A question from my son on game boy advance

jacqueline wright

Dec 1, 2003, 11:00:22 AM12/1/03
Is it possible to make Game Boy Advance as back-lit.

alexander.

daverutt

Dec 2, 2003, 8:00:07 AM12/2/03
wrigh...@hotmail.com (jacqueline wright) wrote in message news:<247fc43a.03120...@posting.google.com>...

> Is it possible to make Game Boy Advance as back-lit.
>
> alexander.

yes but it involves taking it apart and a bit of soldering to do it.

It's called the afterburner and there's information on it here
http://tinyurl.com/xcl6

though i expect you can send it away to be done if you want

Gavern

Dec 3, 2003, 2:32:00 AM12/3/03
> Is it possible to make Game Boy Advance as back-lit.
>
> alexander.

As posted earlier, the Afterburner kit is what you are after...... Or sell
the GBA and trade up to an SP.

The standard afterburner requires a little bit of cutting away at the front
cover and an installation of a tiny potentiometer or IC chip to vary the
light's brightness (Not sure if the SP has varying screen brightness). To
make things easier, I installed an afterburner into my son's GBA with a kit
from www.lik-sang.com that includes a new cover (already cut to suit PLUS
dimmer dial installed). The results are stunning....!!

BUT it does suck the batteries quickly - so either get some NiMh rechargable
or check out the batter charger (Alkaline, Carbon Cells, RAM etc..) from
www.rezap.com

Cheers,
Gavern

daverutt

Dec 3, 2003, 10:05:11 AM12/3/03
hards...@lycos.co.uk (daverutt) wrote in message news:<eee8c76c.03120...@posting.google.com>...

doh that link doesn't work

try here http://www.gameboy-advance.net/accessories and click on GBA
afterburner for more info :)

Steve M

Dec 3, 2003, 11:02:29 PM12/3/03
hards...@lycos.co.uk (daverutt) wrote in message news:<eee8c76c.03120...@posting.google.com>...

Actuallly, the answer is no. The afterburner (like the SP) is *FRONT* lit.

Nick Vargish

Dec 3, 2003, 11:32:34 PM12/3/03
dr_...@yahoo.com (Steve M) writes:

> Actuallly, the answer is no. The afterburner (like the SP) is *FRONT* lit.

Nintendo refers to it as "side-lit" in all the literature I've
seen. That's actually a pretty accurate description of how both
lighting systems work.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Urinalmynt

Dec 4, 2003, 8:57:45 PM12/4/03
Trade the GBA in at EBgames and get a Gameboy Advance SP for $70.....there
all the heartache of busting your screen while trying to fit the afterburner
in is taken care of and you're the proud owner of an engineering
masterpiece.

End of story
"jacqueline wright" <wrigh...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Jay

Dec 11, 2003, 1:35:19 AM12/11/03
i would definately consider the gba halo light (
http://www.gbahalo.com ) as it does NOT need any internal soldering or
even opening of the GBA itself. You just replace the lens with this
front lit lens and it works GREAT! I installed mine in about 15
minutes. I actually was going to get the afterburner until a friend
bought it and messed up his GBA soldering in wires, etc.. so I
searched for an alternative front light, and this was the only one I
came up. Just a bright and beautiful as a GBA SP or a GBA with
afteburner, without having to spend a $100.00 bucks on a new GBA SP,
and without having to basically rip apart my GBA. Only cost me $34.95
at the time, but having just checked the site, it is now about $10.00
less.

Just my opinion, but highly recommend this item.