Anti-LPB server side mod - Is it possible?

Keith L

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?

I don't run a server, but I'd like to see if anyone could meet the
challenge and help even the playing field.

---------------
--- Dr.Jekill
---------------

Nightcrawler

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Keith L <"keith999"REMOVE""@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
<3506F460...@ix.netcom.com>...

>Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
>artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
>players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
>slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?
>
>I don't run a server, but I'd like to see if anyone could meet the
>challenge and help even the playing field.

Excuse me, but I don't pay for a bloody cable modem for someone to
artificially give me lag!
Quit yer goddam whinin' and deal with it!

LPB and PROUD!
Nighty [Wheee!]
:)

Chris Selby

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Surely you'd just have to make the server only recieve/send packets every
200. Then anyone below that wouldn't get a reply until 200 and anyone above
would get higher than 200 (ie what they should get).
I think this is a good way to create a neitral server - IF - you can alter
it so lpbs in your clan are equal, hpbs are equale and everyone else is in
between.

Keith L <"keith999"REMOVE""@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
<3506F460...@ix.netcom.com>...
>Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
>artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
>players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
>slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?
>
>I don't run a server, but I'd like to see if anyone could meet the
>challenge and help even the playing field.
>

>---------------
>--- Dr.Jekill
>---------------

Ryan

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Nightcrawler wrote:

> Keith L <"keith999"REMOVE""@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> <3506F460...@ix.netcom.com>...
> >Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
> >artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
> >players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
> >slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?
> >
> >I don't run a server, but I'd like to see if anyone could meet the
> >challenge and help even the playing field.
>
> Excuse me, but I don't pay for a bloody cable modem for someone to
> artificially give me lag!
> Quit yer goddam whinin' and deal with it!
>
> LPB and PROUD!
> Nighty [Wheee!]
> :)

realy...i get like 200 - 250 ping....sometimes 300...but i just play the
game cuz its fun......the Low ping guys...let them have there
speed..thats great...i want a cable modem too someday..or a ISDN...
but it really is a argument that will never be done unless everyone has
a fast modem....
just dont descriminate agianst people who are less or more fortunate.

Sigil

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

I think you're making the assumption that Quake 2 automatically sends out a
packet to each player every 200 ms, which isn't the case. The 200 ms refers
strictly to the amount of time it takes some random packet to get from the
client to the server. (Shoot. Or is it vice-versa? I haven't screwed with
the network code at all.) If I arbitrarily set the rate at which the server
sends out packets, that doesn't mean that they're going to get to their
destination any faster: it just means that everyone will have a really
choppy game.

The Eraser Bot contains a "lag simulator" which makes it seem like you're
playing on a laggy server when you're actually playing locally, but if I'm
not mistaken, it does so by caching your keystrokes, not by actually caching
packets (since you don't need to send any). In fact, I don't know how much
of the networking code is part of the freely available codebase.

The way I see it, even if all the stuff you need is in the source
distribution, you still have the problem that occasionally, Quake 2's pings
are really inaccurate. For example, lets say that I'm playing at a rate
that's hovering around 200 ms, dipping down as far as 180 and jumping up as
high as 220 (a 40 ms distribution is pretty reasonable). If I hit 180, are
you going to cache my stuff for 20 ms, then send it out? It's kind of a pain
in the ass to get that precise with the code: the computer may want to be
doing something else in those 20 ms and not get back to me. Worse, my ping
could jump back up again, in which case I now have a ping of (effectively)
240. You could get around this, I suppose, by keeping a running average of
the ping times, but yeesh. What a hassle.

In theory, it's a good idea to be able to level the playing field, but I'm
pretty sure that this particular method isn't gonna yield any results.

Sigil

Chris Selby wrote in message <6e757g$g8i$1...@morse.news.easynet.net>...

>Surely you'd just have to make the server only recieve/send packets every
>200. Then anyone below that wouldn't get a reply until 200 and anyone above
>would get higher than 200 (ie what they should get).
>I think this is a good way to create a neitral server - IF - you can alter
>it so lpbs in your clan are equal, hpbs are equale and everyone else is in
>between.

>Keith L <"keith999"REMOVE""@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
><3506F460...@ix.netcom.com>...
>>Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
>>artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
>>players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
>>slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?
>>
>>I don't run a server, but I'd like to see if anyone could meet the
>>challenge and help even the playing field.
>>

>>---------------
>>--- Dr.Jekill
>>---------------

John J Smith

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In article <6e6ulg$kr$1...@news.on>,

Nightcrawler <tha...@NOSPAM.rogers.wave.ca> wrote:

>Keith L <"keith999"REMOVE""@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
><3506F460...@ix.netcom.com>...
>>Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
>>artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
>>players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
>>slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?
>>
>>I don't run a server, but I'd like to see if anyone could meet the
>>challenge and help even the playing field.
>
>Excuse me, but I don't pay for a bloody cable modem for someone to
>artificially give me lag!
>Quit yer goddam whinin' and deal with it!

Sounds like this is someone who'll be easy meat at a high-ping.

Smid

rjdriver

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Whining?

Would you say someone was whining if they complained when they saw
another player attempting to stack the deck in a poker game?

Are they whining when they disqualify an Olympic competitor for using
steroids?

Are they whining when they throw someone in jail for stuffing a ballot
box in an election?

You can be as proud as you want of your LPB status. But not everyone
has access to or can afford a cable modem, t1, t3, ISDN, ASDL, etc., and
while "cheating" may be too strong a word to describe it, the end results
are the same.

People who want to level the playing field for Internet gaming should
be applauded not criticized.

--
Bob
http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/quake.htm

Ryan <ry...@indianvalley.com> wrote in article
<350722...@indianvalley.com>...

> > Excuse me, but I don't pay for a bloody cable modem for someone to
> > artificially give me lag!
> > Quit yer goddam whinin' and deal with it!

Dave Gates

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Why are "low ping bastards" bastards? I've never understood this term.

Didn't id Software go out of their way to somehow level the playing
field, so that people whose connection wasn't as good could compete
against others? I heard they did it first with QuakeWorld and that now
it's standard with Quake II.

How does this work?

Personally, I dial in on a 28.8 modem, run GameSpy and pick one of the
three or four servers with the best ping time. Still, that's usually
about 300. Doesn't this mean the server is giving me some kind of
advantage over the LPBs?

--
Dave Gates
dave...@davegates.com

Brian Trosko

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

rjdriver <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote:
: Are they whining when they disqualify an Olympic competitor for using
: steroids?

No. But if a competitor from the US can afford better skis than a
competitor from Ghana, would you really consider that an unfair advantage?

: You can be as proud as you want of your LPB status. But not everyone

: has access to or can afford a cable modem, t1, t3, ISDN, ASDL, etc., and
: while "cheating" may be too strong a word to describe it, the end results
: are the same.

Waaah. Suck it up, wimpmeat. There are plenty of HPBs who can frag LPBs
almost at will. Crying about "leveling the playing field" just because
you're not good enough to compete is like weighing three hundred pounds
and wanting the other competitors in the 100-yard dash to have their legs
broken.

