[Aioe.org] Small changes

Aioe

Sep 8, 2005, 10:59:52 AM9/8/05
Those who are using news.aioe.org should consider a few changes:

1. The NNTP over SSL (nntps) has now an higher, possibly unlimited, speed
2. The maximum badwidth per IP (without SSL) is now 8Kb/s per *IP* (instead
of 6 Kb/s per connection)

cheers

Curious

Sep 16, 2005, 12:00:12 AM9/16/05
Aioe <est...@aioe.org> wrote:

Intrigued by the "unlimited" speed, tried your nntps by simply
specifying Port 563 when failed to get info on how to do that from a
look at your site. Tried a test post but got "Banlist" message when
tried posting in alt.test, forgetting aioe does not allow that. Later
I tried to post with the regular NNTP and got a "Banlist". Did my
trying the nntps simply specifying Port 563 put me in the "Banlist"?

Aioe

Sep 16, 2005, 2:54:35 AM9/16/05
Curious wrote:

> Intrigued by the "unlimited" speed, tried your nntps by simply
> specifying Port 563 when failed to get info on how to do that from a
> look at your site. Tried a test post but got "Banlist" message when
> tried posting in alt.test, forgetting aioe does not allow that.

are you a spammer?

my current banlist:

Newsgroups:alt\.religion\.scientology:R: PAZZI
From:smhong\@mindspring\.com:R: FLOOD
From:flatfish\@linuxmail\.org:R: REPOST

[header:regex:action:comment]

Curious

Sep 16, 2005, 4:33:31 AM9/16/05
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:54:35 +0200, Aioe <est...@aioe.org> wrote:

>Curious wrote:
>
>> Intrigued by the "unlimited" speed, tried your nntps by simply
>> specifying Port 563 when failed to get info on how to do that from a
>> look at your site. Tried a test post but got "Banlist" message when
>> tried posting in alt.test, forgetting aioe does not allow that.
>
>are you a spammer?

Did this jerk file a complaint?

"Baxter Tocher" <bto...@yahoo.com>

Alan Connor

Sep 16, 2005, 4:37:05 AM9/16/05

<snicker>

AC

Alan Connor

Sep 16, 2005, 5:04:42 AM9/16/05
On alt.free.newsservers, in
<4nvki1l2k8u3p095o...@4ax.com>, "Curious" wrote:

95% of the posters on this group (6 people in total) are
jerks. Usenet vermin.

I have my newsreader set to leave the bodies
on the server by default.

How I dream of the day when newsadmins will configure their
servers to rewrite the From headers to whatever alias the
holder of an account registered with, which would be unique.

(It's easy enough to determine whether an alias is unique
through GG. Simple script. No need for a special database.)

It would take a while, but that change alone would heal
the Usenet.

As it is, some snot-nosed child with his Mommy's computer
can wreck a dozen newsgroups all by himself.

And spam (ideological or commercial or nuisance) thousands of
groups a day.

They run rings around the newsadmins, simply because they don't
have the sense, and/or courage, to implement the practice I
outline above.

As long as killfiles don't work, the Usenet will be a shithole.

And a lot of people, like the folks at M$, would love to see it
die, hating free speech and free Windows tech support and free
support for alternative OSs.

AC

Aioe

Sep 16, 2005, 6:20:08 AM9/16/05
Alan Connor wrote:

> How I dream of the day when newsadmins will configure their
> servers to rewrite the From headers to whatever alias the
> holder of an account registered with, which would be unique.

this is an expensive procedure
it implies an alias for each user

Mike Dee

Sep 16, 2005, 7:25:57 AM9/16/05
Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote in

> 95% of the posters on this group (6 people in total) are
> jerks. Usenet vermin.

Alan Connor, you must be usenet's worlds hugest jerk.

I've seen and read your postings in other NG's that you, ahem,
"contribute" to. Why, oh why, don't you just get a life? or at least
try to be constructive and help others in a positive manner instead of
your constant "down putting" of anything and everything of potential
greatness?

--
dee

Alan Connor

Sep 16, 2005, 8:11:42 AM9/16/05

No way around that. But I don't think it would be _that_
expensive. Most newsservers require a username and
password...

