Chun Li...

Charles Hyun_cho Kim

May 25, 1993, 3:44:05 AM5/25/93
Hey, I'm new to the group so please excuse me if I'm bringing up a moot topic...
Well, my player would be Chun Li, however she seems to be lacking in a few
areas. For example, how do I get out of the fireball traps people
playing Ken or Ryu like to pull? Also, are there any quick combos or
cheap moves I can pull on people who like to play cheap? Personally,
I try to avoid these contests that simply test who can pull off the
combo, but sometimes I get stuck playing people who can only do just
that...
Chun Li players of the world! Send me some tips on how to trash people who
thrive on cheap combos...

Thomas Calvin Cannon

May 25, 1993, 4:34:57 AM5/25/93
In article <1tsio5...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> ha...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Charles Hyun_cho Kim) writes:
>Hey, I'm new to the group so please excuse me if I'm bringing up a moot topic...

Heaven forbid...a moot topic brought up on this group. =)

>Well, my player would be Chun Li, however she seems to be lacking in a few
> areas. For example, how do I get out of the fireball traps people
> playing Ken or Ryu like to pull? Also, are there any quick combos or
> cheap moves I can pull on people who like to play cheap? Personally,
> I try to avoid these contests that simply test who can pull off the
> combo, but sometimes I get stuck playing people who can only do just
> that...
>Chun Li players of the world! Send me some tips on how to trash people who
> thrive on cheap combos...

Glad you're not afraid of using cheap moves. ;) Hmmm....in any version,
Chun's at a disadvantage against Ryu/Ken. I suppose the trick is playing
in a way that tips the scales back towards an even match. Hope this helps...

FB Traps
--------

When you say FB trap, do you mean the classic fireball (Chun hops over) + DP
scenario, or are you talking about the Ryu corner trap (where Ryu volleys
a torrent of FB's from almost 1/2 the screen away.) against the second the
only thing you can do is hop (straight up) over a FB and try to run, jump,
or pray your way out of the corner. Against the first, there's quite a bit
more you can do.

IMHO (of course) the best place for Chun to be against Ryu/Ken is just inside
her standing forward-kick range. At this range, hit forward kick repeatedly.
If Ryu/Ken backs up, move with him. If you do this correctly, your kick
will knock Ryu/Ken out of a fireball _before_ it can come out. It will also
prevent Ryu/Ken from jumping forward on you. You should be _just_
outside of Ryu/Ken's crouched roundhouse range (primarily because when you're
kicking, the foot closest to your opponent is raised). If Ryu/Ken tries to
sweep you, run in and throw them. Then start over. >=P If Ryu/Ken manages
to jump in on you, either run-under and throw or step back and knock them
out of the sky with another standing forward. Feel your way around and
figure out other nasty things to do to your opponent.

Unfortunately, there are _lots_ of counters to this technique. The most
obvious is to DP Chun's leg while she's kicking. You can reduce the
effectiveness of this counter by kicking in an unpredictable way. Like
(sf sf cf cf sf sf cf cf sf) where "sf" is a standing forward, and
"cf" is a crouched forward. Another counter for Ryu is to HK. When Ryu
does this, either let him go, or block the HK and throw (only if you're
feeling lucky). If this technique is new to the Ryu/Ken players in your
area, you should have plenty of time to play before they start countering.
Once they learn a counter, compensate for it and incorporate your counter-
counter into your style.

OTHER THINGS TO MASTER WITH CHUN
--------------------------------

If you want to beat Ryu/Ken with _any_ consistancy, you've got to learn to
combo. By far the most effective Chun combo is Flying fierce + standing
fierce + lightning kick. In order to get this, you've got to start tapping
the lightning kick _before_ you hit the standing fierce. So, you tap like
this:

( *jump* F s s F s s s s s s s ) where F is fierce and s is short

IMHO this is probably the toughest combo in the game to get down
consistantly, but it is possible. Getting it down is well worth the effort.
It nearly always stuns, and does excellent damage. Once you've got the
combo consistantly, you can make Ryu/Ken think twice about throwing that
extra FB, as an anticipated FB will lead to a 3-hit combo + stun + another
3-hit combo (and likely KO). If your opponent starts throwing lots of
fakes, it gives you an opportunity to run into your "zone" and start the
above-mentioned forward-kick technique.

