
this chart but look at it anyway, nitwit.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/bligmerk/console-sales-70wk.jpg

Robert P Holley

Mar 5, 2008, 8:36:13 AM3/5/08

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/fotox/us-console-sales.png

Oops!

This chart shows the not only is the PS3 not tracking as well as the
PS2 did in the US, it is actually only tracking about as well as the
GC did (ouch!). Notice it's sold about 4 million less than the PS2 did
after the same time period (~14 months). Couple that with the
documented facts that the PS3 is doing worse in Japan and Europe than
the PS2 did, then I'd say it's safe to assume your "facts" are a joke.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 5, 2008, 10:24:15 AM3/5/08
On Mar 4, 6:01 pm, "boodybandit" <allaboutga...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1d5569c5-5e3a-4f5d...@13g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

> > On Mar 4, 11:45 am, "boodybandit" <allaboutga...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in
> >> messagenews:2b2b57b6-2ccf-4715...@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

> >> Ok well then let's all quit arguing since (using this logic) Sony will
> >> sell
> >> a 100+ million PS3's and MS will sell 30 million 360's.
>
> > That's exactly the inane PS3 fanboy logic I was trying to spoof. I've
> > heard the same old shit so many times - Sony sold so-and-so million
> > last time so they'll easily do it again. Hell, I've even heard some
> > idiots go so far as to claim that the Playstation 3 is following the
> > Playstation 2's sales track almost to a tee which is also wholly false.
>
> LOL!
> I knew I would get you with that.
>
> Honestly though?
> I do believe Sony will hit the 100 million mark again.
> Why? Because Sony will keep selling them until 2014 to 2016.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.

> This is one thing that I really dig about Sony and wasn't so happy with MS
> and Nintendo over. I just hope MS doesn't pull that shit again when they are
> ready for their "Next Box".

They likely won't have reason to. They're ahead in install base now.
Even if Sony catches up and surpasses them by the time the next
generation consoles are ready to hit, they won't be 80 million units
ahead and chip companies will be more than happy to keep supplying
components to a successful product.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 5, 2008, 10:34:57 AM3/5/08
On Mar 4, 7:07 pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You really should learn to read responses to your posts instead of
just tossing them up there and assuming that you're right all the
time. You've stated this point many times before and each and every
time I've corrected you. The last time, I even posted numbers from
Sony's own fucking corporate website that shows that you are full of
the rancid shit that you constantly spew from your mother's basement.

Here's the link again since you either psychologically blocked out the
information since it clearly, definitively and unarguably proved you
wrong, popped so many pills that your memory's shot and you don't
remember seeing it or are too damn stupid to understand the numbers.
My guess is that it's a combination of the three.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

By this time in the Playstation 2's life cycle, Sony had sold over 15
million units worldwide whereas right now Sony has sold 10.6 million
Playstation 3s worldwide. While my link above is for a chart that
shows "production shipments," I quite clearly remember the Playstation
2 being sold out in the United States only 7 months in and I'm sure it
was the same for Europe as well. If you're willing to argue that there
were 4.4 million Playstation 2s collecting dust on shelves around the
world only half a year after the Western launches, I'd love to hear
that argument and see the data.

Until then, shut the fuck up and go back to sucking on your momma's
titty you stupid piece of shit.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 5, 2008, 10:42:34 AM3/5/08

Thus, my reference to "mimicking the Sony fanboys."

> As
> far as I'm concerned, MGS4 could go either way, as MGS2 was just not
> very good as more than a tech demo, while MGS3 was the Rambo emulator
> I've wanted out of 3D games for years since the "death" of 2D gaming,
> but never really got until then.

I don't own and have never owned a Playstation 2 so I can't speak to
Metal Gear Solid 3 from personal experience, but everyone I know who
played it loved it. I don't know a single person who loved Metal Gear
Solid 2 and there are too many posts online from people who hated
various aspects of the game.

I played the Xbox version of Metal Gear Solid 2. I thought the
gameplay was decent - what little of it there was - but even then it
felt dated next to Splinter Cell (loose comparison since MGS is
supposedly a stealth action game). However, I had to sit and watch
cutscenes way too often.