Matt

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

You tell 'em!!

I have been researching the possibility of a server-side mod against
LPB's... but it wouldn't cripple the LPB, it would just make the modem
player stronger and more resistant... also I was thinking a great idea
would be to give lagged-out players the pent until their pings can get
back down from outerspace...

Unfortunately, I have it from the horse's mouth that the user's ping isn't
accessible via the game.dll source code... arrgh... so we need to figure
out another way to pinpoint LPB's...

the LPB must not be allowed to think they are actually better at Quake2
than the modem player... some of them are good.. some of them just plain
suck but win anyway... hehe...

--Matt (Anti-LPB until I am one hehe)

In alt.games.quake2 rjdriver <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Whining?

> Would you say someone was whining if they complained when they saw
> another player attempting to stack the deck in a poker game?

> Are they whining when they disqualify an Olympic competitor for using
> steroids?

> Are they whining when they throw someone in jail for stuffing a ballot
> box in an election?

> You can be as proud as you want of your LPB status. But not everyone

> has access to or can afford a cable modem, t1, t3, ISDN, ASDL, etc., and
> while "cheating" may be too strong a word to describe it, the end results
> are the same.

> People who want to level the playing field for Internet gaming should

> be applauded not criticized.
>
> --
> Bob
> http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/quake.htm

> Ryan <ry...@indianvalley.com> wrote in article
> <350722...@indianvalley.com>...

> > > Excuse me, but I don't pay for a bloody cable modem for someone to
> > > artificially give me lag!
> > > Quit yer goddam whinin' and deal with it!

Matt

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In alt.games.quake2 Chris Selby <Chris*Se...@rock.com> wrote:
> Surely you'd just have to make the server only recieve/send packets every
> 200. Then anyone below that wouldn't get a reply until 200 and anyone above
> would get higher than 200 (ie what they should get).
> I think this is a good way to create a neitral server - IF - you can alter
> it so lpbs in your clan are equal, hpbs are equale and everyone else is in
> between.

If I had a stupid-fast connect to the 'net and someone wanted to limit my
ping.. I wouldn't like that. Eventually I plan on getting something
faster.

Anyone who has ever been railed by an LPB _knows_ they usually are not
that good. They just have it easy because you're a sitting duck with your
high ping. I say we just need to beef up the HPB's...

How many times has an LPB shot a rocket at me and I've easily dodged it..
only to be hit in a head-on collision because my ping was too low?
Arrgh...

How many times has an LPB grabbed the haste-rune, and hyperblasted me into
oblivion? My ping goes through the roof...

Joel Baxter

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In article <6e9iph$r1p$1...@news.xmission.com>,
Matt <redf...@xmission.xmission.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

>Unfortunately, I have it from the horse's mouth that the user's ping isn't
>accessible via the game.dll source code... arrgh... so we need to figure
>out another way to pinpoint LPB's...

[ snip ]

Must be one dumb horse. (No offense to the equine in question.)

Wonder what that "ping" field in the gclient_s structure is?

--
Joel Baxter jba...@lemur.stanford.edu http://lemur.stanford.edu/~jbaxter/

fiend

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

I frequently beat LPBs (my ping is between 175-225 or so) but it is
tough to beat one that is really good.

You just have to use different strategies. Don't get into a
trigger-fest with a LPB or you will lose. Manuever around and try
to get behind them. If you are stuck crouching on the floor, you
are gonna get fragged.

LPBs shouldn't be penalized for having a better correction any
more than I should be penalized for having a Pentium II with
a Riva board (800x600 with 28FPS!).

LPBs can suck just as much as anyone else and it is always fun
to finish a DM with more frags. Be the best you can be with
your ping. Of course, if you are a LPB, you have no excuse not
to finish at least in the top three...unless there are three
other LPBs...8-)

fiend

John Bye

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Dave Gates wrote

No relation i hope... ;-)

>Why are "low ping bastards" bastards? I've never understood this
>term.

People call them that because their better connections reduce the lag
they experience in a game. When most of us are wading around at 2fps after
someone let rip with a hyperblaster, the LPBs are still running around
merrily.

Personally I don't mind too much. It pisses me off when my connection
freezes up, but that's no reason to hate people lucky enough to have a
really good connection...

>Didn't id Software go out of their way to somehow level the playing
>field, so that people whose connection wasn't as good could
>compete against others? I heard they did it first with QuakeWorld
>and that now it's standard with Quake II.
>How does this work?

It doesn't really. I'm not sure quite what you mean by this... There's
some movement prediction that lets you keep going for a bit when the
connection slows, but it doesn't last long and often everything seems to
jerk around and you often can't even tell where you are.

I remember once when my connection failed I ran into a lift. Then when
the connection came back a moment later I wasn't in the lift, I was back in
the room again... The base areas in Capture Showdown are the worst for that
kind of thing.

>Personally, I dial in on a 28.8 modem, run GameSpy and pick one of
>the three or four servers with the best ping time. Still, that's usually
>about 300. Doesn't this mean the server is giving me some kind of
>advantage over the LPBs?

No, it just means its taking 0.3 seconds for your data to go to the
server and back...

>>>Excuse me, but I don't pay for a bloody cable modem for
>>>someone to artificially give me lag!
>>>Quit yer goddam whinin' and deal with it!

>> Sounds like this is someone who'll be easy meat at a high-ping.

A bad connection doesn't make you a good player, or vice versa. A good
connection sure helps, but when it comes down to it a bad player is always
bad regardless of if his ping is 50 or 500...

Just MHO...

John

The Coven - http://www.planetquake.com/TheCoven
The Deathmatch Database -
http://www.planetquake.com/TheCoven/death

Anders

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In article <35080C02...@davegates.com>
Dave Gates <dave...@davegates.com> wrote:

> Why are "low ping bastards" bastards? I've never understood this term.

Just because they can afford a line,the bastards... ;)
It's probably because in the days when Quake came,ISDN and everything
was VERY expensive so everyone with a modem was very handicapped.

> Didn't id Software go out of their way to somehow level the playing
> field, so that people whose connection wasn't as good could compete
> against others? I heard they did it first with QuakeWorld and that now
> it's standard with Quake II.
>
> How does this work?

I'm no expert,but it lets the server think a little in advance what'll happen
next and calculates what it thinks everyone will do.....plus you can use
your own PC to calcualte a bit as well....if I'm completely wrong somebody
will hopefully fill in with the right answers.
Plus it also uses the delta compression which speeds up the datatransfer
a bit.

> Personally, I dial in on a 28.8 modem, run GameSpy and pick one of the
> three or four servers with the best ping time. Still, that's usually
> about 300. Doesn't this mean the server is giving me some kind of
> advantage over the LPBs?

