Enchanter blues...

Jo

Apr 6, 2001, 9:25:53 AM4/6/01
When I created my Enchanter alt, I loved him right away from level 1,
and started even playing him more than my main, mellee, character. Of
course, I heard all about older Enchanters telling me how we
Enchanters are usually the first in a party to die, but I never really
seen how it could be (heck, we just have to mez or root, tashan and
mem blur !).
Now, approaching level 20, I ventured in Unrest last night. And then I
knew. And I'm now a quite depressed Enchanter.
Don't get me wrong, I've been in train station-dungeons before with my
main, and I understand how dungeon playing is different from open
zones, and how it makes you learn quick to work in groups.
But then as an Enchanter, I though I will shine in such situations
with my AoE Mez spell...
Yeah, next player dies again !
Here is how it goes : puller comes back with a bad pull (hey, we're in
Unrest !). I tell everybody to /assist the main tank. Cast AoE Mez
(AkA "The Father of All Taunts") as quickly as I can (no time to
Tashan all mobs first)... some resist, some are mezed. I try to time
mez so I can renew it before it breaks (not a simple task since I
can't really know how long it will stick). While they're mezed, I
tashan them all.
Eventually, one or two will break mez and rush on me. No time to gate,
run, mem blur or mez again. Calling up the group to help. They're
quite busy. I die. Rinse, repeat.
So, how do veteran Enchanters handle those situations ? Do they AoE
mez, then tashani all mobs and then mem blur each of them to be safe ?
This would work, but would also be quite a mana sink... and I could
not then Languid Pace the mobs and keep the tanks Quickened too.

So, am I too clumsy and too dumb to play an Enchanter, or is this just
the way it is when you learn the job and go in train stations for the
first time with an Enchanter ?

Jo. (depressed level 19 Enchanter).

Jim Sackman

Apr 6, 2001, 9:34:28 AM4/6/01

Jo,

Unrest just is horrible for stuff like this. I will only do this with
SoW. When they start to aggro, hit my "Train" shout social and run like
h*ll.

Your experience is in general the same if you try to mez them one at a
time. They say "Holy cow an enchanter, lets get him first".

Got to let the tanks engage first for sure and I have not found a good
cure for the times (not all of them) when the entire pull aggros on me.

Cames
23rd Enchanter
Vazzelle

"Jo" <news...@netcourrier.com> wrote in message

tweek

Apr 6, 2001, 9:42:00 AM4/6/01
"Jo" <news...@netcourrier.com> wrote in message
> So, am I too clumsy and too dumb to play an Enchanter, or is this just
> the way it is when you learn the job and go in train stations for the
> first time with an Enchanter ?

Keep your AE stun spell up (color flux). Send off your AE mez, if some
resist, try it again.

If you get agroed and 1 or more start beating on you, ae stun, and then
single mez them.

I find enthrall is less reistable than your ae mez.

AE stun gets you out of most situations, and at very least gives you enough
time to root them or get a head start.

Also get your cleric to back you up. Their stuns and roots will save your
life, and be sure to tell the tanks that if you die, they will probably die
too :)

Tweek
--

"In my mind, I envision a world without cheating, without hate, without war.
And then I imagine us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Mgiordano

Apr 6, 2001, 8:49:09 AM4/6/01
Jo wrote:

> When I created my Enchanter alt, I loved him right away from level 1,

> and started even playing him more than my main, mellee, <snip>

Jo,

I play a melee type and let me tell you. I hate Unrest. It is hard for me
to do my job there to protect the casters in situations like you mention.
The exp is good, but the overpulls, trains, and add-ons can be
frustrating. I think the only thing to have is good communication and to
just keep working on it. Any zone where you have mid teen characters
hunting with upper 30 and 40 in the same zone is just bound to be
frustrating. I would suggest two possible options there. One is the old
stand by. Find a place on the wall and be cautious pulling. The other is
to try a room of one or two and make sure to watch for trains and
add-ons.

Sounds to me like your doing your job though. Keep it up, and just
remember that Unrest is a hell-hole zone no matter where you fight there.

