Help me with Guile vs. Zangief

cho soobum

Apr 23, 1993, 12:41:01 PM4/23/93
I finally played a Zangief today that wasn't a complete scrub. I was playing
Guile. Overall we split our matches about 50%/50% , but I was a little
upset because I haven't been losing very often lately. I took the first
few matches by ticking a lot, but he started getting that SPD on me after
a while. When I started to play keep away with SBs and forward sweeps, I
started getting jittery because I was scared of that SPD (super range), so
I started doing stupid things like jumping in and getting my ass kicked.
Boy, did Guile's wimpiness show itself off today! He takes damage like a
senior citizen :) Is there some simple strategy for Guile vs. Zangief?

-Soobum
sc...@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

Seth James Killian

Apr 23, 1993, 3:04:52 PM4/23/93
sc...@news.weeg.uiowa.edu (cho soobum) writes:

>senior citizen :) Is there some simple strategy for Guile vs. Zangief?

Guile, of course, is supposedly one of the tougher match-ups
for Z, but as of late, I am beginning to see evidence to the contrary.
Some simple tips for Guile: Play it safe. Definitely use that forward
kick, just not more than once at a time. If you get stupid with it, Z
can trip you up in a trade with his roundhouse and go in for the SPD.
Throw as many sonic booms as possible. The extremely small delay (vs.
Zangief anyway) makes this a very safe play. Unless you are already
too close, Z will be unable to hit you with any of his lariat moves.
When Z jumps in, learn the proper distance and use a standing roundhouse kick. Very effective, and it is hard for Z to even trade with it.
If you allow the spacing to become skewed, Z will win the trade, but
try it out, its very frustrating for a Zangief player. There is little
need to jump in on Z, as you should not be able to tick a quality
Zangief player, and you can only do a blocked SB otherwise. This is
very dangerous because a good Z will have learned the technique of
"buffering" an SPD in between the first blocked aerial move, and the
following ground move of the combo. This means that if you hit even
a little bit high, Z can block your first move _and_ SPD you. This
is not even counting the more daring Z's that are always going for
the sac-throw (SPD:). My personal favorite opener with Z vs. Guile
is the "kick" or superfast lariat, right from the start, and move in.
Guile seems to instinctively throw a boom or forward sweep, which of
course have no effect. You can then SPD for a nice opening lead,
and put the ball in Guile's court to get in on YOU. You may have seen
the computer do this. I thought it was the neatest Z thing I had seen
in a long time. So once you master the timing, it really can be
effective vs. Guile. Looks sweet too...

Seth Killian

>-Soobum
>sc...@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

Lord Baal

Apr 23, 1993, 3:44:22 PM4/23/93
sc...@news.weeg.uiowa.edu (cho soobum) writes:

Hmm.... this seems to be a problem... Zangief can be tough
against Guile sometimes..but there is a sure way to beat
him...Now this isnt my idea so dont give me all the credit..but
you can knee him and then tick him..someone even did it about
15 times and did not get counter once !!

Lord Baal......

Justin C. Hogue

Apr 25, 1993, 12:39:27 AM4/25/93
[...]
Your friend was playing the computer or and idiot.
--Jowfus

Soobum Cho

Apr 26, 1993, 8:47:12 PM4/26/93

>sc...@news.weeg.uiowa.edu (cho soobum) writes:

Do you really have to keep this going? Yes, its true. I stayed on the machine
that day for a while and I did not get thrown out of the pathetic Knee-tick
at all because THEY DIDN'T KNOW THAT THEY COULD. That's it, plain and simple.
Everybody is so quick to call these guys "morons" or "idiots", but ignorance
is not stupidity. If you still have a grudge against me, why don't you think
up something new?

-Soobum

> Lord Baal......

Lord Baal

Apr 27, 1993, 12:56:17 AM4/27/93
sc...@icaen.uiowa.edu (Soobum Cho) writes:

>> Hmm.... this seems to be a problem... Zangief can be tough
>> against Guile sometimes..but there is a sure way to beat
>> him...Now this isnt my idea so dont give me all the credit..but
>> you can knee him and then tick him..someone even did it about
>> 15 times and did not get counter once !!

