Why AOL Sucks

Deuch66

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

<<too lazy to quote other reasons why AOL sucks>>

thats just the tip of the iceberg...i hate AOL for so many reasons they wont
fit in this one post...the only reason i use AOL is cause the morons who run it
let "smart" people like me sign on for free...i would feel ashamed to pay $20 a
month (or even $5) for this lousy service

----> peter
---------> only human to see Tifa and Aeris "together"
----> and live

Peter Yao

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

In article <19980106231...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, deu...@aol.com
(Deuch66) wrote:

> <<too lazy to quote other reasons why AOL sucks>>
>
> thats just the tip of the iceberg...i hate AOL for so many reasons they wont
> fit in this one post...the only reason i use AOL is cause the morons who
run it
> let "smart" people like me sign on for free...i would feel ashamed to pay
$20 a
> month (or even $5) for this lousy service

That's nice, but I think you missed the "why AOL sucks" thread by a month or so.

--
"Resistance is useless!"
"Just don't say things like that. How can anyone maintain a positive mental

Tomo1657

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

>thats just the tip of the iceberg...i hate AOL for so many reasons they wont
>fit in this one post...the only reason i use AOL is cause the morons who run
>it
>let "smart" people like me sign on for free...i would feel ashamed to pay $20
>month (or even $5) for this lousy service

I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?

-Tomo: defender of Lenna, Mr. Uematsu, and his music
A captain of AGFF AirForce (EF-2000)

http://members.aol.com/tomo1657/music/midi.htm
for Musical World of Final Fantasy
http://members.aol.com/tomo1657/defend.htm
to declare a title in AGFF

Edwyn

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

Tomo1657 wrote:

> >thats just the tip of the iceberg...i hate AOL for so many reasons
> >they wont fit in this one post...the only reason i use AOL is
> >cause the morons who run it let "smart" people like me sign on for
> >free...i would feel ashamed to pay $20 a month (or even $5) for
> >this lousy service
>
> I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?

Yes, how is it in the afterlife?

-Edwyn

--
Master of "Sock with a half-brick in it" technique
and Defender of Cyanspeak

"Ok, I won't tell her. But it's hard to tell her anyway when she's
deflated." -Cherubae, in response to Pigwalk's "Noone tell my
woman ok".

SI HOC SIGNUM LEGERE POTES, OPERIS IN REBUS LATINIS
ALACRIBUS ET FRUCTUOSIS POTIRI POTES!

NeoAtma316

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

>Subject: Re: Why AOL Sucks
>From: tomo...@aol.com (Tomo1657)
>Date: Tue, Jan 6, 1998 18:50 EST

>>thats just the tip of the iceberg...i hate AOL for so many reasons they wont
>>fit in this one post...the only reason i use AOL is cause the morons who run
>>it
>>let "smart" people like me sign on for free...i would feel ashamed to pay
>$20
>>month (or even $5) for this lousy service
>
>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?

Yes. Are you stupid, insane, or do you live in a cave?

Tomo1657

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

>>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?
>
>Yes. Are you stupid, insane, or do you live in a cave?

I'm really stupid. I'm truly insane. AND I live in a dark, long cave : )

-Cave Man Tomo

Keith Adams

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In the Age of Tue, 06 Jan 1998 18:35:35 -0400, the following
perso...@idt.net (Peter Yao) wrote these scribblings:

>That's nice, but I think you missed the "why AOL sucks" thread by a month or so.

Like that has stopped us before.

And the supply of AOL-suckiness is infinite.

--
Keith Adams
Defender of the four line sig

Keith Adams

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In the Age of 6 Jan 1998 23:50:02 GMT, the following persont...@aol.com
(Tomo1657) wrote these scribblings:

>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?

Yes.

How was your lobotomy?

Ralph 6226

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

ja...@cwo.com (Keith Adams) wrote:

>In the Age of 6 Jan 1998 23:50:02 GMT, the following persont...@aol.com
>(Tomo1657) wrote these scribblings:
>
>>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?
>
>Yes.
>
>How was your lobotomy?

Everything is relative.

I like aol more than I like posting notes on the bulletin board at the
supermarket.

I like Macs more than I like Commodore 64s.

(Actually, I'd like Macs a lot more if I'd been smart enough to buy Apple stock
before yesterday- Then, just like Forrest Gump, I'd be a rich Mac owner!)

Everything IS relative.

Good Ol' Ralph

Purveyor of Fine Feather Pillows
and Chocobo Nuggets
(tough times....)

Peter Yao

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

> In the Age of Tue, 06 Jan 1998 18:35:35 -0400, the following
> perso...@idt.net (Peter Yao) wrote these scribblings:
>
> >That's nice, but I think you missed the "why AOL sucks" thread by a
month or so.

> Like that has stopped us before.

I thought that the AOL bitching cycle started again every two months, with
the brief respite for making fun of WebTV users.

> And the supply of AOL-suckiness is infinite.

I guess. It's just an ISP, albeit one that has a lot of idiots, but that's
common knowledge nowadays. Beating a dead horse, I guess.

Well, whatever tickles your pickle.

X3Pariah3X

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

>In article <34b31c6...@news.cwo.com>, ja...@cwo.com wrote:
>
>> In the Age of Tue, 06 Jan 1998 18:35:35 -0400, the following
>> perso...@idt.net (Peter Yao) wrote these scribblings:
>>
>> >That's nice, but I think you missed the "why AOL sucks" thread by a
>month or so.
>>
>> Like that has stopped us before.
>>

>I thought that the AOL bitching cycle started again every two months, with
>the brief respite for making fun of WebTV users.
>

>> And the supply of AOL-suckiness is infinite.
>
>I guess. It's just an ISP, albeit one that has a lot of idiots, but that's
>common knowledge nowadays. Beating a dead horse, I guess.
>
>Well, whatever tickles your pickle

That's because AOL is *THE* ISP for idiots, what other ISP holds your hands to
surf the web or let you cut and paste emoticons <smileys> from its own library
in E-mail? I rest my case, if there even was one to rest....
P.S. Yes, this is an AOL account, and unfortunately my only way to get onto the
net'...oh well, atleast i'm not paying for it.
P.P.S To the person who said he was "smart" because he hasnt payed a dime to
get an AOL account...smart..yea ok... considering that every upstart programmer
needs 15 minutes of fame by producing an AOL terrorizing program to do the work
for you.....

The Pariah

Deuch66

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

>That's because AOL is *THE* ISP for idiots, what other ISP holds your hands
>surf the web or let you cut and paste emoticons <smileys> from its own
>library

>in E-mail? I rest my case, if there even was one to rest....
>P.S. Yes, this is an AOL account, and unfortunately my only way to get onto
>the
>net'...oh well, atleast i'm not paying for it.
>P.P.S To the person who said he was "smart" because he hasnt payed a dime to

>get an AOL account...smart..yea ok... considering that every upstart
>programmer
>needs 15 minutes of fame by producing an AOL terrorizing program to do the
>work
>for you.....
>
>The Pariah

what do you know? i used to use those AO-HELL programs back in Jr High
school...but even so if you knew what you were talking about before you posted
something you would know that that is irrelevant....those "destroy" AOL after
you sign on...the only way to sign on for free is by yourself

Tomo1657

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

>>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?
>
>Yes.
>
>How was your lobotomy?
>
>--
>Keith Adams

'twas fine : )

Mary Gifaldi

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Deuch66 wrote:

> >That's because AOL is *THE* ISP for idiots, what other ISP holds your hands
> >surf the web or let you cut and paste emoticons <smileys> from its own
> >library

They really have a smiley library? That's...interesting. Do they have
the "double chinned chef whose toupee is caught in an updraft?"

--
Holder of 10 Vincent points.
Defender of your right to say it!

Keith Adams

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

In the Age of Wed, 07 Jan 1998 17:00:12 -0400, the following

perso...@idt.net (Peter Yao) wrote these scribblings:

>In article <34b31c6...@news.cwo.com>, ja...@cwo.com wrote:
>
>> In the Age of Tue, 06 Jan 1998 18:35:35 -0400, the following
>> perso...@idt.net (Peter Yao) wrote these scribblings:
>>
>> >That's nice, but I think you missed the "why AOL sucks" thread by a
>month or so.
>>
>> Like that has stopped us before.

>I thought that the AOL bitching cycle started again every two months, with
>the brief respite for making fun of WebTV users.

Two months is hardly brief.

And to let a whole month go by without mention of AOL's suckiness is
practically a crime.

>> And the supply of AOL-suckiness is infinite.
>
>I guess. It's just an ISP, albeit one that has a lot of idiots, but that's
>common knowledge nowadays. Beating a dead horse, I guess.

It also sucks aside from having lots of idiots.

It's like the chicken and the egg; does AOL suck because it's full of
idiots who don't get the concept of changing ISP's, or are there
predominately idiots because AOL sucks?

But, unlike the chicken and the egg, that debate is fun.

>Well, whatever tickles your pickle.

I don't do that much.

Certainly not enough to justify an expression thereof.

--
Keith Adams
Still in a pretty bad mood

Defender of the four line sig

Tomo1657

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

>>I thought that the AOL bitching cycle started again every two months, with
>>the brief respite for making fun of WebTV users.
>
>Two months is hardly brief.
>
>And to let a whole month go by without mention of AOL's suckiness is
>practically a crime.
>
>>> And the supply of AOL-suckiness is infinite.
>>
>>I guess. It's just an ISP, albeit one that has a lot of idiots, but that's
>>common knowledge nowadays. Beating a dead horse, I guess.
>
>It also sucks aside from having lots of idiots.
>
>It's like the chicken and the egg; does AOL suck because it's full of
>idiots who don't get the concept of changing ISP's, or are there
>predominately idiots because AOL sucks?

Hey! I think defending AOL is a very tough job....

-Tomo: defender of Lenna, AOL, Mr. Uematsu, and his music
Captain of AGFF AirForce (EF-2000)

Keith Adams

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

In the Age of 7 Jan 1998 03:36:59 GMT, the following persont...@aol.com
(Tomo1657) wrote these scribblings:

>>>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?
>>

>>Yes. Are you stupid, insane, or do you live in a cave?
>
>I'm really stupid. I'm truly insane. AND I live in a dark, long cave : )

So how do you work a computer?

Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.

