Dhalsim

di...@waikato.ac.nz

Jun 22, 1993, 12:23:28 AM6/22/93

Gee and I thought there were onlt two people in the world who actually played
Dhalsim. Guess I'm proved wrong.
Origionally I started playing him on the origional SFII - mailny
because no one else did. The other reason was that I wanten a way to beat
Ryu/Ken and Dhalsim seemed the best way to achieve it. Then the rage became
Guile and guess what I still beat them. Dhalsim was tops on SFII.
However when Champion Edition came out most of the other characters had
been improved to the state that Dhalsim was no longer invincible. I thought it
sucked but I guess in reality it created a fairer game.
With the advent of HF Dhalsim is still a bit of a no go. His teleport
move is all but useless and his normal moves still do pitiful damage AND he
almost always gets thrown after one of his spinning attacks.
BUT occasionally I still play him and find that I waste the majority of
players simply by the fact that not very many people actually know how to fight
against him. He is constantly underestimated and this proves a great advantage.
His chealp shot little slide throw still catches people almost every time.
He still has the problem of getting pounded by Blanka most of the time
and often with Chun as well. He proves very good against Guile and as a welcome
surprise to Ken/Ryu.

Balrog Dines.

Revenge of the characters that no body ever plays!

Malapitan, Rodney

Jun 22, 1993, 5:19:00 PM6/22/93
In article <1993Jun22.1...@waikato.ac.nz>, di...@waikato.ac.nz writes...

>Gee and I thought there were onlt two people in the world who actually played
>Dhalsim. Guess I'm proved wrong.
> Origionally I started playing him on the origional SFII - mailny
>because no one else did. The other reason was that I wanten a way to beat
>Ryu/Ken and Dhalsim seemed the best way to achieve it. Then the rage became
>Guile and guess what I still beat them. Dhalsim was tops on SFII.
> However when Champion Edition came out most of the other characters had
>been improved to the state that Dhalsim was no longer invincible. I thought it
>sucked but I guess in reality it created a fairer game.

Huh? Hey, I know some Dhalsims who got REALLY mean with the changes in CE!
They had a style that made Dhalsim look FAST! Lotsa drills, foreward & short
slides, a few limbs flying out to make sure I stayed in place. CE Dhalsim
only needed three hits to stun (2 drills & anything above short/jab, or
2 hits above short/jab & a drill) and the dhalsims here were the ones to
chalange characters like Guile and Ken, and SERIOUSLY trounced Sagat!! I don't
heavily play Dhalsim, but I beat this Sagat that won tournaments with him
with either close results or winning with half-a-bar.

> With the advent of HF Dhalsim is still a bit of a no go. His teleport
>move is all but useless and his normal moves still do pitiful damage AND he
>almost always gets thrown after one of his spinning attacks.

True.....

> BUT occasionally I still play him and find that I waste the majority of
>players simply by the fact that not very many people actually know how to fight
>against him. He is constantly underestimated and this proves a great advantage.
>His chealp shot little slide throw still catches people almost every time.
> He still has the problem of getting pounded by Blanka most of the time
>and often with Chun as well. He proves very good against Guile and as a welcome
>surprise to Ken/Ryu.
>

> Balrog Dines.
>

>Revenge of the characters that no body ever plays!

Three cheers for those "reject" characters!!!
We know what they can do.....

- RPM

Nathan W Cromer

Jun 22, 1993, 10:25:05 PM6/22/93
Concerning Dhalsim:

When playing Dhalsim I suffer from a serious lack of air defense.
How effective is his strong "funky" punch? It appears as if it could
be used like Zangief's standing jab, as a medium to fair air defense
if ya have really good timing. Does it beat, say, Ryu/Ken's Flying
roundhouse? Chun's short or forward (aerial)?

Dhalsim "combos" I have heard it argued that

Crouching forward, crouching strong, fireball is a combo ...
If it is .. and IF the previously posted corkscrew into medium slide is a
true combo, then a four-hitter Dhalsim combo would follow:

Corkscrew (flying roundhouse), crouching forward, crouching strong,
yoga fire.

Would be interesting, but I had thought Dhalsim had no combos.

Does the yoga fire actually interrupt the crouching strong? Any feedback
would be appreciated.

-- Wil

qe...@matai.vuw.ac.nz

Jun 25, 1993, 11:48:42 PM6/25/93
In article <nwc2.74...@Ra.MsState.Edu>, nw...@Ra.MsState.Edu (Nathan W Cromer) writes:
> Concerning Dhalsim:
>
> When playing Dhalsim I suffer from a serious lack of air defense.
> How effective is his strong "funky" punch? It appears as if it could
> be used like Zangief's standing jab, as a medium to fair air defense
> if ya have really good timing. Does it beat, say, Ryu/Ken's Flying
> roundhouse? Chun's short or forward (aerial)?

