doom on mac

paul nickell

Dec 13, 1994, 7:17:43 AM12/13/94
In article <3cg2dv$p...@news1.digex.net> bhur...@cpcug.digex.net (Bruce Hurwitz) writes:
>From: bhur...@cpcug.digex.net (Bruce Hurwitz)
>Subject: Re: doom on mac
>Date: 11 Dec 1994 23:36:31 GMT

>Po$$e (bgus...@gac.edu) wrote:

>: > In article <94113023...@blueskybbs.com> mike.fa...@blueskybbs.com (Mike Fairbanks) writes:
>: > >Why the heck would they want to defile such a good game like DOOM and
>: > >put it on those stupid little macs? It doesn't make sense, isn't
>: > >Simcity and Myst good enough for you mac users? Stick with the boring
>: > >games for boring computers.
>: >

>: Fuck you asswhipe! I own a Mac and they're just as good if not better
>: than any PC. By the "boring computer" owners have a game that's just as
>: good as Doom called Marathon. Of course, you won't be able to play it
>: cause you won't touch a Mac and it's not comming out for any PC. And why
>: wouldn't they come out with Doom for the Mac? They indeed are, and it's
>: not only gonna be for PowerPC users. The game will be PowerPC native,
>: meaning it will run alot faster than a regular Mac (at pentium speeds) ,
>: but it will still be playable on the 040 based Macs. Open your eyes and
>: ears and get your shit straight. Of course that may be hard for you with
>: your head so far up your ass and all.

>: -Po$$e

>I think he's in such a foul mood because it took his MAC based com
>software so long to load up.

Now that's funny!!

2xr2g...@vms.csd.mu.edu

Dec 13, 1994, 11:23:12 AM12/13/94
In article <1994Dec11....@blaze.trentu.ca>, esm...@ivory.trentu.ca writes:
>In article <3cebim$e...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com>, jona...@kaiwan.kaiwan.com (Jon C. Allen) writes:
>>
>>Oh yes, and PCs have to reboot quickly - since you spend half your time
>>rebooting it anyway. (Recovering from a crash, using WinDoze for more
>>than 2 minutes, editing your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT for EVERY single
>>program, etc...)
>
>Heh. I was going to say the same thing about the Mac. I've got a dodgy
>486SLC2/66 with a hard drive that sounds like gravel in the dryer, but it's
>never done anything truly terrifying--and I use it with multiple configurations
>and Win 3.1. Now, a Quadra that I once knew...wheww! Hang, bomb, crash.
>Guaranteed, daily.
>
>Near as I can tell, you're supposed to use Macs for big image editing, and
>multimedia, and DTP, and that sort of thing, right? Well, I sure wouldn't want
>to push one too far...they tend to blow up under stress.
>
>Course, I still like 'em all right. I'd just save a lot, is all.

WHO CARES!
If you play your own version of doom then you have a PC (exluding other ports)
If you have a Mac you can't play Doom, so shut up.
No on cares whether a Mac is better the a PC.
And I'm sure we all have better things to do than listen about how you
stand aroun computers with a stopwatch waiting for then to boot up.

By the way Sega 32x boots up faster than Pc or Mac, so it MUST be the best
system. (sarcasm)

Tom Schumm

Dec 13, 1994, 4:59:00 PM12/13/94
TS>Actually, the Macintosh is much less virus-prone than the PC, in that
TS>there are precisely 18 viruses for it, according to Disinfectant 3.5. No
TS>more, no less. A few have a couple of "strains" (i.e. minor variations on
TS>a theme), but there are only 18 "species". Out of these, just three are
TS>actively malicious: the rest only try to infect and spread. Out of the
TS>three malicious viruses, only one really tries to nuke your data by
TS>erasing it from the hard drive (the other two just rename folders to weird
TS>names). Some of the "benign" viruses do cause minor damage, usually by
TS>damaging the program they infect, taking up disk space and CPU time, and
TS>having bugs that cause crashes or erractic system behaviour. A couple do
TS>"funny" things, like using MacInTalk to say some silly phrase or reversing
TS>how the mouse cursor works (move the mouse left and the cursor goes right,
TS>etc.). But they don't contain code that goes out and deliberately tries
TS>to trash your system.

Yeah, 18 different viruses. I've seen more viruses than that in a month on
macs. You can write one with ResEdit if you want!

[-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=I==================================================]
[ Phong, aka, Tom Schumm I GCS/M/S d?@ H(+)>++ s--: !g p?+ au--- a17 w+(--) ]
[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-I v+(?)(---) C++>++++ P? L>++++ E-- N+++ K- W--- ]
[ CC __/\__ I M-- -po+ Y-- t++@ 5(+)(-) j(++) R- G''''$ tv(--) ]
[ \ / I b+ D++ B--- e>--- u(**) h(!) f?(--/+) !r(--)>+++ ]
[ __/\__/ \__/\__ I n----(---) y?>+++ Tom.S...@tssbbs.com ]
[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-I==================================================]

Tom Schumm

Dec 13, 1994, 5:01:00 PM12/13/94
KS>programs. So the 040, 68K mac code IS compatible with the PPC. And any
KS>PowerMac can SMOKE your stacked 486DX2/66 anyway. :) I would advise you
KS>to learn more about the PPC chips and PowerMacs before we get off the
KS>subject even further.

SMOKE a stacked 486DX2/66 running windoze, but if you want speed, only a
freaking moron would stack a drive or run windoze. If you don't do that,
they are pretty close.

Tom Schumm

Dec 13, 1994, 5:03:00 PM12/13/94
TY>> TY>know how to optimize a modern Mac. It is real complex and involves drag
TY>> TY>drop. That's a recent concept for your ilk, maybe.
TY>>
TY>> Gee, complex to get a mac going fast... REALLY! You could have fooled me

TY>> And draging and droping is soo efficient, I think I'll go do some right
TY>> now, sounds like fricking fun.

TY>I was being sarcastic; were you?

