Looking for Style points???

Seth James Killian

May 9, 1993, 3:16:57 AM5/9/93

Our local Kenkombomeister has cooked up something which I
have never before seen posted, and looks cool as all hell. It is
a Ken (Ryu too, I would think) combo that only hits twice but will
get applause anyway... It's a standing roundhouse buffered into
a jab DP. The trick is that it's _not_ interrupting the twice
hitting "axe kick" that they do close up, but rather the standing
semi long range roundhouse where they stand and spin around, leg
in the air. By interrupting it with a jab DP, you can cut the
animation in *half* and score with the "deep" part of the DP.
People have posted lots of bogus stuff about the standing close
roundhouse, but to my knowledge no one ever experimented on the
long range one, and it turns out that its the only one that will
combo:) Very slick, and the first *new* combo I have read in
some time. Also, he showed me some Chun Li fun... If you are
familiar with Guile's standing razorkick combos, then try the
same with Chun Li and her standing fierce "palm push" buffered
into a Spinning Bird kick. In theory, it works, but in practice,
the palm push knocks you too far back to be able to combo it.
Oh well. Still looks very cool, and comes off so fast you can
actually catch people in it, even if it fails the strict combo
definition. Have fun over the summer folks...

Seth Killian

John Nishinaga

May 9, 1993, 4:59:14 AM5/9/93

skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

> Our local Kenkombomeister has cooked up something which I
> have never before seen posted, and looks cool as all hell. It is a
> Ken (Ryu too, I would think) combo that only hits twice but will
> get applause anyway... It's a standing roundhouse buffered into a
> jab DP. The trick is that it's _not_ interrupting the twice
> hitting "axe kick" that they do close up, but rather the standing
> semi long range roundhouse where they stand and spin around, leg in
> the air. By interrupting it with a jab DP, you can cut the
> animation in *half* and score with the "deep" part of the DP.

I'm pretty sure I told Ming this a long time ago when people were discussing
what constituted a "real" combo. I did this during old classic days, except
interupted to fireball (didn't think any DP would hit from that distance). I
doubt it works for Ryu on HF for the same reason.
--
John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

Naval Ravikant

May 9, 1993, 5:08:00 AM5/9/93
In article <C6r08...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>

skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

> Also, he showed me some Chun Li fun... If you are
> familiar with Guile's standing razorkick combos, then try the
> same with Chun Li and her standing fierce "palm push" buffered
> into a Spinning Bird kick. In theory, it works, but in practice,
> the palm push knocks you too far back to be able to combo it.

Hmmm. In that case, I wonder if Honda's standing strong or fierce can
be buffered into a Buttafuoco... Anyone tried this out yet (I've never
played Honda on HF) ? Doesn't sound likely, I know, but anything's
possible.

- Naval

" Then...something shuffles, out of sight...something sucks the stale
air...and hisses. Gliding with ancient grace...eyes gleaming untouched
by love or joy or sorrow...breath hot with the taste of fallen
foes...the stench of dead things, damned things...surely the fiercest
survivor...the purest warrior...glaring, hating...claiming me as your
own." - Frank Miller

Naval.R...@Dartmouth.Edu Dar...@coos.dartmouth.edu

Kenichiro Tanaka

May 9, 1993, 9:39:17 AM5/9/93
On 09-May-93 in Looking for Style points???
user Seth James Killian@ux4.c writes:

> Our local Kenkombomeister has cooked up something which I
> have never before seen posted, and looks cool as all hell. It is
> a Ken (Ryu too, I would think) combo that only hits twice but will
> get applause anyway... It's a standing roundhouse buffered into
> a jab DP.

>[...]

Is there any reason you can't stick an aerial roundhouse in front of
this to make it another TOD? The only problem I guess, is that it won't
sound as cool as the all-fierce TOD because the hits will be different:
"thud...thudpow!" instead of "pow...powpow!" :)

I'll try it out today but I've been having a really hard time getting
the TOD lately. Standard lame excuse: "I think the joystick's flaky...no
really, it is!"

Ken

Sung H. Yi

May 9, 1993, 10:35:32 PM5/9/93
skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

This combo's been done alot in the car-stage around here a while ago
but no-one really uses it in battle (like the knee-dp). I guess nobody's
interested in style points anymore. I'm certain it's been posted here
by Eu-Ming before.

Eu-Ming Lee

May 10, 1993, 12:29:52 AM5/10/93
skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

> People have posted lots of bogus stuff about the standing close
> roundhouse, but to my knowledge no one ever experimented on the
> long range one, and it turns out that its the only one that will
> combo:) Very slick, and the first *new* combo I have read in

Duh! I showed this to you on CLASSIC (or was that Caine?). Anyway,
get a little bit away from the car, and do a standing roundhouse/DP
or fireball.

