Three Sisters Soup

Claudia McCreary

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

These two recipes are from The Three Sisters Cookbook on the Onieda Nation
web page:

Three Sisters Stew

l tablespoon olive or cannola oil
l large onion, sliced
l clove garlic, crushed
l jalapeno chili, finely chopped
4 cups yellow summer squash, sliced (about 1 pound)
4 cups zucchini, cut into l inch pieces (about 2 medium)
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 1 large)
3 cups green beans, cut into l inch pieces (about 1 pound)
l cup frozen whole kernel corn
l teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 l6-ounce cans kidney beans, undrained

Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and chili in
oil about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender. Stir in
remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat 10-15 minutes, stirring
frequently until squash is tender Yield: 6 servings Nutrition per serving:
calories 310, percent calories iron fat 12%, sodium 360 mg, cholesterol 0
mg.'

Chunky Vegetarian Chili

1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 cups cubed potato (about 3 medium)
1 15-16 oz. can pinto beans rinsed & drained
1 15-16 oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup cubed zucchini squash
1 14.5 oz can no-added-salt whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 6-oz. can no-added-salt tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Coat a large Dutch oven with vegetable cooking spray, add oil and heat
until hot. Add chopped onions, green pepper, celery; sauté 4-5 minutes, or
until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add beans, potatoes and next nine
ingredients; stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 30
minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Stir occasionally while
cooking.

Yield: 2 quarts (eight 1-cup servings)
Nutrition per serving: calories 170, percent fat calories 5%, sodium 386
mg., cholesterol 0 mg.
--
Claudia McCreary
For Claudia's Cooking Newsletter celebrating low-fat and sugar-free cooking

Peter Vogel <peter...@odyssey.on.ca> wrote in article
<331f8aec.178341756@news>...
> I hope I'm posting this correctly. I have a cub camp coming up and we
> would like to make "Three Sisters Soup". This is a First Peoples soup
> using corn, beans, and squash. Does anyone have a recipe. One that
> 9-11 year old boys might eat would be ideal, but the key is that they
> be able to make it (with supervision).
> When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, however unlikely,
must be the case. - S. Holmes

Peter Vogel

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97