Master of Skill Questions.

Silent

May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
Shrowd wrote:

> Silent <bir...@gte.net> wrote in message
>
> > That skill remains at 100%, but all others are incresed by 1% to a max of
> >
> > You cannot raise any skills above that skill less by 5 (ie, 100% skill
> means
> > 95% max on others; always happens to me; can be avoided by enchancing
>
> So.. If I understand correctly...
>
> If I wanted to maximize all my non-misc. skills, without cheating, I should
> try to get them all to 99 (or 100) before I ever achieve the "Master of
> Skill".
>
> This would allow me to get the extra 5 points and circumvent the system a
> little bit?...

Let's just say that I wouldn't count on the 1% bonus enough to put in a new
swimming pool :)

I've NEVER, EVER recieved that bonus myself.

But, you can raise all those skills to 100%, so long as you don't use them
after that (until all skills you want maxed are maxed).

> My long term goal is to figure out how to maximize all stats through non
> hacking/editing means...100 instead of 95, if possible...

Using a magic item to enchance a skill to 100 really isn't either of those
means, and all you need is the necessary rank, an equipable item with at lest
900 enhantment points availible, and 9000 gold (should be easy by the time you
get 100% in your main skills [eg, max level] :)

> As for lycathropy/vamp... they won't affect the amount of work it takes to
> achieve Master of Skill?.. The +30 points won't screw me from my goal, in
> the long run...?
>
> Example: If my Running reaches 101 as a Were, will I get the "Master of
> Skill" or will I have to reach 131 before I get the MoS?

Those thirty extra points are existant only in your mind, really...and the
bonuses for the skills useage. Thus, you must reach 131% (remembering that the
skill will be limited to 130%, for those just joining this little thread) to
get a master of skill (and it must not be in the misc category).

> If I do get MoS at 101 and then get cured of Were, will I loose MoS and/or
> my other skills be limited to a max of 95?

You will not lose MOS, and your skill may or may not raise the limit in the
first place (your 130% mastered skill may still allow only 95% on other skills
[again, I'm not certain], but magic items always will circumvent the limit [but
if you enchance your mastered skill to 115%, any other magic item enhanced
skill will be limited to 110%]), but if it does, then getting cured will again
reset the limit to 95% (barring magic item skill enhancement).

Note that skills above 95 do not drop, they merely cannot advance until the
limit is raised.

Magnus Itland

May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
"Shrowd" <Shr...@IckyMeat.bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Example: If my Running reaches 101 as a Were, will I get the "Master of
>Skill" or will I have to reach 131 before I get the MoS?

One of my weres had a Running skill of 127 and no mastery.
So it's safe to say that the were boost is ignored for mastering
purposes.
--
itl...@online.no Yes! The one and only Magnus Itland.
http://home.sol.no/~itlandm/

AFFA MU

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
"Shrowd" <Shr...@IckyMeat.bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Silent <bir...@gte.net> wrote in message
>
>> That skill remains at 100%, but all others are incresed by 1% to a max of
>>
>> You cannot raise any skills above that skill less by 5 (ie, 100% skill
>means
>> 95% max on others; always happens to me; can be avoided by enchancing
>
>So.. If I understand correctly...
>
>If I wanted to maximize all my non-misc. skills, without cheating, I should
>try to get them all to 99 (or 100) before I ever achieve the "Master of
>Skill".
>
>This would allow me to get the extra 5 points and circumvent the system a
>little bit?...
>

>My long term goal is to figure out how to maximize all stats through non
>hacking/editing means...100 instead of 95, if possible...
>

>As for lycathropy/vamp... they won't affect the amount of work it takes to
>achieve Master of Skill?.. The +30 points won't screw me from my goal, in
>the long run...?
>

>Example: If my Running reaches 101 as a Were, will I get the "Master of
>Skill" or will I have to reach 131 before I get the MoS?
>

>If I do get MoS at 101 and then get cured of Were, will I loose MoS and/or
>my other skills be limited to a max of 95?

A related issue...

Does anyone know what triggers the "master of" message?

I've have characters get 100 in one skill and get "master of" and I've
had characters get 100 in several skills and not get the "master of"
message.

There doesn't seem to be any order to it. I'm not using magical items
to beef up my attributes or anything like that.

Douglas Goodall
cuprum at earthlink network

Howard Gyton

May 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/2/99
On Sat, 01 May 1999 18:19:44 GMT, Silent <bir...@gte.net> wrote:

>Shrowd wrote:
>
>> Silent <bir...@gte.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > That skill remains at 100%, but all others are incresed by 1% to a max of
>> >
>> > You cannot raise any skills above that skill less by 5 (ie, 100% skill
>> means
>> > 95% max on others; always happens to me; can be avoided by enchancing
>>
>> So.. If I understand correctly...
>>
>> If I wanted to maximize all my non-misc. skills, without cheating, I should
>> try to get them all to 99 (or 100) before I ever achieve the "Master of
>> Skill".
>>
>> This would allow me to get the extra 5 points and circumvent the system a
>> little bit?...
>

>Let's just say that I wouldn't count on the 1% bonus enough to put in a new
>swimming pool :)
>
>I've NEVER, EVER recieved that bonus myself.

Got it the other night for Destruction.

Silent

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
AFFA MU wrote:

> A related issue...
>
> Does anyone know what triggers the "master of" message?
>
> I've have characters get 100 in one skill and get "master of" and I've
> had characters get 100 in several skills and not get the "master of"
> message.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any order to it. I'm not using magical items
> to beef up my attributes or anything like that.
>
> Douglas Goodall
> cuprum at earthlink network

The only time that message has appeared to me was at the end of a fast travel,
and I forget whether or not leveling up at the time has anything to do with it.