The only time I used it was one time on CE when Sagat came down from
his TU too far from me for me to combo or even throw. Don't ask my
why, but I instinctively did a roundhouse/fierce DP combo.

--
Eu-Ming Lee (aka CyberGeek) eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
Be there when I feed the tree.

Eu-Ming Lee

May 10, 1993, 12:32:48 AM5/10/93
jnis...@netcom.com (John Nishinaga) writes:

>I'm pretty sure I told Ming this a long time ago when people were discussing
>what constituted a "real" combo. I did this during old classic days, except
>interupted to fireball (didn't think any DP would hit from that distance). I
>doubt it works for Ryu on HF for the same reason.

Yup, and from that I figured out that the button presses for the standing
roundhouse/fireball was the same timing as for the magic throw! It's a
very precise timing, so I made note of it. And from that, I figured that
the magic throw was an upside-down kick interrupted by a sonic boom---
that explained all of the ranging, and the 'side-effect' of the Guile
freeze.

>John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 10, 1993, 4:06:29 AM5/10/93
In article <C6snA...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Eu-Ming Lee) writes:
>jnis...@netcom.com (John Nishinaga) writes:
>
>>I'm pretty sure I told Ming this a long time ago when people were discussing
>>what constituted a "real" combo. I did this during old classic days, except
>>interupted to fireball (didn't think any DP would hit from that distance). I
>>doubt it works for Ryu on HF for the same reason.
>
>Yup, and from that I figured out that the button presses for the standing
>roundhouse/fireball was the same timing as for the magic throw! It's a
>very precise timing, so I made note of it. And from that, I figured that
>the magic throw was an upside-down kick interrupted by a sonic boom---
>that explained all of the ranging, and the 'side-effect' of the Guile
>freeze.

There's probably no point in drudging up old history like this, but how
can the the magic throw be an upside-down kick interrupted by a SB, when you
can do the magic throw in LOTS of situations where the upside-down kick
won't even come out (like when Chun Li is at the peak of her jump and
about 2 inches in front of you). And how does the reverse magic throw fit
in to all this?

>>John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com
>--
>Eu-Ming Lee (aka CyberGeek) eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
>Be there when I feed the tree.

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

John Nishinaga

May 10, 1993, 5:26:33 AM5/10/93

> There's probably no point in drudging up old history like this, but how can
> the the magic throw be an upside-down kick interrupted by a SB, when you
> can do the magic throw in LOTS of situations where the upside-down kick
> won't even come out (like when Chun Li is at the peak of her jump and about
> 2 inches in front of you). And how does the reverse magic throw fit in to
> all this?

Keep in mind the upside-down kick range applies when you hit the Roundhouse.
If you do it and he/she is not range, then a close standing Fierce will
(oddly) come out instead of a Magic Throw. The effect doesn't take place
until the a few moments after, which can give the illusion that you can do
the throw much farther than the upside-down kick range.

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 10, 1993, 2:33:38 PM5/10/93

This is true, but it still doesn't answer my question. Guile can magic throw
people in situations where an upside-down kick just _won't_ come out. Case:
when Chunny is at the peak of her jump and a little bit in front of Guile.
Normally, pressing ROUNDHOUSE would result in a high, spinning roundhouse
kick...not an upside-down kick. And yet, it's completely possible to magic
throw her in this situation.

>--
>John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

John Nishinaga

May 10, 1993, 5:29:48 PM5/10/93
Height doesn't matter. I remember doing a lot of tests during the classic
days and I'm almost positive it was upside-down kick range. Even more, I
don't ever remember anybody doing it out of this range. If you've seen/done
otherwise, I don't know what to say... other than maybe getting some glasses!
:)

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 10, 1993, 7:16:04 PM5/10/93

John, maybe you jumped into the middle of this thread, and don't quite see
what's going on. Eu Ming posted that he believed the magic throw was somehow
related to interrupting an upside-down kick with a sonic boom. MY POINT is
that you can do the magic throw in cases where you CAN"T do an upside-down
kick, so Eu Ming's theory doesn't stand. I don't give a whit about the
range of the magic throw.

>--
>John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Eu-Ming Lee

May 10, 1993, 7:42:41 PM5/10/93
ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Thomas Calvin Cannon) writes:

>This is true, but it still doesn't answer my question. Guile can magic throw
>people in situations where an upside-down kick just _won't_ come out. Case:
>when Chunny is at the peak of her jump and a little bit in front of Guile.
>Normally, pressing ROUNDHOUSE would result in a high, spinning roundhouse
>kick...not an upside-down kick. And yet, it's completely possible to magic
>throw her in this situation.

