Vega vs. Blanka

Matthew Brumley

Feb 20, 1993, 9:34:38 PM2/20/93

I've been playing Vega off and on for a coupla months now, and the most
difficult challenge I find is against Blanka.

The ONLY consistent counter I have to Blanka's Ball is Jumping Roundhouse.
Now, don't get me wrong... This is an excellent counter, and fairly easy to
execute, but when Blanka is in close range (i.e. a Vertical Ball will hit me
when it comes down), I'm in trouble (I can only hope he does a normal Ball so
that he'll get hell away from me... >:).

Generally speaking, a Vega vs. Blanka round starts with Blanka either going
into defense-mode or a Ball. How can I attack if the Ball counters every
conceivable attack (tho' jumping roundhouse trades with him occaisionally,
but in his favor)??

So, what's the deal? (Swan-diving isn't really useful... though I've knocked
him outta the ball with it on occaision)

Can I time the backflip to go thru a ball and still be able to slam?
Do one of his claw attacks successfully counter the ball?

Ryules (Vega? We'll see...)

Lord Vader

Feb 20, 1993, 10:20:02 PM2/20/93
m...@srl02.cacs.usl.edu (Matthew Brumley) writes:

Blanka is the *most* difficult battle for Vega. He out _priorities_ him
in nearly every aspect. A useful counter to the Ball Attack is definately
the Back Flip. Be careful of HF that you do it correctly every time.
I'm not sure, but I think that throwing Blanka after a back-flip-through-ball
is as easy as it was in CE. The few times that I actually thought to do it
resulted in a crouching fierce from Blanka. It may be smarter to go into
a jab flurry, but I may be wrong...

Vega, being a faster character, can use the swan dive with a degree of success
against Blanka, but the key is to surprise him! Try nabbing him on the way
down after he jumps. Useful if he is cornering you, and he steps too far
back, do a short wall jump, and rake his face, or flip him over.

Do not telegraph or try the wall attack from across the screen... It will
never work. The rolling claw seems pretty useless vs. Blanka, if not overall.

--
Caine Schneider (Lord Vader) ca...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
"Possessed with hellish torment, I master magics `5'. Hunting the abyss lord,

Sima Yi

Feb 21, 1993, 11:23:42 PM2/21/93
In article <MJB.93Fe...@srl02.cacs.usl.edu> m...@srl02.cacs.usl.edu
(Matthew Brumley) writes:
>I've been playing Vega off and on for a coupla months now, and the most
>difficult challenge I find is against Blanka.

This is most definitely true in the CE version. However, I'm not so sure
about Blanka's dominance over Vega in HF as it was in CE.

>The ONLY consistent counter I have to Blanka's Ball is Jumping Roundhouse.
>Now, don't get me wrong... This is an excellent counter, and fairly easy to
>execute, but when Blanka is in close range (i.e. a Vertical Ball will hit me
>when it comes down), I'm in trouble (I can only hope he does a normal Ball so
>that he'll get hell away from me... >:).

In my *few* matches with Vega players, the fierce Vertical Roll/Ball is a very
efficient weapon against flying Vega's. While generally I find his Vertical
Roll/Ball to be very useful against most characters (so far), Blanka's
horizontal Roll/Ball isn't as good a tactic vs. Vega in HF like it was in CE.

In CE, Vega had no good ground counter against Roll/Ball happy Blankas. If
there are, I don't know of it and neither did my opponents :).

>Generally speaking, a Vega vs. Blanka round starts with Blanka either going
>into defense-mode or a Ball. How can I attack if the Ball counters every
>conceivable attack (tho' jumping roundhouse trades with him occaisionally,
>but in his favor)??

But, in HF, the above isn't true. My general strategy vs. Vega in CE was to
open up with the Roll/Ball and continue that "pattern" since I could execute
it pretty continuously. But in HF, Vega can block the Roll/Ball and then
crouch fierce a la Dhalsim which *will* hit Blanka as he's going back.

>So, what's the deal? (Swan-diving isn't really useful... though I've knocked
>him outta the ball with it on occaision)

I don't think that'll work too well but who knows. Mix it up and it'll
work well probably.

>Can I time the backflip to go thru a ball and still be able to slam?
>Do one of his claw attacks successfully counter the ball?

In CE, if you back flip and Blanka opens with a fierce roll, Vega will be
able to slam Blanka. I also think that fierce clawing (ie time it) the
Ball/Roll may also work but it's not as "safe" as the above example.

