Z getting in on Dhalism

holme...@iscsvax.uni.edu

Mar 25, 1993, 3:01:19 AM3/25/93
I normally don't play Z that often but I can SDP alright. Not great
but_alright_. I was wondering since everybody thinks that Z is so great, how
the hell do you get in on a good defensive Dhalism. If the Dhalism is good at
keeping people at bay, I think it's near impossible. I would love to hear from
those that think that Z is god, hem hem. Also to the guy that said Blanka is a
beginner to itemediate char and that if competition get tough to switch to ryu
or Z, it's all in the player. True Blanka is a good char. for unskilled players
but he can be just as deadly in the hands of a master. I'm sure that every guy
has been beat at some time or another by the characters that they think suck but
were played by skilled players. I'm sure in some places, god knows where,
Sagat, Balrog, and Honda rules.

-Brando

PS Does anyone know about the SNES programming? I'm trying to reprogram it
but I'm having trouble with the address codes.

The meek shall inherit the Earth, but they can't do a four hitter...

Crying Freeman

Mar 25, 1993, 10:59:47 AM3/25/93
holme...@iscsvax.uni.edu writes:

>I normally don't play Z that often but I can SDP alright. Not great
>but_alright_. I was wondering since everybody thinks that Z is so great, how
>the hell do you get in on a good defensive Dhalism. If the Dhalism is good at
>keeping people at bay, I think it's near impossible. I would love to hear from
>those that think that Z is god, hem hem. Also to the guy that said Blanka is a

I've seen Zangief studs beat Dhalsim NOT by getting in on Dhalsim, but
by exchanging blows.... I personally suck at Z, but certain attacks will
hit Dhalsims limbs. I think the crouching fierce hits several of Dhalsims
attacks and the roundhouse sweep will knock Dhalsim down from his "double
fist" fierce.

Still pretty rough for Zangief, though...

>beginner to itemediate char and that if competition get tough to switch to ryu
>or Z, it's all in the player. True Blanka is a good char. for unskilled players
>but he can be just as deadly in the hands of a master. I'm sure that every guy
>has been beat at some time or another by the characters that they think suck but
>were played by skilled players. I'm sure in some places, god knows where,
>Sagat, Balrog, and Honda rules.

IMO, the most "versatile" characters are Blanka, Ryu, and Honda... I think
they have the least "killer" enemies...

--
Che-Yuan Wang
cw2...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Layne A. Robinson

Mar 25, 1993, 4:59:30 PM3/25/93
holme...@iscsvax.uni.edu wrote:
: I normally don't play Z that often but I can SDP alright. Not great

: but_alright_. I was wondering since everybody thinks that Z is so great, how
: the hell do you get in on a good defensive Dhalism. If the Dhalism is good at
: keeping people at bay, I think it's near impossible. I would love to hear from
: those that think that Z is god, hem hem. Also to the guy that said Blanka is a
: beginner to itemediate char and that if competition get tough to switch to ryu
: or Z, it's all in the player. True Blanka is a good char. for unskilled players
: but he can be just as deadly in the hands of a master. I'm sure that every guy
: has been beat at some time or another by the characters that they think suck but
: were played by skilled players. I'm sure in some places, god knows where,
: Sagat, Balrog, and Honda rules.

: -Brando

I think that if you use the Unix command uncompress on Z you will unleash this
enormous amount of power that can dominate anyone.

Layne

:) :) :) :)

: PS Does anyone know about the SNES programming? I'm trying to reprogram it

Brian Odom

Mar 25, 1993, 6:02:19 PM3/25/93
In <1993Mar25.0...@iscsvax.uni.edu> holme...@iscsvax.uni.edu writes:

>I normally don't play Z that often but I can SDP alright. Not great
>but_alright_. I was wondering since everybody thinks that Z is so great, how
>the hell do you get in on a good defensive Dhalism. If the Dhalism is good at
>keeping people at bay, I think it's near impossible. I would love to hear from
>those that think that Z is god, hem hem. Also to the guy that said Blanka is a

Trust me, it's easy for a Z to get in on D, and yes, the Dhalsims here are
pretty good. All Z had to do is when the round starts, stand up and start
hitting short like mad. Then change it up. standing jab, crouching forward,
etc. If you connect with a crouching roundhouse, D falls down and you are in.
If he FB's, just spin through it or just block it. If he teleports, he is
dead, period. Teleport is BAD move for Dhalsim. It gives Z MUCH time to get
close to D.