I dunno. But in every situation in which you can magic throw, you can
flub up the magic throw. And when you flub it up, you'll get the Guile
freeze which is an upside-down roundhouse kick, or a standing uppercut.
These flub ups are minor ones. The first is messed up timing, and the
second is you're out of range. If you mess up really badly (IMO), you'll
get a sonic boom, backhand, or (EGADS!) a standing roundhouse.

Guess, it's a bug within a bug?!

Good question. I'll have to ponder it some more.

>>--
>>John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

>---
>Tom Cannon
>ink...@leland.stanford.edu

David Mattes Orr

May 10, 1993, 8:41:17 PM5/10/93
Yeah, except that the magic throw can be done while Vega's climbing around
on his fence, in a situation where _nothing_ is in range. The upside
down kick would also not appear in that situation, so it can't be being
interrupted by anything.

Dave

John Nishinaga

May 11, 1993, 4:11:56 AM5/11/93
My belief is exactly what Eu Ming believes -- that the super throw is just a
upside-down kick interrupted to a sonic boom. I have yet to see anybody do a
super throw that involved a greater distance, and I've seen/done a lot of
super throws! (Me and my friend often just screw around with Guile on an old
SF2 machine and do super throws all day.)

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 11, 1993, 12:15:04 PM5/11/93
In article <jnishinaC...@netcom.com> jnis...@netcom.com (John Nishinaga) writes:

>ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Thomas Calvin Cannon) writes:
>
>> John, maybe you jumped into the middle of this thread, and don't quite see
>> what's going on. Eu Ming posted that he believed the magic throw was
>> somehow related to interrupting an upside-down kick with a sonic boom. MY
>> POINT is that you can do the magic throw in cases where you CAN"T do an
>> upside-down kick, so Eu Ming's theory doesn't stand. I don't give a whit
>> about the range of the magic throw.
>
>My belief is exactly what Eu Ming believes -- that the super throw is just a
>upside-down kick interrupted to a sonic boom. I have yet to see anybody do a
>super throw that involved a greater distance, and I've seen/done a lot of
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
why are you still talking about range?

>super throws! (Me and my friend often just screw around with Guile on an old
>SF2 machine and do super throws all day.)

Cool...then we're back to ground zero. Now, go to your local classic, and
try this.

o Play Chun
o Let Chun at you
o When she's _really_ high, do a rundhouse (just a roundhouse)
* You should have gotten a spinning roundhouse kick...if not, try again
o Do a magic throw the next time Chun is in that same spot
o LOOK! The magic throw came out.

So you see, my arguement has nothing to do with range (as I mentioned above).
My arguement is that you can execute a magic throw is situations where the
press of the roundhouse button _doesn't_ give you an upside-down kick.
Therefore, the statement that the magic throw is an upside-down kick
interrupted by an SB is not correct.

Also, someone mentioned that you can magic throw vega off the wall, a situation
where _nothing_ is in range! So John, If you can't even _get_ an upside-down
kick, how can up interrupt it to execute a magic throw? Answer: The magic
throw is _not_ an upside-down kick + SB, though the two may have similar
ranges.

>--
>John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

The Zoidster Meister

May 11, 1993, 5:54:58 PM5/11/93
Thomas Calvin Cannon (ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: In article <jnishinaC...@netcom.com> jnis...@netcom.com (John Nishinaga) writes:
: >Height doesn't matter. I remember doing a lot of tests during the classic

: >days and I'm almost positive it was upside-down kick range. Even more, I
: >don't ever remember anybody doing it out of this range. If you've seen/done
: >otherwise, I don't know what to say... other than maybe getting some glasses!
: >:)

: John, maybe you jumped into the middle of this thread, and don't quite see
: what's going on. Eu Ming posted that he believed the magic throw was somehow
: related to interrupting an upside-down kick with a sonic boom. MY POINT is
: that you can do the magic throw in cases where you CAN"T do an upside-down
: kick, so Eu Ming's theory doesn't stand. I don't give a whit about the
: range of the magic throw.

Tom, what John is saying is that in order for the magic throw to work, it must
be started in the same range that the upside down kick has. Your opponent
_can_ jump away while the throw is executing, but they MUST be close enough to
you where and upside down kick would work. Note that the range of the upside
down kick is completely horizontal. Your opponents position relative to you
vertically has no bearing on it.

If this were not so, you could do magic throws from way over on the other side
of the screen. You can not. Try it. Find a classic, play with a buddy and
both of you go to opposite courners (maximum range) and try to magic throw.
It won't work. Edge closer until it does. When it does, you will noice that
you can do upside down kicks at that range as well.