I didn't realize that! No, I wasn't be sarcastic! <sarcasm> (:

Tom Schumm

Dec 13, 1994, 5:05:00 PM12/13/94
JCA>Oh yes, and PCs have to reboot quickly - since you spend half your time
JCA>rebooting it anyway. (Recovering from a crash, using WinDoze for more
JCA>than 2 minutes, editing your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT for EVERY single
JCA>program, etc...)

Windoze sucks! I use it only when absolutly necessary. If you have any
capablity as a computer user, you find that the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT
are a plus, not a minus. If have the intellegence of mango fuzz you will
have them set up so that they don't need to be edited.

Tom Schumm

Dec 13, 1994, 5:07:00 PM12/13/94
BH>Hold on one gosh darn minute! I do believe that you
BH>do mean to say that a normal (ie DX33) 486 can toast
BH>any 680x0 any day!

That's true. The only 486 that a 68040 can beat is a 486SX25, which is
the slowest piece around. And I think that's running windoze!

Tom Schumm

Dec 13, 1994, 5:14:00 PM12/13/94
TS>Viruses on the Mac *are* harder to write. They generally have to do
TS>pretty exotic things to work.

Yeah right! They are easy! (not that I ever wrote one)

Tom Schumm

Dec 13, 1994, 5:17:00 PM12/13/94
NWM>>EA>I booted up a Zeos 16meg/486-66 and started up windows-time was 35 sec
NWM>>EA>I booted up a Mac 8meg Centris 650-time 40 sec.
NWM>>EA>I booted up a PowerMac6100 8 meg with several non-native extensions- 55
NWM>>EA>I booted up a PowerMac 6100 8 meg with no extensions-20 sec.

NWM>>You loaded windoze? That tainted the survey! That's like turning on the
NWM>>mac, then loading up word or something. Windoze sucks. What was in the
NWM>>autoexec.bat and config.sys?

NWM> Agreed. I think we can count Windoze as a "non-native" extension.
NWM>I'm betting that a PC could do a "clean-boot" in under 10-15 seconds.

I just clean booted my 486DX2/66 (no extensions), 8 seconds.

Tim Knowlton

Dec 13, 1994, 7:28:00 PM12/13/94
-=> Now quoting what Neal W. Miller yelled at All <=-

>EA>I booted up a Zeos 16meg/486-66 and started up windows-time was 35 sec

>EA>I booted up a Mac 8meg Centris 650-time 40 sec.

>EA>I booted up a PowerMac6100 8 meg with several non-native extensions- 55

sec.

>EA>I booted up a PowerMac 6100 8 meg with no extensions-20 sec.

>You loaded windoze? That tainted the survey! That's like turning on the

>mac, then loading up word or something. Windoze sucks. What was in the

>autoexec.bat and config.sys?

It takes me 57 seconds to load Windows, with only a screen saver, a font
program, and a screen saver initiator program running on the desktop. I used
to use a file I had of Barney mixed with the chainsaw startup from DOOM as
the opening sound, but I replaced it with a Monty Python sound a while ago...

-Tim

... Computer possessed? Try EXOR.SYS!!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Sharon Petrisor

Dec 13, 1994, 8:19:36 PM12/13/94
In article <94121022...@tssbbs.com> tom.s...@tssbbs.com (Tom Schumm) writes:
>EA>I booted up a Zeos 16meg/486-66 and started up windows-time was 35 sec
>EA>I booted up a Mac 8meg Centris 650-time 40 sec.
>EA>I booted up a PowerMac6100 8 meg with several non-native extensions- 55 sec.
>EA>I booted up a PowerMac 6100 8 meg with no extensions-20 sec.
>
>EA>Define 0rder of magnitude (RAM checks don't seem to take too long. For
>EA>Macs be careful about the number of extensions loaded into the system-here
>EA>at Penn the network people overload the macs with several useless
>EA>extension. They just take up useful RAM and slow the boot time.)

>You loaded windoze? That tainted the survey! That's like turning on the
>mac, then loading up word or something. Windoze sucks. What was in the
>autoexec.bat and config.sys?

Well, when "Windoze" 4 (aka Chicago) finally hits the streets, and makes PC's
at least as easy to use as a Mac (I've seen beta versions, I'm not
exaggerating), if not easier, yet still as powerful as a PC, I'll have fun
watching all those Mac-worshipping sysadmins cry as the Mac fades into
obsolescence. Not much to do with DOOM, but what the hell, this groups
dying in January anyway ;)

>[-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=I==================================================]
>[ Phong, aka, Tom Schumm I GCS/M/S d?@ H(+)>++ s--: !g p?+ au--- a17 w+(--) ]
>[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-I v+(?)(---) C++>++++ P? L>++++ E-- N+++ K- W--- ]
>[ CC __/\__ I M-- -po+ Y-- t++@ 5(+)(-) j(++) R- G''''$ tv(--) ]
>[ \ / I b+ D++ B--- e>--- u(**) h(!) f?(--/+) !r(--)>+++ ]
>[ __/\__/ \__/\__ I n----(---) y?>+++ Tom.S...@tssbbs.com ]
>[=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-I==================================================]

Jeremy Petrisor, who don't need no steenkin' SIG

Damir Smitlener

Dec 13, 1994, 8:23:06 PM12/13/94
In article <3ci0ou$7...@usenet.rpi.edu>, mil...@marcus.its.rpi.edu (Neal
W. Miller) wrote:

> bwa...@cats.ucsc.edu (Tim Seufert) writes:
>
> > (muchos deleted)
>
> >As for id's .plan, last I checked, it told you something like they just
> >got a bunch of PowerMacs to do the beta testing on. Let me fire up a
> >Finger session...
>
> >(pages and pages of extraneous info from finger he...@idsoftware.com deleted)
>
> >Status of DOOM ports---Updated: Tue, Nov 29th 3:06pm
> >MAC: We have found a team to do this. There is no release date.
> >We just got some Power PCs to test the beta
> >version on. It should be here soon. Please do NOT ask to test
> >this. There is no more info on this at this time. NO CHANGE.
>
> This section of he...@idsoftware.com has not been updated for several
> months. They "just got" their PowerPCs over three months ago. I am not
> optimistic.