Keith Adams

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

In the Age of 8 Jan 1998 06:56:51 GMT, the following persont...@aol.com
(Tomo1657) wrote these scribblings:

>>It's like the chicken and the egg; does AOL suck because it's full of

>>idiots who don't get the concept of changing ISP's, or are there
>>predominately idiots because AOL sucks?
>
>Hey! I think defending AOL is a very tough job....

As it should be.

If you want, I'll "defend" AOL with straw men for a while.

X3Pariah3X

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

>>That's because AOL is *THE* ISP for idiots, what other ISP holds your hands
>>surf the web or let you cut and paste emoticons <smileys> from its own
>>library
>
>>in E-mail? I rest my case, if there even was one to rest....
>>P.S. Yes, this is an AOL account, and unfortunately my only way to get onto
>>the
>>net'...oh well, atleast i'm not paying for it.
>>P.P.S To the person who said he was "smart" because he hasnt payed a dime to
>
>>get an AOL account...smart..yea ok... considering that every upstart
>>programmer
>>needs 15 minutes of fame by producing an AOL terrorizing program to do the
>>work
>>for you.....
>>
>>The Pariah
>
>what do you know? i used to use those AO-HELL programs back in Jr High
>school...but even so if you knew what you were talking about before you
>posted
>something you would know that that is irrelevant....those "destroy" AOL after
>you sign on...the only way to sign on for free is by yourself
>----> peter
>---------> only human to see Tifa and Aeris "together"
>----> and live

Your right, those programs destroy AOL after you sign on, but as i remember
when i used AOHell, the first program <i think>, you needed to use its features
to even make a fake account...and second i am generalizing, not all AOL users
are obviously idiots....from what i have seen <not on this site, but others>
most AOL users eithe troll or say things to stir up trouble..i didnt say this
to stir up trouble, i was agreeing with the general opinion in this group that
AOL is for retards.....

Harcon

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

> >>That's because AOL is *THE* ISP for idiots, what other ISP holds >your hands

Please Continue this Thread on alt.aol-sucks rather than
alt.final-fantasy.
Thank you,
Harcon

Reno

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

On Thu, 08 Jan 1998 16:43:28 +0000, Harcon <ik...@cs.strath.ac.uk>
wrote:

Sorry, but no.

888 88e ™ __.-----.__.----.__.---._.
888 888D ,e e, 888 8e e88 88e .'E-mail: jdr...@direct.ca ."
888 88" d88 88b 888 88b d888 888b ".AIM: Reno98 -or NeoReno113 :
888 b, 888 , 888 888 Y888 888P ."ICQ: 6904027 ".
888 88b, "YeeP" 888 888 "88 88" "-:.__.---,__.----.__,--.--._.'
/ / / // // // /
Save some Reno for a rainy day / / / / // // / / /
// / / // // / / // /

Fact: Natalia Simionova tastes like strawberries.

Unright

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Harcon wrote:

> Please Continue this Thread on alt.aol-sucks rather than
> alt.final-fantasy.
> Thank you,
> Harcon

Please Confine your moderating to newsgroups that are moderated rather
than in alt.games.final-fantasy.
Thank you,
Unright

Keith Adams

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

In the Age of Thu, 08 Jan 1998 16:43:28 +0000, the following personHarcon
<ik...@cs.strath.ac.uk> wrote these scribblings:

>Please Continue this Thread on alt.aol-sucks rather than
>alt.final-fantasy.

<PLO...>

Have you even read this group for any length of time?

This group is (somewhat) grossly off-topic. Pretty much anything goes here
(save obvious no-no's like binaries), which means AOL-sucking threads
belong here as much as the rest of the off-topic stuff.

Furtheremore, it's rather silly for you to make demands - what have you
done here that makes you believe that your words, unsupported as they are
by reputation, logic, or evidence, will have any effect?

Peter Yao

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

> In the Age of Wed, 07 Jan 1998 17:00:12 -0400, the following
> perso...@idt.net (Peter Yao) wrote these scribblings:

[...]

> >I thought that the AOL bitching cycle started again every two months, with
> >the brief respite for making fun of WebTV users.
>
> Two months is hardly brief.

Too brief, IMO.

> And to let a whole month go by without mention of AOL's suckiness is
> practically a crime.

Luckily, it seems there is no shortage of people ready to mention AOL's
suckiness at the drop of a hat. And it seems that the number of disgruntled
AOL users has grown quite rapidly. Ah, well, I shouldn't really care.

> >I guess. It's just an ISP, albeit one that has a lot of idiots, but that's
> >common knowledge nowadays. Beating a dead horse, I guess.
>
> It also sucks aside from having lots of idiots.
>

> It's like the chicken and the egg; does AOL suck because it's full of
> idiots who don't get the concept of changing ISP's, or are there
> predominately idiots because AOL sucks?
>

> But, unlike the chicken and the egg, that debate is fun.

Well, whatever tickles your pickle.

> >Well, whatever tickles your pickle.
>
> I don't do that much.
>
> Certainly not enough to justify an expression thereof.

"Much" he says. But, enough of that subject.

ADresc9197

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Tomo1657 writes:

>>It's like the chicken and the egg; does AOL suck because it's full of
>>idiots who don't get the concept of changing ISP's, or are there
>>predominately idiots because AOL sucks?
>

>Hey! I think defending AOL is a very tough job....

No, merely *being* on AOL is a tough job. You see, if someone from a non-AOL
ISP does something stupid, no one needs to answer for their crime but
themselves. If someone from AOL does something stupid, through some unspoken
rule of the Net the likes of which I am in no way responsible for, *everyone*
from AOL is saddled with guilt by proxy.

That said, I find the "AOL bitching" to be unspeakably dull. It eludes me how
people can find any merriment in whining about the same subject over and over
and over again- hey, put 'em in a room together, let them bitch about AOL for
all eternity, and we'll be rid of them. ^_^

And no, I DON'T like AOL. The only reason I've stayed with the server for two
years is not because I'm "an idiot who doesn't get the concept of changing
ISPs," but because I've found the sweetest, most wonderful friends of my life
on, yes, AOL. Believe it. Now, I _realize_ that I could run out and get a new
server and get the AOL Instant Messenger and coerce them all into IRC chat- but
the problem is, the phone lines in my area haven't been replaced since the
1950's, and while they seem to hate AOL- the screen freezes up on me at random
times, forcing me to reset it- they hate every other server I've tried even
more. :-P

E-chan, who is ticked because her nail clippers are blunt from trying to hack
through her very thick nails.
(Erica Drescher)
"I'm not a newbie, really!"

Jamey "Quacky" Powell

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Keith Adams wrote:

> >>So how do you work a computer?
> >>
> >>Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
> >
> >Although I never use my Mac except for scanning stuff.... See, I'm a Mac
> >loving PC user.
>
> Traitor!
> Heathen!
>
> The Apple Bat Squad is coming to your house to beat you into submission for
> surrendering to the evil that is Microsoft.

[...]

No! No! You misunderstand!

Do you think we poor, tortured souls ~like~ being ruled by the iron
fist of Micro$oft? Do you think we ~enjoy~ having to deal with
amazingly unneccesary complications to do something as simple as
install a CD-ROM drive? Do you actually have the nerve to assume that
we people PREFER WINDOWS OVER THE MACINTOSH OPERATING SYSTEM?! People
like you would sicken me if you didn't do this because you were
unaware of our plight.

We belong to a small group of people who simply ~cannot~ use Macs.
We know that Micro$oft is an evil empire...but can WE help it if
almost every PC game never comes out on Mac, or that the few that
do come out stupidly late? Do you realize that MacQuake came out almost
a YEAR after the PC version? Good God, I don't know how I'd go through
with life if I didn't have my daily Quake fix!

And once you've submitted to Gate$, there's no turning back! We
~couldn't~ go out and cure ourselves if we ~wanted~ to! For one thing,
Macintoshes have that one button mouse...DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW
MADDENING IT CAN BE TO TRY TO GET USED TO THE LACK OF RIGHT-CLICKING?!
Okay, you're in Netscape...so you right-click to swiftly go "back",
right? No, you have to hold ~the~ mouse button down for a full TWO
SECONDS before ANYTHING happens! Wanna go back another five times or
so, as I often find myself doing? YOU HAVE TO HOLD IT DOWN ANOTHER FIVE
TIMES! AAaaAAaAaRrrrRRRRrGGggGgGgGGGgggHHHhhHhHHhhHHh!!! And the
incredibly STUPID Mac setup for doing stuff with the keyboard sucks, too!
In Windows, you can swiftly hit an arrow key a couple times, hit enter,
and you've ~already~ gotten into the program! Is it the same with Macs?
NooooOOOOOooooo! You have to TYPE PART OF THE NAME OF THE PROGRAM, which
can take about SIX KEYSTROKES OR ~MORE~ if you're in a folder with a lot
of similarly-named files, and then hit command-o. COMMAND-O?! MY GOD,
WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!

[gaaaasp, gasp...pant...pant]...Sorry about that...I've never been the
same since I installed my Sound Blaster some time ago...::semi-coherent
muttering about IRQ settings::...now if you'll excuse me, it's time for
my...uh..."medication"...I forgot a dosage on Tuesday, so for this one
I'll have to add some extra whisk...er, ritalin to keep those nerves
settled...

--
JAMEY S POWELL quacky at wilhelp dot com
________________ ____________________________________

"Q: Don't you worry that Quake teaches people that all problems
can be solved by the misuse of deadly force?
A: No."
--The Quake instruction manual, p. 22

"Tifa, I'll give you information Shinra." -Cait Sith
"Shut up, fer God's sake, just...SHUT UP!!" -Max

Tomo1657

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

>>>Yes. Are you stupid, insane, or do you live in a cave?
>>
>>I'm really stupid. I'm truly insane. AND I live in a dark, long cave : )
>
>So how do you work a computer?
>
>Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.

Although I never use my Mac except for scanning stuff.... See, I'm a Mac
loving PC user.

-Tomo: defender of Lenna, AOL, Mr. Uematsu, and his music

Gregory Cook

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

ja...@cwo.com (Keith Adams) wrote:

»In the Age of 7 Jan 1998 03:36:59 GMT, the following

persont...@aol.com
»(Tomo1657) wrote these scribblings:

»
»>>>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?

»>>
»>>Yes. Are you stupid, insane, or do you live in a cave?
»>
»>I'm really stupid. I'm truly insane. AND I live in a dark, long cave :
)
»
»So how do you work a computer?
»
»Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.