Since your opponent only has to be in range enough for the upside down kick
to come out at the _start_ of the magic throw, it can appear that it can be
done at a farther range. The magic throw does take a relatively long time to
execute (and once Guile starts it, NOTHING can stop him). This is probably
the source of your confusion in that it looks like the opponent is far away
when they fall down from the throw, but actually, they were close enough
when the throw was executed.

--
/// Dave 'Zoid' Kirsch __
zo...@mindlink.bc.ca (preferred) \/

Benjamin Louis Hayek

May 11, 1993, 5:03:32 PM5/11/93

Classic had lots of bugs. It's pointless to argue about their source, since
Capcom didn't even find them.

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 11, 1993, 5:21:22 PM5/11/93
In article <C6vrt...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> bha...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Benjamin Louis Hayek) writes:

>Classic had lots of bugs. It's pointless to argue about their source, since
>Capcom didn't even find them.

Capcom didn't find what? The bugs themselves or the sources? They most
certainly did find the sources of the bugs, cause they fixed 'em in later
versions. Oops! There I go arguing about bugs again. =)

John Nishinaga

May 11, 1993, 6:31:19 PM5/11/93

ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Thomas Calvin Cannon) writes:

> >My belief is exactly what Eu Ming believes -- that the super throw is just
> >a upside-down kick interrupted to a sonic boom. I have yet to see anybody
> >do a super throw that involved a greater distance, and I've seen/done a
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> why are you still talking about range?

Because it has everything to with range!

> >a lot of super throws! (Me and my friend often just screw around with

> >Guile on an old SF2 machine and do super throws all day.)
>
> Cool...then we're back to ground zero. Now, go to your local classic, and
> try this.
>
> o Play Chun
> o Let Chun at you
> o When she's _really_ high, do a rundhouse (just a roundhouse)
> * You should have gotten a spinning roundhouse kick...if not, try again
> o Do a magic throw the next time Chun is in that same spot
> o LOOK! The magic throw came out.

Well, that's a very inaccurate test IMHO. If you want to know how I reached
my "wrong" conclusion, try the following test:

1. Play Guile vs. Dhalsim.
2. Have Guile walk back so he's against the wall.
3. Have Dhalsim follow and have him Jump (up) when he's near Guile.
4. Have Guile pull back and press Roundhouse when Dhalsim is in the air (top
of his jump, whatever -- doesn't matter).
5. If Guile does an upside-down kick, nudge Dhalsim back a little and repeat
steps 3-4 until Guile does a standing Roundhouse.
6. Have Dhalsim jump in the air and have Guile do a backwards Super Throw (a
la Foward, Back/Defense + Roundhouse + Fierce) so that he's firmly against
the wall when taps the buttons. Note how a standing Fierce comes out.
7. Have Dhalsim nudge a little close and do step 6. Note how a Super Throw
comes out.

Interesting, eh?

David Mattes Orr

May 11, 1993, 9:38:48 PM5/11/93

This is sort of funny. You guys are arguing about totally different things.
Tom is not talking about the range of the throw. He never said anything
about range at all! What he did say is that the magic throw is not an
interrupted upside down kick, because it happens in situations where the
upside down kick would never come out. The ranges may be similar (or the same)
but there the relation ends.

That's about enough said on that topic, don't you think?

Dave

Eu-Ming Lee

May 13, 1993, 10:43:24 PM5/13/93
dm...@leland.Stanford.EDU (David Mattes Orr) writes:

>This is sort of funny. You guys are arguing about totally different things.
>Tom is not talking about the range of the throw. He never said anything
>about range at all! What he did say is that the magic throw is not an
>interrupted upside down kick, because it happens in situations where the
>upside down kick would never come out. The ranges may be similar (or the same)
>but there the relation ends.

It never happens anytime you can't do the upside-down kick. You CAN do
the upside-down kick when Vega is on the fence. You CAN do it when Chun-Li
is above you. What matters IS the range--- horizontally. The vertical
range is irrelevant.

>That's about enough said on that topic, don't you think?

Agreed.

>Dave

Frank M. Lin

May 21, 1993, 3:12:49 PM5/21/93
>Height doesn't matter. I remember doing a lot of tests during the
>classic days and I'm almost positive it was upside-down kick range.
>Even more, I don't ever remember anybody doing it out of this range.
>If you've seen/done otherwise, I don't know what to say... other than
>maybe getting some glasses!
>:)

Read my other post about fun things with invisible-throw. That one
variation I did with Sagat seems out of the range ( and he is ), but I
guess when the invisible-throw "took affect", he was still with in
the range.

--
frank m. lin
fm...@netcom.com