Lion (the porters of said games) have given April 95 as the possible
release date. And we all know what happens to release dates... :(

--
damir smitlener |
gt7...@prism.gatech.edu |

T.R. Youngblood

Dec 14, 1994, 1:03:55 AM12/14/94
In article <94121322...@tssbbs.com>, tom.s...@tssbbs.com (Tom
Schumm) wrote:

> TY>> Gee, complex to get a mac going fast... REALLY! You could have
fooled me

> TY>> And draging and droping is soo efficient, I think I'll go do some right
> TY>> now, sounds like fricking fun.
>
> TY>I was being sarcastic; were you?
>
> I didn't realize that! No, I wasn't be sarcastic! <sarcasm> (:

Wow. A sarcastic loop. Cool...easy brethren, it's me...

t.r. youngblood
u.s.s. marathon

T.R. Youngblood

Dec 14, 1994, 1:05:02 AM12/14/94
In article <3clrtg$d...@nermal.cs.uoguelph.ca>, scl...@uoguelph.ca (Simon
Clark) wrote:

> : Yeah, 18 different viruses. I've seen more viruses than that in a month on

> : macs. You can write one with ResEdit if you want!
>

> : [ Phong, aka, Tom Schumm I GCS/M/S d?@ H(+)>++ s--: !g p?+ au--- a17
w+(--) ]

> You, my friend, are an ignorant jackass. 18 viruses. 7 of which are all
> but extinct because System 7 is immune to them, and one which only
> infects Italian system software. Pull your head out of your ass.
>
> Smot

Well put, Smot.

t.r. youngblood
u.s.s. marathon

Joe Flodin

Dec 14, 1994, 6:51:40 AM12/14/94
Wrong. RTFM.

Schumm) wrote:

--
"Not tonight, honey... I have a modem."
"You are in a maze of twisty little messages, all different."

Joe Flodin

Dec 14, 1994, 7:04:59 AM12/14/94
>Yeah, 18 different viruses. I've seen more viruses than that in a month on
>macs. You can write one with ResEdit if you want!

In the six years I've been using a Mac, I have never seen a virus. They
just don't seem to be making it out into public. Disinfectant hasn't had
to be updated for over a year because there haven't been any new viruses
for that long.

Meanwhile, there are 1400 viruses and counting for PCs...

William Lane

Dec 14, 1994, 2:58:56 PM12/14/94
Ceramic engineering, isn't that
kinda of like taking a PHD in
Advanced Pottery? I mean, don't
get me wrong I really LIKED the
pottery classes I took back in
grade school, but to major in
it? I guess you must really
KNOW your pottery!

wts (w...@umr.edu) wrote:
: In article <tyoungb-0712...@tyoungb-sl.cc.emory.edu>
: tyo...@unix.cc.emory.edu writes:

: > Hey buddy, sell the fucking MacPlus, okay? Let me guess, you said
: > classroom, what are we talking, umr, huh...let me guess...University of
: > Missouri at Rolla...have they had another KKK march up the road in
: > Lebanon, lately? I really don't expect you to have a current computer of
: > any kind, or if your hillbilly ass is lucky enough, you certainly don't
: > know how to optimize a modern Mac. It is real complex and involves drag n'
: > drop. That's a recent concept for your ilk, maybe.
: >
: >
: > TRYoungblood
: > Emory University

: While not to disagree about your PC statements, let me take a moment to
: tell you how foolish you sound with your cheap comments about my
: university, the University of Missouri-Rolla. 1) KKK is not here its
: down the road, far far down the road. 2) If you do not know about the
: graduates of this fine Engineering School, then your education is
: lacking and I will gladly suggest alternative schools to correct that
: deficeincy. UMR may be located in the middle of the Ozarks, have a
: wide and wonderful countryside, and lack many of the perks of a
: metropolitan area, but it does not consist of hillbillys like you
: believe. Not only does UMR draw its excellent students from across the
: nation but from across the world due to the practical and theoretical
: duality in its engineering courses. I suggest you take your time when
: composing a reply before insulting some of the best current and future
: engineers and scientists that this country and world have ever seen.
: Ever hear of just one of our alumni, Astronaut Tom Akers, the guy that
: fixed Hubble? (Pretty good work for a hillbilly and I am pretty sure
: he did not use duc-tape and wire to fix it too!) While I do not
: appreciate the bad reputation that was promoted by Gary Cauthon
: (gcau...@saucer.cc.umr.edu) and his lack of acceptance on the beauty
: and elegance of the Macintosh hardware and software, I believe it pales
: on comparison to your pre-teen response.

: Walter T. Stephens Graduate Student/almost PhD. in Ceramic Engineering
: at the University of Missouri-Rolla INTERNET: w...@umr.edu
: "If we are mark'd to die, we are enow to do our country loss;
: and if to live, why the fewer men, the greater share of honor." Henry V

Robert A. Decker

Dec 14, 1994, 8:07:21 PM12/14/94
In article <90.301...@mgmtsys.com>, tim.kn...@mgmtsys.com (Tim

Knowlton) wrote:
> It takes me 57 seconds to load Windows, with only a screen saver, a font
> program, and a screen saver initiator program running on the desktop. I used
> to use a file I had of Barney mixed with the chainsaw startup from DOOM as
> the opening sound, but I replaced it with a Monty Python sound a while ago...

It takes me 15 seconds to start up my apple IIE. Guess that system kicks
ass!!!

Tim Seufert

Dec 14, 1994, 8:17:19 PM12/14/94
Schumm) wrote:

> Yeah, 18 different viruses. I've seen more viruses than that in a month on
> macs. You can write one with ResEdit if you want!

You wish.

Next time you suggest typing in 68000 code in hex form in a ResEdit hex
editor window to create a Mac virus, I'll tell you to go use copy con
program.exe to write your PC virus.