Nope,it gives you no advantage over a LPB,it just gives you the
feeling of a better connection,but a fast connection's still better.
Happy fraggin'
RiotSquad

Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow.
/ Jeffrey Combs playing Herbert West in Re-Animator
Remove theweb. to reply by e-mail.

mr. freedom X

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

I thought that ping time constantly changes with the state of the net. If I
use WS-FTP utilities to ping an address, and get a high number, then use
TraceRoute to see how many servers relay the ping; I generally find that
there is a problem in the route of the ping (timeout somewhere along the way
which forces a re-route).

LPB is more a luck of the draw thing..unless they're rich and have a
personal T1 <g>.

later,
gordon

Gryphon wrote ...
>Because, some them are " bastards ".
>Some however are not.

Brian

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Dave Gates wrote:

> Why are "low ping bastards" bastards? I've never understood this term.
>
> Didn't id Software go out of their way to somehow level the playing
> field, so that people whose connection wasn't as good could compete
> against others? I heard they did it first with QuakeWorld and that now
> it's standard with Quake II.
>
> How does this work?
>
> Personally, I dial in on a 28.8 modem, run GameSpy and pick one of the
> three or four servers with the best ping time. Still, that's usually
> about 300. Doesn't this mean the server is giving me some kind of
> advantage over the LPBs?

Hehehe... Not at all. It means that if they see you, you'll see them
.3 seconds later. Not a good thing, in my opinion.

Still, I love playing LPBs... Any that aren't good, I can beat depite
their low pings. If they are good enough to beat me, then usually
they're DAMN good (after all, they have a cable modem... If I had one
I'd play twice as much as I do now). So, if I win against some guy on
console, it's cool. If I lose, of course it's becasue he's on console.

Gryphon

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Because, some them are " bastards ".
Some however are not.

Dave Gates <dave...@davegates.com> wrote:

>Why are "low ping bastards" bastards? I've never understood this term.

>Didn't id Software go out of their way to somehow level the playing
>field, so that people whose connection wasn't as good could compete
>against others? I heard they did it first with QuakeWorld and that now
>it's standard with Quake II.

>How does this work?

>Personally, I dial in on a 28.8 modem, run GameSpy and pick one of the
>three or four servers with the best ping time. Still, that's usually
>about 300. Doesn't this mean the server is giving me some kind of
>advantage over the LPBs?

>> >Excuse me, but I don't pay for a bloody cable modem for someone to
>> >artificially give me lag!
>> >Quit yer goddam whinin' and deal with it!
>>
>> Sounds like this is someone who'll be easy meat at a high-ping.

Weasel

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

> If I had a stupid-fast connect to the 'net and someone wanted to limit my
> ping.. I wouldn't like that. Eventually I plan on getting something
> faster.
>
> Anyone who has ever been railed by an LPB _knows_ they usually are not
> that good. They just have it easy because you're a sitting duck with your
> high ping. I say we just need to beef up the HPB's...
>
> How many times has an LPB shot a rocket at me and I've easily dodged it..
> only to be hit in a head-on collision because my ping was too low?
> Arrgh...
>
> How many times has an LPB grabbed the haste-rune, and hyperblasted me into
> oblivion? My ping goes through the roof...

While I sympathize with your frustration at having a high ping, don't
be so foolish as to lump all LPB's in a group of no-talent twits with
nice hardware. As a LPB myself, I tend to DM with others with pings in
the 10-100 range... if someone with a considerably higher ping enters,
we all don't jump on the poor sucker, nor do we pounce on 'em after they
get fragged, knowing they have only the blaster. I've played on a
dial-up connection and have gotten my a$$ fragged enough by leering
idiots with pings of 0-10 often enough. The bad part isn't getting
knocked off, but having them taunt with "you suck!" etc when they sit
back and soak up armour and health. Now with a cable modem, I don't
abuse the resources I have (ie: sniping endlessly near armour shards),
but instead actively avoid picking up too much as to offset the speed
difference. If servers started imposing a delay on my connection for
being too fast, well... needless to say I wouldn't stay on it. If
players are feeling *that* insecure about playing on servers, get some
people together and play locally. Leave the internet games to those who
won't ruin it by whining excessively.
weasel@<SPAM ME AND DIE SCREAMING>rogers.wave.ca

Ben

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

< A bad connection doesn't make you a good player, or vice versa. <A good
<connection sure helps, but when it comes down to it a bad player is <always
<bad regardless of if his ping is 50 or 500...
<
< Just MHO...
<
< John
<

i agree with you on that one.

T Bomhower

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

In article <35080C02...@davegates.com>,
dave...@davegates.com says...

> Why are "low ping bastards" bastards? I've never understood this term.
>
> Didn't id Software go out of their way to somehow level the playing
> field, so that people whose connection wasn't as good could compete
> against others? I heard they did it first with QuakeWorld and that now
> it's standard with Quake II.
>
> How does this work?
>
> Personally, I dial in on a 28.8 modem, run GameSpy and pick one of the
> three or four servers with the best ping time. Still, that's usually
> about 300. Doesn't this mean the server is giving me some kind of
> advantage over the LPBs?

It's a generational/money thing.

Regardless of what they like to suggest on tv to keep the target
audience watching their channel, statistical reports show that
most internet hours are logged by adults from workplaces, where
they are likely to have high speed T1 or T3 phone lines and may
be allowed to play net games using them, after hours. But in the
publicly accessible [non-scientific] usenet news groups portion
of the net, most posts are apparently from semi-literate
children posting from home or school, where until recently, with
the advent of cable modems and xDSL phone lines, connections
were by slow dial-up modems. And not a hope in hell of talking
their parents springing for whatever a T1 or T3 phone line costs
per month.

So it became one of those lowest common denominator, afternoon
talk show "women good/men bad" meta-games. Only in the case of
the LPB argument it was "all the children who disproportionately
frequent usenet news groups and can't talk their parents into
leasing a T1 line good/adults playing with low ping from work
bad".

--
copyright 1998, T Bomhower

Craig Fletcher

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Hey I got a simple solution. Upgrade your lousy hardware. With
all the effort you put into finding ways to fuck over LPBs you
could get a second job and buy Cable/ISDN?

We LPBs are truly bored with wall humping High Ping Whiners. I
would like nothing more than to have someone who can kill me.
Focus on upgrading yourself rather thandowngrading everyone
else. Your idea is up there with communism. It is not fair
for people to be rich so take everyone down a notch. We know
the end result of that mentality.

Matt <redf...@xmission.xmission.com> wrote in article
<6e9iph$r1p$1...@news.xmission.com>...

> You tell 'em!!
>
> I have been researching the possibility of a server-side mod
against
> LPB's... but it wouldn't cripple the LPB, it would just make
the modem
> player stronger and more resistant... also I was thinking a
great idea
> would be to give lagged-out players the pent until their pings
can get
> back down from outerspace...
>

> Unfortunately, I have it from the horse's mouth that the
user's ping isn't
> accessible via the game.dll source code... arrgh... so we need
to figure
> out another way to pinpoint LPB's...