Eu-Ming Lee

Mar 25, 1993, 11:11:50 PM3/25/93
Attack Dhalsim's limbs. I'm sure I've posted this many times before.
I've won many a battle against Dhalsim without ever getting in on him.
Zangief wins almost every trade, even short kicks and jab punches vs.
Dhalsim's fierce punches and roundhouse kicks sometimes.

Here are some things to try:
Z on the ground:
fierce punch D's standing forward
Roundhouse or short sweep D's standing/crouching fierce/strong.
Short followed by roundhouse to fake a roundhouse and lure a standing fierce.

Remember, you can roundhouse sweep some of Dhalsim's low attacks as they're
retracting if he misses.

Z jumping in on D:
Roundhouse or short when timed right and when spaced right are good trades
or clean hits.
Stretch-o-matic fierce is good if jumping in from far away over a fireball.

If you get in, do a SPD combo. Nothing is too cheap, especially in a Z vs.
D battle. You might not get in at all in three rounds, so make sure you
make it count. Besides, the fear is part of the psychological battle.

If you get ahead, there's little Dhalsim can do to you in HF. You can do
the fast spin through fireballs, or simply block if he is close enough to
hit you with a standing forward/roundhouse. If Dhalsim tries to come in,
jump in on him and attack when he gets within a good range. Otherwise, you
can just block Dhalsim's attacks if you have a decent lead. SPD him if he
gets too close. That's really all there is too it. If you play Z really
well, Dhalsim is a hopeless battle against him (REALLY!), especially in HF.

Oh, and if he does that teleport thing, just walk over there and SPD, he's
stunned momentarily.

Zangief is NOT the greatest of characters, but Dhalsim isn't one of the
characters who really gives him problems.

--
Eu-Ming Lee (aka CyberGeek) eum...@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu
Friends don't let friends use Windows.

Eu-Ming Lee

Mar 25, 1993, 11:15:04 PM3/25/93
l...@engr.LaTech.edu (Layne A. Robinson) writes:

>I think that if you use the Unix command uncompress on Z you will unleash this
>enormous amount of power that can dominate anyone.

So THAT's what's on his chest... He's compressed and all tar-ed up!

Anyone know how to type in tar -xf on the SFII game?

(Smiley's deleted for the Unix impaired)
>Layne

WEST JASON BRUCE

Mar 27, 1993, 5:48:51 PM3/27/93
In article <C4Gvz...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> bo...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Brian Odom) writes:
>Trust me, it's easy for a Z to get in on D, and yes, the Dhalsims here are
>pretty good. All Z had to do is when the round starts, stand up and start
>hitting short like mad. Then change it up. standing jab, crouching forward,
>etc. If you connect with a crouching roundhouse, D falls down and you are in.
>If he FB's, just spin through it or just block it. If he teleports, he is
>dead, period. Teleport is BAD move for Dhalsim. It gives Z MUCH time to get
>close to D.

I must disagree, as a master Dhalsim. Although D was my character of
choice on CE (and kills Z without questions), on the ol HF is decreased
priority makes him a shit character. He is no longer my "character to stay
on the machine with" - but he still beats the hell outta Z. iAnd here is
why:

* At optimum D distance:
D can hit Z is any of three levels - head,body,feet. Z needs to hit
D's appendages. Z has a 1/3 chance of getting it right, a 1/2 half chance
if Z is crouching.
D can easily knock Z out of the air to keep him at bay.
D can easily throw FBs - and hurt Z no matter what he does. If he jumps
he gets hit. If he spins he gets hit. (This is why it is called optimum
distance ;) ).

* Short Range (Z's optimum distance):
Z should NEVER ever ever get within this distance. But, if he does and
looks like he is getting ready to kick your ass (you are not in a position for
a clean counter) then TELEPORT. This is the ONLY situation in which the
teleport is useful - to get you back to optimum range. Although I would
trade the teleport for his appendage priority any day.