You might be able to alter an existing Mac virus with ResEdit, but
completely creating a new virus with ResEdit would simply be an exercise
in masochism.

| *UselessWastedSpace*(tm) Tim Seufert, bwa...@cats.ucsc.edu |
| Do the environment a favor. Use goat-flavored floppy disks. |
| Think about it, won't you? Thank you. |

Tim Seufert

Dec 14, 1994, 8:20:00 PM12/14/94
Schumm) wrote:

> That's true. The only 486 that a 68040 can beat is a 486SX25, which is
> the slowest piece around. And I think that's running windoze!

Once again showing your ignorance. Test after test has shown the integer
speed of the two processors to be nearly equivalent at the same clock
speed, and the FP speed of the 68040 to completely wax that of the 486
(i.e. you need a 486-66 to match 040-33 FP performance). However, since
most people don't use too many programs that heavily hit on FP operations,
a 486-66 is generally faster for most applications.

Tim Seufert

Dec 14, 1994, 8:33:31 PM12/14/94
And now, for my own entry in the silly boot-time comparison:

Quadra 660AV 12 MB RAM: 49 seconds with about 40 loaded extensions
26 seconds with no extensions
System version: 7.5

No real difference between warm or cold boot. I almost always boot the
system with the same extension set.

About 12 seconds of the boot time is spent sitting there with a blank
screen, not accessing the disk. Coincidentally, this is just about
exactly how much time it takes for my hard disk (Quantum Empire 2100S) to
spin up from a cold start; I think the Mac OS detects the drive spin-up
time, writes it to the battery backed config RAM, and uses that as the
startup delay for SCSI devices.

Kevin Hendrickson

Dec 14, 1994, 9:05:08 PM12/14/94
In article <94121322...@tssbbs.com>
tom.s...@tssbbs.com (Tom Schumm) writes:

> Yeah, 18 different viruses. I've seen more viruses than that in a month on
> macs. You can write one with ResEdit if you want!

And you can write a PC virus with a pen and paper. Your point is...?

Look there are only 18 Mac viruses period. If you can name more than 18
be my guest. You will let us know your sources, won't you, so we can
verify them for ourselves?

*-------------------------------------------------------------*
Kevin Hendrickson "On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."
hndr...@museum.cl.msu.edu ruff...@aol.com Nyabinghi Warrior
hend...@clunix.cl.msu.edu hend...@student.msu.edu _DreaD_

Kevin Hendrickson

Dec 14, 1994, 9:12:50 PM12/14/94
In article <94121322...@tssbbs.com>
tom.s...@tssbbs.com (Tom Schumm) writes:

> Yeah right! They are easy! (not that I ever wrote one)

I think the above statement is fairly obvious.

Despite their actual or potential destructiveness, some Mac viruses are
programming works of art if one analyzes them in terms of their
sophistication. There are some viruses that can mutate when they
encounter each other and form a new virus. I forget which one tho. Your
previous statements about being able to write viruses with Resedit are
plain bullshit. Sorry, but they are. Unless you can compose 680x0
machine code in your head and have an intimate knowledge of the Mac
toolbox calls. Both of which I doubt.

Kevin Hendrickson

Dec 14, 1994, 9:23:10 PM12/14/94
In article <3cniho$r...@garuda.csulb.edu>
wl...@csulb.edu (William Lane) writes:

> What I meant to say, meaningless as
> it might be, was that YOU CANNOT
> run code compiled for the ole' '040
> processors on a PPC platform. And,

Yes this is pretty meaningless and incorrect. You CAN run code compiled
for the '040 on a PPC equipped PowerMac. I do it everyday. The
newreader I am posting from is compiled for 040 machines, yet I am
running it on a PowerMac without any alterations/re-compilations
whatsoever.

[snip]

> in assembly. I DEFY you to run an
> executable module compiled to chip-
> specific PPC code on ANY '040 chip,

While you can't run PPC specific code on an '040, You can run
applications that are FAT binaries. Basically these apps contain both
PPC and '040 code so you can run them on either machine without
fiddling with .ini files config.sys or anything else. Simple.

So can we now get back to discussing Doom? Thanks.

wts

Dec 15, 1994, 3:06:02 AM12/15/94
In article <3cniq0$r...@garuda.csulb.edu>
wl...@csulb.edu (William Lane) writes:

> Ceramic engineering, isn't that
> kinda of like taking a PHD in
> Advanced Pottery? I mean, don't
> get me wrong I really LIKED the
> pottery classes I took back in
> grade school, but to major in
> it? I guess you must really
> KNOW your pottery!

[ unrealted stuff deleted ] ...

[ material related to posters comments... ]

> : Walter T. Stephens Graduate Student/almost PhD. in Ceramic Engineering
> : at the University of Missouri-Rolla INTERNET: w...@umr.edu
> : "If we are mark'd to die, we are enow to do our country loss;
> : and if to live, why the fewer men, the greater share of honor." Henry V

Advanced Pottery, right. Let me clue you in, oh amorphous minded one.

Advanced Ceramic Pottery: space shuttle tiles, high temperature fuel
cells, all computer chip materials and fabrication methods, all
non-metallic electrical components, piezoelectric materials, all glass
materials in lighting industry and optical industry, pyroelectric
materials, the latest generation of smart materials, selective gas
seperation membranes, magnetic materials, optical sensing materials,
new materials for efficient automobiles, high-tech and secret materials
for stealth technology, bioceramics: making replacement bones and
joints, current glass technology: making possible a localized
chemotherapy in the liver and other organs without subjecting the body
to unnecessary and lethal radiation, super-conductors, frictionless
bearings, high-tech miniturized motors, cellular technology materials,
new optical materials for astronomical observations, and composite
materials: creating new materials and devices with our friends in
metallurgy and polymer chemistry..and..and..and....

