The Triple Option

Viscant

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
OK, in IRC and other places, I've had a few requests from people for a detailed
synopsis of this little series for Zangief. Let me start by saying this is
only true for MvC, but for MvSF it also works...in principle. The main
difference is that after an MP throw, in MvC you have a guaranteed combo. In
MvSF, you may need to do a couple of aerial SPDs to loosen resistance so that
the jab is open. It's not quite as effective there, but comparitively it does
such huge damage it's worth the work. OK, here we go.

To start the triple option, you have to get them in the air and start up the
combo. This can be achieved with either a standard pop-up or an MP throw. The
reason the triple option only works so well in this game is because on most
characters (Mega Man and Ryu are the only exceptions because of their
incredibly quick air recovery time), an MP throw means an automatic combo.
Now, after you pop them, the combo to use is jab, forward, lariat. Then step
forward and do a jumping back D+forward (the knee). The timing here is
incredibly important. You want to knee them as low as possible without OTGing
them. This is the easy part.

Now for the fun part. You have three main options at this point, hence the
name, the triple option. Your options are either an MP throw, a pop-up
(D+strong) or an FAB. You'll mainly want to concentrate on the MP throw or the
pop-up because you can get off the FAB if you screw up. It's just style points
if you land the FAB immediately after.

The pop-up is the most desired outcome. The opponent, realizing that he has
recovered after the aerial knee, will usually try an attack if he's never seen
this before. Some people even make it easy on you by banging on the buttons,
giving away their plans. Just pop up the second you hit the ground and it's
back to the air they go. Against the savvy player though, they probably won't
give their attack away until late. My best way of determining an incoming
attack is that their aerial rolling position usually holds true in a set
pattern, but will break if they are attacking. You're in a position so that
you can react to any attack and hit them if you're quick about it.

If they block all the way down, you're going to have to MP throw them again for
another guaranteed combo. It's easy and risk free, because nothing happens if
you screw up. You'll just chop. Now, if you did that, or if your pop-up was
blocked...if it's at the right height, you get the FAB...free. Just
immediately cancel and usually they'll be stuck in blockstun until right before
they hit the ground, which is too late for them to stick out an attack that'll
stop Zangief in his super armor pose. Same with the blocked aerial chop.

Any questions? Happy hunting with Zangief. If you get off an MP throw, a
pop-up, or an SJing aerial jab, the character is dead. It's better than any
infinite, and it takes some measure of skill to do. And BTW: for all of you
out there in the SD area, MvC tournament at the Starworks inside the Mission
Valley Mall. Call (619) 294-2001 for more information. $3 entry fee, show up
at 4 at the latest to sign up, it'll start at 5. This Sunday, the 22nd. Mail
me if you want to warm up a bit beforehand, or just show up and look for me.
See ya!

--Viscant, The Icy Rose
"If this was all luck, shouldn't you have won one by now?!"

o_ev...@hotmail.com

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
In article <19981119023027...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

vis...@aol.com (Viscant) wrote:
> And BTW: for all of you
> out there in the SD area, MvC tournament at the Starworks inside the Mission
> Valley Mall. Call (619) 294-2001 for more information. $3 entry fee, show up
> at 4 at the latest to sign up, it'll start at 5. This Sunday, the 22nd. Mail
> me if you want to warm up a bit beforehand, or just show up and look for me.
> See ya!

Wait a minute....you actually live here...or you just visit?

If so, you SHOULD be checking out Aztec Amusement Center and Nickel City in
Mira Mesa. That's where I go, anyway (when I have money). :)

--
Onaje Everett
o_ev...@hotmail.com

Viscant

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
>Wait a minute....you actually live here...or you just visit?
>
>If so, you SHOULD be checking out Aztec Amusement Center and Nickel City in
>Mira Mesa. That's where I go, anyway (when I have money). :)

Yeah...I now live here, sad to say. I miss my LA area arcades, and I really
haven't had much time to game here. Still, on Migs' message board I heard
about this little tournament, and because I just love my VS games, I thought
that I'd try and get a few more people interested to up the stakes a little,
you know. Heh. Do me a favor and tell all the VS. scrubs where you live to
come on out. They haven't really publicized this very much, and the take might
not be very high. I've actually never been to this place either. Sounds kinda
unprofessional...but I'm always game. Hope the sticks'll be working...