-oak-

Jason Burgoyne

Apr 6, 2001, 10:24:33 AM4/6/01
Please keep in mind as you read this, I stopped playing my enchanter 18
months ago, but this is how I did some things or would use some of the new
game mechanics.

First, as I understand it, a creature that is already Mezed will have a
higher chance of being re-mezed. Atleast I found that to be the case.
Hence, after you tashan the mobs, recast your AE Mez. Don't know it this
changed but the AE will not overwrite/reset the individual one.

10 hotkeys. This has to be one of the best additions for enchanters. Get
used to casting spells using the keyboard, yoru mouse is needed for
targeting. Also, I would suggest having a special set of spells and
socials set up on one of the hotkey pages, just for dungeons. Here are
the 10 I would keep on there.

Spell Book
AE Mez
Tashan
Mez
Laguid
Root
AE Stun
/groupsay One on me, %t
/groupsay Many on me
/groupsay Run /shout Train to zone

The groupsay one on me, %t - I like the %t to tell the taunter who to
taunt, but some people think the extra targeting step is too much. Also
you can replace the AE Stun with /groupsay Need heal, please

In zones with lag that one is very important, as your hps drop FAST and
the cleric might not notice in time, and a shaman or druid will have
trouble out healing 3 or 4 mobs hitting you.

Hope this helps.

I'm thinking of starting an ENC on my current server, so please let me
know if this idea appeals to you.

Tuls 41 Shaman

d...@badplace.net

Apr 6, 2001, 12:12:16 PM4/6/01
My enchanter spend quite a bit of time in unrest, exclusivly from 19 to
27 and then off and on to about lvl 29. Yes I died a few times, but
really learned to run an enchanter in the process. I'd recommend you
hang in there, it is a hoot and a good learning experience.

I also used my AoE mezz there quite a bit, but it was also during this
time I put it away also. Your single target mezz will be your workhorse
here, it lasts longer, (I cant remember the names of the 19-24 lvl mezz,
it was a long time ago). If there was a crowd I'd mezz the lot, and
single target mezz the left overs. If one jumped me, I would keep trying
to mezz, if I had a crowd on me, I'd head for the zone.

Contrary to what some people on this newsgroup may say, be very careful
about using color flux here, (as well as other dungeons). The effect
goes thru walls/ceilings/floors and you can bring the house down on you.
Use it only if you need to get away to zone, (and let people know you
are pulling a monster train).

Hmmm tahani, well if you have the time go ahead. But in massivly
chaotic areas like unrest I usually try to hold back, keeping my
attention on the mezzed mobs, and watching for adds. Party composition
is very important, if we are composed of mainly casters, tashani away,
melee classes, hold back. But I see it as maily a time and attention
thing, I will explain my approach in a bit.

I kept one of the whirl spells handy, they help quite a bit on the
casters.

In dungeon situations, I put away my int items and pull out my
charisma stuff, I want my charisma as high as I can get it. Since I have
clarity, (or breeze) I am not so concerned about total mana. Rarily do I
apply a dd or dot, I try to keep my mana at a nice even level, mezz,
mezz, watch, watch, and more mezzing when needed.

Oh finally, be sure to recognize and find good groups, that understand
or can be made to understand what you are doing. I have died more than a
few time when people swatted or blasted mezzed mobs in the middle of a
battle.

Jo <news...@netcourrier.com> wrote:
: Here is how it goes : puller comes back with a bad pull (hey, we're in

Dan Harmon

Apr 6, 2001, 12:27:40 PM4/6/01

"Jo" <news...@netcourrier.com> wrote in message

AE mez lasts 24 seconds unless broken. Keep an clock/watch nearby with a
second hand.

Unrest is hell unless you have an experienced guide and puller. This is
rare, so the zone is hell.

At level 20 you'll get your 2nd AE stun (assuming you have the pages...it's
research only). Just for the sake of example, let's say you memmed your
first AE stun in slot 1, and your second in slot 2.

Create a hotbutton that says:
/cast 1
/cast 2

Use that hotbutton instead of the individual stun spells. If 1 is
available, it'll cast that. If it isn't, it'll cast 2.