LOL!!! Oh man, that's a great line! Gotta copy and paste that right now...

There. #;-}>

--//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\\--
-// Greg "Fox" Cook - Defender/Lover/Soulmate of Tifa Lockheart \\-
-\\ http://www.wco.com/~coolness/ - ftp.wco.com/users/coolness/ //-
-// X-Files/Star Wars/ST:TNG/*U2*/The Who/Tori Amos/Orbital fan \\-
// Official AGFF Procrastinating Keeper of Useless Information \\
\\ Official AGFF Keeper of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary //
-\\ Official AGFF Sex Fiend and All-Around Perverted Studly Man //-
--\\Official AGFF Carrier of GFox Syndrome (please kill me now)//--
--//Third Member of the CTCITL - Keep the Lifestream line alive\\--
-//_____________________________________________________________\\-
-\\ Spoony: Don't they usually have hentai hanging up here?  //-
-// Me: Yes, they usually do, and I'd like to know where it is! \\-
//_______________________________________________________________\\
\\ angry words won't stop a fight,two wrongs won't make it right //
-\\ a  new  heart  is  what  I  need,  oh  God  make  it  bleed //-
--\\ ... is  there  nothing  left...  -- U2 [Like a Song...] //--
--//___________________________________________________________\\--
-// ______  ______    ___ \\-
-\\ ********** |||__||| |||__|||    "._`-. (\-. //-
-//  4000 posts  \/  \/  \/09\/   my '-.`".--.___/ _`> \\-
// on AGFF!!!  (4000)  (POTD)   fennec `"( ) , ) \\
\\ **********   \__/     \__/   fox, Fenneca \\----\-\ //
-\\ ___________________________________________ "" """ //-
--\\___________________________________________________________//--
________
/ \
| Guess | <---- This is the almighty Club of Obviousness.
| who | <---- This will be used in circumstances of extreme
| missed | <---- stupidity and ignorance. Please avoid making
| the | <---- such comments in the future.
| point? |
\ /
\_ _/
\ /
|| I mean it.
(__)

Keith Adams

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

In the Age of 9 Jan 1998 00:39:49 GMT, the following persont...@aol.com
(Tomo1657) wrote these scribblings:

>>>I'm really stupid. I'm truly insane. AND I live in a dark, long cave : )

>>So how do you work a computer?
>>
>>Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
>

>Although I never use my Mac except for scanning stuff.... See, I'm a Mac
>loving PC user.

Traitor!
Heathen!

The Apple Bat Squad is coming to your house to beat you into submission for
surrendering to the evil that is Microsoft.

But that brings up my original question -

So how do you work a computer?

JGilb94744

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

>Subject: Re: Why AOL Sucks
>From: ja...@cwo.com (Keith Adams)
>Date: Thu, Jan 8, 1998 21:58 EST

>>>So how do you work a computer?
>>>
>>>Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
>>
>>Although I never use my Mac except for scanning stuff.... See, I'm a Mac
>>loving PC user.
>
>Traitor!
>Heathen!
>
>The Apple Bat Squad is coming to your house to beat you into submission for
>surrendering to the evil that is Microsoft.

Apple Bat Squad, he he, now I have a new idea for fighting Atma.....

-Gilbe, co-defender of Tifa

Reno

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

On Fri, 09 Jan 1998 01:17:34 GMT, gfox...@rice.edu (Gregory Cook)
wrote:

>ja...@cwo.com (Keith Adams) wrote:
>
>»In the Age of 7 Jan 1998 03:36:59 GMT, the following

>persont...@aol.com
>»(Tomo1657) wrote these scribblings:

>»>>>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?
>»>>
>»>>Yes. Are you stupid, insane, or do you live in a cave?
>»>

>»>I'm really stupid. I'm truly insane. AND I live in a dark, long cave :

>)

>»So how do you work a computer?

>»Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
>

>LOL!!! Oh man, that's a great line! Gotta copy and paste that right now...
>
>There. #;-}>

Reno: Where?
Greg: There.
Reno: Where's there?
Greg: There's where.
Reno: Where?
Greg: There.
Reno: Where's there?
Greg: Where's there.
Reno: Where?
Greg: There.
Reno: Where?
Greg: There's where.
Reno: Where's there?
Greg: There.
Reno: Where?

888 88e ™ __.-----.__.----.__.---._.
888 888D ,e e, 888 8e e88 88e .'E-mail: jdr...@direct.ca ."
888 88" d88 88b 888 88b d888 888b ".AIM: Reno98 -or NeoReno113 :
888 b, 888 , 888 888 Y888 888P ."ICQ: 6904027 ".
888 88b, "YeeP" 888 888 "88 88" "-:.__.---,__.----.__,--.--._.'
/ / / // // // /
Save some Reno for a rainy day / / / / // // / / /
// / / // // / / // /

Got 10 Kain points!
AGFF Fighter Squadron: Su-35 [1]

Fact: Natalia Simionova tastes like strawberries.

!-Quotes--!

"I think it's a joke newsgroup, like alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg."
-Keith Adams

Tomo1657

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

>>>So how do you work a computer?
>>>
>>>Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
>>
>>Although I never use my Mac except for scanning stuff.... See, I'm a Mac
>>loving PC user.
>
>Traitor!
>Heathen!
>
>The Apple Bat Squad is coming to your house to beat you into submission for
>surrendering to the evil that is Microsoft.
>
>But that brings up my original question -
>
>So how do you work a computer?

Ask Gfox or Bob... they know a lot about working on weird stuff...

Gregory Cook

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

tomo...@aol.com (Tomo1657) wrote:

»>>>>I *like* AOL. I *like* MACs. Any questions?
»>>>
»>>>Yes. Are you stupid, insane, or do you live in a cave?
»>>
»>>I'm really stupid. I'm truly insane. AND I live in a dark, long cave :
)
»>

»>So how do you work a computer?

»>
»>Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
»
»Although I never use my Mac except for scanning stuff.... See, I'm a Mac
»loving PC user.

Which only makes you a half-satan-worshipper instead of a full one. #;-}>

Nick Zitzmann

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

In article <34b4810c...@news.cwo.com>, ja...@cwo.com wrote:

:) So how do you work a computer?
:)
:) Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.

In other words, it's a **real** computer, especially when compared to
those outdated-if-Intel-didn't-push-CISC-technology-a-bit-too-far
"computers" that run an antique Microsoft operating system called
"MS-DOS", with graphical shells (read: emulators) called "Windows"...

<;*)

Nick Zitzmann No WWW page at this time.
(Macintosh Forever! PSX Rules!)
"Oh gawd, what a drag!"
- Yuffie (Final Fantasy VII)
For a good time, finger my E-Mail address.
<http://www.technomancer.com/utilities/finger?nick...@eskimo.com>

Nick Zitzmann

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

In article <34B5D0...@wilhelp.com>, "Jamey \"Quacky\" Powell"
<qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote:

:) Do you think we poor, tortured souls ~like~ being ruled by the iron
:) fist of Micro$oft? Do you think we ~enjoy~ having to deal with
:) amazingly unneccesary complications to do something as simple as
:) install a CD-ROM drive? Do you actually have the nerve to assume that
:) we people PREFER WINDOWS OVER THE MACINTOSH OPERATING SYSTEM?! People
:) like you would sicken me if you didn't do this because you were
:) unaware of our plight.

Well, you could use OS/2 or (very soon now) BeOS. They run on PCs and are
superior to any of that stuff that Microsoft tries to push on unsuspecting
buyers.

:) We belong to a small group of people who simply ~cannot~ use Macs.
:) We know that Micro$oft is an evil empire...but can WE help it if
:) almost every PC game never comes out on Mac, or that the few that
:) do come out stupidly late? Do you realize that MacQuake came out almost
:) a YEAR after the PC version? Good God, I don't know how I'd go through
:) with life if I didn't have my daily Quake fix!

And meanwhile, there is a very large group of Mac software which is never
released on the PC. You poor PC users are missing great games like Realmz
and Escape Velocity, among others.

And do you realise that Myst was Mac-first, and was ported to Windows
nearly a year after it was released? Same thing...

:) And once you've submitted to Gate$, there's no turning back! We
:) ~couldn't~ go out and cure ourselves if we ~wanted~ to! For one thing,
:) Macintoshes have that one button mouse...DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW
:) MADDENING IT CAN BE TO TRY TO GET USED TO THE LACK OF RIGHT-CLICKING?!

No. I like my one-button mouse... There's nothing you can do that will not
make me like it.

:) Okay, you're in Netscape...so you right-click to swiftly go "back",
:) right? No, you have to hold ~the~ mouse button down for a full TWO
:) SECONDS before ANYTHING happens! Wanna go back another five times or
:) so, as I often find myself doing? YOU HAVE TO HOLD IT DOWN ANOTHER FIVE
:) TIMES! AAaaAAaAaRrrrRRRRrGGggGgGgGGGgggHHHhhHhHHhhHHh!!! And the

That's because you're supposed to press the Back button, not use
Netscape's idea of contextual menues. That's what it's there for.

:) incredibly STUPID Mac setup for doing stuff with the keyboard sucks, too!
:) In Windows, you can swiftly hit an arrow key a couple times, hit enter,
:) and you've ~already~ gotten into the program! Is it the same with Macs?
:) NooooOOOOOooooo! You have to TYPE PART OF THE NAME OF THE PROGRAM, which
:) can take about SIX KEYSTROKES OR ~MORE~ if you're in a folder with a lot
:) of similarly-named files, and then hit command-o. COMMAND-O?! MY GOD,
:) WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!

Geez, **six** keystrokes? It usually takes me one or two, three at the
most... Talk about exaggerating things... <8*)

:) [gaaaasp, gasp...pant...pant]...Sorry about that...I've never been the
:) same since I installed my Sound Blaster some time ago...::semi-coherent
:) muttering about IRQ settings::...now if you'll excuse me, it's time for
:) my...uh..."medication"...I forgot a dosage on Tuesday, so for this one
:) I'll have to add some extra whisk...er, ritalin to keep those nerves
:) settled...

And if you had a Mac, would you be messing around trying to get hardware
to work? I installed an Ethernet card recently... popped it into my Mac,
turned it on, and was instantly on the network. My neighbor? He installed
an Ethernet card on his PC, and it instantly conflicted with the COM2
port. I'm not sure how he worked around **that** one...

Nick Zitzmann No WWW page at this time.
(Macintosh Forever! PSX Rules!)

