the marathon vidmaster challenge...

igne ferroque

Jan 25, 1995, 7:22:53 PM1/25/95
I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of
the game's levels on Total Carnage starting with only the pistol and
x1 health (via Command-Option Begin Game). Upload your replays!

I've just done "Bob-B-Q" and "Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones", anyone
want to see? I imagine that "Pfhoraphobia" will be impossible, but I
haven't tried it yet.

Later,
Jason

Chi-yun Charles Kung

Jan 25, 1995, 8:49:44 PM1/25/95
In article <1995Jan26.0...@midway.uchicago.edu> jo...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of
>the game's levels on Total Carnage starting with only the pistol and
>x1 health (via Command-Option Begin Game). Upload your replays!
>
>I've just done "Bob-B-Q" and "Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones", anyone
^^^^^^^

Yes Jason, but did you save enough Bobs to satisfy Leela? :)

I would really like to see these films.

Charles Kung
chi...@princeton.edu

Dina Fonseca

Jan 25, 1995, 9:07:47 PM1/25/95
igne ferroque (jo...@quads.uchicago.edu) wrote:
: I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of

: Later,
: Jason

I would really like to see this. I would'nt have thought it was possible.
I'd love to be proved wrong.

And I still can't do the first level on Total Carnage...

DF.

Matt McRae

Jan 25, 1995, 11:23:14 PM1/25/95
In article <1995Jan26.0...@midway.uchicago.edu>,
jo...@midway.uchicago.edu wrote:

I believe some levels are impossible to complete. Some REQUIRE that
you have a weapon that can flip switches from a distance, but some of
these same levels do not have any weapons to pick up. The pistol will not
allow you to complete the level. Please tell me if I am wrong.

--
Matt McRae
Group Cortex

Jonathan Chapman

Jan 26, 1995, 12:55:45 PM1/26/95

> I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of
> the game's levels on Total Carnage starting with only the pistol and
> x1 health (via Command-Option Begin Game). Upload your replays!

Where? I don't suppose Bungie has a Marathon FTP site in the works anywere?

-Chappy

*[ ][ ]**************************************************************
* \\// Jonathan Chapman jch...@minerva.cis.yale.edu *
* 9||5 "Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated" -Bill Gates*
**[ ]***************************************************************

Joseph Ashear

Jan 26, 1995, 4:11:17 PM1/26/95

I don't care what anyone says (even Jason!), this is not possible. Never
mind the fact that you need grenades and/or the fusion pistol to open some
doors. The challenge is just too great. I've done some wild things (like
punching out hulks and those big metal blimps on Try Again), but I just
don't see how ANYONE can get through, say, Pfhoraphobia with a pistol,
particularly since there's no ammo on that level, apart from alien
weapons, as I recall.

+-------------------------------------------+---------------------+
| Opinions expressed herein are my own | Joseph Ashear |
| and not necessarily those of my employer. | jas...@escape.com |
| Hey wait a minute... I am my employer. | rende...@aol.com |
+-------------------------------------------+---------------------+

igne ferroque

Jan 27, 1995, 9:29:39 PM1/27/95
In article <1995Jan26.0...@Princeton.EDU> chi...@tucson.princeton.edu (Chi-yun Charles Kung) writes:
>In article <1995Jan26.0...@midway.uchicago.edu> jo...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>>I've just done "Bob-B-Q" and "Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones"
>
>Yes Jason, but did you save enough Bobs to satisfy Leela? :)

on total carnage it was hard for me to get them before the pfhor, but
i was still largely successful. :)

has anyone noticed that unlike the aliens, bobs don't get any smarter,
stronger or faster at higher difficulty levels? same thing happens to
the defense drones. bobs are complete fodder on total carnage.

I'm trying to figure out some trick to finishing "Couch Fishing" (#4) in
this way, but so far I can only clear out the first wave and recharge.
Anyone tried (#16) "Pfhor Your Eyes Only" ?

later,
jason

Peg-Leg Scourge

Jan 28, 1995, 9:51:55 AM1/28/95
> > I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of
> > the game's levels on Total Carnage starting with only the pistol and
> > x1 health (via Command-Option Begin Game). Upload your replays!
>
> Where? I don't suppose Bungie has a Marathon FTP site in the works anywere?

Post them.

hob...@eliza.netaxis.com

Jonathan Chapman

Jan 28, 1995, 9:36:42 AM1/28/95
In article <cjp-2701...@mac1010.kip.apple.com>, c...@apple.com (Chris
Plummer) wrote:

> How is Command-Option Begin Game any different from just a normal Begin
> Game? You still get a pistol and 1x life. Does it limit you to this for the
> entire game or something cruel like that?

Try it and see. It lets you slect a level to start in.

Tian Fung Lim

Jan 29, 1995, 1:37:02 AM1/29/95
Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.games: 26-Jan-95 the marathon
vidmaster chal.. by igne ferr...@quads.uchi

> I've just done "Bob-B-Q" and "Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones", anyone
> want to see? I imagine that "Pfhoraphobia" will be impossible, but I
> haven't tried it yet.

I got most(well, about half) of bbq done! I was just getting started on
the second level (twisty passages with green hunters on the end) when I
should've recharged, but took on 2 hunters and a blue. should've
survived that one :P Really quite simple once you clear out the big
room, so you can lead any(all) big engagements there. if anyone wants
to see I'll upload it (it's big - 124k - but a lot more exciting than
the boring 2-player netgames we're getting).

cheerz

Tian Lim tl...@andrew.cmu.edu Math/CS '95 CMU Mood :P
http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/afs/andrew/usr12/tl1m/www/home.html

Quote #137 : How can you govern a nation which has 246 kinds of cheese?
-- Charles de Gaulle

Craig L. Stevenson

Jan 29, 1995, 3:31:21 PM1/29/95

> I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of
> the game's levels on Total Carnage starting with only the pistol and
> x1 health (via Command-Option Begin Game). Upload your replays!

Post your film.

PEACE OUT!!! --Craig L. Stevenson clst...@mcs.com

igne ferroque

Jan 30, 1995, 11:25:21 AM1/30/95
In article <wj__Rve00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Tian Fung Lim <tl...@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>Problem is there aren't any easily accessible (read : no) weapons on the
>level...I would really like to see the original poster's film. Bet he
>survived the initial onslought by sheer luck.

ah, grasshopper, the most accessable weapon of all is your own fists,
you must learn to lay aside your weapons of steel and use your flesh.

<grin>

i'm posting the binhex'd BBQ film in it's own thread. i hope that
everyone agrees after watching it that luck played no part in this
replay.

later,
jason

Ed