I will show up at Nickel City soon. I'm just building the anticipation...yeah,
that's it! No, I'm just kinda busy with my first quarter of school here and
all. And besides, I will get thrashed at A3, seeing as how I'm brutally out of
practise. Maybe at one of the weeklies I'll show up and show you all the power
of Mika. Maybe. Keep your fingers crossed, I guess. ^_-

--Viscant, The Icy Rose

Mike Z

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
You're welcome.
:^)
BTW, in MSF a jumping Lariat works better, since you either hit and get
to continue or miss and land first for the FAB.....
--
Mike Z--The Zangief Solution:
They jump/duck/punch/kick/Super/special/throw attempt?

Ultima

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Viscant wrote:

[SLASH]

> Any questions?

What do you do against a Chun Li who constantly jumps in and out mashing
Roundhouse, using the mid-air lightning to keep you out and do block
damage, jumps away and repeats? He never misses an air chain into ground
chain into super, dashes under you if jump and then goes for ground
chain--> super, and he also uses Lou into air dash air chain for
nigh-unavoidable high/low cheese. What do I do?

> Happy hunting with Zangief. If you get off an MP throw, a
> pop-up, or an SJing aerial jab, the character is dead. It's better than any infinite, and it takes some measure of skill to do.

Yeec. I don't think I can keep up that pattern long enough to beat this
guy with. I'm not used to basing my *entire* game around one pattern,
and only one pattern. >:(

[snip]

--
Ultima
http://members.xoom.com/Ultima1 - The Street Fighter RPG Manifesto!

"If an arcade doesn't have a version of SF or SS in it, then it's not an
arcade"

Viscant

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
>You're welcome.
>:^)
>BTW, in MSF a jumping Lariat works better, since you either hit and get
>to continue or miss and land first for the FAB.....

Oh fine. Thank you Mike Z for trying to convince me that that infinite will
really work (still can't do it. Have since given up and concluded that you
must be on some kind of beta version.). Thank you Mike Z for trying to
convince me that I suck so that I'd get pissed and go on a mad MvC frenzy.
Thanks again. ^_^

On the MSF jumping lariat...can't people use air alter moves such as the drill
claw or an aerial hadoken to avoid coming down to the ground? They don't seem
to be in blockstun for long enough. I remember trying that. And people have a
nasty habit of jumping out of my FAB in that game. My main team doesn't even
have Zangief anymore in that game. I usually stick with "Team Pink" of
Shuma/Dan or Wolverine/Shuma.

--Viscant, The Icy Rose

o_ev...@hotmail.com

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <19981119162832...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

vis...@aol.com (Viscant) wrote:
> >Wait a minute....you actually live here...or you just visit?
> >
> >If so, you SHOULD be checking out Aztec Amusement Center and Nickel City in
> >Mira Mesa. That's where I go, anyway (when I have money). :)
> >

> Yeah...I now live here, sad to say. I miss my LA area arcades, and I really
> haven't had much time to game here. Still, on Migs' message board I heard
> about this little tournament, and because I just love my VS games, I thought
> that I'd try and get a few more people interested to up the stakes a little,
> you know. Heh. Do me a favor and tell all the VS. scrubs where you live to
> come on out. They haven't really publicized this very much, and the take
might
> not be very high. I've actually never been to this place either. Sounds
kinda
> unprofessional...but I'm always game. Hope the sticks'll be working...

Expect to see stuff like....75 cents to play SF3. Heh....I've only been
inside that arcade once. That place is definitely the worst arcade in
SD...but hey...they have big screens on tons of games. :P

> I will show up at Nickel City soon. I'm just building the
anticipation...yeah,
> that's it! No, I'm just kinda busy with my first quarter of school here and
> all.

Where do you go to school? I'm at Mesa Community College, myself.

As for being rusty at A3, well....are my posts giving me away, yet? :)

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
In article <3654A1...@worldnet.att.net>,

Mike Z <jzai...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>You're welcome.
>:^)
>BTW, in MSF a jumping Lariat works better, since you either hit and get
>to continue or miss and land first for the FAB.....