"I hunt; therefore, I am."
- James Hetfield

Gregory Cook

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann) wrote:

»No. I like my one-button mouse... There's nothing you can do that will not
»make me like it.

You're insane. I've got a three button mouse, the middle button's a wheel
for scrolling through web pages and documents and folders, and I STILL want
more buttons. #;-}>

Unright

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Gregory Cook wrote:

> nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann) wrote:
>
> »No. I like my one-button mouse... There's nothing you can do that will not
> »make me like it.
>
> You're insane. I've got a three button mouse, the middle button's a wheel
> for scrolling through web pages and documents and folders, and I STILL want
> more buttons. #;-}>

That's odd.. That sounded excatly like the kind of mouse I have...

<Unright walks off dazed and confused..>

- Unright
AGFF Mad Scientist and Keeper of Egos.
Master of Bio, Virus and Poison!
Co-Defender of Relm Pro-term..................
Member of AGFF Fighter Squadron (Stealth Bomber)
Owner of 140 Kain points and one Cow point!
Winner of a flamewar against Cypher!
Mortal enemy of Texas Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower!
Player of "Elk's Revenge"! (on loan to Ralph)
Saved Spoony's life in a fanfic!
Recieved a Double-post-of-the-day nomination from Greg.
Winner of 1 OPotD from Rob and a few from Linda.
Starver of trolls!
,.-----__
ICQ # ,:::://///,:::-.
5804002 /:''/////// ``:::`;/|/
/' |||||| :://'`\
.' , |||||| `/( e \
-===~__-'\__X_`````\_____/~`-._ `.
~~ ~~ `~-'
The Armadillo is proud of her femininity...
______
%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%# |||__|||
ONE THOUSAND POSTS \/ \/
TO ALT.GAMES.FINAL.FANTASY (1000)
%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%# \__/
The Weasel is your friend.
The Weasleel is Ralph's friend.

"Square should put a label on all their games. Like: *WARNING* This game
requires a brain. (brain not included) - Tony Destro
"You're just jealous because the voices in MY head don't talk to YOU." -
J'raxis 270145
"Gee, there's nothing greater then seeing something you said written in
someone else's sig..." - X
"Now go get mounted by a large dog or something..." - Reno

Mary Gifaldi

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Gregory Cook wrote:

> nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann) wrote:
>
> 杰o. I like my one-button mouse... There's nothing you can do that will not
> 沸ake me like it.

> You're insane. I've got a three button mouse, the middle button's a wheel
> for scrolling through web pages and documents and folders, and I STILL want
> more buttons. #;-}>

Ack! You've got an Intellimouse?

This Mac has a trackball the size of a baseball, and four buttons. I
want the one-button mouse!

Keith Adams

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

In the Age of Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:22:50 -0800, the following person"Jamey
\"Quacky\" Powell" <qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote these scribblings:

>Keith Adams wrote:

>> The Apple Bat Squad is coming to your house to beat you into submission for
>> surrendering to the evil that is Microsoft.
>

>[...]
>
>No! No! You misunderstand!

No, I didn't.

You are like the French in WWII.

"The Nazis are coming!"

"Ooooh ... scary. Let's surrender. Yah!"

>Do you think we poor, tortured souls ~like~ being ruled by the iron

>fist of Micro$oft? Do you think we ~enjoy~ having to deal with

>amazingly unneccesary complications to do something as simple as

>install a CD-ROM drive? Do you actually have the nerve to assume that

>we people PREFER WINDOWS OVER THE MACINTOSH OPERATING SYSTEM?! People

>like you would sicken me if you didn't do this because you were

>unaware of our plight.

I'm aware of it. I just choose to mock it.

>We belong to a small group of people who simply ~cannot~ use Macs.

>We know that Micro$oft is an evil empire...but can WE help it if

>almost every PC game never comes out on Mac, or that the few that

>do come out stupidly late? Do you realize that MacQuake came out almost

>a YEAR after the PC version? Good God, I don't know how I'd go through

>with life if I didn't have my daily Quake fix!

So basically, you're a bunch of spineless wimps with the collective
willpower of a mech-addicted hampster?

That does not encourage sympathy with your almost-sorta-worthy cause.

>Snip rants with LOTS and LOTS of CAPS!

>[gaaaasp, gasp...pant...pant]...Sorry about that...I've never been the

>same since I installed my Sound Blaster some time ago...::semi-coherent

>muttering about IRQ settings::...now if you'll excuse me, it's time for

>my...uh..."medication"...I forgot a dosage on Tuesday, so for this one

>I'll have to add some extra whisk...er, ritalin to keep those nerves

>settled...

You need Prozac.

Now.

It'll take your mind off your spinelessness.

Kuibob

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Keith Adams wrote:

> >>So how do you work a computer?
> >>
> >>Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
> >
> >Although I never use my Mac except for scanning stuff.... See, I'm a Mac
> >loving PC user.
>
> Traitor!
> Heathen!

> The Apple Bat Squad is coming to your house to beat you into submission for
> surrendering to the evil that is Microsoft.
>
> But that brings up my original question -
>
> So how do you work a computer?

Well.. not to take sides (though I am <g>)... I'd say he does it a lot
better than you.

Kuibob

Jamey "Quacky" Powell

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> In article <34B5D0...@wilhelp.com>, "Jamey \"Quacky\" Powell"
> <qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote:
>
> :) Do you think we poor, tortured souls ~like~ being ruled by the iron
> :) fist of Micro$oft? Do you think we ~enjoy~ having to deal with
> :) amazingly unneccesary complications to do something as simple as

> :) install a CD-ROM drive? Do you actually have the nerve to assume that
> :) we people PREFER WINDOWS OVER THE MACINTOSH OPERATING SYSTEM?! People
> :) like you would sicken me if you didn't do this because you were
> :) unaware of our plight.
>
> Well, you could use OS/2 or (very soon now) BeOS. They run on PCs and are
> superior to any of that stuff that Microsoft tries to push on unsuspecting
> buyers.

Yeah, but installing OS/2 on a computer instead of buying a Mac grossly
defeats the point -- ever seen an OS/2 version of Red Alert?

> :) We belong to a small group of people who simply ~cannot~ use Macs.
> :) We know that Micro$oft is an evil empire...but can WE help it if
> :) almost every PC game never comes out on Mac, or that the few that
> :) do come out stupidly late? Do you realize that MacQuake came out almost
> :) a YEAR after the PC version? Good God, I don't know how I'd go through
> :) with life if I didn't have my daily Quake fix!
>
> And meanwhile, there is a very large group of Mac software which is never
> released on the PC. You poor PC users are missing great games like Realmz
> and Escape Velocity, among others.

Not really. I have two Mac-toting friends, so whenever I go to their
houses I can usually play a game there for at least a little while.

Besides, I don't need EV; anybody who says that it's better than Star
Control II -- or that SCII isn't better than any sci-fi computer game
on the planet, for that matter -- can expect to have a particular
fanatical Marin resident break into their house holding a meat cleaver
and a keg of rubbing alcohol.

> And do you realise that Myst was Mac-first, and was ported to Windows
> nearly a year after it was released? Same thing...

True, but I hate Myst, so I didn't miss out on a whole lot.

> :) And once you've submitted to Gate$, there's no turning back! We
> :) ~couldn't~ go out and cure ourselves if we ~wanted~ to! For one thing,
> :) Macintoshes have that one button mouse...DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW
> :) MADDENING IT CAN BE TO TRY TO GET USED TO THE LACK OF RIGHT-CLICKING?!
>

> No. I like my one-button mouse... There's nothing you can do that will not
> make me like it.

Good. Then you have not yet even been infected with the first phase of
the disease. May your computer remain pure of the horror.

> :) Okay, you're in Netscape...so you right-click to swiftly go "back",
> :) right? No, you have to hold ~the~ mouse button down for a full TWO
> :) SECONDS before ANYTHING happens! Wanna go back another five times or
> :) so, as I often find myself doing? YOU HAVE TO HOLD IT DOWN ANOTHER FIVE
> :) TIMES! AAaaAAaAaRrrrRRRRrGGggGgGgGGGgggHHHhhHhHHhhHHh!!! And the
>
> That's because you're supposed to press the Back button, not use
> Netscape's idea of contextual menues. That's what it's there for.

Yeah, but I like right-clicking more. And besides, that's just one of
the things the right button helps with -- pressing down your middle
finger is just more convinient than using some modifier key. But then
maybe that's just personal preference.

> :) incredibly STUPID Mac setup for doing stuff with the keyboard sucks, too!
> :) In Windows, you can swiftly hit an arrow key a couple times, hit enter,
> :) and you've ~already~ gotten into the program! Is it the same with Macs?
> :) NooooOOOOOooooo! You have to TYPE PART OF THE NAME OF THE PROGRAM, which
> :) can take about SIX KEYSTROKES OR ~MORE~ if you're in a folder with a lot
> :) of similarly-named files, and then hit command-o. COMMAND-O?! MY GOD,
> :) WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?!
>
> Geez, **six** keystrokes? It usually takes me one or two, three at the
> most... Talk about exaggerating things... <8*)

Well, whatever. I still think using the arrow keys is easier and more
logical, and that you should at least have the ~choice~ of going that
route. And you have to admit that Command-O is sillier than Enter.

Besides, you have to remember that I hadn't yet had my whisk^H^Hritalin
yet, and being hit with a spell of Windoze Addiction Syndrome doesn't
exactly boost one's thought process.

> :) [gaaaasp, gasp...pant...pant]...Sorry about that...I've never been the
> :) same since I installed my Sound Blaster some time ago...::semi-coherent
> :) muttering about IRQ settings::...now if you'll excuse me, it's time for
> :) my...uh..."medication"...I forgot a dosage on Tuesday, so for this one
> :) I'll have to add some extra whisk...er, ritalin to keep those nerves

> :) settled...
>
> And if you had a Mac, would you be messing around trying to get hardware
> to work? I installed an Ethernet card recently... popped it into my Mac,
> turned it on, and was instantly on the network. My neighbor? He installed
> an Ethernet card on his PC, and it instantly conflicted with the COM2
> port. I'm not sure how he worked around **that** one...

Well, I never said that Macs were inferior ~hardware~ wise, you know,
just that I hate the lack/dealy of PC to Mac ports and those one-button
mice. As I said before, I'd be more than happy to snatch a Mac if it
weren't for those little complications.

