SFA2...nothing new, eh Capcom?

Theo Yeung

Apr 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/29/96

Who else here besides me thinks this game truly sucks? Sure it's got
great backgrounds, and some nice animation...but I really don't like it.
Although I used to be the biggest SF fan (and I know what I just said
could get me into some flame wars about who's the biggest SF fan...) but
I really have seem to lost interest in playing games related to the SF
world. Don't get me wrong, I love the `original' characters, I love the
anime and TV animes, I love fighting games in general, I love anything
related to SF other than the game itself, especially after playing such a
great game like...well if I go into that I could get into yet another
flame war. So what's so fun about Alpha countering all day, playing the
same character for 2-3 rounds, and Custom Combo (yet another crappy idea
by Capcom next to Autoblocking and Chain Combos).

Up until SSF2T, I had a lot of faith in Capcom to bring out quality
fighters. But when SFA came out, I was thoroughly dissapointed. SFA2 is
an improvement over SFA, but that's not saying much. There's nothing new
about the gameplay, all the characters have been in previous games
(except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why
play SFA2 for a buck when it costs the same to play something graphically
superior to it like Tekken 2, Time Crisis, etc, and something
gameplay-wise superior like KoF95, Time Crisis, etc? I'm not going to
beg Capcom to wise up because we've all been doing this ever since SSF2,
so if Capcom decides to fix up their act, they will...Custom Combo?
Jeez, why not just play KI2 or MK3? Oh yeah, these are sucky games too,
just like SFA2.

[]
/Theo Yeung/\/\/\/[]-------------------------------------------------------
\tye...@sfu.ca/\/\[]======================================================'
[]
Live your life as you would a cherry blossom.

Cyrus Bulsara

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Theo Yeung (tye...@sfu.ca) wrote:
[snip]

: (except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why

: play SFA2 for a buck when it costs the same to play something graphically
: superior to it like Tekken 2, Time Crisis, etc, and something
: gameplay-wise superior like KoF95, Time Crisis, etc? I'm not going to

Um, SFA2 is 50/25 here in Ottawa. Bitch to your arcade operators!

--
Cyrus Bulsara.
Thats my name.

Eddy Tang

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Theo Yeung (tye...@sfu.ca) wrote:
: Who else here besides me thinks this game truly sucks? Sure it's got
: great backgrounds, and some nice animation...but I really don't like it.
: Although I used to be the biggest SF fan (and I know what I just said
: could get me into some flame wars about who's the biggest SF fan...) but
: I really have seem to lost interest in playing games related to the SF
: world. Don't get me wrong, I love the `original' characters, I love the
: anime and TV animes, I love fighting games in general, I love anything
: related to SF other than the game itself, especially after playing such a
: great game like...well if I go into that I could get into yet another
: flame war.

Hmmm... the greatest fan of SF has lost interest in his game. The world
has truly gone to hell...

_______

So what's so fun about Alpha countering all day, playing the
: same character for 2-3 rounds, and Custom Combo (yet another crappy idea
: by Capcom next to Autoblocking and Chain Combos).

I wish I could have the chance to play SFA2 and see what you're talking about
(my town Tucson is anti-SF, I guess). For Alpha countering, well it's not
like people do it all the time. From Alpha 1 observations... you need to
charge the meter to do the AC. Most of the time, people forget about
doing them. Also, it deprives people from doing actual Super combos. If
someone does keep ACing, just throw fireballs or something...

If you don't like Capcom's features in their games, go E-mail them. You
aren't doing much by complaining to us, because we don't work for Capcom.
Maybe they'll listen, mabye they won't. Also, I hope you don't expect us
to boycott the game or something, just because the former "greatest fan
of SF" said so. I shurrrre don't, because I like SFA 1. Can't wait for 2.

_______

: Up until SSF2T, I had a lot of faith in Capcom to bring out quality

: fighters. But when SFA came out, I was thoroughly dissapointed. SFA2 is
: an improvement over SFA, but that's not saying much. There's nothing new
: about the gameplay, all the characters have been in previous games

: (except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why

: play SFA2 for a buck (snip)

1.) Well, nobody's perfect.

2.) The amount of money you pay to play games is different from other places,
keep that in mind. New games here like KI 2 cost (at the most), 50 cents
start and continue. There's places where you can even play it for only 25
cents start/continue. Also, see that previous post...

_______

when it costs the same to play something graphically
: superior to it like Tekken 2, Time Crisis, etc, and something
: gameplay-wise superior like KoF95, Time Crisis, etc?

Go play them then, have fun. The SFA 2 at your place will more room for
challengers.

_______

I'm not going to

: beg Capcom to wise up because we've all been doing this ever since SSF2,

: so if Capcom decides to fix up their act, they will...Custom Combo?

Yeah, I'd admit that most people have been turned off by the SF series because
the number 3 hasn't been added to the title. But I think they took a step
in the right direction with SFA and its changes from the SF2 trend (Champion,
Turbo, Super, Super Turbo). Like I said before, I thought SFA deserved a
sequel. But if SFA 3 comes out, that may try my patience.

_______

: Jeez, why not just play KI2 or MK3? Oh yeah, these are sucky games too,
: just like SFA2.

Oh wow, now you've done it. I happen to LIKE KI 2 and MK3...

Lissen, Mr. Self-Proclaimed God, why don't you build your own video game
company and make these "promise-land" games you want. Maybe you'll defeat
Capcom and other "sucky" companies, but I personally think they would
crush you under their thumbs. Just my opinion...

And, ladies and gentlemen, now that the "biggest SF fan" has stepped down,
I will take his place on the throne (huzzahs everywhere!).

But actually, people proclaiming themselves "the biggest SF fans" is kinda
self-centered, so I step down and proclaim anyone who loves the SF series
"the biggest SF fans". Let us rejoice, my brothers and sisters!

But all jesting aside...

Just the 2 cents, my friend. And don't be games-bashing around these parts
again. :)

Eddy Tang

Mousse Lee

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.960429180812.6614B-100000@fraser>, Theo Yeung
<tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> Who else here besides me thinks this game truly sucks? Sure it's got
> great backgrounds, and some nice animation...but I really don't like it.
> Although I used to be the biggest SF fan (and I know what I just said
> could get me into some flame wars about who's the biggest SF fan...) but
> I really have seem to lost interest in playing games related to the SF
> world. Don't get me wrong, I love the `original' characters, I love the
> anime and TV animes, I love fighting games in general, I love anything
> related to SF other than the game itself, especially after playing such a
> great game like...well if I go into that I could get into yet another

> flame war. So what's so fun about Alpha countering all day, playing the

> same character for 2-3 rounds, and Custom Combo (yet another crappy idea
> by Capcom next to Autoblocking and Chain Combos).

I like SFA2, but then I've liked all Capcom fighters.. cept that robot
one, could never get the hang of it. What is the reason you don't like
SFA2? Sounds like you're just not having fun, and that's a personal
problem.
I have fun playing it, I change characters often. I alpha counter
mostly by accident, only the computer whipping it out alot is annoying. I
play to have fun and I do. I like custom combos, kinda of an easy feature
but more interesting than seeing the same super combos all the time.
Autoblocking was lame, haven't seen it since x-men.

> Up until SSF2T, I had a lot of faith in Capcom to bring out quality
> fighters. But when SFA came out, I was thoroughly dissapointed. SFA2 is
> an improvement over SFA, but that's not saying much. There's nothing new
> about the gameplay, all the characters have been in previous games
> (except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why

> play SFA2 for a buck when it costs the same to play something graphically

> superior to it like Tekken 2, Time Crisis, etc, and something

> gameplay-wise superior like KoF95, Time Crisis, etc? I'm not going to

> beg Capcom to wise up because we've all been doing this ever since SSF2,
> so if Capcom decides to fix up their act, they will...Custom Combo?

> Jeez, why not just play KI2 or MK3? Oh yeah, these are sucky games too,
> just like SFA2.

I was happy with SFA, I liked SSF2T as well. Alpha was more like
Darkstalkers and I really liked that one as well. Capcom still has the
best play control among fighters. SFA2 has three formerly hidden
characters. Two returnees, I think they should have left Zangief out
(Cammy would have been a much better choice). Two newly playable
characters (why Rolento I have no idea, he is fun.) And Sakura who's
seems to be there mostly for fun. That's some major udgrading.
I wouldn't play for a $1 either but it's only 50 cents here, same as
every other fighter we have. Tekken/Time Crisis type graphics grate on my
nerves after a bit, I like the darkstalkers/marvel/alpha graphics better.
Just because you can render everything on the fly doesn't mean it's going
to look any better.
The only complaint I have is the varied damage ratios I've seen between
machines and between players and computers. One machine has level 3
Zangief supercombo take off 90%, and his SF2 classic damage ratio for
SPDs. The one I play now is much more relaxed fortunately.

--
.\\ousse Lee, Everything Zen
mou...@pixi.com

Kuroyume

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Theo Yeung (tye...@sfu.ca) wrote:
: Who else here besides me thinks this game truly sucks? Sure it's got
: great backgrounds, and some nice animation...but I really don't like it.
: Although I used to be the biggest SF fan (and I know what I just said
: could get me into some flame wars about who's the biggest SF fan...) but
: I really have seem to lost interest in playing games related to the SF
: world. Don't get me wrong, I love the `original' characters, I love the
: anime and TV animes, I love fighting games in general, I love anything
: related to SF other than the game itself, especially after playing such a
: great game like...well if I go into that I could get into yet another
: flame war. So what's so fun about Alpha countering all day, playing the
: same character for 2-3 rounds, and Custom Combo (yet another crappy idea
: by Capcom next to Autoblocking and Chain Combos).

Where are you Allen? Let's see you rip this post apart! C'mon, don't
disappoint me now...

: Up until SSF2T, I had a lot of faith in Capcom to bring out quality

: fighters. But when SFA came out, I was thoroughly dissapointed. SFA2 is
: an improvement over SFA, but that's not saying much. There's nothing new
: about the gameplay, all the characters have been in previous games

Well, learn how to use CCs and you will find a notable difference in the
gameplay. Not necessarily improved gameplay, however...

: (except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why

: play SFA2 for a buck when it costs the same to play something graphically
: superior to it like Tekken 2, Time Crisis, etc, and something

Tekken 2? This is the game with the "postcard" backgrounds right? Ugh.

Anyways, well put man. I also find myself really bored with SFA2. In fact
the game is pretty much dead here already. Basically it is a SFA rehash, with
neat-o backgrounds and removal of chain combos [compensated by the addition of
custom combos].

Sure, it's beats SFA1. But the game is still too simplistic. Want to win?
Just pick Chun-Li. After having experience creating half-a-dozen SF games,
you'd think by now, Capcom could balance out characters better than this...

