Need Ryu Tips

Huy T. Nguyen

May 12, 1993, 9:54:16 AM5/12/93
Some questions about Ryu:

1) For his flying attack/crouching fierce/buffered jab DP combo to work, does
the flying attack have to be a neck kick or can I hit them real low w/ a
flying roundhouse?

2) Are there any true ground based HK combos?

3) What's the proper positioning for a fireball trap? I set myself near the
middle of the screen a little towards my half; correct or not?

4) What's the proper distance to roundhouse sweep an opponent who's just
jumped over a fireball. 2/3 of the screenlength away?

Any info would be appreciated.
--
-- Huy Nguyen (Huyster) Internet: huy...@seas.gwu.edu --
-- --

Seth James Killian

May 12, 1993, 11:15:07 PM5/12/93
huy...@seas.gwu.edu (Huy T. Nguyen) writes:

>Some questions about Ryu:

>1) For his flying attack/crouching fierce/buffered jab DP combo to work, does
>the flying attack have to be a neck kick or can I hit them real low w/ a
>flying roundhouse?

This is actually still debated, although with little enthusiasm.
I have done it, but without the neck kick, the combo seems to be totally
inconsistent, and from what I hear on the net, it aint just me. Try
substituting a crouching strong or forward kick (hi Caine:) for the
fierce and it becomes a regular, totally consistent combo when done from
the front or back.

>2) Are there any true ground based HK combos?

No.

>3) What's the proper positioning for a fireball trap? I set myself near the
>middle of the screen a little towards my half; correct or not?

This question is too ambiguous. FB trap spacing is entirely
dependent on the character. For Blanka (yes, Blanka!) you should be
completely across the screen, whereas Guile can be trapped in the corner from a little under 2/3 the screen. Bison should be FB'd from the other side of the screen unless you got him in the corner, in which case you
can stand a touch beyond his standing roundhouse range and *kill* him :) Be a lot more specific, but also keep in mind it can be very difficult
to convey such precise spacings via the net...

>4) What's the proper distance to roundhouse sweep an opponent who's just
>jumped over a fireball. 2/3 of the screenlength away?

Some opponents cannot be swept as they jump over your FB.
Their aerial attacks outrange your crouching roundhouse. Both
Honda and Blanka are very vulnerable to this tactic though. Ken
and Ryu can also be swept if you notice your opponent has a tendency
to attack even a tiny bit too early from the air, although even this
is very tough to take advantage of, and simply will not work if they
do everything right, unlike Honda and Blanka. Again, subtle spacings
like this are tough to spell out, but just practice against computer
Honda and Blanka, they both love to jump over FB's. I am actually
forced to FB trap the computer Honda to death sometimes, when he goes
crazy with the Buttafuoco/HHS/throw, so I know it works...

Seth Killian

Lord Vader

May 13, 1993, 12:03:24 AM5/13/93
skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

:huy...@seas.gwu.edu (Huy T. Nguyen) writes:

:>1) For his flying attack/crouching fierce/buffered jab DP combo to work, does

:>the flying attack have to be a neck kick or can I hit them real low w/ a
:>flying roundhouse?

: inconsistent, and from what I hear on the net, it aint just me. Try

: substituting a crouching strong or forward kick (hi Caine:) for the
: fierce and it becomes a regular, totally consistent combo when done from
: the front or back.

Seth LOVES the flying attack, crouching strong, strong or jab DP combo.
This flying attack, forward sweep/Jab DP is totally consistent vs. tall
opponents, and is my favorite Ryu combo. Against other opponents, you have
to jump so that you land right next to them, with almost no room between
the two of you. Lord Baal has been saying that he got it to do 50% with
a neck kick once, he enthusiastically calls it Ryu's TOD combo, but what
does he know? =)

:>2) Are there any true ground based HK combos?

If you are talking HF or CE, forget it. Classic or SNES, yes.

:>3) What's the proper positioning for a fireball trap? I set myself near the

:>middle of the screen a little towards my half; correct or not?

: completely across the screen, whereas Guile can be trapped in the corner from a little under 2/3 the screen. Bison should be FB'd from the other side of the screen unless you got him in the corner, in which case you

: can stand a touch beyond his standing roundhouse range and *kill* him :) Be a lot more specific, but also keep in mind it can be very difficult

This FB trap vs Bison works very well as Seth knows... He kills me with
it. Strong FBs seem to work well.

--
Caine Schneider lord...@uiuc.edu
"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance." -Ryu

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 12, 1993, 11:59:27 PM5/12/93
In article <C6y3p...@news.cso.uiuc.edu> skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:
>huy...@seas.gwu.edu (Huy T. Nguyen) writes:
>
>>Some questions about Ryu:

[stuff deleted]

>>2) Are there any true ground based HK combos?
>
> No.

What about crouching jab + any HK? I know, it's insignificant, but it
exists =)

Kenichiro Tanaka

May 13, 1993, 1:17:28 AM5/13/93
On 13-May-93 in Re: Need Ryu Tips
user Thomas Calvin Cannon@lel writes:

>>>2) Are there any true ground based HK combos?
>>
>> No.
>>

>What about crouching jab + any HK? I know, it's insignificant, but it
>exists =)

Short sweep/Forward sweep - HK is definitely a combo. In fact, aerial
attack - forward sweep - HK is a combo as well. I don't understand why
people insist that there are no HK combos. One of the Ryu masters here
(hi John) uses them all the time and yes, we know how to block. :)

Ken

Kenichiro Tanaka

May 13, 1993, 1:54:15 PM5/13/93
user Seth James Killian@ux4.c writes:

> This is actually still debated, although with little enthusiasm.
> I have done it, but without the neck kick, the combo seems to be totally
> inconsistent, and from what I hear on the net, it aint just me. Try
> substituting a crouching strong or forward kick (hi Caine:) for the
> fierce and it becomes a regular, totally consistent combo when done from
> the front or back.