Jamey "Quacky" Powell

Jan 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/9/98

Keith Adams wrote:

> In the Age of Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:22:50 -0800, the following person"Jamey
> \"Quacky\" Powell" <qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote these scribblings:
>
> >Keith Adams wrote:
>
> >> The Apple Bat Squad is coming to your house to beat you into submission for
> >> surrendering to the evil that is Microsoft.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >No! No! You misunderstand!
>
> No, I didn't.
>
> You are like the French in WWII.
>
> "The Nazis are coming!"
>
> "Ooooh ... scary. Let's surrender. Yah!"

No, I'd say it's more like "The Nazis are coming, and 90% of the
countries in the world, including Russia and the US, are allied with
them!"

ObNitpickDefence: Yes, I'm well aware that Russia and the US were at
war with Nazi Germany. It's just that saying that they weren't doesn't
make for a realistic metaphor.

> >Do you think we poor, tortured souls ~like~ being ruled by the iron

> >fist of Micro$oft? Do you think we ~enjoy~ having to deal with

> >amazingly unneccesary complications to do something as simple as

> >install a CD-ROM drive? Do you actually have the nerve to assume that

> >we people PREFER WINDOWS OVER THE MACINTOSH OPERATING SYSTEM?! People

> >like you would sicken me if you didn't do this because you were

> >unaware of our plight.
>
> I'm aware of it. I just choose to mock it.

Ha. Go play Star Control II, Tomb Raider or Red Alert -- any of them
will do, really -- and then tell me that.

> >We belong to a small group of people who simply ~cannot~ use Macs.

> >We know that Micro$oft is an evil empire...but can WE help it if

> >almost every PC game never comes out on Mac, or that the few that

> >do come out stupidly late? Do you realize that MacQuake came out almost

> >a YEAR after the PC version? Good God, I don't know how I'd go through

> >with life if I didn't have my daily Quake fix!
>

> So basically, you're a bunch of spineless wimps with the collective
> willpower of a mech-addicted hampster?

Well, we're not ~proud~ of it or anything. And besides, you'd have
the willpower of a mech-addicted hampster too if you've been spoiled
like we have. Using Window$ is like having a TV set: People claim that
they're evil and crappy and ninety percent of them is pure, unfiltered
garbage, and they're probably right. Unfortunately, once they get one,
they find that they can't go back, lest they abandon their addiction
to all that excellent programming (double meaning intended). And while
they believe that in a perfect world, they'd be able to do all this
~without~ going out and becoming a slave, it just can't be done the
way things are now.

Of course, then you have people who think there's ~nothing~ wrong with
Windows/TV.

> That does not encourage sympathy with your almost-sorta-worthy cause.
>
> >Snip rants with LOTS and LOTS of CAPS!

What can I say, grumpy, resentful PC addicts who aren't even sure whether
or not they wish things had been different tend to yell a lot.

> >[gaaaasp, gasp...pant...pant]...Sorry about that...I've never been the

> >same since I installed my Sound Blaster some time ago...::semi-coherent

> >muttering about IRQ settings::...now if you'll excuse me, it's time for

> >my...uh..."medication"...I forgot a dosage on Tuesday, so for this one

> >I'll have to add some extra whisk...er, ritalin to keep those nerves

> >settled...
>
> You need Prozac.

If you think that's my number one reason for needing Prozac, you must
not know me very well.

> Now.

That I agree with.

> It'll take your mind off your spinelessness.

Do you go around calling nicotine addicts spineless?

> --
> Keith Adams
> Still in a pretty bad mood
> Defender of the four line sig
> General raving cynical bastard for hire

Oh, that reminds me: For the record, my personal policy on huge .sigs
is that they're only okay if the specific newsgroup they're posted in
doesn't mind them. I also think that the four-line limit is too small,
and that it should be extended to six.

Edwyn

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> In article <34b4810c...@news.cwo.com>, ja...@cwo.com wrote:
>
> :) So how do you work a computer?
> :)

> :) Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
>
> In other words, it's a **real** computer, especially when compared to
> those outdated-if-Intel-didn't-push-CISC-technology-a-bit-too-far
> "computers" that run an antique Microsoft operating system called
> "MS-DOS", with graphical shells (read: emulators) called "Windows"...
>
> <;*)

But FF7 is coming out only on Win95! So HA! <bad spanish accent>
Hahahahahahahahah! I laugh at you, you meddlesome mongrel dog!
Ha! I laugh! Hahahahahahahahahaha! I spit at your Ma-Cin-Tosh!
*Pt-ooie*! Ha! </bad spanish accent>

-Edwyn

--
Master of "Sock with a half-brick in it" technique
and Defender of Cyanspeak
Owner of <the now defunct> GFS Scanner (tm)
AGFF's FF5 Patron Saint

"Ok, I won't tell her. But it's hard to tell her anyway when she's
deflated." -Cherubae, in response to Pigwalk's "Noone tell my
woman ok".

"Duckman we have to go. I need to learn how to awaken the sexual
beast that lies dormant in every woman's soul. Waiting to transform
her into a lusting creature of unbrindled passion. Pulling at me.
Tugging at me. Yelling, "TAKE ME CORNFIELD, MAKE ME YOUR LOVE
SLAVE!!!"..... You know, that sort of thing." -Cornfield, _Duckman_

SI HOC SIGNUM LEGERE POTES, OPERIS IN REBUS LATINIS
ALACRIBUS ET FRUCTUOSIS POTIRI POTES!

Deuch66

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

>This Mac has a trackball the size of a baseball, and four buttons.
>
>--
>Holder of 10 Vincent points.
>Defender of your right to say it!

its not the size of the ball....

Sean Daugherty

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

On or about Fri, 09 Jan 1998 02:39:44 -0800, the accused,
nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann), was spotted saying:

>Well, you could use OS/2 or (very soon now) BeOS. They run on PCs and are
>superior to any of that stuff that Microsoft tries to push on unsuspecting
>buyers.

OS/2 has been going downhill for sometime, and is approaching the Microsoft
level of total annoyance. I haven't seen BeOS, though. I've heard some
promising things.

>And do you realise that Myst was Mac-first, and was ported to Windows
>nearly a year after it was released? Same thing...

This is something worth bragging about? Are we talking about the same Myst?
<G>

I've never liked Macs. They've always felt far too idiot-proof for me, and,
oddly enough, that annoys me. Problem is, I hate Windows 95 just as much,
for similar reasons, and for the annoying factor of constant bugs and other
annoyances. I prefer DOS, for while it is archaic to use and pug-ugly, is
more stable and productive than either the Mac or Windows could ever be.
And Unix and Unix-variants like Linux beat even that out...

I'm a relic of a lost time, I suppose, but I'd rather enter command lines
than click on icons any day. Gives me a better feel of what's going on.

-----
Sean Daugherty (sean...@erols.com)
"Sticks and stones may break my bones | "All software sucks. All hardware
But names can never hurt me | sucks. Linux sucks, MacOS sucks,
I've got my pride and my prejudices | it's just that Windows sucks the
I am what I am and I'm happy to be." | Titanic through a garden hose."
- The Rutles, "Joe Public" | - Nick Holmes
______ ______
|||__||| %#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*? |||__|||
\/ \/ TWO THOUSAND POSTS TO ALT.GAMES.FINAL-FANTASY \/ \/
(2000) RECIPIENT OF BELTHASAR'S POST OF REASON AWARD (BPOR)
\__/ %#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*?%#@*? \__/

Gregory Cook

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

Mary Gifaldi <fgif...@netacc.net> wrote:

»Gregory Cook wrote:
»>
»> nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann) wrote:

»>
»> ŞNo. I like my one-button mouse... There's nothing you can do that will
not
»> Şmake me like it.

»>
»> You're insane. I've got a three button mouse, the middle button's a
wheel
»> for scrolling through web pages and documents and folders, and I STILL
want
»> more buttons. #;-}>
»
»Ack! You've got an Intellimouse?

»
»This Mac has a trackball the size of a baseball, and four buttons. I
»want the one-button mouse!

Yup. I had a cool Logitech three button mouse before, and I still like the
contours of it better, but even though the micrsoft intellimouse doesn't
feel as nice in my hand, the 3rd button/wheel RULES. It's so hard to go
back to not having a wheel.

Nick Zitzmann

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

In article <34c0e365...@news.erols.com>, sean...@erols.com wrote:

:) On or about Fri, 09 Jan 1998 02:39:44 -0800, the accused,
:) nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann), was spotted saying:
:) >And do you realise that Myst was Mac-first, and was ported to Windows
:) >nearly a year after it was released? Same thing...
:)
:) This is something worth bragging about? Are we talking about the same Myst?
:) <G>

Well, if someone ever complains about the infrequency of PC ports to the
Mac, it should be noted that Myst was a Mac-first & Mac-only game for
about a year. Then, it was finally ported (probably by Broderbund, not
Cyan - Cyan's a Mac-only company) to Windows.

:) I've never liked Macs. They've always felt far too idiot-proof for me, and,
:) oddly enough, that annoys me. Problem is, I hate Windows 95 just as much,
:) for similar reasons, and for the annoying factor of constant bugs and other
:) annoyances. I prefer DOS, for while it is archaic to use and pug-ugly, is
:) more stable and productive than either the Mac or Windows could ever be.
:) And Unix and Unix-variants like Linux beat even that out...

I like Linux, but then again, Linux runs on Mac hardware as well... (These
days, Linux runs on just about every kind of hardware that money can buy,
including SPARCstations.)

Problem is, Unix is made mainly for power users & the like. Unix was never
intended to be a general user-friendly kind of operating system
environment, and as such, it will never be as popular as personal-style
OSs.

Nick Zitzmann No WWW page at this time.
(Macintosh Forever! PSX Rules!)

"Oh gawd, what a drag!"
- Yuffie (Final Fantasy VII)

Rob Browning

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann) wrote:
>Well, if someone ever complains about the infrequency of PC ports to the
>Mac, it should be noted that Myst was a Mac-first & Mac-only game for
>about a year. Then, it was finally ported (probably by Broderbund, not
>Cyan - Cyan's a Mac-only company) to Windows.

I always thought that Cyan was a knight that got his family killed by
Kefka.

P.S. See, Kain, that's how an off-topic thread is turned on-topic.