Bob Painter | "Time after time, you try to find yourself...
pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu | nagareru toki no naka de. Taenai kizu dakishime
pai...@mail.sdsu.edu | Setsunasa no kaze ni mau...
| X JAPAN - "Dahlia"

Theo Yeung

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

On 30 Apr 1996, Mousse Lee wrote:

> I like SFA2, but then I've liked all Capcom fighters.. cept that robot
> one, could never get the hang of it. What is the reason you don't like
> SFA2? Sounds like you're just not having fun, and that's a personal
> problem.

No, it's just not fun period.

> I have fun playing it, I change characters often. I alpha counter
> mostly by accident, only the computer whipping it out alot is annoying. I
> play to have fun and I do. I like custom combos, kinda of an easy feature
> but more interesting than seeing the same super combos all the time.
> Autoblocking was lame, haven't seen it since x-men.

The characters in SFA and SFA2 are all "old" though. Okay, forget all
the original SF characters. Who's left? Akuma? He's been in 3 games
since. Dan? Been in one game since, but he sucks anywayz. Rolento?
He's new to the SF scene sure, but he has been in another game before and
he plays a lot like Vega. Guy and Sodom? Been in one game previous and
sucky characters anywayz. Sakura? She's the only new character and she
still plays like Ryu.

With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back in
third round, wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to
death. Wow lot's of fun there.

Custom Combo?...I don't even want to get into this but where the hell is
the skill? Absolutely no skill required except for the ability to hit
your buttons really fast. Wow, why not just play something like KI1or2?
Oh yeah, they suck even more.

And I'm not saying that you should play something solely because the
graphics are better, which is what you seem to think I have implied, but
for $1 (or $0.75, the cheapest here) I'd rather play something that's got
better graphics and a lot more fun.

Tim Peers

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Theo Yeung <tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:

>The characters in SFA and SFA2 are all "old" though. Okay, forget all
>the original SF characters. Who's left? Akuma? He's been in 3 games
>since. Dan? Been in one game since, but he sucks anywayz.

Akuma has one hell of a lot of class, though. And Dan is plain FUN,
especially when you beat a dull FB-DP player with him... :)

>Rolento?
>He's new to the SF scene sure, but he has been in another game before and
>he plays a lot like Vega.

I see. Vega is of course well known for his habit of dropping grenades everywhere..
Rolento is one of the most unusual characters in SFA, and he takes a lot of skill
to use well.

>Guy and Sodom? Been in one game previous and
>sucky characters anywayz.

This man is obviously quite mad. Both these characters are MURDEROUSLY DEADLY in
competent hands.

>Sakura? She's the only new character and she
>still plays like Ryu.

Now I KNOW you're mad. Her DP is used completely differently, he basic moves
and combos are different, her FB works completely differently- she's a parody
of Ryu, not a clone.

>With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back in
>third round, wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to
>death. Wow lot's of fun there.

Doh. AC's do very, very little damage compared to most other stuff. 3 AC's do
not a KO make. And what if they dont jump in? What if they SPD you? FB you?
I often make CPU Ryu block just so he'll waste his super bar on an AC rather
than wasting me with a big super.

>Custom Combo?...I don't even want to get into this but where the hell is
>the skill? Absolutely no skill required except for the ability to hit
>your buttons really fast.

True. Also does bugger all damage. Custom combos are there for fun, flash
finishes and newbie-attracting. Very few experienced players will go for
a CC over a super, unless the small amout of damage the CC does will be
enough.

To be honest, I'm getting pretty sick of all this Capcom-bashing every time
they release a new game. Between TK2, SFA2 and Time Crisis I'm having a great
time- they're all superb games. Enjoy your life!

Tim

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper
Only those who prosper truly judge what is sane

Rayness

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Theo Yeung <tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:

>Who else here besides me thinks this game truly sucks? Sure it's got
>great backgrounds, and some nice animation...but I really don't like it.
>Although I used to be the biggest SF fan (and I know what I just said
>could get me into some flame wars about who's the biggest SF fan...) but
>I really have seem to lost interest in playing games related to the SF
>world. Don't get me wrong, I love the `original' characters, I love the
>anime and TV animes, I love fighting games in general, I love anything
>related to SF other than the game itself, especially after playing such a
>great game like...

Like, Like, KOF95?!?!?!

> Live your life as you would a cherry blossom.

I still love that quote

Allen J Klein

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 30-Apr-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new,
eh .. by Theo Ye...@sfu.ca
> Rolento?
> He's new to the SF scene sure, but he has been in another game before and
> he plays a lot like Vega. Guy and Sodom? Been in one game previous and
> sucky characters anywayz. Sakura? She's the only new character and she
> still plays like Ryu.

Well, I haven't played SFA2 yet, but in the last couple issues of
Gamest, they've had some Street Fighter Zero 2 coverage and there seems
to be this old man in the game. They usually write his name out with a
kanji character but in issue 166, it has the katakana spelling "gen"
next to it.

I guess the Japanese version has a character not in the US version. I
wonder why Capcom decided to make the switch. Probably similar
situation as the Japanese CE where balrog has his final punch.

> With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back in
> third round, wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to
> death. Wow lot's of fun there.

Out of all the "SFA2 sucks because I jumped at this guy and he hit me
out of the air" posts, this one takes the cake. Get the fuck outta
here, ya don't jump at folks too much in SSF2T either, pal. Wow, this
argument is a lot of fun here.

> And I'm not saying that you should play something solely because the
> graphics are better, which is what you seem to think I have implied, but
> for $1 (or $0.75, the cheapest here) I'd rather play something that's got
> better graphics and a lot more fun.

Again, in the Gamest coverage I've seen, the SFA2 graphics look
beautiful. Maybe they look nice as still shots, but have choppy
animation? Or perhaps it's another difference between SFA2 and SFZ2?

jk
--
TSR1F3HT yan...@cmu.edu DA3L9TNACAY32UACHTF1F3HTDA3L9DNA3V0MA3KAM02

Thucydides

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

> (except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why
> play SFA2 for a buck when it costs the same to play something graphically

YOW! Did you say it cost a buck to play a game??!?!? I have never heard
of a game being that expensive, besides sit-down driving games. If they
raise the cost of a video game to $1.00, I will have to find something
else on which to waste my money.

Thucydides

Chris Finnie

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 30-Apr-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new,
eh .. by Theo Ye...@sfu.ca

> Rolento?
> He's new to the SF scene sure, but he has been in another game before and
> he plays a lot like Vega.

He doesn't play like Vega at all. His main strategy revolves around
tossing knives at people. Vega, as I recall, never used knives.

> Guy and Sodom? Been in one game previous and
> sucky characters anywayz.

What's this supposed to mean? That they're weak characters? If that's
what you think, you don't know what you're talking about.

> Sakura? She's the only new character and she
> still plays like Ryu.

Huh? Ryu? Wrong again, pal, you're screwing yourself if you play her
like Ryu. And Gen is also a new character.

> With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back in
> third round,

Why do you always have level 3 super in the third round? What about
finishing people off 2 round straight, huh?

> wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to
> death. Wow lot's of fun there.

Maybe for you, cause I UPPERCUT people when they jump at me, rather
than waste a whole level of super cause I don't have the reactions
to punish a jumper. And once people start jumpin in on you, no
pressing anything, then throwing you, your strategy is worthless.

And another thing. Why are you playing against people who jump at you
for no reason? People who jump for no reason at all, are total
amateurs who aren't worth mentioning. If you want to talk about
strategy, at least refer to tactics that are useful when playing an
expert opponent.

chris f

Mousse Lee

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.960430132151.5668B-100000@fraser>, Theo Yeung
<tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> On 30 Apr 1996, Mousse Lee wrote:
>
> > SFA2? Sounds like you're just not having fun, and that's a personal
> > problem.
>
> No, it's just not fun period.

That would be your opinion and hence a personal problem.

> The characters in SFA and SFA2 are all "old" though. Okay, forget all
> the original SF characters. Who's left? Akuma? He's been in 3 games

> since. Dan? Been in one game since, but he sucks anywayz. Rolento?

> He's new to the SF scene sure, but he has been in another game before and

> he plays a lot like Vega. Guy and Sodom? Been in one game previous and
> sucky characters anywayz. Sakura? She's the only new character and she
> still plays like Ryu.

I didn't play SF1, most of the characters can be considered new to me.
I know they weren't playable before. Guy is a far cry from the rapid fire
jab pressing he once played as in Final Fight. I like the fact that
Capcom is starting to have crossovers between their games.
None of the characters outright suck, I've even changed my opinion of
Dan once I started playing him. It's not like the classic SF2 days where
a Honda could completely shutdown a blanka player with the headbutt. Any
character can beat any other character, it a matter of playing style and
skill. When the CPU is pissed it can win with anybody.
Rolento does not play like Vega about the only similarity I can see is
the jumping off the wall thing. I'd consider him part Fei Long part Guy.

> With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back in

> third round, wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to

> death. Wow lot's of fun there.

Alpha's are not that strong, there are ways around them anyway. That
would require that you actually have your bar to level three and I doubt
you could keep it there sitting in a corner. (Rolento crouching strong
will hit through and Alpha, as will a few other moves.)
You can even Alpha an Alpha then both players super meters keep going
down, what you're complaining about only happens when you let it happen.

> Custom Combo?...I don't even want to get into this but where the hell is
> the skill? Absolutely no skill required except for the ability to hit

> your buttons really fast. Wow, why not just play something like KI1or2?
> Oh yeah, they suck even more.

Custom Combos are just another feature you're not required to use it.
Even at level three they don't take off an incredible amount of damage
assuming you can hit with everything. Actual supers take off more anyway,
customs will leave you with an empty meter unless you're hit out of it.
How skillful do you want people to be? I can do any move in the game
with my eyes closed, in fact I have played people with my eyes closed.
That doesn't mean I want them to make the motions any harder.
Play is part skill and part strategy, you're given a set of attacks and
so is your opponent. You can screw any of them up including the CC. It's
not guaranteed damage, especially for some characters.

> And I'm not saying that you should play something solely because the
> graphics are better, which is what you seem to think I have implied, but
> for $1 (or $0.75, the cheapest here) I'd rather play something that's got
> better graphics and a lot more fun.

At a dollar I wouldn't play it either. You said you didn't like SFA2.
You asked what other people thought. We simply have a difference of
opinion. I like it and I have fun playing it.

Allen J Klein

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 1-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new, eh
.. by Chris Finnie@intergate.b
> > wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to
> > death. Wow lot's of fun there.
>
> Maybe for you, cause I UPPERCUT people when they jump at me, rather
> than waste a whole level of super cause I don't have the reactions
> to punish a jumper. And once people start jumpin in on you, no
> pressing anything, then throwing you, your strategy is worthless.
>
> And another thing. Why are you playing against people who jump at you
> for no reason? People who jump for no reason at all, are total
> amateurs who aren't worth mentioning. If you want to talk about
> strategy, at least refer to tactics that are useful when playing an
> expert opponent.