Here are some other Chun combos:

Any flying hit + standing strong + standing fierce
Any flying hit + standing strong + crouched forward
** Neck kick (any) + standing strong + standing fierce + lightning kick

** This combo does more damage than the fierce + fierce + lightning kick, but
is so much harder to do that it's really not worth it.

SUMMARY
-------
Make a match against Chun an emotional rollercoaster for your opponent.
Play mind games with 'em. Get them to think about anything but their
normal game-plan. Stay on the ground as much as possible, unless you think
you can get a combo off.

---
Tom Cannon
ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Seth James Killian

May 25, 1993, 12:38:49 PM5/25/93
ink...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Thomas Calvin Cannon) writes:

>In article <1tsio5...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu> ha...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Charles Hyun_cho Kim) writes:

[much valid Chun Li advice deleted]

>SUMMARY
>-------
>Make a match against Chun an emotional rollercoaster for your opponent.
>Play mind games with 'em. Get them to think about anything but their
>normal game-plan. Stay on the ground as much as possible, unless you think
>you can get a combo off.

I don't know if this will have the same effect on anyone else
that it did on me, but I could and did all of the above mentioned,
but would still usually lose to a tight Ryu/Ken. After watching our
only Chun Li master defeat our tightest Ryu (not a regular occurence,
but not a fluke, he actuallu *won*) I just had to ask what was his
secret. I couldn't note any specific differences in his play and mine,
but he was winning. This is what he told me: When I play Chun Li,
I don't expect to win, like if I were to pick Ryu. I play Chun because
I like to, and it is challenging. You (meaning me) want to win when
you play her, which is all wrong (he smiles). When you take Chun Li,
you must not be afraid to die, or you will do just that. You must
jump in like a blind fool once in a while, to land a crushing combo,
and put the round away. There is no skill to that, per se, but Chun
is disadvantaged against several main characters, and that is how you
win with her.

Maybe it sounds like BS, but it really did change my game,
I wish you well...

Seth Killian

>---
>Tom Cannon
>ink...@leland.stanford.edu

Kenichiro Tanaka

May 25, 1993, 2:05:04 PM5/25/93
On 25-May-93 in Re: Chun Li...
user Thomas Calvin Cannon@lel writes:
>Heaven forbid...a moot topic brought up on this group. =)
>
>>[Deleted for brevity]

>Glad you're not afraid of using cheap moves. ;) Hmmm....in any version,
>Chun's at a disadvantage against Ryu/Ken.

Now, this is _really_ moot because no one plays Classic anymore ^_^ but
didn't Chun Li have the advantage against Ken/Ryu in Classic? They had
really long fireball delays originally, and one Chun Li got in close,
she could strong - throw them to death. Or am I missing something here?
It seems like Ken/Ryu weren't all that great on Classic.

Ken

Kenichiro Tanaka

May 25, 1993, 2:15:38 PM5/25/93
On 25-May-93 in Re: Chun Li...
user Thomas Calvin Cannon@lel writes:

>If you want to beat Ryu/Ken with _any_ consistancy, you've got to learn to
>combo. By far the most effective Chun combo is Flying fierce + standing
>fierce + lightning kick. In order to get this, you've got to start tapping
>the lightning kick _before_ you hit the standing fierce. So, you tap like
>this:
>
>( *jump* F s s F s s s s s s s ) where F is fierce and s is short
>
>IMHO this is probably the toughest combo in the game to get down
>consistantly, but it is possible. Getting it down is well worth the effort.