It would mean registration.

The server could note the IP when a user logged in, then
reject posts from that IP that didn't have the alias they
registered with (just the name part, not the address, immediately
following "From: " and then followed by a space).

That would be less expensive, wouldn't it? You already do a lot
filtering. I've heard a lot of complaints about it here :-)

People would learn to use their "real" alias in a hurry.

I guess I'm going to have to install Cnews or Inn2 and learn
the basics of News Administration in the real world.

AC

Sébastien WILLEMIJNS

Sep 16, 2005, 9:17:14 AM9/16/05
>95% of the posters on this group (6 people in total) are
>jerks. Usenet vermin.

! :-)

--
Sébastien WILLEMIJNS, France
www.willemijns.com

Mike Dee

Sep 16, 2005, 9:46:15 AM9/16/05
Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote nothing new:

> It would mean registration.

Sheesh, what a newb!
Here, let me help you, Rube:
<http://news.aioe.org/en/article.php3?id_article=64>

--
dee

Aioe

Sep 16, 2005, 10:36:15 AM9/16/05
Alan Connor wrote:

> It would mean registration.

it's untrue :L

if *every* user has got his own alias, a server has to hadle many thousands
of them. This requires a large *mail* server, bandwidth, a lot of system
resources. When somebody sends an email to one, the server has to analyze
the message checking whether is spam. If the mail passes all checks, the
server has to send it to the destination mail server. An email used in the
USENET articles is bombarded by spammers with bulk messages and the server
has to keep clean its mails.
I /can't/ present this service because it's too expensive. It costs more
than the NNTP server and it's only a goody.

Alan Connor

Sep 16, 2005, 5:55:26 PM9/16/05
On alt.free.newsservers, in <dgel8v$962$1...@domitilla.aioe.org>,
"Aioe" wrote:

You nailed it. I _was_ thinking in terms of an MTA, assuming a
newsserver had the same basic capabilities.

But speaking of mail, This is a job that could be done by
procmail, which works as well with posts as it does mail, because
of their similarities.

Would require somewhat more cpu cycles and memory/swap, but no
more bandwidth.

AC

Maxx Pollare

Sep 16, 2005, 6:35:54 PM9/16/05
Reality folded in on itself, and somewhere the following words from
"Alan Connor" apeared in history:

> 95% of the posters on this group (6 people in total) are jerks.
> Usenet vermin. I have my newsreader set to leave the bodies
> on the server by default.

Xnews default... No biggie...

> How I dream of the day when newsadmins will configure their servers
> to rewrite the From headers to whatever alias the holder of an
> account registered with, which would be unique. (It's easy enough
> to determine whether an alias is unique through GG. Simple script.
> No need for a special database.)

Lets step back from the "easiness" or such a check for a sec...

What you advocating is that server be alowed to re-write every user's
post, which by current "rules" is discuraged/illegal/imoral.

Now, I could see some severs enforce the use a "Regersterd Ident",
one that's ethier setup at the time you register with the server, or
anytime before you're alowed to post. With such a server only your
Register Ident would be able to post from that account.

Locking any post filtering by the IP is a fools game, since very few
people have fixed IP addresses...

Hey, I'd sign-up on one. But I doubt anyone would giveup their
freadoms just to please a few people...

> It would take a while, but that change alone would heal the Usenet.

Again, you assuming it's broken...
The usenet hasn't changed much since "the great remnaming".
It's always had it's share of trolls & nym-shifters.

> As it is, some snot-nosed child with his Mommy's computer can

> wreck a dozen newsgroups all by himself. And spam thousands of

> groups a day. They run rings around the newsadmins, simply because
> they don't have the sense, and/or courage, to implement the
> practice I outline above.

Trying for another angle?

No Alan, the Usenet is a collection of individualy controled servers,
not one governed body. Admins are more them able to set up any sort
of filtering they please (or are capable of), but the moment somone
else doen't see thier fiends posts...

You can't "fix" the Usenet by RANTing in a few newsgroups. If you
realy want to some good, learn to filter at home first.

> As long as killfiles don't work, the Usenet will be a shithole.