Mr. Painter: Chris Finney LOATHES SFA2 yet he can still write the above.
Whip out the alanis lyrics, something's ironic.

Chad Kunsman

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Theo Yeung <tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>(except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why
>play SFA2 for a buck....

It costs you a whole dollar to play those games?!!?!?!?!? My GOD! I've only
seen chair moving, big screen, real enough to puke racing and simulation games
costing that much! Alpha 2 here is 50 cents to start, 50 to continue. I was
talking to someone who worked at the arcade and he said that they would
probably raise the difficulty level a bit and lower the continue rate down
to a quarter in about a month (great for playing human matches). Where do
you live where it costs $1.00 to play Tekken 2, SFA2, etc????

Chad

Chad Kunsman

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Theo Yeung <tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:

>With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back in

>third round, wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to

>death. Wow lot's of fun there.

I have played many people at SFA2, and I have met only one person who
knows how do do Alpha Counters consistently, and even then he doesn't sit in
the corner and use them on anyone when they jump in on him, he uses them
intelligently, like when someone tries a super combo on him, he'll counter
out of that, but still, he rarely uses them. People that sit in the corner and
AC you are very rare, and since they have to build up their meter somehow,
they get sloppy and throw a projectile or something and then I move in so
they don't even have time to block, therefore no time to AC either. I don't
like ACs at the moment, mainly because I can't do them consistently, but once
I start learning how to do them I'll probably start to like them, I do agree
with your point on custom combos, while they are kind of fun to watch other
people do them on other people, I rarely use them, once in a while I do, but
only against the computer. If I'm Akuma and I got this guy dizzy, and he has
only 75% or 50% health left, and I have my bar up to level 3, you can bet your
ass I'm going to do Raging Demon (which will KILL him), not a level 3 custom
(which will bring him down to 25%-10% AT BEST).

Chad

Onaje umeme Everett

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Tim Peers (tpe...@paston.co.uk) wrote:
: Theo Yeung <tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:

: >The characters in SFA and SFA2 are all "old" though. Okay, forget all

: >the original SF characters. Who's left? Akuma? He's been in 3 games
: >since. Dan? Been in one game since, but he sucks anywayz.

: Akuma has one hell of a lot of class, though. And Dan is plain FUN,

: especially when you beat a dull FB-DP player with him... :)

True.

: >Rolento?

: >He's new to the SF scene sure, but he has been in another game before and
: >he plays a lot like Vega.

: I see. Vega is of course well known for his habit of dropping grenades everywhere..

: Rolento is one of the most unusual characters in SFA, and he takes a lot of skill
: to use well.

Rolento doesn't take incredible amounts of skill, but you do have to be
tricky with him.

: >Guy and Sodom? Been in one game previous and
: >sucky characters anywayz.

: This man is obviously quite mad. Both these characters are MURDEROUSLY DEADLY in
: competent hands.

Yeah right!!!! Guy, who used to be my FAVORITE character, now SUCKS!!!!
He needs all of his chain combos back and he NEEDS his old Bushido Run
back. As for Sodom, well...I can't really say, but he's not all that
hard to beat now.

: >Sakura? She's the only new character and she
: >still plays like Ryu.

: Now I KNOW you're mad. Her DP is used completely differently, he basic moves

: and combos are different, her FB works completely differently- she's a parody
: of Ryu, not a clone.

This is true. She's more of a poking offensive character than a FB/DP
character. It takes skill to win with her.

: >With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back in

: >third round, wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to
: >death. Wow lot's of fun there.

: Doh. AC's do very, very little damage compared to most other stuff. 3 AC's do

: not a KO make. And what if they dont jump in? What if they SPD you? FB you?
: I often make CPU Ryu block just so he'll waste his super bar on an AC rather
: than wasting me with a big super.

Ummm....did you know that Ken can KO you with SIX kick ACs? I wonder why
we all hate Alpha Counters? Hmmm....

: >Custom Combo?...I don't even want to get into this but where the hell is

: >the skill? Absolutely no skill required except for the ability to hit
: >your buttons really fast.

: True. Also does bugger all damage. Custom combos are there for fun, flash

: finishes and newbie-attracting. Very few experienced players will go for
: a CC over a super, unless the small amout of damage the CC does will be
: enough.

It's stupid...period. If newbies don't have the sense to be able to spot
a good game when they see it, let it be their loss. Just make simplistic
games for the simple minded to play while us people with sense and skill
play our complex games. Life WILL go on.

| Onaje Everett oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu for mail |
| oeve...@rohan.sdsu.edu for FAQ's, and data files |
| |
| Meaning- "The Sensitive One" Nicknames- "Fresh O.J.", "The Juice" |
| "A good thing sells itself, but a bad thing advertises." |
| -Swahili Proverb |

May the peace of Christ be with you.

Theo Yeung

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Chad Kunsman wrote:

> I have played many people at SFA2, and I have met only one person who
> knows how do do Alpha Counters consistently, and even then he doesn't sit in
> the corner and use them on anyone when they jump in on him, he uses them
> intelligently, like when someone tries a super combo on him, he'll counter
> out of that, but still, he rarely uses them. People that sit in the corner and
> AC you are very rare, and since they have to build up their meter somehow,
> they get sloppy and throw a projectile or something and then I move in so
> they don't even have time to block, therefore no time to AC either. I don't
> like ACs at the moment, mainly because I can't do them consistently, but once

The point is, if you have two players who knows what the other is going
to do, most of the time they do just sit there or at least hardly jump.
There's this girl I played, no mercy rounds, and is a really good
player. But the problem is that she used Alpha Counter so often, esp.
after a fireball. She uses Ken and uses the kick Alpha Counter if I try
to fireball her and that kick AC has really good reach. She beat me the
two credits I played her using only the kick Alpha Counter. So you see, I
don't think Alpha Counter is all that fun once you get to such a high
level that that is all you rely on. ACs are two easy to pull off and
should be made harder or less damaging to do.

BTW, where I play, it's a waiting game.

[]
/Theo Yeung/\/\/\/[]-------------------------------------------------------
\tye...@sfu.ca/\/\[]======================================================'
[]

Theo Yeung

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Chad Kunsman wrote:

> It costs you a whole dollar to play those games?!!?!?!?!? My GOD! I've only
> seen chair moving, big screen, real enough to puke racing and simulation games
> costing that much! Alpha 2 here is 50 cents to start, 50 to continue. I was
> talking to someone who worked at the arcade and he said that they would
> probably raise the difficulty level a bit and lower the continue rate down
> to a quarter in about a month (great for playing human matches). Where do
> you live where it costs $1.00 to play Tekken 2, SFA2, etc????

Vancouver BC Canada.

Kuroyume

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Allen J Klein (aj...@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
: Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 1-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new, eh
: .. by Chris Finnie@intergate.b
: > > wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to
: > > death. Wow lot's of fun there.
: >
: > Maybe for you, cause I UPPERCUT people when they jump at me, rather

: > than waste a whole level of super cause I don't have the reactions
: > to punish a jumper. And once people start jumpin in on you, no
: > pressing anything, then throwing you, your strategy is worthless.
: >
: > And another thing. Why are you playing against people who jump at you
: > for no reason? People who jump for no reason at all, are total
: > amateurs who aren't worth mentioning. If you want to talk about
: > strategy, at least refer to tactics that are useful when playing an
: > expert opponent.

: Mr. Painter: Chris Finney LOATHES SFA2 yet he can still write the above.
: Whip out the alanis lyrics, something's ironic.

First of all, why the hell are you calling me out for? I had NOTHING to
do with this thread before now. What's wrong, Mr. Klein? Getting a bit
lonely over there? After leaving you alone for a few weeks, I guess you
just can't resist the urge to start up a flame-war again with me to get
some attention thrown your way? Dude, this thread ended weeks ago. Show
some maturity and stop starting pointless little arguments like this.

Maybe you're just proud to find someone who agrees with you on anything and
when you finally did, you had to announce this to the whole world. Then
again, who does understand your logic?

Asiliat the Wonder Puppy

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

>Doh. AC's do very, very little damage compared to most other stuff. 3 AC's do
>not a KO make. And what if they dont jump in? What if they SPD you? FB you?
>I often make CPU Ryu block just so he'll waste his super bar on an AC rather
>than wasting me with a big super.

I beg to differ. I am not calling you a liar. But on our macines (toronto,
Canada: Funland) 2 ac w/ Sagat does almost half bar. That's right, it's
about 3 pixels from half bar. The first AC DP doesn't do as much, but if your
opponent attacks again, and you pull another AC DP, it does tonnes. After
that, just run away and turtle. Sagat is that much fun.

(Funny thing is, I've played Sagat since he was pickable, so I'm like his #1
fan. I even played the ST Sagat, now I don't.)

____________________________
| Oh joy, smelly feet! |
| .oooO |
| ( ) Oooo. |
| \ ( ( ) |
| \_) ) / |
| (_/ |
|_Asi...@Hole.In.The.Ground_|

Chris Finnie

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

In article <YlVpig600...@andrew.cmu.edu>, Allen J Klein <aj...@andrew.cmu.edu> says:

>> And another thing. Why are you playing against people who jump at you
>> for no reason? People who jump for no reason at all, are total
>> amateurs who aren't worth mentioning. If you want to talk about
>> strategy, at least refer to tactics that are useful when playing an
>> expert opponent.
>
>Mr. Painter: Chris Finney LOATHES SFA2 yet he can still write the above.
> Whip out the alanis lyrics, something's ironic.

I loathe much of the strategy required to win at SFA2. But I'll play
any game that has sufficient competition and I'll take my lumps with
the gameplay just so I can have the glory of winning streaks. Heck,
Bob plays SFA2 pretty much for the same reason I do - it's Street
Fighter, and there are people to play against, and people who were
good at ST are also good at SFA2, so we get our money's worth when
we play, and it's possible to have fun in the process.

chris f

CHRISTOPHER WATKINS

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

WARNING: I have nothing serious to add to this, or any other
conversation! If you are expecting deep insight read elsewhere!
(I mean read another post. This one won't be any more serious if you read
it down the block!)

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Theo Yeung wrote:

> On 30 Apr 1996, Mousse Lee wrote:
>

> > I like SFA2, but then I've liked all Capcom fighters.. cept that robot
> > one, could never get the hang of it. What is the reason you don't like

> > SFA2? Sounds like you're just not having fun, and that's a personal
> > problem.
>
> No, it's just not fun period.

