Questions

1 view

JAK

May 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/25/00
I am thinking about trying UO, but I was wondering what is the newest
version of it? Is it Renaissance? Also, what is the difference between the
newest version and the others?

Also, I've got a cable modem and a good computer, how is the lag? Is it
still horrid like I heard a year ago or not? Also, how is the PKing? Is
there any refuge from it?

Thanks.

Richard Holness

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
I've had Ultima for almost two years now, but after a bout 6 months of not
playing I've started getting that twitch again. Well I used to have a master
mage on Atlantic, but that's basically unplayable now, so I've started over
on Europa. Now I've been trying to keep up with the patches and updates but
I need updating on a few things if anyone can help.

1) What is PowerHour I keep hearing on this message board?
2) Can anyone give me a rough guide on the prices that coloured ingots
should be sold for?
3) Why has blacksmithy got easier all of a sudden on the Trammel facet? I
don't know what stuff to make for max skill gain now.
4) Okay, I want to start a new mage char. My old one on Atlantic had Magery,
Resist, Eval, Med, Archery, Tactics and Healing. What skills are best for a
pure mage? I've heard something about Inscription being good for a mage?!?

Well hopefully someone will be able to answer some, or all :) of these
questions. Also I'm interested in joining a guild on Europa, so if anyone's
recruiting out there I'd be happy to hear from you.

Richard (Valdin Pyros)
bong...@btinternet.com

Richard Holness

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00

Miles Osborne

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Well I've just purchased Ultima Online the second age and the game
automatically upgraded itself to renaissance. On a 56K modem this took
less than 1/2 hour.

As you might be able to get the second age for a knock down price (I
did!) I would suggest following this route. The Renaissance manual is
available online and is not that different from the second age manual.

Miles

In article <jEiX4.93843$hT2.3...@news1.rdc1.ct.home.com>, JAK
<do...@email.mee> writes

--
Miles Osborne mailto:m...@mados.fsnet.co.uk
Southampton Miles....@btinternet.com

Black_BarTT

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Sory to hear you left atlantic for the far shores! Oh well, lets get
busy....
"Richard Holness" <bong...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> I've had Ultima for almost two years now, but after a bout 6 months of not
> playing I've started getting that twitch again. Well I used to have a
master
> mage on Atlantic, but that's basically unplayable now, so I've started
over
> on Europa. Now I've been trying to keep up with the patches and updates
but
> I need updating on a few things if anyone can help.
>
> 1) What is PowerHour I keep hearing on this message board?
First hour logged on per character, after midnight eastern time. Each
character gets one, and it renews at midnight eastern time each night!

> 2) Can anyone give me a rough guide on the prices that coloured ingots
> should be sold for?

Why sell ingots? Get gm smith to make armor for free if you provide ingots,
tip him well, sell the armor!
Anyway, on atlantic, i think its basically 5 per iron, advancing about 2
gold per color up the chart, excluding green and blue. Those im not sure of.

> 3) Why has blacksmithy got easier all of a sudden on the Trammel facet? I
> don't know what stuff to make for max skill gain now.

It hasnt. It got easier, period! The stratics guide has been updated, check
it out.

> 4) Okay, I want to start a new mage char. My old one on Atlantic had
Magery,
> Resist, Eval, Med, Archery, Tactics and Healing. What skills are best for
> pure mage? I've heard something about Inscription being good for a mage?!?

Inscription will help against mind blast, I think is the plan, not sure if
it is in, its a PVP thing, but its good for making runebooks. My mage (on
atlantic btw) has magery, resist, med, eval, archery, tacs, anat,
inscription. GM in magery, eval, archery, tacs, 80 resist, med, 90
inscription, and only 27 in anat right now, but will eventually drop
inscription after house placing and i make about 100 rune books, then will
GM all 7 other skills. I made a GM archer, tacs, anat, with 80 str and 85
dex on test, using a gm bow, and WOW! Hits damn hard, and DAMN fast!

Richard Holness

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
I've had Ultima for almost two years now, but after a bout 6 months of not
playing I've started getting that twitch again. Well I used to have a master
mage on Atlantic, but that's basically unplayable now, so I've started over
on Europa. Now I've been trying to keep up with the patches and updates but
I need updating on a few things if anyone can help.

1) Can anyone give me a rough guide on the prices that coloured ingots
should be sold for?
2) Why has blacksmithy got easier all of a sudden on the Trammel facet? I

don't know what stuff to make for max skill gain now.

3) Okay, I want to start a new mage char. My old one on Atlantic had Magery,

Resist, Eval, Med, Archery, Tactics and Healing. What skills are best for a
pure mage? I've heard something about Inscription being good for a mage?!?

Well hopefully someone will be able to answer some, or all :) of these

questions. Also I'm interested in joining a guild on Europa, so if anyone's
recruiting out there I'd be happy to hear from you.

