what are the minimun sys requirement for unreal?

Ashley Nugent

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99

Evil Cartman

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
I'd have to say a 300 MHz + system with minimum of 64 megs of ram and a
Voodoo2 or Voodoo3, maybe a TNT or TNT2 if the next patch turns out good
(personal opinion anyway)

Ashley Nugent <ashley...@ozemail.net.au> wrote in message

B&B

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
Of course, Mr Cartman is known as something of a perfectionist! ;-)

In reality, it depends a lot on how demanding your standards are and
whether you can enjoy playing under difficult conditions. For instance,
some of the German and Scandinavian contributors to this newsgroup play
Unreal on machines that they have roughly hewn from pieces of wood they
have found lying around!

I tend to agree with Cartman but you *can* run it reasonably well on lesser
systems down to 200 MHz/32 MB with some kind of decent 3D accelerator card.
I wouldn't enjoy playing it, though, until I was using something like Evil
Cartman suggests. Cheers - BB

Evil Cartman <nvls...@Mdcsi.net> wrote in message

Evil Cartman

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
Me a perfectionist? hehehehe wow thanks for the kind words ;) but it's not
true I tell ya hehehe

B&B <bunmohNOSP...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Granny The Great

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
My grandchildren have it running on a P166 (no mmx) 32 mg ram 2mg Video.
After playing on mine, AMD k6 2 350, 64 mg, 16 mg Banshee, to me it stinks.
They like their's just fine.

GTG

--
Windows: A 32 bit extension and graphical shell,
for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system, originally

Doug

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
300 MHz PII minimum? Nonsense. I run Unreal on a PPro 180, with a Voodoo2
12mb. Granted, I can't get 60fps with all options turned on, but with
selective changing of the graphics settings I can get 35+ fps.

Evil Cartman wrote in message <92372827...@news.remarQ.com>...

>I'd have to say a 300 MHz + system with minimum of 64 megs of ram and a
>Voodoo2 or Voodoo3, maybe a TNT or TNT2 if the next patch turns out good
>(personal opinion anyway)

Evil Cartman

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
Hey did you read the last bit of my post????????? "(personal opinion
anyway)" It's not f**king nonsense, it's an opinion on what it takes to run
Unreal well, taking into consideration of using a TNT. PII 333 with a TNT I
can only get 37 FPS in 640x480 while you with your Voodoo2 can live with a
lower 180 mhz made for crunching tons of numbers can get 35+ and at what
res?

Doug <Do...@noemail.please.ca> wrote in message

Doug

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
Yep, I read it. And it's my personal opinion that your personal opinion is
nonsense. Some people who post here, asking about minimum system
requirements for Unreal, may see your "opinion" and think they shouldn't buy
it because they're not running anything close to a 300MHz PII. You
shouldn't even be mentioning Voodoo3 or TNT2, because the person was asking
for "minimum system requirements".

Someone who wants to play Unreal with a low end pc isn't going to be running
a Voodoo3 or TNT2. Hell, Unreal is a year old...you don't need a Voodoo3 or
TNT2 to run it at an acceptable frame rate. They want to know what is the
minimum they can run Unreal with and not get a slide show. This would
probably be a P200MMX, 32mb ram, and Voodoo2. It won't run fast, but it
will run.

The PPro 180 is a little different. One thing that helps alot is the 256k
of on-chip cache that runs at the clock speed of the cpu. Its design is
more suited for NT4, but I haven't tried Unreal on that. I can get 35+ at
800x600, but I have to turn off some things like volumetric lighting and
coronas. But I'll be the first to admit the PPro is outdated. For Unreal,
a Celeron 300a, overclocked to 450, can run circles around it.

Evil Cartman

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
well I'll I have to say is blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Doug <Do...@noemail.please.ca> wrote in message

Evil Cartman

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
Oh BTW The people can look on the damn box or go to the Unreal
website for minimum system requirements if they don't like what I've
posted.

John&Lesley

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
If I could defuse this a bit.......