Nightcrawler

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

> While I sympathize with your frustration at having a high ping, don't
>be so foolish as to lump all LPB's in a group of no-talent twits with
>nice hardware. As a LPB myself, I tend to DM with others with pings in
>the 10-100 range... if someone with a considerably higher ping enters,
>we all don't jump on the poor sucker, nor do we pounce on 'em after they
>get fragged, knowing they have only the blaster. I've played on a
>dial-up connection and have gotten my a$$ fragged enough by leering
>idiots with pings of 0-10 often enough. The bad part isn't getting
>knocked off, but having them taunt with "you suck!" etc when they sit
>back and soak up armour and health. Now with a cable modem, I don't
>abuse the resources I have (ie: sniping endlessly near armour shards),
>but instead actively avoid picking up too much as to offset the speed
>difference. If servers started imposing a delay on my connection for
>being too fast, well... needless to say I wouldn't stay on it. If
>players are feeling *that* insecure about playing on servers, get some
>people together and play locally. Leave the internet games to those who
>won't ruin it by whining excessively.

Those would be HPW's - High Ping Whiners :)

What they don't realize, is that even we LPB's get lag too from time to
time...
Some servers are just slow.

Weasel

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

rjdriver wrote:

> Whining?
>
> Would you say someone was whining if they complained when they saw
> another player attempting to stack the deck in a poker game?
>
> Are they whining when they disqualify an Olympic competitor for using
> steroids?
>
> Are they whining when they throw someone in jail for stuffing a ballot
> box in an election?

The examples above are illegal acts, contrary to the established rules
of the sport/event. Are you trying to say that somewhere in Quake2 there
is an actual rule that states "all players with high pings are to be
ignored when they fire at you"?

> You can be as proud as you want of your LPB status. But not everyone
> has access to or can afford a cable modem, t1, t3, ISDN, ASDL, etc., and
> while "cheating" may be too strong a word to describe it, the end results
> are the same.

No, they are not the same. Physical distance from the server also plays
a major factor in your ping... so, according to you, anyone in
California should not play on a server in California for the simple
reason that they might have a slight advantage on you. This is labeled
"whining".

> People who want to level the playing field for Internet gaming should
> be applauded not criticized.

Applaud all you want, but do not insult others by stating they are
cheating simply because they do not have a higher response time to the
server. Hell, I rarely use a mouse when I play... does this mean I
should start complaining about how other players can aim better because
they do?

It's a GAME, people...

rjdriver

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Brian Trosko <btr...@primenet.com> wrote in article
<6e9gps$j...@nntp02.primenet.com>...

>> But if a competitor from the US can afford better skis than a
>> competitor from Ghana, would you really consider that an unfair
advantage?

Absolutely. Maybe not a huge advantage, but unfair -- you bet. And
something the Olympics should be striving for is standardized equipment for
all events.

>>Waaah. Suck it up, wimpmeat. There are plenty of HPBs who can frag LPBs
> >almost at will. Crying about "leveling the playing field" just because
> >you're not good enough to compete is like weighing three hundred pounds
> >and wanting the other competitors in the 100-yard dash to have their
legs
> >broken.

"Wimpmeat?" That's a good one. So you automatically assume that
because I'm looking to level the playing field I must be frag bait? That's
a real good argument.
All good High Pingers have beaten their share of LPB's who didn't
have the skill to match their ping. And it helps make up for the times we
get our butts kicked by the good LPBs. But it doesn't help the whole
situation.

--
Bob
http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/quake.htm

Roscoe A. Sincero

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Dave Gates wrote:

> Why are "low ping bastards" bastards? I've never understood this term.

There are called bastards because quite a few of them (not all of them
obviously but in these newsgroups I have to mention the obvious) deliberately
find servers in which they have the lowest or one of the lowest ping. In
addition, many of these "bastards" believe that their "kills" were based on
skill and not on the obvious advantage that they have. These claims are
usually made by people who want to spread a bogus belief that skill matters
more than ping (i.e. they are lying). In quake 1 and QuakeWorld, ping does
matter a lot but in Quake 2, it matters even more since the weapons require
that you aim better. The annoying part is not that they have an advantage.
They are bastards because they like to go around telling everyone how good
they are. One should not go around telling people that you are good when you
know that you had an advantage over the opponents. I can be playing Thresh,
one of the best players in the world. If his ping is 8000 (or "only" 800)
and mine is 75, I am pretty sure I will be winning 20 to zero in a 20 minutes
frag fast. Many people here can make the same claim. No matter how good the
player is, his skill level does him no good if his character in the game is
basically a "statue". I have killed players on the net whose pings were
around 700, 800, and even 1000 using only my axe and they had a nailgun. (My
ping was 300~400). I killed these players because they were basically
statues.

One of the common tactics is to discuss the abilities of a bad player then
claim that skill matters more ping. Red flags should pop up. This is
deceptive. When one compares a low pinger and a high pinger, one is
comparing two equally skilled player, not one bad player vs. a good player.
It should be obvious that in general a bad player will not do as well as a
good player.

As an example, my brother used to beat me hands down in Quake 1. When the
playing field was more leveled (e.g. pings were similar), I beat him 11-0,
13-0 and scores like that in Quake 1. When I also switched to playing on the
server (instead of him playing on the server) he used to complain that he
didn't see me when I killed him with the rl. He would say that I would see
him first before he sees me. This was in addition to me being able to fire
my weapon sooner than him. Ping does matter contrary to popular belief.

Then there is the area of movement. Have you ever watched a player with
lower ping move around the level? I watched my brother play on the net
against a low pinger (around 75-120 ping or something around there). My
brother's would hover around 300~400. The low pinger wasn't playing
"seriously"; he was toying with my brother. The low pinger would
deliberately try to run away knowing that my brother can not catch up to the
guy. On a straight-ahead run, there's no advantage but if the route requires
going around corners, jumping over gaps, etc., the low pinger has such a
great advantage. In QW and Quake2, the jumping over gaps advantage appear to
have been removed--you no longer miss the jump. I also think that the around
the corners advantage was also removed. This is where the so-called
"client-prediction" comes in handy. The low pinger can still see you before
you see him, the low pinger can still fire the weapon sooner, etc., etc.,
etc. but his advantage in jumping over gaps and running around corners appear
to be gone. (I'm assuming that the connection for the high pinger is
stable.)

> Didn't id Software go out of their way to somehow level the playing
> field, so that people whose connection wasn't as good could compete
> against others? I heard they did it first with QuakeWorld and that now
> it's standard with Quake II.
>
> How does this work?

The playing field is NOT leveled. What id did is make it appear that lag is
not present but it is still there. It allows people to accomodate the lag
better (i.e.. play the game better with the lag) but the lag is still
there. Lag is not reduced contrary to popular belief.

> Personally, I dial in on a 28.8 modem, run GameSpy and pick one of the
> three or four servers with the best ping time. Still, that's usually
> about 300. Doesn't this mean the server is giving me some kind of
> advantage over the LPBs?

No. The lower the number, the better it is. 300 means that it takes 0.3
seconds for information to travel from your computer to the server, then back
to your computer. This, then, is the "reaction time", the "lag". Low pings
have better ("lower") reaction times ("less lag than you") because of their
low ping.

