Will JK run on a high end 486???

Frank M. Goldman

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

I have been waiting for JK ever since it was announced, but unfortunatley,
now that it is, my computer's not as good as it used to be. I was planning
on getting JK, but am worried about how it'll look and play on my high end
486. I thought Quake played okay, and only when numerous enemies were on
screen it slowed, is JK the same? I also have a 2x cd drive, will that
totally screw up the cutscenes? Finally, since games are speedier in dos,
does JK have to run through Win 95? I plan on upgrading the comp in a few
months, but I really want JK now. Please e-mail all replies, as I don't
frequent this group.

Thanks in advance,
Colt Duncan

Erik M. Johnson

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

[This followup was posted to alt.games.jedi-knight and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <69kb6a$edi$1...@nntp.pe.net>, fra...@pe.net says...

I used to run JK on an AMD 5x86 133 (486) with 24MB of RAM, a 2X CDROM. I
kept the screen size relatively small and ran at a lower resolution, but
things were smooth.

You must run JK from Win95 since it uses DirectX technology.

Get the game. It's really good, and now that I've upgraded my machine to
a better everything (RAM, MB, CPU, CD, Sound, etc) I'm enjoying playing
again with higher resolution, 3D, etc. Hopefully you can upgrade someday,
and have a similar experience.
--
------------
Erik Johnson

Frank M. Goldman

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me with advice/suggestions. I downloaded
the demo (to see how it would run), but unfortunatley it has a nasty habit
of locking up whenever I click on certain options. Did anyone else have
this problem? If so, what can be done to correct it?

Thanks,
Colt Duncan

P.S. I know the readme file says to just Ctrl-Alt-Del, but it won't work for
some reason.

portup.com

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

Try setting the graphic acceleration down to zero in
control panel-system-performance-graphics....that'll
do it.

and as for resetting your computer, use the reset button
on your case, if that doesn't work, you just have to turn
the power off and on again....ctrl-alt-delete only works if
the BIOS and keyboard interrupts are working I think......