I could go on and on. If anyone doesn't like ceramics, then don't use
them: shut off your computer and all electrical appliances and go use a
bush in the woods for your business. You might think ceramics is a
foolish line of work and research, but you sure are glad to be able to
use them everyday of your life.

Smile when you say CERAMIC, pilgrim.

Walter T. Stephens Graduate Student in Ceramic Engineering/Mud Jock

Sinister

Dec 15, 1994, 5:35:54 AM12/15/94

I truly believe you can make your mind think what you want it to but i know
that my apple Iie probably can have the same time but unfortunately that
is an outdated scrap metal that know is the size of a card you can plug in.
I don't know why someone would, but there has to be some reasoning behind it.

Sinister

Dec 15, 1994, 5:44:25 AM12/15/94

Mac are great but let me see here didn't Wolfenstein come a couple of years
ago and it has just been introduced for the mac! Granted it has better sounds
and music but it seems that it is trying to play catchup and second hand goodies.

Sinister

Joe Flodin

Dec 15, 1994, 6:36:09 AM12/15/94
>Well, when "Windoze" 4 (aka Chicago) finally hits the streets, and makes PC's
>at least as easy to use as a Mac (I've seen beta versions, I'm not
>exaggerating), if not easier,

AH HA HAH HA HA! HAR HAR Har! (Gasp) wheez...

I am stunned at your faith that THIS time, Microsoft will catch up...

>yet still as powerful as a PC, I'll have fun
>watching all those Mac-worshipping sysadmins cry as the Mac fades into
>obsolescence.

People have said this would happen ever since the Mac 128K came out in
'84... Macintosh is now a larger company than Compaq, and is still
growing.

>Not much to do with DOOM, but what the hell, this groups
>dying in January anyway ;)

As one person said, "MMMM... FLAME WARS!!! (Homer Simpson voice)".

Charles Greig

Dec 15, 1994, 1:48:07 PM12/15/94
In article <flodin-1512...@192.0.2.1>,
Joe Flodin <flo...@eskimo.com> wrote:

>People have said this would happen ever since the Mac 128K came out in
>'84... Macintosh is now a larger company than Compaq, and is still
>growing.

Funny, I didn't know there was a Macintosh company! Does Apple know about
this trademark infringement? =)

OS/2's the best currently available IMHO.

--
I use caps for EMPHASIS, not for yelling!
``Opinions expressed are mine alone, but as soon as I figure out how

William Lane

Dec 16, 1994, 3:19:20 PM12/16/94
I spoke before I thought! Sorry!
Anyway, for my own elucidation
(I'm a pre-EE major), if I were
say to compile a Turbo Pascal
program on my Power Mac (if I
had the money to get one) it
would be possible to run it on
a '040 based Quadra? I always
thought executable modules were
machine specific? How can an
executable module (or CPU for
that matter) figure out which
instructions to run unless you
tell it? Where could I get
more info on Fat binaries?
thanks, and sorry
for the big mouth!

Kevin Hendrickson (hndr...@museum.cl.msu.edu) wrote:
: In article <3cniho$r...@garuda.csulb.edu>

Jon C. Allen

Dec 17, 1994, 2:09:39 PM12/17/94
mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:

: > Oh yes, and PCs have to reboot quickly - since you spend half your time
: > rebooting it anyway. (Recovering from a crash, using WinDoze for more
: > than 2 minutes, editing your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT for EVERY single
: > program, etc...)

: (Now I've done it, I've enetered a sys war)
: it's the other way around, I have 4 startup options, which allow me to play
: games that Mac users dream of. Macs crash every hour for no apparent reason,
: bring up a dialog box with a bomb and "restart" + "quit" or something, you
: click on one and the whole system dies, they are as bad as windoze - hehehe and
: we have other options aside from windows - like warp, nextstep, Geos, etc.

"restart" + "quit" or something? Well, since you obviously don't know the
Mac OS that well, that puts a big hole in the creditability of anything
you have to say about the Mac. As for these options other than WinDoze -
do you know many people that use Warp, Next, or Geos? That's what I
thought. The majority of the planet runs/deals with DOS/Windoze, so
they'll have to deal with the inherent problems with those OS.
--
_____ _ _ __ __
Jon C. Allen ------------------ |_ _| |_| |\ \/ / ------------------

Joe Flodin

Dec 19, 1994, 4:24:49 AM12/19/94
> It's called DOS! THe most stable OS known to man. No MAC crap or
> Windoze junk can stand in its way.

Oh, my, no. You want stable: run Apple DOS 3.3. Never crashes (not even
if you open the drive bay, as long as you close it again!)

Or even better: whatever system they run on the Space Shuttle computers.
That system is absolute bedrock. They've spent decades of SERIOUS debug
on it. Last thing you want is a "Abort, Retry, Fail" at T + 10 seconds...

Fabio

Dec 18, 1994, 6:29:13 PM12/18/94
Tom Schumm (tom.s...@tssbbs.com) wrote:
: KS>programs. So the 040, 68K mac code IS compatible with the PPC. And any

: KS>PowerMac can SMOKE your stacked 486DX2/66 anyway. :) I would advise you
: KS>to learn more about the PPC chips and PowerMacs before we get off the
: KS>subject even further.

: SMOKE a stacked 486DX2/66 running windoze, but if you want speed, only a
: freaking moron would stack a drive or run windoze. If you don't do that,
: they are pretty close.

: [-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=I==================================================]
: [ Phong, aka, Tom Schumm I GCS/M/S d?@ H(+)>++ s--: !g p?+ au--- a17 w+(--) ]
: [=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-I v+(?)(---) C++>++++ P? L>++++ E-- N+++ K- W--- ]
: [ CC __/\__ I M-- -po+ Y-- t++@ 5(+)(-) j(++) R- G''''$ tv(--) ]
: [ \ / I b+ D++ B--- e>--- u(**) h(!) f?(--/+) !r(--)>+++ ]
: [ __/\__/ \__/\__ I n----(---) y?>+++ Tom.S...@tssbbs.com ]
: [=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-I==================================================]

Actually, any PPC will smoke any 486. I own both a mac and PC, and thats
the truth. (Actually, the fastest computer now on the consumer market is
the Powermac 8100/110 (110mhz!))

