Beta MvC2 Top Tier

Mr. Ken Faced

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
Here is what I'm seeing as the pre-lim top tier... in NO particular order.

Iceman. For obvious reasons. He can combo into super easy, and he decimates
big guys with keepaway and the right helpers. He's also good off-screen, and
taking no block damage from beams is a huge advantage.

Doom. See Iceman, except his MAIN perk is his Molecular Sheild assist. This
is just too good...

CapCom. Amazing keepaway, on and off screen. Plus, when you get close, huge
damage throw... oh yeah, and his short, power combos just plain hurt. CapCom
is a force.

Jug. Infinite power-up. Headcrush. Off-screen goodness. Enough said. Oh
yeah, and curse you Choc, for posting that evil trick :D

Cable. Keepaway. Off screen goodness. Nasty combos and traps... is it just
me or is 90% of this game keepaway? :)

Thanos. Infinite, DAMAGE supers, major power, and priority. Thanos is a tank.

Collossus. Do I really need to explain this? He is just evil with his short
kill combos, his super armor... priority, and put it this way: he can kill
most helpers if you don't protect them after ONE assist. Damn...

If I forgot any, let me know. At least we have a pretty wide top tier. And
thankfully no one seems to be in their own tier yet, and there's also seeming
to be a good upper-tier, too.

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In article <20000501132727...@ng-fy1.news.cs.com>,

Mr. Ken Faced <mrf...@cs.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>Here is what I'm seeing as the pre-lim top tier... in NO particular order.

Sentinel could/should find his way in here if only because he can
survive quite a bit more punishment - you know, ONE extra combo.

>CapCom. Amazing keepaway, on and off screen. Plus, when you get close, huge
>damage throw... oh yeah, and his short, power combos just plain hurt. CapCom
>is a force.

Does this throw do 100% or waste all the time or something? It
wasn't clear.

>Jug. Infinite power-up. Headcrush. Off-screen goodness. Enough said. Oh
>yeah, and curse you Choc, for posting that evil trick :D

Power up thing is unreal. He ALREADY killed some characters
straight up with the 8 hitter, now only Ice Samurai, Sentinel, and like
Colossus can survive on damage 2.

>Cable. Keepaway. Off screen goodness. Nasty combos and traps... is it just
>me or is 90% of this game keepaway? :)

Not really. Yes, Cable can royally $$$$ you up if get tagged with
a projectile and he's got meter, but so can most of the cast. Do not get
hit by Ken's crouch fierce.

>Thanos. Infinite, DAMAGE supers, major power, and priority. Thanos is a tank.

>Collossus. Do I really need to explain this? He is just evil with his short
>kill combos, his super armor... priority, and put it this way: he can kill
>most helpers if you don't protect them after ONE assist. Damn...

Holy crap, *that's an air combo*...

>If I forgot any, let me know. At least we have a pretty wide top tier. And
>thankfully no one seems to be in their own tier yet, and there's also seeming
>to be a good upper-tier, too.

Ken and Guile might find their way in here as strong pixies. Both do 50%
off any launch without meter, Ken has a decently useful infinite,
Guile flash kick assist is one of the fastest and most invulnerable
is the game AFAIK, etc..

Almost everyone in this game is at least useful. The only really bad ones
are roll (worthless), kobun (and even he's ok against some characters),
and a few pixies. Even Akuma, who dies when your opponent presses a
button or two, has some nice BS to use.
--
Shaun P. McIsaac
(773) 834 - 6508

Mr. Ken Faced

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
> Sentinel could/should find his way in here if only because he can
>survive quite a bit more punishment - you know, ONE extra combo.

I was going to put him in. The only problem is that anyone with good keepaway
just wastes him because he's such a target and so slow, plus HOW many Sentinel
only jump-in infinites are there? ^_^

> Does this throw do 100% or waste all the time or something? It
>wasn't clear.

100% damage.

> Not really. Yes, Cable can royally $$$$ you up if get tagged with
>a projectile and he's got meter, but so can most of the cast. Do not get
>hit by Ken's crouch fierce.

Yes, but Cable's keepaway with the grenades, FP, Viper Beam, etc., is just
about as good as any other...

