Questions

ResLight

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented by
the Great Pyramid of Egypt. Yet I have been told in the past by some members
of Freemasonry that Masons, as such, do not advocate any particular
religion. Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
Church? Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God? the
condition of the dead? the immortality of the human soul? the hope of life
after death?

These are not trick questions, nor am I trying to start any kind of
argument. I sincerely want to know.

Ronald R. Day
Restoration Light

Jim Bennie

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
In <7hnk7f$b8j$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "ResLight"

<resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented by
> the Great Pyramid of Egypt.

No, the ceremonies of my Lodge say nothing about pyramids or Egypt,
nor do they define what a church is or isn't.

The Lodge is not a church. It's a non-demominational fraternity.
And it urges, among many other things, members to be true to their
own religious beliefs. The fraternity doesn't define them.

Jim Bennie
PM, Lodge Southern Cross No. 44, Vancouver

ResLight

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99

Jim Bennie wrote in message <7hnnf4$e...@felix.vcn.bc.ca>...
Jim,

Thanks for the quick response.

I also have a few more questions.

I am being told that Freemasons use the Egyptian "wing-sun-disk" as a
Masonic symbol. Is this true?

I am also being told that the Cross/Crown/Wreath symbol is a Masonic symbol.
I have been unable to verify this. Is this true?

Is the "Great Seal" symbol on the back of the US dollar actually a Masonic
symbol?

Ronald R. Day

Jim Bennie

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
In <7hnpt2$8m$1...@oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "ResLight"

<resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I am being told that Freemasons use the Egyptian "wing-sun-disk" as a
> Masonic symbol. Is this true?

Ron, I've never seen it in connection with a Masonic Lodge. I
can't even think of anything that would resemble it offhand.

> I am also being told that the Cross/Crown/Wreath symbol is a Masonic symbol.
> I have been unable to verify this. Is this true?

Yes and no. The Crown and the Cross is a symbol in the Knights Templar
Preceptory, which isn't Freemasonry per se, but an organisation open to
Freemasons. Here in Canada, it's open only to Freemasons who are
Christians.

> Is the "Great Seal" symbol on the back of the US dollar actually a Masonic
> symbol?

This has been discussed here a number of times, and only recently, too.
I know a Dejanews search of the words Freemasonry and Great Seal should
come up with one of Chris Harris's posts on this.

About all I know about a US dollar bill is it's worth about $1.35
Canadian :)

Jim Bennie
PM, Nos. 65 & 44,
and KT, Columbia Preceptory No. 34, Vancouver

James Dennis

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99

ResLight wrote:

> I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented by
> the Great Pyramid of Egypt.

Who ever told you that is a liar. Are you communicating with Seven of Nine or
some other crack pot? Why don't you tell us your source of information so we
can all share the humor.

> Yet I have been told in the past by some members of Freemasonry that Masons,
> as such, do not advocate any particular religion.

That is true. The only thing required in Freemasonry is a belief in GOD, the
Supreme Being who created all things.

> Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the Church?

The Great Pyramid is not used in Freemasonry. It is used on the Seal of the
United States. The All Seeing Eye of GOD, which happens to be on the top of
the Great Pyramid on the Seal of the United States, is a Christian Symbol,
based on an Arab (pre Muslim) concept of GOD being able to see a sparrow fall.
Freemasonry uses the symbolism of the eye for GOD.

> Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

No, but some Freemason Organizations, i.e. the Swedish Rite and the old German
Strict Rite requires/required its members to be Christian.

> Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God? the
> condition of the dead? the immortality of the human soul? the hope of life
> after death?

Freemasonry does not teach any concerning the nature of GOD, other than GOD
created all things. Defining the nature of GOD is the responsibility of
RELIGION and religion is not discussed in the Lodge Room.

The Masonic Burial Service, which is pretty much a Christian Service, assumes
that there is a life after death/immortality of the soul, and that GOD will
judge us in the end but does not go beyond that.