--
later,
legion

Doug J Abbott

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Brian Trosko wrote in message <6e9gps$j...@nntp02.primenet.com>...
>rjdriver <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>: Are they whining when they disqualify an Olympic competitor for
using
>: steroids?
>
>No. But if a competitor from the US can afford better skis than a

>competitor from Ghana, would you really consider that an unfair advantage?

If you want to see who is the better skier, then yes, it is unfair. If you
are just interested in medals, then no, it isn't.

>: You can be as proud as you want of your LPB status. But not

everyone
>: has access to or can afford a cable modem, t1, t3, ISDN, ASDL, etc., and
>: while "cheating" may be too strong a word to describe it, the end results
>: are the same.
>

>Waaah. Suck it up, wimpmeat. There are plenty of HPBs who can frag LPBs
>almost at will. Crying about "leveling the playing field" just because
>you're not good enough to compete is like weighing three hundred pounds
>and wanting the other competitors in the 100-yard dash to have their legs
>broken.

If a wanker in a Porsche gets his kicks from beating trucks away from the
lights, then whoop-de-doo. Put him against someone who also has a Porsche,
and he'll probably complain of migraine, and go home to bed early.

Would the bomb man on Enola Gay say he was a better, more skillful soldier
than the people on the ground? Yes, if you are just interested in frag
counts...

(OK, so the people on the ground were largely civilian - if you have to take
issue with that analogy, then you are missing the point COMPLETELY, and you
ain't worth the steam off my piss :-)

There are enough servers out there, people - find one that has a better
balance, and THEN worry about whether you are "good enough to compete"...

@whitman.edu Dan Moran

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Keith L <"keith999"REMOVE""@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
<3506F460...@ix.netcom.com>...

>Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
>artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
>players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
>slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?

Is this technically possible, anyone?

Dan
morandd @ whitman .edu
www.whitman.edu/~morandd

Ben

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

thats funny cuase i have had 500 ping before and kicked a guys ass that had
100 ping. it is skill that maters not ping. so get your facts straight. i
beat a lot of people on my dads computer. he usually has around 400-500
ping and im continuously on the top. so i am a symbol that proves you
wrong.

ben

Ben

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

a t1 line costs $5000 a month in grand rapids, MI

Verbal Kint

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Another thought that has not been brought up is the idea that money is not
always there for LPBs. I worked my ass off in high school so that I could
get a scholarship to a really good college. I have to live in the dorms
(and eat dorm food... God help me) but our school is on a dedicated T3
server. All of the HPW out there complaining about rich people should not
make huge generalizations about the rich LPBs with their private T3s. I
enjoy playing a game or two of Quake 2 on study breaks, and I am damn good.
I know there are players better than me, but when I am at a server with 6
LPBs on it and I am winning DM by 15 frags, I at least know I have some
skills.

I like a previous idea that has yet to be mentioned. An Anti-Whining mod.
Now that would be cool:

"Camper"
Player was killed for whining

"BFG hog!"
Player was killed for whining

"Friggin LBP, you would suck on dialup"
Player was killed for whining

One last thing, people: remember this is a game! Don't make quake your
life...
Let the flaming begin
Verbal Kint of the University of Washington

@whitman.edu Dan Moran

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Brian Trosko

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Doug J Abbott <nos...@lfs.co.uk> wrote:

: If a wanker in a Porsche gets his kicks from beating trucks away from the

: lights, then whoop-de-doo. Put him against someone who also has a Porsche,
: and he'll probably complain of migraine, and go home to bed early.

Actually, not a chance. There's precious little sense of victory in
beating a crippled opponent, and the type of people who race their cars do
so against comparable vehicles. A Porsche owner who beats a truck from a
stop hasn't achieved much, but one who beats another Porsche has. This is
also the reason why professional ballplayers compete against other
professional ballplayers, and not against little leaguers.

But it's interesting that you brought up driving, as that happens to be
something I'm quite good at. Your analogy is flawed, as it is one in
which the contest relies solely on speed, which is not the case in
QuakeII. Let me recount a story that applies a bit better as an analogy.

Back when I lived in Phoenix, I was stopped at a light next to a gent in
an upscale Mercedes who communicated his desire to race. I was driving an
'82 Supra with almost 200,000 miles on it; his car was faster, better
handling, and probably better braking. I was at a profound disadvantage,
but I went ahead with it anyway. The road we were entering was the
Pointe Parkway, a tight and very curvy stretch of road. He beat me off
the line, but I won nevertheless. Why? Because he apparently couldn't
control his car very well, or didn't trust it, or didn't trust his
ability. I smoked him in the curves, first passing him as he slowed down
to take one for reasons I know not, and then holding better lines through
them the rest of the way down the road.

Did I first whine that his car was too fast? That he should install an
engine governor to limit his speed? That things weren't fair?
No. I sucked it up and won anyway. Gratned, we weren't racing for pink
slips, and things might have been different if something was on the line,
but it wasn't, just like there's nothing on the line in Quake.

: There are enough servers out there, people - find one that has a better

: balance, and THEN worry about whether you are "good enough to compete"...

Exactly.

Nightcrawler

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

>"Camper"
>Player was killed for whining
>
>"BFG hog!"
>Player was killed for whining
>
>"Friggin LBP, you would suck on dialup"
>Player was killed for whining

Preach on, Brother Kint!

- Brother Nighty - Church of LPB

Brian Trosko

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

rjdriver <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote:
: All good High Pingers have beaten their share of LPB's who didn't

: have the skill to match their ping. And it helps make up for the times we
: get our butts kicked by the good LPBs. But it doesn't help the whole
: situation.

Well, shucks, if it's fairness you're interested in, why stop with
hobbling ping times?

For one thing, a good frame rate makes things easier than when things are
chopping to hell and gone 'cause there's too much stuff on the screen.
Obviously all those people who have 4mb Voodoo cards have an unfair
advantage over us schleps with mere v1100 Renditions. In the interest of
leveling the playing field, why not a server mod that cripples 3d
acceleration?

Location also has a lot to do with ping time. Since those playing
geographically close to the server have an advantage, why not a server mod
that lookups incoming IPs and disconnects anyone who's too close to the
server?

Even in the game itself, there's lots of stuff that's unfair. If you've
got a blaster pistol, it's hardly fair for me to be calling BFG fire down
on your noggin. So let's get a server mod that disconnects anyone who
uses a better weapon than anyone else currently has. That'll fair things
out a bit.

And, of course, let's not forget the unfairness that comes from a
disparity of skill. To continue the olympic analogy, the USA basketball
Dream Team was hardly a demonstration in fairness. Let's kick anyone
who's got more than 10 frags more than anyone else off the server.

With all these things in place, QuakeII will be totally, utterly,
interminably *fair*. The playing field will be leveled. That is what you
want, right?

