Replaying TR1 ( potential spoiler for the neophyte ) ...

Gordian Slash

Mar 30, 2007, 11:51:39 PM3/30/07

Been replaying TR1, and I've just finished one of my favorite challenges
- running the Lost Valley segment WITHOUT firing a shot! I did it this
time using the equivalent of only two full medipacks ( it took three the
first time I did it ). It actually seemed harder this time, but in the
end Lovely Lara Raidermaid had all three clogs, all the pick-ups, and
ol' T-rex & his homies ( 6 raptors ) where all still up and kicking. I
think I screwed up the timing early on, which somehow made it tougher to
stay ahead of the Rex...still, it was a hoot!

What I was not able to do again, was get Lara way up high on those rock
pinnacles behind and to the left ( as one approaches it ) of the stone
building at the far end of the Valley - which I had done the first time.
There is nothing up there but a great view, and my being the first
person to prove it was possible, here anyway ( brag! Brag! ), but I just
couldn't seem to get the first jump to the lowest ledge right this time.
Maybe it was a bug the first time? Or maybe I'm just getting slow on the
keys. < Lame grin >

To anyone who has not done this challenge, I highly recommend it!

PLAY HINT: Jumping, in mid-run on level unobstructed ground only, will
gain Lara essential distance on the raptors - but not on the Rex.

---

Mr. Flibble says: 'Green Laras don't shoot the animals!'

stellalune

Mar 31, 2007, 7:43:52 PM3/31/07
Heya, Gordian Slash. Long time no type. ;)

I just started replaying TR1 a couple of days ago, and I think I'll
steal your idea and try the non-violent valley.

I don't know how far you've gotten--or if you (or anyone else here on
a.g.t.) would like to join in a TR1 co-play--but a bunch of us are
playing and posting on the Lara Croft Online boards. See
http://www.laracroftonline.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2040. I'm way
behind, as usual, but it's been fun.

Regards, Stella

Stella's Tomb Raider Site
The definitive, highly detailed & fully dressed TR walkthroughs!
http://tombraiders.net

On Mar 30, 11:51 pm, Gordian Slash <rolobeas...@earthLEADlink.net>

Jeff Reid

Apr 3, 2007, 3:42:06 AM4/3/07
> PLAY HINT: Jumping, in mid-run on level unobstructed ground only, will
> gain Lara essential distance on the raptors - but not on the Rex.

As Lara drops into the valley, she should run / jump and bear left. The
TRex will be headed the wrong way at first. Lara needs to run / jump
for the column on the left below the tunnel that leads back to the
broken bridge. Once she's climbed up the second column, she's safe from
the TRex and the raptors. The main thing is getting to the column before
the other 2 raptors near the building close in on her.

Paul E Kiefer Jr

Apr 8, 2007, 12:10:16 AM4/8/07
On Mar 31, 6:43?pm, "stellalune" <stellal...@tombraiders.net> wrote:
> Heya, Gordian Slash. Long time no type. ;)
>
> I just started replaying TR1 a couple of days ago, and I think I'll
> steal your idea and try the non-violent valley.
>
> I don't know how far you've gotten--or if you (or anyone else here on
> a.g.t.) would like to join in a TR1 co-play--but a bunch of us are
> playing and posting on the Lara Croft Online boards. Seehttp://www.laracroftonline.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2040. I'm way

> behind, as usual, but it's been fun.
>
> Regards, Stella
>
> Stella's Tomb Raider Site
> The definitive, highly detailed & fully dressed TR walkthroughs!http://tombraiders.net

> On Mar 30, 11:51 pm, Gordian Slash <rolobeas...@earthLEADlink.net>
> wrote:
>

> > Been replaying TR1, and I've just finished one of my favorite challenges
> > - running the Lost Valley segment WITHOUT firing a shot! I did it this
> > time using the equivalent of only two full medipacks ( it took three the
> > first time I did it ). It actually seemed harder this time, but in the
> > end Lovely Lara Raidermaid had all three clogs, all the pick-ups, and
> > ol' T-rex & his homies ( 6 raptors ) where all still up and kicking. I
> > think I screwed up the timing early on, which somehow made it tougher to
> > stay ahead of the Rex...still, it was a hoot!
>
> > What I was not able to do again, was get Lara way up high on those rock
> > pinnacles behind and to the left ( as one approaches it ) of the stone
> > building at the far end of the Valley - which I had done the first time.
> > There is nothing up there but a great view, and my being the first
> > person to prove it was possible, here anyway ( brag! Brag! ), but I just
> > couldn't seem to get the first jump to the lowest ledge right this time.
> > Maybe it was a bug the first time? Or maybe I'm just getting slow on the
> > keys. < Lame grin >
>
> > To anyone who has not done this challenge, I highly recommend it!
>
> > PLAY HINT: Jumping, in mid-run on level unobstructed ground only, will
> > gain Lara essential distance on the raptors - but not on the Rex.
>
> > ---
>
> > Mr. Flibble says: 'Green Laras don't shoot the animals!'- Hide quoted text -

Got room for more? ;-)

stellalune

Apr 8, 2007, 2:07:55 PM4/8/07
> Got room for more? ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Always! A few people have finished already, but I'm only up to St.
Francis' Folly, and a couple of others are still waiting for their
copies of the game to arrive. So c'mon and join us. :D (http://
www.laracroftonline.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2040)

BTW, I was finally able to finish the Lost Valley with all items and
zero kills. Go, me! ;)

Mary Clarke

Apr 11, 2007, 9:47:41 AM4/11/07

"stellalune" <stell...@tombraiders.net> wrote in message

I read this and thought I'd load up my copy of TR1, but it doesn't work.

