OT OT No need to reply

1 view

boB - Copter6

Jun 17, 2009, 10:42:43 PM6/17/09

I've been off for a while. A lot of catching up to do. Kuma lost his
fight with Cancer a few days ago. We got his ashes today. 2 years on
Chemo was quite a miracle. I wrote about our cat passing away a few
months ago but I didn't mention that we lost Balto as well 2 weeks ago.
Balto was the dog that entered that video I did about IFR flying on
the motion simulator. Balto slowly lost the use of his legs and when it
got to the point that we had to carry him around on a stretcher and
constantly clean the urine from his fur that we made the decision it was
enough. The really sad part was Balto was quite aware and thinking
clearly. Kuma wasn't as good. We made the decision for Kuma after I
stayed with him all night helping him hold his head up so he could
breathe and cleaning the blood off his legs and fur. We still have 7
German Shepherds here and 2 of them are over 10. Hopefully they will
escape some of the health problems the others have had.

I knew Kuma wasn't going to make it much longer and I created a simple
web page where I wrote about his life. He didn't have any luck in life.
He was just 11.

Seriously, no one should reply. I know there are many animal lovers here
in this group and they all know what it's like.

Kuma's last page.

http://www.akita-friends.com/kuma/

--

____^____
======================

Guerillasmurf

Jun 18, 2009, 3:30:34 AM6/18/09

"boB - Copter6" <"" copter dot six \"@ gmail.com.."> wrote in message

Hello

I am sorry but I have to reply to your post. I've just read through Kumas
life story on your website and I must say he amused me.
The fact that he cheated death so many times was facinating and also that he
was able to escape all sorts of "prison" was amazing.
We have a Golden Retriever and she is now the age of five. I am now already
so scared of the day I have to bring her in for her last visit at the vets
clinic. So I understand your pain of saying goodbye to a good friend.
Kuma was a really beautiful dog.
Now it is time for him to rest :-)

Best Regards
Guerillasmurf.

boB - Copter6

Jun 18, 2009, 3:58:50 PM6/18/09
Guerillasmurf wrote:

> I am sorry but I have to reply to your post. I've just read through
> Kumas life story on your website and I must say he amused me.

> We have a Golden Retriever and she is now the age of five. I am now
> already so scared of the day I have to bring her in for her last visit
> at the vets clinic. So I understand your pain of saying goodbye to a
> good friend.

> Best Regards
> Guerillasmurf.

Try not to worry about your Golden. They're still many years left. I
would say though, don't skimp on the Vet care. (I'm sure you don't). I
don't know about the heartworm problem where you are located but it's
very bad here in Texas. When I lived in Germany the Vet didn't even
mention heartworms. If you don't give a heartworm preventative monthly
at least have a heartworm check on your annual visit to the Vet. Of the
100 or so dogs we have found homes for, more than 10 were heartworm
positive. Roger, the only rescue we have looking for a home, is
heartworm positive. Supposedly you can kill the heartworms just by
giving the preventative monthly, which kills all the juveniles and the
adult heartworms die off slowly in just 2 years. It's been more than 2
years now and he's still positive. He requires a special home and all
the inquires so far have not been acceptable.

(I am shamelessly using this opportunity to preach about Heartworms)

Roger
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll99/petfinder_usa/Roger/

Even some of the rescues we had transported from the Northern States,
even inside dogs, had positive heartworm tests. It's expensive and the
procedure to kill the heartworms really take a toll on the pet and can
kill the pet. Here in Texas it cost about $5-US a month for the
preventative. Give your Golden a hug. :)

--

____^____
======================

wake me when we stop begging

The Old Bloke

Jun 19, 2009, 5:49:28 AM6/19/09

"boB - Copter6" <"" copter dot six \"@ gmail.com.."> wrote in message
Heartworm is a problem in my part of the world. And we have ticks that kill
dogs very quickly. Unless the tick is quickly found, paralysis and death
follow.

Lili and I have no normal pets, but we take in all injured and sick animals
for care. Amazingly many of the local native animals seem to seek us out
when they need help. Vet bills keep us poor, but we wouldn't have it any
other way.

Kumas is resting now. You clearly love and care for your pets.

Regards
Doug

Dallas

Jun 19, 2009, 11:03:25 AM6/19/09
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 21:42:43 -0500, boB - Copter6 wrote:

> Kuma's last page.

That's real sad. :- (

--
Dallas

Gregory

Jun 19, 2009, 10:25:16 PM6/19/09
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 21:42:43 -0500, boB - Copter6 <"" copter dot six \"
@ gmail.com.."> brought the following to our attention:

Hi boB.. Co-Pilot Tweetie here...

Gregory sent me the link and let me use his news client so I could send
along some information to you. I am very sorry for your loss of Kuma. I
greatly admire your love of animals. Unfortunately, we do not own a pet
at present but plan on having one some day.

Ironically, I was in a forum earlier today and was reading a discussion
about a woman whose pet had health problems. It mentioned a woman,
Catherine O'Driscoll, who owned two beautiful Golden Retrievers that
tragically died. In her grief she decided to do some independent
research. To make a long story short, as a result of her experiences
she founded an organization for pet lovers in 1994 called Canine Health
Concern. Below is the link. All the best.

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/

Tweets

boB - Copter6

Jun 24, 2009, 4:34:14 AM6/24/09
The Old Bloke wrote:

> Lili and I have no normal pets, but we take in all injured and sick
> animals for care. Amazingly many of the local native animals seem to
> seek us out when they need help. Vet bills keep us poor, but we
> wouldn't have it any other way.
>
> Kumas is resting now. You clearly love and care for your pets.
>
> Regards
> Doug

Thanks Doug. We know about the vet bills. Chica, one of our German
Shepherds goes to the vet tomorrow for x-rays. She's been limping off
and on for the last month. We need to know what the problem is. I'm
sitting here looking at the picture of a pure bred Akita in a shelter in
Kentucky. The Shelter is asking for help and we have already taken one
Akita from them. There was a pony express type travel plan to get the
dog to us in Central Texas. It's hard but we just can't help this guy.
It's all too sad.

boB - Copter6

Jun 24, 2009, 4:43:18 AM6/24/09
Co-Pilot Tweetie wrote:

> Hi boB.. Co-Pilot Tweetie here...
>
> Gregory sent me the link and let me use his news client so I could send
> along some information to you. I am very sorry for your loss of Kuma. I
> greatly admire your love of animals. Unfortunately, we do not own a pet
> at present but plan on having one some day.
>
> Ironically, I was in a forum earlier today and was reading a discussion
> about a woman whose pet had health problems. It mentioned a woman,
> Catherine O'Driscoll, who owned two beautiful Golden Retrievers that
> tragically died. In her grief she decided to do some independent
> research. To make a long story short, as a result of her experiences
> she founded an organization for pet lovers in 1994 called Canine Health
> Concern. Below is the link. All the best.
>
> http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/
>
> Tweets

Thank you Tweets. It's an honor to get a personal message from you,
someone all in this group have heard of and have gotten to know. Thanks
for the info. You aren't in the market for a beautiful Akita in a
Kentucky shelter are you???? Just kidding. To adopt an Akita a person
really need to study the breed. They aren't for everyone. My Kuma was
not a good example of an Akita. Most are bigger and wider and look like
Bears. And while they are extremely protective of their family they can
be a problem sometimes if they perceive someone is aggressive toward
their "humans"..

Thanks again.

Bob and Gabriella

--