Venom

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

"Nightcrawler" <tha...@NOSPAM.rogers.wave.ca> wrote:

Well here in Belgium, where I live, 95% of the Quakers are still
using a regular modem to play Quake over the net.
So when 1 of the remaining 5% show up with his cable modem, we don't
whine but we all disconnect and move on to another server... so the
"mighty" LPB can play all alone against himself.
If he dares to follow us to the next server, we all team up against
him and have a good laugh...

Venom.(In Belgium it's not CTF but KTD(Kill The Dutch))

rjdriver

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Brian Trosko <btr...@primenet.com> wrote in article

<6ebv2t$r...@nntp02.primenet.com>...

What a ridiculous overreaction to a simple request that some
severs offer a level playing field where ping is concerned.

Whether you got your fast connection through luck or your hard
earned money, it must be really upsetting to see someone suggest that
advantage be taken away.

Bob

Eek

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Not every low LPBer has T3 of cable modem connections. There are also people
local playing on THEIR server or LAN connected workstation. I often play CTF
on
a server nearby. My ping is mostly around the 200 as most of the players.
But
sometimes there are a few LPB dudes. I am sure they are on the same lan as
the
quake server, because you see their ping vary from 12 to max. 70 with an
average
of 20. The only way to beat those guys is lots of moving and lots of luck.

Last week in CTF there were 4 of them and they joined the blue team. I was
in the
red team and most reds disconnected after a while because of no change. One
red
player went joining the blue team ! The Loser...

Finally their were only two man in the red team against 6 in the blue with 4
LPBs !
We really had no change at all and they start sending msg "this is to easy"
and that
kind of bullshit. But no one, had balls enough to console type "join red" so
disconnected from the suckerz. Hope they feel great about themselves :(

Eek.
Verbal Kint wrote in message <6ebst8$cpe$1...@nntp1.u.washington.edu>...

>Another thought that has not been brought up is the idea that money is not
>always there for LPBs. I worked my ass off in high school so that I could
>get a scholarship to a really good college. I have to live in the dorms
>(and eat dorm food... God help me) but our school is on a dedicated T3
>server. All of the HPW out there complaining about rich people should not
>make huge generalizations about the rich LPBs with their private T3s. I
>enjoy playing a game or two of Quake 2 on study breaks, and I am damn good.
>I know there are players better than me, but when I am at a server with 6
>LPBs on it and I am winning DM by 15 frags, I at least know I have some
>skills.
>
>I like a previous idea that has yet to be mentioned. An Anti-Whining mod.
>Now that would be cool:
>

>"Camper"
>Player was killed for whining
>
>"BFG hog!"
>Player was killed for whining
>
>"Friggin LBP, you would suck on dialup"
>Player was killed for whining

chip

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98
to Keith L

Hmmm.
I think people would like that about as much as adjusting admission
test scores for particular social groups. No one likes it (except
for the few who benefit).

Maybe if certain servers were 'medium ping' or 'high ping' only
and excluded connects under a certain ping value. LPB's are
defined as 'pinging less than me', so several ranges might be
needed.
If low pings were excluded from certain servers, it might keep
them playing with their 'own kind'. Sort of like weight classes
in wrestling.

Any comments?

Keith L wrote:

> Is it possible to have a server side modification that would
> artificially raise the ping time of LPB's to equalize with other
> players? Say like, anyone under 200ms would have the server response
> slowed so that they were playing at rate of 200ms? If so how?
>

> I don't run a server, but I'd like to see if anyone could meet the
> challenge and help even the playing field.
>

> ---------------
> --- Dr.Jekill
> ---------------

Brian Trosko

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

rjdriver <rjdr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Whether you got your fast connection through luck or your hard

: earned money, it must be really upsetting to see someone suggest that
: advantage be taken away.

:

Actually, pudmuffin, my pings typically hover in the 150-200ms range.
From school, I'll occasionally dip down as low as 50, but that's rare.

Just can't stand not being as good as some of us, huh?

Hell Hound

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

yeah. I get most pingtimes as 150-350. abou 150-400 is what I see most ppl
getting. doing a mod like that would be nice because you wouldn't have to
worry about those t-3 players...

chip wrote:

--
[B.S.B.]Hell Hound -aod-
ICQ#8878412

Matt

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

In alt.games.quake2 Weasel <n...@home.com> wrote:
> be so foolish as to lump all LPB's in a group of no-talent twits with
> nice hardware. As a LPB myself, I tend to DM with others with pings in

Good point...

> the 10-100 range... if someone with a considerably higher ping enters,
> we all don't jump on the poor sucker, nor do we pounce on 'em after they
> get fragged, knowing they have only the blaster. I've played on a
> dial-up connection and have gotten my a$$ fragged enough by leering
> idiots with pings of 0-10 often enough. The bad part isn't getting
> knocked off, but having them taunt with "you suck!" etc when they sit
> back and soak up armour and health. Now with a cable modem, I don't
> abuse the resources I have (ie: sniping endlessly near armour shards),
> but instead actively avoid picking up too much as to offset the speed
> difference. If servers started imposing a delay on my connection for

that's a good and fair tactic...

> being too fast, well... needless to say I wouldn't stay on it. If
> players are feeling *that* insecure about playing on servers, get some
> people together and play locally. Leave the internet games to those who
> won't ruin it by whining excessively.

I never thought it was a good idea for servers to impose delays on your
connection. Who would want that? I think everyone wishes they were an
LPB... hehe... well at least the LP part... =)
I know some LPB's who just rock world and that is all there is to
it. Maybe I am overreacting to this, it's hard to tell due to all of the
many conditions out there.
My main gripe stems from a few bad CTF sessions where the resident
LPB had either haste or regen and he was covering one very centralized
region, taking care to always pick up the red armor when it respawned,
keeping his health at max... and when the poor sap modem players would
come in, that's when his haste chaingun would crank up.. the modem players
would literally be dead before they heard his weapon warming up...
That's what I don't like. I don't like being dead before I can
hear his weapon warm up.. I want at least a chance to get the heck out of
the way.. <grin>.. the idea of giving modem players higher resistence to
attacks does just that... it gives them a chance to get the heck out of
the way as soon as they hear the gun warming up... I don't think the LPB
has much to worry about.. the modem player has about 1 chance to send in a
nice rocket before he has to take off or be destroyed... the 1 on 1 battle
against an LPB is almost always in the LPB's favor... unless the modem
player is amazingly good... =)

Matt

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

In alt.games.quake2 Eek <isr...@freemail.nl> wrote:
> sometimes there are a few LPB dudes. I am sure they are on the same lan as
> the
> quake server, because you see their ping vary from 12 to max. 70 with an
> average
> of 20. The only way to beat those guys is lots of moving and lots of luck.

> Last week in CTF there were 4 of them and they joined the blue team. I was
> in the
> red team and most reds disconnected after a while because of no change. One
> red
> player went joining the blue team ! The Loser...

This is another problem.. LPB's teaming up on 1 team against a boat-load
of hapless HPB's.. hehe... but hey, I guess if they really want to do it,
who am I to complain? Usually people like CTF because it is challenging
and they will try to balance the teams until the captures are about the
same...