And it's better in XMvsSF too; pull out the oh-so-amazing one move
infinite...

Mike Z

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
> Oh fine. Thank you Mike Z for trying to convince me that that infinite will
> really work (still can't do it. Have since given up and concluded that you
> must be on some kind of beta version.). Thank you Mike Z for trying to
> convince me that I suck so that I'd get pissed and go on a mad MvC frenzy.
> Thanks again. ^_^

If that's sarcasm, you didn't have to do that. (Though you wouldn't be
Viscant if you *didn't* do that....)
I was just saying it because I was the one who started doing the Knee,
is all, which nobody ever seems to mention - I even have tons of people
claiming my FAQs as their own, dammit....BTW, I *can* still do the
infinite, and people are still blocking my jumping Jab after the lifter,
so I guess we'll never solve that whole thing....though I don't play it
much anymore, since I found I like MSF and A3 better. Go fig....
OTOH, if it wasn't sarcasm, why did it sound like it?
Thanks, Viscant, for proving that Zangief is worth something in MvC.
Really. I'd have played him anyway, but hey....

> On the MSF jumping lariat...can't people use air alter moves such as the drill
> claw or an aerial hadoken to avoid coming down to the ground? They don't seem
> to be in blockstun for long enough. I remember trying that. And people have a
> nasty habit of jumping out of my FAB in that game. My main team doesn't even
> have Zangief anymore in that game. I usually stick with "Team Pink" of
> Shuma/Dan or Wolverine/Shuma.

If they use an air alter move, you've already jumped again to get them
with an air SPD. The Lariat falls FAST in that game....
OTOH, what I meant was if they try to counterhit you, you'll hit them,
is all.
My main team is OR and Z...who are both Russian, which I didn't realize
until Jack Lin pointed it out....

Viscant

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
>If that's sarcasm, you didn't have to do that. (Though you wouldn't be
>Viscant if you *didn't* do that....)

Man...who thought of me as a sarcastic guy. I never would have guessed. Oh
well. The thanks were supposed to be in a joking tone, because if you remember
our e-mail thing, I mentioned that I was working on my weak try at a true
infinite (which only works for 2 series'), and also the head butt thing. Which
works almost as well. But still, thank you.

>.BTW, I *can* still do the
>infinite, and people are still blocking my jumping Jab after the lifter,

Can't do the infinite, and the only characters that can block me on the way up
are Ryu and MM due to their recovery time. You must be getting up too slowly.
Because I've had people try this out and other people have had a hard time
doing it...but it never really fails for me. Sure, I screw up once or twice,
but other than that, it's a sure combo for me.

>If they use an air alter move, you've already jumped again to get them
>with an air SPD. The Lariat falls FAST in that game....

I'll work on it...but MSF and I never got along. Omega Red got on my nerves
really quickly. Still, it has merit because Dan is better than Ken in that
one. Heh!

>My main team is OR and Z...who are both Russian, which I didn't realize
>until Jack Lin pointed it out....

Damn commies. ^_^

--Viscant, The Icy Rose

Viscant

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
>What do you do against a Chun Li who constantly jumps in and out mashing
>Roundhouse, using the mid-air lightning to keep you out and do block
>damage, jumps away and repeats?

Get on top of her real quickly and get above her. Exercise in futility
perhaps, but I'll angle it so that if she wants to stay above me she'll have to
angle herself into the corner. Then she comes down into an MP throw, then it's
over for her. If you can't do that, just push block a lot and use your
2-on-1s. Since I'm with Wolverine all the time, she's either eating Fatal Claw
or FAB...then Fatal Claw!

>He never misses an air chain into ground
>chain into super

Well, if you're talking about the stomp combo...there's a hole in that.
Zangief steps forward, gets off the MP throw when she hits the ground...then
you know the rest.

> he also uses Lou into air dash air chain for
>nigh-unavoidable high/low cheese.

It is easily avoidable. Pick a side and block. I like to jump forward and
hold block. You may not like unlimited air block, but do make sure you take
advantage of the fact that it's there.