--
*********************************
* JAS *

"Mecca-lecca hi mecca hiny-ho!"

- Jambi

Gary Snow

Dec 19, 1994, 1:57:36 AM12/19/94
In article <1994Dec16...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>, mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz says...

>By Stacked he probably meant internally clock doubled, yes his PowerMac can
>beat a dx2/66 when running native software, trouble is there is no native
>software - when running 68040 software a dx33 will go faster.

Care you get a little bit more informed? No Native software?? Where have you
been for the last 9 months??

Gary

---
gs...@pacifier.com <-----====()====-----> http://www.pacifier.com/~gsnow/
Vancouver, WA's On-Ramp to the Information SuperHighway (206) 693-0325
telnet to "pods.pacifier.com" (press return 2x) or dial the above to register

Gary Snow

Dec 19, 1994, 2:02:24 AM12/19/94
In article <94121322...@tssbbs.com>, tom.s...@tssbbs.com says...

>That's true. The only 486 that a 68040 can beat is a 486SX25, which is
>the slowest piece around. And I think that's running windoze!

Based on what. My real world applications don't paint the same picture.
I have both a 486DX-33 and a Mac Centris 650 (25mhz 040). They are both
of comparible performance, and if anything, I'd give the edge to the Mac.

mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz

Dec 19, 1994, 12:39:31 AM12/19/94

> "restart" + "quit" or something? Well, since you obviously don't know the
> Mac OS that well, that puts a big hole in the creditability of anything
> you have to say about the Mac. As for these options other than WinDoze -

Ahh, yes you spotted the fake - I can't have used a Mac cause if I did, the
bomb box would be a permenant photo in my mind.
I'm too pissed off at the damn machines when they do that to worry about the
exact wording they use.
(Shit, I couldn't even recite the table my computer displays on start-up and I
see that every day!)

> do you know many people that use Warp, Next, or Geos? That's what I
> thought. The majority of the planet runs/deals with DOS/Windoze, so

I know more people using non DOS/Win OS's than I do using Mac OS. Go Figure.

> they'll have to deal with the inherent problems with those OS.

The inherent problems with those OSs are much less than those of MacOS (now
we're in the thick of it), they dont *have* to deal with the problems if they
dont want to. If they are too thick to realise that, then they deserve whats
comming to them.

My motto for today: Anyone who actually buys a Mac, derseves it.
Make of that what you will.

Marc Nimchuk

Dec 20, 1994, 3:01:58 AM12/20/94
mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:

: > They both have to load a Graphical based OS, or the test is tained. By not
: > see the first extensions icon appear.

: So you mean to say that we have to cripple our computers just because yours is?
: Windows is not an OS, and if you want a graphical file program to load ontop of
: DOS then add a couple more seconds (ie use a shareware front end) - I personally
: choose a menu (1 second), that allows me to load programs faster than a Mac can
: (I can have the program selected in the keyboard buffer before the Menu even
: loads, you have to wait, well I guess you're used to that)

: I guess this is flame bait, so be warned I probably wont even bother to reply
: if you reply to this ;)

Lord almighty, dont get my hopes up. You've managed to spread enough FUD
already...

Give me one program that runs slower natively than on a 68k mac...

Kevin Hendrickson

Dec 20, 1994, 8:31:22 PM12/20/94
In article <3d60ut$c...@lynx.unm.edu>
deh...@indus.unm.edu (Yeah... the Buttnut) writes:

> Also, macs are for faggots.

Just when you were starting to make sense you blow a hole in your
argument with this bullshit. Now all I can think is that your recently
written "paper" is equally as "impartial" and "logical."

> -- My inner child is a mean little fucker.

Not just the inner one it would appear.

Mikael Puittinen

Dec 21, 1994, 3:36:33 AM12/21/94
Robert A. Decker (com...@med.umich.edu) wrote:
: In article <90.301...@mgmtsys.com>, tim.kn...@mgmtsys.com (Tim

My ZX Spectrum 48k starts in about 3 seconds. Not to mention my Casio
FX-100, which starts in less than a second. Start-up time is REALLY
the one and only performance test (actually I've heard that the
SPEC'92 has been discontinued in favor of the startup-time test.)

Windows 95 == Macintosh 84

Mikael Puittinen
internet: Mikael.P...@hut.fi
WWW: http://www.hut.fi/~kaapa/

Yeah... the Buttnut

Dec 21, 1994, 12:09:50 AM12/21/94
Kevin Hendrickson (hndr...@museum.cl.msu.edu) wrote:
: In article <3d60ut$c...@lynx.unm.edu>

: deh...@indus.unm.edu (Yeah... the Buttnut) writes:

: > Also, macs are for faggots.

: Just when you were starting to make sense you blow a hole in your
: argument with this bullshit. Now all I can think is that your recently
: written "paper" is equally as "impartial" and "logical."

God, some people just cant take a joke. In My experience, using a mac
has nothing to do with being a homosexual. It does, however, have seem
to indicate a high degree of stupidity :) (heres a smiley for all the
humor impaired idiots.)

Cripes, some people. A whole message somewhat defending macs (at least
their hardware) with a little joke at the end and they wet their
diapers. Could someone dial 9-wah-wah and get a wahmbulance for this
little girl?

: Kevin Hendrickson "On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."
: hndr...@museum.cl.msu.edu ruff...@aol.com Nyabinghi Warrior

Ah, no wonder. Has a free internet account thru msu and is stupid enough
to need aol. Probably just felt a need to be known as "ruffneck".

:) :) :)

(more smileys you idiots)

-Dan

Kevin Stone

Dec 21, 1994, 9:05:36 PM12/21/94

: No. I think it's because his SimCity just fell to a horrible earthquake,
: and to make matters worse, his frogger doesn't work any more!!