Matt

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

From redf...@xmission.xmission.com Fri Mar 13 15:52:05 1998
Newsgroups: alt.games.quake2
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:52:04 -0700 (MST)
From: Matt <redf...@xmission.xmission.com>
Subject: Re: Anti-LPB server side mod - Is it possible?
Fcc: sent-mail

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Edwin Wijers wrote:

> > I have been researching the possibility of a server-side mod against
> > LPB's... but it wouldn't cripple the LPB, it would just make the modem
> > player stronger and more resistant... also I was thinking a great idea
>

> Sorry, this just wouldn't work. It would mean an unfair advantage for the
> weaker modem player, who would get his ass fragged by any player (LPB or
> HPB). I'm an LPB, I play through an ISDN connection from The Netherlands.

I am not convinced that it would be unfair. Everyone has played against
those newbies who use the keyboard to turn or who don't even move when
they fire. All you have to do is cap them with a rail and they're done.
All I'm proposing is that the LPB has to cap him with 1.25 rails
or 1.5 rails if his lag is bad enough. This wouldn't be a big deal if he
sucked.
Modem to modem players wouldn't notice a difference because they
would be on the same playing field. The only difference would be between
LPB's and HPB's.

> I play for the Irish Jedi Q2 clan and all the others, all Irish players,
> play through modem, I still get a lower ping than the Irish 'at home'. But
> one of the clanmembers really suffers from a dreadfull ping, 350+ ms! He
> still wins matches, even when I'm playing. Since I'm a good player, this
> guy must be an absolute ace even with that horrible ping. On the Irish
> server I play I average a 150 ms ping. There are guys playing with ping 0
> and I am able to frag them without much of a problem.

For the point of this discussion I will concede that you are a
good player. I have fragged LPB's myself, I think everyone probably has.
But it's much more difficult to frag an LPB. Example is when I am playing
CTF and I am trying to rail someone (not easy with lag hehe). It might
take me 2-3 times as many attempts to rail an LPB than an HPB, simply
because the HPB is jerking around instead of flowing smoothly.
Logic and reason tell me that my rail to the LPB should count for
more than my rail to the HPB. Regardless of how good I am... I should get
more credit for the harder hit (ie do more damage).

> My conclusion is that a very good HPB player can kick a LPB with ease,
> if your good enough!

I agree with this. I have beaten LPB's with my bad ping. But the
question is, is the LPB as good as I am, or does he totally suck? If he's
as good as I am, then I have no case. If I am better than he is, then
doubtless I would give him a more harder schooling on equal ping fields
than I would with the HPB/LPB mismatch.

> Sorry dude, but I'm good even with a fairly shitty ping. When I win, I win
> because I'm better, not because I've got the lower ping!

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think this is an all
encompassing statement for everone. Maybe you are so good that ping
doesn't bother you. I would even be willing to give you that benefit of
the doubt, especially because I think ISDN wins hands down over modem at
the same pings.
But there is a very real difference between playing an HPB and an
LPB. If there wasn't, it wouldn't be so easy to spot LPB's. But as it
is, you can walk into a room full of players fragging each other, and
point out the LPB immediately, just by watching his movements, his rate of
fire, etc.

David Pochron

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Ben <BLU...@ROCKETMAIL.COM> wrote in article
<6ebssu$opi$1...@campus1.mtu.edu>...

> thats funny cuase i have had 500 ping before and kicked a guys ass that had
> 100 ping. it is skill that maters not ping. so get your facts straight.
> beat a lot of people on my dads computer. he usually has around 400-500
> ping and im continuously on the top. so i am a symbol that proves you
> wrong.

Talk is cheap, and we have no idea if you're telling the truth. Even if you
are, we have no way to judge the players you were playing. They may have all
been newbies.

Sorry to disappoint you, but what Roscoe said is basically true. You move
slower, you fire later, and aiming is harder. Two equal players can play
each other and the only deciding factor is who has the lower ping. Simple as
that.

Weasel

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98
I know *exactly* what you mean about having one idiot taking
mainstage... it happens quite often. The best option available to you is
*teamwork*... use the messagemode2 command (say_team) to coordinate your
efforts to smoke 'im. One LPB isn't much of a contest for 3 or so HPB's
with rail guns working together. :)

I'd like to dispel a popular myth: just because I have a cable modem
does not mean I am going to show up on a server with a low ping. Inet's
CTF servers tend to give me mid 200's, but Ansible will slap 500's all
around, peaking at 999 far too often. This more than ofsets the cable
modem, no?

Weasel[LPB]

Ben

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

David Pochron wrote in message <01bd4efa$520212a0$3a5c0e26@pistol>...

sorry i only play on the best servers i can find. ones that are up to my
level. to bad there are only a few that have players that can actually beat
me. it takes all the fun out of the game when i am constantly winning. so
yes skill is more of a factor than ping is. unless of course you have like
600+ ping. then it becomes almost impossible to play.

Anders

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

In article <6edd7e$sko$1...@campus1.mtu.edu>
"Ben" <BLU...@ROCKETMAIL.COM> wrote:

<SNIP>

> sorry i only play on the best servers i can find. ones that are up to my
> level. to bad there are only a few that have players that can actually beat
> me. it takes all the fun out of the game when i am constantly winning. so
> yes skill is more of a factor than ping is. unless of course you have like
> 600+ ping. then it becomes almost impossible to play.

Then,why don't you just post the servers IP numbers for everyone in the
group,maybe someone will join the server and maybe they'll give you a
run for the money....
And BTW,how come Thresh's driving around in your Ferrari?
Happy fraggin'
RiotSquad

Who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow.
/ Jeffrey Combs playing Herbert West in Re-Animator
Remove theweb. to reply by e-mail.

Craig Fletcher

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

> Sounds like this is someone who'll be easy meat at a high-ping.
>
> Smid

Smid sounds like someone who dies a lot at any ping and blames it on the

Ben

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Anders wrote in message <6ee2q6$h9d$1...@cubacola.tninet.se>...

fine here it is
192.246.40.37
oh and i wish i even had a job. then i could afford a Ferrari. oh wait
when i graduate from college i will be able to afford one.

Ryan

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

dummy....thresh WON it....not buy it....
wake up get up feel the sun

Anders

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

In article <350AE7...@indianvalley.com>
Ryan <ry...@indianvalley.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

>> fine here it is
>> 192.246.40.37
>> oh and i wish i even had a job. then i could afford a Ferrari. oh wait
>> when i graduate from college i will be able to afford one.
>

> dummy....thresh WON it....not buy it....
> wake up get up feel the sun

Exactly,maybe I should've put a <SARCASM> in there....I just thought
everyone in this group would get it.....

epoptai

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

On 14 Mar 1998 14:04:54 GMT, riot...@theweb.hotmail.com (Anders)
wrote:

>In article <6edd7e$sko$1...@campus1.mtu.edu>
>"Ben" <BLU...@ROCKETMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
><SNIP>
>>
>> sorry i only play on the best servers i can find. ones that are up to my
>> level. to bad there are only a few that have players that can actually beat

>> me. it takes all the fun out of the game when i am constantly winning. <burp>

>BTW,how come Thresh's driving around in your Ferrari?