>Yeec. I don't think I can keep up that pattern long enough to beat this
>guy with. I'm not used to basing my *entire* game around one pattern,
>and only one pattern. >:(

It's not my entire game plan. Just 90% of it. My inescapable 2-on-1s play
some part in it! =) Seriously though, it's my right to have a fair counter
against serious Strider crap. And you also still have your complement of usual
Zangief tricks, like tick throws and pressure tactics with your dash. This
makes the game much more like the older SFs. Once Zangief landed that SPD in
CE, it was over; once he gets his MP throw in MvC, it's over. The more things
change, the more they stay the same! Slightly easier task this time around.
Enjoy!

--Viscant, The Icy Rose

Shaunlar

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
Amigo, tell me you have Colossus in your hip pocket! When Lou comes out
firing, push block his arrows and the Chunster can't get near ya. If she makes
the mistake of jumping in on you, send Colossus to protect you and then super.
If you're using Zangief, stay in the corner when she tries her ariel combos.
Stay calm, stand block the 2 or 3 air hits and, still holding back, tap MP to
toss her up before she starts a ground chain. You should know what to do
next...

Shauno!

Mike Z

Nov 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/20/98
> Man...who thought of me as a sarcastic guy. I never would have guessed. Oh
> well. The thanks were supposed to be in a joking tone, because if you remember
> our e-mail thing, I mentioned that I was working on my weak try at a true
> infinite (which only works for 2 series'), and also the head butt thing. Which
> works almost as well. But still, thank you.

I remember, all too clearly. :^P
I'm assuming you mean it that time, so you're welcome.
And thanks again for redeeming MvC by giving Z some uses...otherwise I
would have abandoned it long ago.
Well, I still did, but that's beside the point. ^_~
Now on to meaningful stuff....

> >.BTW, I *can* still do the
> >infinite, and people are still blocking my jumping Jab after the lifter,
> Can't do the infinite, and the only characters that can block me on the way up
> are Ryu and MM due to their recovery time. You must be getting up too slowly.
> Because I've had people try this out and other people have had a hard time
> doing it...but it never really fails for me. Sure, I screw up once or twice,
> but other than that, it's a sure combo for me.

Mebbe so. I'd still rather be able to do the infinite, but I stopped
playing MvC.
At any rate, Zangief became a killer once again.....it probably was my
timing, I never could seem to get moves right if he was
offscreen....'cept the ToD, of course, but that's 'cause I had years of
practice.
Though I still maintain that it's not a combo for one simple reason: If
they're hit in any recovery animation (i.e. an unblockable thing) it
counts on the combometer. Suplex->Sweep = 2 hits in the corner, yet
lifter->Jab doesn't count, which means they're not in recovery anymore.
Although:
You *could* be quick enough to catch them after recovery but during
block delay (yes there is block delay, even in MvC. That's why you have
to block a close Super before the Super flash) which would make it
unblockable but still not a combo, however....that seems more reasonable
then a combo that's not counted....

> >If they use an air alter move, you've already jumped again to get them
> >with an air SPD. The Lariat falls FAST in that game....
> I'll work on it...but MSF and I never got along. Omega Red got on my nerves
> really quickly. Still, it has merit because Dan is better than Ken in that
> one. Heh!

Oh, I *love* OR. The comp. is annoying as him, but playing him is sheer
joy. Carbanadium Smasher (which is spelled like that, wrong, in the
game also). It's the Russian Revolution, y'know....

> >My main team is OR and Z...who are both Russian, which I didn't realize
> >until Jack Lin pointed it out....
> Damn commies. ^_^

Hey, they're launching the first piece of the Internation Space Station
(which the US paid for, but anyway) and they also provided us with hours
of entertainment. Plus the Cold War, and of course, without them
there'd be no Zangief, and no Zangief means no fun for me....

FUSON 909

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Yeah you with Gief in MvC, you can crossup with Fierce,do a low short,and if it
connects (must be a deep crossup which lands your Gief right next to the
opponent) 2 in 1 into the FAB..its un reversable.If you dont believe me , just
try it out.easy but effective