I wish SFA2 was in my arcade so I could be having no fun, too. :(

> > I have fun playing it, I change characters often. I alpha counter
> > mostly by accident, only the computer whipping it out alot is annoying. I
> > play to have fun and I do. I like custom combos, kinda of an easy feature
> > but more interesting than seeing the same super combos all the time.
> > Autoblocking was lame, haven't seen it since x-men.

> The characters in SFA and SFA2 are all "old" though. Okay, forget
all
> the original SF characters. Who's left? Akuma? He's been in 3 games

> since. Dan? Been in one game since, but he sucks anywayz. Rolento?

> He's new to the SF scene sure, but he has been in another game before and

> he plays a lot like Vega. Guy and Sodom? Been in one game previous and
> sucky characters anywayz. Sakura? She's the only new character and she
> still plays like Ryu.

DAN! DAN! DAN! Dan is the most awesome character Capcom has ever
designed- He's wacky, 'e comes in pink, and boy, do people get pissed
when you beat 'em with him! His moves have such great names -
"Shiny dragon punch" and his SC, "Overcoming all odds with no one's
help but my own - fist" or something like that. Haven't played SFA2 yet,
but I hear he sucks more than in SFA1, to which I say: GREAT! I hope he
sucks REALLY BAD! Then defeating opponents will be that much more
glorious! I'm sorry, Mr. Akuma, Did I just beat you with my crummy wave
punch?

> > With 3 levels of Alpha countering possible, one can just sit back

in > third round, wait until the opponent jumps in and Alpha counter to

> death. Wow lot's of fun there.

Yeah, I seen a guy play like this. I think his name was "asswipe".

> Custom Combo?...I don't even want to get into this but where the hell is
> the skill? Absolutely no skill required except for the ability to hit

> your buttons really fast. Wow, why not just play something like KI1or2?
> Oh yeah, they suck even more.

The idea sounds GREAT! You get to hit people even MORE! I can do a
move with little shiny blue things, then my guy pummels the crap out of
the opponent! Whack! Whack! Punch! Kick! I love to hit people!

> And I'm not saying that you should play something solely because the
> graphics are better, which is what you seem to think I have implied, but
> for $1 (or $0.75, the cheapest here) I'd rather play something that's got
> better graphics and a lot more fun.

ACK! $1 a game! holy crap! I'd save my money, and buy sumthin' nice
for the folks! That's just outerageous! BLEAH! All the arcades 'round
here are priced 50/50, which kinda sux, but is tolerable. How I would
love to play SFA2 50/25! (actually, our school arcade has had SFA set on
free play for the last three weeks.. heh heh heh..)

Allen J Klein

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 1-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new, eh
.. by Kuro...@rohan.sdsu.edu
> First of all, why the hell are you calling me out for? I had NOTHING to
> do with this thread before now. What's wrong, Mr. Klein? Getting a bit
> lonely over there? After leaving you alone for a few weeks, I guess you
> just can't resist the urge to start up a flame-war again with me to get
> some attention thrown your way? Dude, this thread ended weeks ago. Show
> some maturity and stop starting pointless little arguments like this.

Hah, no, just that I haven't played SFA2 yet and nobody else on this
group is confrontational enough for my tastes. Mr. Chensor, for
example, posts good shit but is too polite to get into some hairy
arguments. No need to get riled up, pops.

Allen J Klein

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 1-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new, eh
.. by Chris Finnie@intergate.b
> I loathe much of the strategy required to win at SFA2. But I'll play
> any game that has sufficient competition and I'll take my lumps with
> the gameplay just so I can have the glory of winning streaks. Heck,
> Bob plays SFA2 pretty much for the same reason I do - it's Street
> Fighter, and there are people to play against, and people who were
> good at ST are also good at SFA2, so we get our money's worth when
> we play, and it's possible to have fun in the process.

Same thing, though I'm willing to stoop all the way down to Samruai
Shodown to find people to play. And you guys think Alpha has flaws,
holy christ does the SS design team need to beta test more.

Amir Zeldes

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Theo Yeung wrote:

> Who else here besides me thinks this game truly sucks? Sure it's got
> great backgrounds, and some nice animation...but I really don't like it.
> Although I used to be the biggest SF fan (and I know what I just said
> could get me into some flame wars about who's the biggest SF fan...) but
> I really have seem to lost interest in playing games related to the SF
> world. Don't get me wrong, I love the `original' characters, I love the
> anime and TV animes, I love fighting games in general, I love anything
> related to SF other than the game itself, especially after playing such a
> great game like...well if I go into that I could get into yet another
> flame war. So what's so fun about Alpha countering all day, playing the
> same character for 2-3 rounds, and Custom Combo (yet another crappy idea
> by Capcom next to Autoblocking and Chain Combos).
>
> Up until SSF2T, I had a lot of faith in Capcom to bring out quality
> fighters. But when SFA came out, I was thoroughly dissapointed. SFA2 is
> an improvement over SFA, but that's not saying much. There's nothing new
> about the gameplay, all the characters have been in previous games
> (except Sakura), and worst of all, it costs so much to play it now. Why
> play SFA2 for a buck when it costs the same to play something graphically
> superior to it like Tekken 2, Time Crisis, etc, and something
> gameplay-wise superior like KoF95, Time Crisis, etc? I'm not going to
> beg Capcom to wise up because we've all been doing this ever since SSF2,
> so if Capcom decides to fix up their act, they will...Custom Combo?
> Jeez, why not just play KI2 or MK3? Oh yeah, these are sucky games too,
> just like SFA2.
>
> []
> /Theo Yeung/\/\/\/[]-------------------------------------------------------
> \tye...@sfu.ca/\/\[]======================================================'
> []
> Live your life as you would a cherry blossom.

We don't have SFA2 here yet (well, I'm in Israel, o.k.? How did that guy
in Kuwait get it!?). When SFA first arrived here, it cost about 17 cents
U.S. currancy (I have no idea how arcades here make profits). KoF '95
costs the same, but you truely think it's superior!? I managed to do 100%
energy removing combos with Takuma and Kyo! The POW damage ratio is
insane!! That's why I got SFA for my Saturn and not KoF. Maybe I'll get
it if I win the lottery or something. I really liked Night Warriors
(which I bought :) ), and I also like X-Men (except for the weird way you
can get 6-hit combos with an Ice Beam and a 50-hit with the Arctic
Attack). Am I alone in thinking that the Gene Splice is one of the most
beautiful uppercut-type moves ever? I look forward to MSH coming to
Saturn. Anyway, quit bitching about Capcom. They're really great, and
even if SFA2 turns out to be disappointing, we can still hope for
Darkstalkers 3 (I won't say SF, that's not gonna happen in my lifetime).

Lighten up!

(sig. under construction)

--Superfingers Out

Kuroyume

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Mr. Klein foolishly posted:

Kuro...@rohan.sdsu.edu wrote:
> > First of all, why the hell are you calling me out for? I had NOTHING to
> > do with this thread before now. What's wrong, Mr. Klein? Getting a bit
> > lonely over there? After leaving you alone for a few weeks, I guess you
> > just can't resist the urge to start up a flame-war again with me to get
> > some attention thrown your way? Dude, this thread ended weeks ago. Show
> > some maturity and stop starting pointless little arguments like this.

> Hah, no, just that I haven't played SFA2 yet and nobody else on this
> group is confrontational enough for my tastes.

Fine. You've let this be known on several occasions. Of course, this does
not dismiss the fact that your posts are basically irrelevant. Take your
post I am responding to for example: What does "not having played SFA2 yet"
have anything to do with bringing up a three-week old subject that has been
long buried, such as the "low-fierce" debate?

> Mr. Chensor, for
> example, posts good shit but is too polite to get into some hairy arguments.

Mr. Chensor's posts are good because he knows what he is talking about. You,
on the other hand, IMO, really do not have a clue.

> No need to get riled up, pops.

Don't worry about that. The day you actually rile me up, is the day where I
actually stop acknowledging your existence. For at this point in time,
debating with you, for me is comedic. I look forward to your posts, because
I need a good laugh at the end of the day.

The regular guy would have stopped responding to you long ago, but I look
forward to each and every one of your posts, just to see how stupid you can
make yourself look.

Don't disappoint me with your next one.

--
Bob Painter
pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu

Steve Hathaway

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

CHRISTOPHER WATKINS wrote:
> ACK! $1 a game! holy crap! I'd save my money, and buy sumthin' nice
> for the folks! That's just outerageous! BLEAH! All the arcades 'round
> here are priced 50/50, which kinda sux, but is tolerable. How I would
> love to play SFA2 50/25! (actually, our school arcade has had SFA set on
> free play for the last three weeks.. heh heh heh..)

For a $1 a game, it had better be in a room by itself, hooked up to a
100" projection tv, with a kick ass surround sound hooked up to it :)

Allen J Klein

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 2-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new, eh
.. by Kuro...@rohan.sdsu.edu
> The regular guy would have stopped responding to you long ago, but I look
> forward to each and every one of your posts, just to see how stupid you can
> make yourself look.

100% of stuff I post is totally bogus? Nobody would have ever responded
in the first place.

Some of the stuff I post is worthwhile? Really appreciate the fact that
you are so skillful at forgetting that. Tom Cannon, with whom I've
talked about stuff on e-mail with is even more clever at this... if you
ever hit a anti-ajk draught, ask him for some tips.

Let's say one day I put together some good material. Fine, blah. Next
day, I post something you've got down as stupid. Whatver the case, it's
still the same dude behind the keyboard. I'm on here 'cause I like
playing/talking about SF and besides that enjoy having fun with looking
at things from different angles.

FYI - only posted drunk once, and that was early in the fall. ^_^

al
--
TSR1F3HT yan...@cmu.edu DA3L9TNACAY32UACHTF1F3HTDA3L9DNA3V0MA3KAM02

Kuroyume

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Once again, Mr. Klein babbled:

Kuro...@rohan.sdsu.edu wrote:
> > The regular guy would have stopped responding to you long ago, but I look
> > forward to each and every one of your posts, just to see how stupid you can
> > make yourself look.
>
> 100% of stuff I post is totally bogus? Nobody would have ever responded
> in the first place.

You know what? You sound just like a politician when you "speak". Always
avoiding the heart of the matter and rattling off your pre-programmed speech.
May I suggest a career in politics in your future?

Never did I say that your posts are pure "bogus". However, I feel that you
have many misconceptions about SF. So many, that it often doesn't look
like you know what you are talking about. Of course, maybe you just don't
have adequate competition over there, and thus you're understanding of the
game is affected?

Damn, I'm glad I live in California...

> Some of the stuff I post is worthwhile? Really appreciate the fact that
> you are so skillful at forgetting that. Tom Cannon, with whom I've
> talked about stuff on e-mail with is even more clever at this... if you
> ever hit a anti-ajk draught, ask him for some tips.

Another reason I like Tom.