>Do you really have to keep this going? Yes, its true. I stayed on the machine
>that day for a while and I did not get thrown out of the pathetic Knee-tick
>at all because THEY DIDN'T KNOW THAT THEY COULD. That's it, plain and simple.
>Everybody is so quick to call these guys "morons" or "idiots", but ignorance
>is not stupidity. If you still have a grudge against me, why don't you think
>up something new?
>
>-Soobum

Hmm..... you seem to have the wrong idea... i do not have a grudge
against you...why do you insist on heigtening the tensions... i
write these messages in good humor....so relax dude...i was
just kidding, but i have to admit you were being a moron for suggesting
that the knee tick was actually a real move :-) hahahahahah

Lord Baal.....

Thomas Calvin Cannon

Apr 27, 1993, 4:25:52 AM4/27/93

I know what you mean. I can't tell you how moronic I felt after it was
shown that Zan's crouched short + SPD wasn't a combo. But wait, the whole
group thought it was a combo, so I guess we were just ALL morons in that case,
eh? Look. Soobum tried something that worked against his local competition,
so he posted it. That doesn't make him a moron. He's beeen corrected, so
can we _please_ move on to a more productive topic? And on that note...

NEAT SAGAT TIP
--------------
If you're sick of playing a pattern/defensive Sagat, try getting right in
your opponent's face and using your Tai kicks (2 hit standing forward and
2 (or 1) hit standing short). Either kick will knock Ryu/Ken out of a
fireball, or even a jump. Mix up your timing to avoid getting your leg
DP'ed. If Ryu/Ken does go for a DP, you can smack 'em with your favorite
mini-combo (I like crouched short + jab DP) when they come down.

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Seth James Killian

Apr 27, 1993, 2:20:09 PM4/27/93
ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Thomas Calvin Cannon) writes:

>I know what you mean. I can't tell you how moronic I felt after it was
>shown that Zan's crouched short + SPD wasn't a combo. But wait, the whole
>group thought it was a combo, so I guess we were just ALL morons in that case,
>eh? Look. Soobum tried something that worked against his local competition,

Hey! _I_ didn't think it was a combo! I got flamed to death
for saying so. What gives? Has there been a change in the consensus?

Seth Killian

Darian Woodford

Apr 27, 1993, 7:16:23 PM4/27/93
jb...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Lord Baal ) writes:

> Lord Baal.....

I hate to tell you this "Lord Baal", but the knee does actually have
some pratical implictions. Just becuase you can't use them (or don't
know what they are) doesn't negate their existence. The knee can be
used (suprisingly) to knock certain characters roundhouse moves out
of the air. Of course this is if it is timed right. One example
(don't laugh) is guile. The knee can be used to knock his roundhouse
,the jumping one of course, out of the air. The fact that guile sucks
is beside the point (I know, I play him, and please don't infer his
ability as a character upon my ability to play him.) It also works
against a few other characters. I think the knee hop over sagats
fireball has been beaten to death. Overall, it is a move with some
uses, but I don't I would call it a tick.

[ Comments about who was really acting like a moron deleted ]

| Darian Woodford | email: dwoo...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu |
| University of Illinois, Champaign Urbana |
- My views are not those of the university, so don't get any funny
ideas!

JOSEPH BEAUREG HARTLEY

Apr 27, 1993, 9:21:43 PM4/27/93
I never in my wildest dreams thought short + SPD was a COMBO.

It is simply an incredibally good cheap.

jbha...@eos.ncsu.edu

P.G.

Apr 28, 1993, 12:13:27 PM4/28/93
In article <1993Apr28.0...@ncsu.edu>, jbha...@eos.ncsu.edu (JOSEPH BEAUREG HARTLEY) writes:
>In article <C65Mx...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:
>>ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Thomas Calvin Cannon) writes:
>>

> [stuff about Z's short-SPD deleted]

> I never in my wildest dreams thought short + SPD was a COMBO.
>
> It is simply an incredibally good cheap.
>
> jbha...@eos.ncsu.edu

I'm trying to learn Z, and I was wondering if crouching Roundhouse-SPD was just
as good for a cheap. I mean, you'd only do the SPD if they blocked the
Roundhouse, and then you could snag them. How does this work? It's been done
to me, but with Ryu or Ken, I can get out of it no problem. How about on other
characters?