Dhalsims best air defence is the standing jab. It stops any attacks when they
are right above you, and give you about a 80% chance of avoiding the HOD.
The only characters not to use it on are Blanka and a head-hopping Chun Li.
( I assume Vega might also be difficult, but no-one plays him anyway )
The classic Dhalsim had a perfect short-kick, but that has been reduced, as
has his strong punch ( weird uppercut ). His jab also works avery now and
again when they are jumping from further away, and the beauty of it is, it
is so fast that you can Yoga Flame straight after ( only counterable by
Kens Fierce DP ).

When opponents are jumping from further away, a Roundhouse Slide works
wonders. Certain moves ( most of Guiles for example ) get a higher priority
but it stops Leaping Ryus' and Kens'.

> Dhalsim "combos" I have heard it argued that
>
> Crouching forward, crouching strong, fireball is a combo ...
> If it is .. and IF the previously posted corkscrew into medium slide is a
> true combo, then a four-hitter Dhalsim combo would follow:
>
> Corkscrew (flying roundhouse), crouching forward, crouching strong,
> yoga fire.
>
> Would be interesting, but I had thought Dhalsim had no combos.

Same here. Throwing or Head-punching a stunned opponent is still the best
IMO. You can keep them busy ( and blocking ) with all of his reasonably
fast attacks ( Crouching Strong, Standing Forward, jabs etc ) but they can
always block them or leg-sweep you.

> Does the yoga fire actually interrupt the crouching strong? Any feedback
> would be appreciated.

Yoga fire and Yoga flame can interrupt most of Dhalsims attacks, but never
fast enough to be a Combo. Many times I've tried to do a power-fireball
(Crouching punch or kick then Yoga Fire ) on a stunned opponent, but, if
they are blocking, then the fireball will never connect.

> -- Wil

Yoga-Teleport ain't such a bad thing. Just use the 'teleport behind' a few
times, and then do a stationary one. Wow!! look at them press the fierce
punch button and punch the air :-) time for a Fierce two-fisted punch.
Just never teleport against Guiles ( Razor bait ) or Zangiefs ( you need
all the distance you can get ).

Never Fear.. Dhalsim is still a worthy opponent. If you keep them away they
can do nothing.
Simon Westenra. ( How can I outlaw Blanka player

James Macek

Jun 26, 1993, 2:56:45 AM6/26/93
qe...@matai.vuw.ac.nz writes:

>The only characters not to use it on are Blanka and a head-hopping Chun Li.
>( I assume Vega might also be difficult, but no-one plays him anyway )

Look, Vega is just too much for Dhalsim if played right. Nothing
Dhalsim has is effective against Vega's Spread Eagle dive, especially
when the dive is not too steep or straight down on the opponent.

>Never Fear.. Dhalsim is still a worthy opponent. If you keep them away they
>can do nothing.

Good against all but Vega and Ryu, IMHO. Ry's damn HK has to much
range against firballs, and air defense is rough against both
attacking Ryu's and Vega's.

-Luddite

--

Jim, gt7...@prism.gatech.edu or
jmm...@netcom.com (matters not)

Brian Odom

Jul 1, 1993, 8:07:21 PM7/1/93
In <jmmacekC...@netcom.com> jmm...@netcom.com (James Macek) writes:

>qe...@matai.vuw.ac.nz writes:

>>The only characters not to use it on are Blanka and a head-hopping Chun Li.
>>( I assume Vega might also be difficult, but no-one plays him anyway )

>Look, Vega is just too much for Dhalsim if played right. Nothing
>Dhalsim has is effective against Vega's Spread Eagle dive, especially
>when the dive is not too steep or straight down on the opponent.

No, Vega sucks! A good Dhalsim will whip Vega any day. That spread eagle can
be countered. You just have to know what to do. I think we all agree that
Vega's roll is pretty useless. To stop the screaming eagle is easy. If Vega
does it from far away, and jumps off the wall behind HIM, all you do is jump
back and roundhouse in the air, or jumping back and do an aerial head dive.
If Vega does it from far away and jumps off the wall behind YOU, then you just
jump back and roundhouse like before. Many times your limbs will go through
him. It is usually best to just jump back. You will collide with Vega in the
air preventing him from touching the wall behind you. Then just throw when you
land. Now, if Vega is close to you and does the screaming eagle, you CAN
counter it. Slides won't work too good and neither will dives, but ah the JAB!
Yes, just time the jab so that it will hit Vega. This will be a CLEAN hit and
won't result in a trade if you time it right. After awhile, timing it is easy.
The jab protects your head so if Vega wants to jump around, then protect
yourself and whack him.