Life after death and so on are in the realm of religion and Religion is not
discussed in the Lodge.

James Dennis

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99

ResLight wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> I also have a few more questions.
>

> I am being told that Freemasons use the Egyptian "wing-sun-disk" as a
> Masonic symbol. Is this true?

It could be, but I don't remember seeing it in the York or Scottish Rite.
Freemasonry has the right to use any symbol that it chooses if it teaches the
lessons of Freemasonry, just like Christianity can appropriate a "pagan" symbol
whenever it feels like it.

> I am also being told that the Cross/Crown/Wreath symbol is a Masonic symbol.
> I have been unable to verify this. Is this true?

The symbol you describe is used by the Knights Templars, a Masonic Order. It
is also used in at least two college fraternities and who know where else. It
is based on the vision GOD gave the Roman Emperor Constantine prior to a
victory which Constantine celebrated by converting to Christianity. But then
the "Roman Cross" was used by the followers of Mithra, so we find where
Christianity borrowed yet another symbol from a "pagan religion" .

> Is the "Great Seal" symbol on the back of the US dollar actually a Masonic
> symbol?

No, it is a collaboration of over 30 men, three of whom happened to be
Freemasons.

Mav

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
On Sun, 16 May 1999 19:28:58 -0400, "ResLight"
<resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented by

>the Great Pyramid of Egypt. Yet I have been told in the past by some members

>of Freemasonry that Masons, as such, do not advocate any particular

>religion. Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
>Church? Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

Nope. And, nope.

>Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God? the
>condition of the dead? the immortality of the human soul? the hope of life
>after death?

Nothing. Those issues are up to religion to teach. Freemasonry teaches
the Brotherhood of man, under the Fatherhood of G-d.

Dave Mavity MM
Golden Lodge #1 AF&AM

JunDec735

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
>Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
>Church?

No!

>Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

No!

>Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God? the
>condition of the dead? the immortality of the human soul? the hope of life
>after death?

Nothing! These are the provinces of organized religions of which Freemasonry
is not.

Individual Masons believe in what their own individual religions teach about
those above subjects be they Christian or Jew or Moslem or Bhuddist, etc. A man
seeking admission to the Masonic Fraternity only has to profess a belief in a
Supreme Being, in God. How he perceives that God is up to him and his
conscience (soul).

Brother Mike Beltzer
Senior Deacon
Cuyahoga Falls Lodge #735
Grand Lodge of Ohio F&AM
SCRL, GL of California
AASR SJ, Valley of Taipei, Orient of Taiwan
Yusef Kahn Grotto, Akron, Ohio (Cast & Clown Units)

Eugene Goldman.·.

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
Ronald,
I am sure you will get other, equally informative , andwers, but allow
me to comment.

<resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

*I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented by
*the Great Pyramid of Egypt.

You are being told a fiction.

*Yet I have been told in the past by some members
*of Freemasonry that Masons, as such, do not advocate any particular
*religion.

Just like Scouting, Campfire and many other fraternal organizations,
the fraternity of Freemasonry has a requirement that an applicant must
express a belief in a Supreme Being before he may join. How he
chooses to observe that Belief, by what Name(s) he chooses to address
that Supreme Being and what ceremonies he practices to follow that
Belief are his own business and not subject to debate, or even
discussion.

The fraternity requires that a man have a Belief. No less, and no
more.

*Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
*Church?

No.

*Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

No. The fraternity claims to be a fraternity that admits, as members,
men of every religious, political and socio-economic opinion.
Certainly, if there were any stastics kept, they would show that the
religions of our members are representative of the societies in which
they live, just as their occupations, political opinions and ethnic
backgrounds. No statistics, however, are kept, so we can only assume
from personal experience.

*Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God?

Aside from the fact that He is the Creator of the Universe, and so
deserves our unwavering reverence, nothing. Those teachings should
come from an individual's religion.

*the condition of the dead?

Other than the fact that their lives and deeds should be remembered,
nothing.

*the immortality of the human soul?