> > > Anyway, MGS3 had a lot of cutscenes......but it also had more gameplay
> > > than cutscenes.
>
> > Obviously I was using hyperbole to make a point. There was also more
> > gameplay than cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 2 but it sure as hell
> > didn't feel like it since it was pretty damn close.
>
> MGS2 couldn't have tried harder to sabotage the series (if it's
> possible for a game to "try"). The game engine was good, but what was
> done with it was not- endless wandering through light blue, gray and
> orange metallic environments which all looked too similar, with
> cutscenes thrown in almost randomly. I haven't bothered to finish it
> yet, even though I've had it for over 5 and a half years.

I don't know if it's really worth finishing. The last battle was
hardly memorable and the storyline was convoluted and asinine for the
most part.

Private Private

Mar 5, 2008, 3:19:17 PM3/5/08
I remember clearly when the PS2 hit the shelves it was the hottest thing
since sliced bread and that furvor continued clearly far into it's
lifespan. The PS3 on the other hand took a quick nose-dive shortly after
it's release. You just can't make a valid argument that the PS3 is on
the same track as the PS2 ,the facts don't support it.

Robert P Holley

Mar 5, 2008, 3:38:05 PM3/5/08

It's not a matter of "if" but "when" the PS3 catches up to the X360.
That's no knock on the X360, it's just when you only sell in two
regions and your competitor sells in three regions it bound to catch
up to you. But you are correct when you say there won't be an 80
million unit lead anymore. Sony's insistence on pushing Blu-Ray made
sure of that.

Whether Sony is still selling the PS3 come 2016 like someone
suggested, has nothing to do with any "plans" Sony may have and
everything to do with the early success of the PS3. If the PS3 bombs
(in comparison to the PS2) and tops out at 50 million after five years
and developers stop making games for it to focus on the next
generation, Sony won't be selling the thing in 2014.

The reason the PS2 is still supported isn't because Sony chooses too,
it's because developers choose too. With such a large user base,
developers can still make money from it so Sony has a reason to keep
making them. If the PS3 only sees moderate success, and finishes
second or third then watch Sony drop it like a bad habit.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 5, 2008, 4:28:23 PM3/5/08

That doesn't have as much an impact as you think. The Xbox 360 may be
doing horribly in Japan but the hardware numbers there in general are
a pittance. Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 sales in North America are
routinely 400-500% those in Japan... and that's in a good week in
Japan.

The difference in weekly worldwide console sales is not that big when
you look at the distance the Playstation 3 needs to traverse. Even if
Sony enjoys some a big boost with the release of Metal Gear Solid 4,
it would still take them until at least late 2009 if not 2010 or
beyond to just catch up to the Xbox 360.

> Whether Sony is still selling the PS3 come 2016 like someone
> suggested, has nothing to do with any "plans" Sony may have and
> everything to do with the early success of the PS3. If the PS3 bombs
> (in comparison to the PS2) and tops out at 50 million after five years
> and developers stop making games for it to focus on the next
> generation, Sony won't be selling the thing in 2014.

No argument there.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 5, 2008, 4:29:01 PM3/5/08

I guess you can't blame him for trying. Sony's success is his whole
life, after all.

elr...@pop.uky.edu

Mar 5, 2008, 4:31:58 PM3/5/08
On Mar 4, 6:01 pm, "boodybandit" <allaboutga...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I do believe Sony will hit the 100 million mark again.
> Why? Because Sony will keep selling them until 2014 to 2016.

Buy then any self-respecting gamer will long ago have moved on to the
Xbox 720. Sales beyond a console's generational life cycle (when it's
being sold for next-to-nothing and pales in comparison to the new
generation) are pretty meaningless (since people who buy them are
usually cheap bastards who buy used games at yard sales or whose old
system just konked out on them). I'm sure you could probably still
move Atari 2600's if you sold them for $10 a pop in the bargain bin.
That doesn't mean anyone is going to develop for Atari again.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 5, 2008, 4:35:31 PM3/5/08
On Mar 5, 3:38 pm, Robert P Holley <holle...@delanet.com> wrote:

I have to say that one thing I find amusing is how none of the PS3
fanboys want to talk about the software side of things, instead
focusing on how the sales of the systems themselves, which Blig even
agrees is nothing compared to the sales of software, is doing better
now.

