TIPS: How to improve framerate consistency

CosmicRay

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

INTRO:
I kept noticing that my game had little hick-ups.
By hicp-ups I mean image going still for a fraction
of a second, like skipping frames.

This could be noticed, even with a 3DFX at any resolutions.
640x480, 800x600 ...

I just discovered that This is caused by WIN95,
AUTO INSERT NOTIFICATION.
I strongly recommend that you disable it.

HOW TO DIAGNOSE:
Start JediKnight, Start a game, and do not move anything.
Leave the controls alone. After a moment it will go to
an outside view turning around your character. If you
look carefully, you should notice skipped frames every
five or so seconds. That was WIN95 taking back control
of it's drives to check if a new disk was inserted !

WHAT TO DO:
Go into your WIN95 control panel and select SYSTEM.
Then go to Device Manager (View devices by type).
Then go to your CD-ROM icon and select the drives.
Remove the Checkmark for Auto insert notification
for all CDROM drives.

WHY IS IT NOT HAPPENING TO ME:
It is probably because your CDROM drives are
SCSI or your machine is behaving very well.
In that case, do whatever you want. ;)
---
Cosmic-Ray-Tracer
THE_SP...@videotron.ca