Richard (Valdin Pyros, Europa)
bong...@btinternet.com

Arathief

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
I can answer a few of these questions, although I just reactivated my account
after it was idle 6 months as well. I asked mostly the same questions, I talked
with a counselor about them for an HOUR STRAIGHT.
Most important thing to know, is that there are 2 worlds now, (dark facet and
light facet) trammel and feluccia. You can travel between these worlds using
stones, that you can find easily on a monsters body somewhere. You double click
on the stone, and a gate opens up to the parallel world. Almost everything is
the same about your character; skills, stats, possessions, except the rules are
totally different.
The rules of the dark facet are basically what used to be the regular rules
of the world, with quite a few changes though. The dark facet has alot stronger
monsters than the other, alot of towns are in ruins, due to monster attacks,
and lord british has died. That world is more for veteran players, as PKing is
allowed, as well as other rules changed in favor of thieves, murderers etc...
thats the place to go for bad karma, or for great karma. If you want bad karma,
just hang around and do bad stuff. You arent flagged for a long enough time,
and it is very easy for criminals to get away with things due to the lack of
guards.
But, if you want good karma, you could just as easily go there and kill
everyone you find, and gain alot of karma due to the fact that their karma is
bad. I find that I need to go there alot because there are more difficult
monsters there, and I would rather fight off harder creatures than ettins and
orc mages (which are really the hardest monster you can find outside of
dungeons, except for rare monsters like gargoyles and such every once in a blue
moon) all day long, like elementals, and golems, knights etc...I gain no karma
or fame anymore from almost all the creatures that are common in the light
facet.
For a new char, I would definitely train on the light facet. Lord british
is still ruling, and so is blackthorn and you cannot attack another player
without their consent. Alot of players like this because it eliminates PKing. I
hated getting PKed when I first started, but I love the thrill of killing a PK,
or of just battling one. Plus it is also more like the real world. Other rules
such as, the one who deals the most damage to a monster, gets most of the fame
and karma, no one except the person who killed a monster may loot the corpse
(eliminates passers by who would steal your loot).
You are also flagged a criminal for a much longer time, and the law is alot
stricter. You wont find any monsters that would really overwhelm you in the
light facet, (except for the huge spawns where 4 orcs, 2 orc lords, an orcish
mage and an ettin spawn out of nowhere while you are low on hp), most people
are good and have good karma, as good karma is more rewarded there, and looking
at someones title will tell you accurately whether you can trust them or not
most of the time ( except for the undeserving people who use the loophole to
gain title, while most people truly earn it, like me) . Title changes now occur
more often, and it is my theory that npcs act differently to people with higher
fame or karma (if you can refute this, please do, I just want to know if Im
right), so I speculate that karma and titles will hold a greater bearing in the
future (how, I have no idea, but it looks like that is what origin is setting
up).

All in all, read up on uo.stratics.com about trammel and feluccia to get more
detail, but as a new char, and also new to the rules, the light facet is
probably a better place to train a character, and then to train further, take
on the dark facet (you should read up on uo about the four factions in the dark
facet. It is one of its best features in my opinion.) at least until you get
GM, then you can return and RULE, if you like. you really have to give both
worlds like a weeklong test to decide which one you like better.
In my opinion, the light facet rules are trying to do good things, but are
making the attitude towards the light facet as being a "carebear world", a
"baby world", "the newbie world" etc.....

I personally believe that they should toughen up the rules a BIT, but still
make it easy to trin new chars in.

With honor,
The Honorable Duke Eliington
Master Archer/warrior, Master Healer

Jay

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
> 1) What is PowerHour I keep hearing on this message board?

"Power Hour" is the first hour of each day ( resets midnight, local server
time ) that you play. Skill gains are more frequent during your hour.

> 2) Can anyone give me a rough guide on the prices that coloured ingots
> should be sold for?

Not 100% sure on this, but a lot of my blacksmith friends check out
http://www.ubb.org Maybe it'll help you, too :)

> 3) Why has blacksmithy got easier all of a sudden on the Trammel facet? I

> don't know what stuff to make for max skill gain now.

Try Stratics ( http://uo.stratics.com ). They usually have some good
info. Also, check the url in the answer to #2.

> 4) Okay, I want to start a new mage char. My old one on Atlantic had

Magery,
> Resist, Eval, Med, Archery, Tactics and Healing. What skills are best
for a
> pure mage? I've heard something about Inscription being good for a
mage?!?

My pure mage has the following skills: Eval Int, Magery, Meditation,
Resist, Swords, Tactics, Wrestling. Inscription is a good skill to have
for 2 reasons. First, it's a good source of income. Second, you do not
equip your spellbook when casting from a scroll. Very useful for pvp
mages.

> Well hopefully someone will be able to answer some, or all :) of these
> questions. Also I'm interested in joining a guild on Europa, so if
anyone's
> recruiting out there I'd be happy to hear from you.

Recruiting for my guild, but on Baja. If you're ever there, look me up.

Regards,
Jay
Tsarkon of Baja

J.C. Bengtson

Jun 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/4/00
Jay wrote:
> > 2) Can anyone give me a rough guide on the prices that coloured ingots
> > should be sold for?
>
> Not 100% sure on this, but a lot of my blacksmith friends check out
> http://www.ubb.org Maybe it'll help you, too :)

On Atlantic at least, you will never sell a single piece of armor if you
charge extra for exceptional items. People WANT better quality armor,
and if they didn't, they'd buy from NPCs..

Their weapon prices are fair, if a bit steep on some items, but the
armor prices are insane.

--
J.C. Bengtson