damage cap (again)

SuperSizeMe

Apr 26, 2001, 11:08:07 AM4/26/01
Ok, I'm a little slow... I know this topic has been talked about, but the
old msgs are gone from my news server, and I'm approaching the magic lvl 20.

Explain how the dmg cap will affect me once I hit 20 (and beyond)?

Using a shiny brass halberd that hits for 16 now, I can usually do high 20's
and some hits go for 32. Once I hit 20, how will the damage change? What
about beyond 20.

thanks again for this discussing this overdiscussed topic.

jaZZmanian Devil

Apr 26, 2001, 11:53:38 AM4/26/01
SuperSizeMe wrote:

> Ok, I'm a little slow... I know this topic has been talked about, but the
> old msgs are gone from my news server, and I'm approaching the magic lvl 20.
>
> Explain how the dmg cap will affect me once I hit 20 (and beyond)?
>
> Using a shiny brass halberd that hits for 16 now, I can usually do high 20's
> and some hits go for 32. Once I hit 20, how will the damage change? What
> about beyond 20.

Not sure about the difference between specific weapons and individual player
stats, but the difference was huge when I finally got to experience it. All the
way through 19, with my two handed weapon, (Crystallized 2H Sword, 24/48) I
seemed to be doing a max of 29, with the occasional critical hit in the 50's.
As soon as I dinged 20 I started doing some normal hits in the 50's, (40's more
common) and I've had a crit as high as 97. Quite the shocking and pleasantly
surprising difference.
The difference on my dual weilded langesax was far less noticeable, as I
think I was already doing nearly the maximum damage they were capable of prior
to making lvl 20.
--
Jakys Lv'Tyrr, the Mad Monk of Qeynos
Monk of 24 Seasons, Silent Fist

Crying Freeman

Apr 26, 2001, 12:53:41 PM4/26/01

SuperSizeMe <ne...@avaya.com> wrote in message

> Ok, I'm a little slow... I know this topic has been talked about, but the
> old msgs are gone from my news server, and I'm approaching the magic lvl
20.

> Explain how the dmg cap will affect me once I hit 20 (and beyond)?
>
> Using a shiny brass halberd that hits for 16 now, I can usually do high
20's
> and some hits go for 32. Once I hit 20, how will the damage change? What
> about beyond 20.

After 20 your cap is removed, your damage will rise steadily with the skill
increase in your weapon.
Eg

At 20 you can hit for about 51/52 with a Exe Axe (dam 25) max (str will play
some part but lets assume your str is <130)
At 30 you can hit for about 80 with the same weapon

CF

Eq Caster

Apr 26, 2001, 12:59:43 PM4/26/01
The damage cap by what I can tell below level 20 is 2 times the damage of
the weapon max. After level 20 you will average 2-2.5 times the damage of
the weapon and peak at the max output for the weapon. www.castersrealm.com
has a good weapon breakdown for max speed and damage. I do not know how
accurate the formula is just a guess from my exp with my Monk and Pally.

Dan Day

Apr 26, 2001, 2:40:24 PM4/26/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:08:07 GMT, "SuperSizeMe" <ne...@avaya.com> wrote:
>Explain how the dmg cap will affect me once I hit 20 (and beyond)?
>
>Using a shiny brass halberd that hits for 16 now, I can usually do high 20's
>and some hits go for 32. Once I hit 20, how will the damage change? What
>about beyond 20.

http://www.geocities.com/copelandeq/weaponanalyzer.html

Not only will this give you a graph of your damage output from
1 to 60 for a given choice of weapon(s), but you can also plot
one weapon choice against another, to see which is more effective.

jaZZmanian Devil

Apr 26, 2001, 4:41:05 PM4/26/01
Eq Caster wrote:

> The damage cap by what I can tell below level 20 is 2 times the damage of
> the weapon max. After level 20 you will average 2-2.5 times the damage of
> the weapon and peak at the max output for the weapon. www.castersrealm.com
> has a good weapon breakdown for max speed and damage. I do not know how
> accurate the formula is just a guess from my exp with my Monk and Pally.

I can't find a reference online for this question, but I don't think
that's right. My 2handed Crystallized sword is 24 damage, but it never
hit for more than 29 until I made lvl 20 without a crit. Then suddenly
it was hitting in the 40's and 50's. And I hadn't gotten any additional
strength enhancing gear or anything of the sort since then. I think
there's a firm cap of 29 before level 20 which comes off when you make
20. Can't document it though, but that's certainly my experience.
--
Jakys Lv'Tyrre, the Mad Monk of Qeynos
Monk of 24 Seasons. Silent Fist Clan.

SuperSizeMe

Apr 26, 2001, 5:37:35 PM4/26/01
I've been hitting for more than 29 with my shiny brass halberd 16 dmg for a
few levels now (currently 19). I've gotten 32 quite often. My 2HS is maxed
for my level and my str is around 130.

Elliot Williams

Apr 26, 2001, 10:05:34 PM4/26/01

"SuperSizeMe" <ne...@avaya.com> wrote in message

The important thing to remember is that damage cap and maximum damage
are two different things.

Every weapon has a weapon damage rating, it's what you see when you
right click on it. A Shiny Brass Halberd is listed as 16 damage. This
is the number affected by the damage cap. No matter what the weapon
rating, it is capped off at 10 until level ten, 14 until level twenty,
30 until level thirty, and at least 45 after level 30 (maybe 50, I
haven't found a weapon higher than 45 damage to test).

Maximum damage is calculated using weapon damage rating (WD), or level
damage cap, whichever is lower. It also uses the greater of
(Strength+Weapon Skill)/100 and 2.

At the lowest levels the formula is 2*WD+1. The after Str+WS=201 it
becomes (Strength+WeaponSkill)/100*WD+1 until level damage bonuses
kick in (around level 25), and then it becomes (Strength+Weapon
Skill)/100*WD+Level Damage Bonus.

To illustrate, a few examples (assume max skill in each case):

A level 5 Ogre warrior with 150 strength and a Shiny Brass Halberd (16
damage). 2hs skill is 30, so Str+WS=180. This is less than 2, so the
formula used is 2*WD+1. However, the damage cap is 10, so the weapon
is rated as 10. 2*10+1=21. Maximum damage is 21.

A level 15 Ogre Warrior with 160 str and a Shiny Brass Halberd. 2hs
skill is 80, so the formula is (Str+WS)/100*WD+1, but the damage cap
is 14, so it's (160+80)/100*14+1=34.6, or a maximum damage of 34.

A level 15 Human with 110 str and an SBH. 2hs skill is 80, 110+80 is
less than 201, so the formula is 2*WD+1 or 2*14+1=29 damage max.

A level 25 Ogre Warrior with 175 str and an SBH. 2hs skill is 130, so
use (Str+WS)/100*WD+1. (175+130)/100*16+1=49.8, or 49 damage max.

If you had a Mithril Staff (28 damage), in the first three examples
the maximum damage would be the same as an SBH due to level caps.
However, look at the jump in the last example.

A level 25 Ogre with 175 str and a Mithril Staff. 2hb skill is 130
(yeah, right). The formula is (175+130)/100*28+1=86.4, or 86 maximum
damage.

SuperSizeMe

Apr 27, 2001, 11:37:04 AM4/27/01
Wow!!! That's an incredibly detailed and in-depth answer. Thanks alot.
I've saved it for future reference. BTW: You must have a math degree, or
at least a degree in EQ ;-)