>Ken and Guile might find their way in here as strong pixies. Both do 50%
>off any launch without meter, Ken has a decently useful infinite,
>Guile flash kick assist is one of the fastest and most invulnerable
>is the game AFAIK, etc..

I myself have thought about Ken, too, but the Air HK is ALL he has. Also, it's
not as easy as pop-up, air HK, you have to time it just right, and if you add a
jab/short before it to dumb it up and make it easier, it takes off a lot less.
Akuma actually does this better, but since he takes damage so bad, forget it.

Spider-Dan

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In article <MRjP4.78$v3.1195@uchinews>,

spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:

>>Cable. Keepaway. Off screen goodness. Nasty combos and
traps... is it just
>>me or is 90% of this game keepaway? :)
>

> Not really. Yes, Cable can royally $$$$ you up if get
tagged with
>a projectile and he's got meter, but so can most of the cast.

Uhhh... it's a bit more than that. Air Hyper Viper Beam is
basically the best move in the game; beats basically all
projectiles, huge coverage, good damage, almost instant startup,
completely safe, if you connect with one you get to use up the
rest of your meter immediately and basically kill your
opponent. When Cable has meter, basically any assist you call is
subject to mad damage/death (there are under 10 moves in the game
that can stop AHVB *at all* if you're on the same screen as
Cable), and many of your moves become unusable because he can
retaliate with AHVB and juggle with more AHVBs until you die.

The guy that got 2nd at the SHGL MVC2 tourney on Saturday
reportedly did so by charging up 5 levels with whiffed Omega
Strikes, bringing Cable in with full meter, and running at the
opponent while calling Zangief(!) lariat assist.... if you call a
helper it's dead, if you get hit by Zangief lariat you're dead,
etc.

--
Dan Thompson
[send email to] edge [at] chipware [dot] net

Tom Cannon

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In article <20000501155616...@ng-fy1.news.cs.com>,

Mr. Ken Faced <mrf...@cs.comNOSPAM> wrote:

[snip]

>> Does this throw do 100% or waste all the time or something? It
>>wasn't clear.
>
>100% damage.

Er, how does Captain Commando do 100% off a throw?

Tom

Spider-Dan

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In article <390df3a9$0$2...@nntp1.ba.best.com>, web...@best.com

..sigh...

Commando can, and always has been able to, continue his
electrocution throw indefinitely and take off 100% damage, by way
of furious mashing. However, this has does not work against
humans, because you can countermash and escape. This is the case
in both MVCs.

Kazumi Jin has mentioned how to escape several times and the
other poster seems to have ignored him, or something.

Anthony Cannon

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00

Tom Cannon <web...@best.com> wrote:
>In article <20000501155616...@ng-fy1.news.cs.com>,
>Mr. Ken Faced <mrf...@cs.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>

>>> Does this throw do 100% or waste all the time or something? It
>>>wasn't clear.
>>
>>100% damage.
>
>Er, how does Captain Commando do 100% off a throw?

Throw with rh and MASH the buttons and stick (either rotating the stick
or wiggling back and forth work equally well. The point is to get as
many buttons presses in as possible). The throw will end as soon
as you stop mashing (or get so damn tired that you don't mash hard
enough). Keep going and let them go when they lose their whole
life bar.

--
Tony Cannon
pon...@best.com

Shaun Patrick Mcisaac

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
In article <164ee46e...@usw-ex0101-006.remarq.com>,

Spider-Dan <spid...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>In article <MRjP4.78$v3.1195@uchinews>,
>spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
>
>>>Cable. Keepaway. Off screen goodness. Nasty combos and
>traps... is it just
>>>me or is 90% of this game keepaway? :)
>>
>> Not really. Yes, Cable can royally $$$$ you up if get
>tagged with
>>a projectile and he's got meter, but so can most of the cast.
>
>Uhhh... it's a bit more than that. Air Hyper Viper Beam is
>basically the best move in the game;

<ZIP> I'm not trying to say he's not good - I know he's the best of his
'type'. I was just saying that the game doesn't appear to be 90%
keepaway (or lockdown, which is what you described - there's a
difference).

