My quest for GM lockpicking

Adam Russell

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

I've been trying to get up to 100 in lockpicking and got stalled at 97.4.
So I started a new character and devoted him to only lockpick training. I
found that I could no longer pick that large chest that my other character
found so easy. I failed every time, till I got him over 70. Then I
succeeded every time. So I guess this means that there are higher levels of
difficulty chest-wise. Is there anything higher than a large chest but
lower than an NPC house (which apparently takes 100)?

Edward Lopez

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98

To tell you the truth, I had no Idea that there was actually a good use
for lockpicking. I mean, you cant get into houses, and I really don't see
too many locked chests. I guess it could be a useful skill in conjunction
with stealing someones house keys, but most places I have robbed, had no
locked chests OR trapped ones for that matter. I certainly dont have the
patience to devote a character to it.

Fill me in... I am curious what a person with the lockpicking skill does
on UO, other than just open chests.

--
E. Isaac Lopez

lope...@uidaho.edu
Go Broncos!

Bruce Bettis

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Visit a dungeon. If you survive the PKs and get to hang out a few minutes,
you'll find lots of locked chests.
Of course, since 99% of PCs can cast unlock, lockpicking still isn't much
use.

uo_loc...@mindspring.com

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

> > difficulty chest-wise. Is there anything higher than a large chest but
> > lower than an NPC house (which apparently takes 100)?
>
> To tell you the truth, I had no Idea that there was actually a good use
> for lockpicking. I mean, you cant get into houses, and I really don't see
> too many locked chests. I guess it could be a useful skill in conjunction
> with stealing someones house keys, but most places I have robbed, had no
> locked chests OR trapped ones for that matter. I certainly dont have the
> patience to devote a character to it.
>
> Fill me in... I am curious what a person with the lockpicking skill does
> on UO, other than just open chests.
>
> --
> E. Isaac Lopez

Well first of all I have never heard of being able to pick NPC houses at 100
course I don't know where any NPC locked houses are to check this out. But I
would imagine that is not true.

Also locked chests vary by the skill of the tinker that created the locked
chest so if you get one from a GM Tinker then you got about the best you can
get.

As for other then just open chests.... That is about it! :> Can't unlock
anything else I would like to see origin add something for the lockpicking
skill I have a Chracter that I got durring the GM in a day era near the
beggining of the final. Made it to Gm lockpicking in one day.. Server crashed
of course they fixed it the next day so I was left with 99.2. I spend about 5
hours macroing a month or so ago and got another .1, 99.3 and thus is where I
sit for now. When I started this character I wanted to make him a GM
Locksmith. He didn't even have stealing or snooping... Since OSI basicly
killed the skill I am not working on this chracter being a GM alchemist and
he dabbles a little in Stealing and snooping. So far he is up to about 81
alchemy.. I keep him up at 99.3 to keep the skill high in the hopes one day
OSI will change the game to make lockpicking a usefull skill again.

Red Beard...
Former Pirate

William Robinson

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

theres a locked secret door at the bottom of either deceit or
hythloth, in the fire elemental room. try picking it a few hundred times.
again, i dont know that it'll work, but its worth a shot.

"Just remember, no matter how good looking she is...
Someone, Somewhere, is sick of her shit!!!"
-Anonymous Mensroom Poet (1996)

billy

William Watlington

Jul 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/16/98
Have you tried various qualities of tinkered locks on chests? It is my
understanding that the quality of the lock, and thus the difficulty in which
to pick the lock, is dependant on the skill of the tinker/carpenter who made
the chest.

Might be worth a try to find a gm or master tinker to make a chest for you.

If your on Catskill let me know, and I will make you a chest to practice on.