Combo inconsistencies

Seth James Killian

Apr 27, 1993, 2:45:57 PM4/27/93

Just another very minor but important insight into combo's
that I have not seen discussed. A combo ain't a combo unless it
HITS. This means exactly what it says. The moves must connect and
hurt the opponent with non-blocked damage. The point is that if,
for example, a Ryu/Ken manages to jump in on you, and you decide to
block, for whatever reason, that little aerial roundhouse, crouching
forward, FB is not a combo anymore. This means that not all the hits
will _necessarily_ connect. Against a perfectly executed combo of the
aforementioned variety, Ryu, for example, can HK through the FB and
nail the opponent. This does not mean the attacker screwed something
up, on the contrary, the "combo" came off perfectly. But you still
got hit. Zangief can also SPD out of this combo, although it is
significantly more difficult. Against certain characters with no
move involving invulnerability or other special techniques, it may
still be a combo when blocked, but not always.

On an unrelated note, I _fireballed_ through one of computer
Dhalsim's own fireballs. This does not mean that we both threw a FB,
and they went through each other. It means that I went for a DP after
being knocked down to avoid taking block damage from Dhalsims FB. I
screwed up the DP (*gasp*) and threw a jab FB instead. My FB passed
through Dhlasims, and sailed away, but Dhalsims FB went through me
without touching me. It just appeared behind me and rolled off the
screen. I have never seen anything like this before, and probably
never will again, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone has had
a similiar experience. The game also seemed to "jiggle" at the instant
I passed through the FB, which is not unusual for HF machines, as the
chip adaptation is not 100% perfect. But I have never seen it actually
effect gameplay before...

Seth Killian

John Nishinaga

Apr 28, 1993, 6:55:16 AM4/28/93

> On an unrelated note, I _fireballed_ through one of computer
> Dhalsim's own fireballs. This does not mean that we both threw a
> FB, and they went through each other. It means that I went for a
> DP after being knocked down to avoid taking block damage from
> Dhalsims FB. I screwed up the DP (*gasp*) and threw a jab FB
> instead. My FB passed through Dhlasims, and sailed away, but
> Dhalsims FB went through me without touching me. It just appeared
> behind me and rolled off the screen. I have never seen anything
> like this before, and probably never will again, but I thought I'd
> mention it in case anyone has had a similiar experience.

After thinking about it, I believe that might not be glitch! That's
considering how Ryu/Ken's fireball motion frame is so abrupt and how
Dhalsim's Fireball is relatively small. (I'm also assuming it was a
Fierce/Fast Fireball.) The only caveat is that even if it is reproducable, it
probably requires some really good timing as none (I think) have discovered
this until now.
--
John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

Layne A. Robinson

Apr 28, 1993, 4:37:20 PM4/28/93
John Nishinaga (jnis...@netcom.com) wrote:

: > On an unrelated note, I _fireballed_ through one of computer

How close were you when you did it? Could it be the same spacing as when the
Yoga Flame doesn't touch you? or maybe it's the same positioning where
Ken/Ryu fireball through another fireball (and possibly get hit)

Layne

Seth James Killian

Apr 28, 1993, 8:03:36 PM4/28/93
l...@engr.LaTech.edu (Layne A. Robinson) writes:

>How close were you when you did it? Could it be the same spacing as when the
>Yoga Flame doesn't touch you? or maybe it's the same positioning where
>Ken/Ryu fireball through another fireball (and possibly get hit)

I was on the other side of the screen. Dhalsim had completely
recovered from the "FB stun". I was nowhere near as close as you are
under the yoga flame situation, and also too far for the Ken/Ryu FB
through each other trick (yes, I have seen it). The FB crossed a
good part of the screen, before I stood to try and DP through it
where I wiffed and the game jiggled and my FB was on its merry way
toward Dhalsim and his sailed off the screen behind me. I have seen
all the aforementioned FB irregularities, and can explain them, which
is why I brought it up to begin with. It was totally unlike anything
I have ever seen. I am now writing it off as bug, but may continue
to experiment against the comp...

Seth Killian

>Layne

Eu-Ming Lee

Apr 29, 1993, 8:20:43 PM4/29/93
skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

[Boring old news about Ryu being 'invulnerable' to Dhalsim fireballs]

It's simple, see [Ross Perot voice]. You buffered the fireball as you got
up ('cause you messed up the DP, like you always do, Seth ;). So Ryu leans
forward to throw the fireball. The fireball was going to hit you late just
as you got up, but instead you leaned forward and threw a fireball. So it
looked like it went through you.

Other situations in which this so-called 'bug' appears:

Sometimes, you'll jump in on Ken/Ryu with your Ken/Ryu with a steel-butt
attack. Your opponents screws up the DP and throws a fireball instead.
However, instead of pounding them with your favorite combo, you whiff
because their fireball motion moved their character forward. And you wind
up throwing them instead.

In another situation, I was playing Ryu vs. Ryu we had both knocked ourselves
down with roundhouse sweeps at close range and tried to do a jab DP as we
got up--- at the exact same time. Due to some odd quirk, we BOTH screwed
up the DP and threw fireballs, both of which sailed harmlessly behind the
opponent. I, of course, go the throw after the fireball stun. :)

I noticed this pseudo-bug or 'feature' back in CE days. I tested to see
if I was invulnerable when starting the fireball motion, but nope you're
not. You just move your vulnerable parts forward a bit. No big shocker,
and nothing which should surprise anyone.

--
Eu-Ming Lee (aka CyberGeek) eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
Friends don't let friends use Windows.

JOSEPH BEAUREG HARTLEY

Apr 30, 1993, 11:16:09 AM4/30/93

I'm not quite sure that Ken,Ryu aren't invulnerable for a little second
after throwing the fireball. I used to pla Vega a lot and the main
problem with jumping over a fireball and hitting ken,Ryu was that I
kept jumping too EARLY. When this happened my leg would sail right
through Ken's body and he would clobber me. I soon learned to wait
a second before jumping over a fireball (Vega's so fast..gotta love him)
so that my leg would hit Ken. I can't come up with ny other explanation
except for a period of invulnerability.

holme...@iscsvax.uni.edu

May 2, 1993, 8:17:26 PM5/2/93
Twice I've fireballed to cancel out an incoming fireball from Dhalsim and my
fire ball went through his while his fireball pass right over me while I was
still in the fireball stance.
-Brando