> Let's say one day I put together some good material. Fine, blah. Next
> day, I post something you've got down as stupid. Whatver the case, it's
> still the same dude behind the keyboard.

But you still never answered my question to why you felt the need to drag
my name back into a subject that was already buried three weeks ago and
one which I was no longer interested in debating. In fact, you never answer
any of my questions [as well as Milo's and others] straightforward, thus
my suggestion for a career in politics.

> I'm on here 'cause I like
> playing/talking about SF and besides that enjoy having fun with looking
> at things from different angles.

And what's wrong with that? I'm on here for the same reason.

I'm not trying to take away your first amendment or anything like that, but
when you keep trying to make someone look bad in your "controversial" style,
then you should expect these kind of responses.

> FYI - only posted drunk once, and that was early in the fall. ^_^

Too bad I missed it. You probably made more sense...

[Oh man, you REALLY set yourself up for that one.]

--
Bob Painter
pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu

Allen J Klein

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 3-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new, eh
.. by Kuro...@rohan.sdsu.edu
> > FYI - only posted drunk once, and that was early in the fall. ^_^
>
> Too bad I missed it. You probably made more sense...

tabun raishyuu taima sute 'post' o shimasu... I'll put a disclaimer in,
ok? ^_^

Mousse Lee

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.960501131227.8745A-100000@fraser>, Theo Yeung
<tye...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> The point is, if you have two players who knows what the other is going
> to do, most of the time they do just sit there or at least hardly jump.
> There's this girl I played, no mercy rounds, and is a really good
> player. But the problem is that she used Alpha Counter so often, esp.
> after a fireball. She uses Ken and uses the kick Alpha Counter if I try
> to fireball her and that kick AC has really good reach. She beat me the
> two credits I played her using only the kick Alpha Counter. So you see, I
> don't think Alpha Counter is all that fun once you get to such a high
> level that that is all you rely on. ACs are two easy to pull off and
> should be made harder or less damaging to do.
>
> BTW, where I play, it's a waiting game.

Out of curiosity, which character do you play against this Ken and what
is the damage ratio set to on your $1 machine?
I've played where Zangief SDP and Dan level 1 fireball take off about
30% to the machine I play right now which is about 15-20%. Normal combos
for some guys from 45-55% to 25-30% There haven't been any dominating
players around here lately. At least enough so that they can only use
Alphas. Here they take off from 5-10% and meters are damn hard to charge
without outright killing someone or getting killed. A pisser when your
opponent survives your last SC.
If you can be killed with only Alphas it sounds like your arcade has
some lousy settings.

Theo Yeung

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

On 4 May 1996, Mousse Lee wrote:

> Out of curiosity, which character do you play against this Ken and what
> is the damage ratio set to on your $1 machine?
> I've played where Zangief SDP and Dan level 1 fireball take off about
> 30% to the machine I play right now which is about 15-20%. Normal combos
> for some guys from 45-55% to 25-30% There haven't been any dominating
> players around here lately. At least enough so that they can only use
> Alphas. Here they take off from 5-10% and meters are damn hard to charge
> without outright killing someone or getting killed. A pisser when your
> opponent survives your last SC.
> If you can be killed with only Alphas it sounds like your arcade has
> some lousy settings.

I dunno the settings too well since I don't play this game too often. I
do remember using Akuma against the CPU and what happened was that I did
a 3 hit combo on the opponent and did the Raging Demon (? Jab, Jab,
forward, Short, Fierce) right after and got him as he was getting up and
it killed him. There are other places where I did a combo and then the
RD and it only took off about half energy. So I guess the first place's
setting is really high. The CPU is also really hard at this place, as is
all their games.

Dave Finnie

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

>Mousse Lee says:

Are you 18? Cause you can legally change your name, you know.

df

Kuroyume

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

Allen J Klein (aj...@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
: Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 3-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new, eh

: .. by Kuro...@rohan.sdsu.edu
: > > FYI - only posted drunk once, and that was early in the fall. ^_^
: >
: > Too bad I missed it. You probably made more sense...

: tabun raishyuu taima sute 'post' o shimasu... I'll put a disclaimer in,
: ok? ^_^

Ah... so that explains what's wrong with you. Don't you know that stuff
fries your brain cells?

In reality, you actually made me chuckle with that one. One point for Allen.

Julien B Beasley

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

I have mixed feelings about SFA2:
I actually have fun playing SFA2 sometimes. I hardly ever had fun playing
SFA. SFA2 can really have an ST like feel in *some* matches against some
players.
On the other hand, SFA2 really bites in some respects. The AC's are still
stupid. CC's don't seem too bad so far. They mainly seem to be used to
beat the "fat-head" crouching fierce Ryu players.

By the way, we have a "fat head" here too. He plays Ryu, never jumps, and
does cr. fierce if you jump in. Really annoying. I think San Diego ryu
players are multiplying! AAAGGH!!

Rolls seem much less effective than in SFA. This is good. My main problems
with the game are the AC's and the priority of normal ground moves over
jump ins. The game isn't totally bad, but some matches can be as stupid as
SFA was.

my 2 cents.

-Julien

--
Stream polished pebbles SF2 Code v1.0: t+ c+ T+ r+(-) f g+
In the mind's still garden pool m+ s+ v+ M+(-) n+:++ o+

Kuroyume

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Julien B Beasley (j...@mit.edu) wrote:
: I have mixed feelings about SFA2:

: I actually have fun playing SFA2 sometimes. I hardly ever had fun playing
: SFA. SFA2 can really have an ST like feel in *some* matches against some
: players.

I also have mixed feelings about SFA2, but overall I think it is a decent
game. Especially when compared with its predecessor.

: On the other hand, SFA2 really bites in some respects. The AC's are still

: stupid. CC's don't seem too bad so far. They mainly seem to be used to
: beat the "fat-head" crouching fierce Ryu players.

Correct. ACs are pure garbage. ACs are just another tool for turtles, which
they don't need. Turtles have always done well in SF without ACs.

Only good players, for the most part have figured out how to use CCs correctly
around here. The scrubs waste their meters all the time by doing CCs at
improper times.

: By the way, we have a "fat head" here too. He plays Ryu, never jumps, and

: does cr. fierce if you jump in. Really annoying. I think San Diego ryu
: players are multiplying! AAAGGH!!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Actually, these "fat head" players are not impossible to beat. They still
lose the majority of their matches around here to me, Milo, and other non
Ryu-conforming players. The reason that "fat heads" sometime win, is due
to the fact that Ryu is still the most popular character here. Yes, these
unimaginative Ryu players have not even given Ken a try yet. They'll play
Ryu all day long, and playing 50 straight Ryu players gets boring quickly.
I often start playing aimlessly against these guys due to the lack of
variety.

The "fat head" Ryu player's most effective strategy is not the low-fierce,
or even turtling. It's monotony.

: Rolls seem much less effective than in SFA. This is good. My main problems

: with the game are the AC's and the priority of normal ground moves over
: jump ins. The game isn't totally bad, but some matches can be as stupid as
: SFA was.

SFA2 is a dozen times better than SFA. It's so obvious, but yet there are
a horde of guys at SDSU who won't even consider touching a SFA2 joystick
because they cannot bear to be without their precious chain-combos and still
use their scrubby Akumas and Ryus on SFA all day long. To you guys, [and I
hope some of you are reading this], you guys are nothing but pathethic scrubs.
You guys got your asses handed to you on ST all the time and you know the
same thing would happen if you even considered playing SFA2.

David Alexander S Dial

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <jbb-140596...@hannibal.mit.edu>,

Julien B Beasley <j...@mit.edu> wrote:
>I have mixed feelings about SFA2:
>I actually have fun playing SFA2 sometimes. I hardly ever had fun playing
>SFA. SFA2 can really have an ST like feel in *some* matches against some
>players.
>On the other hand, SFA2 really bites in some respects. The AC's are still
>stupid. CC's don't seem too bad so far. They mainly seem to be used to
>beat the "fat-head" crouching fierce Ryu players.

Actually, I like the AC's better than the CC's for most characters. The
main exception is Zangief (who I use the most). One thing I've found is
that it's generally better to use regular Fierce and Roundhouse moves
rather than specials when using a custom combo. Anyone else feel that way?

>By the way, we have a "fat head" here too. He plays Ryu, never jumps, and
>does cr. fierce if you jump in. Really annoying. I think San Diego ryu
>players are multiplying! AAAGGH!!

Can't you jump from farther away and punch his punch? Well, it depends on
who you're using, I guess. I think I've done that with Ziggy against Ryu
before. If you use Ken or Ryu (like almost everyone in my area does), an
air-spinkick might work as well.

>Rolls seem much less effective than in SFA. This is good. My main problems

I never really used the roll, to tell the truth. However, I've played
against people who *do*, and it really messes up your gameplan when you
can't jump on them when they're down (they roll before you can).

>with the game are the AC's and the priority of normal ground moves over
>jump ins. The game isn't totally bad, but some matches can be as stupid as
>SFA was.

Heh. I *liked* SFA! But then, I've liked every version of the game so far
(well, escept the movie. Bleh!).

>my 2 cents.

And mine

-David

Julien B Beasley

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <4nb2nq$i...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu (Kuroyume)
wrote:

:: I have mixed feelings about SFA2:
:: I actually have fun playing SFA2 sometimes. I hardly ever had fun playing
:: SFA. SFA2 can really have an ST like feel in *some* matches against some
:: players.

:I also have mixed feelings about SFA2, but overall I think it is a decent

:game. Especially when compared with its predecessor.

Yeah, I agree.

:Only good players, for the most part have figured out how to use CCs correctly

:around here. The scrubs waste their meters all the time by doing CCs at
:improper times.
:

:
:: By the way, we have a "fat head" here too. He plays Ryu, never jumps, and

:: does cr. fierce if you jump in. Really annoying. I think San Diego ryu
:: players are multiplying! AAAGGH!!

:
:NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

:
:Actually, these "fat head" players are not impossible to beat. They still
:lose the majority of their matches around here to me, Milo, and other non
:Ryu-conforming players. The reason that "fat heads" sometime win, is due
:to the fact that Ryu is still the most popular character here. Yes, these
:unimaginative Ryu players have not even given Ken a try yet. They'll play
:Ryu all day long, and playing 50 straight Ryu players gets boring quickly.
:I often start playing aimlessly against these guys due to the lack of
:variety.

Luckily, there aren't too many of these guys. There are only a handful of
serious turtles, and only one fat head. I can beat fat head, but it takes
real patience, and it can be trying. Haha, Bob, you've introduced a new
term, I think. A fat head is to a turtle as a turtle is to a regular
player :)

:SFA2 is a dozen times better than SFA. It's so obvious, but yet there are

:a horde of guys at SDSU who won't even consider touching a SFA2 joystick
:because they cannot bear to be without their precious chain-combos and still
:use their scrubby Akumas and Ryus on SFA all day long. To you guys, [and I
:hope some of you are reading this], you guys are nothing but pathethic scrubs.
:You guys got your asses handed to you on ST all the time and you know the
:same thing would happen if you even considered playing SFA2.