Rob

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ |||__|||
ONE THOUSAND POSTS TO \/ \/
ALT.GAMES.FINAL-FANTASY (1000)
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ \__/

"And I really am a slut." --Bobbenhood

"You are nothing but a soft peice of shit in the face of the
almighty HFW." --RayGun

"Maybe you don't like how you can't win the game just by
banging on the buttons, since it seems that that's all
someone of your intelligence can muster." --Luke Drelick, in
response to an FF hater (You know, I wouldn't be surprised
if an Ultima fanatic uses this against an FF fanatic.)

"Fali, from what I've picked up, Cypher is much like a
regurgitating drunk. He intakes a lot, but what he spews
forth is god-awful." --Bologna Cow

"I AM SUCK!!! BASK IN MY GR$ATNESS!" --Someone in a fanfic
Pigwalk will someday write

"usually I don't make a habit of repling to your Dick-worn ass,
but I needed to vent the excitment that I had from watching
that "lesbian gym-coach rape your mom/sister" movie that you
made." --V. Valentine replying to Cypher

"Unright, foly huck! This is Usenet, not Nondenominational
Gladiators!" --Bologna Cow, replying to flamers of Cypher

"Well I hate Final Fantasy Web TV." --BKnight, replying to a
lamer

"unright, not to burst your bubble, but bragging about beating
cypher in a flamewar is like bragging that you breathe
oxygen." --Spoony

"Cobalt (2+) + Oxygen (2-) + Greg --> gO GreCo" --Bologna Cow
(edited slightly)

"Now, if you wanna be REALLY evil, put 'Curiosity doesn't
kill cats, I do.'" --Bob, referring to Marcus's .sig

"take it from the Cock-king here, you are fucked up. :)" --V.
Val attempting to talk about Coke, but failing miserably

"That's what they said about the Titanic...." --Edwyn, replying
to Greg about his claim that Allison and he will "never break
up"

"Me too. They don't complain when I 'borrow' their money."
--Greg, referring to his like of stupid people

"We don't welcome people back very well, do we? 'Yeah, Piwalk's
back! KILL HIM!'" --Unright

"Isn't Piggy 6 too?" --Bob

"Tifa: AHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEE-- What the fuck!? Where am I?
Mr. Hartwig? Where'd you go!?" --Neo Atma

Edwyn

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

Rob Browning wrote:

> nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann) wrote:
> >Well, if someone ever complains about the infrequency of PC ports to the
> >Mac, it should be noted that Myst was a Mac-first & Mac-only game for
> >about a year. Then, it was finally ported (probably by Broderbund, not
> >Cyan - Cyan's a Mac-only company) to Windows.
>
> I always thought that Cyan was a knight that got his family killed by
> Kefka.
>
> P.S. See, Kain, that's how an off-topic thread is turned on-topic.

No, Cyan is a secondary colour obtained by combining Green and Blue
of the light spectrum.

P.S. And that's how an on-topic thread that was once off-topic, becomes
off-topic again.

-Edwyn

--
Master of "Sock with a half-brick in it" technique
and Defender of Cyanspeak
Owner of <the now defunct> GFS Scanner (tm)
AGFF's FF5 Patron Saint

"Ok, I won't tell her. But it's hard to tell her anyway when she's
deflated." -Cherubae, in response to Pigwalk's "Noone tell my
woman ok".

"Duckman we have to go. I need to learn how to awaken the sexual
beast that lies dormant in every woman's soul. Waiting to transform
her into a lusting creature of unbrindled passion. Pulling at me.

Tugging at me. Yelling, "TAKE ME CORNFED, MAKE ME YOUR LOVE
SLAVE!!!"..... You know, that sort of thing." -Cornfed, _Duckman_

Keith Adams

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

In the Age of Fri, 09 Jan 1998 21:56:16 -0800, the following person"Jamey

\"Quacky\" Powell" <qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote these scribblings:

>Keith Adams wrote:
>>
>> In the Age of Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:22:50 -0800, the following person"Jamey
>> \"Quacky\" Powell" <qua...@wilhelp.com> wrote these scribblings:
>>
>> >Keith Adams wrote:

>> >No! No! You misunderstand!
>>
>> No, I didn't.
>>
>> You are like the French in WWII.
>>
>> "The Nazis are coming!"
>>
>> "Ooooh ... scary. Let's surrender. Yah!"
>
>No, I'd say it's more like "The Nazis are coming, and 90% of the
>countries in the world, including Russia and the US, are allied with
>them!"

Except that they have something of a Maginot Line extending to the Belgium
border - in this case, the fact that Macs can emulate most of what PC's can
do.

And yet they still roll over.

>ObNitpickDefence: Yes, I'm well aware that Russia and the US were at
>war with Nazi Germany. It's just that saying that they weren't doesn't
>make for a realistic metaphor.

Then why not use another metaphor - like, say, the Gulf War (every
firstworld power worth its salt vr. underdeveloped thirdworld country with
technology around 50 years old).

>> >like you would sicken me if you didn't do this because you were
>> >unaware of our plight.
>>
>> I'm aware of it. I just choose to mock it.
>
>Ha. Go play Star Control II, Tomb Raider or Red Alert -- any of them
>will do, really -- and then tell me that.

I'm aware of it. I just choose to mock it.

For the record, I played SC2 when it first came out, although Tomb Raider
came across as rather pedestrian to me.

>>>Snip "we can't use Macs because we like PC games"

>> So basically, you're a bunch of spineless wimps with the collective
>> willpower of a mech-addicted hampster?
>
>Well, we're not ~proud~ of it or anything. And besides, you'd have
>the willpower of a mech-addicted hampster too if you've been spoiled
>like we have. Using Window$ is like having a TV set: People claim that
>they're evil and crappy and ninety percent of them is pure, unfiltered
>garbage, and they're probably right. Unfortunately, once they get one,
>they find that they can't go back, lest they abandon their addiction
>to all that excellent programming (double meaning intended). And while
>they believe that in a perfect world, they'd be able to do all this
>~without~ going out and becoming a slave, it just can't be done the
>way things are now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there emulator programs for Macs? I
understand they slow down the system (duh), but are there any other
problems?

And you could always play on a Playstation or somesuch, rather than submit
to the games on the festering boil on mankind that is Windows.

Yes, I use Windows. Yes, I know it sucks. I just use it because I share a
computer and can't go around screwing with the OS.

>Of course, then you have people who think there's ~nothing~ wrong with
>Windows/TV.

Hey - any medium that produces Homicide redeems itself by that alone.

>> >Snip rants with LOTS and LOTS of CAPS!
>
>What can I say, grumpy, resentful PC addicts who aren't even sure whether
>or not they wish things had been different tend to yell a lot.

Like is Apple had some executives who actually understand the industry and
who learned from the Beta/VHS debacle?

>> You need Prozac.
>
>If you think that's my number one reason for needing Prozac, you must
>not know me very well.

I didn't say it was the number one reason. Just a reason.

>> It'll take your mind off your spinelessness.
>
>Do you go around calling nicotine addicts spineless?

Yes. And Alchoholics who can't stop, and drug addicts.

Because spineless means you lack willpower. And essentially, that's what is
lacking in order to kick an addiction.

And furtheremore, I hardly think video games are legally addictive.

>>Snip my 4-line sig

>Oh, that reminds me: For the record, my personal policy on huge .sigs
>is that they're only okay if the specific newsgroup they're posted in
>doesn't mind them. I also think that the four-line limit is too small,
>and that it should be extended to six.

Why?

The purpose of a sig is to provide ID, not trumpet every neat quote you can
dredge up.

--
Keith Adams

Defender of the four line sig
General raving cynical bastard for hire

"Featuring well-focused bitterness."

t當獅搶猿暗

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:36:06 -0800, Edwyn <ed...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>Rob Browning wrote:
>>
>> nick...@eskimo.com (Nick Zitzmann) wrote:
>> >Well, if someone ever complains about the infrequency of PC ports to the
>> >Mac, it should be noted that Myst was a Mac-first & Mac-only game for
>> >about a year. Then, it was finally ported (probably by Broderbund, not
>> >Cyan - Cyan's a Mac-only company) to Windows.
>>
>> I always thought that Cyan was a knight that got his family killed by
>> Kefka.
>>
>> P.S. See, Kain, that's how an off-topic thread is turned on-topic.
>>

>No, Cyan is a secondary colour obtained by combining Green and Blue
>of the light spectrum.
>
>P.S. And that's how an on-topic thread that was once off-topic, becomes
>off-topic again.
>
>-Edwyn

yah, true. cyan. magenta, and yellow are the subtractive (or
secondary) primary colors and red, green, and blue are the additive
primaries. as i further reel in the off-topic...
________ __ __ __ ___ __ ________
•••••••• o ••••••••••••••• o ••••••••••••••• o •••••
/\_|_/\ A.G.F-F /\_|_/\ deliquent /\_|_/\
/x/ _ _ \x\ ''''''' | | ''''''''' | _ _ |
||= O =|| =/x/O\x\= = O =
\ \ ° / / || ° || /-/x\-\
\| _ |/ \ _ / \ \ / /
| | | | | |
(°°)-(°°) (°°)-(°°) (°°)-(°°)
hear n o kupo see no kupo speak no kupo
/__________________________/__________________________/|
| __ __ __ | __ ||
| __| | /| | /|_|_ ....... | | /| | P O T D ||
| __| |/_| |/_| | P O S T | |/_| | ''''''' ||
|__________________________|__________________________|/

< this sig is determined to be short-ass in length >

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

Edwyn wrote in message <34B73E...@ihug.co.nz>...

>Nick Zitzmann wrote:
>>
>> In article <34b4810c...@news.cwo.com>, ja...@cwo.com wrote:
>>
>> :) So how do you work a computer?
>> :)
>> :) Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
>>
>> In other words, it's a **real** computer, especially when compared to
>> those outdated-if-Intel-didn't-push-CISC-technology-a-bit-too-far
>> "computers" that run an antique Microsoft operating system called
>> "MS-DOS", with graphical shells (read: emulators) called "Windows"...
>>
>> <;*)
>>

>But FF7 is coming out only on Win95! So HA! <bad spanish accent>
>Hahahahahahahahah! I laugh at you, you meddlesome mongrel dog!
>Ha! I laugh! Hahahahahahahahahaha! I spit at your Ma-Cin-Tosh!
>*Pt-ooie*! Ha! </bad spanish accent>

In the words of the Great X, the Macintosh should be renamed to the
Macintrash...