>>Never Fear.. Dhalsim is still a worthy opponent. If you keep them away they
>>can do nothing.

I can handle most Blanka players with Dhalsim. It's the damn HONDA players
who f*ck me up. All Honda has to do is stay back. If Dhalsim FB's, all Honda
has to do is jump forward and do a regular body splash. This will hit any of
Dhalsim's limbs since it is a high-priority move (meaning range of attack is
great). You can't slide when Honda splashes; it will hit you. If you jump,
Honda can do a head butt at the last instant so if you decide to try a foot
drill, it will trade and Honda will win the exchange (of course).

>Good against all but Vega and Ryu, IMHO. Ry's damn HK has to much
>range against firballs, and air defense is rough against both
>attacking Ryu's and Vega's.

Ryu, if played right, can be a pain. Ken, IMHO, is the best matchup for
Dhalsim. Dhalsim can beat Ken rather easily. The aerial HK can be murderous.
If Ryu jumps, sometimes I like to slide and trip him. The aerial HK mixes
things up a bit and I have to think twice before doing this. Also, when Ryu
and Ken do a aerial HK from close distance it can be murderous. As they float
over my head, I try to turn around and throw them before they land. Many times
going for the throw will result in Dhalsim doing a head butt facing the wrong
way. (Dhalsim doesn't turn around fast enough). Then you get thrown (if
you're lucky) or combo'd.

Vega isn't a problem for Dhalsim.

Colette Marine

Jul 1, 1993, 9:41:13 PM7/1/93
***** Posting from a friend's account *****

In article <C9IGC...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> bo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Brian Odom) writes:

[stuff deleted]

How do beat Blanka with Dhalsim? He kills me 99% of the time.

Jared D. Brame

John Nishinaga

Jul 2, 1993, 2:21:22 AM7/2/93

bo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Brian Odom) writes:

> I can handle most Blanka players with Dhalsim. It's the damn HONDA players
> who f*ck me up. All Honda has to do is stay back. If Dhalsim FB's, all
> Honda has to do is jump forward and do a regular body splash. This will
> hit any of Dhalsim's limbs since it is a high-priority move (meaning range
> of attack is great).

Ever try Jump/Back Flip + Fierce/Foward? Go ahead, it works.
--
John Nishinaga
jnis...@netcom.com

Seth James Killian

Jul 2, 1993, 2:43:39 AM7/2/93
bo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Brian Odom) writes:

>Yes, just time the jab so that it will hit Vega. This will be a CLEAN hit and
>won't result in a trade if you time it right. After awhile, timing it is easy.
>The jab protects your head so if Vega wants to jump around, then protect
>yourself and whack him.

Both the standing jab and headbutt are somewhat effective
from close range, depending on the precise proximity. If timed
correctly, they will always stop the flying claw. But not the
aerial slam. The aerial slam is a throw in any sense of the word,
albeit a slightly strange one. I must assume that it is for this
reason that so many erroneous counters abound. Many say that Ryu's
crouching uppercut is surefire, and indeed it works well enough vs
most Vega's it is "surefire". Ahh, but we here in netland deal
only in SF2 absolutes, where a "master Vega" will not tolerate such
a shoddy counter. The same is true for Dhalsim's standing jab.
Would you say a crouching jab is a surefire counter to Vega's
ground throw? Probably not. Because it is well known that normal
(re: non-special) moves, can be thrown. This means that Ryu can
be thrown right from the middle of his crouching roundhouse sweep.
It also means that the crouching fierce can be "thrown out of"
although most Vega's lack the timing to really punish such laziness.
It is somewhat difficult for Vega to time it, but a "master" Vega,
can, by definition, do it. Normal moves cannot stop a throw.

[Ryu/Ken vs. Dhalsim troubles deleted]

Any Dhalsim from Classic worth his salt should be having
*NO* trouble with Ken or Ryu. Dhalsim has a counter for literally
every single bit of offense Ryu or Ken can muster. None of their
post classic improvements really help at all vs Dhalsim. FB wars
with Dhalsim are obviously silly, and Dhalsim just doesn't ever
have to jump in and let 'em use that wonderful DP. Aerial HKing?
I think you really must admit it is your own error, and not some
uncounterable technique that make this even remotely effective.
Ken and Ryu are left the unsavory option of guessing with Dp's to
the limbs, or hoping Dhal screws up when they jump in. If we
decide to live in our "perfect" SF2 world, this just aint gonna
happen.