Actually, it's very easy--it's not necessary to do what you described.
First of all, there's no need to differentiate between the fierce and
roundhouse taps. For some reason, the fierce button always takes
priority over the roundhouse button. So all you have to do is tap the
buttons simultaneously when you hit with the initial fierce.

Second, I don't think the short lightning kick has any advantages over
the roundhouse. The roundhouse comes out just as fast (when started in
the air) and will hit more times if blocked. I've also heard that the
roundhouse has better range but I haven't confirmed this.

So it looks more like this:

*jump* F F F F F F F F F
RH RH RH RH RH RH RH RH RH

The key is to tap really fast. ^_^

Ken

Philip John Stroffolino

May 25, 1993, 3:44:55 PM5/25/93
Thomas Calvin Cannon writes:

>By far the most effective Chun combo is Flying fierce + standing
>fierce + lightning kick. In order to get this, you've got to start
>tapping the lightning kick _before_ you hit the standing fierce.
>So, you tap like this:

>( *jump* F s s F s s s s s s s ) where F is fierce and s is short

>IMHO this is probably the toughest combo in the game to get down
>consistantly, but it is possible.

There's a "trick" that makes it a heck of a lot easier to do. If you
press a punch and a kick button at the same time, a punch always comes
out. You can jump in, and at the last second, begin pressing both
fierce and the kick of your choice, simultaneously, repeatedly. Works
like a charm... (thanks, Pat)

If the lightening leg kick comes out too soon (before the palm press),
next time just use a more powerful kick. The more powerful LL kicks do
more damage, are faster, and have greater reach (thanks, Ken :^)

The extra speed and reach of the roundhouse and forward LL is especially
useful when comboing a dizzy opponent, since a freshly dizzied victim
won't fall down after the first LL hit.

>Getting it down is well worth the effort.

absosmurfly!

Phil

John Nishinaga

May 25, 1993, 6:13:29 PM5/25/93

skil...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Seth James Killian) writes:

> I don't know if this will have the same effect on anyone
> else that it did on me, but I could and did all of the above
> mentioned, but would still usually lose to a tight Ryu/Ken. After
> watching our only Chun Li master defeat our tightest Ryu (not a
> regular occurence, but not a fluke, he actuallu *won*) I just had
> to ask what was his secret. I couldn't note any specific
> differences in his play and mine, but he was winning. This is what
> he told me: When I play Chun Li, I don't expect to win, like if I
> were to pick Ryu. I play Chun because I like to, and it is
> challenging. You (meaning me) want to win when you play her, which
> is all wrong (he smiles). When you take Chun Li, you must not be
> afraid to die, or you will do just that. You must jump in like a
> blind fool once in a while, to land a crushing combo, and put the
> round away. There is no skill to that, per se, but Chun is
> disadvantaged against several main characters, and that is how you
> win with her.
>
> Maybe it sounds like BS, but it really did change my game,
> I wish you well...

Not at all. I used to play a Chun Li that was very defensive and reactionary
and although it works well for some characters, it stunk especially against
Ryu/Ken. Then I would see my friend who plays a very wild style Chun-Li and
he would win against those who I lost to, even though my game style would
labled "better."

Once I started jumping a little more and started hitting out that Lightning
Kick, I found I could actually beat master Ryu/Ken's. I think the best way
to play Chun Li is ground based but still jump in if you _think_ he's going
to fireball. That doesn't mean jump around like a kangaroo, but just make
enough fear so that Ryu/Ken will think twice before throwing out that
fireball.
--
John Nishinaga - jnis...@netcom.com

HO KHEE YOKE

May 25, 1993, 10:21:18 PM5/25/93
: Here are some other Chun combos:

: Any flying hit + standing strong + standing fierce
: Any flying hit + standing strong + crouched forward
: ** Neck kick (any) + standing strong + standing fierce + lightning kick

Just found a combo which i think no one mention in the net yet.. try
this (HF only):

Flying Fierce, Stand Strong, Buffered FB

Cheers...Exodus!