>The guy that got 2nd at the SHGL MVC2 tourney on Saturday
>reportedly did so by charging up 5 levels with whiffed Omega
>Strikes, bringing Cable in with full meter, and running at the
>opponent while calling Zangief(!) lariat assist.... if you call a
>helper it's dead, if you get hit by Zangief lariat you're dead,
>etc.

Well, there's something wrong with letting your opponent charge up
to 5 levels in MvC2, so I am curious as to how this Omega Red thing plays
(visions of XMvsSF Storm are going through my head). That being said,
you should rarely need to have more than 2 levels to wax someone with that
MAHVB (multiple air hyper viper beam) combo, unless they have ice samurai
or sentinel or something like than. Time to go find the cable counter
characters.

Brian Yip

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
"Mr. Ken Faced" wrote:

> CapCom. Amazing keepaway, on and off screen. Plus, when you get close, huge
> damage throw... oh yeah, and his short, power combos just plain hurt. CapCom
> is a force.

Cool... my wild card character is finding his way to the top! Don't forget to
mention that his anti-air assist is damn good as well...

> Cable. Keepaway. Off screen goodness. Nasty combos and traps... is it just
> me or is 90% of this game keepaway? :)

This guy is insane for keepaway. I have no trouble agreeing here. One question
though... If you land the regular gun and hit someone in the air, can that be
cancelled into psimitar XX hyper viper beam? Cuz normally when the gun is landed on
someone in the air, then cancelled into the HVB on the ground, the opponent is able
to block. If cancelled into the DP, then air HVB, does that connect?

> If I forgot any, let me know. At least we have a pretty wide top tier. And
> thankfully no one seems to be in their own tier yet, and there's also seeming
> to be a good upper-tier, too.

Hey... what about GUILE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! For a guy w/ only 2 special moves (I dunno
if air flash kick counts as a 3rd...)... the classic brush cut killing machine from
WW can't avoid the top tier!

I can't really think of anyone else... but it'd be cool to see maybe Jill or Hayato
up here too... I dunno about them though.

Mr. Ken Faced

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
>Hey... what about GUILE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! For a guy w/ only 2 special moves (I
>dunno
>if air flash kick counts as a 3rd...)... the classic brush cut killing
>machine from
>WW can't avoid the top tier!

Guile's upper-mid. No more, no less. He's good, but he can't compete with the
listed characters in top tier...

Mr. Ken Faced

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
>Commando can, and always has been able to, continue his
>electrocution throw indefinitely and take off 100% damage, by way
>of furious mashing. However, this has does not work against
>humans, because you can countermash and escape. This is the case
>in both MVCs.
>
>Kazumi Jin has mentioned how to escape several times and the
>other poster seems to have ignored him, or something.

I realize that the opponent can mash out, IF they can out-mash you. It's
overall a horrible tactic that destroys controllers... and in MvC, it only
worked vs. CPU.

Even if they outmash you, they won't escape until at least more than 25% has
been depleted. That's nasty.

Spider-Dan

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
In article <IaoP4.97$v3.1687@uchinews>,

spmc...@midway.uchicago.edu (Shaun Patrick Mcisaac) wrote:
>In article <164ee46e...@usw-ex0101-006.remarq.com>,
>Spider-Dan <spid...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>traps... is it just
>>>
>>> Not really. Yes, Cable can royally $$$$ you up if get
>>tagged with
>>>a projectile and he's got meter, but so can most of the cast.
>>
>>Uhhh... it's a bit more than that. Air Hyper Viper Beam is
>>basically the best move in the game;
>
><ZIP> I'm not trying to say he's not good - I know he's the best
of his
>'type'. I was just saying that the game doesn't appear to be
90%
>keepaway (or lockdown, which is what you described - there's a
>difference).

Sorry for snipping the attributions... Mr. Ken Faced is the one
who implied that MVC2 is "90% keepaway," not I.

Mr. Ken Faced

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
>Sorry for snipping the attributions... Mr. Ken Faced is the one
>who implied that MVC2 is "90% keepaway," not I.

The reason I say that isn't an exact mathematical number... but rather due to
the fact that most of the top tier characters rely on keepaway attacks/helper
patterns to win their matches.