Even with the Xbox 360 being pretty much a non-factor in one of the
three uber-regions, sales of its software is absolutely wrecking sales
of the Playstation 3's.

Without factoring in Japan's 27,041 and Europe's 220,312, the Xbox 360
still outsold the Playstation 3 in terms of software by almost 200k in
the week prior to last. That's just North American 360 sales against
the world for the PS3.

Ethan Hammond

Mar 6, 2008, 3:06:53 AM3/6/08
I wonder if MGS4 will actually have more dialouge than
GTA4. I think Kojima he makes with the hype, HYPE!

--
All Purpose Culture Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Ethan Hammond

Mar 6, 2008, 3:07:21 AM3/6/08
"khee mao" <as...@asdf.asdf> wrote in message

> "Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message
>> jeremi...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>>
>> I hate everything japanese
> you hate ninjas?
>
> and Godzilla?
>
> and sushi?
>
> and manga?

And catgirls!
Hating catgirls is mostly a sin, mostly!

Doug Jacobs

Mar 6, 2008, 1:30:28 PM3/6/08
Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> And catgirls!
> Hating catgirls is mostly a sin, mostly!

Are catgirls truly a Japanese creation though? What about the various
actresses playing Catwoman from the 60s Batman show? Catgirl or not?

Doug Jacobs

Mar 6, 2008, 1:50:39 PM3/6/08
boodybandit <allabo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Honestly though?
> I do believe Sony will hit the 100 million mark again.
> Why? Because Sony will keep selling them until 2014 to 2016.
> This is one thing that I really dig about Sony and wasn't so happy with MS
> and Nintendo over. I just hope MS doesn't pull that shit again when they are
> ready for their "Next Box".

Even if Sony continues to sell the PS3 well into the next decade, I still
have a hard time believing they'll break 100mil. Wouldn't that mean
they'd have to basically have to sell around 10mil consoles this year, and
every year afterwards? At that rate, they would indeed overtake the 360
(at its current sell-thru rate) somewhere between late 2008 and early 2009.

That would be quite an accomplishment.

Doug Jacobs

Mar 6, 2008, 4:35:43 PM3/6/08

This is especially true when you look at the mainstream media's coverage
of the PS2 vs. the PS3. For the PS2, the mainstream media was just as
excited as Sony was, even when it was clear the journalist had no idea WHY
he should be excited. They were just excited about it. However, after
the PS3 launched, many mainstream journalists slammed the PS3, mainly
claiming it was just too expensive, and an overall "disappointment".
That's basically the complete opposite of how they reviewed the PS2.
Maybe blig was reading The Bizzaro New York Times or something.

Blig Merk

Mar 6, 2008, 9:27:04 PM3/6/08
It is mildly amusing and mostly nauseating that this thread was
started by a xflop fanbitch as a veiled intimation that Blu-ray dual
layer 50GB limits were already being reached, therefore in typical
illogical xflop fanbitch twisted reasoning, spelling some impending
doom for the PS3, despite DVD dual layer for games only having a 8.5GB
maximum.

Then when it is pointed out that a 100GB Blu-ray multi-layer format
already exists and confirmed that it is compatible with the PS3 with a
firmware upgrade, the subject topic is immediately derailed into first
a series of racial attacks against the Japanese, then the subject
twisted once again to how much loathing of cinematic cutscenes there
was among xflop fanbitch loyalists, despite Lost Odyssey and Blue
Dragon being on multiple DVD's with long cinematic cutscene movies,
not even using the in-game engine like Metal Gear Solid 4 uses.

From there, the subject is once again changed by the twisted, diseased
miniscule minds of the core xflop fanbitches into some connection with
console sales numbers in general and how that related to the PS2
sales.