Seth Killian

James Macek

Jul 2, 1993, 3:03:58 AM7/2/93
bo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Brian Odom) writes:

>No, Vega sucks! A good Dhalsim will whip Vega any day. That spread eagle can
>be countered. You just have to know what to do. I think we all agree that
>Vega's roll is pretty useless. To stop the screaming eagle is easy. If Vega
>does it from far away, and jumps off the wall behind HIM, all you do is jump
>back and roundhouse in the air, or jumping back and do an aerial head dive.
>If Vega does it from far away and jumps off the wall behind YOU, then you just
>jump back and roundhouse like before. Many times your limbs will go through
>him. It is usually best to just jump back. You will collide with Vega in the
>air preventing him from touching the wall behind you. Then just throw when you
>land. Now, if Vega is close to you and does the screaming eagle, you CAN
>counter it. Slides won't work too good and neither will dives, but ah the JAB!
>Yes, just time the jab so that it will hit Vega. This will be a CLEAN hit and
>won't result in a trade if you time it right. After awhile, timing it is easy.
>The jab protects your head so if Vega wants to jump around, then protect
>yourself and whack him.

Look, you have good knowledge of Dhalsim. However, you have to play a
Vega that will take these risks and who uses the roll. It IS quite
effective. Especially if Dhalsim jumps up and lingers slowly down.
You can maybe punch down cleanly, but will probably get hacked. As for
the jab, it does work...if Vega comes straight down. However, steep
angle attacks are more of a problem. Vega elevates higher than Dhalsim's
flying roundhouse---if spaced correctly. Otherwise you're right. But
spacing is imperative. Also remember that Vega players (some) have learned
to control their air attacks...so they won't just inevitably fly where
Dhalsim can kick him. It depends on the players and their spacing. And
also remember that Vega's Screaming Eagle thing can hit Dhalsim's vulnerable
limbs...whether or not he hits Vega. Vega will usually win on damage done.
And throwing Vega ain't all that easy....remember the roll or his own throw.

>Vega isn't a problem for Dhalsim.

Too general. You haven't played against Vega or you've yet to play a
decent one. Vega is more than a problem for the best Dhalsim's.

-Luddite
--

Jim, jmm...@netcom.com g
gt7...@prism.gatech.edu

Tee-roy

Jul 2, 1993, 12:28:20 PM7/2/93
In article <C9Iyo...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

>bo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Brian Odom) writes:
>

> Any Dhalsim from Classic worth his salt should be having
> *NO* trouble with Ken or Ryu. Dhalsim has a counter for literally
> every single bit of offense Ryu or Ken can muster. None of their
> post classic improvements really help at all vs Dhalsim. FB wars
> with Dhalsim are obviously silly, and Dhalsim just doesn't ever
> have to jump in and let 'em use that wonderful DP. Aerial HKing?
> I think you really must admit it is your own error, and not some
> uncounterable technique that make this even remotely effective.
> Ken and Ryu are left the unsavory option of guessing with Dp's to
> the limbs, or hoping Dhal screws up when they jump in. If we
> decide to live in our "perfect" SF2 world, this just aint gonna
> happen.
>
> Seth Killian

Does anybody know if Dhalsim in the SNES:SF2 version is as
seemingly invincible to Ken? I play Ken and end up
resorting to the "DP the limbs" tactics Seth mentioned.
Any Ken tips vs Dhalsim for SNES:SF2 would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

Mr Ree

Brian Odom

Jul 3, 1993, 5:14:02 AM7/3/93

Yeah, I try this. Many times Honda can STILL hit this, but the potential
problem is jockeying for position. You can't FB, jump back kick forever. You
will get cornered this way. A lot of times when I throw a FB, Honda players
will do an occassional short crouch kick and for some strange reason, it fakes
me out and I will jump back thinking they jumped or something. I have to go
work on that, but it's all comes down to the damage differential. Honda does
big damage plus he has a high priority move. (Ever do a fierce punch and
Honda just sits back and does that crouching strong kick?). It's very
difficult to hit Honda without a trade. Hitting Honda cleanly is the problem.
Plus good Honda's won't jump at you from so far away. They will jump once
they're close and splat. Seems as though Dhalsim has lost a LOT of priority
with his attacks against Honda. I used to do really good on CE, but I don't
know what the deal is in HF.