You've just described MIT. I was playing yesterday on SFA2, and what do I
see but two guys playing Ryu and Ken next to me on SFA. (One of these
guys, the ken, honestly thinks that SFA is the best street fighter ever).
There was a third guy hanging around playing *gasp* Akuma with them.

Allen J Klown

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

wrote:

>I also have mixed feelings about SFA2, but overall I think it is a decent

>game. Especially when compared with its predecessor.

See, pops? Once you stop your SFA-bashing and look at the game, you
actually realize that it isn't so bad. Of course, it's not VH, which is
the best game ever.

>Correct. ACs are pure garbage. ACs are just another tool for turtles, which
>they don't need. Turtles have always done well in SF without ACs.

Point out to me one example where AC's are garbage. Every time you could
have AC'd you could have done a DP. Tom Cannon will back me up on this.

WHAT IS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AC AND A DP, MOTHER FUCKER?
Answer this!

Consider a scenario: Ryu is sitting there. Adon jumps in
case 1) Ryu DP's
case 2) Ryu AC's

What's the difference? This is *exactly* the same situation as ST. Ming
said 4 years ago "if you could have blocked, you could have DP'd". I've
been saving this article for years just so I could quote it, because I
know he would love for me to use it at this point. And we all know that in
SFA, you can AC anything you block. So the DP is equivalent to the AC.

>Only good players, for the most part have figured out how to use CCs correctly
>around here. The scrubs waste their meters all the time by doing CCs at
>improper times.

Aha! You said *correctly*! So you are implying that SFA2 isn't trash after
all! That it requires skill. So then SFA isn't trash either, because a
couple of weeks ago, Mr Finney said that SFA and SFA2 have the same
gameplay!

>: By the way, we have a "fat head" here too. He plays Ryu, never jumps, and
>: does cr. fierce if you jump in. Really annoying. I think San Diego ryu
>: players are multiplying! AAAGGH!!
>
>NOOOOOOOOOOO!!
>
>Actually, these "fat head" players are not impossible to beat. They still
>lose the majority of their matches around here to me, Milo, and other non
>Ryu-conforming players. The reason that "fat heads" sometime win, is due
>to the fact that Ryu is still the most popular character here. Yes, these
>unimaginative Ryu players have not even given Ken a try yet. They'll play
>Ryu all day long, and playing 50 straight Ryu players gets boring quickly.
>I often start playing aimlessly against these guys due to the lack of
>variety.

If you have problems losing to Ryu players, I suggest playing Adon. My
adon does fine against Ryu's here at CMU. Your losing to ryu players means
that you have a skill problem, not that SFA is trash. After all, SFA is
exactly the same as ST, because you can just replace the AC with the DP.
And what is your problem with the crouching fierce, holmes? Name ONE
VERSION of street figther where Ryu didn't have a crouching fierce. It's
exactly the same as ST!

>SFA2 is a dozen times better than SFA. It's so obvious, but yet there are
>a horde of guys at SDSU who won't even consider touching a SFA2 joystick
>because they cannot bear to be without their precious chain-combos and still
>use their scrubby Akumas and Ryus on SFA all day long. To you guys, [and I
>hope some of you are reading this], you guys are nothing but pathethic scrubs.
>You guys got your asses handed to you on ST all the time and you know the
>same thing would happen if you even considered playing SFA2.

Aha, so now you say that SFA is worse than SFA2! But if they are good on
SFA, doesn't that mean that they would have been better on ST, because
they are the same game, by the fact that crouching fierces are equivalent
to DP's.
3 years ago, Brian Weisssman posted that Dhalsim was a really good
character because of his standing jab. So Dhalsim and Ryu have the *same*
gameplay. Tom Cannon will back me up on this one.

Your losing to these Ryu's is because you are so focused on the gameplay
of ST that you don't realize you are in fact playing the same game! As you
get out of secondary deep block stun, you have to time your throw so that
it's invulnerability coincides with the reversal timing on the alpha
counter. I know I haven't actually played SFA2 yet, but my theoretical
arguments hold anyways. By the way, VH had a *perfect* guard reversal
system, a *perfect* super system, and a *perfect* selection of characters.
But how did this game do in the US? It bombed. Time to pull out the old
yankir sarcasm

-al

--
?D3DRAT3R yankir OS vampire hunter rules GIS YM my toad will goad you SI YHW

Allen J Klein

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Hey, what the fuck? :-P

Onaje umeme Everett

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

: wrote:

[...]

Not! There is a BIG difference, yet it is so subtle that you overlooked
it. It's called DAMAGE!!! A deep fierce DP from Ryu will take off about
1/4 or 1/5 damage, as opposed to the 1/8 an AC does. Also, there's the
skill involved in doing the DP motion versus an AC motion. There IS a
difference.

[...]

Bob doesn't lose to Ryu players. You haven't been reading closely
enough. Since I see him play just about every time he's there, I know
this for a fact. His Rose is just too good for them.

Bob's main complaint, as is mine, is that people are too cowardly and
weak to try to master the characters that require higher amounts of skill
to play. They don't like being...spontaneous. They just love to win
over and over with the same person. However, since they usually lose
now, they like to lose over and over with the same person. IT'S
BORING!!!! I'd rather fight Bob 20 straight matches than fight a boring
Ryu player who would do nothing but try to play the same boring Ryu that
he played on SF2:World Warrior. The thing that makes me rather fight Bob
is that...he can play a VARIETY of characters and give me a good match.
The display of skill on one's part often sways others to respect them.

It's like Ryu and Akuma (believe it or not) have said:

"The FIGHT, not the victory, is all."
-Ryu, DT3

"It is the path, not the goal."
-Akuma, SFA

[...]

Gee...I didn't know that Dhalsim had the same offensive and defensive
characteristics as Ryu? Could it be because Dhalsim, in actuality, has
LESS offensive capability and, therefore, DOES NOT play the same as Ryu?
I do think so.

: Your losing to these Ryu's is because you are so focused on the gameplay

: of ST that you don't realize you are in fact playing the same game! As you
: get out of secondary deep block stun, you have to time your throw so that
: it's invulnerability coincides with the reversal timing on the alpha
: counter. I know I haven't actually played SFA2 yet, but my theoretical
: arguments hold anyways. By the way, VH had a *perfect* guard reversal
: system, a *perfect* super system, and a *perfect* selection of characters.
: But how did this game do in the US? It bombed. Time to pull out the old
: yankir sarcasm

As I said before, he DOESN'T lose to the Ryu scrubs. Also, it takes WAY
more skill to do a guard cancel on DS, due to the PRECISE timing needed,
than it does to do an AC.

HOLD UP!!!! YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME!!!!!! WHY DID YOU EVEN BOTHER
TO POST?! If you haven't played the game, you don't have any base for
your argument. Your "theories" are nowhere near as valid as
"experience". ST and SFA2 are NOT the same game. Trust me on that one.

BTW, do you know why Vampire Hunter bombed here? It's because we'd
rather play skill-less games that have nothing but gratuitous gore in
them. It's a shame there are SO few people in this country that can
recognize a good game when they see it.

Benjamin Louis Hayek

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Allen, stop trying to be funny while trying to make a point. It just
doesn't work, because you accomplish neither. Maybe you should move
to r.g.v.a.
Ben.

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <jbb-150596...@hannibal.mit.edu>,

Allen J Klown <j...@mit.edu> wrote:
>In article <4nb2nq$i...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu (Kuroyume)
>wrote:

[snip]

>>Correct. ACs are pure garbage. ACs are just another tool for turtles, which
>>they don't need. Turtles have always done well in SF without ACs.
>
>Point out to me one example where AC's are garbage. Every time you could
>have AC'd you could have done a DP. Tom Cannon will back me up on this.

What? Are you insane?! I'll do no such thing. This is an absolutely
ridiculous claim.

>WHAT IS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AC AND A DP, MOTHER FUCKER?
>Answer this!

Uh...oh. Allen's about to do it again. Can't you just feel it? The
foreboding, the wicked glee, the crisp anticipation of the moment before
the axe falls....

>Consider a scenario: Ryu is sitting there. Adon jumps in
>case 1) Ryu DP's
>case 2) Ryu AC's
>
>What's the difference? This is *exactly* the same situation as ST.

Are you a fool?! For now we'll completely ignore the fact that ACs can
be used in situations other than a *jump in*. Your two cases are not
similar in that case 2 requires almost none of the reflexes and alertness
of case 1.

The crux of the matter is that case 1 requires Ryu to react to the jump
in, while case 2 requires Ryu to react to the *block*. It's very, very
easy to condition yourself to twich the AC motion whenever you hear that
"thud" blocking sound. A more difficult task is blocking high and low
(assuming that the attacker is setting up this jump-in with some kind
of footsee game), then quickly flipping around into offensive mode and
DPing the jump in. A good player can of course do both, but when you can
do the first, why bother with the second?

In your scenario, the AC is a crutch for scrubs without the reflexes
and experience to snuff out a jump-in regardless of the circumstances.

Now I'll give you one more case where an AC is a better, yet easier
alternative to a DP. After a knockdown, did you know that a meaty (well
timed...whatever) standing forward from Zangief will _trade_ with a
reversal DP from Ryu? What am I saying...of course you don't. You haven't
played the game.

Anyway, this presents a problem for a knocked-down Ryu...unless he has
an AC. In this case, instead of trying a reversal DP, he can take a much
easier option and block the kick, then AC it. In fact, he _should_ take
this option...it's the best thing he can do (except maybe a wake_up SC,
which will trade in Ryu's favor).

>Ming
>said 4 years ago "if you could have blocked, you could have DP'd". I've
>been saving this article for years just so I could quote it, because I
>know he would love for me to use it at this point.

Was it Seth who first noticed that you regurgitate snippets from veterans
of this group rather than coming up with any kind of argument of your own?

Anyway, it's too bad that you went through all that work to take Ming's
quote completely out of context. Ming was suggesting that a "perfect"
Ryu player would be unbeatable, since he could DP every limb that you
threw at him, and he used this as a platform to further suggest that blocking
any attack with Ryu was therefore a small mistake since, "if you could
have blocked, you could have DP'd" and done damage to your opponent.

Now look at you; You're trying to use this statement to assert the exact
opposite! You're trying to equate a Ryu that can anticiapte and DP
anything with a Ryu that blocks and then ACs everything.