Seriously, you xflop fanbitches are morons, idiots and just plain
psycho-schizo mentally disturbed that don't make any rational sense at
all.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 7, 2008, 6:15:01 PM3/7/08
On Mar 6, 10:27 pm, Blig Merk <blig_m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It is mildly amusing and mostly nauseating that this thread was
> started by a xflop fanbitch as a veiled intimation that Blu-ray dual
> layer 50GB limits were already being reached, therefore in typical
> illogical xflop fanbitch twisted reasoning, spelling some impending
> doom for the PS3, despite DVD dual layer for games only having a 8.5GB
> maximum.

You should reread Andre Matuch's original post. His point was that
Konami had gone in the wrong direction with Metal Gear Solid 4 by
producing a game that had so many cutscenes (he assumed that was what
was taking up all the room) that even the 50Gb size of a Blu-Ray disc
was not enough to contain everything Kojima wanted in the game.

> Then when it is pointed out that a 100GB Blu-ray multi-layer format
> already exists

You mean your post where you're cackling and saying people "am cry?"
Do you expect anyone to take anything you say seriously and respond in
a thoughtful manner when you spew like an idiot?

> and confirmed that it is compatible with the PS3 with a
> firmware upgrade, the subject topic is immediately derailed into first
> a series of racial attacks against the Japanese,

You really need to work on your timelines. The attacks on the Japanese
occurred wholly independent of your post about 100Gb Blu-Ray discs.

> then the subject
> twisted once again to how much loathing of cinematic cutscenes there
> was among xflop fanbitch loyalists, despite Lost Odyssey and Blue
> Dragon being on multiple DVD's with long cinematic cutscene movies,
> not even using the in-game engine like Metal Gear Solid 4 uses.

So basically you're equating about 10 posts in the thread to the
entire thread? I don't remember any of the 2 or 3 people who posted
hatred for long cinematic cutscene movies posting that they liked Lost
Odyssey and Blue Dragon in other threads.

Further, it's not a hatred of cutscenes in general... just TONS of
LONG cutscenes. Having not played Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (and
with no intention to play either game) I couldn't say whether those
two games have TONS of LONG cutscenes.

> From there, the subject is once again changed by the twisted, diseased
> miniscule minds of the core xflop fanbitches into some connection with
> console sales numbers in general and how that related to the PS2
> sales.

The part about sales numbers was an aside brought on by my spoofing of
your typical idiot posts. You can thank yourself for that little bit.

> Seriously, you xflop fanbitches are morons, idiots and just plain
> psycho-schizo mentally disturbed that don't make any rational sense at
> all.

Says the guy who constantly posts "xflop bitches am cry" and "blig
merk am laugh."

In other words, you're a stupid fuck, end of discussion.

Nick Soapdish, Jr.

Mar 7, 2008, 7:15:17 PM3/7/08

Actually, Andre Matuch WAS being hypocritical in saying how unfairly
Lost Odyssey was being treated, and praising the game in general, when
it's a VERY Japanese RPG in style- the same kind of game he always
claimed to detest. Oddly enough, he did have a point, though, in that
the game was simply being slammed for "not being innovative", when not
all games need to innovate. Lost Odyssey was clearly meant to be a
throwback to the 1997-2002 era of turn-based RPGs, for those who
either are fans of that style, or who, as stereotyped "Xbox shooter
dudes", never bothered with JRPGs and wanted to try something new to
them.

> Further, it's not a hatred of cutscenes in general... just TONS of
> LONG cutscenes. Having not played Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (and
> with no intention to play either game) I couldn't say whether those
> two games have TONS of LONG cutscenes.
>
> > From there, the subject is once again changed by the twisted, diseased
> > miniscule minds of the core xflop fanbitches into some connection with
> > console sales numbers in general and how that related to the PS2
> > sales.
>
> The part about sales numbers was an aside brought on by my spoofing of
> your typical idiot posts. You can thank yourself for that little bit.
>
> > Seriously, you xflop fanbitches are morons, idiots and just plain
> > psycho-schizo mentally disturbed that don't make any rational sense at
> > all.
>
> Says the guy who constantly posts "xflop bitches am cry" and "blig
> merk am laugh."
>
> In other words, you're a stupid fuck, end of discussion.