Other than it's existence, nothing.

*the hope of life after death?

Other than the fact that we should ever keep this hope, and guide our
lives and make our decisions with it in view, nothing.

*These are not trick questions, nor am I trying to start any kind of
*argument. I sincerely want to know.

And I sincerely hope I have answered them.

|O| Be well. Travel with a light heart.
Who said that?

Brother Gene .*.
http://www.calodges.org/no442
http://www.blackmountainlodge.net
http://www.freemason.org
MBBFMN #387
AFCW Heavyweight Champian of the World
And in case I don't see ya' - Good Afternoon, Good Evening and Good Night!

Internet newsgroup posting. Copyright 1999. All rights reserved.
Any Mason may use the contents for any valid Masonic purpose, permission may be granted to others upon request.

Dr. Roger M. Firestone

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hnpt2$8m$1...@oak.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
ResLight <resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

[snip]

>I also have a few more questions.
>
>I am being told that Freemasons use the Egyptian "wing-sun-disk" as a
>Masonic symbol. Is this true?

Some Lodge rooms are decorated in an Egyptian motif, such as Naval Lodge
Hall in DC and one of the rooms in the Grand Lodge Building in
Philadelphia at 1 North Broad Street. You might find typical Egyptian
symbols and hieroglyphics there, but they are not Masonic symbols, for
such symbols are not used in the degrees of the Symbolic Lodge. (One of
the Scottish Rite Degrees has an Egyptian them, and a Scottish Rite
Valley might choose to use stage decor with Egyptian motifs, but no
particular set of symbols or designs is specified.)

>I am also being told that the Cross/Crown/Wreath symbol is a Masonic symbol.
>I have been unable to verify this. Is this true?

It is used in certain Christian orders appendant to Masonry. That does
not make it a Masonic symbol; it is a Christian symbol used in Masonry
(just as the six-pointed star is a Jewish symbol used in Masonry).

>Is the "Great Seal" symbol on the back of the US dollar actually a Masonic
>symbol?

Not really. The unfinished pyramid, denoting the work of
nation-building yet to be completed, is of a Masonic nature in concept,
but such a symbol is not used in Masonry. The All-Seeing Eye is a
Masonic symbol, mentioned in the lecture of the Third Degree, but it
predates Masonry by a considerable period.

Roger M. Firestone, 32 KCCH
Musician/Lodge Educ. Ofcr., Henry Lodge #57, AF&AM of VA, Fairfax

Dr. Roger M. Firestone

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
In article <7hnk7f$b8j$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

ResLight <resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented by
>the Great Pyramid of Egypt. Yet I have been told in the past by some members

>of Freemasonry that Masons, as such, do not advocate any particular
>religion. Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
>Church? Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

Freemasonry has no teachings about the Great Pyramid whatsoever. Nor is
Freemasonry characterized by a single religion, such as Christianity.
Some appendant orders in Freemasonry are limited to Christian Masons,
however.

>Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God? the

>condition of the dead? the immortality of the human soul? the hope of life
>after death?

Freemasonry teaches:

1. There is a Supreme Being
2. Who created the Universe
3. Who has revealed a Moral Law
4. And to Whom we must give account
5. In a life after this.

Whether the revelation is the Jewish Scriptures, the Christian
Scriptures, the Koran, the Guru Granth Sahib, or the Rig Vedas is not
taught in Masonry. Whether the dead are punished eternally, purged of
their sins after a finite period, reincarnated, translated to Paradise,
or whatever is not taught in Masonry, nor is the period between death
and judgment defined, nor is what happens during any such period.

We learn these from the ritual and forms and ceremonies in various ways:

1. from the admission to membership only of those who believe in a
Supreme Being, and the frequent references to such a being

2. from the references to the Supreme Being as the Great Architect of
the Universe (sometimes abbreviated GAOTU)

3. from the references in the lectures to the Volume of the Sacred Law
which is essential to the operation of the Lodge and without which a
Lodge cannot exist

4. from the Master's emblem of a Sword Pointing to a Naked Heart, which
teaches that justice sooner or later will overtake us all--and from
the manifest evidence that justice is not always administered in
this world

5. from various teachings of the degrees, such as that of the Master's
emblem of the Anchor and Ark

ResLight

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
James Dennis wrote in message <373F8E0A...@earthlink.net>...

