creatures 3d

xxobot

May 23, 2006, 7:16:18 PM5/23/06
to ANYONE who is still posting here, or even monitering this website, I
have had it with waiting for a creatures 3d to come out, so I have
decided to make my own, but I can't do it on my own, so I am looking
for anyone who is interested and has had experince in c, c++, anyone
interested please post in this forom, thankyou.

xxobot

May 23, 2006, 8:23:49 PM5/23/06
For more info, although there is none at the moment go to wiki at
http://creatures.wikia.com/wiki/Creatures_3d_project

Alyssa Milburn

May 23, 2006, 9:23:56 PM5/23/06

http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/forums/ are the official Creatures
forums nowadays. There's a discussion thread about the possibility of
making a Creatures 3D there.

xxobot

May 23, 2006, 10:55:58 PM5/23/06
Unfortunatly, those forums is down at the moment, but thanks anyway

emmel

May 24, 2006, 9:26:17 AM5/24/06
On 2006-05-23, xxobot <creatu...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> to ANYONE who is still posting here, or even monitering this website, I

*Website*?!

> have had it with waiting for a creatures 3d to come out, so I have

Oh, already?

> decided to make my own, but I can't do it on my own, so I am looking

What a surprise.

> for anyone who is interested and has had experince in c, c++, anyone
> interested please post in this forom, thankyou.

"forum" - except that it isn't. Look up the word "USENET".

Anyway (I know, I've been a bit rude, but that's just my current mood.)
you might want to have a look at the creatures wiki (whatever that damn
URL was; google should do the trick. And there is work on the way
reimplementing the C3/DS engine, so this might be a nice place to have a
look at. Learn walking before you have a go at flying and stuff.
Creating a 3D Creatures is an extremely different thing to do - not the
basic stuff like the graphics and maybe not even the 3D models you'll
undoubtly need (in short plenty of content that'll take years of mantime
to make). The problem is creating a brain that is able to navigate in 3D
or pseudo 3D. Remember that Creatures is basicly 1D...
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.

Don

May 25, 2006, 2:19:32 AM5/25/06
"xxobot" <creatu...@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> For more info, although there is none at the moment go to wiki at
> http://creatures.wikia.com/wiki/Creatures_3d_project

Btw, Raimian also has a Wiki page on the Creatures 3D he wants to make here:
http://creatures.wikia.com/wiki/Darkworld

Don
AmberCreatures
http://www.webpetz.com

xxobot

Jun 2, 2006, 2:53:59 AM6/2/06

Well, actually, In creatures 1,2,3,ds (thats all I know) Chemicles do
most of the work, Like theres a fear chemicle, a reward chemicle and so
on and so fourth... So the current brian can just be simmilar (and I
mean similar) to the current norn brain, as for the 3d graphics, that
is faily easy, for at least low detail stuff.

emmel

Jun 2, 2006, 4:06:13 AM6/2/06
On 2006-06-02, xxobot <creatu...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> emmel wrote:
>> On 2006-05-23, xxobot <creatu...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> > to ANYONE who is still posting here, or even monitering this website, I
>>
>> *Website*?!
>>
>> > have had it with waiting for a creatures 3d to come out, so I have
>>
>> Oh, already?
>>
>> > decided to make my own, but I can't do it on my own, so I am looking
>>
>> What a surprise.
>>
>> > for anyone who is interested and has had experince in c, c++, anyone
>> > interested please post in this forom, thankyou.
>>
>> "forum" - except that it isn't. Look up the word "USENET".
>>
>> Anyway (I know, I've been a bit rude, but that's just my current mood.)
>> you might want to have a look at the creatures wiki (whatever that damn
>> URL was; google should do the trick. And there is work on the way
>> reimplementing the C3/DS engine, so this might be a nice place to have a
>> look at. Learn walking before you have a go at flying and stuff.
>> Creating a 3D Creatures is an extremely different thing to do - not the
>> basic stuff like the graphics and maybe not even the 3D models you'll
>> undoubtly need (in short plenty of content that'll take years of mantime
>> to make). The problem is creating a brain that is able to navigate in 3D
>> or pseudo 3D. Remember that Creatures is basicly 1D...
>
> Well, actually, In creatures 1,2,3,ds (thats all I know) Chemicles do
> most of the work, Like theres a fear chemicle, a reward chemicle and so
> on and so fourth... So the current brian can just be simmilar (and I
> mean similar) to the current norn brain, as for the 3d graphics, that
> is faily easy, for at least low detail stuff.

Low detail stuff looks ghastly. Anyway, 3D means having to give Norns
the ability to sense in 3D and to move in 3D. True, chemicals do a lot,
but the brain has to have at least an idea (instincts) how to deal with
such an environment in the first place. And dragging a norn along an
area in 3D seems quite a challenge interface-wise.

xxobot

Jun 3, 2006, 5:49:41 AM6/3/06
Thankyou for pointing out that 3d interface problem, maybe I should
just go back to the creatures one way, where you couldn't drag them.

xxobot

Jun 3, 2006, 5:50:27 AM6/3/06
And the low detail stuff looking gastly is too true

emmel

Jun 6, 2006, 4:09:43 AM6/6/06
On 2006-06-03, xxobot <creatu...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Thankyou for pointing out that 3d interface problem, maybe I should
> just go back to the creatures one way, where you couldn't drag them.

Might be better. And I though about it again. Apart from the interface
and the location memory (which in C3 constisted only of smell stuff
anyway) 3D boils down to 'what to show on the screen' and 'how to place
the objects in 3D'. 'appoach object' as an actions shouldn't make that
much of a problem after all.