Blig Merk am doofus.

Private Private

Mar 7, 2008, 11:53:20 PM3/7/08
I personally don't like any JRPG on any console. That doesn't mean they
suck. But I would like to see JRPG branch out of the 'cutscene' heavy
titles and focus on gameplay. I would like to see a JRPG without one
single cutscene and instead have the entire story develop real-time
while your playing. Why japanese developers have such a fondness for
cutscenes is beyond me. I thought the entire purpose of playing a video
game is just that 'playing',not just watching.
That's why I didn't even consider games like Blu Dragon and Lost Odyysey
,etc. Because I don't like the gameplay mechanics and the heavy cutscene
usage.

Andre Matuch

Mar 8, 2008, 12:08:37 AM3/8/08

> You should reread Andre Matuch's original post. His point was that
> Konami had gone in the wrong direction with Metal Gear Solid 4 by
> producing a game that had so many cutscenes (he assumed that was what
> was taking up all the room) that even the 50Gb size of a Blu-Ray disc
> was not enough to contain everything Kojima wanted in the game.

Thank you for reading :)

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 10, 2008, 10:44:37 AM3/10/08

I do recall what you said below ("not being innovative" reference) but
I don't remember him praising the game. Must have missed that one...

> Oddly enough, he did have a point, though, in that
> the game was simply being slammed for "not being innovative", when not
> all games need to innovate. Lost Odyssey was clearly meant to be a
> throwback to the 1997-2002 era of turn-based RPGs, for those who
> either are fans of that style, or who, as stereotyped "Xbox shooter
> dudes", never bothered with JRPGs and wanted to try something new to
> them.

While I'm glad that games like this exist on the Xbox 360 to provide
more variety and attract people who are interested in JRPG fare, I
personally can't stand the crap. I guess I'm pretty close to the
stereotypical "Xbox shooter dude," I really never bothered much with
JRPGs but I have absolutely no interest in trying these out.

I keep telling myself that I'll try Final Fantasy on the PS3 when it
arrives next year but I realistically doubt that I'll do that. I just
can't get past all the typical JRPG cliches you find in every game.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 10, 2008, 10:45:21 AM3/10/08
On Mar 8, 1:08 am, "Andre Matuch" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> "The alMIGHTY N" <natle...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:2123255a-8db9-4e95...@13g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

> > You should reread Andre Matuch's original post. His point was that
> > Konami had gone in the wrong direction with Metal Gear Solid 4 by
> > producing a game that had so many cutscenes (he assumed that was what
> > was taking up all the room) that even the 50Gb size of a Blu-Ray disc
> > was not enough to contain everything Kojima wanted in the game.
>
> Thank you for reading :)

I try every once in a while. ;-)

Doug Jacobs

Mar 10, 2008, 3:59:08 PM3/10/08

I think the problem here is that such games get lumped into "RPGs" when
they're not quite that. After all, a true RPG would give you more control
over your character and decisions. Someone described a JRPG as a movie
with some various mini-games tacked onto it. That's a bit harsh, but also
a pretty accurate description as well. A JRPG already knows the story
it's going to tell, and what characters it's going to use, etc. In that
sense, it's more like a book, or a movie which has a fixed, constant
narrative. At the same time, there's the combat, exploration, and
whatever other things the developers decided to throw in, but they don't
have any real impact on the fixed story. For instance, nothing you do in
FFVII on disc 1 can prevent Aeris from dying - even though your characters
are carrying gobs of items that restore hitpoints, or even ressurect a
dead character.

The alMIGHTY N

Mar 11, 2008, 11:11:56 AM3/11/08

In that sense, no game ever made is a true RPG and it will probably be
a long time before we see one. For a game to really fit within that
description, it would have to be able to change every aspect of every
plot point in "the future" after each choice you make based on said
choice.