>ResLight wrote:
>
>> I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented
by
>> the Great Pyramid of Egypt.
>
>Who ever told you that is a liar. Are you communicating with Seven of Nine
or
>some other crack pot? Why don't you tell us your source of information so
we
>can all share the humor.

I am a Bible Student and trying to respond to what appears to me as absurd
claims by some in the newsgroups that Charles Taze Russell was a freemason,
involved in the "illuminati", sorcery, magick, and many other "pagan"
things. As for as I know Freemasonry as such does not advocate such things.

http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=478160362
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=478263930

I am very grateful to you and others who have responded to my questions.

Ronald R. Day

Peter Pedrotti

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99

[<resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
[> I am being told that Freemasons use the Egyptian "wing-sun-disk" as

[> Masonic symbol. Is this true?

[
[Ron, I've never seen it in connection with a Masonic Lodge. I

[can't even think of anything that would resemble it offhand.

[
<snip without prejudice>
[
[Jim Bennie

[PM, Nos. 65 & 44,
[and KT, Columbia Preceptory No. 34, Vancouver

ResLight,

True, the emblem has no meaning in the teachings or ritual of
Freemasonry, but I have seen the winged solar disk used purely as a
decorative device in a few Lodgerooms that are designed in an Egyptian
motif. Good examples on the Web are the Egyptian Hall at the GL of
Pennsylvania <www.grandlodge.org> and the Egyptian/Chapter Room at the
GL of New York <www.nymasons.org>. Take the "cybertours" at those
sites.

In a Masonic Lodge, it has no more meaning than a Greek Key border in
a "Doric Room", heraldic emblems in a "Gothic Room" or fleur-de-lis in
a "French Room".

Peter Pedrotti, PM

Dave Mavity

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
ResLight wrote:

> I also have a few more questions.
>

> I am being told that Freemasons use the Egyptian "wing-sun-disk" as a
> Masonic symbol. Is this true?

Never seen it in Blue Lodge or York Rite. There is, however, an
astonishingly beautiful Masonic Temple in Salt Lake City that has, among
other variously decorated rooms, an Egyptian Lodge room. I attended a
meeting there once, but I'm not real sure what a wing-sun-disk looks
like, so I couldn't tell you if there is one there.

> I am also being told that the Cross/Crown/Wreath symbol is a Masonic symbol.
> I have been unable to verify this. Is this true?

Symbol of the Chivalric(sp?) Orders of the York Rite of Freemasonry.

> Is the "Great Seal" symbol on the back of the US dollar actually a Masonic
> symbol?

Probably not, as a whole lot of people who were not Masons contributed
to the Great Seal. As an open offer to the group, however, I would be
willing to have ya'll mail me any suspect dollar bills you have-I'll
check 'em out for ya.
Dave Mavity MM
Golden City Lodge #1 AF&AM Golden, CO

> Ronald R. Day

Peter Pedrotti

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
On Mon, 17 May 1999 16:19:59 GMT, rf...@chele.cais.net (Dr. Roger M.
Firestone) wrote:

[In article <7hnk7f$b8j$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
[ResLight <resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:
[>I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is
represented by
[>the Great Pyramid of Egypt. Yet I have been told in the past by some

ResLight,

At all times in any discussion with Masons it is imperative that you
remember that we have among us members of numerous religions with an
infinite variety of their own interpretations of our ritual and its
consequences for them. Moreover, no one man speaks for the Craft. (You
may even disregard my comments without loss.)