Just an inocent question.. "What's a frogger?"

Kevin Hendrickson

Dec 21, 1994, 2:18:11 AM12/21/94
In article <3d8dau$3...@lynx.unm.edu>

deh...@argo.unm.edu (Yeah... the Buttnut) writes:

> Kevin Hendrickson (hndr...@museum.cl.msu.edu) wrote:
> : In article <3d60ut$c...@lynx.unm.edu>
> : deh...@indus.unm.edu (Yeah... the Buttnut) writes:
>
> : > Also, macs are for faggots.
>
> : Just when you were starting to make sense you blow a hole in your
> : argument with this bullshit. Now all I can think is that your recently
> : written "paper" is equally as "impartial" and "logical."
>
> God, some people just cant take a joke. In My experience, using a mac
> has nothing to do with being a homosexual. It does, however, have seem
> to indicate a high degree of stupidity :) (heres a smiley for all the
> humor impaired idiots.)

Oh, I get it you were trying to be funny! Try harder. You need the
practice.

>:-P

> Cripes, some people. A whole message somewhat defending macs (at least
> their hardware) with a little joke at the end and they wet their
> diapers. Could someone dial 9-wah-wah and get a wahmbulance for this
> little girl?
>
> : Kevin Hendrickson "On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."
> : hndr...@museum.cl.msu.edu ruff...@aol.com Nyabinghi Warrior
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> Ah, no wonder. Has a free internet account thru msu and is stupid enough
> to need aol. Probably just felt a need to be known as "ruffneck".

And a Nyabinghi Warrior.

*-------------------------------------------------------------*

Kevin Hendrickson "On the internet, no one knows you're a dog."
hndr...@museum.cl.msu.edu ruff...@aol.com Nyabinghi Warrior

hend...@clunix.cl.msu.edu hend...@student.msu.edu _DreaD_

Joe Flodin

Dec 21, 1994, 4:10:26 AM12/21/94
>MSDOS, for example, may not have any
> multitasking (as compared to Windows' and System 7's cooperative
> multitasking), but it is the best OS for current games (Although games
> using AI are much better implemented using multitasking OS's- see OS2's
> Galactic Civilizations) because it allows that app. to take all system
> resources.

You're implying that the Mac does not allow one application to take all
system resources? If you think that, you're quite wrong...

> Also, macs are for faggots.

> -Dan

What? I expected you to say "nazi".

Jeffrey John Heinen

Dec 22, 1994, 1:18:42 AM12/22/94

Gee, I've heard the start-up routine for a Cray Y-MP can take a VERY long
time. Guess that means a Cray REALLY sucks, huh? By this standard, my
pocket calculator kicks ass over any PC.
| Jeff Heinen | "Necessitas non |
| | habet legem." -St. Augustine |

mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz

Dec 21, 1994, 8:16:26 PM12/21/94

> Lord almighty, dont get my hopes up. You've managed to spread enough FUD
> already...

Sure, you wish.

> Give me one program that runs slower natively than on a 68k mac...

(OK, so I'm replying, damn, I think it's called easyplay, it's a QT player and
it's supposed to be native - It might be another player tho)

Todd Potter

Dec 16, 1994, 2:00:42 AM12/16/94
In article <flodin-1412...@192.0.2.1>, flo...@eskimo.com (Joe Flodin) says:

>>Yeah, 18 different viruses. I've seen more viruses than that in a month on
>>macs. You can write one with ResEdit if you want!
>
>In the six years I've been using a Mac, I have never seen a virus. They
>just don't seem to be making it out into public. Disinfectant hasn't had
>to be updated for over a year because there haven't been any new viruses
>for that long.
>
>Meanwhile, there are 1400 viruses and counting for PCs...

>--
>"Not tonight, honey... I have a modem."
>"You are in a maze of twisty little messages, all different."
>...and the button said, "Push me, and the world will begin
>again." And as I pushed it, I cringed upon realizing that no
>two snowflakes are ever the same.

Well, if there are a million MAC owners & %.01 write viruses
& there are 10 million PC owners & %.01 write viruses....Wait let me do the math on my pentium
(OH no! a floating point calculation to the 6th digit...Call Intel!) ;)

& What the hell does any of this have to do with DOOM.

William Lane

Dec 16, 1994, 3:24:23 PM12/16/94
I was JUST KIDDING! Ever since
I became a EE major, all I've
learned is I know nothing. One
point, however, FRICTIONLESS
BEARINGS! I believe that this is
a physical impossibility (i.e. to
eliminate ALL friction between
load bearing contact surfaces).
I could be wrong, but I don't
think so. Believe it or not, I've
got a lot of respect for ANYONE
who gets a PHD in an ABET accredited
engineering program!
-Bill Lane, nobody

wts (w...@umr.edu) wrote:
: In article <3cniq0$r...@garuda.csulb.edu>

Joe Flodin

Dec 17, 1994, 4:10:18 AM12/17/94
>By Stacked he probably meant internally clock doubled, yes his PowerMac can
>beat a dx2/66 when running native software, trouble is there is no native
>software - when running 68040 software a dx33 will go faster.

Most of the major software is native now.

Joe Flodin

Dec 17, 1994, 4:07:52 AM12/17/94
In article <3cniho$r...@garuda.csulb.edu>, wl...@csulb.edu (William Lane) wrote:

>What I meant to say, meaningless as
>it might be, was that YOU CANNOT
>run code compiled for the ole' '040
>processors on a PPC platform.

Absolutely wrong. Powermacs (which use the PPC) emulate the '040 mode.

And,
>gee, who would've ever guessed you
>can re-compile code for other
>platforms? Let's see you do that w/
>assembly code optimized to run on a
>PPC, many video routines are written

>in assembly. I DEFY you to run an
>executable module compiled to chip-
>specific PPC code on ANY '040 chip,

>anywhere!

Of course '040s can't run PPC code. '040 code uses CISC command set, PPC
code uses the RISC command set.