Eu-Ming Lee

May 25, 1993, 11:44:37 PM5/25/93
Kenichiro Tanaka <kt...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>Now, this is _really_ moot because no one plays Classic anymore ^_^ but
>didn't Chun Li have the advantage against Ken/Ryu in Classic? They had
>really long fireball delays originally, and one Chun Li got in close,
>she could strong - throw them to death. Or am I missing something here?
>It seems like Ken/Ryu weren't all that great on Classic.

Well, she did have an overwhelming advantage over Ken/Ryu in classic,
but not exactly for the reason you state. She can hang around and
just outside of Ken/Ryu's roundhouse sweep range and forward sweep
whenever they do anything. In classic, even if you DP-ed Chun's leg,
she could walk up and throw you for more damage. If Ken/Ryu jumped
in, Chun li could walk under and throw. And she easily avoided fireball
traps by simply jumping straight up over fireballs and walking forward
whenever she got the chance.

The only escape was if Ken/Ryu successfully traded a roundhouse sweep
for a forward sweep, but even then it wasn't hard for Chun Li to get
in on Ken/Ryu again.

--
Eu-Ming Lee (aka CyberGeek) eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
Be there when I feed the tree.

Sima Yi

May 26, 1993, 10:17:22 AM5/26/93

My friend is also trying to perfect the Flying Fierce (FF), Standing Fierce
(SF), FB. Does a butt load of damage but not sure if it works on a human
opponent with enough regularity.

With regards to some comments of Chun Li vs. Ryu/Ken: Some of the regular
Broadway arcade players have been experimenting with this matchup. Doing
better than I would have expected but still a difficult match for Chun Li it
seems. For regular Chun Li players, would you willingly play this matchup
even though other matchups would be more suitable (ie. Ryu/Ken vs Ryu/Ken
or Zangief vs. Ryu/Ken)?

One last note, I hate trying to HK over her FB! *&#^!@%

--
//Lui Sieh |How seldom we weigh our neighbor in the same
Mail: si...@panix.com |balance with ourselves. -- Thomas A Kempis

Seth James Killian

May 26, 1993, 5:39:54 PM5/26/93
si...@panix.com (Sima Yi) writes:

>In article <1993May26....@nuscc.nus.sg> isc3...@nusunix1.nus.sg (HO KHEE YOKE) writes:
>>Just found a combo which i think no one mention in the net yet.. try
>>this (HF only):
>>
>>Flying Fierce, Stand Strong, Buffered FB

>My friend is also trying to perfect the Flying Fierce (FF), Standing Fierce
>(SF), FB. Does a butt load of damage but not sure if it works on a human
>opponent with enough regularity.

Not a combo. You can buffer it to hell and back, and yes,
it comes out fast, but it don't combo. It's just too slow.

Seth Killian

Patrick Jason Soo Hoo

May 26, 1993, 10:49:51 PM5/26/93

(lots of text not shown because of a lack of a good editor)

(F-F-Roundhouse vs. F-F-Short)

It might be just that my fingers are too slow, but my F-F-Roundhouse wind kick
doesn't combo _nearly_ as often as the F-F-Short seems to, even though visually
they seem about the same speed. With the short, the combo will hit and dizzy most of the time, however I get a much lower rate of success (perhaps it's the la
ck of a sufficient sample size, but there seems to be no way to fix that -- I
haven't seen a single playable HF here in CT yet :( with the roundhouse. Has anyone else noticed something like this?

Has anyone tried a buffered aerial bird kick yet? I've been meaning to try it,
but the lack of machines and all... anyways it's doubtful that it'd be of any use, but it might make a nice novelty move to play with against the computer. :)
On a side not, how do you breath life back into CE edition? That's about all
we have here, it seems. After getting used to HF, CE is so boring and slow...