--
//Lui Sieh |How seldom we weigh our neighbor in the same
Mail: si...@panix.com |balance with ourselves. -- Thomas A. Kempis

Alain Hoang

Feb 22, 1993, 10:32:01 AM2/22/93

Agh, Vega vs Blanka. All Vega players wretch when they know that a good
Blanka player is against them. As said before, Blanka does practically OUT-
priority alot versus Vega in CE and possibly HF. As for hitting the ball with
a crouching fierce (actually a standing fierce should do the same thing.... both
crouching and standing fierce are the same move) after the bounce in HF... never
knew that. Heh.. have to try it some day. As for the Vertical ball... agh
that thing wreaks havoc... I DO know that you can grab Blanka out of the 45
degree ball but your talking about a move of a lifetime. I grabbed Blanka out
of the Vertical ball ONCE... and that was when Blanka was at the height of his
ball. And it was a computer thing... so I knew it was going to happen... but
as for players... I suggest you cross your fingers and hope the SF2 computer has
amnesty on you that day. Hmmm as for BF (Back flipping) out of the way of the
ball... I do that most of the time when the buttons work for me. But another
method I found weirdly effective is that.. in CE I rolled after blocking a Blanka
ball and tick off the same click that he took from me. In HF even better...
I FIERCE roll after it and take about 3 clicks to his 1 click (although I think
Blanka takes off a bigger click). But probably the fierce after the ball is more
effective. The key to Blanka is to surprise him... Blanka can counter almost
anything else you try. BTW the rolling maneuver if executed too early CAN
knock Blanka out of his ball but its a trade damage thing and as Vega does piddy
damage... its not even worth it.

Alain Hoang
hoa...@rpi.edu
"Yeah yeah, I'm the guy that wanted the Vega players Union :)"

Seth James Killian

Feb 22, 1993, 3:33:23 PM2/22/93
hoa...@nason103.its.rpi.edu (Alain Hoang) writes:

>method I found weirdly effective is that.. in CE I rolled after blocking a Blanka
>ball and tick off the same click that he took from me. In HF even better...
>I FIERCE roll after it and take about 3 clicks to his 1 click (although I think

Against a good Blanka, rolling back at him after he has just
balled will not work. Blanka can do a crouching forward and knock you
out of it, no problem. This still works in HF. Just so you know...

Seth Killian

Brian David Waak

Feb 22, 1993, 8:48:09 PM2/22/93
si...@panix.com (Sima Yi) writes:

>In article <MJB.93Fe...@srl02.cacs.usl.edu> m...@srl02.cacs.usl.edu
>(Matthew Brumley) writes:
>>I've been playing Vega off and on for a coupla months now, and the most
>>difficult challenge I find is against Blanka.

>This is most definitely true in the CE version. However, I'm not so sure
>about Blanka's dominance over Vega in HF as it was in CE.

ALMOST as bad, if not just as bad, IMO. Again, in HF as it was on CE, I
(as Vega) have the most trouble with Blanka. I'm sure some good Blanka
moves/combos exist, but I probably don't know them. Yet.

>>The ONLY consistent counter I have to Blanka's Ball is Jumping Roundhouse.
>>Now, don't get me wrong... This is an excellent counter, and fairly easy to
>>execute, but when Blanka is in close range (i.e. a Vertical Ball will hit me
>>when it comes down), I'm in trouble (I can only hope he does a normal Ball so
>>that he'll get hell away from me... >:).

>In my *few* matches with Vega players, the fierce Vertical Roll/Ball is a very
>efficient weapon against flying Vega's. While generally I find his Vertical
>Roll/Ball to be very useful against most characters (so far), Blanka's
>horizontal Roll/Ball isn't as good a tactic vs. Vega in HF like it was in CE.

>In CE, Vega had no good ground counter against Roll/Ball happy Blankas. If
>there are, I don't know of it and neither did my opponents :).

I would have to agree in CE, but on HF, try this if you have great timing
that day: when you know Blanka is about to roll (important: when you see it
happen it's most likely too late, so this is where second-guessing your
opponent comes in), do a flip (three punch buttons) and, with a fierce roll,
and maybe strong depending on where he started it, he'll go right through
you. either way, if the flip was timed right, you should be able to throw
him immediately. Unfortunately, this seems to work well only as a sur-
prise move... if he sees it coming, he can roundhouse, crouching fierce, or
even (ouch) SHOCK you coming out of the ball.