Ciao...

- Jason

WEST JASON BRUCE

Mar 27, 1993, 6:00:23 PM3/27/93
For those of us who wish to ignore your stupid flame wars and SNES crap
and your SFIII spottings and all the rest of it - LEAVE THE SUBJECT TITLE
THE SAME WHEN YOU RESPOND, DAMMIT!
We junk your threads so we don't need to read them - but you guys always
change the title - SFIII, SF 3, About the guy in Canada, etc! Just leave
it alone - or atleast put in (was "blah blah") after your new title.
Pathetic.

Ciao...

- Jason

BTW: I expect to see the losers who respond to this change the title to
"Hey you loser - if you can't deal with it too bad." Well, if you feel so
inclined please put a (was: xxx) after it so I can junk it - ok?

Justin C. Hogue

Mar 27, 1993, 8:40:03 PM3/27/93
..Trust me, it's easy for a Z to get in on D, and yes, the Dhalsims here are
..pretty good. All Z had to do is when the round starts, stand up and start
..hitting short like mad. Then change it up. standing jab, crouching forward,
..etc. If you connect with a crouching roundhouse, D falls down and you are in.
..If he FB's, just spin through it or just block it. If he teleports, he is
..dead, period. Teleport is BAD move for Dhalsim. It gives Z MUCH time to get
..close to D.
. I must disagree, as a master Dhalsim. Although D was my character of
.choice on CE (and kills Z without questions), on the ol HF is decreased
.priority makes him a shit character. He is no longer my "character to stay
.on the machine with" - but he still beats the hell outta Z. iAnd here is
.why:
[interesting stuff deleted]
Kinda funny how point of view changes thing. As a Z master (I think) who
has played D masters (I know) I don't find anything particualarly hard about
Dhalsim, esp. since you can trade hits all the time and come out way on top.
Don't get me wrong--these guys weren't masters because they sucked, and I did
get womped also (if Dhalsim gets Z off, a master can make it very hard to
get back in), but as far as Dhalsim being easy/hard to defeat, I don't think
it is too hard either way (BTW we don't jab-throw here either, so I miss out
on a great catch-up). SKill seems to determine victories.
--Jowfus
PS-this is in no way a flame, as the info given for D against Z was very good

Brian Odom

Mar 27, 1993, 9:36:50 PM3/27/93

> I must disagree, as a master Dhalsim. Although D was my character of
>choice on CE (and kills Z without questions), on the ol HF is decreased
>priority makes him a shit character. He is no longer my "character to stay
>on the machine with" - but he still beats the hell outta Z. iAnd here is
>why:

>* At optimum D distance:
> D can hit Z is any of three levels - head,body,feet. Z needs to hit
>D's appendages. Z has a 1/3 chance of getting it right, a 1/2 half chance
>if Z is crouching.
> D can easily knock Z out of the air to keep him at bay.
> D can easily throw FBs - and hurt Z no matter what he does. If he jumps
>he gets hit. If he spins he gets hit. (This is why it is called optimum
>distance ;) ).

Just where do you get these figures????? Z can hit Dhalsim pretty easily
from long range. If Z is played right, Dhalsim has no chance. Maybe the
Zangiefs where you are don't change up on the attacks. When at long range,
Zangief should not be sitting there roundhouse kicking hoping that he will
hit Dhalsim. No, he should be doing standing shorts (this will hit Dhalsim
just about every time; hell, even Guile can do this), crouching shorts to
crouching roundhouses to initiate an attack by Dhalsim (bye bye Dhalsim!).

Dhalsim's best defense is fireballs, but they should be used only at far range.
Don't fireball at medium range (where Z can jump over at hit you).

Dhalsim DOES NOT have priority when Z is in the air. Dhalsim has priority
only when Z is just about to jump and didn't leave the ground yet (forward
kick to the face). All Z has to do is a "hairy-chest" or "superman" whatever
you call it, the jumping fierce, but pull down on the joystick. This move
will crush any limb Dhalsim has (including slides), and allow you to get it.

