Balrog's 50% punch

Jiann-ming Su

May 12, 1993, 10:42:15 PM5/12/93
Has anybody actually hit someone with Balrog's punch that takes off
half life if all the buttons are held down long enough?

Lord Vader

May 12, 1993, 11:55:06 PM5/12/93
j...@Isis.MsState.Edu (Jiann-ming Su) writes:

:Has anybody actually hit someone with Balrog's punch that takes off

:half life if all the buttons are held down long enough?

Sure, but not in a real fight... I trashed the guy in the second round
after I had won the first, and I was about to take him down, then I
decided I wanted to see a level 8 TAP. I let him take the second round
under the condition that I got to beat on him freely in the third.
What fun, right? Well, a Final TAP came about after an insanely
long charge time. I hit him square in the head. It was cool watching
the life just drain off way after the attack had hit. I charged up
for another before the round was to end, another hit in the head,
and he's dead! Two hits, but who would be foolish enough to fall for
that, especially after that long?

--
Caine Schneider lord...@uiuc.edu
"My fists have your blood on them." -Balrog

Michael Masao Ng

May 13, 1993, 12:59:01 AM5/13/93
ca...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Lord Vader) writes:

>j...@Isis.MsState.Edu (Jiann-ming Su) writes:

I thought that that was the whole point of Balrog's infamous 3-fist
method? I mean, you keep the TAP charged up, using the kicks to play around
until your opponent opens himself up for a TAP you've been charging since the
fight began! Well, not that I'm really good at Shou Sheng Feng or whatever
this 3-fist method was called....

Kenichiro Tanaka

May 13, 1993, 1:25:23 AM5/13/93
On 13-May-93 in Balrog's 50% punch
user Jiann-ming S...@Isis.MsSta writes:

>Has anybody actually hit someone with Balrog's punch that takes off
>half life if all the buttons are held down long enough?

You only have to hold down all the punch buttons OR all the kick buttons
to charge the turn around punch (TAP).

For the ultimate in useless cool moves, there's the double final TAP.
Hold down all six buttons until you have the TAP's charged up fully (I
don't play Balrog--how long does this actually take?) and release either
the punch buttons or the kick buttons. When the first TAP connects,
release the other three buttons for a second final TAP. Two hits. KO.
Mostly useless. But really funny to see a fully yellow life bar go to
solid red in the space of a second.

Actually, is it ever useful to have two TAP's charged up? Is TAP - TAP a
combo? That'd be useful it seems, if you can get someone to fireball you
up close.

Ken

Lord Vader

May 13, 1993, 1:51:10 AM5/13/93
mik...@cco.caltech.edu (Michael Masao Ng) writes:

: I thought that that was the whole point of Balrog's infamous 3-fist

:method? I mean, you keep the TAP charged up, using the kicks to play around
:until your opponent opens himself up for a TAP you've been charging since the
:fight began! Well, not that I'm really good at Shou Sheng Feng or whatever
:this 3-fist method was called....

I never said that I play that way, and I don't remember it all, but the
idea of Sheng Shou Fang isn't to be charged all the time for a TAP, but
rather for the other dashing punches. The long lost Three Foot method
which no one has seen in a long time was to allow excessive charge times
if I do recall. It is somewhat difficult to play three fist on the
tight space given my big hands... This is the time I wish they were
smaller, for using Balrog.

Lord Vader

May 13, 1993, 2:02:08 AM5/13/93
mik...@cco.caltech.edu (Michael Masao Ng) writes:

: I thought that that was the whole point of Balrog's infamous 3-fist

:method? I mean, you keep the TAP charged up, using the kicks to play around
:until your opponent opens himself up for a TAP you've been charging since the
:fight began! Well, not that I'm really good at Shou Sheng Feng or whatever
:this 3-fist method was called....

Here is what the Sheng Shou Fang actually says:

1) The Haymaker
First, you need to learn to punch. I don't mean any punch. I mean you need
to be able to do the turn-around (Haymaker) punch one after the other, just
like the computer.

Hold down all three buttons with your fingers, your index finger on the jab
button. If you play cross-handed, then I'm sorry. Go buy some coordination.
Now, after you charge for the haymaker (about 1 second), let go of just the
jab button and then press and hold it down again immediately. After you're
through doing the haymaker, let go of the jab button and press it again.
Do this as much as necessary until you get a feel for Balrog's minimum
charge time for his haymaker. This charge time is important. It is the
same charge time for ALL of his moves.

The thing goes on and on, and Ming repeatedly offers advice about TAP
followed by TAP, and he says keep charged as much as possible so that
you are ready for any attack that you might counter. The important thing
here is TAP -> TAP -> TAP -> etc... I can do this, and it is a lot
better than waiting for 10 minutes while it charges up!