>>Generally speaking, a Vega vs. Blanka round starts with Blanka either going
>>into defense-mode or a Ball. How can I attack if the Ball counters every
>>conceivable attack (tho' jumping roundhouse trades with him occaisionally,
>>but in his favor)??

>But, in HF, the above isn't true. My general strategy vs. Vega in CE was to
>open up with the Roll/Ball and continue that "pattern" since I could execute
>it pretty continuously. But in HF, Vega can block the Roll/Ball and then
>crouch fierce a la Dhalsim which *will* hit Blanka as he's going back.

That's another good one. but, of course, Vega then leaves himself open for
a counter-fierce by Blanka.

>>So, what's the deal? (Swan-diving isn't really useful... though I've knocked
>>him outta the ball with it on occaision)

>I don't think that'll work too well but who knows. Mix it up and it'll
>work well probably.

On HF I actually have managed to claw or air-suplex Blanka out of the ball
(horizontal, natch). It takes godlike timing, even better than with the
electricity, but it is possible. I've also heard (though I doubt this, don't
really know WHY) that it can be done somehow to Blankas in the vertical
ball as well. I'd LOVE to see that happen if it is possible.

>>Can I time the backflip to go thru a ball and still be able to slam?
>>Do one of his claw attacks successfully counter the ball?

>In CE, if you back flip and Blanka opens with a fierce roll, Vega will be
>able to slam Blanka. I also think that fierce clawing (ie time it) the
>Ball/Roll may also work but it's not as "safe" as the above example.

Very true. As you pointed out, the best time to claw Blanka is AFTER the ball
hit your block.

-Brian Waak
bdw5...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Matthew Brumley

Feb 23, 1993, 1:18:56 PM2/23/93

Cool... Are you certain that, after blocking a ball, you can crouching Fierce
Blanka as he lands in his starting position? I'm just checking, 'cause I used
this in CE, when I could sneak it in, but it never seemed very consistent.
Sometimes I'd nail 'em, and sometimes they'd block (at least they could never
get a second Ball off before I made them block). Perhaps my timing was/is
off, but I'll work on it some more.

Also, is reflecting off the wall of any use (against anyone??)? I use it to
screw up their timing of the Ball, but it's not always successful...

Looks cool, tho' when another Vega player jumps on the fence, I can lure him to
the edge of the screen, bounce off the wall, and use the aerial throw to grab
him right as he leaps off the fence. An air slam from the top of the screen.
hehehe

Ryules

as...@acad2.alaska.edu

Feb 24, 1993, 2:24:00 PM2/24/93
In article <C2s3x...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, ca...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Lord Vader) writes:
> m...@srl02.cacs.usl.edu (Matthew Brumley) writes:
>
>>I've been playing Vega off and on for a coupla months now, and the most
>>difficult challenge I find is against Blanka.

When I started playing Vega on CE I had this same probloem, but now I
can give damage and a round to Blanka and advance. The key is to not be afraid
of him. I know that is a little vague, but Blanka's strongest weapon is is
ugliness. That combined with his animal attacks that differ from all other
characters can make you nervous until you find out how to feed him your claw.

> Blanka is the *most* difficult battle for Vega. He out _priorities_ him
> in nearly every aspect. A useful counter to the Ball Attack is definately
> the Back Flip. Be careful of HF that you do it correctly every time.

My favorite move is to block a forward or diagonal bal then return with
the claw. If it is a striaght ball, let Blanka "bounce" off of you. He will
land fairly far away and will be vulernable for a fraction of a second. Let a
strong or fierce crouching claw follow and meet him. Usually he just stands
there, but sometimes he will be charged to do another ball--if he does this he
will eat your claw. Diagonal balls are a little trickier, but you should
rarely get hurt from them. Again, let him complete the ball. If he is close
enough to bounce off of your head return with a standing jab. If he is farther
use a crouching jab, strong, or fierce (depending on the distance).

Let Blanka try to attack you--he will loose:

When he jumps at you to get close, adjust your distance to let him fall
into your claw. I almost never jump at blanka because he can always counter
with something. Somtimes I'll try to time my fling wall thing to begin just
after he has attempted a move ie a jump/kick if he is coming at you bounce off
of the wall behind you then you can get to him before he has recovered from his
attack. Also sometimes B will jump up and down. Walk towards him and poke him
with a fierce just as he lands. Also sometimes he'll just sit there with out
even blocking, poke him between the eyes. I hardly ever roll at B since he has
so many ways of hurting me.