So you see how ridiculous your assertion is. Playing Ming's "perfect",
unbeatable Ryu with the DP (and without the AC) is impossible...it's an
ideal. Playing a Ryu that is effectively the same (with the AC) is
not only attainable, it's completely uninteresting. There are probably
dozens of people on this group who could do it, if they practiced their
low AC for a month.

[snip]

>>Only good players, for the most part have figured out how to use CCs correctly
>>around here. The scrubs waste their meters all the time by doing CCs at
>>improper times.
>
>Aha! You said *correctly*! So you are implying that SFA2 isn't trash after
>all! That it requires skill. So then SFA isn't trash either, because a
>couple of weeks ago, Mr Finney said that SFA and SFA2 have the same
>gameplay!

I hope that I don't have to point out to everyone else that you just did it
again. "Ming said this", "Tom will back me up here", "Mr Finney said...".

You do realize the difference between fact and opinion, yes? You can't
just mix and match tidbits, some of them _years_ old, and magically fit
them together into a cohesive argmument like some crazy jigsaw-puzzle.
Bob says that SFA2 is a decent game, and Chris says that SFA and SFA2 have
the same gameplay (and I suspect that you're taking that out of context
anyway), therefore it is *FACT* that SFA is a decent game as well. Yup. QED.

[chomp]

>I know I haven't actually played SFA2 yet, but my theoretical

This says all anyone needs to know.

Oh wait...this is a troll, right? You're doing this on purpose? Is that
what the "Allen J Klown" is for, or do you truly realize that your
reputation is so badly tarnished that everything you say is pretty much
a joke?

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Wenchi Liao

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <4nd0i2$g...@hole.sdsu.edu>,

Onaje umeme Everett <oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu> wrote:
>Allen J Klown (j...@mit.edu) wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>: In article <4nb2nq$i...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu (Kuroyume)
>: wrote:

Hehe heh...I don't know what's better...the post, or the reply....

Chris Finnie

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <jbb-150596...@hannibal.mit.edu>, j...@mit.edu says...

>real patience, and it can be trying. Haha, Bob, you've introduced a new
>term, I think. A fat head is to a turtle as a turtle is to a regular
>player :)

Hey, use the term 'non-turtle' as opposed to regular player. You HAVE
to turtle with many characters to win in SFA2. My Dhalsim in SFA2 is
one of the worst fat-head turtles you've ever seen, because against
Birdies and Sodoms and Guys, I HAVE to sit there and stick out a limb
her and there and try to AC everything, because there is little else
he can do. Of course, Dhalsim is by no means my #1 character, partly
due to his newfound depencence on turtling up, so I use Rolento, Bison,
and Charlie to keep my image as a fairly offensive player.

chris f

Brian Chan

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu (Onaje umeme Everett) writes:

>Allen J Klown (j...@mit.edu) wrote:

^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

[Stuff deleted]

You'd think that even if somehow you missed the satire, the name and
email address would give it away.

Julien, great post. ROTFL!

Theo Yeung

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

On 15 May 1996, Allen J Klown wrote:

> Consider a scenario: Ryu is sitting there. Adon jumps in
> case 1) Ryu DP's
> case 2) Ryu AC's
>
> What's the difference? This is *exactly* the same situation as ST. Ming
> said 4 years ago "if you could have blocked, you could have DP'd". I've
> been saving this article for years just so I could quote it, because I
> know he would love for me to use it at this point. And we all know that in
> SFA, you can AC anything you block. So the DP is equivalent to the AC.

This doesn't work if Ryu is getting up from being knocked down. You can
block and Alpha, but you can't get up and get a guaranteed landed DP. In
fact, in most situations, Ryu would have just gotten hit for not blocking.

Poclips

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Wow! Did everyone bite this? I'm waiting to see a post from "pac o'
lips"! That seemed almost evil:) Classic! I just hope this doesn't
start a trend. I'm laughing just thinking about the things that could be
done to the names & nicknames in this group.

Torture, just torture.

Apoc.

David Alexander S Dial

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Allen J Klown <j...@mit.edu> wrote:
>In article <4nb2nq$i...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu (Kuroyume)
>wrote:
>
>>Correct. ACs are pure garbage. ACs are just another tool for turtles, which
>>they don't need. Turtles have always done well in SF without ACs.
>
>Point out to me one example where AC's are garbage. Every time you could
>have AC'd you could have done a DP. Tom Cannon will back me up on this.

How can Zangief do a DP? Tell me, please. Only the DP wielders can do a
DP, and they are boring as hell to use...

>WHAT IS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AC AND A DP, MOTHER FUCKER?
>Answer this!

One : you have to have at least one level to do an AC. Make that
Two : you have to be awake to do a DP (see below).

>Consider a scenario: Ryu is sitting there. Adon jumps in
>case 1) Ryu DP's
>case 2) Ryu AC's

Consider this situation. I just knocked you down. I jump on you. You try
and DP me, you are crazy. I'll combo you *every*time. It only takes a
little timing to stuff a DP. And that is with *any*one (well, I haven't
tried Dhalsim, but there should be *some* hit that does).

>What's the difference? This is *exactly* the same situation as ST. Ming
>said 4 years ago "if you could have blocked, you could have DP'd". I've

See above case.

>been saving this article for years just so I could quote it, because I
>know he would love for me to use it at this point. And we all know that in
>SFA, you can AC anything you block. So the DP is equivalent to the AC.

If you are awake, yes. If not, and you're getting up, you block and AC.
If you are not Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sagat, or Sakura (did I miss anyone?
maybe Dan, but his is DP slow - even slower than Sakura's I think), you
block and AC. Not everyone uses those boring characters, you know...

-David

Kuroyume

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

: wrote:

: Luckily, there aren't too many of these guys. There are only a handful of

: serious turtles, and only one fat head. I can beat fat head, but it takes

: real patience, and it can be trying. Haha, Bob, you've introduced a new

: term, I think. A fat head is to a turtle as a turtle is to a regular
: player :)

Actually, Milo introduced the term "fat head". Gotta give credit where it's
due. :)

You're right though... fat-heads can be beaten just as well as a "skilled"
player, although it does take a good deal of patience in return to do it.

: You've just described MIT. I was playing yesterday on SFA2, and what do I

: see but two guys playing Ryu and Ken next to me on SFA. (One of these
: guys, the ken, honestly thinks that SFA is the best street fighter ever).
: There was a third guy hanging around playing *gasp* Akuma with them.

Absolutely pathethic. At SDSU, SFA1 is more popular than SFA2 because of the
large "scrub" population here.

"No chain-combos!?!?!? Then I'm not touching SFA2!"

Kuroyume

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

: wrote:

: >I also have mixed feelings about SFA2, but overall I think it is a decent
: >game. Especially when compared with its predecessor.

: See, pops? Once you stop your SFA-bashing and look at the game, you
: actually realize that it isn't so bad. Of course, it's not VH, which is
: the best game ever.

Pops... hehe...

VH - best game ever... hahaha...

: >Correct. ACs are pure garbage. ACs are just another tool for turtles, which

: >they don't need. Turtles have always done well in SF without ACs.

: Point out to me one example where AC's are garbage. Every time you could
: have AC'd you could have done a DP. Tom Cannon will back me up on this.

: WHAT IS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AC AND A DP, MOTHER FUCKER?
: Answer this!

No difference... HEHE...

: Consider a scenario: Ryu is sitting there. Adon jumps in

: case 1) Ryu DP's
: case 2) Ryu AC's

: What's the difference? This is *exactly* the same situation as ST. Ming
: said 4 years ago "if you could have blocked, you could have DP'd". I've
: been saving this article for years just so I could quote it, because I
: know he would love for me to use it at this point. And we all know that in
: SFA, you can AC anything you block. So the DP is equivalent to the AC.

X is always equal to Y. Hahaha...

: >Only good players, for the most part have figured out how to use CCs correctly

: >around here. The scrubs waste their meters all the time by doing CCs at
: >improper times.

: Aha! You said *correctly*! So you are implying that SFA2 isn't trash after
: all! That it requires skill. So then SFA isn't trash either, because a
: couple of weeks ago, Mr Finney said that SFA and SFA2 have the same
: gameplay!

HAHAHAHAHA! <Stop it!!> HAHAHAHAHA!

: If you have problems losing to Ryu players, I suggest playing Adon. My

: adon does fine against Ryu's here at CMU. Your losing to ryu players means
: that you have a skill problem, not that SFA is trash. After all, SFA is
: exactly the same as ST, because you can just replace the AC with the DP.
: And what is your problem with the crouching fierce, holmes? Name ONE

Holmes! WAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! <ouch, my stomach!>

: VERSION of street figther where Ryu didn't have a crouching fierce. It's

: exactly the same as ST!

Crouching fierce... HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!! <I'm wheezing!>

: Aha, so now you say that SFA is worse than SFA2! But if they are good on

: SFA, doesn't that mean that they would have been better on ST, because
: they are the same game, by the fact that crouching fierces are equivalent
: to DP's.

BWAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! <oh God, it's getting hard to breathe!>

: 3 years ago, Brian Weisssman posted that Dhalsim was a really good

: character because of his standing jab. So Dhalsim and Ryu have the *same*
: gameplay. Tom Cannon will back me up on this one.

Back me up on this one! BWWWWAAHHHHEEEEEHEHEHHEE *snort* HAHAWAHAWHAWHAW
*snort* HAHAHAHA!!!!

: Your losing to these Ryu's is because you are so focused on the gameplay

: of ST that you don't realize you are in fact playing the same game! As you
: get out of secondary deep block stun, you have to time your throw so that
: it's invulnerability coincides with the reversal timing on the alpha
: counter.

<tears>

: I know I haven't actually played SFA2 yet, but my theoretical
: arguments hold anyways.

HAHAWAHWHAHHHAHAHWAHHHHAAAAAAA! <more tears and stomach pain>

: By the way, VH had a *perfect* guard reversal

: system, a *perfect* super system, and a *perfect* selection of characters.
: But how did this game do in the US? It bombed. Time to pull out the old
: yankir sarcasm

<Died of laughter>.

You KILLED me, Jul- whoops, Mr. Klown! :) I'll never be able to top this
one!

There you go, Apoc... some life being put back into a.g.sf2. :)

David Spence

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

David Spence (bj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) writes:

> Brian Chan (cha...@sfu.ca) writes:
>> oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu (Onaje umeme Everett) writes:
>>

>>>Allen J Klown (j...@mit.edu) wrote:

>> ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> [Stuff deleted]
>>
>> You'd think that even if somehow you missed the satire, the name and
>> email address would give it away.
>>
>> Julien, great post. ROTFL!

shame on you guys that missed this. go back and read it again! if only my
server would let me do that....!
--
^^^d.spence d.sp...@utoronto.ca U of T Tox 9T6
<<fero non frangor>> bj...@freenet.carleton.ca

Kwang Soo Suh

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Brian Chan (cha...@sfu.ca) wrote:
: oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu (Onaje umeme Everett) writes:

: >Allen J Klown (j...@mit.edu) wrote:
: ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

: [Stuff deleted]

: You'd think that even if somehow you missed the satire, the name and
: email address would give it away.