It's a "Sold Out" version and the downloads don't help.

It did start to load and I got as far as the sound card options then
suddenly the whole thing disappeared. When I tried to install again I get
the Dos square and then it freezes. Anyone got any ideas?

Mary

Jeff Reid

Apr 11, 2007, 12:27:55 PM4/11/07
> I read this and thought I'd load up my copy of TR1, but it doesn't work.
> It's a "Sold Out" version and the downloads don't help.

Glidos and vdmsound, not sure where to get the downloads to fix the audio.

http://www.glidos.com

Mary Clarke

Apr 11, 2007, 12:55:56 PM4/11/07

"Jeff Reid" <jeff...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks for that. However, I still can't get the thing to work. I have
tried all the installer thingy's but nothing happens!!!!

Help? Anyone?

Mary

Miowarra Tomokatu (aka Tomo)

Apr 11, 2007, 1:19:02 PM4/11/07

Mary, a more complete description of your platform might help. Is it a
486 or one of the flavours of Pentium? Are you using Win98SE or a
later OS?

Most importantly, has THIS copy of TR run successfully on that machine
in the past at all? Have you made any changes to the machine (new
cards, perhaps?) since then.

Waiting to hear.
.
:-})>
.
I spent a lot of money on booze, fast cars and women - the rest I squandered.
- George Best

Mary Clarke

Apr 11, 2007, 1:24:32 PM4/11/07

"Miowarra Tomokatu (aka Tomo)" <n...@thistime.net> wrote in message

I have Windows XP Home. I have never played this disc on this machine.
It's a long time since I played TR.

It's a laptop with Centrino Due (???).

Is that enough information?

Mary

PS I went out today to look for a copy of TR which wasn't "Sold Out" but I
couldn't find one anywhere and I have tried to search the internet with
little success.

Mary

Jeff Reid

Apr 11, 2007, 1:59:56 PM4/11/07
> I went out today to look for a copy of TR which wasn't "Sold Out" but I couldn't find one anywhere and I have tried to
> search the internet with little success.

Do a web search for:

Tomb Raider Anthology

It's a combo package with TRI, TRII, and TRIII.

stellalune

Apr 11, 2007, 2:25:47 PM4/11/07
Hi, Mary. Before you buy a new game, you might experiment with
different sound card settings. My page http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/TR1install.html
has quickie instructions including links to the files you'll need to
restore the sound in the Sold Out game. When using the Tomb Raider
Advanced Installer, you do need to install VDMSound first and restart
your system. Then, during the game set-up, there's an option to let
the installer configure your sound card or do it yourself. If the
default setting (IRQ 7) doesn't work and you get no sound at all, you
can reinstall and try IRQ 5. That might be an easy fix.

If all else fails, I have an extra copy of TR1 Gold that's not the
Sold Out version. It's new and unopened. Email me if you're interested
(stellalune at the domain name below). I'll gladly sell it to you for
what I paid, which was about $10 including shipping. I swear I won't
cheat you. Several people here can vouch for me. :)

On Apr 11, 1:19 pm, "Miowarra Tomokatu (aka Tomo)" <n...@thistime.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:55:56 +0100, "Mary Clarke"
>

> <marycatherinecla...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Jeff Reid" <jeffar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> - George Best- Hide quoted text -

Mary Clarke

Apr 11, 2007, 2:36:44 PM4/11/07

> Hi, Mary. Before you buy a new game, you might experiment with
> different sound card settings. My page
> http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/TR1install.html
> has quickie instructions including links to the files you'll need to
> restore the sound in the Sold Out game. When using the Tomb Raider
> Advanced Installer, you do need to install VDMSound first and restart
> your system. Then, during the game set-up, there's an option to let
> the installer configure your sound card or do it yourself. If the
> default setting (IRQ 7) doesn't work and you get no sound at all, you
> can reinstall and try IRQ 5. That might be an easy fix.
>
> If all else fails, I have an extra copy of TR1 Gold that's not the
> Sold Out version. It's new and unopened. Email me if you're interested
> (stellalune at the domain name below). I'll gladly sell it to you for
> what I paid, which was about $10 including shipping. I swear I won't
> cheat you. Several people here can vouch for me. :)
>
> Regards, Stella
>
> Stella's Tomb Raider Site
> The definitive, highly detailed & fully dressed TR walkthroughs!
> http://tombraiders.net

<snip>

Thanks - email's been sent!

Mary :)

Rob

Apr 13, 2007, 9:40:54 AM4/13/07
Have you tried getting all the animals to chase her in Midas and locking
them in the gated switch room ?..(think I got a couple of gorrilas a croc
and a lion , was a few years ago now)).Yeah , I know . Its very sad
And caves . I have run through it all in 3minutes 12 . tip ,you can cut
seconds out if you look for certain places . E.G the rope bridges , you can
make the second one by jumping from the first bridge entrance..If that makes
sence :)

"Gordian Slash" <rolob...@earthLEADlink.net> wrote in message