idNews: v1.2 released

1 view

David Taylor

Feb 18, 1994, 7:53:07 AM2/18/94
Doom v1.2 released

Isn't this nice? No release date announced, and it comes out by
itself! :)

Doom v1.2 was uploaded last night all over, including ftp.uwp.edu.
It contains tons of new stuff, including modem play, nice-to-the-net
network play, several gamma correction levels, a Nightmare difficulty
mode for that uppity bunch who claims the game is too easy, changes
to a couple of the maps to enhance net play, several changes to
setup.exe, native Pro Audio Spectrum support, and lots of other
nifty stuff.

However, although the GUS bug was squashed quite a bit, it wasn't
quite killed. It still hangs on occasion. However, those
occasions are less often now than they were last week. Solution:
save your game often.

However, there are buttloads o' fixes that are 100% killed. The
list is quite long, so the best thing to do is to just download
the new stuff and see if it works out for you.

No other big news right now comes to mind.

=-ddt->

David J. Calvin

Feb 18, 1994, 11:23:34 PM2/18/94
In article <1994Feb18.1...@nntpxfer.psi.com>, ddt@idcube (David Taylor) writes:

|> However, although the GUS bug was squashed quite a bit, it wasn't
|> quite killed. It still hangs on occasion. However, those
|> occasions are less often now than they were last week. Solution:
|> save your game often.

Save your game often? That's the solution? I hope this is not a permanent solution. Looks like I'll be playing 1.1 for a while longer.

Awaiting version 1.3.....

--
Dave Calvin | May the Force be with you! - Obi Wan
cal...@rpi.edu | Live Long and Prosper! - Spock

Brian Kidby

Feb 19, 1994, 3:41:45 PM2/19/94
ddt@idcube (David Taylor) writes:

>Doom v1.2 released

> Isn't this nice? No release date announced, and it comes out by
> itself! :)

[ Short description of bug-fixes and enhancements deleted. ]

> =-ddt->

I hope Id will continue with it's "no release date" policy in the future.
That way we'll all be pleasantly surprised when new releases do show up.
BTW, thanks Dave! Now go take a vacation!

Brian Kidby
The Kid My thoughts and actions are strictly my own.
the...@ornews.intel.com Do not hold my employers responsible.

Jeff Epler

Feb 20, 1994, 6:41:58 PM2/20/94
David Taylor <ddt@idcube> wrote:
> =-ddt->

At least in shareware 0.99, is that your signature on the pointer?

(Use + to get a better look at the arrow while in the map mode. I'm
pretty sure that it says 'ddt' on it.)

Anybody else ever notice this? not worth remarking upon, or did I
miss it?

--
Jeff Epler jep...@herbie.unl.edu (Preferred) or jep...@nyx.cs.du.edu
____ "Nuke the unborn gay whales" -- Never seen on a protest sign

Adrian Grah

Feb 22, 1994, 5:47:33 PM2/22/94
David J. Calvin (cal...@nason104.its.rpi.edu) wrote:
: In article <1994Feb18.1...@nntpxfer.psi.com>, ddt@idcube (David Taylor) writes:

: Save your game often? That's the solution? I hope this is not a permanent solution. Looks like I'll be playing 1.1 for a while longer.

: Awaiting version 1.3.....

--
Awaiting version 1.3 already? Got any release date for it? Forget
version 1.3, I want it to be known that I am the first to be waiting

Adrian Grah |
Communications Research Laboratory | Confusion Say:
Dept. of EE, McMaster University | "Man who stand on toilet
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8S 4L7 | high on pot."
email: gr...@ehs.eng.mcmaster.ca |
Phone: 416-525-9140 ext. 7264 |
Fax: 416-521-2922 |

David Vu

Feb 22, 1994, 9:39:39 PM2/22/94
In article <2k5tiq$3...@ornews.intel.com>, the...@ornews.intel.com (Brian Kidby) writes:
> ddt@idcube (David Taylor) writes:
>
> >Doom v1.2 released
>
> > Isn't this nice? No release date announced, and it comes out by
> > itself! :)
>
> [ Short description of bug-fixes and enhancements deleted. ]
>
> > =-ddt->
>

> I hope Id will continue with it's "no release date" policy in the future.
> That way we'll all be pleasantly surprised when new releases do show up.
> BTW, thanks Dave! Now go take a vacation!

Yes I hope so too! And I hope all these people who pushed for the release
of 1.2 on time get their share of frustrations with bugs in network playing,
modem playing and everything else. You wanted the patch released before it was
completely tested and you 've got it. So put up with the bugs and shut the hell
up. There are people like me who prefer to wait, however long, to get the
tested and stable release who will now have to wait further for another release.

So iD, continue with your "no release date" policy and release 1.3 when you feel
100% happy about it. No pressures! If you don't, you will be driven by these
people and will never afford to take a vacation :-)

-David-