This is how you get things under control:
Stun
Stun
Mez
Stun
Stun
Mez
Repeat as often as necessary to put them all to sleep. IF POSSIBLE, use
single-target mez...your level 16 mez lasts 36 seconds instead of the AE mez
24 seconds. Doesn't sound like much but it helps a LOT. AE mez is mostly
for mistakes (bad pulls, bad planning, etc).

ALWAYS HAVE SINGLE TARGE MEZ MEMMED. Let me reword that: NO MATTER WHAT,
HAVE SINGLE TARGET MEZ MEMMED. I don't CARE if you're planning on being in
town the rest of the night...have that sucker memmed. The one time you
drop it for, say, your AC buff is the time you'll forget to mem it and get
attacked by something blue, white or yellow that you'd normally just laugh
at and stun stun mez to escape.

Staying alive is easier when you get that 2nd stun spell. At your level
it'll also be easier because at 20 you also get Illusion: Troll with the
added regen effect.

My enchanter is level 51.

no one

Apr 6, 2001, 12:34:00 PM4/6/01
Don't give up! The situation you describe is an exception for your level.
Unrest is very good exp but has its downfalls because of the aggro ranges
and inherrent bugs that are there as well, Castle Mistmoore is very similar.
The AoE mez is a train breaker and can save the party in an awkward
situation, it is also very useful for evacs i.e. it has gone all horribly
wrong, evac is called, you stand on the Wizzy/Druid colour flux and then AE
mez, sure you mez yourself but it gives those added valuable seconds for the
evac to kick in.

For Unrest and any other swarms I found that it is better to single mez
using Enthrall. Training your group to interact correctly with an Enchanter
is the first hurdle. Time after Time I died becuase the different party
members were attacking the mobs I have mezzed and they sure hate you for
messing with their minds which is why it is so difficult for tanks to pull
them off you. I have a hot key for mez along the lines of /gsay Mezzing a
%t. Do not attack it. The Ae mez has too many resists, especially if your
CHA is low.

Stay cool and calm like the group GOD you WILL become. Step back and take
stock of the situation (about 1 second should be sufficient :p )and don't
panic. Sure you can and unfortunately will die at times. If need be move
around a little and target the ones that are not targetted by the tanks.
Cast Enthrall. Most of the times the NPC hates the tanks so much they will
ignore if resisted and carry on beating on the tank. Once the targets needed
are mezzed then Tashan them to give less chance of them breaking. By this
time the first Mob should be dead and the next target chosen. Make them back
up a little, better to train them to auto do this and then re mez the
already mezzed remaining Mobs. as each Mob is enthralled the damage to your
tanks is lessened so the situation will ease giving your healers an easier
time on life support. Concentrate soley on the crowd control and dont debuff
what they are fighting until the time comes when there are only 2 or three
remaining and then mana permitting debuff etc.

If you party regularly with friends then it is good practise to go to a low
mob camp like the goblin camps in butcher block and have your tank create a
train and practise your skills. I have posted a guide to chanter kiting in
this group which was flamed as all posts seem to. My guide is for you to
increase your levels and power quickly but you must always practise your art
as it becomes the only thing you do later on in the deep dark dungeons of
Kunark etc. Enchanters start life soling like all others but depend on
grouping later more so than others.

Also as an Enchanter at high levels you will have a lot of invites to
participate in raids performed by guilds that you are not a member of so
have more opportunity for adventure.

Hope this is of use

Always remember if in doubt RUN!! lol

Jontom Merrywether, Xegony

Dan Harmon

Apr 6, 2001, 1:46:19 PM4/6/01

<d...@badplace.net> wrote in message

> Contrary to what some people on this newsgroup may say, be very careful
> about using color flux here, (as well as other dungeons). The effect
> goes thru walls/ceilings/floors and you can bring the house down on you.

Yeah, forgot about that in Unrest...it's really unsafe unless you're
outside.

The AE spells work fine in most dungeons though...but I do recommend you ask
another enchanter in any new dungeon before casting them.

Keelhauler

Apr 6, 2001, 4:11:17 PM4/6/01
> Eventually, one or two will break mez and rush on me. No time to gate,
> run, mem blur or mez again. Calling up the group to help. They're
> quite busy. I die. Rinse, repeat.