Alex Watson

Jun 9, 2006, 11:05:38 AM6/9/06
emmel wrote:
> Low detail stuff looks ghastly. Anyway, 3D means having to give Norns
> the ability to sense in 3D and to move in 3D. True, chemicals do a lot,
> but the brain has to have at least an idea (instincts) how to deal with
> such an environment in the first place. And dragging a norn along an
> area in 3D seems quite a challenge interface-wise.

I may have said this here before, but Black&White did a good job of this
sort of thing using a disembodied hand. There must be other games that
do something similar. I'm sure it'd be a nightmare to code, but I found
the UI fairly intuitive. (Someone here didn't. xOtix, I think?)

--
Alex Watson <s/deadspam/froup/ to reply>
http://www.zen24203.zen.co.uk/

Jim Eha

Jun 9, 2006, 12:55:37 PM6/9/06
"Alex Watson" <alexw...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> emmel wrote:
> > Low detail stuff looks ghastly. Anyway, 3D means having to give Norns
> > the ability to sense in 3D and to move in 3D. True, chemicals do a lot,
> > but the brain has to have at least an idea (instincts) how to deal with
> > such an environment in the first place. And dragging a norn along an
> > area in 3D seems quite a challenge interface-wise.
>
> I may have said this here before, but Black&White did a good job of this
> sort of thing using a disembodied hand. There must be other games that
> do something similar. I'm sure it'd be a nightmare to code, but I found
> the UI fairly intuitive. (Someone here didn't. xOtix, I think?)

It took me awhile (B&W) to get used to it; 'bout a day. But when I got the
hang of it(mostly the being able to suddenly yank your way all the way
across the map if the hand was on a far away place) I found it quite
helpful... as opposed to directional and up/down -keys.

--
Those who do not read AGC are those that perish because their life is
boring...

"How do I create a coloured Norn instead of one of those 'brownish or gold'
ones?" ...Ah the good old Days of C1!

-------------
Get FREE newsgroup access from http://www.cheap56k.com

rprog...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2006, 1:00:05 PM6/9/06
I want to know how we agent developers are supposed to make sprites in
3D?
The scripting won't be a problem, but will we need textures and models
and animations?

Don

Jun 10, 2006, 5:18:56 AM6/10/06
"Alex Watson" <alexw...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

It's just a pity the movement controls in Black & White 2 were so naff.

Don
AmberCreatures
http://www.webpetz.com

x0tix

Jun 11, 2006, 9:13:30 AM6/11/06
Alex Watson <alexw...@deadspam.com> wrote in news:44898e42$0$30730
$fa0f...@news.zen.co.uk:

> emmel wrote:
>> Low detail stuff looks ghastly. Anyway, 3D means having to give Norns
>> the ability to sense in 3D and to move in 3D. True, chemicals do a lot,
>> but the brain has to have at least an idea (instincts) how to deal with
>> such an environment in the first place. And dragging a norn along an
>> area in 3D seems quite a challenge interface-wise.
>
> I may have said this here before, but Black&White did a good job of this
> sort of thing using a disembodied hand. There must be other games that
> do something similar. I'm sure it'd be a nightmare to code, but I found
> the UI fairly intuitive. (Someone here didn't. xOtix, I think?)

I wish I had a memory like yours (wry smile)

The interface is greatly improved in B+W 2, but as trying as ever to get
that stupid tiger to do what you want. (gave up again) playing SWG's NGE
and abandoned AO for it and will probably get shafted again by SOE and quit
again. lol

Alex Watson

Jun 11, 2006, 1:56:32 PM6/11/06
x0tix wrote:
> Alex Watson <alexw...@deadspam.com> wrote in news:44898e42$0$30730
> $fa0f...@news.zen.co.uk:
>>I may have said this here before, but Black&White did a good job of this
>>sort of thing using a disembodied hand. There must be other games that
>>do something similar. I'm sure it'd be a nightmare to code, but I found
>>the UI fairly intuitive. (Someone here didn't. xOtix, I think?)
>
> I wish I had a memory like yours (wry smile)
>
> The interface is greatly improved in B+W 2, but as trying as ever to get
> that stupid tiger to do what you want. (gave up again) playing SWG's NGE
> and abandoned AO for it and will probably get shafted again by SOE and quit
> again. lol

*fazed* I have not the faintest idea what any of the acronyms you just
used mean.

As for the other I recall the leash thing - did they keep that? - could
seem like a bit of a hack and sometimes made things more complicated
than they needed to be. But the problem of dragging something around is
a bit hard to do in a projection of 3D. Lots of things obscuring each
other and so on...

emmel

Jun 12, 2006, 3:18:15 AM6/12/06

3D software. Unfortunally not many people get the hang of that... hell,
I didn't even manage to get things done in *2D*.

Thomas J. Boschloo

Jun 15, 2006, 8:30:56 AM6/15/06
emmel schreef:

> On 2006-06-09, rprog...@gmail.com <rprog...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to know how we agent developers are supposed to make sprites in
>> 3D?
>> The scripting won't be a problem, but will we need textures and models
>> and animations?
>
> 3D software. Unfortunally not many people get the hang of that... hell,
> I didn't even manage to get things done in *2D*.

The trick is to keep the time between deleting the old sprite and
drawing the new sprite as short as possible. IOW you don't do
calculations and processing input during that phase. Or else your sprite
will flicker no matter what you do. This is someone unnatural when you
start coding at first.

Thomas
--
"When paranoia is outlawed .."

emmel

Jun 16, 2006, 4:06:22 AM6/16/06

Doublebuffering, someone?

Anyway, I wasn't talking about coding it, but doing the *sprites*.
Displaying the stuff is rather simple if you go for SDL...