It's also my understanding
>that the clock tripled/doubled 486's
>outperform any and all of Motorola's
>'040 chips in terms of MIPS and
>MFLOPS. I guess if I'm wrong I would
>like to know, however.

Sure, doubled and tripled 486s outperform the '040s - because none of the
'040s are clock-doubled or tripled. If they were, they'd perform
comparably.

But Apple decided not to bother with trying to double and triple
clockspeeds, and went gung-ho for the RISC (which certainly do outperform
even the fastest clock-doubled or tripled 486, or for that matter,
equivalent Pentiums).

Yes, PPC chips are faster than Pentium chips.

mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz

Dec 19, 1994, 10:44:03 PM12/19/94
In article <3d3at0$e...@news.pacifier.com>, gs...@pacifier.com (Gary Snow) writes:
> In article <1994Dec16...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>, mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz says...
>>
>>By Stacked he probably meant internally clock doubled, yes his PowerMac can
>>beat a dx2/66 when running native software, trouble is there is no native
>>software - when running 68040 software a dx33 will go faster.
>
> Care you get a little bit more informed? No Native software?? Where have you
> been for the last 9 months??

Yeah, yeah, sure, I've heard the story before, all the lastest software is
native, thats just what it is, a story, advertising bs. most of the so called
"native" programs are all 040 code except for one or two really slow routines
that have been coded for the powermac, or maybe a few plug-ins are now native.
As I said to the last person who said this to me, I have seen a DTP program
*fly* on a powerMac, but I have also seen lots of so called "native" apps
running slower than they do on 040's or slightly faster (ie 130% faster on a
PMac supposidly 4x faster).

Dave Marquard

Dec 20, 1994, 12:42:05 AM12/20/94
<mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

>Yeah, yeah, sure, I've heard the story before, all the lastest software is
>native, thats just what it is, a story, advertising bs. most of the so called
>"native" programs are all 040 code except for one or two really slow routines
>that have been coded for the powermac, or maybe a few plug-ins are now native.
>As I said to the last person who said this to me, I have seen a DTP program
>*fly* on a powerMac, but I have also seen lots of so called "native" apps
>running slower than they do on 040's or slightly faster (ie 130% faster on a
>PMac supposidly 4x faster).

Oh boy... Where are you getting your info from? NATIVE apps do not have plug
ins, and don't have just a few lines of native code. If they have either of
these, they aren't really native. BTW, the only way possible a native app would
be slower or only a lit
tle bit faster than an 040 app would be if the PowerMac in question was running
some non-native extensions, which there is really no need to do at the time
being...
--
---------------------
Dave Marquard

Gary Snow

Dec 19, 1994, 2:06:14 AM12/19/94
>NWM>>You loaded windoze? That tainted the survey! That's like turning on the
>NWM>>mac, then loading up word or something. Windoze sucks. What was in the
>NWM>>autoexec.bat and config.sys?
>
>NWM> Agreed. I think we can count Windoze as a "non-native" extension.
>NWM>I'm betting that a PC could do a "clean-boot" in under 10-15 seconds.
>
>I just clean booted my 486DX2/66 (no extensions), 8 seconds.

They both have to load a Graphical based OS, or the test is tained. By not
see the first extensions icon appear.

Gary

Yeah... the Buttnut

Dec 20, 1994, 2:26:21 AM12/20/94
Fabio (jst...@twain.ucs.umass.edu) wrote:

: Ahh, sorry! If you checked up on it, a 486DX2/66 is only faster than a
: 040 40mhz in some applications. I got that tidbit from an Intel ad for
: the Pentium chip. Hmm, wonder why they didn't compare it to a PPC in the
: ad???

Because it would compare unfavorably (about the same or a little
ahead/behind), which would ruin Intel's current ad campaign. Even though
I am a PC person, I still see the inherent superiority in the RISC design
(hell, I just finished a research paper comparing PowerPC, DEC Alpha, and
Intel P5's last week). Fortunately for Intel, Macs tend to waste their
system resources (courtesy of System 7) without any alternatives.

System 7 sucks. So does Windows. Fortunately for me (and
approx. 79% of the other computer users in the world), alternatives
exist for Intel based PC's. MSDOS, for example, may not have any

multitasking (as compared to Windows' and System 7's cooperative
multitasking), but it is the best OS for current games (Although games
using AI are much better implemented using multitasking OS's- see OS2's
Galactic Civilizations) because it allows that app. to take all system

resources. If you want multitasking, get it, because Linux w/ Xwindows
is freeware (you can buy CD's, but if you're cheap like me you can just
download it), Or OS2 and Windows NT are both fairly affordable.

This will all become academic when NT takes over (bleah, I hate
the idea of Microsoft wielding more power), because all NT apps will run
on any system with NT ported to it (such as the DEC Alpha, the winner in
my paper). Then it will all depend on how good the hardware is. Until
then, I'll take the system (DOS/OS2) which allows me to use that apps I want.

Also, macs are for faggots.

-Dan

-- My inner child is a mean little fucker.

Nathan Vack

Dec 27, 1994, 4:22:56 PM12/27/94
You want a fast startup time? I've got a VIC-20. Hit the switch.
There you go.

Brian Stone

Dec 28, 1994, 1:07:31 AM12/28/94
Nathan Vack (vack...@gold.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
: You want a fast startup time? I've got a VIC-20. Hit the switch.
: There you go.

Ive got an Abacus that has a Zero-second startup time!!!

BAS

do...@atlantis-bbs.com

Dec 28, 1994, 9:51:41 AM12/28/94

True there are always those debates over which is better, Mac or PC. it
doesnt matter.. i dont get why there are a bunch of posts in here
regarding marathon.. this is a doom forum. if theres a marathon forum,
thats where all of those messages should be.. besides, you forgot Unix
and all of its clones.. namely Linux.

--
Atlantis BBS (408) 377-8510 - 18 Lines - Over 25 Multiplayer Games
Over 70,000 Shareware Files - Internet Mail - Usenet - Majornet