Patrick Gray | Ken: "Attack me if you dare.
PEG...@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU | My ego will crush you!"
Rochester Institute of Technology | Ryu: "What a dork..."

JOSEPH BEAUREG HARTLEY

Apr 29, 1993, 11:02:34 AM4/29/93
In article <1993Apr28.1...@ultb.isc.rit.edu> peg...@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>In article <1993Apr28.0...@ncsu.edu>, jbha...@eos.ncsu.edu (JOSEPH BEAUREG HARTLEY) writes:
>>In article <C65Mx...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:
>>>ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Thomas Calvin Cannon) writes:
>>>

>> [stuff about Z's short-SPD deleted]
>>
>> I never in my wildest dreams thought short + SPD was a COMBO.
>>
>> It is simply an incredibally good cheap.
>>
>> jbha...@eos.ncsu.edu
>
>I'm trying to learn Z, and I was wondering if crouching Roundhouse-SPD was just
>as good for a cheap. I mean, you'd only do the SPD if they blocked the
>Roundhouse, and then you could snag them. How does this work? It's been done
>to me, but with Ryu or Ken, I can get out of it no problem. How about on other
>characters?

The tick (I've been mailed about my use of the work cheap, it seems to
imply how I feel toward the move) is simple. To do the
Roundhouse one, get next to someone getting up and throw the trip
before they get up. Now unless they are Ryu,Ken they will have a
hard time getting through the roundhouse. If they block it then just
360 them, if they don't block then they are tripped again. Repeat.

Patrick Gray

Apr 30, 1993, 10:21:36 AM4/30/93
[stuff deleted]

>>I'm trying to learn Z, and I was wondering if crouching Roundhouse-SPD was just
>>as good for a cheap. I mean, you'd only do the SPD if they blocked the
>>Roundhouse, and then you could snag them. How does this work? It's been done
>>to me, but with Ryu or Ken, I can get out of it no problem. How about on other
>>characters?
>>

> The tick (I've been mailed about my use of the work cheap, it seems to
> imply how I feel toward the move) is simple. To do the
> Roundhouse one, get next to someone getting up and throw the trip
> before they get up. Now unless they are Ryu,Ken they will have a
> hard time getting through the roundhouse. If they block it then just
> 360 them, if they don't block then they are tripped again. Repeat.

Yeah, I know how to do it and can do it in matches, but my question was about
the use of it against other characters. If I tried it on E. Honda, he could
just do that flying sumo drop and get me for two hits. If I tried it against
another Z, he could simply do a super lariat, and then SPD me. Come to think
of it, this attack blows on HF...it worked better on CE.

Justin C. Hogue

Apr 30, 1993, 2:21:41 PM4/30/93

>> I never in my wildest dreams thought short + SPD was a COMBO.
>> It is simply an incredibally good cheap.
>
>I'm trying to learn Z, and I was wondering if crouching Roundhouse-SPD was just
>as good for a cheap. I mean, you'd only do the SPD if they blocked the
>Roundhouse, and then you could snag them. How does this work? It's been done
>to me, but with Ryu or Ken, I can get out of it no problem. How about on other
>characters?
Lemme straighten this up....
Forward, Jab, or short THAT CONNECTS can be followed by and SPD that none
of my enemies (mostly pros, I boast) have yet to counter, even if they
saw it coming. If they block it, they can get out of it. My theory is
that the programmers made Jab/throw much harder in CE and HF by making it
such that a person must recover and be able to attack to be thrown, therefor
Ryu/Ken and others can counter right when they recover from the block, but not
if they don't recover from the previous hit in time to counter. The block is
the reason the roundhouse cheap failed to be a combo when you blocked it.
--Jowfus