All of the points Dr. Firestone makes may reasonably be considered
_implied_ teaching of Masonry. Masonry does not in fact teach his
list, but his points are reasonable to infer, but only if one chooses
to do so. They are most emphatically not doctrinal points on which
even a minority of Masons are likely to precisely agree. Personally, I
think his list is a slight embellishment and results from a little
straining of the actual ritual. As a Freemason and a freeman, he is
100% entitled to strain away.

Even the central notion that a Mason must believe in a Supreme Being
is not _precisely_ as he (and most Masons) answer when asked.
The only point on topic that can be stated without interpretive input,
at least in F&AM of California (a rather representative example of a
"regular" Grand Lodge), is that a candidate must be willing to name a
Supreme Being when asked in Whom he puts his trust. He will never
again be asked for such a statement of religious belief for the rest
of his Masonic life. The only ongoing requirement is that he never
"teach atheism", but in practice may become an atheist, or adopt any
other religious opinion, without ever being challenged by his
Brethren.

Most Masons continue to believe in, or even increase their adherence
to their faiths as a result of their membership. But the Father's
mansion has many rooms.

Peter Pedrotti, PM

Morton & Associates

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Dear Donald:

A few thoughts if I may:

> I am being told that the Freemasons teach that the Church is represented
by
> the Great Pyramid of Egypt.

Nope. Freemasons don't comment on specific faiths as a matter of Masonic
conduct. We believe that each man has to come to God in his own way.

Yet I have been told in the past by some members
> of Freemasonry that Masons, as such, do not advocate any particular
> religion.

Absolutely true. Although I personally take a great deal of pleasure when I
see a Mason's masonic activities lead into stronger faith. Actually, a lot
of our lessons are designed to do just that. For instance, I was able to
give up a life-long habit of taking the Lord's name in vain after one of the
degrees in the Scottish Rite.

Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
> Church?

No. That's ridiculous.

Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

Not in and of itself. It claims to teach brotherhood under the guidance of
God. In acknowledgement of his being the Creator of all, we often call him
The Great Architect of the Universe. Masonry, per se, is not Christian, and
is open to all men of faith: Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhist, Taoists,
and so forth. In my lodge are several religious Jews, at least one devout
Muslim, and many good Christians. All residing in friedship and brotherly
love. Too bad more of the world isn't like that, isn't it?

> Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God?

Directly? Not much. As I mentioned, we are NOT a substitute for your faith,
or for your church. God is the Creator, The Great Architect of the
Universe, to whom all Masons, from the Worshipful Master in the East ot the
youngest Enterred Apprentice in the northeast corner of the lodge, shoud bow
in reverence.

the condition of the dead?

Nothing. Although I suspect you are talking here about some work done in
one of the degrees, which of course no Mason can comment on. I will tell
you this: despite what some of the tract-sellers tell you, there is nothing
here which contradicts Christian thought.

the immortality of the human soul?

The Craft I believe teaches the immortality of the soul. I can't tell you
how I look forward to finally being able to meet my dad again (he died, a
Master Mason, when I was four), take him by the hand, and tell him how much
I missed him. As a devout Christian, I hope my dad finds me, as does God
through the mercy of His Son, to be a good man. If I am, Masonry is largely
responsible for it.

the hope of life after death?

See above.

> These are not trick questions, nor am I trying to start any kind of

> argument. I sincerely want to know.

I guess that's about it, Mr. Day. You may recall a little disturbance in
the Temple of Solomon when Our Lord got a little tired of all the financial
dealings going on there. Take a look at most of the "religious" folk who
want to sell you a little something to "prove" that Masonry is un-Christian.
Note that none of their lies are free: you not only have to buy into their
untruths, they want you to pay them for the privilege. Isn't there
something in Exodus about not bearing false witness against your neighbors?
Masonry is about brotherly love. They are about money.

Then take a look at a number of well-known masons and a number of well-known
anti-Masons. I'd much rather be standing before the Throne of Diving Grace
with men like Washington, Truman, MacArthur, Kipling, Sibelius, and Goethe
than with men like Hitler, Stalin and John Ankerberg.