The other advice here is great, but I'll add a slightly different
angle. An enchanter doing crowd control does well with a healer keeping
an eye on them. And it helps if the enchanter doesn't try to be a
hero. Adapt to your group, if they won't help then you will have to
change your tactics to stay alive.

Here's an example: Puller brings 5 mobs, likely more than the enchanter
or cleric can survive hits from. The enchanter does single mezzes. If
some of the mezzes break that might mean 2 mobs on the enchanter. Since
the enchanter is getting hit the cleric heals the chanter. Now those
mobs are on the cleric. So the enchanter mezzes them to save the
cleric's butt and all the mobs are now either mezzed or on the tanks.
The cleric's first responsibility is to keep the chanter alive. The
chanter's first responsibility is to keep mobs off the cleric. If you
want to get really fancy, the cleric can mem their level 5 stun and use
it to give the chanter more time to mez. Neither of those spells will
break the other. When the tank is about ready to hit the next mob to
unmez it and start fighting, have them taunt before they hit, so the mob
doesn't jump the chanter.

Ok, suppose that doesn't work because the cleric ignores you and lets
you die. Change your tactics a bit more. When the puller pulls, wait
for the tank to swing a couple times, then assist them and cast a long
stun. Wait to cast mezzes until the cleric has healed the first time,
then use a mez followed by a mem blur. That may not be as efficient,
but should keep the mobs off you completely and keep you alive.

> When I created my Enchanter alt, I loved him right away from level 1,

Me too. Either get in a good group that will keep you alive or adapt to
your group, and you'll keep on loving your enchanter.

Tim Smith

Apr 7, 2001, 12:21:41 AM4/7/01
Jason Burgoyne <jason.b...@bms.com> wrote:
>socials set up on one of the hotkey pages, just for dungeons. Here are
>the 10 I would keep on there.
>
>Spell Book

No need for this one, since you can map the spell book to a regular
command. I believe by default it is mapped to control-B.

>AE Mez
>Tashan
>Mez
>Laguid
>Root
>AE Stun
>/groupsay One on me, %t
>/groupsay Many on me
>/groupsay Run /shout Train to zone
>
>The groupsay one on me, %t - I like the %t to tell the taunter who to
>taunt, but some people think the extra targeting step is too much. Also
>you can replace the AE Stun with /groupsay Need heal, please

Might also add a "/groupsay %t mezed, do not attack it!".

--Tim Smith

Shane

Apr 7, 2001, 11:58:50 PM4/7/01
Here is how I rarely died.
Dont bother with AE mez, just stick with single target
and when those assholes tell you how to play your class, because they have a
big bad *insert random numbers* enchanter, tell them to fuck off.

Dont bother with AE mez, just gets you killed. Single target, and make sure
you dont try to mez what theyre hitting

--

<LINKDEAD> [50 Enchanter] Fabno Licious (Erudite)

Jo

Apr 8, 2001, 8:42:26 AM4/8/01
On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:58:50 GMT, "Shane"
<shan...@remove-this.home.com> wrote:

>Dont bother with AE mez, just gets you killed. Single target, and make sure
>you dont try to mez what theyre hitting

Seems to be the safest solution with bad groups (well, short of
leaving the group, anyway). But I love AoE Mez and its 5 or 6 lines of
"xxx has been mezmerised" in a row. Guess I will, like a previous
poster said, always keep both single and AoE mez memed, and use them
according the situation. Enthrall does last longer anyway (in good
groups, again).

Thanks all for your information and support !

Jo.

Joe D

Apr 9, 2001, 12:36:44 PM4/9/01
Shane <shan...@remove-this.home.com> wrote:
> Dont bother with AE mez, just gets you killed. Single target, and make sure
> you dont try to mez what theyre hitting

I have to agree with this. I don't even keep AoE mez memmed.

While it works really well, and stops everyone cold, you can't overwrite it
with single mez, and (most importantly) it wears off on all of the mobs
simultaneously.

So you suddenly have 4 or 5 mobs all wake up, who all hate you. Not a good
situation.

AE stun and single mez.

