New Video Card Problems

Vorlonagent

Feb 2, 2007, 9:31:49 PM2/2/07
I just installed an ATI X1800 in a freind's machine. It seems to do
everything fine except CoX. It doesn't even get tp the login screen.
Quickly after staring the game bootup, I get three error boxes with the
following errors:

You card or driver doesn't support GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array

You card or driver doesn't support GL_ARB_multitexture

You card or driver doesn't support GL_ARB_texture_compression

I got similar errors after attempting to install a Geforce 7600 GT (I sent
that card back). The machine had a GeForce 6600 in it and the owner wanted
a modest upgrade. The 6600 runs fine. The machine has Rome: Total War
installed on it and the card runs fine for that game. The only thing that
seems to be affected is CoH.

Any theories?

The owner has had it put to him that maybe all he needs to do is reinstall
the game. haven't tried that yet.

System:

OS: Win XP, SP2, all updates
Proc: Athlon 64 XP
Mem: 1 GB
Video: ATI X1800, 256MB, 16x PCIE

System had never had an ATI card on it previously. Installed drivers and
Catalyst from the disk, (standard install) then downloaded latest drivers
and installed those.

Thanks,

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

Vorlonagent (M), level 44 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
Fury- (F), Level 38 Brute (Energy/Energy), Liberty
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 38 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Lemon Tree (F), Level 36 Scrapper (Spine/Invuln), Liberty
Dr. Akagi (F), Level 35 Mastermind (Robots/Traps), Guardian
Pulsar Staraven (F), Level 33 Controller (Grav/Rad), Liberty

Shenanigunner

Feb 2, 2007, 10:06:10 PM2/2/07
"Vorlonagent" <nojt...@otfresno.com> wrote:
> The owner has had it put to him that maybe all he needs to do is
> reinstall the game. haven't tried that yet.

It is just barely possible that reinstallation will fix, tweak, change etc.
some low-level settings that were set differently with a weaker card.
Unlikely, though.

Otherwise, this is the sort of bug that drives me nuts. It will end up
being a tertiary effect of a secondary driver for some deep-system
component.

I would say: Uninstall all video drivers, copy CoH to a backup dir,
uninstall the game and then delete all the original installation folder.
Install the video card drivers and update them if needed, reinstall CoH,
copy the game backup over the new installation... and cross your fingers.

--
= The UPDATED v1.80 Keybind, Macro & Emote Guide for I8
= is available on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/

CoinSpin

Feb 3, 2007, 6:38:06 PM2/3/07
"Shenanigunner" <shenan...@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message

| "Vorlonagent" <nojt...@otfresno.com> wrote:
| > The owner has had it put to him that maybe all he needs to do is
| > reinstall the game. haven't tried that yet.
|
| It is just barely possible that reinstallation will fix, tweak, change
etc.
| some low-level settings that were set differently with a weaker card.
| Unlikely, though.
|
| Otherwise, this is the sort of bug that drives me nuts. It will end up
| being a tertiary effect of a secondary driver for some deep-system
| component.
|
| I would say: Uninstall all video drivers, copy CoH to a backup dir,
| uninstall the game and then delete all the original installation folder.
| Install the video card drivers and update them if needed, reinstall CoH,
| copy the game backup over the new installation... and cross your fingers.

I'd agree with that approach, but be a little cautious copying the game
backup in... If the issue is in some deep setting in the current version of
the game, it might still be present in your backup, and you may end up
copying it right back in to make your life miserable again. This happened
to me when I got a new puter and tried copying CoX onto the new one, and it
just was all messed up and would not work at all. I ended up removing
everything, installing as I had previously, and just letting it do the
natural update, then everything worked great.

Still, it's shorter to try to reinstall and copy the backup over to see if
it works. If not, consider uninstalling and doing the whole "natural"
reinstall/update process.

CoinSpin

Vorlonagent

Feb 4, 2007, 1:35:27 PM2/4/07

"CoinSpin" <coin^spam^sp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Still, it's shorter to try to reinstall and copy the backup over to see if
> it works. If not, consider uninstalling and doing the whole "natural"
> reinstall/update process.

The guys on the CoH forums seem to think it's an OpenGL issue.

A detailed uninstall of my video drivers using Driver Cleaner was the
recommended solution.

Haven't heard of Driver Cleaner before but, hey, if complete strangers
recommend it on an open forum, it can't be bad, right? :)

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

Vorlonagent (M), level 45 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
Fury- (F), Level 39 Brute (Energy/Energy), Liberty

RolIing Thunder (F), Level 38 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Lemon Tree (F), Level 36 Scrapper (Spine/Invuln), Liberty

Dr. Akagi (F), Level 36 Mastermind (Robots/Traps), Guardian

George Johnson

Feb 4, 2007, 11:46:43 AM2/4/07
"CoinSpin" <coin^spam^sp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Reinstalling DIRECTX would also help, just to be safe.

Marcel Beaudoin

Feb 5, 2007, 10:38:57 PM2/5/07
"Vorlonagent" <nojt...@otfresno.com> wrote in

> "CoinSpin" <coin^spam^sp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Still, it's shorter to try to reinstall and copy the backup over to
>> see if it works. If not, consider uninstalling and doing the whole
>> "natural" reinstall/update process.
>
> The guys on the CoH forums seem to think it's an OpenGL issue.
>
> A detailed uninstall of my video drivers using Driver Cleaner was the
> recommended solution.
>
> Haven't heard of Driver Cleaner before but, hey, if complete strangers
> recommend it on an open forum, it can't be bad, right? :)

I used it when I re-built my computer. Works quite well, and I didn't have
any problems. Cleared up a lot of files that the Official driver
uninstaller missed.

--
Marcel