Ahhh, but the standing strong looks so much cooler. :) When doing
combos, always use the standing punch or kick (with any
character)--knees and elbows look so much better than those silly
uppercuts and jabs. :)

But seriously, is there anything about the strong that makes it better
than the jab? Because I find that flying fierce - standing jab - jab DP
is not a sure hit with Ryu. I've also whiffed with the DP in Ken's
flying fierce - fierce - jab DP combo a couple of times. Am I just not
hitting deeply enough?

Ken

Seth James Killian

May 13, 1993, 2:29:58 PM5/13/93
Kenichiro Tanaka <kt...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

Well color my face red. If this is the case then I am just
wrong. I thought that jabs to HK might combo, but of course, who
cares? If aerial attack, forward sweep, HK *is* a combo, then I've
got something new to practice for the first time in ages. I swear
I've tried this before though, and while you can buffer the hell out
of the HK, I never felt it was a combo. I may be gone before I get
a chance to play test (again) but even so, it will do less damage
than a well timed aerial roundhouse, standing strong, strong DP...
So nyah :)

Seth Killian

>Ken

Patrick Gray

May 13, 1993, 8:37:28 AM5/13/93
In article <1993May12.1...@seas.gwu.edu>, huy...@seas.gwu.edu (Huy T. Nguyen) writes:
>Some questions about Ryu:
>
>1) For his flying attack/crouching fierce/buffered jab DP combo to work, does
>the flying attack have to be a neck kick or can I hit them real low w/ a
>flying roundhouse?

I think it does. If you use a neck kick, then you can use a standing fierce
and jab DP anyway. A long time ago, someone did it to me (when I was still
learning), and they used a neck kick-standing fierce-jab DP. All three hits
connected.

>2) Are there any true ground based HK combos?

There are a couple, but they aren't really worth doing.

>3) What's the proper positioning for a fireball trap? I set myself near the
>middle of the screen a little towards my half; correct or not?

I just pretty much guess at a position. It's usually half the screen or
somewhere around there. On HF the FB trap doesn't work anymore so I don't use
it much.

>4) What's the proper distance to roundhouse sweep an opponent who's just
>jumped over a fireball. 2/3 of the screenlength away?

All you have to do is know the range of the roundhouse sweep and then predict
where the opponent will land. Throw the roundhouse out before the opponent
lands and he'll be right on top of it. I'm usually about 2-3 bodylengths away
when I do it.

>Any info would be appreciated.
>--
>-- Huy Nguyen (Huyster) Internet: huy...@seas.gwu.edu --
>-- --
>-- "Stimpy, you fat, bloated, IDIOT!!!" --

Patrick Gray
PEG...@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU

Patrick Gray

May 13, 1993, 1:40:05 PM5/13/93
In article <C6y3p...@news.cso.uiuc.edu>, skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:
>huy...@seas.gwu.edu (Huy T. Nguyen) writes:
>
> [...]

>>2) Are there any true ground based HK combos?
>
> No.

Are you sure about this? I've seen a flying fierce (optional)-fierce-buffered
HK for both Ken and Ryu, but maybe some of the hits are blockable. I've never
bothered to try it because the TOD is so much better.

> [...]
>
> Seth Killian

Patrick Gray
PEG...@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU

Kenichiro Tanaka

May 13, 1993, 11:32:12 PM5/13/93
On 13-May-93 in Re: Need Ryu Tips
user Seth James Killian@ux4.c writes:

> Well color my face red. If this is the case then I am just
> wrong. I thought that jabs to HK might combo, but of course, who
> cares? If aerial attack, forward sweep, HK *is* a combo, then I've
> got something new to practice for the first time in ages. I swear
> I've tried this before though, and while you can buffer the hell out
> of the HK, I never felt it was a combo. I may be gone before I get
> a chance to play test (again) but even so, it will do less damage
> than a well timed aerial roundhouse, standing strong, strong DP...
> So nyah :)

In general, how much damage does the aerial roundhouse - standing strong
- strong DP combo do? Because one of our Ryu's has started doing
standing fierce - jab DP on dizzied opponents and at first, I though
"What the hell?" but these two hits alone do an obscene amount of
damage. This may be the most damaging combo Ryu has (except for neck
kick - fierce - DP), which is pretty depressing because it's no where
near as cool as the aerial combos. I've heard 40% damage for this
standing two hit, which is pretty sick...rrrr, I hate Ryu. :)

Ken

HO KHEE YOKE

May 14, 1993, 12:19:26 AM5/14/93
Anyone confirm if this is a combo : "Neck Kick , buffered HK" ? I only
did it once accidentally.. and it dizzy the opponent... But i haven't
able to do it consistently..

anyone else use this combo?

- Exodus -

Frank M. Lin

May 21, 1993, 3:53:44 PM5/21/93

I've used,
fierce/roundhouse ( in the air )
strong ( standup or crouch ) / forward ( crouch, but some times standup work )
HK

on tall char; Sagat, Zangief, Guile

You can use

roundhouse ( on their back; do you guys call this neck kick? )
fierce ( standup or crouch )
HK ( I've only tried the roundhouse one )

I've done this on RYU/KEN, and I presume it will work for many other chars as
well. Although, why use HK when you can DP? :) I use this on player who
I'm sure I can beat only.

Note that you can always subsitude a "lower grade" punch in there... ie,
subsitude fierce for strong, etc.

--
frank m. lin
fm...@netcom.com