>* Short Range (Z's optimum distance):

Dhalsim's only chance against Zangief is constant FB and jumping back a lot.
Yes, Z can lariat through FB, but Dhalsim can hit him with a timely fierce.
The way to get in on Dhalsim, is to jump IMMEDIATELY when Dhalsim throws his
FB. You jump in with fierce and pull down on the joystick. This will hit
every one of Dhalsims attacks except for a standing jab which will protect
Dhalsim from high attacks (e.g., Vega's eagle). Teleport and you die, so
that is out of the question. Usually Zangief isn't close enough for you to
do a standing jab, so the point is moot. Once Z has hit you, he is at
medium distance and Dhalsim must jump away.

After throwing a FB, Dhalsim should be CAREFUL. Don't just haplessly throw
a forward kick. That will get hit sooner or later. Also, when Dhalsim has
to jump back, this gives Zangief some time to inch up. Zangief must have
patience and then victory is his. Also, with Dhalsim's lack of strength,
it is very unlikely that you correctly outguess Zangief for the whole round.
Let's face it, Dhalsim can hit Zangief with about 20 blows throughout the
round and still can't kill him.

> Z should NEVER ever ever get within this distance. But, if he does and
>looks like he is getting ready to kick your ass (you are not in a position for
>a clean counter) then TELEPORT. This is the ONLY situation in which the
>teleport is useful - to get you back to optimum range. Although I would
>trade the teleport for his appendage priority any day.

Oh GOD!! How STUPID a move can you do!!! Teleport is BAD! WAY BAD!!!
Give up now. If you are in a corner and you teleport behind Zangief to get
out the corner, all Z has to do is turn around and roundhouse sweep when you
appear. Dhalsim doesn't teleport far enough away for this to be useful.
Only if the Zangief player jumps as you teleport will this be effective.
Dhalsim is very vulnerable when coming out of teleport and this move gives
Z much time to get close to you. If you are in trouble you can either leave
the game or hope for a tick. Short slide under and throw. Don't noogie,
you need to get distance.

Also, random lariats from long distance is effective.

Once in, Zangief can do the "uncounterable" tick. That's pretty standard
over here. It's usually 3-4 jabs, or 2 jabs + low forward, then SPD. The
key is to do the SPD until you are out of opponent's throw range, but still
inside SPD range. Yes, Ryu/Ken can DP, but not Dhalsim.

The key for Zangief is trade, and wait for that window of opportunity to open.
Be unpredictable with Z. After Dhalsim throws fire, don't always jump.
Block, or better yet, wait for him to forward kick THEN as forward kick is
retracting jump. This strategy proves to be quite effective.

holme...@iscsvax.uni.edu

Mar 27, 1993, 9:39:44 PM3/27/93

My fault. I forgot to mention that I'm talking about classic. I know to hit
his limbs in CE and HF, but in classic it was harder to hit his limbs. Also
it's hard to get out of his roundhouse fireball trap.

About the SNES, yes it's no HF but I wish it was out a long time ago. I was
good with about three characters before it came out but it allowed me cheap
practice with the other characters to learn their basic moves. Strategies
differ a lot but It doesn't deserve the adjectives that Seth labeled it. I
think that was why people got pissed off, not that he didn't like it. True
"peg"(?) should have added SNES to his post but chill out.

-Brando

If I had 1 wish, I would wish for all the quarters I put into SFII

Eu-Ming Lee

Mar 28, 1993, 11:48:56 AM3/28/93
holme...@iscsvax.uni.edu writes:

[41 line article of mine deleted because we're not talking about HF].

>My fault. I forgot to mention that I'm talking about classic. I know to hit
>his limbs in CE and HF, but in classic it was harder to hit his limbs. Also
>it's hard to get out of his roundhouse fireball trap.

Okay, I'm just a little miffed that you didn't say classic in the first
place, because then the answer would be simple.

On classic, there IS no discussion of Zangief getting in on Dhalsim.
He has no chance. If he DOES manage to get in, Dhalsim can noogie him
until he dies. This has been field tested until we're purple-Dhalsim-in-
the-face.