_X_

--
"That's what I love about Usenet. You can be mutilated, maimed, and killed,
but not even know it till a week later."

"Please, leave the thinking (and posting) to people who don't go through the
internet with a remote and a 13 inch black and white TV."
-Atma

"Gotta go! I've got places to see and people to whack. Chow!"
-Edwyn

--- --- %#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%# |||__||| |||__|||
\ / EIGHT HUNDRED POSTS \/ \/ \/ \/
\ / AND ONE POST OF THE DAY (0800) (0001)
/ \ TO ALT.GAMES.FINAL.FANTASY \__/ \__/
/ \ %#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#
--- ---
Proud to Posess the GFS

Keeper of the
_ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ _ ____ _ ____
| |__| [__ |___ |__/ |__/ | |___ | |___
|___ | | ___] |___ | \ | \ | | |___ |___

Beware the 22nd century Earth weapons...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X God of Technology X
X Time Traveler X
X Defender of Aeris X
X Member of the Defenders of AGFF X
X Member of the CTCITL X
X Creator of AGFFH X
X AGFF Air Force Pilot (F-22) X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X AGFF Turks Second in Command X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X Owner of Absolute FF7 X
X http://www.web4free.com/ff7 X
X E-mail: ahm...@email.msn.com X
X AOL IM: NeoLaser X X
X iChat: rude15 X
X ICQ: 5557622 X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Gregory Cook

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

ku...@kupo.net (t·í·à·m·á·t) wrote:

»yah, true. cyan. magenta, and yellow are the subtractive (or

»secondary) primary colors and red, green, and blue are the additive
»primaries. as i further reel in the off-topic...

That's for light, though, isn't it? For pigment, I thought red, blue, and
yellow are the primaries with purple (red and blue), green (blue and
yellow), and orange (yellow and red) being the secondary colors formed by
combining two primaries.

» ________ __ __ __ ___ __ ________

That is a REALLY good 3D signature! The background blocks really accent the
letters and make them more realistic.

--//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\\--

Tomo1657

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

>語ah, true. cyan. magenta, and yellow are the subtractive (or
>製econdary) primary colors and red, green, and blue are the additive
>裴rimaries. as i further reel in the off-topic...

>That's for light, though, isn't it? For pigment, I thought red, blue, and
>yellow are the primaries with purple (red and blue), green (blue and
>yellow), and orange (yellow and red) being the secondary colors formed by
>combining two primaries.

You're talking about light, too. It's all a matter of electro-magnetic
frequencies.

t當獅搶猿暗

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 01:37:15 GMT, gfox...@rice.edu (Gregory Cook)
wrote:

>ku...@kupo.net (t·í·à·m·á·t) wrote:
>
>»yah, true. cyan. magenta, and yellow are the subtractive (or
>»secondary) primary colors and red, green, and blue are the additive
>»primaries. as i further reel in the off-topic...

>That's for light, though, isn't it? For pigment, I thought red, blue, and
>yellow are the primaries with purple (red and blue), green (blue and
>yellow), and orange (yellow and red) being the secondary colors formed by
>combining two primaries.

yeah, thats right. there are the additive primaries and subtractive
primaries. the additives are like light, and the subtractive are
pigments. as for primary and secondary i have heard used
synonymously(sp?) with additive/subtractive. but then again it could
be different. i can't remember my middle school physics that well
ever since the accident... mwa ha ha...

>» ________ __ __ __ ___ __ ________
>
>That is a REALLY good 3D signature! The background blocks really accent the
>letters and make them more realistic.

why thank you! it is one of my few attempts at ascii art. mostly i
stick to the old pen and paper, and even then... :)

________ __ __ __ ___ __ ________

t當獅搶猿暗

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 22:03:05 -0500, "X" <ahm...@email.msn.com> wrote:

>Edwyn wrote in message <34B73E...@ihug.co.nz>...
>>Nick Zitzmann wrote:
>>>
>>> In article <34b4810c...@news.cwo.com>, ja...@cwo.com wrote:
>>>
>>> :) So how do you work a computer?
>>> :)
>>> :) Oh wait - it's a Mac, not a computer.
>>>
>>> In other words, it's a **real** computer, especially when compared to
>>> those outdated-if-Intel-didn't-push-CISC-technology-a-bit-too-far
>>> "computers" that run an antique Microsoft operating system called
>>> "MS-DOS", with graphical shells (read: emulators) called "Windows"...
>>>
>>> <;*)
>>>

>>But FF7 is coming out only on Win95! So HA! <bad spanish accent>
>>Hahahahahahahahah! I laugh at you, you meddlesome mongrel dog!
>>Ha! I laugh! Hahahahahahahahahaha! I spit at your Ma-Cin-Tosh!
>>*Pt-ooie*! Ha! </bad spanish accent>
>

>In the words of the Great X, the Macintosh should be renamed to the
>Macintrash...

amen! the PC people will rule the world! hahahahahhahah... heheh eh
mmmmmm... guys? <crickets chirping>

Gregory Cook

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

tomo...@aol.com (Tomo1657) wrote:

»>
»>That's for light, though, isn't it? For pigment, I thought red, blue, and
»>yellow are the primaries with purple (red and blue), green (blue and
»>yellow), and orange (yellow and red) being the secondary colors formed by
»>combining two primaries.

»
»You're talking about light, too. It's all a matter of electro-magnetic
»frequencies.

Well, I meant emitted light vs. pigments on paper. I obviously know all
color is from EM radiation, but when light is emitted in beam/ray form, as
in CRTs, TVs, etc. etc. red, green, and blue (RGB)are always used, right?
And thus they're called "primary" colors. But if you're in art class, and
you're using pigments to paint with, when light reflects from the paint,
the frequencies that are referred to as "primary" colors are red, YELLOW
(not green), and blue. And since green (though it is my favorite color) is
a mix of blue and yellow pigments, I've always thought of it as a secondary
color, yellow being a primary. I mean, it's this way on all the color
wheels you'll find... I'd like to see a color wheel that has it all for
emitted light as well... interesting.

--//ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\\--

Keith Adams

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

In the Age of Mon, 12 Jan 1998 06:48:58 GMT, the following
perso...@kupo.net (t當獅搶猿暗) wrote these scribblings:

>amen! the PC people will rule the world! hahahahahhahah... heheh eh
>mmmmmm... guys? <crickets chirping>

You're an idiot.

We're too weighed down with people who can't figure out DOS.

--
Keith Adams
Defender of the four line sig
General raving cynical bastard for hire

"I'm not flaming you, I'm educating others."

Gregory Cook

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

ku...@kupo.net (t·í·ŕ·m·á·t) wrote:

»On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 01:37:15 GMT, gfox...@rice.edu (Gregory Cook)
»wrote:
»

»>ku...@kupo.net (t·í·ŕ·m·á·t) wrote:
»>
»>
»>That's for light, though, isn't it? For pigment, I thought red, blue, and
»>yellow are the primaries with purple (red and blue), green (blue and
»>yellow), and orange (yellow and red) being the secondary colors formed by
»>combining two primaries.
»>

»yeah, thats right. there are the additive primaries and subtractive

»primaries. the additives are like light, and the subtractive are
»pigments. as for primary and secondary i have heard used
»synonymously(sp?) with additive/subtractive. but then again it could
»be different. i can't remember my middle school physics that well
»ever since the accident... mwa ha ha...

Ohhhh.. does that have something to do with the fact that the additive
primaries (the light ones) add to white light, but the subtractive
primaries (the pigment ones) add to black paint? I've always thought that
was cool.

Well, we obviously dealt with EM in Physics a bit in High School, but that
was 9th grade for me, and PHYS101/102 freshman year here at Rice didn't get
into light. 101 was all mechanics, and 102, though about Electricity and
Magnetism, was mainly strictly about electric circuits and magnetic fields.
Photoelectric effect a bit... some relativity... but no prisms and "nature
of light" lectures.

Anyway, even in the high school class, we only dealt with prisms and light,
not pigments. So I learned about the light primaries there, and I learned
about the pigment primaries in art classes I had throughout my entire
childhood. I'd heard the terms addititive and subtractive in relation to
color, but I had no idea those were the actual definitions. It's true: you
actually learn something new every day. I didn't learn much in my first day
of classes today, so thanks for teaching me something. #;-}>

t當獅搶猿暗

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:45:33 GMT, gfox...@rice.edu (Gregory Cook)
wrote:
-snip-

>Ohhhh.. does that have something to do with the fact that the additive
>primaries (the light ones) add to white light, but the subtractive
>primaries (the pigment ones) add to black paint? I've always thought that
>was cool.
>
>Well, we obviously dealt with EM in Physics a bit in High School, but that
>was 9th grade for me, and PHYS101/102 freshman year here at Rice didn't get
>into light. 101 was all mechanics, and 102, though about Electricity and
>Magnetism, was mainly strictly about electric circuits and magnetic fields.
>Photoelectric effect a bit... some relativity... but no prisms and "nature
>of light" lectures.
>
>Anyway, even in the high school class, we only dealt with prisms and light,
>not pigments. So I learned about the light primaries there, and I learned
>about the pigment primaries in art classes I had throughout my entire
>childhood. I'd heard the terms addititive and subtractive in relation to
>color, but I had no idea those were the actual definitions. It's true: you
>actually learn something new every day. I didn't learn much in my first day
>of classes today, so thanks for teaching me something. #;-}>

i did? wow, cool. anyway, i learned that stuff early on because
it was something that i was interested in. thats prob. why i'm going
for a major in phys. unfortunately even though i crammed myself full
of science early on, i just didn't do (or like) all the other stuff
like history or english. guess i'm one of those left brainers.
pretty much the sig is the extent of my artistic side. :)

________ __ __ __ ___ __ ________
•••••••• o ••••••••••••••• o ••••••••••••••• o •••••
/\_|_/\ A.G.F-F /\_|_/\ deliquent /\_|_/\
/x/ _ _ \x\ ''''''' | | ''''''''' | _ _ |
||= O =|| =/x/O\x\= = O =
\ \ ° / / || ° || /-/x\-\
\| _ |/ \ _ / \ \ / /
| | | | | |
(°°)-(°°) (°°)-(°°) (°°)-(°°)
hear n o kupo see no kupo speak no kupo
/__________________________/__________________________/|
| __ __ __ | __ _ ||
| __| | /| | /|_|_ ....... | | /| _| P O T D ||
| __| |/_| |/_| | P O S T | |/_||_ ''''''' ||

t當獅搶猿暗

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:10:09 GMT, ja...@cwo.com (Keith Adams) wrote:

>You're an idiot.

very witty, charles dickens

>We're too weighed down with people who can't figure out DOS.

hey, it is one of the simplest OS out there IMO. hell, if i had my
way, people should be required to pass a proficency test before they
could purchase a computer. sure it dosen't have pretty icons or a
nice GUI, but dammit, nither does UNIX (save any x-windows front end
stuff), or even some ancient PDP-20. hell, i still bust out one of
the old school comps. sometimes. the C64 was one of the best. and
there wernt no friggin mouse there! so if you happen to be one of
those people who cannot do anything but point and click, don't throw
no stones in glass NG's. <elephant_man>i am not an idiot, i am a
human being!!!</elephant_man>

Bob, The

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:39:54 GMT, secret agent Bob spoted ku...@kupo.net
(t·í·ŕ·m·á·t) delivering the secret message
<34b9aef0....@news.u.washington.edu> to University of Washington,
a secret organization bent on conquering alt.games.final-fantasy. These
were the contents of that message:

»On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:36:06 -0800, Edwyn <ed...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
»
»>Rob Browning wrote:
»>>
[...]