This guide works against the Computer Blanka which folows a definite
patter, but you should get an idea of his weaknesses against Vega from trying
these methods.

> Do not telegraph or try the wall attack from across the screen... It will
> never work. The rolling claw seems pretty useless vs. Blanka, if not overall.

Sometimes the rolling claw is useful. See previous discussion re: Vega
players Unite. Something that I'm working on is: get in close enough to jab,
then while the opponent is recovering from that begin roll to hit at least
three times. so far that has only worked against Ryu at an early stage. Also
it is a good way to finish off a character that you have nocked down.
Scenario: you slam X, and X has limited energy; charge as soon as slam begins
then roll into the person as they are getting up; they block and take the
damage then fall down for good. Problems: 1)invurnability when getting up
2)Dragon Punches.

Oh well...

George Dowding in Alaska: the United State's only Third World Colony

Matthew Brumley

Feb 25, 1993, 6:42:48 PM2/25/93

Blanka's main weapons (in our games here) are
a. Jumping Forward - Hits my claw attacks and my jump kicks
Jumping Roundhouse - Hits sliding opponents
b. Crouching Forward - Knocks me outta the Roll-with-the-punches move
c. Fierce HBall - All of the above, including the off-the-wall attack

With (a) he can attack with impunity... (Though roundhouse slide can sometimes
knock him down if he uses Forward)
And with (b) and (c) he can play defensively w/ very little that I can do to
cause him harm.

What do I do??

Basically, I'm wondering if there are moves which might help counter these
attacks.

Ryules (he can DEFINITELY beat Vega >:)

Snapple Dixie Peach

Feb 26, 1993, 10:21:38 AM2/26/93
In article <1993Feb24...@acad2.alaska.edu> as...@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <C2s3x...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, ca...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>(Lord Vader) writes:
>> m...@srl02.cacs.usl.edu (Matthew Brumley) writes:
>>>I've been playing Vega off and on for a coupla months now, and the most
>>>difficult challenge I find is against Blanka.
>
> When I started playing Vega on CE I had this same probloem, but now I
>can give damage and a round to Blanka and advance. The key is to not be afraid
>of him. I know that is a little vague, but Blanka's strongest weapon is is
>ugliness. That combined with his animal attacks that differ from all other
>characters can make you nervous until you find out how to feed him your claw.

I agree. Players who play Vega get cold feet when they start to play Blanka
players. IMO, you've already lost the pyschological edge needed to win. This
happens also with the Ken/Ryu players. A lot of them concede the whole match
before the game has begun! Wimpy. In any event, I think that Vega is people's
secondary character and it's simply not possible to play Vega the same way
as the other characters. Vega is a more subtle player to grasp (hence, not
even close to a beginner's level character) and also a lot more patience which
is a high level skill. People I've found like to bust their opponent fast
and quick--a sure sign of SF 2 manliness (yeah, right).

>> Blanka is the *most* difficult battle for Vega. He out _priorities_ him
>> in nearly every aspect. A useful counter to the Ball Attack is definately
>> the Back Flip. Be careful of HF that you do it correctly every time.
>
> My favorite move is to block a forward or diagonal bal then return with
>the claw. If it is a striaght ball, let Blanka "bounce" off of you. He will
>land fairly far away and will be vulernable for a fraction of a second. Let a
>strong or fierce crouching claw follow and meet him.

Only works on HF. Doesn't work on CE--or not very well at least.

>Usually he just stands
>there, but sometimes he will be charged to do another ball--if he does this he
>will eat your claw.

After each of Blanka's Roll/Ball, he's vulnerable at that moment he's standing
after finishing his Roll/Ball. It's annoying as hell. You can be blocking
after Rolling/Balling but you're vulnerable.

>Diagonal balls are a little trickier, but you should
>rarely get hurt from them. Again, let him complete the ball.

I think that's the technique to defend against vertical Ball/Roll. Unlike
Honda Buttafuoco move which will hit twice forcing the opponent to block twice,
Blanka only hits once and is vulnerable to an attack afterwards (ie. footsweep)
hence I feel that the vertical Ball/Roll is most effective when you're very
close to him so that your Ball/Roll will end up behind the opponent.

> Let Blanka try to attack you--he will loose:

In general, the defensive player has the advantage over the offensive player.
I had the embarrassment of losing to a Dhalsim in HF with my Blanka. I didn't
solve his forward roundhouse technique to counter a forward jumping Blanka.
The strong didn't work as it usually does. I didn't bother trying anything
else but we'll see.