Joe D
--
Sequiturs: one floor up
Nonsequiturs: close cover before bowling

Dan Harmon

Apr 9, 2001, 6:58:36 PM4/9/01

"Joe D" <jo...@cws.org> wrote in message

> Shane <shan...@remove-this.home.com> wrote:
> > Dont bother with AE mez, just gets you killed. Single target, and make
sure
> > you dont try to mez what theyre hitting
>
> I have to agree with this. I don't even keep AoE mez memmed.
>
> While it works really well, and stops everyone cold, you can't overwrite
it
> with single mez, and (most importantly) it wears off on all of the mobs
> simultaneously.
>
> So you suddenly have 4 or 5 mobs all wake up, who all hate you. Not a
good
> situation.
>
> AE stun and single mez.

Eh. When you have 4 critters on you and you don't have great healing behind
you (happens enough times that it's hardly rare), Stun, stun, AE Mez when
you have 4 critters beating on you can be a life saver.

Chances are you won't get all of them. For that you stun, stun, mez the
left-overs (if 1 or 2) one at a time with your nice, long mez. With some
luck you won't have more than 1 or 2 left to put back to sleep when the AE
breaks.

Or, an alternative that I'm not that fond of but I've used, just keep
casting AE Mez every 15 seconds or so...the chances of ANY critter resisting
all those mezzes aren't common...and for those you can put back to sleep
with a single-target.

But AE mez is an emergency spell...no doubt about that. If you have to cast
it often either you don't have the skill it takes to be an enchanter or it's
time to fire your puller.

Doug McNaught

Apr 10, 2001, 1:31:50 AM4/10/01
"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> writes:

> But AE mez is an emergency spell...no doubt about that. If you have to cast
> it often either you don't have the skill it takes to be an enchanter or it's
> time to fire your puller.

Or you're in Unrest.

-Doug

Dan Harmon

Apr 10, 2001, 9:13:21 AM4/10/01

"Doug McNaught" <do...@tc.net> wrote in message

LOL well, that's true and it's false. If you're in the house, AE ANYTHING
will get you killed. But outside, with all those damned beetles that stick
their nose into fights it DOES come in handy.

Doug McNaught

Apr 11, 2001, 12:21:51 AM4/11/01
"Dan Harmon" <deha...@bigfoot.com> writes:

Both true, but what I really meant is that overpulls in Unrest (in the
house) are very hard to avoid, so it's not necessarily your puller's fault.

Had an enchantress pull out her AE mez (on Rallos!) because we got a
huge pull in the round room downstairs. As the monk (I either
resisted or was outside the range of the spell, I don't remember) I
got to go whack the other party members and wake them up. We all
survived; she was the best enchanter I've ever grouped with and I
can't remember her name...

-Doug

Charles Truett

Apr 20, 2001, 11:14:56 AM4/20/01
"Jo" <news...@netcourrier.com> wrote in message
That is exactly what I do when grouping and it seems to work pretty well.
My spell line up looks something like this:

Tashani
Color Flux
Color Shift
Enthrall
Mesmerisation
Enstill
Languid Pace (usually if there is no shaman)

The last one (or 2 if there is a shaman) I swap out depending on the
situation. They could be buffs depending on if it is downtime or they ould
be Mem. Blur and Beguile if we are fighting. Just depends on what is needed
and the area we are in.

Charles

Bryan Youmans

Apr 20, 2001, 11:34:28 AM4/20/01

Charles Truett wrote:

> "Jo" <news...@netcourrier.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:58:50 GMT, "Shane"
> > <shan...@remove-this.home.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Dont bother with AE mez, just gets you killed. Single target, and make
> sure
> > >you dont try to mez what theyre hitting
> > Seems to be the safest solution with bad groups (well, short of

Old enchanter trick: with AE mezz, you target your main tank and cast on
him. This catches all the critters in the target radius without them
being angry at you should the spell be resisted. Obviously, this is for
blue servers (not familiar with pvp+ servers, but I would imagine your
tank would not like being mezzed, even if it is broken quickly
thereafter).

While I agree that I prefer and use single target mezz where possible,
AE mezz is hardly worthless. It has saved my group untold times. I never
go into a dungeon without it memmed.