1) I agree with Cartman. For good play under all conditions P2-300/v2 is
about as low as you can go. My Celery 374/voodoo2 does slow down into
slideshow in certain conditions (like when I'm jumped by about 8 players at
once - really helps I can tell you:-))

2) I agree with Doug, that the MINIMUM requirements for actually loading up
and playing the game are very different. P166/16Mb, or something. One of our
clan has such a machine, though, but he has stopped playing because of the
poor performance.

3) Dougs Pentium Pro is a tad different from most machines out there. The
Pentium Pros were stupidly expensive, as were the motherboards which
supported them. As such it is not a typical gaming machine. The PPro's had
also a VERY, VERY good performance in FPS shooters - they are comparable to,
if not competitive with, the P2's. A PPro 233/266 (oc) would still be a very
good gaming machine now.

As to your incipiant row, I think it is to do with the expectations and the
tolerance of the player. I personally thought that I got good performance
out of my old 266MMX/96Mb/Voodoo1/33.6 Modem - I reckoned I had little lag,
and good gameplay.

Now, with my present computer, and experiencing this, I would not wish to
play with less than a P2-300, and if someone was going to buy a machine for
3D gaming then this is what I would reccommend as a minimum.

Cartman probably has a good machine - P2-450 or similar, and his minimum
requirements are a P2-300 (similar to mine).

Doug has a PPro 180, which is also a very good machine, however one out of
the normal run of things. If I was reccommending a machine, then I would not
think of a PPro, as they are difficult to get hold of, and very expensive.
However equally Doug will be used to (and will accept) a lower framerate
than Cartman.

Hence their reccommendations for minimum requirements will be different.

Remember - you are both regular contributors to the NG and we can do without
ANOTHER flame war:-))))

John <pouringoil>

Evil Cartman

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
Wooohoooo! you defused the firebomb hehehe
Actually I only have a 333 mhz ;) but do plan on getting a P2 450 soon :)

John&Lesley <John&Les...@horsforth.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Malcolm Lavery

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
I had a Dragon 32 puter, will that run Unreal???

Malcolm Lavery - aka Streaker

Give a man a bone, and he`ll look at you strange,
Give a man a skeleton, and he`ll call the police.

Evil Cartman

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
only if you have a hampster running in his wheel

Malcolm Lavery <mal...@pixelfx.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Ralthor

Apr 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/12/99
What? To feed the dragon? ;-)

--
Ralthor[Co30]
Unreal FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Code/8263/ufaq.html

Evil Cartman <nvls...@Mdcsi.net> wrote in message

Mudfish

Apr 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/13/99
"Minimum requirements"

As fast as you can get your hands on, but at least a 200MMX
or better. Lotsa ram makes a BIG difference, a voodooII will
make a bigger difference.

I am running a 200MMX with 96 meg, 8 meg Millenium I video
card (best 2d card ever IMHO) with a VoodooII 12 meg 3d
card driving a Mag Dx17. SBlive value for sound and a Zoom
2819 56Kflex modem flashed to V90. I connect at 48K.

I run windows 95 V4.00.950A with service pack and all the
updates.
Its quite stable, and playable. You need to find all the little
tricks
to squeeze every last frame out of a low end machine (timedemo 1
at 20.8 FPS @800X600 high detail) it takes some work, but it can
be done.

It doesn't roar, but its acceptable for single play (bogs a bit
in
a room full of Skaarj) and a tad better online as you provide the
"AI"
so the processor is not loaded so hard. With a 200MMX the voodoo
II basically idles, but I got a couple extra fans in there to
keep
things cool anyhow.

UT will probably force me into a new machine.... probably a
PII450
and another voodooII 12 to SLI with my original one. heheh.. at
least
UT will let me justify the upgrade to "she who commands"...
{probly
cost me a new car for her or somthin}.

See you in the Hole!

Mudfish{Co30-US}

Charter Member of "Curmudgeons Unlimited"!
"And if you don't like it - You can be one too!"
ICQ 894410
www.ctel.net/~mudfish
Co30 Homepage @ www.grim.clara.net/

<despam @ if replying Email>