And speaking of yellow, by breeding two Yellow Chocobos, there is a
chance you could get a Green or Blue Chocobo, which could eventually
lead to you getting KoTR.

The battle is on!

Bob
--
For some odd reason, my ISP wishes that I use a real e-mail address to post. Therefore, the address in the headers is valid, I just never read the messages it gets. So please, if you wish to e-mail me, send it to bob_the_mightyathotmaildotcom. Thank you.

I reserve the right to followup anything I find in alt.fan.longest-thread for no particular reason

If you want to see my great and wonderfull sig go to
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/home_cool/sig.htm. Go there! Now!
Especially if you haven't seen it since 1/6/98!

Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into yours and join the fun!

Please do not feed the Trolls -Bob Gordon's sig

Curiosity? Nah, I got that cat with the lawn mower! -Joe Sacher's sig

Here's some nifty ASCII art I found on rec.humor:

\ _ / .::o:::::.
(\o/) .:::'''':o:.
--- / \ --- :o:_ _:::
>*< `:}_>()<_{:'
>0<@< @ `'//\\'` @
>>>@<<* @ # // \\ # @
>@>*<0<<< __#_#____/'____'\____#_#_
>*>>@<<<@<< [_________________________]
>@>>0<<<*<<@< |=_- .-/\ /\ /\ /\--. =_-|
>*>>0<<@<<<@<<< |-_= | \ \\ \\ \\ \ |-_=-|
>@>>*<<@<>*<<0<*< |_=-=| / // // // / |_=-_|
\*/ >0>>*<<@<>0><<*<@<< |=_- |`-'`-'`-'`-' |=_=-|
__\\U//___ >*>>@><0<<*>>@><*<0<< | =_-| o o |_==_|
\\ | | \\| >@>>0<*<<0>>@<<0<<<*<@<|=_- | ! ( ! |=-_=|
\\| | _(UU)_ >((*))_>0><*<0><@<<<0<*<-,-=| ! ). ! |-_-=|
\ \| || / //||.*.*.*.|>>@<<*<<@>><0<<<((=_| ! __(:')__ ! |=_==|
\\_|_|&&_// ||*.*.*.*|_\\db//__ (\_/)-|/^\=^=^^=^=/^\| _=_|
"""|'.'.'.|~~|.*.*.*| ____|_ =('Y')=//,------------.
|'.'.'.| ^^^^^^|____|>>>>>>| ( ~~~ )/(((((((())))))))
~~~~~~~ '""""`------' `w---w` `------------'

The false e-mail address of the day is: ha...@niceday.net

Gregory Cook

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

ku...@kupo.net (t·í·ŕ·m·á·t) wrote:

»On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:45:33 GMT, gfox...@rice.edu (Gregory Cook)

Well, I've always been interested in phsyics, too. But mainly quantum,
nanoscale, subatomic particle physics (the really really small stuff) and
astrophysics and astronomy (the really really big stuff). I guess I could
be majoring in nanoscale technology now that the guys who got the Nobel
Prize for discovering the Buckyball and Buckytube (which is the material of
the future, BTW, 100 times stronger than steel, but not as bulky... make a
cable out of a bunch of the little carbon tubes and you get a great
material for space-applications like an elevator to space (would cost 100
times less what it costs now to get things into orbit))

Anyway, now that they've got their own building, there are a lot of
resources here. But I'm a little more interested in the astrophysics, which
is why I dabble in it a little while trying to become an aerospace
engineer. I'm beginning to doubt whether I'll ever get my degree, though,
things are getting so damned hard, and I haven't gotten my grades back from
the fall semester, but I'm really dreading my dad's reaction. (sigh)

Keith Adams

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

In the Fronrdian Age of the Illuminate, at Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:12:57 GMT, the
following "person/giant duck" ku...@kupo.net (t當獅搶猿暗) insulted everyone's
intelligence by saying:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:10:09 GMT, ja...@cwo.com (Keith Adams) wrote:
>>
>>You're an idiot.
>
>very witty, charles dickens
>
>>We're too weighed down with people who can't figure out DOS.
>
> hey, it is one of the simplest OS out there IMO. hell, if i had my
>way, people should be required to pass a proficency test before they
>could purchase a computer. sure it dosen't have pretty icons or a
>nice GUI, but dammit, nither does UNIX (save any x-windows front end
>stuff), or even some ancient PDP-20. hell, i still bust out one of
>the old school comps. sometimes. the C64 was one of the best. and
>there wernt no friggin mouse there! so if you happen to be one of
>those people who cannot do anything but point and click, don't throw
>no stones in glass NG's. <elephant_man>i am not an idiot, i am a
>human being!!!</elephant_man>

Let me explain this very carefully.

The first line was sarcasm, obviously.

The second line implies ("we're too weighed down") indicates I feel people who
can't figure out DOS are incompetent. Now, few people would consider
themselves a "weight" to be lifted, hence I proabably know DOS. Which I do. I
used it for 4 years, got windows, and still used DOS for all non-internet
related items for about 3 years. I like DOS.

kk...@globalserve.net

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

> The second line implies ("we're too weighed down")
> indicates I feel people who
> can't figure out DOS are incompetent. Now, few people
> would consider
> themselves a "weight" to be lifted, hence I proabably know
> DOS. Which I do. I
> used it for 4 years, got windows, and still used DOS for
> all non-internet
> related items for about 3 years. I like DOS.

I can't believe they killed all good versions of DOS
after 6.22. They shouldn't have fucked up DOS by inventing
DOS 7.00. Sure, go ahead and do Win95... just don't screw
DOS over....

--
___ \ / /\
/-|rcana |he |uffie \ layer

Edwyn

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Yes, green bananas always taste better than yellow ones for some
reason.

-Edwyn

--
Master of "Sock with a half-brick in it" technique
and Defender of Cyanspeak
Owner of <the now defunct> GFS Scanner (tm)
AGFF's FF5 Patron Saint

"Ok, I won't tell her. But it's hard to tell her anyway when she's
deflated." -Cherubae, in response to Pigwalk's "Noone tell my
woman ok".

"Duckman we have to go. I need to learn how to awaken the sexual
beast that lies dormant in every woman's soul. Waiting to transform
her into a lusting creature of unbrindled passion. Pulling at me.
Tugging at me. Yelling, "TAKE ME CORNFED, MAKE ME YOUR LOVE
SLAVE!!!"..... You know, that sort of thing." -Cornfed, _Duckman_

"Ahhhh! What better way to take out your frustration at your
inability to solve quantum mechanics problems than by slapping the
hell out of someone who needs it? :)" -Kain

"Thanks to your leadership, I've gone from being unmotivated
to being inert. I think I'm advancing to the next phase. Hello,
rigor mortis!! Take me, I'm ready!!" -Dilbert, _Dilbert_

DIE DULCI FRUERE

t當獅搶猿暗

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 23:50:17 GMT, ja...@cwo.com (Keith Adams) wrote:

>Let me explain this very carefully.
>
>The first line was sarcasm, obviously.

oops, i took it wrong. sorry:)

>The second line implies ("we're too weighed down") indicates I feel people who
>can't figure out DOS are incompetent. Now, few people would consider
>themselves a "weight" to be lifted, hence I proabably know DOS. Which I do. I
>used it for 4 years, got windows, and still used DOS for all non-internet
>related items for about 3 years. I like DOS.

ok ok ok. it just comes with being a 'PC' person as opposed to a MAC
person i suppose. like apples and oranges. each seem to be very
defensive of their own respective systems. (and you know how much the
apples hate the oranges!) i personally prefer the text based OS in
general. but i still think people should take a proficiency test. :)
my mistake. i took it wrong. teaches me to skim through a message
and reply.

Tomo1657

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

>» ________ __ __ __ ___ __ ________

>That is a REALLY good 3D signature! The background blocks really accent the
>letters and make them more realistic.

WOW!!! I had the Japanese SJIS support on, and there's a bunch of "Fuu" (as in
"stop", "curse", "seal") characters.

Tomo1657

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

X3Pariah3X

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

And yet another reason why AOL sucks:

I was posting messages when i got this message: AOL SubSystem Rebooting. Few
minutes later, i get another message about the reboot. I get kicked off the
newsgrups and can't go back on for like 10 minutes..not to mention losing my
bleeping post...argh... im pissed... hey Edwyn..come here... <unsheaths Ultima
Paddle>...

___________ ____
\......... _ \ ____ \..... \
\ŻŻ/.... // /\\ ... //ŻŻŻ\ /... /\
Ż/... Ż / /.. /\Ż\__ /\ /.. _ŻŻŻ\
/.. /\ŻŻŻ \/. / / Ż\__\//. /\/. /\
/. \ /ŻŻ /____\/ /____/ /____\/
\ŻŻŻŻŻ \ \_____\ \____\/ \ ____\
ŻŻŻŻŻŻ
The Pariah
<you try fitting all the letters in that ASCII>

Master of Goldeneye 007
Breaking out of lurker status sure is hard..
"Intelligence is like underwear. We all should have it but
we shouldn't show it off." - James Dent
AOL IM: X3Pariah3X
___
ŻŻŻ
Ultima Paddle <sound effect>*thwack*</sound effect>