*NEW* *UNDOCUMENTED* doom switches

Simon Travaglia, Analyst/Programmer

Jan 13, 1994, 3:00:18 PM1/13/94

What's the story with all these new command line options you may ask?

Well, I've been into the debugger at length and I think I have a list of
them at long last. So here they are.

doom -swastika
Causes swastikas to appear in random places provoking inane
discussion on the net about designs and their origins

doom -bestgameever
Allows you to have the best game you ever had. So you can post
to the net with a blow by blow description

doom -imnotsatisfied
Gives you a game that is unsatisfactory because there's always
something you can think of that ID didn't put in. This is synonymous
with the switch -soitsagoodgameallrightbutistillwantmorefornothing
and -heyiamneversatisfief

doom -cheatnotes
This causes the cheat notes to be flashed up on your screen every
five seconds during normal play, and every two seconds during combat
and in dark rooms.

doom -whensthenextversion
This causes doom not to run because it's not as good as the next
version. The only output is:
"The bastards don't even update the best game I've ever seen for
me three times a week as I find another problem"

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
THE WORLD'S FIRST 3D SIGNATURE!!! To VIEW:
Display THIS signature on 2 580x400 pixel (8 plane) screens whilst crossing
your eyes and striking yourself about the head with a billard queue ball.
See it? Neither did I the first time. But now I see it all the time......
s...@waikato.ac.nz, Simon Travaglia, University of Waikato, Hamilton, N.Z.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The modern child will answer you back before you've said anything.
-- Laurence J. Peter

JD Powell

Jan 14, 1994, 12:02:37 PM1/14/94
Uh oh! Simon's at it again!

Loved your BOFH series!

Diane Winters

Jan 14, 1994, 6:53:47 PM1/14/94
In article <2h6j7d$8...@xanth.cs.odu.edu> j...@tulip.cs.odu.edu (JD Powell) writes:
>Uh oh! Simon's at it again!
>
>Loved your BOFH series!

Absolutely! Where did he surface?? Must have missed him. :(

Looking back on the BOFH and pre-subsequent ones, wouldn't those hold the
kernal for a really _neat_ game??

Simon Travaglia as a really big, _BORED_ Boss. Hehehe!

Diane

Alan S. Narup

Jan 15, 1994, 3:25:23 AM1/15/94
Simon Travaglia, Analyst/Programmer (s...@waikato.ac.nz) wrote:

Noticed you forgot one:

doom -cpuemu
Allows you to run doom on whatever platform you wish, including
Unix ascii terminals! Usually used in conjunction with the code
whyitnoworkyonmyplatform or whenmac, whenamiga, whennext, etc.

Peter Gutmann

Jan 15, 1994, 8:54:57 AM1/15/94

A friend of mine has already mumbled that as soon as a level editor is
available he'll do our CompSci dept. as a level for Doom (the floor layout
is perfect, there are even semi-secret doors and tunnels under the floors).
You could do the same with the Victoria Uni (home of the BOFH) CompSci dept,
and you could put in a *real* operator from Hell.

Peter.

Diane Winters

Jan 15, 1994, 1:39:39 PM1/15/94

Hummm.. Simon was a perfectly _devious_ OFH. I especially remember one
where he lured some innocents up, got them into a safe, and then either
left or turned up the volume on his stereo until all the sounds stopped.
Hehehe. Sickenly wonderful! ;) No shooting into _that_ room and then
waiting for him to attack so you could pick him off, no sirree.

Don't know that it would fit into a Doom scenario, though...

Diane

R.Y. Greene

Jan 15, 1994, 3:31:22 PM1/15/94
Um, what is BOFH?

R.Y. Greene

R.Y. Greene - ez04...@othello.ucdavis.edu
"Remember, where-ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

Simon Travaglia, Analyst/Programmer

Jan 15, 1994, 6:33:38 PM1/15/94
In article <1994Jan15....@cs.aukuni.ac.nz>, pg...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann) writes:
> You could do the same with the Victoria Uni (home of the BOFH) CompSci dept,
> and you could put in a *real* operator from Hell.

* Huh? I've never even *visited Vic

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
THE WORLD'S FIRST 3D SIGNATURE!!! To VIEW:
Display THIS signature on 2 580x400 pixel (8 plane) screens whilst crossing
your eyes and striking yourself about the head with a billard queue ball.
See it? Neither did I the first time. But now I see it all the time......
s...@waikato.ac.nz, Simon Travaglia, University of Waikato, Hamilton, N.Z.
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Automobile: A four-wheeled vehicle that runs up hills and down pedestrians.

Chris Cannon

Jan 17, 1994, 12:51:06 PM1/17/94
R.Y. Greene (ez04...@othello.ucdavis.edu) scribbled with a crayon:
: Um, what is BOFH?
Bastard (system) Openator From Hell. A truely wonderfull and tasteles series of
stories from the dude who started the thread.
=================
can...@netcom.com

Tom Gerhart

Jan 19, 1994, 9:57:10 AM1/19/94
In article <cannonCJ...@netcom.com>, can...@netcom.com (Chris Cannon)
wrote:

Now! Aren't you sorry you asked? ;-]

+======================================================================+
* Tom Gerhart *
* tger...@bvu-lads.loral.com *
* tger...@halcyon.com *
+======================================================================+

Dan Tosto

Jan 18, 1994, 7:39:00 AM1/18/94
P> A friend of mine has already mumbled that as soon as a
P> level editor is available he'll do our CompSci dept. as a
P> level for Doom (the floor layout is perfect, there are
P> even semi-secret doors and tunnels under the floors). You
P> could do the same with the Victoria Uni (home of the BOFH)
P> CompSci dept, and you could put in a *real* operator from
P> Hell.

Once the editors come out,imagination will be the only limitation.

---
* KWQ/2 1.2b NR * But in your heart you know it's flat.