: Julien, great post. ROTFL!

Gawd, this had to have been the funniest thread I have read in
this group all year!! Man, did everybody fall for that one HARD!

ROTFL x 2!!!

--
"I have a photographic memory, it's just that sometimes the pictures don't
develop!" - Kwang Suh

David Spence

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Brian Chan (cha...@sfu.ca) writes:
> oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu (Onaje umeme Everett) writes:
>

>>Allen J Klown (j...@mit.edu) wrote:

> ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> [Stuff deleted]
>
> You'd think that even if somehow you missed the satire, the name and
> email address would give it away.
>
> Julien, great post. ROTFL!

finally. i was waitng to see who'd recognize this first. truly classic
satiric post. hahahahahahah!!!

Allen J Klein

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Tom, you fool.

That dickhead Julien <g> writes a long (well written?) _parody_ of me.
And YOU reply seriously to it!?!

Holy christ! No wonder people dump on me so much. ^_^

jk

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <4ndh1b$b...@morgoth.sfu.ca>, Brian Chan <cha...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu (Onaje umeme Everett) writes:
>
>>Allen J Klown (j...@mit.edu) wrote:
> ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>[Stuff deleted]
>
>You'd think that even if somehow you missed the satire, the name and
>email address would give it away.
>
>Julien, great post. ROTFL!

Ok...I thought that something was fishy.

Julien got me. Good one. =)

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

AMcMahon

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Allen J Klown wrote:

> >Correct. ACs are pure garbage. ACs are just another tool for turtles, which
> >they don't need. Turtles have always done well in SF without ACs.
>
> Point out to me one example where AC's are garbage. Every time you could
> have AC'd you could have done a DP. Tom Cannon will back me up on this.
>
> WHAT IS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN AC AND A DP, MOTHER FUCKER?
> Answer this!

Calm down you meatheaded mother fucker. I've been reading the
posts on this newsgroup and you have a tendency to attack anyone who
differs in opinion than you. First off, the reviews that were given of
Alpha2 were given on a first time playing bases. So naturally views are
gonna change ver time if you continue to play a game. Am I making myself
clear Klein. Secondly, you've never played the damn game so SHUT THE
HELL UP! You can't have a logical view point on something you know
nothing about. To answer your question in Alpha2 Ryu's dragon punch
doesn't hit low. So if you attack low at the right distance he cannot DP
you. Only option is clear. Block then AC. The reaction time to do a DP
differs greatly from an AC. If you had just thrown a fireball and your
opponent jumps he may have jumped late enough for you to block but not
DP. That precise timing cannot be done or you'll get hit with a
roundhouse. The foot is out and you have a split second to react. You
can:
a)pull back and block
b)try a dragon punch f,df,d,df +p
Which do you think is going to come out faster. The DP isn't as
invulnerable as it use to be therefor increasing the risk of either
getting hit clean or trading.

> If you have problems losing to Ryu players, I suggest playing Adon. My
> adon does fine against Ryu's here at CMU. Your losing to ryu players means
> that you have a skill problem, not that SFA is trash. After all, SFA is
> exactly the same as ST, because you can just replace the AC with the DP.
> And what is your problem with the crouching fierce, holmes? Name ONE
> VERSION of street figther where Ryu didn't have a crouching fierce. It's
> exactly the same as ST!

You STUPID FUCK! Play the GOD DAMN GAME FIRST for crying out
loud. Do you honestly think everyone on the internet is retarded. Do you
think all the posts about the cr. fierces and other anti-air moves were
because they all lacked the skill to play. WAKE UP MORON. Quit trying to
find an argument with someone and get a life. Try reading the posts and
understanding them first. Maybe your little brain will learn something.
Every character has a cr. fierce yes but they didn't have the same
priority over air moves as they do now. Do you understand? DO YOU?

I know I haven't actually played SFA2 yet

Exactly, you havn't played yet and that's all any of us need to
know when reading your lame arguments in attempt to flame someone for
your insecurities.

***************************************
* I'm your master. Pain is a state *
* of mind and I don't mind your pain. *
* Dhalsim *
***************************************

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <clapeaa00...@andrew.cmu.edu>,

Allen J Klein <aj...@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>Tom, you fool.
>
>That dickhead Julien <g> writes a long (well written?) _parody_ of me.
>And YOU reply seriously to it!?!

Someone give me a title for this one. Something a kin to "Kook of the Month,"
only without the Kook. That's Ok. I'll get Julien back in the finals
of WarZoneMania on the 26th. "Troll me, will you?!" *thwap*

[snip]

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Kuroyume

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Allen J Klein (aj...@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
: Tom, you fool.

: That dickhead Julien <g> writes a long (well written?) _parody_ of me.
: And YOU reply seriously to it!?!

Only because Julien did such a WONDERFUL job.

I'm surprised he didn't fool you as well...

Allen J Klein

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 15-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new,
eh .. by Benjamin Louis Hayek@stu
> Allen, stop trying to be funny while trying to make a point. It just
> doesn't work, because you accomplish neither. Maybe you should move
> to r.g.v.a.

One of these days I'll come up with the courage to start posting to
alt.bitterness. Heh, if it works out y'all will be rid of yanknir for
good. ^_^

al

Chris Finnie

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

In article <4ngdcv$1...@gondor.sdsu.edu>, pai...@rohan.sdsu.edu says...

>Allen J Klein (aj...@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
>: Tom, you fool.
>
>: That dickhead Julien <g> writes a long (well written?) _parody_ of
me.
>: And YOU reply seriously to it!?!
>
>Only because Julien did such a WONDERFUL job.
>
>I'm surprised he didn't fool you as well...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

chris

Allen J Klein

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 16-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new,
eh .. by Kuro...@rohan.sdsu.edu
> I'm surprised he didn't fool you as well...

Hmm...

Well, I've been using netscape to post as Jackie Onassis
<jb...@whitehouse.gov> on a local rowing "bboard" so I'm kinda alert to
these things.

Bob Dole

Onaje umeme Everett

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Brian Chan (cha...@sfu.ca) wrote:
: oeve...@mail.sdsu.edu (Onaje umeme Everett) writes:

: >Allen J Klown (j...@mit.edu) wrote:
: ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

: [Stuff deleted]

: You'd think that even if somehow you missed the satire, the name and
: email address would give it away.

Sorry...I was driven by getting by friend's back. I was in a blind rage
I guess.

Kuroyume

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

Allen J Klein (aj...@andrew.cmu.edu) wrote:
: Excerpts from netnews.alt.games.sf2: 16-May-96 Re: SFA2...nothing new,

: Hmm...

Okay...

: Bob Dole

Best wishes in getting creamed in the election, pineapple-head.

Bill Clinton

David Chun-Yuan Chen

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

WHAT the HELL??

who in the world thinks that Ryu is a bad character.

yes, he can turtle up more than Charlie, but hell, he's at his best when
he attacks.

crouching fierce??? are y'all idiots?
you can hit him with a timed jumping fierce any day of the weak.

i don'ty believe i'm hearing complaints about a crouching fierce.
it' sbeen around since SF1 and it's always had the same
solution. what the f* are you guys whining about........

there is no "GOOD" defensive Ryu. a good Ryu
must attack.
of course ryu is gonna try to drill you down with the firball, but that's
his strength. just anticipate a little and jump and punch.

i'm a Ken player but Ryu is a bit stronger on alpha2.
Ryu has a corner trap with fireballs whereas Ken does not.

ALPHA counters???? it's a great addition to the
game. it allows for a person to get back at an all aggressive
player. i personally think that a level 2 should never be
AC-able but then again, who ever does a level 2? usually, it's
level 1 or 3.

The AC makes the worst character playable to a degree.

the CC is so cool. it allows the winner to show-off.
heck, it allows, anyone to show off.

what's the best CC you have done?

i got in a level3 CC with Ken at approx. 40%.

it hit with short, spinkick(rndhs), down fierce, small dragon (2),
large dragon. it was by accident that i got the second
small dragon. i got confused in the moment and did the
large one but hit the jab and then i got the large one in after it.

CAPCOM has finally done a decent job.

later,
dave
David Chen

gt2...@prism.gatech.edu

"Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge.
Others.... gargle."
-Hot Pursuit

Jeffrey Nevins

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

: the CC is so cool. it allows the winner to show-off.

: heck, it allows, anyone to show off.

: what's the best CC you have done?

My best CC was w/Birdie; I did some moves, connected, K.O.ed & ended the
whole deal w/a yawn (his taunt). Now that's a cool victory move!

Jeff Nevins

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

In article <4o56fu$4...@news.csus.edu>,

I have a better one. Jason Nelson did something similar in the corner
with Sakura (juggling with the CC). Right after the KO, he did Sakura's
taunt and the poor guy was juggled three times on Sakura's pointing
finger in super slow motion. =)

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Weslie

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96
to David Chun-Yuan Chen

On 17 May 1996, David Chun-Yuan Chen wrote:

> WHAT the HELL??
>
> who in the world thinks that Ryu is a bad character.

I think Ryu's the best too!

> i got in a level3 CC with Ken at approx. 40%.
>
> it hit with short, spinkick(rndhs), down fierce, small dragon (2),
> large dragon. it was by accident that i got the second
> small dragon. i got confused in the moment and did the
> large one but hit the jab and then i got the large one in after it.

I've seen one where Ryu just keep doing small dragons and keep the
opponent in mid air... little cheap, but that's CC for ya!!

> CAPCOM has finally done a decent job.

No doubt

- Weslie

..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..aaAAaa..

_
a88g, d88b,
_ "q8g 88'`88,
d88b Y8b l8f l8l
88'`8b Y8b I8 l8;
" d88 q8l 88 88 ,db,
,88' d8I _ _ l8 d8' `99' _
,8I ,88' d88b, d8b 8b88 d88b,
d88 dA d8Y If' "8l d8 88, 888' db If' "8l ,b
l8f 888b ,88 8b d8' ,df '8l ,d8"8, d88; 8b d8' ,8f
I8b ,88 I8b, d88' d888' ,d88b ,8f ,a8f'`88, d8`8b d888' d9"
"8g8I" "8gg88P a8" "88g8f' '48g88g9" `Tg9" Y8g8" "88gg89"

Name : Weslie Leung
E-mail : whyl...@acs.ucalgary.ca
Study : 1st year General Studies at University of Calgary

''ttggtt''ttggtt''ttggtt''ttggtt''ttggtt''ttggtt''ttggtt''ttggtt''ttggtt''