Is he really driving it around? The insurance must be INSANE...

Ford[SC]

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

On 13 Mar 1998 12:18:48 GMT, "Craig Fletcher"
<return.t...@get.lost.com> wrote:

>Hey I got a simple solution. Upgrade your lousy hardware. With
>all the effort you put into finding ways to fuck over LPBs you
>could get a second job and buy Cable/ISDN?

Not that I support the AntiLPB mod idea, but has it ever
occured to you that quite a number of HPB's don't upgrade because
there are no upgrade options in their area?

>We LPBs are truly bored with wall humping High Ping Whiners. I
>would like nothing more than to have someone who can kill me.

And people wonder why you're called bastards.
Ford[SC] ICQ UIN:5217206
Visit The StoneCutters Clan homepage!
http://ww2.dixie-net.com/michaels/
You and me. Quake. One on one. Just the axe.

Vero Anderson

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Now let us not forget computer speed. With client prediction running so
well, a guy like me who gets pings of less than 100 on a decent day (isdn)
can still get whooped on by a guy with a 300 ping. Why? Do I suck?
Well, yes, sort of. But one problem is that I'm playing on a P166 with a
tweaked out matrox m3d. Running the massive1.dm2 demo I get 11 (eleven)
frames per second. They say you need 20 (twenty) to be competetive.
Damn! Of course, I usually AM competetive, which is why I stay off the
crowded servers, so that my crap computer doesn't slow down my frags too
much. Also, in order to squeek out 11 fps I had to turn off such nice
things like rail gun trails and rocket glows, muzzle flashes, glowing
blaster shots, etc etc.

So yes, low ping helps somewhat, but the equation goes like this:

my frags = (1/myping + 1/myfps + myskill) * themagicconstant

Where the magic constant is based on all the other players' info and the
level, and the server, etc. Any stat majors want to get a mathematical
model going? Then we can accurately 'adjust' our frags and be real
pleased with ourselves, and start debating the mathematical model's
accuracy instead of lpb/hpw. OR we could just play and enjoy ourselves.
If I'm whooping a high pinger's ass and it's only the two of us I'll stop
using the big guns. Period. Makes it a little more fun.

By the way, I've connected on a modem, and the main disadvantage is
hitting doors, as they stop you until the server opens it for you. And
sometimes you fire a rocket at somebody, but then your computer updates
and it turns out they have moved to another location, but the 'client
prediction' feature fooled you! This is usually just when you get a chunk
of lag, which shows that stable ping is VERY important, low ping is very
NICE!

vero.

> thats funny cuase i have had 500 ping before and kicked a guys ass that had
> 100 ping. it is skill that maters not ping. so get your facts straight. i
> beat a lot of people on my dads computer. he usually has around 400-500
> ping and im continuously on the top. so i am a symbol that proves you
> wrong.
>

> ben

momma@hotmail.com IKILLU

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Vero Anderson wrote in message ...
>snip

that stable ping is VERY important, low ping is very
>NICE!
>
>vero.
>

>> thats funny cuase i have had 500 ping before and kicked a guys ass that
had
>> 100 ping. it is skill that maters not ping. so get your facts straight.
>> beat a lot of people on my dads computer. he usually has around 400-500
>> ping and im continuously on the top. so i am a symbol that proves you
>> wrong.
>>

>> ben<---------------- needle dick bug fucker
>>
>> How do you do on your mom's computer

Mr.Blonde

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

Vero Anderson <vm...@vman.deskmail.washington.edu> skrev i inlägg
<Pine.A41.3.96a.98031...@dante07.u.washington.edu>...

> > The guys ho komplayne abaouy lpb:s are just looking for an exuse for
them getting killed i usally have 150-300 in ping and thats no problemo for
me.
ther will alwayse be someone better than me playing, maybe i have a bad day
but saying he´s an LPB i just a bad exuse.
Hitte Joar

Tony Esper

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

bha...@voicenet.com wrote:

> You are a symbol of nothing. Until you're playing a game where everyone has
> atleast a moderatly even ping you haven't actually played a fair game. I've
> played quake on a t-1, on ISDN, and of course on analog. I'm not very good.
> I'm ok. I'm usually in the top 5 on a server with 10+ people. Almost never
> #1 - that is playing with a regular modem. However when I had isdn I
> kicked ass every time. I would hardly find a server I couldn't consistently
> stay at #1 on with very little effort unless the server was full of low ping
> bastards. Low ping bastards are indeed bastards. They should either play
> on their own servers designated for lpbs or go play one player on godmode
> cause that's what it boils down to. If you can't kick everyones ass all the
> time whenever you want and you play on ISDN or better you just plain suck.
> There is no hope for you, you shouldn't even play games that require
> reflexes. I can't understand how people are smart enough to own computers
> yet they actually argue (and I think they're keeping a straight face) taht
> ping doesn't make that much difference. Here's what it boils down to. If
> you're on a modem and you play someone on a t-1 or a good isdn connection
> the advantage they have is enough that they can fire and effectively kill
> you before you even hit your mouse button. I think you all fail to realize
> how fast the human reflexe is. I've heard that some reflexes can be
> measured in millionths of a second and certainly off them in thousandths -
> well what do you know that's how ping is measured! A couple hundred
> milisecond advantage is pleanty to give someone that sucks a big advantage.

> Vero Anderson wrote in message ...
> >
> >Now let us not forget computer speed. With client prediction running so
> >well, a guy like me who gets pings of less than 100 on a decent day (isdn)
> >can still get whooped on by a guy with a 300 ping. Why? Do I suck?
> >Well, yes, sort of. But one problem is that I'm playing on a P166 with a
> >tweaked out matrox m3d. Running the massive1.dm2 demo I get 11 (eleven)
> >frames per second. They say you need 20 (twenty) to be competetive.
> >Damn! Of course, I usually AM competetive, which is why I stay off the
> >crowded servers, so that my crap computer doesn't slow down my frags too

I KICK ASS Anyway when I play and i have a p2-233 with a riva128, I am
ALWAYS number 1, never 2. And the only thing thouse LPBs have a
advantage over me is sniping.

JncoJenz-=XF=-

bha...@voicenet.com

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

rf...@usa.net

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

I hope everyone that's even remotely good will challenge this guy and kick
his ass. There's noone that's ALWAYS number 1. I dont' care how good you
are there's always someone better. And someone alot worse will beat you if
they have half your ping

Pat Ostack

Mar 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/24/98

Wow, you guys need to get a life. When I refer to someone being an LPB, it
is in a joking manner. It sound as if you really resent them. Be jealous,
but don't be mad at them because they have a better connection than you. If
you had the low ping, I seriously doubt that you'd only play with others
that had a low ping. I can't believe I am actually dignifying this topic
with a reply. Just chill out and have fun. If a LPB kills you, then get back
up and keep playing. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!!