Don't know if this helps or not. Just the random thoughts of a Mason and a
Christian.

Howard Morton

Jack Hickey

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
<resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I have been told in the past by some members of Freemasonry that
> Masons, as such, do not advocate any particular
>religion.

This is correct.

>Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
>Church?

No.

>Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

No.

>Also, what does freemasonry teach concerning the nature of God? the
>condition of the dead? the immortality of the human soul? the hope of life
>after death?

All of the above: Nothing at all.

Jack Hickey, MM
Senior Deacon
Masonic Awareness Committee
Isaiah Thomas Lodge
Worcester MA

ResLight

May 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/20/99
I wish to thank everyone for their kind responses. It has been very
englightening and helpful.

Ronald R. Day

Tom Spinks

May 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/21/99

ResLight wrote in message <7hnk7f$b8j$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

Does Freemasonry teach that the Great Pyramid represents the
>Church? Does Freemasonry claim to be Christian?

I have been a mason for 18 years and this is the first time that I have
heard of the Great Pyramid representing the Church. Which Church ? I'd
like to know more.

Freemasonry is not Christian. It is not a religion, nor is it a substitute
for one. I recently attended the Confirmation ceremony of a fellow mason's
son. All the masons there were Christian but viewed it from different
angles i.e. I tend to view my religion as being a Primitive Methodist but I
was next to a man who is High Anglican. We both know Jews, Hindus and
Moslems who are members. Their religion is their own concern. All that it
important, as far as religion goes, is that they believe in a Supreme Being
and try to follow the precepts of their Holy Book - whichever one it is

Jack Hickey

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
On Sun, 16 May 1999 20:59:29 -0400, "ResLight"
<resl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I am being told that Freemasons use the Egyptian "wing-sun-disk" as a
>Masonic symbol. Is this true?

I've never seen it in a Craft lodge and, after checking with several
of the brethren who are active in the appendant bodies, I wouldn't
expect to see it there either.

>I am also being told that the Cross/Crown/Wreath symbol is a Masonic symbol.
>I have been unable to verify this. Is this true?

This symbol IS used in one of the appendant bodies.

>Is the "Great Seal" symbol on the back of the US dollar actually a Masonic
>symbol?

Symbolism is where you find it, Ronald. I've been told that the
Great Seal is not a Masonic symbol in itself, but parts of it may be
used by Masons in another context.

The Alchemist

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
The pyramid and all seeing eye, along with the 'cherubim' (a.k.a. winged
Egyptian Goddess) has been used in the Rectified Scottish Rite, and the
Memphis Rite of France, but not in any Blue Lodge.
--
The Alchemist (and Illuminati)
http://www.jacksonville.net/~park/spr.htm

The Alchemist

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
I was told, told, mind you that wings down is Southern Jurisdiction and up
is Northern Jurisdiction of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite, USA.
The double headed eagle is also found on various coats of arms of Europe.

--

ParmerPsyD <parme...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Alchemist, or anyone who knows, what's the difference in meaning between
the
> double-headed eagle with wings up and with wings down? Sure, I can ask at
the
> Rite, but I forget. E-mail me if you don't want to say here.
>
> -John Parmer

The Alchemist

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
I found something else. Our "American" eagle with wings spread signifies
St. John (doesn't say which one). If there is a serpent in the mouth, it
means victory of Christ over Satan.

Double headed eagle is of Byzantine and pre-Revolutionary Russian origin and
was also used by Prussia. It originated from the Hittite symbolism for the
twin gods of power and omniscience. No reference here to wings being spread
masonically.

--
The Alchemist (and Illuminati)
http://www.jacksonville.net/~park/spr.htm
ICQ 36102673
"The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young
know everything -- Wilde

The Alchemist <pa...@jacksonville.net> wrote in message

ParmerPsyD

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

ParmerPsyD

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Thanks. It's also apparenly on the Polish flag, as I saw waving on CNN the
other night?

- John Parmer