Raul R Ramirez

May 13, 1993, 2:19:28 AM5/13/93
In article <1ssci7$9...@Tut.MsState.Edu> j...@Isis.MsState.Edu (Jiann-ming Su) writes:
>Has anybody actually hit someone with Balrog's punch that takes off
>half life if all the buttons are held down long enough?

Against the computer, only once! However, this is somewhat difficult
to accomplish against human players. I have yet to hit a human player
with Balrog's punch charged at maximum. Either they block the punch,
I miss them completely, or my punch is cut off by a projectile of
some sort (i.e fireball, Honda's big head etc.)

Raul Ramirez
rram...@gas.uug.arizona.edu

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 13, 1993, 2:29:00 PM5/13/93
In article <UfwRj3O00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Kenichiro Tanaka <kt...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>On 13-May-93 in Balrog's 50% punch
[TAP discussion deleted]

>Actually, is it ever useful to have two TAP's charged up? Is TAP - TAP a
>combo? That'd be useful it seems, if you can get someone to fireball you
>up close.

Actually, yes, it is useful to have two TAP's charged at the same time.
Imagine that you've got really big hands =). Now learn to play Balrog
using just punch buttons. Once you can do this, hold down the kick buttons
with your palm. This allows you to charge for a final TAP, but you can
still use the punch buttons for normal moves and a "utility TAP', which
means that you can still TAP through fireballs, etc. Then, if you ever
get them dizzy, (or they do something rather foolish) it's game over. >=)

>Ken

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@lelad.stanford.edu

Brian Odom

May 15, 1993, 1:14:05 AM5/15/93
In <1ssci7$9...@Tut.MsState.Edu> j...@Isis.MsState.Edu (Jiann-ming Su) writes:

>Has anybody actually hit someone with Balrog's punch that takes off
>half life if all the buttons are held down long enough?

Sure. Just plop in two credits, hold down all 6 buttons and wait until the
timer is at about 39 or so seconds left. Release all 3 punch buttons, then
release all 3 kick buttons. Voila. Two final blows. If not dead, then near
death.

Brian Odom

May 15, 1993, 1:17:11 AM5/15/93

No it's not. After the first TAP, the stronger the TAP the more Balrog slides.
Balrog sliding plus his wind up motion to begin the TAP makes this a non combo.

Eu-Ming Lee

May 13, 1993, 11:23:36 PM5/13/93
mik...@cco.caltech.edu (Michael Masao Ng) writes:

> I thought that that was the whole point of Balrog's infamous 3-fist
>method? I mean, you keep the TAP charged up, using the kicks to play around
>until your opponent opens himself up for a TAP you've been charging since the
>fight began! Well, not that I'm really good at Shou Sheng Feng or whatever
>this 3-fist method was called....

Sheng Shou Feng--- close. Anyway, the point was NOT to hit them with
a 'Final' TAP. The point was to use the TAP's invulnerability to your
advantage. It is this invulnerability which Balrog needed desperately
in CE. Use the TAP liberally, combined with many rushing straight
punches, rushing uppercuts, and headbutts.

The Sheng Shou Feng method works remarkably well against Ken and Ryu,
at least the ones at UIUC, anyway. Now don't say, "You just don't
have any good Ken and Ryu's at UIUC", because I'd have to agree...
HahahahHahahAha! :)

>>--
>>Caine Schneider lord...@uiuc.edu
>>"My fists have your blood on them." -Balrog

--
Eu-Ming Lee (aka CyberGeek) eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
Be there when I feed the tree.

Eu-Ming Lee

May 13, 1993, 11:29:53 PM5/13/93
rram...@helium.gas.uug.arizona.edu (Raul R Ramirez) writes:

>In article <1ssci7$9...@Tut.MsState.Edu> j...@Isis.MsState.Edu (Jiann-ming Su) writes:
>>Has anybody actually hit someone with Balrog's punch that takes off
>>half life if all the buttons are held down long enough?

I was playing the computer the other day. It must have been a really
tough level because when I got to Balrog, he didn't do anything at all
other than block. And I knew well enough not to go in for a tick against
the computer. Usually, Balrog falls for some combos pretty easily,
but not this Balrog. Finally, I was willing to let the time run out
since I was ahead because he blocked some fireballs. I decided to
throw one last fireball, and the computer Balrog slammed me with
a 'Final' TAP. It took off ALL of my life! I mean, I had taken NO
damage! One hit! Gee, I think it's unfair that the computer can just
charge for the TAP the whole round and crush you at the end. Well,
just add that to other ways the computer can cheat.

> Raul Ramirez
> rram...@gas.uug.arizona.edu

-Ming "Wae Stokins" Lee