Killfiles work... You just haven't worked with them long enough to
make em work for you. SLRN is helping there ethier, since you can't
easily see the affects of your filtering in realtime.

I hate to say this, but you sieriously need to setup Windows box with
Xnews & Hamster, just so you can teach yourself how to filter again.

> And a lot of people, like the folks at M$, would love to see it
> die, hating free speech and free Windows tech support and free
> support for alternative OSs.

Speculation....

--
Maxx "What's That Score" Pollare...

* Score-File Dump: http://www.dragonfur.ca/nowhere *

Alan Connor

Sep 16, 2005, 7:26:14 PM9/16/05
On alt.free.newsservers, in <Xns96D3A8D90...@news.dragonfur.ca>, "Maxx Pollare" wrote:

http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

According to GG, (I can check people's posting histories with
a single keystroke) you have only posted 221 times in the last
year.

Horseshit. You probably post more than that in a single day,
under various aliases and through various newsservers.

Which means that you are an ignorant fuck, because you never shut
your big mouth long enough to learn anything.

It'll be a cold day in hell when I bother reading any of your
articles.

That goes for almost every alias on this newsgroup.

Run along, little boy. One day, you'll be forced to post with the
same alias every time, and will find yourself truly killfiled
from one end of the Usenet to the other

Or you'll change your ways.

AC

Mike Dee

Sep 16, 2005, 8:44:25 PM9/16/05
Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote nothing constructive:

> It'll be a cold day in hell when I bother reading any of your
> articles.

I'm beginning to think that this must be an accurate description of
your usenet persona, after all:

<http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/alanconnor.shtml>

--
dee

Alan Connor

Sep 16, 2005, 9:22:06 PM9/16/05
On alt.free.newsservers, in <slrndimksm....@b29x3m.invalid>, "Alan Connor" wrote:

<snip>

I thought "Max" might be interested in what the report on his
posting history under this alias reveals:

<quote>

author:Maxx author:Pollare
Results 1 - 40 of 125

[60 missing posts: The script requests 100, so you've been
using the X-No-Archive: yes header]

from Sep 16, 2004 to Sep 16, 2005

[this is a sorted list of the newsgroups you posted on]

alt.comp.freeware
alt.comp.freeware
alt.comp.freeware
alt.comp.freeware
alt.comp.freeware
alt.fan.furry
alt.free.newsservers
alt.free.newsservers
alt.lifestyle.furry
alt.lifestyle.furry
alt.os.windows-xp
alt.privacy.anon-server
alt.windows-xp
comp.robotics.misc
de.alt.test
hamster.en.config
news.admin.net-abuse.email
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
news.software.readers
rec.ponds
rec.ponds
rec.ponds
rec.ponds

/quote

Your a troll. No doubt about it.

I've probably killscored a dozen of your aliases.

Without even having to read any of the posts involved.

AC

Maxx Pollare

Sep 17, 2005, 3:31:24 AM9/17/05
Reality folded in on itself, and somewhere the following words from
"Alan Connor" apeared in history:

<snip>

The number of visible posts in Google Groups is not an accurate
measure one's online activities, and at best is a flawed tool...

Any fool who believe all the world must be archive for all eternity,
by web site who's primary motive for existence is making money (in
one form or another), is ether deceiving himself or truly blind.

I validate my online existence by choosing where my posts are
publicly archived and will fight any website (in court if necessary)
that takes away that right. That is my conviction. Whether you see me
as a troll or not because of that is not an issue.

But, the fact that you openly snuff & slander my posts without even
reading the contents only proves your current blindness...

Here I thought you of all people would be open to debate.
To quote (http://tinyurl.com/8pulz):

"I simply prefer to keep Usenet discussions on the Usenet,
a public forum, and out of my mailbox, which is NOT a public
forum, by my choice. Anyone who REALLY wants to communicate
with me in a non-frivolous way, can simply ASK me what my
email address is. Is that so hard to do? Responses to posts,
in my opinion, belong on the Usenet where EVERYONE can benefit
from them."

But since your refusing to even communicate, breaking your own
cardinal rules, there can be no conversation...
Now or anytime in the future... Pity...